Speaker 1: Okay, the funds over.
Speaker 2: They've done the dirty work of the radio business. Anybody messes this thing up to me tonight, it's true engineering, board, operating and producing. Not only are you fired, your life is old and now they have the microphone.
Speaker 1: What could go wrong? Nobody messes up?
Speaker 2: Understand me, don't mess up. Adam Copeland.
Speaker 3: You wanted some sort of like hard hitting Bob Lee journalism. He came to the wrong place. Derek Papa, Oh boy, Okay, feel it's getting It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous, completely ridiculous. Welcome to dirty work. A and B are one, O, four, five and six eighty the Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: It's dirty work on a Wednesday afternoon, Adam Copeland Deep Pop with the up life from the broadcast booth in Oracle Our Deep Pop and Danny Dunn back at our ka and be our headquarters.
Speaker 1: Sence dropped two of three to.
Speaker 3: The Houston Astros in a game where man hold on to a one nothing lead late. Didn't feel great and then things go go off the hinges there in the in the seventh inning, Giants end up losing it late in this ballgame, drop it two to one. As Steven Oker, the former Giant, ends up getting the w in this game. Deepop, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: On the eve of the first forty nine.
Speaker 3: Or previow there we go because because you know what that's I said, By the way, I watched damn near the entire game with our guy jumping Johnny Lund.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sitting together.
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 3: I came out to the to the patio early, got to see some John. I want to see how he'd handle the diamond notes comparison to you one of them on Friday. I was like, we'll see, We'll see how Derek does relative to John.
Speaker 6: They will not be award winning diamondotes. They will be the Razzies of Domino of diamond ootes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Razzy diamond notes. And then giants read it will be all over it. He had losers.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if giants read it was all over diamond notes.
Speaker 2: Oh they are, I've I've seen it before. Stop better than their life. They are not all over diamond notes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah they are because as I said to you, as you guys know, when we do diamond notes, there's all sorts of sponsors. We got to get to your starting pitchers, or who's hot you're hitting the lumber your player at a bank on. My favorite is the weather report because that's the one that gets me out of a time jam.
Speaker 2: Put your head out the window.
Speaker 3: What people don't know, Derek, is that and you know this, But what people don't know is that diamond notes are all about sponsors. It's all about can you hit every sponsor you need to?
Speaker 1: And what people don't know, that's it.
Speaker 3: What people who know about diamond notes is you have to finish all ten of the sponsors within a certain amount of time, by an exact second.
Speaker 1: I don't think people know listening know this.
Speaker 3: So sometimes I do it like yesterday, you heard me do it pretty casual, laid back. I'm giving you notes, I'm giving you stats. We're talking about the scores. Then two days ago there was a game where we did the talk back.
Speaker 1: We had John it all.
Speaker 2: It depends on the talk back.
Speaker 3: By the way, By the way, if John Texas long, more power to him.
Speaker 1: I love John, Love John Miller. I love what he's got to say.
Speaker 3: I want you talk more than I want you or I'm doing this job because I like hearing John.
Speaker 1: Miller of course of course, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Uh, he was talking to us about like a Red Sox game that was going on against against Toronto up in Toronto, and he was waxing poetic and doing doing his John Miller bit, and I was loving pain.
Speaker 1: But then we get out of the John Miller talk.
Speaker 3: Back, you and I and I'm like, oh boy, I got to hit ten sponsors in like three and a half minutes with two minutes in between as a commercial break, so people don't know we've got to hit that as an exact second. So to me, the weather report, that's the one that bails us out.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: That's the one where I say, weather Report, we're a jacket. It's the ball. What are you doing?
Speaker 3: There's yea were doing? But beautiful day at the yard today. Unfortunately the Giants don't pull this one out. I do want to note real quick because we are going to talk more football. We're going to talk more about where we're going forward because and I do think there's a bit of a release for Giants baseball, Like there's a bit of a weight off your shoulders. Uh, Like do you remember do you remember when Tom got let go?
Speaker 2: Every day?
Speaker 1: How what makes you think of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, gigantic shoes to film.
Speaker 3: Do you remember though, that you and I kind of had that moment where we talked to each other and we're like, hey, man, like it's sort of it's there's something about like the ass screw it mentality of it, like, ah, if he's going, then anybody's going, Like there's something week too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was saying Tom because I didn't want to like hit it on the nose, you know, but there's something freeing about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think you and I had talked about it for a couple of months where I said, look, we knew this thing was going bad. We kept talking about is this the low water mark? Is this rock bottom? Yeah, it's not really important anymore. And I know we mentioned it yesterday they'd fallen twenty one below. I guess they're twenty one below again after winning.
Speaker 2: Last Is this rock bottom?
Speaker 1: Copes? It doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: It does because it's almost unfair at this juncture to gauge or to judge any GM President of Baseball managerial move like I'd like to see Tony Vitello use this time in the same way that we see the younger players getting opportunity to play, not that you need to just try new things out, but give guys an opportunity to go longer than maybe they have in the month of May or in the month.
Speaker 1: Of June, right when maybe you're in the heart of the or in the thick of things.
Speaker 3: You want to see guys work through some things you haven't things that you haven't seen them do before. I want to see guys in situations you haven't seen him in before. I don't know if you've noticed we've seen a lot more of Bryce Eldridge at first base. Yeah, it's almost like, yeah, why not now at the time, run that guy out there, let them play, let them make the mistakes they need to make. I felt that way today about Adrian Hauser, a guy who lost his job to go to the bullpen, a guy the one of the two guys the Giants signed this offseason, between he and Tyler Maalley, who was given a two year contract. So you and I keep talking about, well, next year, next year, next year, and I said, you know, they've got Logan webb they traded Robbie Ray. We thought maybe they'd have Trevor McDonald. They've got Landing groupe. But I think now looking at Adrian Hauser like they're going to go into next year with the plan for him to be one of the starters, whether it's the two, whether it's the three. I don't love the depth of that rotation. Even if he's the two or the three. I think he tracks more as a four or a five. But what I do love is his performance is out of the bullpen, and he's the guy who I think is more comfortable now than he was early in the season, and he's pitched up with a little bit of f you you know what I mean, which is the way you should go after it. Nothing to lose, put it all on the table, pitch inside. You hit a guy, let's go after him and try to get him in places that he's uncomfortable. I think that works in the same way for young players as it does for veterans who are gonna be here beyond this season. And I appreciate the way he's gone about it, and it makes me look forward a bit to more of the depth of what this rotation could be over the offseason into next season.
Speaker 1: Of course, if we have a season. We talked to it. I was at Morosi. Last week we talked to yes It said he believed. He's an optimist.
Speaker 3: He said, I believe we're playing baseball by May or by the end of May. And I'm like, I Honestly, to me, that was a little bit of a shock. I'm like, man, that's the optimistic part of it. That's tough that we're talking about missing a month.
Speaker 6: Well that's what every national guy has said so far, which is okay, okay, that's okay.
Speaker 3: But in trying to find bridespots, it's almost it's almost more relaxing and more enjoyable to go to a ball game like this today, where there's just kind of a you know, stress is off. Let's see what else we have. The Giants today by Baseball America, and I don't want to say Baseball America means more than any other entity, but in terms of covering prospects and raiding minor league systems, they have been the standard of that prior to ESPN, prior to MLB dot Com and all these other analysts who put out what their rankings are. And as of today, following the trade deadline, the Giants rank, according to Baseball America as the number four organization in terms of minor league system in all of baseball, and that to me in the month of August, where you've gone through the trade deadline, you know where the team stands. That makes it a bit easier to sort of digest a game like this because I want to see guys in certain situations.
Speaker 1: I want to see how they execute. I want to see how.
Speaker 3: They perform, and it makes the endgame or the results of the game itself almost secondary to what this season or the remainder of this season means for the team going forward. And it's my first game being here like that. I wasn't here last night or the night before, so first time since the deadline. Then I was like, Okay, this is what it's going to be. And I'm I'm okay with that because we know what the goal of the team is. It's evaluate and it moved forward.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: I mean that should be the mentality of every fit at this point, where I've said it for the longest time, there's certain points of the season where Buster Posey goes into evaluation mode and that's what every fan should do the rest of the way. Where yes, last night, great to see Bryce Elidridge Haite a home run four hundred and twenty three feet. It's great to see Carson Wisdon and have that performance. It's not good to see Willia domis just I don't know what the hell that was that with the double play today and in the seventh inning there.
Speaker 3: I think, I mean, I was going to say, he's got something going on with his back and uh. And I was sitting in the in the stands at that point, and my initial thought was I was with Lunda.
Speaker 1: I said he didn't forget how many outs there were, did he?
Speaker 2: And clearly before yeah.
Speaker 1: But that was kind of the initial thought. Clearly that was not the situation.
Speaker 3: He's dealing with the health issue with his back, and that's why he didn't sling it the second which means he didn't sling at the first base excuse me, Sabbly tried to fire it but didn't have any urgency there. And the injuries are concerning. But it seemingly it was a backfing more than it was a mental era and that's that's just part of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is part of the game.
Speaker 6: But then Victor Barracota and left field drops the ball, so not great.
Speaker 2: But then again, like, as John Lunz said the.
Speaker 6: Other day, I thought he hit it on the head where it's not about wins and losses anymore.
Speaker 2: It's about individuals.
Speaker 6: And it sucks that a lot of these guys are injured right now, Casey Schmidt, Daniel Sussex, Trevor McDonald's wait for those guys to come back. But yeah, it really is just evaluation mode as a fan and also cherishing the memories of my Kruco. That's the most important thing to me the rest of the way. So I know some fans will be like, screw that. You still got to win every game, and I'm sure Tony Vaitelo has some of that mentality, But.
Speaker 1: Well, did you hit him the other night, Derek Well, Monday night, one day night, there.
Speaker 3: Was there was a question, excuse me, a question about why he pulled Tidwell when he did, Yeah, play Tidwell and he'd been pitching really well. That slur of is nasty And again, love what I'm seeing from him. But for me, it's always about what is the second time through the league. Look Like in football, you can be like, wow, that quarterback's getting it, he's building, he's game. Same as in basketball, not that you don't have, you know, books that teams pick up on you. But it's different in baseball where you hit it, situationally, what pitchers you're swinging at, what you really struggle at. It's a little bit different in terms of how they view you because it's pitcher by pitcher trying to attack a different guy you're not In basketball, you're seeing different defenders every night, but that team has only got, you know, three guards that are going to go up against you. Right baseball, you might see eight different pitchers in one series, versus in basketball, in a series, you're gonna see the same starting five almost every single night.
Speaker 1: So I totally understand all that.
Speaker 3: But it's also about the adjustments you make to the adjustment, and we haven't seen a lot of that from a lot of these guys. So when Tidwall got pulled out of the game Monday night, Vaytella was asked after the game, why didn't you leave him in to let him get through that jam? And he said, we're trying to win ball games, And I was like, what is that? Like, Yeah, it's important, and for him it probably means something different than it does to us, of course, right, like we're willing to accept where we are in the season. He's the guy who's in his first year as a manager. He's like, I'm not trying to lose games, and I do you do an extent appreciate that. I also think that the victory again and the winning means something, but winning how is important as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he's dictated by wins and losses, so I totally understand from his standpoint.
Speaker 2: But he knows the bigger picture here.
Speaker 6: He knows what Buster Posey and Zack Manasin are doing behind the scenes. He just has to says he just has to say that to the media right now. So yes, despite what happens, he doesn't really have a say in what goes on in the front office.
Speaker 2: So he just rolls with the punches.
Speaker 6: Okay, we're gonna trade away Elliott Ramos and Luisa Rise and Robbie Ray and all these guys, and I have to find a way to win games. Look, sure they're more of a plan in the off season. If there is there will be an off season. But we'll see if there's a season. But yeah, I think at this point it's evaluation mode for fans as well. Who do you like who you don't like and let's see what happens in the off season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, who do you like as a fan? It's funny, right because you can see something like let me ask you, just me and you, dude fifty thousand, all right, you emia nobody else listening in, Like, how do you as a fan? You're a fan, I'm a fan. We're guys who've never played pro sports.
Speaker 1: How do you think.
Speaker 3: Fans view the game relative to whether or not they're right or wrong about what it is they're seeing?
Speaker 6: Oh, well, go ahead. You know that's where you and I step in and tell them how wrong they are.
Speaker 1: Right, you would answer this one, bro, well what do you think?
Speaker 3: Cause, like, dude, I like, there's a great scene and I know people hate on it that movie Fever Pitch for Jimmy Fallon.
Speaker 2: I actually never seen it yet.
Speaker 3: It's to me, I don't hate it. I don't think it's a great baseball movie. But there are scenes in it that make me laugh. And there's one where he's okay, so he's like a middle school teacher. He's talking to Drew berrymore and they've been dating throughout the off season. Yeah, and he's trying to tell her, like, a baseball season is coming, and you don't know who I am when baseball starts, right, So he goes. She invites him to like go to a birthday thing for her family, and he goes, I, So here's the thing. Every spring break, me and my buddies go down to spring training in Florida. She goes, you go to Florida for spring break at your age. He's like, no, no, no, no, it's not spring spring break. It's spring training. She goes in the Red Sox like, let you train with the team, and he goes, no, no, no, no, no. We don't get to train with him. But we look at the team and we decide who we like, we don't like, who they should keep, or who She goes and.
Speaker 1: The Red Sox listen to you, and he goes, well, no, not he not yet.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, when you bring it down like that, it sounds sad.
Speaker 1: It does. That's kind of the point of what I'm getting.
Speaker 3: But that's sports fandom, that's exactly it is. Like I'm evaluating these guys. I want to know who they should take, who they should keep, what they should do in the draft, who should be the starter next year. Yeah, because you're an informed fan and because it all comes back to your love and care for the success of this team. Yes, So it brings me back to like, fans are emotional. I'm emotional. Yes, you're emotional. We've been around the stuff.
Speaker 2: They're called fanatics for a reason, man.
Speaker 3: World, Yeah, that's exactly where the word fan comes from, that you're a fanatic about this team in and of itself. So I just wonder, like when we talk about, Okay, who do fans want to see? Who do they want to keep? For me, it's less about like does the fan like what's happening or does the fan understand how the team views this player. That's where That's how I view baseball at this point of the year.
Speaker 2: I think it's mixed.
Speaker 6: I think that we see, we hear fans call in in and it frustrates me. But the fans that call in and say, why would you trade Luisa Rise He's the heartbeat of the team right now, And I'm like, I understand, but guys, it's an expiring contract. You're gonna lose him anyway, probably in the offseason, so you would have to trade him. It's not about this guy inspiring your child at the game right now, it's about getting prospects for him.
Speaker 2: That's the ultimate goal here.
Speaker 6: It's not about putting smiles on children in the ballpark.
Speaker 3: Eight year old Charlie don't care about the single way prospects you got from the dr that's coming over.
Speaker 2: But neither does. But Buster Posey doesn't care about the kid.
Speaker 1: I mean he.
Speaker 3: Does because he's the memory making Yeah he is. I would say he does care about that kid. But like you got a job for the lawn hall, you got a job to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
Speaker 3: My brother texted me today and said, with with that that article tag to the text, he said, number four Giants prospects system in all of baseball.
Speaker 1: He goes, Buster knows what he's doing. I was like, yeah, I also think that.
Speaker 3: In the Hunter Pence's comment earlier today, he said, look, it's gonna take three years before it's Buster's team. I've been saying that to you since Paster took the job. Yeah, I told you that. I was like, dude, went far on took the job. People were pissed day one year one season. People are upset because it's the move on from Boach. It's the hiring of Dave Kapler's all this stuff people were upset about, and I go, dude, the guy doesn't even have his system in place. Now we find out his system wasn't operating at a super high level. There are pieces from that system that are working out. Bryce Eldridge's one Casey Schmid has won. There are pieces they've gotten that are going to be a part of this team going forward. That said, it's different than football. And by the way, even Kyle Shanahan needed a bit of time, took till twenty nineteen. He took over in seventeen, seventeen eighteen and into nineteen before you were the team that he was capable of winning with.
Speaker 2: And now we have the expectations, right Yeah, No, absolutely so.
Speaker 6: I mean you and I, I think have always had that mentality, and like I thought it a lot more last year when they brought in twenty vitto, like this is gonna get Rocky a little bit, And then I remember your mentality is doesn't matter he has to win right away, yes and no, Like the mentality from Buster Posey is I hope they win, but if it's not good, at least I have a guy that can speak to a younger generation if I have to flip it, and we're not there in Tyler yet, but there will be.
Speaker 2: There may be more moves in the offseason. We shall see.
Speaker 6: But as far as fans, I mean, you should anticipate this when you see six guys trade at the deadline, where wins and losses don't matter at this point.
Speaker 2: It's about evaluating players. And are fans evaluations right? Sometimes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course there are there's some fans that are like, I like this guy because you know, I think they could turn around, Like why they trade away? Why do they trade away Elliott Ramos? Why they trade away this guy? This team could turn around.
Speaker 2: Just like that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I test mean something, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: But I you know, I would say, you're probably wrong in that department.
Speaker 2: But who knows. I don't know. We act like we know as radio hosts. We don't know.
Speaker 6: I just think that I don't know whatever your heart feels as a fan by all means, but at this point you have to accept that wins and losses do not matter for this team right now.
Speaker 2: Obviously they're twenty one games, but five hundred.
Speaker 1: I think I'm.
Speaker 3: Just gonna I'm gonna parse what you said just briefly, and this doesn't meant as like a criticism of what you said. Matter to me, when it comes to wins and losses for a sports team, they always matter. To say they don't matter is in my mind, and again not putting this on you, Derek, I'm saying in my mind, to say it doesn't matter is almost taking away from the job that so many people within the organization are doing to try to get guys ready to win, right And it's baseball is a different game where it's not all on one guy. You know, Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter I've ever seen, and he went to the playoffs with the Giants a lot of times. He went to one World Series, right, the best if you have the best player in basketball, you're like in it every year, you know what I mean, You're like in Lebron was the best player for a lot of us who have ever seen guy was in eight straight NBA finals. It doesn't always happen that way, right, But matter to me sometimes takes away from the work that they do behind the scenes. And just because you put in the work doesn't mean it's not real. It means it didn't it didn't meet the expectation that it took to get into the playoffs or succeed that year. I would say winning is just not, at this point in the season, the number one most important thing, because I do think winning is cultural. I do think they continuing to win and feeling that even when things aren't going well build something in somebody.
Speaker 1: Because to lose and lose and lose and.
Speaker 3: Then find joy or find success in well, but that guy developed that doesn't feel great, you know what I mean? Like, So I think winning is important. I think winning is a cultural thing. And I think that's where Tony Vitello is when he says that, And that's why I respect, relate and understand what he's saying.
Speaker 1: I just go, yeah, but was losing this game.
Speaker 3: As important as letting Tidwell get out of that jam? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, that's where I weigh that difference. But I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't put myself in that chair, So I just have to do it as a fan. I won't say it won't matters, and I think that's I honestly think that's kind of what you're saying too. It's not that it doesn't matter, it's just that it's not. It's not paramount on August twelfth or whatever day we're at now. No, no, no, when when you're twenty one games back.
Speaker 6: Is what I'm saying is to certain people, like if you're asking me in the grand scheme of things this giant season, no, And of course, like fans don't want to see a one hundred lost season, but we're turning in that direction right now. But does it matter to Bryce Eligerridge as a matter, to Logan Webb, all these guys on the team right now? Absolutely? Does it matter to Tony Vitello, Yes? Does it matter to Buster Posey, I'm sure he has pride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what he's doing right now, yeah.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: But like as far as what the end goal is, no, it doesn't matter. Like, yes, you can establish winning cultures when you're having a losing season. Like there's gonna be so many teams going into this NFL season, We're gonna write them off immediately. We don't think the Miami Dolphins are gonna be good, the Arizona Cardinals, the Jets.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't think the Dolphins are gonna be good?
Speaker 2: Have you seen the roster?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I don't think that either, that's a that that should be a gim me Week two for the Niners.
Speaker 3: I heard their guy, Jeff Haffley talking their head coach, former Niner Stafford is right, Yeah, Jeff Haffley talking about, Yeah, I'm gonna give h.
Speaker 1: N the ball like like eighty times a game.
Speaker 3: He's joking, but he's like, I'm gonna I'm gonna drag him off the field on for forty five carries. And I was like, wait, is this is Is it Devon h In or what's his name, Devon h Yeah or is it Travis A Is it Devon atn Devon Travis Agent?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: But the point with that is he for for the Miami Dolphins this season, wins and losses do not matter. It's about establishing a culture, to establish winning ways for the future. So yes, twenty five Telo wants to win, but it's really about establishing a culture.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 6: Have we seen that as media members or fans. No, it could be behind closed doors in the clubhouse. I don't know right now. So it matters to certain people. But like in the end, all be all, no wins and losses I think forever for most people do not matter at this point.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Cambre four one, five eight, five sixty seven the number to call the detection. You got thoughts of the Giants, we will take them. But we also now with the Giants finishing this series against the Astros, they have another series against the Rocky started on Friday.
Speaker 1: We have got an off day tomorrow.
Speaker 3: For the Giants, which means you'll hear your San Francisco forty nine ers right here on the Sports Leader on the blow towards starting what is it three o'clock tomorrow. We got pregame Derek and I from two to three, three to five. We got Niner pre game against the Volunteer State Tennessee Titans. They come to town to take off the Niners in a preseason opener. We got pregame with myself in Todd Hustack tomorrow, which means it's time to at least in some degree, really put the sites on the NFL season hard knocks out and dude, I've been catching I've been catching more hard knocks lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You see, uh, you see what's the what's the name of the the Spurscuts. Mitch mit Johnson, he was met.
Speaker 3: You see that that clip of him talking to Mike McDonald, Dude, I like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he is a Seahawks fan, I guess lives in the area and the off season and the GM joined him in a little meeting about how can I establish a certain culture that you got going on right now?
Speaker 2: I lost my championship. You won yours. Mike McDonald, Yeah, they lost their championship.
Speaker 3: He also, like the GAM also like openly admits to tanking the team two years in advance. Yeah, we looked at we looked at at Wemby, and we were like, we gotta get this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a great player. We gotta started losing. We gotta start We're better start losing.
Speaker 6: And how see like that that's sports. He sometimes like, I'm not saying the Giants are intentionally losing.
Speaker 2: They're not doing that.
Speaker 6: But you got to set yourself up for failure a little bit and then but you establish something within the locker room and then you find that winning culture with whoever you have in place.
Speaker 2: As the coach.
Speaker 3: Ataway Cambre four one, five, eight, five, six, twenty seven, we will get into some football tog next. You gotta hear when Mike McDonald said it's gonna I think what did you say? Derek is gonna promote a lot of new drops for us.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, clip this is this this this clip last night featured Mike McDonald chewing into Derek Hall, So we can use a lot of these the these sound bites in this clip.
Speaker 1: Does he say Derek a lot?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, dude.
Speaker 3: If you if you were looking for some new drops to rip Derek, you're gonna want to be here next. Also, dude, there better not be anything from Michael McDonald on Yamo be there, bro.
Speaker 6: If I'm a Yama, if I hear that song one more time, I yamo burned this place of the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to say the next person minute if I here, Yamo b there one more time. By the way, my guy Paul Road, he's wearing my shoes.
Speaker 1: He's in that movie.
Speaker 4: Yes he is.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: I thought Matt Dame was kind of like a Streisand, but he's a kicking ass in this movie.
Speaker 3: Kind of like bag sand All right, we'll take a quick break. Adam Copeland deep pop, Danny done hanging out with you.
Speaker 1: It's a Friday. It's a friday. It's a Wednesday afternoon. We're hanging out with you. I wish it was due.
Speaker 3: We're live from the well. I'm lie from the broadcast booth at Oracle Park. Giants fall to the Astros two or three, but we get the nighter preseason kicking off tomorrow.
Speaker 1: More to come. Dirty Work on a Wednesday on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 8: Now back to dirty Work Adam Copeland and Derek Papa on K and B R one O four, five and six eighty Am The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, Danny, Hell yeah, Dan.
Speaker 3: Dirty work on a Wednesday afternoon, Adam Copeland, deep pop, Danny done hanging out with you?
Speaker 1: Dude, I got I got on.
Speaker 3: A crow kick yesterday, Derek. Yeah yeah, dude, I was all over it this morning. It applies to what's going on with the Giants right now. If baseball makes you happy, it can't be that bad. They're twenty one games below five hundred.
Speaker 1: But then why said, oh it's a twenty one Oh yeah under yeah. Yeah. We're trying to laugh, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just trying to have a good times, to some fun.
Speaker 1: It's a little easier when you're not in July.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean with things that I've long thought the worst thing for a baseball team, especially like in the job that we have is being like a seventy seven win team, seventy eight win team, because you're like, you're not good enough to be in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just out of it.
Speaker 3: You're clamoring all year. But at least at those points you're more interested in, like, can we do something to be relevant? Can we be a playoff team? Versus this year where it kept thinking, we kept thinking, they can't be this bad, right, They're not this bad. They've got more talent than this. They can't keep losing the way they're losing. They are, and they they just couldn't turn it around. And then after July you get to the trade deadline and Buster Posey, to his credit, has has made a change in his focus for the organization. I mean he took over with a team that he thought was capable of winning and made a move. I still, to this point, I am a little perplexed about the Vitello higher. Like if you hire Tony Vitello and you told me that they were going to go the path that they went at the deadline, I'd be like, this makes sense, Yeah, this is a somewhat rebuild, But it was almost like they tried to do the Joe Lakob two timeline thing, right, Like, let's try to win with this team, but also develop with a manager who we think is a guy who's capable of developing young talent like we saw at the college ranks, and instead of that, we saw a team that, not to his complete fault or detriment, has not succeeded.
Speaker 1: And yet anyway, we're in the spot where they need to rebuild and develop talent.
Speaker 3: But you look today and Baseball America's got them ranked as the number four pharm system in all of baseball. And more to that point, it's not just that their rant number four, it's that their top prospects are all having very good seasons and that means.
Speaker 1: A bit more so. Still perplexed about that, but we've got plenty of time to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Well, go ahead, real quick.
Speaker 6: Would you feel better about let's say they have the same season going right now, but Nick Hunley is the manager.
Speaker 2: Are you feeling better about the giant situation.
Speaker 9: Right now?
Speaker 6: We're going forward, Let's say the seasons the same thing, but Nick Cunley's in as manager.
Speaker 2: As a post a twenty Vitel.
Speaker 3: No, I don't feel much different Okay, to be honest, I don't. Okay, if it's if it's Bob Melvin, I actually feel worse. Yeah, to be honest with you, because they regressed. They would have regressed, yeah, and they were a worse team. Would they have been better with Melvin?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Incrementally, I don't know. And like what I'm saying when I mean my incremental is like five wins?
Speaker 2: Did I mean?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think there are a team that's over five hundred or add five hundred. I don't think I Tello's had that impact on this team. There's no way to actually measure that, right, There's no way to actually know, But I like, I understand the higher of Iello. If the thought is they gotta get younger, we got to develop, it's going to be a different situation, right, But that wasn't the plan. It was it's time to go, and this isn't the guy to help us go, so let's get somebody else. And instead it feels like, okay, Buster might have had one eye on this version of this team mm hmm, and then one eye on but we have this roster and I traded for Devers and we've got committed money to guys who can help us win. Now, it just didn't go the path.
Speaker 1: It didn't.
Speaker 3: It doesn't take him off the hook for how they went about the offseason. I still I won't let them off the hook for how that went for the bullpen and the pitching staff. I don't agree with it, and we've watched it play out. That said, we're seeing more of the howser they thought they were getting than the hawser that started the season in the rotation.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And I understand the sentiment as well from fans that are like, Okay, I get it, like, yes, this the rest of the season really doesn't matter. But we've been seeing this for a long time now, and this is by far the worst Since twenty twenty one, this team has been mediocre or just downright terrible, and that's this season. So I understand the frustrations. It needs to change. I just don't know when it's going to change. Probably not anytime soon right now.
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you on that one.
Speaker 3: Anyway, came to our four one, five eightyweight, five sixty seven, the number to call and the number of ten, let's go out to Chris. Chris is on the the phone lines before we get into some NFL stuff. Chris, you're in Santa Clara, You're on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: What's up, dude? Hey?
Speaker 4: Thanks. You know, guys, I'm curious when you look at who played today for the Giants, what I see is I see the Giants twenty twenty seven, and frankly, I see Giants twenty twenty eight. And I'm going to ask, out of today's life, who do you suggest may not be on the opening day lineup, not even opening day roster or twenty twenty seven, whenever that does happen, and eight who played today is on the roster.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Chris.
Speaker 3: This is why Chris, let's run through the lineup today, because because I'm with you, dude. Like, we had a couple of calls right after the deadline and a couple of people were calling this a fire.
Speaker 1: Sale, and I was like, well, not really, because a fire.
Speaker 3: Sale is like selling off everything you've got for parts, get rid of, everything must go. And that was another Giants went about it. They went about it in the in the the scope in my mind of like, anybody who's not necessarily guaranteed to be under contract next year is somebody we can get something for So if we run through it, Chris and Danny Mitchull, he's potted up here. If we go Jung Hou Lee Lee's in the opening day lineup next year?
Speaker 2: Right, yep?
Speaker 1: Chris, you with me?
Speaker 4: Yep, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I agree, okay. Williadomas yep, yep, yep. Bryce Heldridge yep, yep. Raphile Devers yep.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay.
Speaker 3: Barrakoto's the one where you go, I gotta see something and you don't even have to show it all this year. You got to show it this year and in spring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 4: Agree, He's a he's an interesting one. Let's watch and see what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also Chris would add that like Barracoto's in the spot, Like there's some guys who we anticipate will be here, like Casey Schmidt. He's going to be an opening day starter for the Giants. I would assume health permitting next year. But he's a guy who's like they have an option to figure out is he going to be the second baseman, is he the left fielder?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Where is he playing?
Speaker 3: But Schmid's a guy I think gives them versusile. So Barrakoto to me, is not an absolute for sure, he's out there, Drew Gilbert, I'm gonna go opening day roster, not necessarily starter, but I think he's opening day roster.
Speaker 1: Are you with me there?
Speaker 3: I think he's a platoon guy unless they find somebody who's an everyday center fielder. He's a left handed bat who's not good against left handed pitching, but has been pretty damn good against Righty's connection.
Speaker 1: To yeah, connection to Tony.
Speaker 3: Dude, a slave. This pasab is maybe my favorite. Didn't know he existed, dude in the last two years, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's been kind of intero. I mean he's gonna say that's actually interesting just to kind of watch him. He really hustle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's and he's a guy who's got a glove.
Speaker 3: He swings out of his ass, which I love, dude, you guys swinging, swinging hard every time out. Also a guy with a little bit of big league experience. He's a dude I look at is like he'll have a chance to make the team next year because he's versatile. I see him as a guy that could be the Christian cost version of the around the diamond infield or backup that the Giants are looking for, because I don't see Costs as a guaranteed every day guy.
Speaker 4: Do you see Costs as being on the roster.
Speaker 3: I think he's in competition. I think he's I think if a guy like Basab performs here at the end of the year the way he has, I think it's a spring competition. I think bench rolls, oftentimes, unless under contract, are kind of up for grabs, and for a team like the Giants, who have been lacking in a lot of areas, I think there's a true opportunity for some guys to make noise or to try to claim a spot. So I would say it's up in the air. But I would say Besoe aban cost one of the two is an opening day guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fair enough. And I think Kavanaugh's got a shot to at least be on the roster, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: It's like, dude, I think he's a right now what I've seen from him, And he had a nice game today, hit the ball hard a couple of times, had a nice swing a couple.
Speaker 1: Of nights ago.
Speaker 3: I think he's struggled a bit at the plate, but his numbers aren't as bad as you might think, but I view him as more of a if he gets comfortable catching a game, I love a backup defensive catcher, and I think he offers you that if if Sue Sack is your opening day, dude, yeah sounds good.
Speaker 4: So the reason why I asked the question, I really appreciate the conversation, Yeah, man, is that this is not This is not what used to be a late September calling up a bunch of minor league right chapter of a sucky season, right, yep, this is the next two hundred games before the guants are going to be right. And I think it's important to kind of approach it that way because, you know, it kind of feels like what it used to be when we were younger. Right, hey, September, you know, dog and a whole freaking minor leagues come up. Let's go watch what's maybe gonna happen? Sure, no, no, no, this is it. This is the best that they have to offer for the next year, if not two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do agree with you.
Speaker 3: And what's funny is I don't hate this lineup, man like, and I know Chapman's probably a guy who's a part of this as well, right in Casey Schmid, who we mentioned.
Speaker 1: But that's that was kind of my point is like, I think we enter.
Speaker 3: Next year, dude, with like seven of at least seven of the same guys that we opened this year with on opening day.
Speaker 4: What's gonna be different?
Speaker 3: Hopefully the pitching staff, that would be my hope, because that's the side that really let him down.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, I figured I would at least just kind of kind of bring it up because now you're right, I don't disagree, man, Yeah, yeah, yeah, just kind of how we look at the rest of the season because I think it's easy to go, oh, you know, it's over.
Speaker 9: You know, let's just see.
Speaker 4: But you know that's what it used to feel like when we were younger, right, and we just think it's different. So anyway, Hey, I just wanted to kind of chip that in, and I you know, to me, it means that if they really can't cut it now, I'm not talking on the pitching side. I mean today pitching was great, right, I mean, what are you gonna do complain two runs?
Speaker 1: How's it was great?
Speaker 3: And it's the offensive. Let you know, today I appreciate the conquerors, thanks so much. And that's the thing too, is is look at what was it, seven or eight games now they've led at the end of the eighth inning, and they've lost those games this year. Seventeen blown saves, like that doesn't mean you lost. I mean you didn't close the door when you had the lead late in the game. And that's not neither here nor there, but it is. It's part of the game. That's too many times to have that happen. And I do think not naming a closer was a big issue. I mean, look no further than than Caleb Killian's numbers in the ninth inning versus outside of the ninth, right, Like, the ninth inning is different. Sergio Romo has told me as much. Different Different guys who have been in the ninth across baseball for years will tell you the eighth is different than the ninth because the ninth it's almost like you blow it in the eighth, Derek. The mindset for me is like, man, that's stunk, but we have a chance still to win this game. Right, you blow it in the ninth, You're like, dude, we were about to win. Yeah, it was over and you didn't get you didn't close the door.
Speaker 6: No, I mean that's been the case for most of the season. And yeah, you're hoping that the pitching turns around next year. But if this is the lineup we have next year too, I mean, yeah, to his point, what changes, hopefully the pitching, but it's gonna be the same product on the field as far as wins and losses. Yeah, maybe, yeah, I like I would I would really hope not. You know, of course not hope not, but say, is it the same as wins and losses? Like I if you if you go into that year where a bullpen constructed the same way as you did this year, you're asking for trouble, right, Like I would expect them to say that can't happen again. If anything, that will be something that's fixed.
Speaker 2: I would hope.
Speaker 1: I would hope they overcorrect on that front.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would think that Busher would take accountability for his mistakes. And it may not be him, and maybe the whole you know, as far as the front office and you know, the owners as well, like putting some value into the into the bullpen and hopefully the rain of Rodriguez comes back. But yeah, I mean, if this is what we're looking at I get it, like you know, it is what it is at this point, and you hope that things are turned around, but I do not know.
Speaker 2: I don't know about the future right now.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Cam yours and I'm gonna call four and five eighty eight five six said, let's go to Donald Donald is in Stockton.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 7: Donald?
Speaker 1: You're on the Sports Leader. Hell you guys.
Speaker 7: I was kind of upset that Logan Web pitched that's a great game the other day, and uh, I wish he would have like taken a day off and they moved him into the second game. Uh, but it's the leadoff game for some reason. Is uh, I don't know. The picture was fantastic for the other for who the help we play? Yeah, the Asters and the leadoff spot is a questionable thing. I don't think Jung Ho Lee should be a leadoff position. I mean, he plays great when he's batten five and uh, you know he's got men on base. Maybe he's just not a leadoff hitter. We don't have a Mike Hargrove or a who's he as leadoff hitter man? Ricky Anderson, My god, the guy was slamming slamming Hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mean you mean the greatest leadoff hitter who ever lived?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 7: They don't have a Yeah, and you're not going to find players like that. But you know, how about how about Devers? The guy can smack the ball out of the park and you get on base too. Right, But we lost Matt, we lost Matt Chapman, we lost Casey. They're probably gone for the rest of the year. And uh, now we've got players that I don't know who they are. I mean, it's like it's tough. And Robbie Ray was pitching great, he gets traded? What else happened?
Speaker 1: Boy? Hold on? Hold on, Hong Hong.
Speaker 3: You thought they should have kept Robbi Ray? You thought they should have kept Robby Ray when they were like seventeen games under five hundred.
Speaker 7: Though, Well, if they if they're going to trade him and get something for him, he.
Speaker 1: Did they do? They got something for him.
Speaker 3: They got something for him, to the point that now the Giants are raided by Baseball America the number four team in all of baseball in their minor league system. Like that's something we as Giants fans, have talked about for it decade at not being good at So if you're not gonna win games, isn't the alternate, Like, let's get better somewhere else. And I think they did at least on paper, and the guys they got are having good years. Like I can't I can't do and honestly, I can't keep thinking back to, well they shouldn't have traded away. I wanted to see a rise play. Does it really matter who you're seeing? Like the guys you saw today, So many of these guys we just named, like five of them. You're saying you don't know who they are. They were in the opening day lineup. Lee Adamis Eldridge wasn't there, but you expected him to be here at some point. Drew Gilbert we saw last year. You knew he'd be up at some point this year. Raphael Devers, Christian Kass was on the roster most of last year.
Speaker 1: That's six of your.
Speaker 3: Opening day lineup right now, you know what I mean? Or not opening day line that's six of your lineup today. And those guys were all guys we expected to see this year. So like, I get what you're saying, but we also don't have to our previous collegs point dude, we don't have the forty man roster or the rosterer. You have the forty man roster, we don't have the roster expansion to forty guys. In September, you only get to go to twenty eight. So when the Giants were in it in the Dusty Baker era, in the Bruce Bogi arrow with Sabian, we would be in the playoff hunt. Then you get to September and you'd see all these guys come up that maybe we don't remember or weren't factors in the postseason, but they were there to alleviate some of the pressure and stress on the guys who'd been grinding through the first five months. When you're out of it, these are the guys you got to take a look at. Eddi's Leonard's already gone, you know what I mean. Barracota they're getting a look at because they traded Ramos, So they need to know are we going to go into the offseason looking for a left fielder or do we have a guy we think can be a left fielder. Like I really do think that we got more scope on the vision forward, whether it means succeeding now or in three years when the minor league system gets here. I think we've got more vision for this team going forward because to my point from earlier, man like the wins and losses at this point in the season, twenty one games under, it's not the most important thing. I think it's important because I think it's culture for the team and for the organization. But I don't think that's the end all, be all goal for the month of August.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree. I'm just I'm glad they didn't get rid of a few players. I mean, I heard Jung Ho Lee was on the block, and I'm like, oh, please, don't get rid of Jung Ho Lee.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, I'm with you.
Speaker 7: He was hurt, he got hurt last year, but he he is just tearing it up this year. But uh no, I agree, and uh Casey Smith is going to be uh back in next year and look at Yeah, next year is what we're looking at. I know, but we've got to be positive for this year. I don't want to hear this. We might win, we might lose a hundred games. I don't want to hear that because we're not going to lose a hundred games. You know, We're gonna win enough to you know, we're not gonna be in the playoffs, of course, but you know, I just wanted to get past this year and get Chapman and Casey Smith back and we'll be fine.
Speaker 3: I appreture the call brother thinks so much, but they might. I don't ye, I don't know what they're gonna lose.
Speaker 1: Or what they're gonna win. N I will say this, Uh.
Speaker 3: I love the idea of a guy like Eldridge coming up when it's not going good and then things turning around. Like I like when guys you know what I mean, Like you see that with the The best example of that, Derek is like NFL quarterbacks because the number one guy gets drafted to the worst team right where the Bengals good.
Speaker 1: When they got Burrow. No, don't want to look at them now, like, dude, they have a shot.
Speaker 2: Every they turned it around, Yes they have Burrow.
Speaker 1: Right, Like we look at that them, We're like, dude, they got a shot.
Speaker 6: So you're hopeing Bryce Eldridge is the quarterback that changes the franchise, except the baseball doesn't work exactly like it's It's it's very different. Like Cam Warren needs to be that guy for the Tennessee Titans right now. But you need pitching. You need a ton like not not a ton of guys on the Giants right now.
Speaker 3: He's could hit seventy three and miss the playoffs. Like I don't know, Barry Bonds, you know what I mean. He hit seventy three and they didn't go.
Speaker 1: To the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Like that's that's my point.
Speaker 1: He threw seventy three touchdowns, dude, I swear to god, you're you have a buye Like.
Speaker 2: If you throw seventy three, only a bye, my friend, you are seventeen to oh, you might.
Speaker 1: Get a buy into the NFC championship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seventy three touchdowns?
Speaker 1: Good lord. That's what I'm saying is like.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow through sixty to college season.
Speaker 3: You can give up all the touchdowns you want. He's gonna throw seventy three. I don't care how good your defense is. Dude, throw seventy three teddies. You're going to the playoffs. That's happening, yes, without question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, come on, you hit seventy three, But Madden seasons you play, you don't get seventy three touchdowns thrown.
Speaker 3: You hit seventy three bombs. You're like, oh, dude, that team's got showing Anne Johnson, we're not going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's really how it worked out.
Speaker 3: An away camby are four one, five, eight, five, sixty two seven Dandy a little on air producing were we behind?
Speaker 1: I don't even know what my clock is, brother, I think.
Speaker 2: We're in the four.
Speaker 4: We're behind.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're really behind.
Speaker 1: I think, well, say you know what, Danny, stuff, you're stuff. You're behind in a sack? You asked. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like it came on the air and be like, guys were behind.
Speaker 1: He's in my ear.
Speaker 2: He's like, we got it going. Okay, it's come on.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's my birthday, It's we're twenty three. All right.
Speaker 3: This is never a time we've ever gone to break. This is actually an exact time we would never break, right, Derek.
Speaker 2: Not usually at this time. We come back. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, Danny, I don't need you talking ask either. Okay, I don't need you to tell me I'm late off.
Speaker 2: I like this, Come on, Daddy, let's go. Let's go take them off.
Speaker 1: In a way camp we are, y'amo, b there a little Michael.
Speaker 2: McDonald's service down Seahawk's action.
Speaker 1: Next on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 7: The picture was fantastic for the other for who the hell do we play?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 8: Back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop on one oh four five FM and six eighty am v Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Dirty Work with You on a Wednesday afternoon, Adam Coupling depop Danny Down hanging out with the online from.
Speaker 1: The broadcast booth at Oracle Park.
Speaker 3: Giants fall to the Astros two to one, But I don't think the end results is really what.
Speaker 1: What we should be focused on now.
Speaker 3: People have been calling in at eight o a KMBR four one five eight five sixty seven, Derek, I was just discussing behind the scenes here with Danny. Now, in front of the scenes. Nobody ever talks about in front of the scenes. It's always behind you ever know that?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that's the right term, behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's talk about in front of the scenes.
Speaker 6: Is it ever really in front of the scenes, like in front of the scenes would be us. It's just this, Yeah, this is the scene. Danny's behind the scenes. And sometimes on the scene.
Speaker 3: I said to Danny, you know, Danny, when the Giants lose like a heartbreaking game, and today it was frustrated. Of course they lost, but I'm like, it's I'm sort of bey on that at this point, you can't hurt me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, you can't hurt me and you can't break me.
Speaker 1: But you won't break me now, not in August, when.
Speaker 2: You can't break out of these cuffs. I can break out of these cuffs.
Speaker 3: Now when preseason starts tomorrow, I can break out of these cuffs. I said to Danny, I said, why we're getting calls? Man, I didn't know we'd get calls today on the Giants. He's like, yeah, I thought we would really damn Now, Dan, why would you say that fans are frustrated, Derek?
Speaker 2: They want to vent Okay about this game, No about the season? All right, Okay, that that.
Speaker 6: Makes more sense if we're analyzing every game at this point. I'm like, come on, guys, but I get it, Like, it's not just this season. It's been a long time now that the Giants have been mediocre, or as fans have said, ass, here's here's where.
Speaker 1: I would feel better though, Derek.
Speaker 3: Do you think do you think people who are calling in we got Mario Patrick and Jonathan on the line, We'll get the calsure in just to say.
Speaker 1: You think people calling in turn on the radio and we're like, I'm I'm provoked. I'd like to call. Or do you think they saw the Giants lose the game and they were like, I gotta get this off my chest?
Speaker 2: A little bit of both.
Speaker 1: I like to think it's us.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's probably us. We probably provoked them a little bit.
Speaker 6: But also I'm sure people are like, I kind of want to hear that Mike McDonald's sound too.
Speaker 1: People, are you gonna play that Yamo b there?
Speaker 10: Or what?
Speaker 3: Let's go to Mario Mario's and Mario, when did you decide to call You're on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 5: Oh, I decided to call after the game because I honestly believe that the Giants, I will believe they will lose one hundred games for the next ten years.
Speaker 1: And I'm come on, lose one hundred games. We got a buster voodoo dollar there? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, this is the biggest buster voodoo doll I've ever created, because think about he's gonna be gone. He's gonna be and it's gonna take at least six years for these players to come up and do what you guys want to do. That's assuming that they developed them in they perform, which they won't. That guy they got from the Yankees is a stiff. Jackson Florida dropped at number four because his slider speed is off. That means the draft is gonna be a bust. Those guys are not gonna perform. They passed on all the hitters. There's not gonna be hitters for the next ten years. And what are you gonna do? How are you gonna You're digging yourself a hole. How are you gonna dig yourself out of that hole? And then come up above all these other teams that have their younger players getting experienced and getting better and better. The Giants always believes that the other the rest of the league stays the same, and then they're gonna get better and then they're gonna win. They're crazy. This is the curse of Buster Posey. It will live forever. People will die before they have a championship. He said, we make memories here. We make memories here.
Speaker 4: Hitters hit.
Speaker 5: We have the best left side of the infield in baseball. Those were all lies. You have the worst left side of the infield in baseball, and it costs you three hundred and fifty million dollars. And then you got Devers for another two hundred and eighty million, and you got Harrison Bader, and you got the Justin Verlan.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, they're not paying baby, going hold on, they're not paying him. Okay, Mario, let me ask you this.
Speaker 3: One thing I totally respect and love about Mario already is the dudes got to take and the dude is just standing buy it.
Speaker 1: And that's you know what.
Speaker 3: I don't agree with you, Mario, but I'm good with with you having your take in believing it. What I would ask you is this, do you believe gms are presidents of baseball? In any sport? Let's call it baseball but for now, But in any sport? Do you think they're capable of changing who they are? Especially early in Buster's tenure here, do you think they can change? Because you have no idea. I have no idea if Buster's capable of putting together a minor league system that can develop. Because I'll tell you what, dude, I never thought for a long time that Brian Sabian was capable of developing talent until the end of the Bonds era, when all they did was develop talent because they were not a team that brought up young players that were of great success. They were not a team that had tons of young pitching. They would acquire it from other teams. They would acquire fielders from other teams, and then they would become stables.
Speaker 1: Like Ken, like Richard really who they brought up. But there weren't a ton of guys like that.
Speaker 3: So until that era, when Tim Let's come out here, Matt came down here, Buster Posey got here, Madison Bumgunder got here, Joe Panic, Brandon Crawford, Brandon Belt, like, they weren't developing tons of talent. Do you do you not believe that a guy is capable of doing that? Because I don't think we've seen any We have not to this point seen any player Buster Posey is drafted, So like, how can you be so sure when we've seen a season and change of a guy's system.
Speaker 2: How could you be so sure?
Speaker 1: How could you be so sure?
Speaker 5: I'm positive? Is this because pos not developed talent? Because he is not a Billy Martin? That the information? Okay, So these hitters in these minor league hitters are intellectually dependent on him. The draft is intellectually dependent on him. But he's deferring all this stuff to Zach Manasian and the other troops, so he's really not doing any of the filtering. That's how he's not going to be able to develop all these players. And another thing, all those players you develop, You're right, Brian Samian didn't developing in those players. Brandon Crawford was ready made.
Speaker 3: But hold on, hold on, hold on, No, he was not. Bro hold on, now, I'm gonna stop you. Brandon Crawford was ready made. Brandon Crawford was a defensive shortstop that they drafted to be a defensive short stop. The guy came up, ended up making multiple All Star teams, became a guy who had multiple seasons of twenty home runs. He was ready made. He went from rookie ball to the majors over a.
Speaker 1: Number of years. What do you mean he was ready made? What do you mean, sod so, bron hold on, so.
Speaker 3: Brian Saban couldn't draft a guy who was ready made until Brandon Crawford showed up.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying? Buster Posey was ready made? Madison Bumguard was an eighteen year old a seventeen year old when they drafted him in two thousand and seven. He was the same grade I was in high school. He turned eighteen in August of that year. He's four months younger than I am. None of these guys were ready made. Matt Cain was a high school pitcher.
Speaker 3: Tim Linsekam was a guy who was drafted three times and wouldn't go as high as he did because he was a five foot nothing threw one hundred miles an hour. They thought he'd break down, and he did with the Giants capitalized on what he was capable of. You're not gonna look at a player now and say, well, he doesn't count, So you're gonna take away credit from Buster when you haven't seen any of his results from anybody he's drafted. But you're not going to give credit to Sabian. Also, because you think that Brandon Crawford was ready made, Brendan Crawford would tell you to your face he was not ready made.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing is, Brandon Crawford, I knew him and he was seventeen years.
Speaker 1: That's not what I asked you.
Speaker 3: I don't care when you knew him I'm asking you who else was ready made? And why don't you think Buster is capable of developing talent when you've seen a year in change?
Speaker 5: Okay, Buster Posey was ready made?
Speaker 1: Now he wasn't he was ready made?
Speaker 5: How Florida State made him into a superstar. He would not be anything. If he didn't go to Florida State, he would have been nothing. He'd have been a fat short stop. Is so?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 5: Then? So?
Speaker 1: Then who's who's the best GM in baseball? Who do you think.
Speaker 5: Right now the best GM in baseball? Wow, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: How many? How a better question? How many GMS can you name in baseball?
Speaker 5: I can name all. I've met almost all of them, and.
Speaker 1: They didn't name one named the best one?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Rand Brandon dom date, Okay, Dave Cavo said he wanted me to work with.
Speaker 1: David Cowell was the president of a team and he's not even there anymore. Wrong, Give me another one, David Forest days ago?
Speaker 3: Give me another one. You named all of the ones in but you know all the ones in baseball. You named a dude who's not employed anymore in a former president. Go ahead, give me another one.
Speaker 5: How about John Moselek.
Speaker 1: How about David John Mazeliak. Yeah, okay, so you've met him and you know him, he's the best of baseball. I met, I met Who's the best GM? And how many rings does a J. Pereler have?
Speaker 3: Who's the best GM in baseball? Because you clearly don't value them? How do you guys if you think they're who mey?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm just saying like, he's met all these gms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where do you hang out, dude?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, I want to know.
Speaker 3: I want to know who you think the best one is and what they're what their good qualities are. How do you gauge a GM by saying no, they were ready made? Don't you get credit for drafting a guy? By the way, Buster won the number one pick one, the number two pick one, the number three pick one, the number four pick. How are you gonna say that this guy was ready made, had to go through years of monorn League baseball before he got here, and that he was he was ready made and you shouldn't get credit for drafting him.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? Bro?
Speaker 9: Oh mate?
Speaker 5: You're you trying to say Ron Wotis helped Brandon.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything. You're the only person saying names. Brother, you are the only guys saying names. I haven't brought up a name. You came with a name.
Speaker 3: I'm asking you to answer the question because you're naming things as fact that are completely your opinion.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, I'm gonna drop another name. Mike Martin made Buster Posey. There, he made Cal Rawley, Okay. JD Drew, Stephen.
Speaker 1: Drew, Stephen J. D Drew and Stephen Okay. JD Drew.
Speaker 3: Who was the greatest college baseball player we'd ever seen since like the great We thought he was gonna be Mickey Mantle and he wasn't. So I guess the GM of the uh who drafted the Cardinals, the Braves, whoever was what team? Whatever team drafted you saying they ruined him? Then he was ready made and they ruined him.
Speaker 1: I guess right.
Speaker 3: Oh no, And I didn't say any of what you claimed. I was saying about Ron Wotis. So give me back to who's the best GM in baseball?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 3: You named three guys. One of them was a president, and two of them weren't employed anymore.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 5: I met Brian Cashman of the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Her a call, dog, thank you for the call.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he lost me on the original point that they would lose one hundred games the next ten years.
Speaker 1: I just want to I just wanted to hand him the shovel.
Speaker 2: No, it's fair. I was like, you take the shovel.
Speaker 1: You did.
Speaker 6: I mean, he made some good points initially with the Giants when it came to you know, why they would lose one hundred games, But that's not happening. Like, what is he Stephen Colbert in Kirby Enthusiasm, you shall lose?
Speaker 1: I was like, dude, I love him there.
Speaker 3: And finally, Cavil, the guy I saw at Connecticut Yankee last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you talking? He's hanging out with GM's all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hanging out with you?
Speaker 2: I met Maziliak Okay, that was interesting.
Speaker 1: I met. I said, who's the best? I met Cashman once? All right?
Speaker 2: Yeah good.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: He's been winning a lot lately, a lot of rings since O nine. And also, dud Judge was ready made. I don't know why you're giving him credit. Yeah, Judge was ready made. Let's go to Patrick and Sider for Cisco. Patrick, I promise I'll be Oh no, he's gone, all right, we're gonna wait. We gotta break again. Dan, you're being real communicative dog? What was all get that other?
Speaker 1: Danny? Why don't you tell me who the best at?
Speaker 2: Did you start yelling at him? Start yelling at I don't know all the gms.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Camby are I'm not even mad. I'm I told the her to keep that around. Iim I get that call.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: That was like, Yeah, Webb was great the other night against.
Speaker 2: Uh play same team you played today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yesterday to eight away? Canvy are four and five? Over to call dirty work on a Wednesday afternoon. I don't know how many more breaks? Danny's just rolling him out at you.
Speaker 8: On The Sports Leader, you found Dirty Work with Adam Copeland and Derek Poppa where no job is too dirty. On k n B are the sports.
Speaker 3: Leader Dirty work with y'all on a Wednesday afternoon, Adam Copeland, d Pop, Danny done hanging out with you. I'm live from the broadcast booth at Oracle partsill let you know. The Dirty Work is sponsored by Redwood Credit Union for You for Community for seventy five years. Joined RCU today at REDWOODCU dot org Look, I'm a big believer in gms being judged or presidents being judged by the amount of success that they're able to get from the team that they put on the field.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: They're responsible for the acquiring of talent, for the drafting of talent, for the developing of talent. I think a lot of times we give credit to gms or presidents of baseball, and mostly it's baseball. I mean, because it takes, as I said, a long time for guys to reach their potential. Right, Like in football, Kyle Shannon had showed up in twenty seventeen, and I talk to you about this all the time, Derek, that first press conference they had where they had like eight guys up there on the podium.
Speaker 2: Oh we're up there.
Speaker 3: They had you check up there. You're like good Win Western Richburg. I mean that all kinds of guys.
Speaker 2: I remember recom.
Speaker 3: Minute for Kyle de Bick. These are the guys that are gonna fit into my system. Then you draft. It took a couple of years for dudes to work out. In baseball, it takes amount of time. Also in football, I always think it's a little bit ridiculous, not always, not always ridiculous. Sometimes you act a guy after year one and you're like, yeah, but you see something coming, or you see a system and things get ripped down and guy's development goes out the window.
Speaker 1: And baseball it's a bit different.
Speaker 3: Guys will take over an organization and Buster inherits all of the talent or lack thereof that far Anxiety put into the system.
Speaker 1: Right, he brought in.
Speaker 3: So it's going to take a number of years. But I'm not the one saying that the number fourteen or minor league system in baseball, that's evaluators, that's Baseball America. I'm a firm believer that it's going to take a couple of years before we actually see that talent hit the field. The difference is that Farhun was here from nineteen until two years ago. Right, that's a long time, and we didn't see a lot come from his system, And that was something I thought was gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I understood all of the the margin moves, all the small moves, and I've actually not hated a lot of the moves on the margins for Buster Posey this year. It's the moves of magnitude of things that are supposed to be tectonic plate moving moves that are supposed to make a difference for the organization, And it's the margin moves that can make you better, incrementally better than teams that are also quality teams. The margins don't matter as much when the meat and potatoes aren't doing what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Right, That's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: So when you're telling me that this isn't gonna work because Buster doesn't know what he's doing and developing talent, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Why do you know? How do you know? None of us know? And to tell me that I don't know, or that you know and nobody else.
Speaker 3: Does is outrageous because you're just giving an opinion.
Speaker 1: You're preaching it as fact.
Speaker 3: And there are gms and talent like Brian Sabian. In twenty sixty there were people wearing and this was a whole thing with Ralph on the air and Tom. There was a fire Sabian dot com that was out there. I remember seeing guys at the ballpark wearing shirts with a cartoon face of Brian Zabian that said fire Brian Sabian. Because we were any of the end of the Bonds era and to that group of fans or that mindset then, and I was not a big believer in that. But at that point we hadn't seen an NLCS, they hadn't been to a World Series. They'd been invested in the Bonds era. But like Steph Curry, your job was to put talent around the best player in the game or the best player of the organization had seen. And that's what Brian Sabian did. As soon as Brian Sabian's gone or not gone, as soon as we know it's the end of the Bonds era, what happens. Tim Moltagon came up, Tim Moldzgabon, Berry, Bonds played together Bro from May until September of that year. They were on the same team in O seven. Brian Wilson was on the seven Giants, played with Barry Bonds. I think people forget that they were moving towards that generation three years prior to winning a World Series. Matt Kine was here in two thousand and five, he made his debut. He played with Berry for three seasons. Right, So you've got to be willing to look forward and say, all right, we've got a vision for the future. I think now based on what happened at the trade deadline. We've seen Buster has and he told this as much, we've got to shift gears, We've got to focus on that while also probably trying to fix a two timeline system where I don't think the talent on this team right now is incapable of being a team that is competitive, far more competitive than what we saw this year. But in my mind, you do not compete in baseball if you can't pitch it. It's the number one thing. I'd rather be a pitching team than a hitting team eight days a week, because you can win games like you won today, right, You can win it two to one, and winning eight seven is sometimes harder to do. You gotta keep scoring, and you gotta keep runs off the board. Defense wins championships, as they say in every sport, because it turns into offensive opportunities. In baseball, that's not exactly the same, right, Because you make a great defensive play, you don't get a good field position, you don't get a transition bucket out of it, but you do build momentum, and you do shut down the opposition's offense, and you build momentum for your offense. So it's a different situation. But I'm a big believer in drafting and defense and pitching for the future, and I'm to say that Buster is incapable of that or is not able to do that, I think is ridiculous.
Speaker 6: No, I would agree. I don't think we can say that. No, And let's not act like Buster is not gonna get like a huge leash here. He's Buster posey. Some people are saying like, well, he's not gonna be here, why because he chooses not to. Yeah, I could see that, but he's not gonna be fired, so he'll get plenty of time to develop players.
Speaker 2: I think that's ridiculous to say that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Could you question him and what.
Speaker 6: He did this offseason, yes, absolutely, But as far as what he'll do in the future, No, that's ridiculous. But we should be able to criticize gms, especially when they have press conferences yesterday or whatever it was, media zooms and you give up a hypothetical though maybe you'll trade away your.
Speaker 2: Star athlete if he wants to have that conversation.
Speaker 1: You're not talking, Steph Curry, are you? Oh? I am you know I'm not hearing. I'm not hearing.
Speaker 3: Mike Greer being like, yeah, dude, we'll listen and we'll talk about it with Macklin because.
Speaker 6: Uh, I gotta say, dude, I've not criticized Monk Michaelivy Junior in a lot of things. He's in a hard position. But that quote yesterday, like unprompted, Danny Amerman asked him like about Steph Curry's future, but out of nowhere at a left field to be like, now Steph wants to have a conversation about, you know, being traded away.
Speaker 2: We'll have that conversation with him, and he's earned the right to be granted that. Why would you say that? What the hell would you say that? You don't need to bring that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, I'm with you. I don't know what are you talking about. I don't want to It almost sounded and we'll talk more about it.
Speaker 3: Almost sounds as though they were like greasing the skids for Steph to request the trade, until.
Speaker 6: Joe Lakeup went on Tim Kellacami's podcast and said no, no, no, no, no, no no no a I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no no.
Speaker 6: So there's a lot of audio we'll get to, but I think Joe went on Tim's podcast today to be like, let me put out the fire a little bit eight.
Speaker 3: Away, cambe our four one five eightyway five sixty seven the number to call in text. We got this guy who hit us on the YouTube chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, the sports.
Speaker 3: Leader in camby our YouTube video stream. I don't know if it seekins or seconds.
Speaker 1: Four all of seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I bet you do, he says a side note. I went into a local dispensary over the weekend. Yeah, the dirty Work song was being played. Felt like I was walking into heaven.
Speaker 2: Helly, that's our audience, BA boy, I like you, dude, my.
Speaker 3: Tablet down here, Danny, I can't find my charger while we're in Sigmiquele. You know who's next on the on the phone lines.
Speaker 2: That's to Patrick in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Patrick in San Francisco. You're on the sports lead. What's up, bro?
Speaker 11: What's up?
Speaker 7: Guys?
Speaker 10: I'm gonna take the opposite track of Mario and his fifty year old Billy Martin reference here. Have a little optimism, all right?
Speaker 1: So yeah, me too. I'm trying to be more optimistic.
Speaker 10: Bro. There's you can look twenty four months from now. August of twenty twenty eight, There is a very good chance if they keep playing like they are that Parks Harbor, Gavin Kielin, and Johnny Level could be on the major league roster, with Bryce Eldred's under team control and Casey Schmidt in his first year of arbitration behind that. A year after that could be Luis Hernandez and Joshua ar Gonzalez. That seems to be a pretty solid foundation if we're basing it on their current minor league production. Sure that's some optimism for the future. Now you go back to that Joe Lake up two track thing and who's blocking and clogging up the infield. We all know who. I think the hope for the next year or two is somehow Chapman, Adamis and Devers can hopefully have bounce back seasons and we can maybe get out of these contracts.
Speaker 11: Somehow.
Speaker 10: We'll have to pay him down. But I would encourage for the optimism every Giants fan out there, if they haven't already, go download the Minor League Baseball app and I look at the box scores. There is hope for the future. Thank you, guys, Love you guys. Billy Martin, really.
Speaker 3: Billy Marten, Billy Marden, do you remember in a by the way, just just uh you know, I'm a big ocean's eleven.
Speaker 2: Twelve, Yeah, twelve, not so much. I love Julia Roberts is here.
Speaker 1: She's playing how many of her?
Speaker 2: Ridiculous? That was a choice, said Julia Roberts.
Speaker 1: That test.
Speaker 2: I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 3: She looks just like Julia Roberts. You know, Yeah, I forget that the Night Fox. I don't need twelve. Yeah, forget twelve. Okay, thirteen is great, Yeah, it's a perfect it's good. You know how I feel about thirteen is how I feel.
Speaker 1: About the Hangover. If you eliminate two, one and three are fun.
Speaker 2: Actually never saw three. I was so turned off by two.
Speaker 3: Three is a good sequel to two because it's a virtual it's like sort of the same not the same thing. But they didn't just try to put it in Thailand and Bangkok, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Has there ever been where a comedy had like three great like movies? I guess Austin Powers that's about it.
Speaker 3: See, I would would, just it's funny. In hindsight, I didn't love three as much as I do now. Oh, come on, goal member, No, I like it better now, but when it kept like I don't I don't know, I don't know. Sequel eight away came to our best. That's the only one of my book that's comedic. Sequel Are we going to Meet the Fox?
Speaker 1: Don't say? Schindler's List two.
Speaker 6: It's good, but it's not as funny electric boogloo.
Speaker 1: It's not as funny as the first. Oh, thank you, I'm kidding you know what I mean on that one?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Godfather too, not quite as funny as.
Speaker 2: The first one either.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: Got from the three is hilarious though, Sophia Coppola, she makes me laugh.
Speaker 3: Dying on the steps and all that du Yeah, get Andy Garcia the yeah, uh just what I thought out they pulled me back in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, I saw somebody and don't get back to Oceans thirteen. OK, speaking of Pacino, I saw somebody put out a video on Twitter earlier today. It was a bootleg VHS of Heat, the original movie Heat, and it's you could tell, it's like literally, it's like somebody brought a video camera into a theater right in. Whenever you hear that movie, you're talking about the audience reaction, And yeah, did you see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he when he screamed, she had a great ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, but you hear the whole crowd in the movie.
Speaker 2: How could you not laugh at that?
Speaker 1: I laughed? Still you got your head all the way up it.
Speaker 6: And then Hank Kazaria like it's not scripted. He actually says, Jesus, he's.
Speaker 1: Quoting gregor greg.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: But in Oceans thirteen and just back to Billy Martin, remember in the Oceans movies, they've gotten names for all the moves that they put on. So in like Ocean's Eleven, they're looking for somebody and they end up getting at Carl Reiner, who plays Saul. They said, we need the biggest el Fitzgerald there is right, we need to have all these names for it. Right, He's gonna play our Elephantzgerald A sall will be a great one. In the third one, when they screw over Saul, they steal his hotel and all that. Willie Bank is the character and it's al Pacino and the group of guys Danny Ocean's eleven are talking about, well, what should we do to get back at him? And he goes out of respect because he's an old school guy. He shook Sinatra's hand, and there's a cote amongst guys that shook Sinatra's hand. Right, He goes, you got to offer him? And out it's the Billy Martin. It's almost a second chance.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and Billy.
Speaker 3: I always try to figure out what the meaning is of the fake names they use for it. My understanding, and just because I've seen the movie a thousand times, I assume that Billy Martin is the second chance to make it right. Because Billy Martin got fired by George Steinberg three times. Right, that's the story, right, So fired by Billy Martin three times?
Speaker 1: He goes.
Speaker 3: And then at one point, Danny Ocean George Kliney goes to meet with alput you know, and he goes, I'm gonna give you a chance to make it right.
Speaker 1: Give u what's his name?
Speaker 2: Car now?
Speaker 3: The other guy who steals a hotel from blanking, He goes, give him his give him his half share, give him his no, not talking about it's the dude Elliott Gould.
Speaker 2: Oh, Elliott Gould.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm blaking on his name of oh the character because he goes give him his half share. And then at one point out of nowhere. You get, you get, but you know going, is this a Billy Martin? I pass if he was too dumb or too stupid, did not know what was coming to him. But he knows that Billy Martin is a second sho like that. I like that reference better than I like Mario's reference to Billy Martin.
Speaker 6: No, it's code amongst the Vegas you know, it's it's elitist, not even elites.
Speaker 3: It's the guys who are in that crime community, right, Yeah, connartist passed Rubin, that's his name anyway, the Billy Martin and Ocean's thirteen Danny. Who's our next collar on the line?
Speaker 2: Jonathan leaving the game?
Speaker 3: Jonathan, Well, I bet he's long left because I'm looking at seagulls now, Jonathan, you're on these sports leader, Hey.
Speaker 10: What's up?
Speaker 7: Coach with de pop love your should.
Speaker 11: Thanks for letting me on.
Speaker 9: Yeah, leave that game sitting in traffic on the way home the.
Speaker 11: Second So I'm obviously extra frustrated, but totally understand your guys's view. I'm letting the young guys play it. That's super exciting.
Speaker 9: I just I do get a little frustrated with we're all excited that a bunch of Pods they made all these great moves at the trade deadline this year and last year. But it's a little frustrated, and it's like he's making those moves to get back to five hundred, which you know, we fired farm On and Melvin for being five hundred, and he's like trying to make up for what he kind of is already best up, you know, And I know that bunch of pod is he's god as far.
Speaker 11: As a player, right, I mean, that's that's a different thing. But as a GM it's like, man, like we're we're just trying to get back to normal, which normal apparently it's five hundred, and it's like we're like, yeah, great moves, but I mean that's all we're doing. It's getting back to like being average. And it's just I thought he was hired to like excel us to the next level, not break us back to evening, if you know what I mean. And sorry guys, but you know, thank you for letting me on to the laid off leader kN the art.
Speaker 2: So no, I appreciate the laid off leader. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, better than who is that guy the A's had who is that leadoff.
Speaker 2: Guy is, oh, yeah, have a Ricky the greatest of all time?
Speaker 1: Do we have that call?
Speaker 2: I thought I was asking, like their current lead off.
Speaker 1: I thought he was too if any.
Speaker 3: I was like, Jacob Wilf, who as you talking about right now? And I was like he was like that leadoff in of the A's had.
Speaker 1: I was like Ricky.
Speaker 3: He's like yeah, yeah, Ricky, oh yeah, Ricky. He's out there smacking him out.
Speaker 1: He's like, you're right, you got.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, Ricky, let's rick up to these days.
Speaker 1: And he said, yeah, the Giants will have one of those. I was like, nobody, nobody does. No, he's the greatest lead off inter of all time.
Speaker 6: No, but I mean I understand what he's saying, like, yes, it's it's hard to say. Are these moves great? I mean right now? Yeah, to set yourself up for success, But we don't know, we have no idea. I mean, like, are you saying, like they me these moves to get back to five hundred in time or right now? Because they're not going back to five hundred right.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you this right now, Buster, Posey's goal is not to get to five hundred. Yeah, Buster, Posey's goal is not he wants to blow past five hundred. His goal last year was to finish in the playoff race or in the postseason. I would be I think Buster would tell you to your face and Derek, you know I'm big on truth serum. I've always got vials of it laying around. If Buster were to drink some of that, some of that truth serum, it's more hooch than truth zerum. Prison wine and my toilet if you in my but it is, don't forget my toilet's it's nice, Derek. Remember, yeah, got that big shower.
Speaker 2: The smurfs, the yeah whatever, this stirst of joy?
Speaker 3: How many smurfs could I fit in the showers, the free and the toilet apparently? Yeah, well that's that's a little smaller room, but it is off the main forget about We won't get into the dynamics enough from at home. But the Buster Posy's goal is not to get to five hundred. Buster Pos's goal is to make the postseason and to compete for world titles. So to say, the goal is to get back to the status quote. The status quote unfortunately became five hundred, and Buster didn't want that At all, he doesn't want mediocre. Buster wants to be elite, right, So to say these moves are just to get back to five hundred. If they got back to five hundred next year, I don't think people are happy, do you, Derek, I don't. I think we're like, yeah, it's better than last year.
Speaker 1: Happy.
Speaker 3: That's just back to where we were when you took over. That's not what's gonna make anybody happy, and that's not what's gonna make Buster or this organization happen. No, it's progress is turning the pit to that college point. I don't know that that's progress depending on how you get there.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: Well, if you just compare it to what's going on this season and say that Tony Vaitello mates tries as a manager, then yes it is progress. But in the grand scheme of things, what we've seen for the last five or six years, No, it's still disappointing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think the goal is five hundred. But I hear what he said, the goal. He made these moves, and I'm like, I think they underachieved this year.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Once you say, even with the roster they had.
Speaker 1: I think that was an underachievement, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like even like I just even though they didn't add to the bullpen, even though the rotation wasn't where we hoped it would be, I can't help but feel like this team underperformed even what we thought they were capable of, which means I still have got some hope for next year. And I think people will have lower expectations next year because of what happened this season. But I do not think that you should be in the mindset that Buster Posey's trying to get back to five hundred, Buster Posey's trying to make the playoffs. The goal is not next year, all right, well, let's just get back to where we were two years ago. That's that's not a way to come about building a winning team.
Speaker 2: No, he's not trying to do that.
Speaker 6: That may be the case, but no, his end goal is to get this team back in the memory making business to win World Series.
Speaker 2: That's what he wants to do. This may take longer than anticipated.
Speaker 3: Eight away came to our four one, five, five to sixty seven. We got to take a quick break another one, Danny, is anybody still on the liner, come and get into some some sound from uh from around the sports world.
Speaker 1: Now we're okay with Danny. We can do niners. We'll get to niners. We doing niners. We're getting into Michael McDonald.
Speaker 6: I'd say, let's let's let's save Mike McDonald's. Let's let's get to this Joe Lake up in. Dun't leavey Sudi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this McDonald sounds better.
Speaker 3: Live up to it, all right, as much as five and teas in it. Dude, let's get into this because I think this is a big story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You got Mike Dunleavy yesterday saying, hey, you know, if Steph Curry, if some team called for a trade, we would ask Steph about it because he's earned that right. And I'm like, yo, yo, yo, why are you talking about trading Steph? After you're like, hey, by the way, we took a lot of calls on a lot of players. I cold called a lot of teams. I'm trying hard.
Speaker 1: I just haven't succeeded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: That's maybe the most frustrating part of this away KMBR is a number to call. Mike dunleyvy taking calls on how he would go about trading Steph Curry. Why is he even talking about this. We'll do it next.
Speaker 1: On The Sports Leader, she got off great ass