Speaker 1: And we continue at eight point five in the evening here in the state of California. And as Frank just said, the polls are officially closed, but just because the polls are closed doesn't mean the results are in not.
Speaker 2: Even closed now at least La County went up front and said, you're not getting anything till at least eight thirty. But I'm looking at updates from San Francisco and Alameda County. Nothing yet and have even got the Secretary of State's office website ready to go, and zero points zero percent of results have been reported so far.
Speaker 1: Now, it should be noted that the results are produced by the various counties. The county registrars are the ones that tally up the votes and then send them to the Secretary of State. So some counties will report earlier than others, so we might have some results to bring you.
Speaker 2: This is what's fun on the interactive map on CNN's web site. Because everyone's at zero percent, Katie Porter is still in the running. There you go, it's a tie for Katie. Get out of my up and shut all right, Well, we wait for the results to come in.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and check in with our pal Daniel Guss, who is the editor of The Gus Report. You can get him online at Daniel Gus dot substack dot com and follow him on Exit the Gus Report. Daniel Guss, Welcome, Sean and Randy.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me and I have a big grin on my face tonight. I feel the energy and I hope you do too well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of energy, there is no one that's generated more energy in this election than Spencer Pratt, former reality show star candidate for mayor of Los Angeles, a man who really has a Mister Smith goes to Washington style story where his home was burned down due to the fa of the city and the state and the county. And the more he dug into the why, the angrier he got, and he decided to turn that anger into activism, which resulted in him putting his name on the ballot and running from mayor right.
Speaker 3: And he is literally an everyman. But the special sauces, they may call it in Katie Porter's mashed potato mix, the special sauce is that he is a guy who has lived, you know, for the past twenty years in the spotlight, and he has shown himself to not only be poised under national coast to coast scrutiny with the major news outlets in New York and LA and all the everywhere outside of LA and within God, we have a terrible news media contingent in LA. And somehow his background in television and social media made him almost the perfect storm of a candidate to handle the intense scrutiny. But most importantly, I think he is just a plain speaking guy who really can convey what he has gone through, which is really what we've all gone through. But he is on a catastrophic level.
Speaker 1: And he seems to really have gotten under the skin of Karen Bass, who thought she was going to breeze to reelection and it's going to be a little bit tougher than she anticipated.
Speaker 3: Oh I think it's going to be much tougher. We're seeing her continue to gaslight all of Los Angeles from the moment he got in until this afternoon, where she doesn't know how to respond to somebody who actually speaks plain language to regular people, but who can handle the intense media scrutiny. And I will tell you I've been very impressed with him because he has had a logical, normal and balanced response to all of the insane questions that our media contingent and I'm talking about you Los Angeles Times, who Yeah, let's not forget the LA Times said it was a mistake. The owner said it was a mistake to endorse Karen Bass. And so Spencer Pratt has a way of speaking normal life experiences to regular people and it's resonating. Luckily for us, we actually have a chance, normal people have a chance this election. For the first time in a quarter century or more.
Speaker 1: Spencer had a fine showing at the debate that he participated in with Karen Bass and Socialist councilwoman Nitia Rahman, and there were scheduled debates after that first debate between the three of them, and the mayor pulled out of those subsequent debates. If he ends up making the November ballot with Karen Bass, would assume she's going to be forced to debate him yet again, and that puts her in a situation that she doesn't want to be in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually think it's it's even worse than that. For Karen Bass is in the time of his life. He is like forty one or forty two. He is a full thirty years younger. Than Karen Bass. He has the wind in his sails, and Karen Bass still has a day job where she's got to be mayor. Yeah, she's got the soapbox, but her soapbox is stuffed with one controversy after another, And so Spencer Pratt is somebody who has nothing but time and energy.
Speaker 1: Nythia Rahman, as I mentioned, is the other candidate, other main candidate in the race. She's a member of the city Council. She's a member of the Democratic Socialists of America. And one thing that struck me is awe involving her in her campaign is she seemed to have gotten tripped up every time someone asked her why are you running? Because prior to becoming a candidate, she endorsed Karen Bass for reelection. She endorsed her after the fires. She endorsed her after it was clear that her project inside Safe Program that was meant to reduce homelessness wasn't producing the results that she had promised. And she seems to not have a very good answer as to the why.
Speaker 3: Well, I can tell you. I'm going to tell you right now, John and Randy today at La City Council. Nithia was not you know she was not out doing the you know, the last minute rushed in campaigning. She was at city council. She was slumped over like an impetuous kid who looked like she knew it was over. And I think she knew it was over at least as far back as that debate when she couldn't handle basic questions and that one history moment in mind, and you guys, you guys are historians on local politics, that one moment where she struggled to give an answer, and the while she was doing that, the camera cut over to Spencer Pratt and he was doing this this this look as if to say, hey, she has no answer to this question. And I think it's been downhill since it's been it's been, it's been down it's been downhill since then. And then of course she wants to ban barbecues in a city with African Americans, in a city with Korean Americans, in a city with the Mexicans and Suburbonites. Everybody, barbecue's here, and this nit wit, Nithiya Rahman wants to ban barbecues ahead of Memorial Day weekend. No less, so she nine only doesn't have the answer to why she has no handle on day to day life her. The one thing that that that that keeps us together is a backyard barbecue. Even vegans and vegetarians, they'll grill their veggies, and Nathia Raman wants to ban it. So yeah, it's it's it's worse than Itia. And she knows she's doa and she's known it for a while.
Speaker 1: To my eye, and maybe you disagree, I don't know. But the reason that I believe she got in this race is she saw an opportunity. She saw what happened in New York City with Mom Donnie. She saw what happened in Seattle, where you had a socialist candidate beat a Democratic incumbent. She saw what happened to Lori Lightfoot in Chicago, where a socialist candidate was able to defeat her. And she thought, if it could happen in Seattle and New York in Chicago, it can happen here. I might as well be the mayor right.
Speaker 3: And you could see how disloyal she is. So you know, if you're going to endorse Karen Bath, which was ill advised from the get go, and then just under the wire she decides to run, it shows you she has loyalty, not even to her own beliefs, but she's not even loyal to her own words. And she saw an opportunity as she didn't read the te leaves as to what's happening in New York and God, they went like you said, in Chicago, they went from LORI lightfoot to Johnson, I mean, And so I guess she thought that was going to happen here. But the one thing New York and Chicago didn't have was a major disaster and one of the most beautiful parts of LA in the country, with thousands of homes destroyed, tense maybe hundreds, you know, a billions and billions of dollars. What she didn't calculate is the severity of the visual and the devastation of the Palisades fire.
Speaker 1: Now going back to the topic of the DSA the Socialist candidates, there are a number of members of the La City Council who count themselves as members of the DSA who are up for election. We could see the DSA increase their ranks on the council, or we could see them lose some members. What do you see happening?
Speaker 3: Oh God, I've been through this for a few decades with you, John, you know, you always think, doesn't the public in this district realize how much worse it's been with whoever they choose. The further left they go, the worse it gets. So, you know, I'm watching the Unices thing, and I'm watching the Hugo thing, and and I'm like, it's so so just you know, there's fifteen council districts and the odd numbered council districts one, three, five, seven, nine, eleven, thirteen, and fifteen. They're all up for election now, and and so I don't know what's appealing to people who just elected Hugo Soto Martinez, who's the furthest left of them all. I have no idea in council District one what appeals to the people who put in Unices Hamburger, Hernandez just a few years ago. And so the interesting story going on, though, is in whether Klanch who's a former LAPD commissioner, will be able to which district is that is? That? Is that against Hugo, against Unices. I think it's against unities or Josh. I don't know. Is there a legitimate replacement for the dsayers? And if so, is it further to the left or to the right, so it's very unpredictable. The DSA elections have not gotten much attention or much oxygen because the mayoral race and the governor race have really sucked all the oxygen out of the room. So unfortunately, if I had to put money on it, I would be surprised if any of the Dsayers lose their office, because once you're in, it's very tough to lose that incumbency. We should hope that Tracy Park on the West Side survives against the various dsays, and I would like to think that people who we're close to the devastation in the Palisades would know that Tracy Park is doing everything within her power to restore normalcy on the West Side. So the answer is I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right. Daniel Guss, editor of The GUS Report. You can get him online at Daniel Gust dot substack dot com and follow him on Exit the Gus Report. Daniel Gush, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, It's going to be an interesting overnight is and I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: All right, it looks like we have some results that are starting to come in motech.
Speaker 2: You want to give us some of the governor's results so far.
Speaker 1: It's my chart.
Speaker 4: Good evening, it looks like Steve Hilton taking the early lead based on what I'm seeing here with looks like about eighteen percent of the votes counted if I'm reading this correctly, Steve Hilton in the lead right now with four hundred and fifty nine thousand some odd votes in the lead over Hobby or Vissera at four hundred nine thousand here at the moment, and Stire coming in third at the moment at two one hundred and ninety three thousand, Shad Bianco at one hundred and seventy nine thousand votes. This is very, very preliminary, but according to the Decision Desk headquarters, that's the latest we're getting here, the early results here and the governor's race with the polls having just closed less than twenty minutes ago. Steve Hilton taking the early lead.
Speaker 1: All right, Randy, you're keeping an eye on the City of Los Angeles, the mayor's race and the ballot initiatives. Do we have any results there?
Speaker 2: I got nothing until at least eight thirty. But here's what I do have, which is interesting because while La once again does not have their crap together. You know what county does. Orange County already has twenty one percent of their ballots counted. And here's some interesting results just from what Orange County is representing so far. Hilton did big over Bianco in Orange County. Hilton with thirty four, Bessera with twenty three, then a big drop to Styre Bianco. Katie Porter from Orange County represented Orge County has five percent of the vote there. Now, when you scroll down to those congressional races, the one that we heard a lot about was the Republican on Republican redistricting fight on the fortieth dist Or between Calvert and Young Kim. It is almost at a statistical tie.
Speaker 1: And that's where the polls were in that race, So the polls were highly accurate in that particular congressional district.
Speaker 2: Now we're still waiting for results to come in for San Francisco County, for Alameda County. Here's an interesting one. Santa Clara County has put in some results and Matt Mahan, the mayor of San Jose, the biggest city in Santa Clara County and the third biggest city in the in the state, of California has only ten percent of the vote there, and it's like less than five percent everywhere else.
Speaker 1: Not a good sign for mister Mayheon. Oh poor Matt phil TERESI. You're keeping an eye on many these contested congressional races here in California. Are we seeing any results in those contests?
Speaker 5: Yeah, again, very preliminary stuff. But in District five, Tom McClintock holding on very comfortably. If these results hold, he can go home and party tonight. Over in District six, this is the Kevin Kylie fight. Kylie currently in the lead with not quite twenty five percent of the vote, but Richard Pan right on his heels. Nothing yet coming off of District eleven. I don't know if we're going to find out about Wiener until tomorrow. But over in District thirteen, the Adam Gray fight. Adam Gray looks like he's going to hang onto that. For Democrats. D twenty Vince Fong comfortably in the lead. Twenty one Jim Costa hanging on but barely. Kyle Kirkland out of Fresno, a card room owner, local businessman, right on Costa's heels right now. And the big one, the Valideo fight versus Jazmine Baines and Randy Vegas. David Valadeo almost forty eight percent with ten percent in. Randy Viegas actually beaten the pants off of Democrat competitor jazz Meet Baines thirty four percent to just a hair over eighteen percent.
Speaker 1: All right, so there you go. Early numbers starting to roll in hery.
Speaker 2: Got some La County.
Speaker 1: We're early, everybody, How about that? What'll we see?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Here we go for measure er the sales text increase. It currently is losing in the first district to Board a Supervisors replacing Hildeeslease. It looked like it's gonna be Mariana around Atlanta Drazzo. In the third district, Lindsay Horvat is running away with it. In the Sheriff's race, Robert Luna is way ahead but not above fifty percent. In second place for that one is Alex Viannaweva. And it looks like we may even have some results in the City of Los Angeles. Nope, not yet.
Speaker 1: Don't get your hopes up wait here it is. They'll let you down every time.
Speaker 2: All right, I've got some City of Los Angeles results measure CB. The we going to tax the illegal cannabis businesses, winning by seventy two percent, measure TC, the jacking up of the hotel taxes winning by fifty seven percent measure TT changing the hotel taxes to include spa treatments currently losing. When it comes to the City Attorney's race, Marissa Roy is over John McKinney. When it comes to the controllers race, Kenneth Mahea is over Zach Sokolov. When it comes to the Mayor's race, our first batch of votes are in Bass at thirty eight, Pratt at twenty seven, Nfia at twenty. Well, those are good looking numbers for Karen Bass and Spencer Pratt. In the city council races, Unsices is currently winning handily with fifty two percent of the vote. That means she wouldn't go to a runoff. It's a pretty close race in people that you've never heard of. In District three, Kitty Orslovsky's gonna win. Monic Rodriguez was running completely unopposed. In the ninth district, it looks like Jose Lugarte is going to win, and Tracy Park looks like she is safely going to reelection in her race Unfortunately, Hugo Soto Martinez looked like he's safely moved into reelection in his race. Which is odd that it's such a good day for incumbent so far, because we know that the public is restless. That is why Karen Bass currently is only with thirty eight percent of the vote. And this is a very early tally. We should have another update later tonight, but at this point, if this holds, runoff time for Spencer Pratt.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll have more on this California primary night coming up in moments. Don't you go anywhere, and we continue on this election night here in the state of California. It's John Phillips with Randy Wang, Frank Mootech, Phil Teresi, and results are coming in.
Speaker 2: And it looks like the place that has the results coming in the quickest is actually Decision Desk HQ, where it looks like mister Frank Motech, we've got quite a result coming in for the race for governor.
Speaker 1: Breaking news here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks like Hobvio Bisera now in the early lead here in the governor's race with about forty percent. So the votes tallyed a statewide so far as Bisera in the lead with the eight hundred and forty four thousand votes or at twenty six percent. Steve Hilton just behind Bisara now with seven hundred and ninety nine thousand votes at twenty five percent. Tom Stier in at eleven percent, make that twenty percent now six hundred and forty three thousand votes accounted for stire Chad Bianco right now in the fourth place in the governor's race in the early going here coming in at eleven percent of the vote at three hundred and fifty four thousand votes. Katie Porter, by the way, behind the Bianco now at one hundred and seventy thousand votes, coming in at five percent. That's the very latest tally we're getting here with just about forty p said of the votes counted statewide.
Speaker 2: How would you feel right now if you were at Katie parties, Katie Porter's watch party. Oh well, if you're a guy, we're a cup. Here's something interesting, and you know they're showing the results not just for the top candidates, but you can see who's voting for all sixty one candidates and as of right now with the counties that are reporting in twelve thousand Californians either paid so little attention to this race or just said, screw it, I'm going to vote for the alleged rapist who dropped out. Eric Swalwell has twelve thousand votes. Twelve thousand, Betty, he has eighteen thousand, and she dropped out a month ago, so he got a vote for every person that he's friends with on Snapchat, Barack Obama. Shaw has gotten sixty five hundred votes.
Speaker 1: Well, good night for him. He's turned out of the White House, so why not run for office here?
Speaker 2: Now it looks like we're finally getting some results in for San Francisco, and of course they have it for the House district race. That's not the Nancy Pelosi race, so screw that. In Alameda County, Measure E is on a no right now, which means the voters may have finally had enough of all these parcel tech increases in Oakland.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hope that holds. All right, The results are coming in. We expect to have more updates any moment. Don't you go anywhere. It's John Phillips, Randy Wig, Frank Motech, Philtersi on this primary night in California. And we continue on this Tuesday election night in California. It's John Phillips, Randy Waning, Frank Motech, Philteri here with you, and we have more results to report. Mister Frank Motech. What's going on in the statewide constitutional offices?
Speaker 4: More breaking new for you here with javiy Or Bsera taking the early lead now a very narrow lead over Steve Hilton, the Republican candidate for governor Bisera at twenty six percent, with Hilton at twenty five percent, just about twenty six percent now with about forty two percent of the votes. Coundidate statewide that Tom syre In at twenty percent, Chad Bianco at eleven percent. We're looking now at some new numbers for the California lieutenant governor primary results. We see a Fiona ma in the lead here at twenty one percent, behind Republican Gloria Romero at eighteen and a half in Josh Friday at fourteen percent.
Speaker 1: Now, Randy Wayang, you're keeping an eye on the local races in Los Angeles and some of the ballot initiatives. What are you seeing.
Speaker 2: Measure er the jacking up of the sales taxes in Los Angeles County currently looks like it may not pass, so that is some good news. And here's a fun one the Alameda County District Attorney's office with the votes that are in. The incumbent Ursula Jones Dixon has sixty six percent of the vote. Pamela Price has twenty two percent of the vote, which means once again, two thirds of Alameda County has said no to Pamela Price and they just called that race Pammy Price. Go back to your podcast.
Speaker 1: We're also seeing some changes in the betting markets as well. In the governor's race.
Speaker 2: Bessarah's at ninety eight percent of making it, Hilton's at seventy four percent. Stier is at twenty two percent.
Speaker 1: So Hilton was at seventy percent when we started tonight at seven and Styre was it what in the low forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is now in the twenties. So it's looking like it is settling up, but still there's only a small lead. There's still a lot of counties that haven't reported. San Francisco County hasn't reported anything yet. San Diego has it really anything yet, So there's still quite a while to go here, but that's what we're seeing so far. All right, let's go to Fresno and our colleague Phil TERSI. Phil, you're keeping an eye on the congressional race. Is what results do you see?
Speaker 5: Well, one of the big ones the special election for District one, James Gallagher is in a huge lead. I mean, that's still early reporting, but if he holds onto even half of this, he is not going to have to screw around in the general election. When we head over to the McClintock race, I think that's a done deal. He's going to hang on to that. Fine. The Kevin Kylie race, that's going to be tight. Kylie leading Michael Stansfield by just a couple thousand votes right now, twenty five percent. Overall District eleven, we've got no results because San Francisco hasn't reported a blessed thing. Adam Gray is likely going to hold onto his District thirteen seed. Over in District twenty, Vince Fong a similar situation to Tom McClintock. Unless something really wild happens, this is as good as a done deal for him. The Jim Costa race, Costas pulled ahead. It was close with Kyle Kirkland, but cost has picked up quite a bit as reportings come in, David Valadeo cleanly in the lead, the Democrats neck and neck. The separation there just over one thousand votes so far. District forty, which is the Calvert young Kim fight. Right now, Ken Culvert leading Young Kim by about fifteen thousand votes, which translates to about fifteen percent. It's right now, it looks to my eyes like probably Republicans got the message about mail in balloting. I think that the reason we're seeing some of these leads right now is probably because Republicans took advantage of dropboxes in this cycle.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for those updates, Phil. Right now, let's turn to the professor of Political Science emeritus at California State University at Fullerton, Professor Barbara Stone.
Speaker 6: Welcome, Happy election night, guys.
Speaker 1: Happy election night to you. No, I know the returns. The results are primitive right now as we speak, it's not even an hour after the polls have closed, but it looks like so far, at least it's a good night for Javier Bessera Steve Hilton. The betting markets and Las Vegas certainly believe that those two are the likely top two finishers in that race. Your thoughts.
Speaker 6: Well, generally speaking, remember that probably, although not necessarily, probably Republicans are going to be overrepresented in early voting because, as I think I've said, once Donald Trump made his endorsement Republicans, most of them pretty much quit thinking about the governor's race, and therefore they didn't get hung up on for whom should they vote at the top of the ticket.
Speaker 7: Democrats did.
Speaker 6: And now one of my problems is most of the people I talked to are in Orange County, so even Democrats are in Orange County. But it wasn't they weren't going to vote. They were waiting to make sure that they boxed out the Republicans, or at least one of them. So generally, once you get later in the votes being cast, Democrats do better. Anyway, they do a lot more ballot harvesting, they have a lot more people well, they just do it their votes coming late, and this time they're probably going to come in even later, which is a babbling way of saying you should count on good Republican results even less than you usually do. But I'm thinking it looks pretty good actually.
Speaker 1: So far in Orange County. Katie Porter, who represented Irvine in the House, of representatives is in single digits. What was she pulling at Randy or coming in at.
Speaker 2: It was in the sixes or the sevens, it wasn't good and it Yeah, And in northern California and Matt Mahan's home county where San Jose sits, where he is the mayor of that city, he's only a ten percent, which is a very bad showing for him. What do you make of those two results?
Speaker 6: But I'm deadly serious that, first of all, I don't think Democrats were thrilled with the Democrat field. I may have that wrong, but that's certainly the feedback I get. And they were waiting to make sure that they didn't quote unquote.
Speaker 7: Waste their vote.
Speaker 6: And therefore I know a number of women who actually believe it or not, like Katie Porter, but they didn't want to waste their vote there. They had a strong preference. They didn't like Besara very much, but they hated Stire and so they waited until they saw the lay of the land and then they voted. So in fairness, neither Mayhan nor Porter ran well at all, but there probably was some depressing effect from the way Democrats seem to have looked at the race. The key to it, of course, is most of them didn't like any of them.
Speaker 1: Tom Steyer made the promise that, if elected, he would call for a special election to take aim at Prop thirteen, specifically the split role. I wonder if that had an impact on some of these boomer Democrats who liked the Democratic Party and generally speaking vote for Democratic candidates, but hands off Prop thirteen because that's going to hit me in my pocketbook.
Speaker 6: I think you're giving them too much credit. You could always be right. I think it may be the two or three things. The totality of stire John is out there in left field, I mean seriously out He makes Karen Bass look moderate, and so you have that as a person, he really didn't come across very well. He looks kind of like a ghost.
Speaker 7: And he's a billionaire.
Speaker 6: And when somebody says in the debate, dogs, why don't you just pay more? Oh no, my paying more wouldn't help him. Besides, all my money's in the Cayman Islands. You have some, I think, just starting right there, truly negative initial reactions to him. Did you realize that guy spent what double what everyone else all put together spent and he at this moment not looking like he's going to make the runoff.
Speaker 7: That should tell you something.
Speaker 1: In the city of Los Angeles, Karen Bass is coming in first, albeit below fifty percent.
Speaker 2: Currently the numbers are Karen Bass thirty six percent, Spencer Pratt thirty percent, Nithia twenty percent.
Speaker 1: What's your read on that.
Speaker 6: That Spencer Pratt With all my comments about late Democrat votes, that Spencer Pratt has a big shot here if you paid attention, the late polling actually had old Nthia basically even with him. As I told my son Toned, if that's the way it comes out, LA's crazier than I think. But while that's not a huge lead and will probably collapse, the fact that Bass wasn't winning by that much is going to take away a lot of the votes that might go. Eh, bas is going to be in the runoff, and I'll go with Nithia just for the fun of it. You can't just for the fun of it, So I suspect that heard.
Speaker 1: Let's take that race off the table for a second and just talk about Spencer Pratt's presence on the ballot in this cycle. He's to face an uphill battle if he does make the November ballot and face off with Karen Bass. But him exciting voters in a population center of the state like the city of Los Angeles could impact things like voter ID and the Proposition thirteen initiative on the ballot, and it could have an impact other places.
Speaker 7: Correct, Yes, yes it could.
Speaker 6: And November John is just going to be weird. Remember, you're going to have the surtax on billionaires on the ballot. Billionaires do not go down quietly, so I suspect you're seeing absolute fortune spent as well as competing initiatives. And nobody is going to go to the polls to make sure they vote for their wonderful hero Hobby or besserah so, and the most exciting thing on the ballot, it's going to be the billionaire thing.
Speaker 7: And Spencer Pratt just because.
Speaker 6: He is, and that's going to be one of the wilder things.
Speaker 1: How much chatter do you hear about Spencer Pratt in Orange County?
Speaker 7: A lot? Guy? You've got here? Well, I think you have a national figure.
Speaker 6: And the funny thing is it's not because anybody remembers him from his reality TV show. I'm sure I must know somebody who remembers that, but I haven't talked to them or they're not bringing it up. It's Batman and whatever. And basically, yes, LA has gone to the dogs, and even a whole lot of your West Side liberals seem to have figured that out, as they get burgled all the time and have to hire security and that kind of thing.
Speaker 7: So you put.
Speaker 6: Together a truly quirky candidate who's able to attract national attention with the real situation in La. Plus you're in Hollywood, Darlin, I don't care if all the studios are leaving. It's going to be wild. And I'm not going to say he's going to win. If you've noticed, he very carefully is not running as a Republican. Probably he won't, but you never know in this world. Karen Bass is pretty incompetent.
Speaker 1: Professor Barbara Stone, Professor of Political Science Emeritus at California State University at Fullerton, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 7: Okay, John, let me post this.
Speaker 1: Question to you, Phil, because Barbara's in Orange County and she said that Spencer Pratt is cutting through the noise and is a topic of conversation there. I recently was in Alaska and Las Vegas, And when people found out what I did for a living, they weren't asking me about Gavin Newsom, they weren't asking me about the governor's race. They were asking me about Spencer Pratt. How much chatter do you hear about Spencer Pratt in the Central Valley?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's huge, It's absolutely huge, And I think it's a double edged sword. It's a gift to him in fundraising if he's going to continue in this, and it looks likely he is. But the other side of that is if all of his support is coming from outside LA. While it might translate to a super cool ad campaign with more neat Batman Ai generated videos, that doesn't translate to votes if people in Alaska care and people in LA do not. But I think the Prats caught onto something. I mean, I talked to Adam Carolla about two weeks ago, and Adams interviewed Spencer a couple of times, and the antipathy with which he discussed Bass and Ramen, I think that that might translate to a real fight for Karen Bass in November.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're going to take a quick break and when we return, we'll have more results for you from tonight's primary election here in the state of California, Don't you go Anywhere, and we continue at eight fifty two. In the evening it's John Pillips, Randy Wing, Frank Motechville Teresi. We have more results coming in from the California Secretary of State's office. For more, here is mister Frank Motech breaking news on the governor's race.
Speaker 4: Steve Hilton now taking back the lead over Javier Bicerra twenty six percent to twenty five percent. Tom Sire in third, and the governor's race now at twenty percent, Shann Bianco in fourth at eleven percent, Katie Porter in fifth at five percent. With about half of the votes counted. Here in California and the lieutenant governor's primary, we see Fiona mob in the lead now it's twenty percent, followed by Republican Gloria Romero at eighteen percent. Going right down the list, the California Attorney general primary has Rob Bonta, the incumbent, in the lead fifty four percent over Republican Michael Gates who's at forty one percent. The Secretary of State primary shows Shirley Weber at fifty five percent and Donald Wagner, the GOP candidate at forty percent. Taking a look at the state Controller Leah Cohen and the lead at fifty four percent of Fallen bah Republican Herb Morgan at forty one percent. The state Insurance Commissioner's race, This is interesting, Jane Kim in the lead at twenty four percent over Senator Ben Allen coming in second in this race at twenty one percent, and the Taking a look at the state treasurer race, Alandi Kunelaka is the current Lieutenant governor and the lead now in that contest at thirty six percent over Republican Jennifer Hawks at twenty six percent.
Speaker 1: Keeping an eye on the City of Los Angeles in ballot initiatives, mister Randy Wang.
Speaker 2: Currently in the LA Mayor's race, Karen Bass is up, but not by a lot, thirty six percent over Spencer Pratt's thirty percent Nitia at twenty percent. If you're wondering about the also rans, Adam Miller got four point four percent and the other socialist Ray Hwang at two point eight percent, So at least if this holds, the socialist vote in LA is only twenty two percent.
Speaker 1: But if Spencer Pratt is going to get over fifty fifty plus one. He's going to need some of those votes to vote for him over Karen Bass or to stay at home.
Speaker 2: Well, let's remember currently Karen Bass, the incumbent, is only getting thirty six percent support.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: She's a known entity and two thirds of the city are voting against her right now.
Speaker 1: How are the tax increases looking right now?
Speaker 2: And the tax increases Measure ER looks like it will not pass, which is bad news for Barbara Frare. In Alameda County, Measure E does not look like it's going to pass.
Speaker 1: It is No.
Speaker 2: Fifty five to forty four, and the Chronicles website is buggy as hell, but it looks like here we go. Measure A is gonna pass, so we're gonna get that earthquake bond that's also going towards affordable housing. Measure C has failed. The reduction in grocery sipts tax, the screw you Overpaid CEO tax. Measure D is currently on track not to pass. So it looks both gross receipts tax measures in San Francisco are on set not to pass.
Speaker 1: Keeping an eye on the congressional races here in California. I should say the post Prop fifty Congressional races is our pal, Phil Teresi from Fresno. Phil, What are you seeing there?
Speaker 5: Well, we've got our first blush of results for District eleven, and Nancy's endorsement might not have counted for as much as they thought it would. Connie Chan with twenty eight percent of the vote, Scott Wiener forty three percent on the first reports here. That District one fight, We've still got James Gallagher with a massive leave. District six looks like a very strong possibility. Kevin Kylie is going to take on that seat, although there's only a couple of thousand votes between him and Stansfield, his Republican competitor. And I think that no party preference registration is costing Kylie a little bit, losing some of those Republican votes. In District thirteen, it is a clear lead for Adam Gray, the Democrat incumbent. Likewise, with Jim Costa over there in District twenty one, D two to two, this is one of the big fights. This is the David Valadeo. Valadeo still comfortably in the lead, but Rudy Viegas Randy Veegus, excuse me, pretty cleanly beating Jazz meat Bains with early returns. It's again looking like Republican early returns served well. But they are not the only results now, Thank goodness. Ken Calvert very much had a young Kim still a fifteen percent lead in District forty.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for those results.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, we have our first concession in the race for California governor, and Tonio Viragosa has called it quits. Oh, tonight did not turn out the way we hoped. And I offer my congratulations to the winners and offer my best wishes for the road ahead. And no, he's not endorsing anybody.
Speaker 1: And he and Javier Bessera have had a long standing feud with one another ever since Besera and Viragosa ran against each other for mayor of Los Angeles. They've been pretty much fighting in the sane lane for many different races. There is no love lost between them and Tonio Viragosa's political career.
Speaker 2: Ended tonight at eight fifty seven.
Speaker 1: And Frank, one thing to keep in mind is that as the ballots continue to come in, because if it was postmarked by today, the ballot will count. Sometimes these results change over time. We know sometimes the state of California can take up to a month to count ballots. When Rick Caruso was running for mayor of Los Angeles, he went to bed on election night thinking that he was well ahead of Karen Bass, and oh boy, did things change.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. I remember that night very well. We were all together that night and looked like Caruso was winning on primary election night as well as on the general election night. But then what about ten days, a couple of weeks later, the results were not the same. Let me bring this up here, State Center District twenty four. This is the west side of Los Angeles where the firestorms occurred, and the Palisades and Malibu, also covers of Beverly Hills and other cities on the west side. G Rick Marshall, Republican, is in the lead now at twenty percent, over Brian Goldsmith, the Democratic candidate at nineteen percent, and Christina Irwin, another Republican candidate in third in that race at sixteen percent. We're keeping an eye on that one here in the homestretch.
Speaker 1: And Phil, I would imagine that tomorrow morning, a lot of eyeballs in Washington are going to look at these results of the congressional races to find out just exactly how many of these seats look like they could go one way or the other, to determine how much money is going to come to California in the general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that District six, District twenty two, probably District twenty one, you're going to see a pile of money coming in. But my expectation at this point is that rather than being clear of this nonsense, tomorrow we begin the general election cycle in ernest I can't imagine Tom Steyer taking a graceful bow out, but Mucinex spokesmodel Katie Porter is definitely going to be wrapping it up tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, that's going to do it for us tonight. You can listen to Randy and I weekdays from noon to three on KABC and KSFO. You can listen to Randy from five to six in LA Break Motech the Voice of Business of Southern California on seven ninety KABC from four to five in the afternoon, and film Terressi, the Voice of Fresno on KMJ. You can listen to him two to six weekdays in the Central Valley. Thank you gentlemen for being here, and we'll see you tomorrow on the radio.