Speaker 1: There's no question we've got the best in the boot. That's why we all mimic his call timer Murfin Marcus.
Speaker 2: Catch up with Kite on knd R one oh four five Am. And Kype.
Speaker 1: We've joked so many Tuesdays through the year about you gotta come on after a win, you gotta come out after a win. You got and we got one Giants five red zero with a wild lineup, Kype. So, good morning, Hey morning Pipe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good morning. I uh so I'm driving to the park and uh, you know, look, I did not make the trip to Cleveland or Boston, so I'm I can't wait to get to the park. It's sitting next to Mic for another month and a half, and you know, and every once in a while the pops in my head that, oh yeah, there's a Monday night game. I have the show tomorrow. And then I looked at the lineup and I thought, you know, this is really funny, nice, nice try, right, and uh and what do they do? They play a perfect game? Uh, you know when we fill out our scorecards before the game. And now, I mean, we've done it together for the last thirty five years, and it gives us a chance to talk and you know, write some numbers down. So we always write down the average home runs and RBIs and I started to look, and I looked at the Reds from their cleanipitter down at Stevenson swore as McLean the day, Travino Johnson, they had sixty five combined home runs. And then I looked at the Giants. Now Trent Hill is your cleanupitter, followed by Kavanaugh, Furman, Whitcomb, McCrae, couse. They had three. So here we go, sixty five big flies to three. And what do they do? They play a perfect game. And the one thing that you know, Mike and I realize throughout the course of a game that you have to be really careful that you don't I want to use the word make fun, but that you don't make fun of this lineup, because then you're taking credit away from the guys that finally got to the big leagues like these young players did and started last night. I mean, look, when choey Otani gets up in the morning, he looks in the mirror, he can say, look, I'm a big leaguer, and so can Nate Furman. And I think that's important to realize that these guys did something, and maybe more than something, a lot to get to where they're at and deserve to be in that lineup. Now, it takes injuries and trades and you know, other things sometimes to give a guy a chance, but you have to take advantage of that chance and be prepared, and these guys have done that. So I mean, look after that game last night, I mean, I'm looking forward to this game as much as if all the regulars were healthy and in the lineup. I mean, I want to see these guys run around. And the other thing I thought of is is this is the perfect lineup for my radio partner on Tuesday mornings, mister Murphy, because this is what he's been crying about for years. Play the young guys, play him. And there you have it in that game last night.
Speaker 1: Well, that is true to a degree, for sure. I'm thinking a little bit more Joe swar Gonzalez, you know. But hey, listen, you're right, all these guys are. And that actually leads to the question Dwayne that Marcus and I were kicking around right before you came on, is how many of these guys do you think are a legit part of the story In twenty twenty seven. Now, we all assume there's gonna be a twenty twenty seven, but you know, and we identified two. We identified Gilbert, and I believe it or not, I extended an olive branch to Ryan Walker with his pants down now, and you know this, But there may be others take those two and others that you think can be really a part of the story in twenty twenty seven that we saw last night.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he'll can be. I mean, I mean, if you want to put a label on him and say, well, you know what is good at ball contact as he makes and as good as he is at all three optials positions, you know, he could be your perfect fourth or fifth outfielder. But don't get me wrong, I mean he may actually play into some people's minds that he could play every day. So I think, I mean, I really think that he's got a shot. And I know that the catcher does for sure, you know, And I don't know if he'll ever be a guy that's going to catch one hundred and thirty games, but he certainly could be a guy that could catch fifty or sixty and do very very well. I mean, he's he showed signs of being a good receiver and that he's act and plus he's a left handed hitter. Every organization looks for catching, that's that's where their hitter is left handed. I think of all this group, the guy that's probably got the most overall talent is the kid in right field, Grant McCrae. But we've said this before about him, is he just needs to make a little bit more contact. I mean, gosh, he's a fabulous defender, and he's got a great arm, and he can run, and he's a left handed hitter. So you have to be really careful that you don't give up on these guys too soon and then all the sudden you find them in another organization and you go what we had him? And I don't want Grant McCray to be one of those guys where he goes off to the Washington Nationals and now he's their starting center fielder. I think you have to give some of these guys a long rope before you know, you start to offer them to other teams. I think Christian Koss is always going to be a guy that you think about being on the roster because of his ability to play short and he's a grinder, So I mean, I don't know that much about Whitcomb. I do know that when we started looking into his past that you know, he's played in the big leagues. He's got a couple of home runs. It just doesn't look like he's taken advantage of the seventeen games maybe that he's played in. So I'm sure I've missed a few, but I think you might be surprised that the number of people. And I agree with you with Walker. I think Walker figured it out. And Mike actually said that before I did. When you saw him pitch in a triple A game this past week, he said, Jesus didn't look like the same guy even I mean, even forget about the haircut. So yeah, I mean you might be surprised at the number of people that are on this that was in the lineup last night, that could dot at some point the roster next year, given the fact that we're all hoping there is next year.
Speaker 3: Kai, what do you think the mentality or the approach is for some of these guys that are trying to make their name at the big league level. Because you can look at it through the lens of oh, there's additional pressure. They're fighting for their jobs, they're trying to stay at the big league level. Or you could look at it, hey, maybe this is a weight off their shoulder. There's not a lot of pressure to win right now, is it? Maybe give them more of a care free attitude and approach at the plate.
Speaker 2: You better even have a care free attitude at all, you know, and then care free. I get it. You're not saying that these guys aren't taking it serious. But you do have to play like this is the last game you're going to play in, and you have to play like your hair's on fire, you really do. And because everybody's watching, not just mom and dad and brothers and sisters and girlfriends and wives. Everybody's watching, and everybody's going to have their own opinion. And one part of the opinion you want people to have is this guy busts his tail wherever he goes. And that's why you have to take I mean, these guys that were in the lineup last night, you may not have heard many of them, but it's up to them that after the game you might remember their name so that you can cheer for him tomorrow. And that's what some of these guys did last night.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Turner Hill. I was in the car during the third ending when Dave Fleming was he was kind of making a case for the guy. He was like, I you know, it's on even thirteen at bats, all these asterisks, and he's a little older. But he said, you know, merrit Buster Posty says, it's a meritocracy. This guy hid his way into the big They said. He likes his approach. He had a double off the wall last night Andrew walk He said he takes good angles in the outfield, runs the base as well. And you know, most fans roll their eyes. They want shohe O Tani, they want Kyle Schwarber. They don't want Turner Hill. But I mean Giants put him down fourth in the lineup last night. And is he a guy who's got a chance to make a name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does. And I think you look at some of the successful teams. You know, the Brewers are an example. I mean they're running out people I've never heard of, and and I'm doing a great job, and now they have the best record in baseball. At times, the Dbecs run out people that I've never heard of, and they contribute and then the next year, they're more than just a contributor. They're in the lineup all the time. And I think he's one of those kind of guys. I mean, he's got think about this. He's got two months, the past two weeks he's been here, and now what's coming up. I think there's thirty one games left. He's got thirty one games to already make a way better impression than what he already has for those thirty one games, and you have to take advantage of it. I mean, there are second chances in this game, but that first impression is so important, and I think he's made a really good first impression. So I like him. I like to see him in the lineup, and I like his bats, although I don't think he's a cleanupitter.
Speaker 1: No, probably not Kip.
Speaker 3: Last night we saw Devers go deep for his twenty seventh homer in the season. He went deep out in Boston, and I know you weren't at Fenway Park, but there was a lot of reaction towards Rafael Devers, and there was some criticism when he left the city of Boston that maybe he's not the biggest leader in the clubhouse. But then there was a report yesterday that, without Willie Domas and obviously without Matt Chapman and some of the leaders, that Raphael Devers actually spoke to a lot of the team at the batting cages before yesterday's game, just your reaction to everything that happened in Boston his past weekend, but also maybe Rafael Devers now stepping up here in San Francisco in the leadership role.
Speaker 2: Well, every day the Guyans have a hitters meeting and all the hitters are there and the hitting coaches and they go over a lot of things. And I was told by a couple of different people that Rapie Devers stood up. I mean, remember Chapman's not there. I mean Willia Domas might have been there, but your voice, definitely, you know, is a little bit tuned out when you're on the il, and you know, Rafie doesn't say a lot, and we don't know how well he speaks English because he just doesn't do enough interviews for us to know. And the report is that he got up and he specifically talked to all the young guys about this is your chance and you need to do whatever you can to take advantage of it. And also by the way along the way while you're doing this, you have to have fun. Smile every once in a while, have some fun because and he may have said this, probably not, because when you smile on the field, people know it and they notice it and they realize that, yeah, you know, this guy's having fun and he's pretty good. So good for Raffie to stand up and say something. And I mean, look, he's he had to wear three days in Boston, where you know, Boston fans are not going to say, guy, what a great guy he is. They're just not. He's not one of theirs anymore. You know, forget about the fact that he helped lead them to a World Series. They're just not. I mean, that's not what they do in Boston. So here he's wearing it for three days in Boston, and he comes back and he stands up in the meeting and he's talking to these young players. Good for him, and to me, that shows that, yeah, there is a sign that there's leadership in this guy. And he just let it out yesterday and then he's a three run home run. And there's nothing better than backing it up when you do that. I tried it all those years and it only worked once, and I know what it feels like, because you feel like, not only did you make a point in the meeting, but then you made even a bigger point after the meeting.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's been here a year and two months now, maybe just getting more and more settled. Maybe the Boston weekend changed something in him a little bit. Like I don't know about Kype Boston fans. You said, yeah, they're just not gonna you play there. You played at Yankee Old Yankee Stadium too. You also then went to the nationally and you went to Philly. So who where did where was the rag? The most?
Speaker 2: Like? Who?
Speaker 1: What fans are you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Man, these guys, these guys are just these guys are animals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably Yankee fans. I mean yeah, I mean they knew, they knew all about your family. I mean this is before the internet, but they did all their homework about being about your mom and dad and everybody else. I actually thought about going in the stands one time. Uh what true? Was really a bad idea? I mean, Okay, this is skinny, this skinny little turd going into the stands. Are you kidding me? So? Uh, you don't think about the Boston fans is they're like, they're like sarcastic, tough, you know, and they got that accent. Look, I married one, so I heard that act twice a week, and you know, and there's always a moderate cuss word involved too. And you know what I Look, my wife, Michelle, had four brothers, and and every one of those brothers was exactly like all those those fans sitting in the stands. When they got bored, they look for a fight, you know, stuff like that. But you know what, they were fun. They were all a lot of fun. And I think probably that's what you could say about Red Sox fans. Look, I didn't play enough to not appreciate the fans in Philly. But from what I'm told from you know, our our families that had to deal with the Phillies in twenty ten, they were really mistreated in Philadelphia and then that should never happen. But you know, Philly's Philly so and I'm sure there are probably some forty nine er families that could probably tell you the same thing. Yeah, Philly's tough.
Speaker 1: It is tough. So the one time you thought about going up was that at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 2: That was it? Yeah, Yankee stature is yeah, I mean the oddex circle. I mean, when you're getting loose, you could take five steps in you by the front row. So if they have fans that lean over and they want to get in your grill, you know they're not that far away from you. I mean you just gotta ignore them. But on that particular day, I don't know what happened. Maybe I had too much coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his old Yankee Stadium. That's not the new Yankee Stadium for sure, Kype. Last one is are you keeping an eye at all on one of my favorite things? The Little League World Series?
Speaker 2: I don't tarn it.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask, you have granddaughters, you need to get on board with Kinley Rasmus. She's the the star of the summer. She's a gal who wears a bow in her hair and pitches for the Alabama team that won the Southeast Region. And she's nasty. She just tied Money Davis's record for strikeouts by a girl. And she's got a curveball that falls off the table and she hits. And here's the catch. Her family bloodlines are crazy. Her dad was Corey Rasmus, who played in the BIGS. Her uncle was Clint Rasmus, who played in the BIGS. Her other uncle was Kolby Rasmus, who had a fairly significant playing career. Her mom played Division one softball at Southern miss Her cousin is on the team with her Riker, and her grandpa coached the nineteen ninety nine Alabama team that went to the Little League World Series. You gotta check it out because you got granddaughters. You're a girl. Grandpa, Kenlee Rasmus.
Speaker 2: Murf, you know more about this young lady than you do. Jay Whitcomb.
Speaker 1: Well, the Twitter helps. I'm on a graphic they have with a great little arrow of a relatives in her family, you know.
Speaker 2: And now that you brought all that up, and now that you mentioned her, I definitely will. We'll keep an eye on her. I always try to keep track of what's going on with some of the local teams here in California, and then also if there's anything going on in the Midwest, and if that doesn't, you know, if that's not happening, you know, then my brain wanders off to other stuff. But I will keep an eye on it now. Absolutely. I had a cousin, Murph, who lived across the Streeter. It was the first cousin, and she was a year older than I was. And her mom was on the the the League of the Row and the Racine Bells. Yeah, her mom, my aunt Ruth, was one of the players on that team. And ended up that Cindy was the best all around baseball player in our area.
Speaker 1: Cindy, your cousin, hands hands.
Speaker 2: Down first cousin. My dad and her dad are.
Speaker 1: Brothers and both farmers and Cindy Kuiper.
Speaker 2: Cindy Kuiper, they had a big backyard and and she couldn't play.
Speaker 1: Because there's no league or they didn't letter.
Speaker 2: No, we had a league. They let them play. And so okay, so great, she can't play in our little league. Well where can she play? Right? I mean, they don't have leagues for girls. Was this would have been nineteen fifty nine, nineteen sixty and so when I hear about girls that get a chance to play, I don't care in what league and whether they're good or not. It just it just, you know, it warms my heart because here's of course Cindy, who was way more talented than all of us, and she had to watch from the sideline.
Speaker 1: Well, Kelly Rasmus is doing it for her. That's a crazy story. Yeah, she's Unfortunately they play today at noon. They're in the elimination bracket, so one loss and they're done. She can't pitch unfortunately until Saturday, because she threw so many pitches last night, so you don't get to see her hurl. But they got a chance to fight their way to Saturday and see if she can pitch again. She's just fun to watch because she chews gum. She's you know, she wears the ribbon in her hair, and Marcus as my pitching guru. Here the curveball. Oh, it looks just like her dad's. They they so these days on Twitter type they do a thing where they they you can you can mimic two shadow figures against each other. So you're watching her pitch next to her.
Speaker 3: Dad, same mechanics type.
Speaker 1: Just like they did with tug Boat. They did it with Tugboat with him as well.
Speaker 2: They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You know, it's usually father's son, right mother daughter? Well, this is even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's awesome. You got to check her out. And I know you have how many granddaughters too?
Speaker 2: Two seven and five and then the little guy is about to turn a year.
Speaker 1: So, well, did they play any softball at all?
Speaker 2: Or no? Well, I mean of the oldest one she played. You know, they played softball, and it's it's probably the most grueling two hours you're going to spend because you got nine people chasing a ball, right right, right right. Yeah. So I'll tell you one quick story. So I go, I don't the last couple of months ago, and she's on the mound. They actually don't pitch, but they positioned somebody there. Yeah. Right, So she's at that spot and and I'm second inning and I'm walking through the outfield with my lawn chair and you know, coffee and whatever. And she's on the mound and there's the pitch goes and she turns her back on the hitter and she looks at me and she goes, I want to go home.
Speaker 1: Oh no, the love of the game.
Speaker 2: I bust I bust out laughing. And however, my daughter did not bust out laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, Oh she was a little hot.
Speaker 2: She got she got to beat the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to play.
Speaker 2: You were out here.
Speaker 1: You don't put on your team. Come on, we need you to make a play.
Speaker 2: But I kept thinking, I wish there was a way that at that age, somehow you can make things a little bit more exciting. But there wasn't so much standing.
Speaker 1: Around, right it is. That's the knock on baseball for kids is that it's you know, the video game era that's too slow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and that's why the pitch clock works.
Speaker 1: We know, I think we need a lot more it's clock.
Speaker 2: But anyway, the next time I see h Murpha wants you to rub your stomach and look at me and go, I'm hungry and I want to go.
Speaker 1: Well, fifty three and seventy eight. A lot of jazz there, I say that, But not last night. Not last night. We got the win.
Speaker 2: By the way, they need to go seventeen and fourteen to win seventy games, So that's where I'm going for So.
Speaker 1: You just blew past the one hundred lost thing like we're worried about that. We want ten and twenty one. You want seventeen and.
Speaker 2: Fourty to get to seventy. Okay, that's got you know, not that that's going to make a difference, but hey, just for fun and why not?
Speaker 1: And Ryan Walker shall lead them all right, Kype loved it. Have a great one, see you soon, all right, the great Dwayne Kiper And I can't leave the segment without shouting out two of my best all stars ever, Remy and Victoria. I had two gals on my Little League All Star teams that were freaking studs, and they were at the center of the lineups in some big positions. And then also, Little League was the first Little league in America to force a to legal She petitioned the Supreme Court and President Nixon. Jenny fully, we were the first little league in America to have a girl play. Wow, nineteen seventy four. There's a little there's a little plaque and statue thing at the at the park.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's right. I mean you saw this gal. Yes, she's the real deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And she got a game tying knock last night too. And I love seeing stories like this. You mentioned Monette Davis in the strikeout Record by a Girl in the Little League World Series. Monette Davis is now playing in the Women's Professional Baseball League, and shout out to our very own San Francisco fire Bells, who currently have the best record in the league.
Speaker 1: Well, the fact that you knew the nickname gives him a pluck. I'm a San Francisco fire bell head. There's a statue of Tony Stone, who was like the one of the first great baseball female players in San Francisco, in lot A the Mission Area. Then what do they call that area? The Mission park? A Mission Bay area that the Giants are built with that arsaical bakery and flower and water, peafield work and everything. Yeah, and yeah, there's a statue of her, Tony Stone. She's a female player, So anyway, go Kinley go, although she can't pitch till Saturday, and they're in the elimination brackets, so they living day to day. The real team is Iowa and Vegas. They're facing off in the winners bracket final tomorrow. I follow this stuff, all right a little Louis Matt Barrows at eight point fifteen on These Sports Leader