Speaker 1: Running here from Berkeley cal Football Media Day. We got a whole mishmash to get to on a Tuesday, busy, busy day yesterday on Papa and Silver with the trade deadline, and it didn't stop because we signed off and then the Elliott Ramos news became official. On top of that, Eric Miller got traded as well. So we were kind of talking at the very end of the show and I said, JD, I'm a little bit afraid this is going to be just the status quo Ray Arise Killian attached in the Arise deal. Tyler Mallley was the night before. I don't know if we were gonna get much more. I was incorrect by that. And Buster Posey ends up flipping six different players at the deadline, a whole bunch of prospects to get to. And we are off and running in Berkeley today. So we got to talk a lot of Niners. We certainly will rehash the trade deadline, and we got a couple of Berkeley guests coming by as well, so it should be a nice fun day.
Speaker 2: What's going on, man, Yeah, it's great to be out here. The fog, the malaise starting to burn off out here. Beautiful. I forg gotten and how beautiful this this stadium is, frankly, and I've not been here a lot through the years, even growing up in northern California working in the Bay Area for for a long time. But this is a this is a venue, man Like, I'm just kind of taking away a little bit by by just being here in the perch and where we're set up, and it's it's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Not a terrible office for the day. And Tyler tim is one of the best at getting all the logistics all set up.
Speaker 2: He's like, work here semi regularly. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: In fact, stay tuned for a little bit of news coming later toward the end of the show.
Speaker 2: We'll talk all about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the fog is burning off quickly and so ever since they did the renovations there in the early mid twenty tens, I mean, this is something that it's a pretty good view to be out here.
Speaker 2: And another reminder, as we see.
Speaker 1: A lot of our local media hanging out as players are on the field, they got the pillars of excellence up on the scoreboard right now.
Speaker 2: Relentless effort, ball excellence, power of unit.
Speaker 1: We'll talk all about that, we'll touch the boy, but just to recap the end of yesterday, I mean, yeah, Buster Posey, this is two trade deadlines around now where he has gone to selling. And Dwaynekuiper said it well on the Morning Show. We're not really used todays like yesterday where Brian Sabian would do a lot of buying. There would be investment in trying to make something out of the end of the season, going aggressive to try to win. Buster Posey was pretty aggressive. On the other end, we weren't sure Elliott Ramos was going to find a new home. He's now in New York Yankee. And then, as we talked about in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline, if you can flip a bullpen arm for anybody of value, I think you go and do that. They decided that Eric Miller was a chance to take a flyer on Marcelo Meyer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did it, and we talked about Eric Miller a lot yesterday and the Giants. I think Buster Posey would have loved going back to the start of the season to be in a position to where he could have added and been among the many teams who did add But the one thing now we've seen, unfortunately two years in a row, is the Giants being this position where the appropriate measure is to sell and to what level? I don't think anybody fully knew, but I think if you took twenty twenty five Giants trade deadline as a primer for the twenty twenty six Giants trade deadline, you knew that at a minimum, everybody on an expiring deal was probably going to be moved. And they Giants were able to check those boxes relatively early in the morning and heading toward the afternoon, which left them some time to be able to determine, all right, do you really want to give up Eric Miller for Meyer? Do you and a flyer on somebody that was at one point a top top prospect in the majors and the number four overall pick in the draft? The answer is I think yes, like that makes a lot of sense to take that level of flyer. And then you had some time to sort through what could you get from the Yankees for a right handed bat in Elliott Ramos that still has a couple of years left of team control, and how do you continue to bolster the pitching depth and the pitching in the minor leagues to set up what could very well be a formidable giant staff toward the back end of say twenty twenty eight and twenty twenty nine and beyond.
Speaker 1: Well, just to recap it all, yesterday, Tyler Mallley went to the Braves. That was his Sunday night news. They got Anthony Molina, right handed pitcher, just talked about Eric Miller to the Red Sox, Marcelo Meyer, Robbie Ray. That happened during our show goes to the Padres and they got a couple of prospects in return, right handed pitcher Miguel Mendez and then the seventeen year old shortstop prospect Jony al Hernandez in the Luisa Rise deal with Caleb Killy and attached to it. They got a reliever from Marty Jaiyere and then probably along with Marcelo Meyer, the other highly touted prospect that now is number two in pitching behind Jackson Flora in the farm system. That's Ramon Marquez, the rity that they feel really good about. And then with Elliott Ramos, it was a six foot seven lefty Henry Lalaine. And then of course Jeff Kent's son, Kayden Kent. It's funny Jeff Kent. They played the audio on the Morning Show How he was on after the Hall of Fame induction, talked about having still a little bit of love there for the Yankees can't go full giant.
Speaker 2: Well now that's changed.
Speaker 1: And he also said, if he's sitting two forty in the miners, I'm gonna kill him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forget about the Yankees. Now he's a Giant. And so that that was another cool part of the way everything wound up playing out. But I think the big thing that stands out to me as you look through a lot of these deals, and I won't run through all of them because you just did, but Ramon Marquez fourth ranked prospect in terms of the Phillies, you look at at a lot of these guys, your fourth ranked prospect, one of the guys they get from the Padres, ninth ranked prospect. The other player that they get from the Padres that the seventeen year old infielder Hernandez, and then you've got Lelane, fifth ranked prospect. It's just it's the high it's the high numbers. It feels as if the Giants, at least on paper, at least on paper, and you know, on paper doesn't always matter. We have those discussions with the forty nine ers draft, right, the four inch draft on paper for the experts always looks less than they think it is internally. Right, Well, the Giants are winning a lot of They're winning a lot of people over on paper here with the prospects that they've acquired, to what level do they turn into the next generation of great Giants? We shall see. But at this point all you can do is deal with what's in front of you, and with the Giants having such a miserably disappointing season, it's the right course of action to pivot toward the future to the greatest extent that you're comfortable with. I think we can debate, and today is probably going to be the last day. Should they have gone farther? Jung Hulee Logan Web two of ironically the Stars from last night's August third win against the Rangers in Arlington would tell you, all right, maybe you want to keep those guys around a little bit. But I think they handled a really difficult situation probably as best as they can. And now time will tell as to whether or not they acquired the right players, but moving on from the players they chose to move on from. We could debate Elliott Ramos a little bit, but everybody else it was kind of a no brainer. I'm also gonna make fun of myself as we get going on a Tuesday, because how else would I want to start the show?
Speaker 1: Look, the young guy loves the young guy. I know everyone's gonna say, oh my god. Silver freaked out every time Eldridge wasn't in the lineup because they wanted to.
Speaker 2: I want to see him as much as possible.
Speaker 1: Yesterday I was really glad to see Bryce Eldridge not in the lineup.
Speaker 2: I just wanted him to have a day off.
Speaker 1: But man, looking at that lineup, I was like, whoa, that's the other side of the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Like you knew they were gonna sell, you knew they had to do all that.
Speaker 1: But then just looking at the lineup when it finally came out, I was like, oh, man, maybe JD would have a field day with this one if we were on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny you had that reaction about Eldridge. I actually had the opposite reaction. I was like, why would today be the day I really that was my initial reaction. To me, it makes no sense the day in which the season is in many ways formally over right. I mean, even though I think you could make the case that it has been for two to three months at this point. So I just I was, yeah, to your point, you look at that lineup, But if Chung Houlei's gonna go double dong and Logan Webb's gonna throw shut out ball, doesn't matter. There you go. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My Heidie's mom texted me in the ninth because the game was national. She goes, Hey, the Giants gonna hold onto this lead, And I was like, I mean theoretically, yes, I also don't know anything about this bullpen right now.
Speaker 2: And then they did. They did.
Speaker 1: They only allowed one and that's because they won the challenge right before that homer. So look, I'm getting a lot of reaction, and this is where I want to open it up at eight to eight K and b are. Yeah, we're still live in Berkeley. Yeah, we're still rehashing the Giants trade deadline. Did the Giants do enough? And how satisfied are you? Because I'm gonna stop shy of the notion of Buster Posey and the Giants cooked yesterday, Like I was seeing some of that discourse, and we just don't know. Because the timeline of the prospects that they ended up taking back, we're probably not going to have those answers on paper.
Speaker 2: He did, though, or at least two years.
Speaker 1: Sure, Sure, I would love to look back and say that was a really effective day. What I can say here on August fourth of twenty twenty six is that Buster Posey did the right thing and wasn't living in some kind of fantasy land of what the Giants might be and how close they were and maybe there was some variability of bad luck and oh if we just had a closer, we'd be a team that's a playoff team. Like there was no operation under the premise that the Giants were at all close to being a contender. And for that reason, Buster Posey I think deserves credit for how he's handled both trade deadlines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did the minimum I think in both years of what's appropriate considering the circumstances. And it can't be easy for Buster Posey because again, both of these trade deadlines have been indicators that teams that he's put together have failed, at least up until the point where you each you know, August in the first two thirds of the season. So as difficult a pill as that probably is for him to swallow, you gotta pivot and you gotta do what's right. And I think again we'll see to what level the guys that the Giants were able to acquire wind up being the next generation, as I've said, of great Giants. But for now, all you can do is put yourself in position to where you're acquiring these guys and now you've got to look to develop them and see if they can come up and help you come maybe twenty twenty eight for a lot of them, or some of them, twenty twenty nine to twenty thirty for most of them, and maybe that coincides with a lot of the other guys that are already in your minor league system or that you drafted going back to the middle of July, and then you're cooking. Now you still got to deal with the now, you still got to deal with And I think that's in part why the Giants didn't trade Logan Web and didn't trade Junghu Lee is because and no, I'm not going to go two timelines, but they wanted to have the ability to try to put together a team that can compete in twenty seven and try to put together maybe a team that can compete in twenty twenty eight while they're developing all of these guys in the minor league system that they project to come up at some point towards the back end maybe of twenty eight and beyond.
Speaker 1: And it's just daunting looking at the pitching rotation because Logan Webb is your ace pitched like one yesterday went the six shoutout innings and then today you're like, oh, it's gonna be Tidwell.
Speaker 2: Who's now gonna be a mainstay down the stretch.
Speaker 1: So they did the right thing by it, but yeah, it's gonna be a lot of piecemealing together and for what's been a challenging year for a first year manager, and Tony Vizello now gets to plug and play a little bit more pieces. Yeah, And you know what's interesting too is you know everybody and we've done it, everybody assumes that it's gonna be worse because on paper, again there's less talent, but you know what, maybe it's not like and if it is, how much And if I mean if it is, who cares. Honestly, that's just keeping it a buck if it is worse. But at the same time, maybe it's not as bad, and maybe you do find a couple of guys that can help you.
Speaker 2: Maybe you do. I mean, the Giant's best stretch of baseball over the last two years has been the stretch of baseball that wasn't supposed to be the best stretch, or maybe the stretch which they had the least amount of talent top to bottom on their roster. So you never know when it's all said and done.
Speaker 1: All right, eight O KNBR is your number. We can still take calls. We got the Golden sat Lumber and show room text line. We got a lot of the mids hanging out in the YouTube chat. We still got Tim back in the studio making this all happen. Josh Shepherd hanging out here, making sure that we stay on the air. We're in good hands another Birds by the way, among other things. Always in good hands in Berkeley, California, Giants trade deadline. Eightaway canbr. I'll tease the guest list when we come on back on these Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: This is poplay in silver on knbr's a Z Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: We are live in Berkeley at Cal Football Media Day. We'll be talking all about that later in the show. We also got some good Niners to get to with the player's day off. Of course, the Giants fall out of the trade deadline is where we're starting today. Few different things because I'm showing Tim how responsible I am even if I'm away from the studio. Number one, we are sponsored by Redwood Credit Union for you for community for seventy five years. Join RCU today at redwoodcu dot org. Number two, we are still giving away tickets to see John Mellencamp. Just because we're in another place doesn't mean it's a different case. John Mellencamp is going to be playing at the Shoreline Amphitheater Wednesday, August twelfth, So at some point during the show, just dial up four one five eight nine, six, five six two seven and Kyle Chung will take care of you.
Speaker 2: Later.
Speaker 1: On Number three, we got to tell you about our guest list today, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle, who wrote one of my favorite pieces in a long time and a very emotional read on Greg Papa. He's going to be coming by at ten fifty. We will talk about that we of course we'll talk about a lot of forty nine ers. And it's a Tuesday, so that means we will catch up with Susan Slusser, who will join us at eleven fifty, fresh off of her handling of all the chaos of yesterday. And because we are in Berkeley, we got to get a couple of the best Toash Lapoi thirty fifth Travers family, head football coach and program history and former player himself right here in the stadium coming by at twelve thirty, and then the talented sophomore left handed quarterback Jaron Kiave Sanga Pola tell we'll be coming by right around one. So we got a busy day and I'm feeling fantastic about it. To continue where we left off at the end of last segment, JD. It was really interesting. We got so many great local media who are much smarter than definitely myself. And what I kept seeing as a common theme last night in the aftermath of the trade deadline is people saying the Giants' ownership will never call it a rebuild. They're never gonna brand it as a rebuild. But Buster Posey and his action said otherwise, I don't know if I necessarily agreed with that statement. Now, am I glad that he went beyond just trading Ray and Arise and what we all expected? Yes, I am. I don't think Buster Posey had to trade Elliot Ramos. He didn't have to take the risk on Marcelo Meyer. Those are moves that I admire. But with the timeline of the prospects that came back, just because we're looking at say maybe more twenty twenty eight twenty twenty nine. If it truly was going to be a rebuild, well then Jung hou Lee and Logan Webb probably would have been dealt as well. And I understand there's the element of what you brought up of hey not to two timeline this thing, but you do got to figure out how you could be competitive in the meantime as you look to rebuild with the farm system.
Speaker 2: Well, you at least have to sell that. You got to sell that.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to go as far as to call it a rebuild, but it definitely was a greater overhaul than I would have anticipated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are, they are rebuilding for that other time, that twenty eight twenty nine timeline, But you also have to look at where you are in the calendar. I mean, twenty twenty six essentially is over barring some kind of all time miracle level run that isn't going to happen. So then you've got the twenty twenty seven question marks as it relates to just how much of a baseball season is they're going to be. And now you start to think, all right, some of these players in the Giant system will start to be coming up as early as two thousand and twenty eight, and then beyond as you get, you know, into twenty twenty nine, So it's it's not really that long. And so I think that's where you I agree with you that it doesn't feel like it's a rebuild because the gap that they're trying to bridge is what are we talking about? A season and a half or maybe half a season doesn't even happen next year. So to me, it's they're rebuilding, but they're also trying to keep appearances up is probably the best way to put it for twenty twenty seven. If there is a meaningful twenty twenty seven to be played across Major League baseball. I also think as much as I was along the lines of hey, I would have looked to have moved Logan web I would have gone full bore. I think you could have turbocharged even what you did accomplish yesterday to another level if you would look to ship him to a contender with the remainder of this year plus two more on his contract. I think with jung Ulee having the opt out after twenty twenty seven, you could make the case that maybe he should have been the guy that the Giants were more app to trade right now instead of say maybe in Elliott Ramos. But I think the flip side of that conversation is not completely in fairness to the Giants about keeping appearances up for twenty twenty seven, and it's also somewhat And this is where I do believe them, even if I don't agree with them, Like they do want someone with the skill set of like Jung who lead the player fits the type of offense that the Giants want to have, So you want to keep somebody around that fits that identity. Logan Webb does fit the identity of what the Giants want their pitching staff to look like. And so I understand why you would want maybe from that standpoint where Elliott Ramos in fairness, even with years left on his deal, even though he's a productive hitter in a different way than Jung Hulee when you look at his overall game and the defensive deficiencies and the fact that he has, at least for this year, become somebody that's probably in a lot of team's eyes, more of a platoon player than an everyday player, maybe somebody that's better suited for a different ballpark as well to have some of the power numbers truly come to fruition. So he in essence, I think the Giants made the determination doesn't fit the mold for what they want this next era to look like, or that they already have. You know, guys that are maybe more the bopper less defense type, you know in their everyday concoction right at different positions, Rafael Devers and Bryce Eldridge highlighting it among those players, so I can understand where, yes, I would have gone all in. I think they might have wound up better for it in twenty eight and twenty nine and beyond, at the expense of how good are you really going to be next year? How much of a season is going to make it worth it? How good can you know, I don't like going too far down the road as to well that you're not going to be good this year that year, because you never know. It's baseball like, things can can flip on a dime. Look at what the Red Sox are doing in a year that a month ago looked completely lost for them. So I understand Logan Webb being a fit for what they want the mold to be, and Jung Hu Lee being a fit for what they want the mold to be, and maybe some of the guys that they've shipped out beyond just yesterday, you know, Patrick Bailey and the like, they deem to not maybe fit the mold of what they want the next future, you know, the next generation of Giant to be. Yeah, that's why I.
Speaker 1: Was always kind of standing on the Junghu Lee part of it, which is we can debate if he's one hundred and thirteen million dollar player. We can debate the fact that he's got an opt out coming next year, and if he's got another year like this one, well he probably is going to opt out and try to get more money out of that. We could argue about a lot of those things, but just thinking about the baseball reasons alone, and I tossed any marketing or connection to South Korea. I just tossed that out the window yesterday for this discussion. For the baseball player Jung Hu Lee, when he's been at his best, I can understand why the Giants want to hold on to him. When he plays good rid field defense, theoretically should be able to help you on the base path, although I want to see him try to attempt more stolen bases in the second half of this year to be sure. The left handed contact hitter all the more valuable now that you've lost Luisa Rise. Oh and by the way, when he goes to the East coast or I guess down south yesterday in Arlington with a roof, he has a way of getting his homers and bunches there too. So guy with eight home runs now not going to be a powerful hit are very different than Ramos. But with Elliott Ramos, it's one of those things where I looked at it and said, yes, homegrown All Star team control. Ideally, though, he's someone that could be an everyday outfielder and give you better defense than he has. And because you have devers An Eldridge, you're not really going to have a need for a DH for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think there's also the component to there are others that maybe you want to take a look at in some of those outfield spots, whether it's it's jonah Cox when he comes back more of a center fielder, maybe you look to get Gilbert into left field some days. Maybe you have Gilbert and center field some days, and you look to put Bear Codo out there. Like it just it gives you, from an audition standpoint, a little bit more flexibility, as much as there may not be like like you want, I think if you're the Giants, like you want to have a really good feel for you know, Drew Gilbert, our guy, Grant McCrae, Like, is our guy Grant McCrae, Like, you know, is he somebody that's going to be on a forty man roster for the Giants next year? Like I think they want to know, Like he's been on the forty man the last three years, and he's come up and he's been a spark at times, but the overall numbers haven't, you know, let's be honest, offensively been great. And so I think you're trying to evaluate what you have along those lines to know, you know, whether some of these guys are are going to be worthy of of of those roster spots. Moving forward, well.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from Buster Posey, who spoke on Zoom yesterday after the trade deadline. That was around three thirty, so after the show and in the middle of Dirty Work, we'll get some of that audio and then we'll pivot over to forty nine ers before the end of the hour when Eric Branch joins us eight o eight knb are. We got the YouTube chat, we got the mids, and we got DJ Web back in the studio. It's a good Tuesday, live from Berkeley. I'm the Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Let's get back to Papa and Silver from Memorial Stadium in Berkeley on the Sports Leader. Filling in for Greg Papa is John Dickinson on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: I don't know we'd get the formal rejoin, but yes, we are live from California Memorial Stadium. It is cal Football Media Day, Silver JD. We got Josh hanging out with us. We're feeling great on this Tuesday and good to get to some giants trade deadline talk as we had more news at the end. You know, I was kind of wondering because we had that lull, right, Robbie Ray was traded in the middle of our show, and then we're wondering, Oh, is anything else gonna happen for the last I don't know eighty minutes of yesterday, We're like, Okay, this might not be anything. And then you shared in that final segment the note from Ken Rosenthal saying that the Yankees and Giants were working on a trade for Elliott Ramos that ended up being formalized when we were off the air, and of course Eric Miller was to follow.
Speaker 2: So this whole talk about is it.
Speaker 1: Really a rebuild and did Buster Posey do the right thing not just leaning into trading everybody. Well, let's hear Buster yesterday on his Zoom about keeping Devers, Chapman and a Damas.
Speaker 2: Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 4: I think what I'll say is like, we made we made it known to teams that we were really willing to talk about any player. And you know, I don't think it does any good to say one way or another for us, We're still excited that we've got those big three guys, the Devers. You know that we have Devers Chapman a Damas on the team, and still feel like there's a lot of great baseball left for those guys to play, and you know glad that they're they're going to be San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 1: So my takeaway was base on the willingness for Buster Posey to make those extra moves in the two o'clock hour right before the deadline hit. I'm gonna say that there wasn't a whole lot of interest in Devers, Chapman and the Damas, and maybe a little bit on devers As was purported, but that's the guy I probably wouldn't have traded Chapman. I get it, he's hurt, was supposed to come back in the Padres series had a setback, So who really wants to trade for an expensive and injured Matt Chapman and then Willie Adamas. I mean, that's just a tough contract. Like we joked on and off the air many times about how callers would call in and say, well, I wouldn't trade a Rise, I'd trade a Damas, and it's like, well, yeah, that's kind of the one that everyone would probably prefer to trade. As the biggest of the Albatross contracts. I'm gonna guess nobody bit on that.
Speaker 2: You can't only trade. This is one of the j D rules of franchise operation. You can't only trade the guys you don't like. You can't like that, That's not how this works. And look, I'm not gonna malign Buster Posey for the inability to move Rafaelda or Matt Chapman or Willi adamis I will. I don't think there are a lot of takers to your point, and you know what, you have to sift through your best opportunities. And look, I actually give him credit for being so open in saying, hey, we're going to listen on every player and doing it seven weeks ago, going back to the middle of June again. Unable to do it right now, but that doesn't mean that you won't necessarily be able to do it in the off season or maybe at some point if there's a bounce back year from one of these guys at the deadline, or if the collective bargaining agreement changes. So unfortunately, you can only deal with the hand that you've dealt yourself and Buster Posey right now. Because of the way that a couple of these are all three of those contracts, depending upon your opinion of it, have not panned out to this point to the way the Giants would want. Sometimes you just gotta you gotta swallow it, and you just have to try to wait for the right opportunity to move off of those guys. And it's probably going to take some unique circumstances, whether it's, you know, a change in the collective bargaining agreement, or there is a player that comes available that, as we've talked about a lot, is on a contract that's similar, and maybe that player needs a change of scenery that you can provide, and you've always liked that player, and maybe they like your player. And then so it's the sort of your problem for my problem deal for weekend debate. Should they have gone farther? What did they get back? You know, paper champions today in terms of a lot of the prospects that they were able to acquire at the deadline. But I'm not coming down Buster Posey's road for not moving any of those three contracts. I think it was always going to be kind of a pipe dream that they would be able to do it in such short order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my larger point with that is that based on his willingness to make moves of other sort, I'm going to guess that there wasn't really a whole lot of interest in those big contracts. And look, that's not a surprise, right, you have three big question marks, which is what is baseball in twenty twenty seven? Is there going to be a salary cap? Is there going to be a salary floor? No doubt, right, So it's just this is not the year where if you're even gonna try to have a taker on one of those albatross contracts. Those are extra layers that make it really really tricky to find a taker in the first place.
Speaker 2: And look, maybe there winds up, as I've said, being a team that is a small market team that doesn't have a lot of salary committed, and all of a sudden, there's a salary floor and you're either going to have to pay your guys a heck of a lot more and more quickly, or you're gonna have to be willing to take on what would amount to, let's say, an expensive ancillary piece, right like, all of a sudden. The way I've sort of put it is, you know, maybe the maybe the pirates or the or the or the Rays or the Brewers or one of these teams have to take on oh Willie Adamas, just to get their books up to where you want and then maybe you can get off of a deal in that way.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to the phones ataway kanb Are. Yeah, we're still taking them out here in Berkeley, JT and Oakland. He has called in throughout the season, longtime Giants fan and JT. I think you called in back when we were doing our opening day slash Opening night show. So we've come a long way together in the season. It's been a big build up to the trade deadline. How are you feeling about yesterday's moves.
Speaker 5: I don't know yet because I don't know any of these players. I'm fine with Ramos, like I think we said before, I think we've seen enough of him. He's a two sixty year below average out field. He's been every year. So for that little first half of the year where he had that grade, he was an all star. I think that's fine. You know who I wanted to see go, but financially it's not gonna happen, and the drag about that is I mean, this is gonna be a problem again next year, these contracts, and we had to give up the world the best here baseball for the last and his culture that right brought here. I understand what they had to trade him, but man, he turned Jung lu Lee into a better hitter in case he's this culture he brought here. Now that's gonna go away. So you know, I'm not I'm not too excited. You know, great, they made some moves, but you know, those those are gonna be problems for a couple more years. It's not going away. And those two contracts are hurting many things. So you know, I don't know, I don't know. We'll have to see. You know, these young guys, I've seen enough with Grandma Cray three years. Right, he's been up and down three years.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: It looks like the.
Speaker 5: Same player to me. So that's why, madam. You know, did you see that throw a Domas made yesterday?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, yes I did. Yeah, that was not ideal, JT. Not ideal.
Speaker 1: Let me appreciate you calling as always man four five, six, two seven. Look, I get it, and I actually kind of stand with JT in terms of the sentiment of I would like to think looking back in a couple of years that this was a really productive trade deadline for Buster Posey. But the reality is we just don't know, and some of the problems that the Giants are stuck with that's not going to be any different this time next year, whatever the season may be, and maybe even parts of twenty twenty eight too. Yeah, I think what it gives them right now is it gives them two areas to sell, Right. You can sell all of these prospects that nobody knows until they actually come up the level at which that they can be impactful players. Right, but if it's end of twenty eight twenty nine, it's two years of all of these guys are going to be awesome or might be awesome is probably a better way to put it. That you can sell forward to the fan base.
Speaker 2: And then you also have the well logan web still here in Jung Hooley's marketable and we're going to do it. We can. The bullpen's going to get tweaked in the offseason and all the so you can kind of sell the there's enough veterans left around, even if some of them or underperforming, and Bryce Eldridge's here to where you can also sell the we're going to try to be competitive in twenty twenty seven, all the while knowing that there may not even be much of a twenty twenty seven that comes. And now you're kicking the can down the road a little bit to twenty twenty eight, and you're you're almost to that point where these guys are going to start to come up at that point. So it just gives you different means. And look, if there's an opportunity to pivot off of somebody else, the Giants may be more likely if their record isn't what they want it to be, to move maybe a couple of those guys at that point.
Speaker 1: Let's sneak in one more here before Eric Branch joins us. Fill them on in Salinas, wants to talk about the moves Buster made.
Speaker 2: Fill them on. You're on these sports Leader.
Speaker 7: How are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you.
Speaker 7: A Buster is doing a great job? Giants fans or haters, and he just stop hating on the process. Let him do his job. Rafi Raffi is the only guy he's gonna have to deal with as far as the trains he's made, because isn't a trade from before he he became manager I.
Speaker 1: Know for it was his big free agent signing in the first Winter meetings.
Speaker 7: Was he I mean because a Damas. I mean, you'll.
Speaker 5: Figure it out.
Speaker 2: Chapman Chapman. Yeah, Chapman was the one that originally was signed to the one year contract with the opt out by far Han, and then far Han was doing the deal to extend Chapman, and then Buster Posey stepped in and was able to sort of finish the deal because it was deemed that far Hunt couldn't close the deal. So you may be thinking of Chapman as somebody that that Buster both regimes basically wanted, but Buster wound up getting getting the contract done over the top, uh, the the lengthier contract done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, Chapman, for all intentsive purposes, is a Buster guy. Willia Damas was buster big signing, and of course Raphael Dever's the big acquisition. So that's not too hate on Buster Posey. It's just the reality of his fingerprints are so much more on this team than it was last year. I want to be fair about it, but I think what you could say is Farhan was comfortable with a shorter Matt Chapman deal and Buster came in and said, ah, we'll give him the longer deal to get him here because we want him to be part of one of our guys.
Speaker 2: Which included a full note trade clause. Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so anyway we can get a lot back into the Giants. Susan Slusser will join us coming up in about an hour five three zero. By the way, really likes the comment you made, JD about the hand that the Giants dealt themselves. So what's what we're dealing with, That's what it is. We keep it a buck man. Eric Branch talking to little Niners and of course our guy Greg Papa, who we'll get into that article as well as a lot of the injury news. Yeah, Mike Evans did not practice yesterday, Kaylon Black did not practice. Dejon stribbling dealing with a little bit of hamstring. So every time JD we talk about a unit of this team being a strength, I feel like I gotta hold my breath, and I know a lot of Niner fans feel that way here in the Bay area as well. Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle has been a while since we had him on and looking forward to it next on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Live from Cal Football Media Day at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley. This is Papa in Silver on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Gonna be with you on a Tuesday, Greg Silver, John Dickinson live from Berkeley, and we are gonna talk a little forty nine ers right now after focusing on the Giants and the trade deadline. Stay tuned for Susan Slusser coming up at about an hour. But before we get to that, it is time to welcome in our good friend, also of the San Francisco Chronicle, one Eric Branch, who joins us on the UMA guest line. Branch long time, at least as far as it goes on the show, although we like to communicate frequently.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Happy new season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've had a few stops and starts, so I apologize for previous cancellations. But the third time, actually it appears to be the charm.
Speaker 2: Well every time Branch that you're supposed to come on, some news breaks, so I we're I know your head is probably on a swivel right now as you talk to us, but are feverishly checking your your messages and missed call logs.
Speaker 6: I would assume injury news is for coming right knowing this team having covered them for a while. Yeah, if we doing breaking news today, it'll be that.
Speaker 1: But no, that's not well that's why I said. Yeah, I was like, let's book a on the player's day off. Maybe maybe it'll be okay that way. But look, I mean, in all seriousness, when we had to postpone our last hit, it was for something that was unexpected, something that was really insightful and serious, and that was Kyle Shanahan calling the meeting with media to talk about the car accident, explained that there was a clerical error and that he was the one at fault. So just take us through that meeting where he was so emotional, feeling guilty for being at fault, and how all of this has affected him as he's now making his way back to coaching.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, in thinking about that, it really was, you know, surreal, just in that obviously increasingly in modern day professional sports, everything it's not stage, you know, you know, all the major principles are at a podium, they have their talking points, and this was not that. It was it was Kyle Shanahan behind his desk. You know, seven beat writers kind of circle circled around and you know, there's a pair of person in the back of John Lynch in the back, But it was really Kyle Shanahan, raw and very emotional.
Speaker 2: Just talking.
Speaker 6: You know, initially he spoke off the record. It wasn't because what he was saying off the record, you know, he didn't you know, end up saying on the record. But it was just wanted to I think he just wanted to be able to speak, you know for really kind of more a manned men. There are plenty if f woods. You know that you didn't get at the podium, but it was just speaking and you know, from his heart, and so yeah, it was you know, obviously it's a unique situation with the car accident and then you know, you know everything that has followed, and so you know, I don't think any of us had obviously seen you know Kyle and that you know, it wasn't like a forty nine ers coach. It was more like a you know, was a forty eight year old man kind of bearing his soul. Eric.
Speaker 2: As far as Kyle's ability to to get back out on the field and and and have more of the day to day control of of everything that's going on there, what what have you seen as training camp has progressed here, uh, you know through the last week and a half or so as far as just you know, him taking on more of a role. I've been out there a couple of days, but not every day because we're doing the show. So how have you seen him sort of increase his his uh, you know, control over everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's kind of just you know a little bit here and there, like little things like was it Saturday was the first day he you know, got up in front of the team and addressed them in a meeting. Yesterday was the first time he addressed them after practice. Uh, you know in the huddle. It was a few days ago that you know, instead of you know, standing with John lenn thirty yards behind the defense, he went on the offense like, which is normal spot and actually you know was doing you know, if not coaching, doing some talking. Even things like it was a couple of days ago that he was right next to a speaker. I mean there's loud music, uh, you know, blaring during practice and John Lynch it said, you know earlier in training camp, like let's relax with like the ACDC and uh, you know they're a little more soft rock. But you know, Kyle was like ten yards away from one of the speakers and it wasn't got rock. You know. So there are just these little things that indicate, you know, obviously that he's proceeding in you know, there's no concussion protocol for coaches and executives, but John Munches said they're kind of doing that, you know, taking a phased approach. You know, players have to complete five steps, and I think Shanahan this is probably completing, has to go through him more steps as the mixed progress.
Speaker 1: Talking to Eric Branch on the UMA guest line kind enough to join us on this Tuesday morning, love what you wrote about Dre Greenlaw. We were fortunate to have him on the show at training camp this last friday. He just seemed so happy, and I asked him to use one word to describe being back here, if it was revived, if it was motivated, and the first one he settled on was thankful. Now you had the numbers, it was six hundred and fourteen days and two games for a guy that when he's on the field we all have seen up close, just al varoj as he is. Which reunion story do you think benefits the team more in the end, green Law or debo.
Speaker 6: Would I would settle on green Law. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but you know, I want to say he played in six sixty four games in his first you know, start with the forty nine ers, and if you look at their record when he played and when he did not play, it is stark. And I know, you know sometimes that can be well, yeah, whatever, It's not just Dray green Law, but I do think it gives a you know, hints that his his value. And when you hear him with Fred Warner, you know, those are two of the biggest badass linebackers in the NFL. And so I would say, meanwhile, you know, it comes with a caveat at As you mentioned, he went through a recent strtchery. He played two games in six hundred four six hundred and fourteen days and didn't finish either of them. So you know, he's twenty nine, and he has obviously a pretty significant medical file at this point. And what makes them so special is you know, the way he plays, you know, hair on fire, going all out, and so they're legitimate concerns and questions about sensibility to hold up. But you know the encouraging thing, you know, from a forty nine Ers perspective, As you said, you know, his body hasn't felt this good since about a month before the Super Bowl, so that would be what January twenty twenty four, and you know, so you know, if you can avoid an injury in training camp, unlike a lot of his teammates can get to the season healthy, that would be you know, a significant step for him.
Speaker 2: And he's one of the few it feels at this point that that aren't dealing with some level of injury. I mean, how concerning It's always a story Eric that the camp injuries and just injuries in general with this team, But how concerning is the amount at this stage of camp versus other years, and and just the fact that this continues to be an ongoing issue almost despite anything the forty nine ers try to do to combat it, because they've tried to lot of things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, this comes on the heels of you know, they nine million dollars into you know, upgrading their facilities. You know, more specifically, they're kind of hydro areas added three more physical therapists, change the trainee camp schedule instead of a regular practice they've inserted a dog through, so they don't have you know, they'll have back to back practices, a day off, a practice, a day off. I'm sure I shouldn't say day off. The jog through is in there, so just designed to let me wearn't haear, And yet you know, it's still kind of a similar situation. The other day they have seventeen different alignment on the ninety man roster. They had eight healthy defensive linement to finish a practice. You look at the wide receivers right now, they don't have you know, what would be the top three. Ricky piercew obviously out with season ending knee surgery, Mike Evans with the quadrice up, Sean stribbling with a hamstring. You know, we go on. But you know, Brent Boyer, the special teams coordinator, was talking about, you know, the punching competition, and he was saying, you know, hopefully we can have one, but you know, it could be the injuries, you know, make it that they can't have the luxury of having two punters. And of course we'll recall last year injuries or why they couldn't have you know, two kickers and they had to release Greg Joseph and they gave the job to Jake Moody early in training camp and obviously don't worked out. But the point being, yeah, it's days a blue ish.
Speaker 1: Eric Branch joining us on the UMA guest line. I want to go back to the twenty five predictions that you put out there, and you know, you went nine and eight no playoffs, and you left a lot of predictions out there and go reasons behind it, but just explain why you ultimately settled on a team that has high expectations, understands that a lot of their core players are only got so many limited shots left.
Speaker 2: What has got you concerned the most?
Speaker 1: Why you think this might be a slightly above five hundred season with no postseason?
Speaker 2: I mean, is it really the travel? Is it just age?
Speaker 1: Is it what we're already seeing with some of these injury scares cropping up again? Just wanted to elaborate on that one a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there are you know, they will set an NFL record for most of miles traveled. They do have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. They do play in the NSC West. That's four games against the Rams and Seahawks, and yeah, most of their you know, the players that are leaning on the most heavily are you know, thirty and over. So I think because of that and just the you know, my assumption as injuries are going to play and you know, a role again, you know, just due to the age, if nothing else. That's why I was, you know, at nine and eight and now you know, was I too optimistic? Now I'm just kidding. I mean, we haven't gotten to weak one. But uh, you know, anyway, those are the reasons I went into the nine to eight prediction.
Speaker 2: A couple of wide receiver questions for you, branch Deebo Samuel, What what do you feel is the best way for the forty nine ers to use Deebo Samuel one? And because of the injuries, are they going to be afforded the luxury of using him in the way that's best suited for him and them as opposed to just needing him out there because he's one of the few guys that are that are healthy right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it could be you know, we get to the season and it's like, oh, they're debout playing wide receiver and then the Steve Boat playing one back and he's also returning kicks, and this is a guy who they waited and waited and waited to sign. Uh, you know there was not a lash by to put nighters to sign Deebo Samuel. You know, he's thirty years old. Obviously, I think it's safe to say, you know, he's not gonna replicate his all Pro breakout season at this point. So in an ideal world, Deeba Samuel, you know, is an excellent kickoff returner and then he helps you out, you know, a wide receiver. You know, he plays a role, but he doesn't have to, you know, try to play a starring role. And he doesn't have to movement running back. So you know, we shall see. You know. The first step is they had to sign him because they don't have risky pearsall and you know they continue to deal with injuries. You know, he brought up the depth chart and you know, I don't think it's something then say you will want to have happened.
Speaker 2: I also wanted to follow just on on djon stribbling, what what what did did you see from him before he ended up needing to miss And I don't believe had he been out there in pads for for a day or had he gone out before, I'm getting maybe the days mixed up a little bit and was just has he impressed at least in the time he was out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it comes with the caution of like, oh, you know, it's practice. I believe he wasn't least the first part of practice, and so you know, you hesitate to make snap judgments on rookies that said, he was just he's just very smooth. It looks fairly easy for him, and his catch radius is is impressive, and his frame is impressive. And then you know, we haven't seen some of the other things, like he's known as a really elite rent blocker, which is a huge thing in's offense. So the with up as they said before he got hurt. Yeah, now having said that, it's tough to say now, Like I said, the exception of Ada Jenkins was back in the day who couldn't stay on the street in his first training camp practices and could catch the ball and you're like, huh, why did you pick this guy in the first round? So U but usually you can't you don't necessarily say hey, they hit or they hit or they missed. But you know, yeah, h scribbling looked very very big before he had, you know, sit out.
Speaker 1: Final couple of minutes here with Eric Branch on the UMA guest line. Ricky pier Sall individually for him, just a real bummer. It's second practice back, reaggravates the PCL. Now he's done for the season. How can they combat the loss of Peer Saul Because it's very clear that when he was healthy and right, and when he was either unavailable or playing limited, the offense looked very different in terms of field stretching, man to man, coverage, explosiveness, and while Deebo Samuel coming back is a welcome edition, very different player from what a healthy Ricky Pearsall brought you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that that is significant because you're right there, you know, on the kind of rare times where he's been healthy, he's really good. I mean, he clearly has the talent, he has first round ability, He's a very special route runner, you know, just the way he can disguise his routs, and so it is a significant loss. And like as discussed you know previously, you know, a healthy Ricky Piersall at this point and my estimation is far better than a third year old Devo Samuel. So you know, in effect, you know, swapping pear Saw for Samuel, you know, is a pretty significant loss in that wide Receiver corps.
Speaker 1: We didn't want to let you go either without talking about our favorite article that you've written out of the many eight things lately in the SF Chronicle. That's, of course, the piece you put out on Greg Papa over the weekend. And look, I don't really know what to say. I don't think I have a question on of it. I just want to say, very well done. I know that's the kind of thing you didn't necessarily want to write. We're all thinking of him every single day, and even as someone that's been pretty in the know with a lot of what you detailed in that piece, it was a really emotional read. So just thank you for putting that out there. I know that he really appreciates it and we miss him every single day on the show. But yeah, just very proud of that piece and well done, Eric.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks very much. He really is remarkable, beyond obviously his career as the broadcast it right now, that was two hours of talking with him that he did mostly were talking. I could have been talking to a cancer doctor or a lung specialist. I mean, he knows everything about everything that he's dealing with hostibly better than his doctors, and anyway, he's inspiring on a lot of different levels. But yeah, I was privileged to able to speak with him and share his story, which is, uh, you know, pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, and that is one of the great things about Greg, right is the preparation, no matter what it is, and the knowledge of of what of what's going on, whether it's preparing for a game or to do a show or in this case, uh, you know, with his diagnosis and his current fight. So that doesn't surprise me that that that that's how that conversation went. Branch.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I was like, thank god I was talking to him. I mean, not only does he was able to you know, I'm an English major, so you know, it was a lot to kind of work through all his various medical issues, but you know, he was kind of be able to explain it in more layman's terms. And then of course he's a quote machine, you know, and so I had to you know, the challenge was can choose which took his great soundbites, you know, to put in the article, you know, because as you know, if you read it, you know, despite all that he's dealing with and it's very serious. He's able to maintain this.
Speaker 2: Well. It was a great read, and we encourage everybody to to check it out. Obviously, we get we get the questions a lot, you know, hey, how's Papa doing and and how are things going? And what has it been like? And and you know to that point, we we do know a lot of what has been going on that that he was willing to openly discuss and be a part of of what you were able to write. So for anybody that really wants the update, that's it, in his words, a lot of it. So we we definitely encourage everybody to check it out. And of course we we love him and we're you know, keep keep fighting, Pop, keep fighting, brother. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much Eric for coming by, and we'll talk to you about a lot of niners in the coming weeks as well. And uh, hopefully we can't get our guy Papa in there to give some site, but look, health is wealth, got to take care of himself first and looking forward to when we do get him back, and until then, we'll keep reading every piece you put out there, because whether it's on Papa dre Greenlaw Deebo, Samuel, etc.
Speaker 2: It's good always reading the Chronicle. So thanks Branch.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Thanks absolutely, Eric Branch of the SF Chronicle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the one thing I did want to share off of that piece is I'm not really into spreading health details unless they become public exactly right, Like, can't be doing that. And you know, we've gotten a lot of questions, and I mean, he is just fighting his ass off, that's first and foremost. But in a rather slightly humorous note, we've had a rare medical bonding moment because he had told me when he got the temporary diabetes from all the steroids. So he's sending me pictures of some of the blood checking he's had to do and talks about doing some of the insulin shots and everything. He's like, he sends me the picture of his first ever insulin shot and he goes, yeah, I can't be easy for you. I think about you every time I do this, and I'm like, yes, I am the victim here. It is so hard for me and what I deal with. But no, it's been good to in a really really hard situation, we have been able to bond over that I actually got sent the wrong supplies one day. I sent that to him, and I'm like, hope U c SF doesn't do this to you. So now I'm glad it's just a temporary thing for him, because yeah, you know, the insulin shots and the blood checking. I wouldn't say it's something I look forward to, but in this context, I'm by far have it the easy way.
Speaker 2: Well, and he's just fighting, I mean you said it. I mean he's battling and fighting. And there have been a lot of ups and downs that that we've you know, to your point, known a lot of But at the same time, it's it's also not not our story to necessarily tell other than the fact that that we know he's fighting. So to have him him just be so open as he was in the article with Branch was was tremendous and inspiring and and and you just you just can't not love the guy. Oh, and also just tells you how fragile the whole process is, like totally bone marrow transplant is a major procedure. And that went well, thank good, that was incredible, That was successful.
Speaker 1: That was yeah, and even so there's still a long road ahead of just all the other type of things that can go sideways.
Speaker 2: But he's a warrior. There's no other way to put it.
Speaker 1: And as I told him on his last show, I used the quote he said about John Weeks. I said, you're a machine bro. So he's gonna keep fighting, no doubt. Let's get back into some of the niners as well, and you know, injury updates. Snick Wagner had a lot of good notes from practice yesterday. We of course were occupied with the trade deadline and doing the show being live on the air. We'll get into that part of it with Susan Slusser, but we got to also get into this wide receiver situation. Mike Evans did not practice. Dajon Stribbling is dealing with hamstring tightness. Ricky pearsall now officially done for the season. It's Papa and Silver with JD. Extra love to Papa. I'm the sports Leader.