Speaker 1: Speaking up in all casts. For those that done the redcast, it's The John Phillip Show, and we continue at two o five in the afternoon on The John Phillip Show, Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, We're broadcasting live on the radio on seven ninety KABC in Southern California and eight ten KSFO in the Bay Area, and we're also broadcasting live on video worldwide. We've got listeners in like South Africa and Australia, New Zealand and Arizona right there at Johnny Don't Like dot Com. That's Johnny with a Y. If you want to watch us do this show live every single day from noon to three. Johnny Don't Like dot Com takes you right to the YouTube channel. You can hit the like button and help push us to more new people. You can comment in the chatroom is what we're doing. You can hit subscribe, hit the bell, and of course check out all of our on demand content. When we sign off for three, there's tons of free entertainment for you at Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. She is a fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a contributing editor to City Journal, and author of many best selling books, most recently when Race Trump's Merit available online at Amazon dot com. Heather MacDonald welcome.
Speaker 3: Thank you John so much.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 1: So we have a big mayoral election going on in Los Angeles where we have I guess, two different brands of the same flavor of ice cream. Where we have Karen Bass, the incumbent mayor, who wants another four years, and then we have a DSA member of the City Council, Nitia Rahman, who was chair of the homeless committee, who now wants a promotion and she wants to be mayor of Los Angeles. What was interesting to me is we just had new homeless numbers that came out that showed that the number of people living on the streets in Los Angeles went up despite the fact that we are spending a record amount of money on homeless services. What we are doing is not working. I should add it wasn't just Los Angeles. We saw the same thing happen in Long Beach. While other parts of the country are experiencing a decline in people living on the streets, big cities here in California are going in the opposite direction. What was interesting to me was the reaction to these numbers, because no one, whether it be Bass or Ramen or anyone on the council that I can think of, looked at these numbers and said, for Heaven's sake, what we're doing is not working. Maybe it's time to try something new. What they did was they looked for ways to assign blame to other people. They blame the federal government for cuts in funds, they blame the state government for cuts in funds, and they said, what we need is more money to spend on the programs that we're spending on money now. This is a housing problem first, and we need to double down, triple down, and quadruple down on what we're doing right now. And I thought to myself, Okay, well that's hopeless your thoughts.
Speaker 3: It sure does look hopeless, John. I mean, we have the best opportunity in years to end this charade, this farce, this absolutely dangerous public condition. In the primary, and voters in LA show that they're simply not willing to speak the truth to blame. Put the blame where it belongs for the homeless, the vagrancy problem, which is squarely on public officials. This is not some naturally occurring phenomenon or the result of bad economy lack of funding that the poor government officials are simply trying desperately to solve with more money. It is the result of public officials decision to allow street vagrancy, to not keep the streets clean for the people who are paying taxes, who are contributing to the city, and instead, government officials place all of their attention, all of their funding on the most dysfunctional, dangerous, anti social members of society. It is a complete application of government responsibility. But the narrative is that vagrancy, street vagrancy, street drug addiction, street mental illness is a result of inequality, racism, poverty, the usual housing lack, which is the biggest fiction that was ever generated by any kind of poverty industrial complex, and it was wildly successful. And so the solution is to throw more good money after bad. We just haven't been spending money enough, and that's a lie. But it seems like voters are simply not fed up enough with seeing Los Angeles change its character in such tragic, radical ways from what we who grew up in Los Angeles took for granted decades ago.
Speaker 1: This attitude that it's a housing problem and not a drug problem and a mental illness problem. Do you think there's so wed to that because so many of their contributors are developers who profit from housing that is subsidized by the government, or do you think they honestly buy into it, because if they buy into that, then it's clearly not their permissive attitude about drugs that's causing this. It's clearly not their permissive attitude about retail theft that's contributing to this. It's clearly not their attitude about shutting down the prisons that's contributing to this. It's just a housing issue, and we need to build more well.
Speaker 3: I think it's both a financial self interest, because yes, there are huge lobbies interests that are have enormous profits on the line with this phony narrative about it's the lack of affordable housing. I think it's also an ideological interest where I think for the advocates and for many of these left wing politicians, having vagrants on the streets is visual proof that America is a heartless society. Capitalism doesn't work, that the free market in housing doesn't work, that we need government housing, that we need more transfer of wealth from the hard working to the non working. And so, you know, I think there's an investment politically in the status quo. But you know, let me just reinforce what you're saying, John, anytime there's a brief whiff of honesty in the mainstream media, occasionally you get Soto Voce reporting on the shelter resistance phenomenon, which I have witnessed numerous times. I've done reporting on the ground in skid row, in the tenderloin in San Francisco, you know, you name it, in Santa Anna Civic Center, and I've witnessed the vagrants be offered housing and services by these feckless outreach workers who, again, they have a stake in keeping the status quo as bad as possible. You can offer the vagrants all the housing you want, and they're going to turn it down because they would rather be on the streets where they have easy access to drugs, easy access to food. You know, I remember there's been programs that delivered pizza to people's cardboard boxes in North Face tents on skid Row, and I've talked to people that have told me skid Row is known across the country as a party scene. People come from as far away as Iowa to just be able to hang out, do drugs, sex, traffic, and get away with in some cases, literally bloody murder.
Speaker 1: Popular culture glorifies the use of drugs, whether it is marijuana, whether it is some of the harder drugs. You go in any comedy club in America, and the quickest way to get a laugh is to do jokes about weed, to do jokes about marijuana, to do jokes about being high, whatever the case may be. And if you were someone that doesn't embrace that, if you're someone who doesn't think that that's cute, if you're someone who doesn't think that that's good for society, you kind of you're like the dad and bye by Bertie. You know, you're looked at as one of these stodgy people who just can't get with the times.
Speaker 4: You're from a different era.
Speaker 1: And I think that there are so many politicians who can intellectually connect the dots that a permissive attitude about drugs has been bad for homelessness and bad for the culture. But they are so afraid at the blowback and of looking like a relic from a previous generation that they will not publicly acknowledge that. But the permissive attitude about drugs to me was original sin when it comes to homelessness, because that's when the domino started falling.
Speaker 3: Absolutely they the vagrant population has two overwhelming characteristics, mental illness and chemical addiction. The sort of medical industry refers to this population as the MICA population mentally ill chemical abusers, and you can see them on the streets of San Francisco, these scarecrow white atticts that were absolutely destroyed in the sixties and now here they are living off the public dime, stealing, destroying any hope for urban renewal. I don't know quite though, why you think, John, that people politicians know the truth and yet are simply too cowardly to act upon it. I'm not sure. I think they may still believe that this is somehow a right and was a release from bourgeois norms. But all this did begin in the nineteen sixties with the elevation of youth culture and the abdication of adult responsibility. That said used to say, if you want to succeed in life, you need to embrace certain bourgeois norms above all abstinence or at least temperance, self you know, deferred gratification, self discipline, working hard. And the sixties, with the flower power and the tune in and drop out, we were such a wealthy generation, more wealthy than any time in human history, that parents were able to subsidize their teenagers to go to Woodstock to you know, dance as flower children. And somehow a good portion of those kids were able to somehow get on their two feet. The very poor that also had no more moral support in the culture at large to be you know, abstinent, temperate, uh and and and self disciplining. They're the ones that had a very hard time keeping up and surviving in this new celebration of Bacchanali and Dionysian self destructive behavior. And and a lot of these people are on the streets. I mean, frankly, let's be honest, the vagrant population has a strong racial divide.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: You've got the white hate Ashbury vagrants that are you know, overwhelmingly stealing from Starbucks, and Whole Foods in in uh in San Francisco. And then you've got the even more dystopian situation of skid row in Los Angeles, which is almost exclusively black, different drug of choice, uh uh, and and that has even more more cause than the white, washed up hippie addics.
Speaker 1: If a county sheriff or a police chief were to come to you for advice and say, Heather, it is illegal to have drug paraphernalia. That is something that is a violation of the law, and if we find it on you, in theory, you're breaking the law and we can take you in for.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 1: We have county public health departments that are passing out drug paraphernalia on a daily basis as part of their harm reduction idiotic idea that they all buy into, and they are taking items that are illegal, and they are giving them to people who they know are struggling with addiction, and they're giving.
Speaker 4: Them the tools that they need to kill themselves with.
Speaker 1: What should I do about these county public health departments that are technically doing something illegal in my jurisdiction.
Speaker 3: That is a great question, and I just want to put in as an aside that harm reduction is almost as brilliant as Madison Avenue rebranding as homelessness uh because of course it's not reducing harm, it is perpetuating harm. The only, the only possible hope for people and and and Louisiana has has insticated this, but these have been around for a long time is homeless courts uh and and Louisiana is using a block grant from the Trump administration that is finally moving federal funding away from the housing first charade and and and travesty towards no your city, Your city obligation if you want federal funding is to enforce laws against public camping, against public drug use, uh and and get people off the streets, that is number one priority, off the streets into treatment, ideally as far away from urban centers as possible. But the homeless court idea is that you say, okay, you've you've violated the law by camping in public or or drug use. You have you have a criminal conviction hanging over you. But if you enroll in treatment for a year, we're going to give you treatment. We're going to give you services, we're going to give you job training, we're going to give you housing access. If you stay in our program for a year, we will wipe off your criminal record and you can go about your ways with with with you know, no no uh, serious consequences. That's the way to get people clean. Giving them more paraphernalia. Literally, it literally guarantees that they're never going to get clean and that they will stay on the streets and the cycle will just continue, to the enormous benefit of these anti order nonprofits and the for profit providers that are taking luxury housing, creating eighty thousand dollars a million dollar units with taxpayer funding to allow addicts to have a crash pad every so often.
Speaker 1: Let's shift gears here for a second and talk about the street takeovers, because we cover these on a regular basis here. They happen in southern California. They happen in northern California. Vallejo is a community that has experienced a lot of these. When people hear street takeovers, they think about the movie Fast and Furious, They think about donuts, They think about teenagers having a good time. What they don't know is that frequently pedestrians get hit.
Speaker 4: Frequently, after the street.
Speaker 1: Takeover is completed, they go loot an auto zone, or they go loot a liquor store or some strip mall gets obliterated by the crowd that's there. They overwhelm the cops, So the cops frequently don't even show up until the street takeover is over, because there's no point. If you have two black and white show up and you have five hundred people there, there's not much the cops can do. The cops just write a report after it's over, and many times zero arrests are made. There are some cities in the Central Valley, however, that are getting very aggressive at impounding cars that are found at the scene of these takeovers, and oh boy, is that working. What do you make of what they're doing right now in the Central Valley compared to Los Angeles in the Bay Area, it should.
Speaker 3: Be zero tolerance. This is simply I'm not even going to give them any credit and say, oh, well, people think this is just fun teams doing donuts. It was never fun. It was never okay. You cannot colonize public streets unless, of course, your Black Lives Matter activists or your vagrant encampment, or you're engaged in this extraordinarily reckless behavior that that you know what if you're an emergency service worker, you're an ambulance or a fire truck having to get through an intersection and there they are careening around in circles. It's it's absolutely unacceptable, and yes, the solution has to be declaring an emergency, emergency curfew and emergency impoundment. This is going on in Florida as well. There's a very tough sheriff, Mike Chitwood at Valusia County that has sent out the same message there there has to be zero tolerance for this. But you know, we saw as soon as the sixth Avenue Bridge in La opened up, everybody was glorying and it's it's it's uh, you know, wonderful bridge and different communities of Los Angeles. Not only was it immediately graffiti written, but it also became the site of more these takeovers. So there is nothing fun about, or should be nothing that the public regards as fun and acceptable about this assault on public order, on the thoroughfares, the ability of law abiding people to use cities for what they are for, which is getting around, being able to get to work safely without fear, being able to take your children to school safely, and without fear, without having to witness people shooting up drugs, masturbating in public, defecating and urinating in public. We have simply given up the ghost in Los Angeles on maintaining a civilized society.
Speaker 1: Heather MacDonald, author of the book When Race Trump's Merit, available online at Amazon dot com or wherever you buy your books. Heather, thanks so much for stopping by. Great to see you on video.
Speaker 3: Great talking with you, John.
Speaker 4: Thank you all right.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to watch us live, participate in the chat and click that like button, Randy, you can do that at Johnny don't like dot Com?
Speaker 2: That's Johnny. Don't like dot Com Johnny with a why. That takes you right to our YouTube channel. Hit subscribe, hit the like button, hit the bell, play around in the chat room. We're here until three o'clock, and then when we sign off the air, make sure you check out our Accountability podcast with a brand new episode premiering tomorrow at three. But before we get to that, make sure you'll watch that episode with Steve Hilton, because we want to get that one into the stratosphere.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at Gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at Gmail dot com and Randy, how we doing on the likes over at Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 2: We are already over three hundred and four today's show. Thank y'all so much for helping us get there. We're at three hundred and ten and we still got twenty five minutes to go. Yesterday at the end of the show, we hit three hundred and thirty six, so let's see if we can break that record. Hit that like button. If you're not watching us, you're only listening right now. When you get a chance to do so, check out the website Johnny Don't Like dot Com. Stop buy for a little bit and hit that thumbs up.
Speaker 1: And if you're looking for additional content after we sign off at three, definitely check out the Accountability podcast that's also at Johnny Don't Like dot Com because we had a great interview with Steve Hilton that's up right now and it's doing really well.
Speaker 2: It's up at over seven thousand views. And the more views and likes and comments against the more people push that out there on YouTube, the more people might find the message and learn a little more about Steve Hilton. One way that you can help is give it a watch after the show and leave a message in the comments, maybe something like Javier Besera is a chicken, because Javierbsera is a chicken and refuses to agree to any debates.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two to two two two. In their infinite wisdom, the geniuses in Sacramento think it might be a good idea to completely overhaul the way we deal with security guards right before the Olympics come to town.
Speaker 2: We're talking about doing the same thing to security guards that we did to fast food workers. A blanket minimum wage and a blanket training standard and all kinds of other things that might make it very difficult to hire security guards for certain businesses. What does all this mean, Let's find out. Here's a report from k A three and Ashley Zavalla, a.
Speaker 6: Live look over the state capitol right now, where California lawmakers face another key deadline this Thursday to move forward with new proposed laws. One of the proposals close to the finish line is one that attempts to set new training requirements for private security guards and increase their minimum wage three plas.
Speaker 2: This is what we do now, and they've realized that just trying to blanket increase the minimum wage outside of what we have that goes up every year with inflation, but like trying to do twenty five thirty, what have you, there isn't an appetite for that. So what we do is we get the unions to get the legislature to pass these very specific minimum wages.
Speaker 7: We see this at the state level.
Speaker 2: We've also seen this at the city level, where the City of Los Angeles, although they're trying to walk it back, now authorized a thirty dollars hour an hour minimum wage by twenty twenty eight to four tourism workers. So if you work at the hotel at a Hilton, you make thirty dollars an hour. If you work at the restaurant right next to the Hilton, you make minimum wage, because that makes sense.
Speaker 1: You know, when you're dealing with security guards, I would imagine that depending on the venue, the job description can be very different. If you're a security guard at a bar, or you're a security guard at a nightclub or at a strip club, my guess is you might have to get involved in a wrestling match every now and then. However, if you're the security guard at a museum, or you're the security guard at I don't know, a baseball stadium, my guess is what you're doing is crowd control. You're just trying to get people to stay on the main thoroughfares, go this way, go that way, whatever.
Speaker 4: You don't need to know how to use a weapon.
Speaker 2: Well, how many of those people when you go to a big venue like a concert or a stadium, that are in like those yellow shirts. How many of those jobs are classified as security? So how many people would this actually affect? It might be a whole lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 2: And of course we have to include in the category because it's what I made the picture for this. Mall cops on segues they count to I don't know why, but the AI Google Gemini made me much fatter than I usually am.
Speaker 7: When I said make me.
Speaker 2: Look like a mall cop, I let it slide, but I was like, oh wow, that's what I used to look like.
Speaker 8: Prizabollo explains the warning from private security and how the bill's supporters are responding.
Speaker 9: We're talking about Senate Bill twelve. Oh, three, which is being pushed by SCIU California.
Speaker 2: That's true, where the SEIUS just got their hands into everything, same.
Speaker 9: Group that sponsored the bill that ended up brazing California's fast food minimum wage to twenty dollars an hour. The private security industry says the cost of security in California could become unaffordable if state leaders approve this. This latest proposal related to security guards would specifically first prohibit private patrol operators from providing de escalation training and instead put that responsibility into the hands of an organization that has yet to be determined.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's an organization represented by the SEIU.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure, and I'm sure they're politically connected, and I'm sure it's going to be very woke.
Speaker 2: This is how California politics works. It's honestly the main issue outside of just the how you're going to do it. But one of the big issues with the billionaires tax is that whether you're playing around with the legislature or you're getting something on the ballot, this incredibly powerful union can get legislation passed that specifically benefits them, and they do it all the time.
Speaker 9: The security guard agencies would be responsible for paying for this starting in twenty twenty eight. It would also require all security guards to annually complete a minimum of eight hours of this training.
Speaker 7: Do ambassadors kunt of security guards?
Speaker 1: You know that's going to be like the online sexual harassment training where you just have to watch the videos and take the quizzes.
Speaker 7: They're getting smarter at those.
Speaker 2: They know when you're not actively looking at the window, you got caught last time.
Speaker 9: It also attempts to resurrect the now defunct California Industrial Welfare Commission in twenty twenty seven. They would specifically be responsible for increasing the minimum wage of security guards.
Speaker 2: So we would have an unelected bureaucracy that would increase these wages for this very specific kind of job without any kind of vote.
Speaker 7: That sounds like the SEIU.
Speaker 1: Well, we have that with the Fast Food Council. I guess that's the model.
Speaker 2: Although apparently that council has disbanded because they haven't met in like two years.
Speaker 4: Too much Heartburn.
Speaker 9: Spoke with the leader of the California Association of Licensed Security Agencies, Guards and Associates, who said, this is a solution to a problem. The state does not have.
Speaker 7: To put it in a perspective.
Speaker 9: How many businesses could especially be impacted by this.
Speaker 10: Well, I believe over ninety percent of businesses or small businesses that have security. Grocery stores, of pharmacies, schools, hospitals, buildings, transportation, everywhere you turn those security now and it's going to have a big impact.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now you actually have to wonder how many security guard jobs are in the state of California, how many security guard jobs in California, because it sounds like a whole lot.
Speaker 1: I was just at the outlet mall in Cabazon, and at that mall, they have a lot of high end stores that sell things like women's purses, and each one of those stores that sells high end women's purses will only allow like five people in at a time, and then they keep a line outside and they have more security then. I don't know, the Queen's Crown Jewels. It's just security guard, security guard, security guard, everywhere you turn.
Speaker 4: How often do they get robbed?
Speaker 7: Well, there's two things going on there.
Speaker 2: One, if they do get robbed, it's a massive thing, like what happened at you know, many years ago in San Francisco with the Louis Vauton. But Also, having that massive line of people waiting outside to get in attracts more people to be like, well, what's going on with this line?
Speaker 1: It was all old Asian ladies who were having heat stroke.
Speaker 2: California, according to Gemini, applies employees over one hundred and eighty three thousand security guards. This would affect a lot of small businesses.
Speaker 10: I mean, currently we don't have enough law enforcement officers in California to do the job that they want to do.
Speaker 5: All.
Speaker 10: This bill is supposed to implement two weeks before the Olympics takes place in Los Angeles, which is going to be genested.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask you about that. In July first of twenty twenty eight is when this would take effect.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course it would, because we're going to need a whole lot of security guards for that.
Speaker 1: Boy, it's like they try to find out what would be the worst possible timing.
Speaker 6: What impact would it have specifically on the Olympics.
Speaker 10: Well, we'd have to train three hundred and sixty thousand guars in two weeks. I'm not sure who's going to do that or how they're going to be able to do that.
Speaker 9: Now we've been working on this story for a week. SCIU California in that timeframe would not make anyone available for an interview with me on this bill.
Speaker 7: What the hell is that about?
Speaker 1: Because they don't have the answers to any of these questions. They don't know what they're going to how they're going to make this happen.
Speaker 2: The public unions in this state and the SEIU represents public workers and private workers, but they have so much influence in this state. We should not have a system where they can lobby for things that specifically just benefit them, because we've seen what the result.
Speaker 7: Is with that.
Speaker 9: CiU California's David Whatta gave us this statement in part. He said, every day security officers face split second decisions that can change lives, yet current law requires only eight hours of initial training before sending them into high stakes situations. This, paired with low wages that lead to higher turnover, has undermined officers readiness for the grave responsibility of protecting the public. He went on to say SB twelve O three and.
Speaker 7: Then imagine whatever.
Speaker 2: Let's say they make the minimum wage twenty five dollars an hour, and right now hospital workers are getting twenty five dollars an hour like, wait a second, they're getting twenty five dollars an hour just to be the security guard.
Speaker 7: What the hell, where's my thirty dollars an hour?
Speaker 2: And then you have all these different industries screaming at the legislature, where's my raise?
Speaker 1: And by the way, this is also in an industry. This is an industry that is based on graft. Because if you're a security guard and you're sitting in the front of a bar and you decide who gets in and who doesn't, guess what a guy with a fifty dollars bill doesn't have to wait in line, and guess what a guy with one hundred dollars bill is going to get you to look the other way if you're with someone whose id doesn't look totally legit. If all of a sudden, you're going to make these people operate by the book and you're going to institute all of these rules, you're going to kill their ability to make money.
Speaker 9: Urgently modernizes state law by establishing standards for training, wages, and working conditions, including de escalation training that could save lives. He continued, Private security is a thirty four billion dollar industry, and here in California, the workforce faces a staggering ninety one percent annual turnover rate.
Speaker 2: Is that because of high wages or is that security guards that get caught stealing.
Speaker 9: End quote. Now, the bill is part of the suspense hearing that's happening in the Assembly Appropriations Committee this upcoming Thursday. That's when bills basically pass or die without discussion. Wlilemakers have until the end of this month to pass new laws for the year back to you.
Speaker 7: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Another industry might be getting their own carve out minimum wage, and this one, of course backed by the SEIU.
Speaker 1: If you want to watch us live, go to Johnny dootl like dot com and click that like button. When you're there, it's the big thumbs up. It really helps push the show far and wide.
Speaker 2: And we just got to more likes than yesterday's show. Yesterday had three hundred and thirty six. Today we have three hundred and thirty seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Every politician in the state of California runs on the subject of affordability. They claim that it's too expensive to live here and they're going to do everything they can to make it less expensive. Yet, Randy, it seems that all they seem to do is spend their time making things more expensive in California. For California homeowners, the.
Speaker 2: San Francisco bard Is Supervisors a few years ago passed a new mandate to the fire code that condos in buildings that were built before I think the seventies that were at least twelve stories tall, had to have sprinkler systems in all the units. And that mandate might cost condo owners hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 7: Great For more, here's NBC in the Bay.
Speaker 11: I'm Audrey Cistia and I'm Roj Mathi.
Speaker 8: A sprinkler mandate coming to San Francisco is going to be costly for a lot of people. According to a new analysis from the city, upgrades for some homes could range from fifteen thousand bucks to nearly a quarter of a million.
Speaker 1: Holy cow, imagine two hundred and fifty thousand dollars just to be compliant with some government regulations.
Speaker 11: A lot of condo owners are complaining that this mandate is too expensive. The new analysis will be part of an Advisory council review of how this mandate may actually be carried out. Here's Nbcbay Area Serrio Kintana.
Speaker 12: At the Heights condominium building in this corm you got.
Speaker 2: To add bad times all the units. Wouldn't it be cheaper to tear down the whole building and start from scratch?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 12: These Pacific Heights neighborhood. Steven Stiller showed us the sprinkler systems at.
Speaker 7: All Ocivic Heights that is a ritzy part of town.
Speaker 12: Already exist in the building's too, external fire escapes and inside the building's halls.
Speaker 7: But these sprinkler.
Speaker 12: Systems are not enough to satisfy the city's sprinkler mandate.
Speaker 5: And that's why you can't have a blanket law that covers every building indiscriminately.
Speaker 7: This has to be tailored the height.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would ever be brave enough to wear leopard glasses.
Speaker 1: What I think of leopard glasses I think of Paul Schaeffer from the CBS Orchestra.
Speaker 12: Is one of one hundred and twenty six buildings in the city that falls under the requirements of a San Francisco Bord of Supervisors approved update to the city's fired Code in twenty twenty two. It mandates all buildings built before the nineteen seventies that are more than about twelve stories high must inspace.
Speaker 7: I did get all that right, see, I retain information.
Speaker 12: Well, sprinklers in every living unit that comes to about nine thousand residences. People who live in those buildings say many of them don't have enough space in the walls or have ceilings that are too low to install the pipes for these sprinkler systems.
Speaker 2: So when they made this regulation and made these changes to the fire code, they didn't actually find out if this was feasible in some of the buildings that they were trying to put this onto.
Speaker 4: This is like going to.
Speaker 1: The Great Pyramids in Egypt and going this isn't eighty eight compliant, and.
Speaker 12: They don't have space or enough power for the pumping machinery needed to support these systems. What's more, this is the latest expensive mandate the city has issued.
Speaker 5: The earthquake, what's it called the falling hazards. Yeah, and we spent several million dollars accommodating that. We went through the annunciator mandate, which was the replacement of the fire horns, again an enormous expense, and now the city is slapping another thing.
Speaker 2: This is just unaffordable, right, you know what these hoa people are right. The city's acting like an hoa.
Speaker 12: Now, the deadline forgetting all the permits to start any construction on the fire sprinkler mandates has been delayed for five years. In the meantime, a Technical Advisory Council made up of members of the Board of Supervisors, residents, the Fire Department, and builders will convene next month. That committee will decide how to implement this mandate. Asha Safais, a spokesperson for the San Francisco Building and Construction Trades Council.
Speaker 13: We're going to approach each building on an individual basis and we're going to come up with a real path for public safety. There will be some buildings based on a hardship, based on the city's infrastructure, based on water that might get an exemption.
Speaker 7: Some of the biggest thing and what do we need the blanket mandate for?
Speaker 1: This is why what they do is so stupid, Because if you have a blanket mandate and then you have carve outs, what you create is you create a perfect storm for people to be paid off if you don't want to follow the city rule, because the city rule makes it so unaffordable that you can't stay living there or you can't comply even if you wanted to, then it becomes cheaper to bribe the inspector, and the inspector goes, oh okay, well yeah, we can go ahead and give you an exemption. You don't need to follow this rule here.
Speaker 12: Critics of this mandate have been raised by residents in Supervisor Steven Cheryl's district. He's on the technical committee that'll be convening next month in San Francisco, said Hukindana.
Speaker 7: And BC they are you News, So there you go.
Speaker 2: Lots of condo owners in Pacific Heights worried about this sprinkler mandate that could cost them between tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars per unit to comply.
Speaker 1: In a city that is already one of the most expensive cities in the country to live in. Instead of trying to make it more affordable, the city government is doing everything they can to push these people out.