Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the sports Leader dot com at k nb R the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: App what something's gonna get int.
Speaker 3: Spanning the globe.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get drunk before the game, We're gonna get drunk during the game, and then we're gonna get drunk after the game.
Speaker 1: The thrill of victory woooo, the agony of defeat.
Speaker 3: I'll be in Ireland like looking around, going damn, I lost. This is the Wide World of Walt Ah. It's time for the segment that's sweeping the nation, The Wide World of wall where Walter grills us with some of the toughest questions in the sports world, then awards one point per question. I think those are the rules, but I don't even know, Walter, because I'm looking at your guests this right now and it says world Wide of walt Which one is it? Is it worldwide? Is it the wide world? What are we talking about this morning?
Speaker 4: That's you shouting out Curly's inability to type it out correctly.
Speaker 3: I should have known a misspelling or a mislabeling of a segment is all due to my guy John Joe Curly Well let's not get the rules backwards, lay it out for us. What can we expect, Walter?
Speaker 4: All right, it's the wide world of Waltz. Welcome in JD. What I'm going to do is I'm gonna read you a question. You guys will both have a chance to answer, and I award a point at the end, who ever has the most points. All right, but we are going to do it. Let's go ahead and do the first one. Trade deadline just happened, Derek Scoogle to the Dodgers school. Need I say anymore? Is this good or bad for baseball? Is it good or bad for baseball? The answers gotta be bad for baseball. Now, I don't know if I'm going as far to say it's ruined the game of baseball because this was a trade, not just a blanket overpaid by the LA Dodgers.
Speaker 3: But guess what that's coming soon. I'm guessing they're gonna work out a contract extension before the next potential CBA. Schooble's gonna get paid by the Dodgers, which could lead to a potential lockout. So this is all bad for baseball? How could this possibly be good for baseball? Walter, We're looking at the Dodgers trying to run off a three p This is absolutely bad for baseball and bad for Giants fans.
Speaker 5: JD.
Speaker 6: It's bad for.
Speaker 7: Baseball if twenty nine other teams are ticked off about it, and twenty nine other fan bases are ticked off about it, If you have that much negative energy, it's bad for the game. Now it's completely and fully legal within the game, and the Dodgers are very much within their right to be like, you know what, everybody.
Speaker 6: Else suck it right, you just did deal with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say this last thoughts bad for baseball, good for the owners because they're not going to use this as a reason for a potential lockout and a salary.
Speaker 7: Again, you went, you went in an attempt to steal my point. Yes, I did to steal my thunder on the next point was going to be, which is, yes, the owners probably view it as good for baseball because it's going to give them exactly what they need to stop the game and and change the financials to essentially prevent them from themselves moving forward.
Speaker 4: Look at markets trying to steal the point, and JD caught on and defended it.
Speaker 3: JD gets the first point, kwa Z is able to swat it down. Well, hey, I'll end it on a positive note. Scooble, hold that L first start as a Dodger lost last night.
Speaker 4: You can't spell scooble without an L. See if you would have led with that, you would have got the point. Dodgers would have got a point to anybody. Want to throw that out, Doctor Fodgers. Careful lost the license?
Speaker 3: Careful, careful with that one. JD.
Speaker 6: No, but I think I.
Speaker 7: Have played this game at a different a different I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah yeah. A lot of moving parts here can be all right, Walter, what's next? All right, let's keep it moving and talk more trades. But from the Giants perspective, what grade would you give busher Posey on this year's trade deadline? You first, JD.
Speaker 6: I'll give him an A minus. I give my an a minus.
Speaker 7: I mean, by all accounts, he got a legitimate haul of of top end prospects in just about every one of these deals and flipped a reliever that I don't think the Giants wound up being all that high on in terms of the future. And Eric Miller, for somebody that was the fourth overall pick in twenty twenty one, it hasn't played a lot at the big league level that still could have the potential to be unlocked in mayor so I I think I think he did a really nice job considering this circumstances. I'm not going to give him a full blown A because I think he could have leaned in even harder on looking to move Logan Web, and I don't think it would have hurt as much as the perception of trading Logan Web would have hurt, right, because then then it's, oh my god, it's a full blown tear down to the studs. I think the Jung Huley opt out potential after twenty twenty seven is another reason. In hindsight, maybe I would have looked at moving him, But you can't necessarily trade everybody because you do need players to fool out the roster for next year and future years. So I'm not given the full blown A because of the unknown. And I'm not giving him the full blown A because I think he could have gone further. But I do think he gets at a minus because by all accounts on paper, he did as good as he could in terms of the prospects in the Hall that the Giants got back.
Speaker 3: You know, my gut reaction was also in a minus. But after I heard your answer and the fact that I want to steal the point, I'm gonna bump it up to an A because he didn't trade Logan Webb. But I'm glad that Webby is here to stay now. I do love the Hall of Prospects that he was able to get back. The one complaint I'm hearing on the streets of San Francisco Giants social media is that he could not unload the contracts of a Matt Chapman, of Willie Domins or maybe even possibly a Raphael Devers. But it takes two to tango. I think for the dance partners that they found, they got a great return. They got three legit pitching prospects, Romo Marquez from the Philadelphia Phillies, Henry Laloni from the New York Yankees, Miguel Mendez from San Diego. Then you throw in the seventeen year old shortstop that they got from San Diego. Also, Jeff Kent's kid is in down Kate and Kent, and you throw in Marcelo Meyer, who has a chance to maybe be the steal of this year's trade deadline for a bullpen arm going out.
Speaker 4: I'm giving him an A on my report card. Walter, the future is orange. I'm gonna go with I'm gonna go with Marcus. I think I think Busher did a really good job. So Marcus gets the point ty breaker here to end the segment. Makes you go ahead, Walter, make a quick get it in before before we gotta talk to Kruk. So let's go ahead. JD is trying to read or JD kady. JD might be trying to rewrite history. It's the point Katie is trying to rewrite history. So let's do some rewriting of ourselves. Which great Bay Area team should have won a title that you'd give it to?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I'll make this quick because we gotta go. It's got to be the forty nine ers recently. I know they've won five Super Bowl immersed lifetime. They haven't won Jack Squad in my lifetime. If I'm changing one thing, I'm changing Kyle Shanahan's decision with the coin toss in overtime. Maybe that's the butterfly effect, and that gets the forty nine ers of super Bowl.
Speaker 6: So we need to change a play, or we just need to change an outcome. Just what what team? Yeah, change the outcome that should have won a title. I'm losing the point here, it's I'm fumbling the bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like you're losing the segment two.
Speaker 6: This is good for me. It's the Niners. It's the Niners.
Speaker 7: Whether it's the harpball era, that team could have won three Super Bowls in eleven, twelve, and thirteen.
Speaker 6: The forty nine ers could have won in nineteen.
Speaker 7: Twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, twenty five, even keep going, all right, maybe not twenty five. Yeah, the Niners should have the sixth title. They probably should have seven or eight, but they should at least have six. I'm sick of quest for six.
Speaker 4: To break the tie, give me a specific year, specific year of the team.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with the last Super Bowl trip when we're all in Vegas. I forget the year because I forget most of that week.
Speaker 7: Twenty three there it was. If you remember the year, you should get the point. JD takes the campaign.
Speaker 6: Maybe you don't get the point. I don't.
Speaker 3: JD gets the point. Jada gets the point.
Speaker 6: You remember the year.
Speaker 3: JD gets the point gets a segment?
Speaker 6: Do ja do you remember the team?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: One day? Was it on? I'm gonna say a Sunday.
Speaker 6: Give me a point for that one.
Speaker 3: Come on, it was a Sunday. It had to be Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 6: JAD wins.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 7: By the way, you guys know what the Super Bowl this year is. It's to do about yea Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Ooh hi, controversial, controversial Valentine's Day super Bowl. Oh, that's busy.
Speaker 7: We get the President's Day holiday. I like that because it's the it's the third Monday is the fifteenth?
Speaker 3: I like that? Yeah, true, that is to be determined.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Can I call an audible and say I want to rewrite this segment so that I can change the history. I can finally get aways time. Yeah, exactly. We got to go. Mike Cruco next on the Trade Deadline and Blade didwell last night. It's Murph and Marcus with JD in this morning on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 6: There's no question we got the best in the group.
Speaker 1: That's why Murph and Marcus catch up with Kruk right now, right now on K and D R one oh four five and six am.
Speaker 3: All right, you know the routine. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Right around seven thirty, we sit down for a baseball conversation with Mike Kruco. Mike, welcome back to the Murphy Marcus Show. Murph is on vacation once again, so it's John Dickinson filling in this morning. And I know we talked to you Monday morning right before the trade deadline. But a lot to catch up on with everything that's happened since then. But also what a game last night. Mike as Basabe and Bryce Eldridge tried to wield the Giants way back into that game last night. Unfortunately it ends with a young who Lee misread on the warning track. Mike, your reaction to last night's game and good morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Good morning, John, Welcome to the show. Yeah. I like last night's game for a lot of reasons. I mean, number one and the Oki well, I mean I've always been intrigued by this guy because he's a bull and he's got some attack to him. I like attack. I don't like nibble, and I think people really climb the in the eyes of the organization, in the eyes of the fan base. In regard to credibility when they when they attack, nobody wants to see somebody go out there, ball on ball to nibble nibble, nibble nibble. And and I love the fact that he got after it. The other thing too, I thought it was really significant about his outing is he got down to nothing in the first inning, and you can understand, you know, he was probably you know, far away from the comfort zone. A lot of a drillinge going and uh and that's when you get a lot of a drilling going, it's really hard at times to handle your concentration. It can go out the door because you're thinking about all the people you represent, You're thinking about the people you don't want to screw up in front of, You're thinking about so many things that are kind of productive to you. But to be able to find your focus like he did and put up four zeros and go through five innings and allows just those two runs in the first inning, I thought that was that was really good. I thought that, you know this, that's that's an outing that he can be proud of and can build on. The Other about the game that I really liked was well, you know, and you know they're down and they got Lutch the hard you know, the left who's got one of the best sliders in the game. And who they threw up there. They threw three left handers up there. Gilbert down on O two County goes the Apps away base. It lead off and get a man on and then Grant mccraig comes in and he gets a a walk. What a grated bat. And then there's a you know, a wild pitch and they get over the second third and then they here comes here comes Bryce Eldridge and he knocks him in, and now we got a tie ball game. I thought that was really cool because of the fact that Lutz just eats left handers for breakfast, and here's three young left handed hitters and they had grinding, productive at bats, and the Giants got back in that game, and at that point time I thought they were going to win the ball game. Didn't happen that way. But there were a lot of significant things happening for young players in yesterday's game that I thought were fantastic.
Speaker 7: How much can the infusion of whether it's young players are just players that maybe have bounced around and haven't had opportunities at the big league level, how much can that just infuse a team with with energy at at what's obviously a difficult part of the season, considering the way everything went down on Monday.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean it changes the dynamic certainly, But you do have the three anchors. I mean, I mean, you've got guys in the in that lineup that are you know there are you know, Jung Huli and Raphaeldevers and William Donalds are there pros. So that's those that's your base, that's your foundation right there. And everybody else comes in and they're a bit disoriented with all that has happened the wind tour, and now of a sudden, you see you guys come walking in and it changes the whole dynamic of the room. Everybody. I know, there's that period where you're looking around this guy, good guy? You know? Is he not a good guy? Is he does he work? I mean what? So you're learning the team and here we are with two months left in the season. So I mean, that's always one of the major distractions of the trade deadline. But you know, I thought that their first game when they came together on the first game of the series, behind a spirited out and from Logan Web, I thought that was a tremendous game given the amount of distraction that they had to overcome. But I thought that they played well. It came back twice and last night's game, and I think that that has everything to do with finding a little calm uh and it may have been found during the course of the ball game itself, But I like, what what what what happened when you know the fact that they were able to come back twice with new guys, Usabi coming up with a two on Homer time. I mean, those are big deals. So the more that those young guys have success, the more that the new guys have success, the easier it's going to be to go to work and you know, kind of nestle in and feel like you belong and that there's a harmony within the clubhouse. So that's what's at stake right now. But I think so far they passed tests in a big way.
Speaker 3: Mike Blade saidwell, was one of the players that the Giants got in returned last year at the trade deadline in the Tyler Rogers trade to the New York Mets. So, circling back to this year's trade deadline, were there any big prospects that maybe stood out to you in any of these packages with the Giants trading six active players off the major league roster, but if not, just your thoughts on the overall direction and the messaging of Buster Posey bringing in some of these prospects and trading away major league talent.
Speaker 5: I can't remember a time in since I've been with the Giants, and that goes back to nineteen eighty two where there has been this many prospects that have reputation come into the organization after a trade deadline. This was a hall and you know, I haven't seen all these guys. I've just I've just heard a lot about these guys, and until I actually see them on video, you know, I'm not going to formulate any any creditible opinion. I mean, I just don't pass something on unless I see it. But I I from what I hear and from what uh. You know, you're looking at the rankings and the rankings now with the way that that the minor leagues are ranked and prospects are ranked, I mean that that's I think it's incredible help to organizations as they go evaluate. Uh and during the weeks in a certain day of the trade deadline, I mean, they it's become a whole lot easier just because of that. There's so much information regarding prospects throughout every every organization. Based on all that, I think they did extremely well. They brought back some some just raw talent. There's there's other guys who are strike throwers with great stuff. There's uh other guys who are funky that you know, are six seven and they throw left handed with a low th recorder and they you know, they can hit high nineties. I mean everything I hear about these guys is so intriguing that in you know, in the next week's I really am looking forward to being able to go back into YouTube and bringing up some of these little little blips of what they can do. But I think they did extremely well.
Speaker 7: When you look at Tidwell, going back to him, what you know, the opportunity that he has in front of him and others Carson wizen Hunt today.
Speaker 6: To earn spots on this team.
Speaker 7: Like, what do you think of the way that he's transitioned from you know, somebody that now is projected as a starter. We saw him as a reliever earlier in the year and sort of doing that in season.
Speaker 5: Well, let's talk about Tidwell first when I first saw him, you know, I talked about the attack right. One thing he learned when he first got here was Okay, the attack part is really good. I've got stuff that can play here. I need to improve on my location, and I think that was one of the big things that he did in last night's ball game that I thought was different than the previous times that I saw him. Before I saw him, he had good stuff and he wasn't afraid to throw it up there. But you know, location is essential up here. Mean, these are big league hitters. You have to be able to locate. So I thought that he really made a nice forward taking the ball yesterday and locating better. In regards to Wizard Hunt, Uh, your Wizard Hunt is still learning. And you know he showed up with three pitches. He's got one grip on the fastball. He's got to change up and to break the ball, go get him. What he has to learn and where his growth is going to come quickly is new grips. Now they that's the one thing you learn up here at the big league level. You learn what other guys on your staff are doing. How do they grip the ball? How do they hold the sinker? You can hold a sinker to fourteen different ways. You can hold a change of fourteen different ways. Well, which grip is best suited for you? What? What? What grip is best suited for your your arm squat and and the way that you pronate through the ball. How do you turn the ball over? How the maximized movement that runs away from a right handed hit or if you're with ing not well, you've got to throw a two seamed fastball right now, he's throwing a course seamer. Now he throws it well, and he can pitch inside the ridings. I love that. But there's there's an area of growth here that you know he needs to catch hold of and learn how to apply, because you know that's how he's going to grow and get better. So I like this. I like the foundation on both guys.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 5: I do believe that you know, given enough innings and and enough instruction, that they'll be able to go out there and uh and get better. And I think they get better in a hurry. I like the athleticism of those guys. That's the other thing you look at. Look at a guy's feet, How does he move? How does he feel as a position, how does he hold runners on like going on out there. You've got to be able to control the rhythm of the runner. You've got to be able to control the rhythm of the of the hitter. You have to control your own rhythm. And I would never forget the Hermit Franks, who my first manager said, if you're going to be a pitcher in the big leagues, it's just like being a traffic cop at rush hour on Michigan Avenue Chicago. You have to be in control of everything, and that's what these guys are learning. Mike.
Speaker 3: It was no surprise to see guys like Luisa Rise, Robbie Ray, and even Tyler Mallley traded away at this year's trade deadline with them being on expiring contracts. But one guy I wanted to ask you about was Elliott Ramos, who was one of the last trades that the Giants made right before the trade deadline. He was a guy that still had team control, was a homegrown kid, first round draft pick, had a breakout year a couple of years ago, and went to the All Star Game. Your thoughts on trading away a bet and a homegrown prospect like Elliott Ramos and what that message kind of since the clubhouse in the organization.
Speaker 5: Well, I was surprised by that, but I guess, you know, we really shouldn't be, because they said they were shopping everybody. And I think that the package that the Yankees gave him was was one that they felt was something they couldn't they couldn't refuse. And I wish Shellia ra almost nothing but the best. And he's one of those guys that I'll be following every time I get the box scorers of you know, last night's score, I'm going to go right to the Yankees to see how he did. I mean, he went took an over four yesterday that he hit fourth, you know. And I don't think I don't think he's come close to the ceiling yet. I think he can be a player that can be a perennial All Star. But you know, when you're making a transition, you can't make a move like that unless you have a belief that you have somebody to fill his shoes and uh and I do believe they think they have that in Arracoto. And there's other intriguing outfield prospects. There are other guys who will be given an opportunity, maybe even this year. So I think from the prospects of building up your your minor league system and h and being excited about some of your existing prospects, I think this is exactly what this whole trade represents.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's no question about that. Gihnts have definitely restocked their farm system over the last season, including the trade deadline, and even go back to the draft this year. Now, you mentioned one of the players in return for Elliot Ramos Henry Lalani, the left handed pitcher from the New York Yankees, but they also got a familiar name, Kadi and Kent, the son of Jeff Kent. And regardless of what the scouting report is, Mike, it's pretty cool that the Giants have a Kent and a Bonds both back in the organization.
Speaker 5: Well, I followed him when he was a Texas A and m They had a coach down there by the name of Jason Kelly, who my son played ball with and one of his best friends. And Jason Kelly loved him. And the one thing that he talked about was work ethic. He says, you can't outwork the guy. He's as tough as nails and and he works hard. Well, I mean some kind of reminds you of somebody we heard of, didn't it, And a lot of similarities to his father, and in his makeup and approach going to the game. It's all business. And you know, we high draft pick out of Texas A and M. You know, it's a big program, so there's lots of expectations. So hopefully he gets to the where he climbs the ladder and we see him in the big league someday because it would be a great story.
Speaker 7: How impressed have you been with a Sabe. I mean, he's not afraid to swing it, and he's got some pop.
Speaker 5: I've been impressed with his bats. I haven't been that impressed in the field yet. Fair you know, a couple of things that he has to, uh, you know, be aware of. He's got to speed up his game, and and that that just the defensive game. He had a series he had in San Diego and there were a couple of instants there where he just didn't react to the speed of the game. So you know that that's something that you got to work on and that just takes reps. But what he does have is he's got, he's got bat speed. He turns around one hundred mile an hour fastball and above the hands, middle end against Mason Miller, and everybody in my room we were watching kind of looked around and nobody said a word, but a lot of eyebrows were raised, like, okay, you know that you do that one time against Mason Miller, and the all of baseball who was probably watching that game, they kind of, well, that guy getting hit a fastball, maybe we better do the pitch him with something out because once you hit the premier fastball in baseball, it's established you've got credibility. And I think is that bats a bit exciting? And he's surely not afraid of the moment. I mean he's not afraid to leave the yard, not afraid to hit down on the count or down in the in the score. I mean he's got some big, good bats where he's brought his team back with the long ball.
Speaker 7: Or or against Mason Miller, or against Mason Miller, who nobody's touched for like a year.
Speaker 5: He hit that ball. I got one hundred nine miles an hour, the hardest ball hit off of Mason Miller, and he pulled it. That's the other things. It's one thing to hit a hundred and three when you're pulling it off the wall to one on nine that just you know, it gets you a lot of job offers.
Speaker 3: Mike's speaking a defense one to end it on a Matt Chapman update, because we haven't seen the Platinum Gold Glove winner in quite a while. He's been dealing with an abdominal strain. Now, there was an update yesterday that he's gonna fly out the Philadelphia to see a specialist to see how severe that injury is, and Tony vide Tello says there's a chance that we don't se him again the season. Now, I'm assuming that Matchapman wants to get back on the field, but with the way this season has played out, maybe it's not the worst thing in the world that they shut down Matt Chapman to give some of these opportunities to some of these young guys around the Diamond.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I mean it's unfortunate that not only he goes down, but Casey Schmid goes down. I mean, that's that's a double thud, and it's killing both these guys. You know, they're they're they're don't do well on the bench watching the game. But you know, I don't trust core injuries. You know, you have enough dominal injury, or you have an oblique injury. I mean, you can throw hamstrings in there, any big muscle. It just seems like it's worse than a broken bone because you can't fully really believe that it's completely healed up within the timeframe. But you want to get it healed up. And this is this is not responding. And I mean we watched them take batting practice in San Diego. I thought it was a pretty good session, but then he was having probably, well, if you can run, you can't play defense. You can't I mean, you can't play baseball. And so there's more to what's going on, and it might even wind up in a small surgical repair type of thing. And so that happens that he's now for the rest of the year, and that's awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see what happens with Matcha've been moving forward, and let's see what happens today with the Giants in the final game of the series out in Texas, eleven thirty five. First pitch today with Carson Wison Hunt back on the bump, Mike appreciate your time this morning, and we'll talk to you on Friday. There he is Mike Kruco every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with a good breakdown on Blade Tidwell, who joins the show today at nine fifteen. But in a few minutes at eight fifteen, we'll switch gears and talk forty nine or football with Matt Barrows. Plenty of injury updates to get into, but it is time for the big hit. Eight Away, camb Are, How are you feeling Giants fans? How are you filling forty nine er fans? How are you feeling Warriors fans? After Kevin Durant was out here trying to rewrite history? This morning open line at eight am. Your call eight away, camby Are is the number if you want to chime in on the Murphy Markets Show with jd In this morning on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: This is the Big Hit sponsored by Benjamin Moore Paints. Experience the Benjamin Moore Retail Difference at are independently owned authorized retailers today or at Benjamin Moore dot com. Murphin Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios, Casino Matrix progressive jackpots are here? Where are you just drop.
Speaker 8: In one eight hundred gambler For a long time, I've been you know, the focus of defenses when we play them. I'm sure I still will be. But if they worry about me too much, you know, we got all the guys that you mentioned, and that's why I'm super excited for the season to see how we all put it together and see what defenses are gonna do, who they're gonna pick to focus on because we have so many guys, And that's another big reason why I came here.
Speaker 3: The voice of future Hall of Fame Mike Evans live with the Murph and Marcus Show this past Monday down at Levi Stadium, and you are listening to cambyr AM and cambyr FM, San Francisco. The Sports Leader, a Cumulus Media station. Really enjoyed our sit down conversation with Mike Evans. If you missed any of that interview, you can check out the podcast on cambar dot com or wherever you download your cambr podcast. The one problem is JD. We didn't ask him about his quad during that interview because Mike Evans later that day did sit out practice with a tai quad now. Ian Rappaport yesterday on NFL Network clarified that the forty nine Ers do not view this as a serious issue, which is great news for this forty nine ers wide receiver room that looks a lot different than it did just a few days ago. We got the news over the weekend that Ricky Piersaw is done for the season, having surgery on that PCL injury on the same knee that he injured last season, which led to the forty nine Ers bringing in Deebo Samuel last Friday. Now, JD, I know you were down at Levi Stadium last Friday. We were there on Monday, so I had the opportunity to see nineteen problems back in action. Were there any sightings of Debo? Were you right behind George Kittle giving him a hug when he hopped out of the car.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I didn't see him on Friday when I was down there. I did see him on the practice field Saturday. I did hop down to practice on Saturday, so that was the debo day and it felt like it felt like a Deebo showcase practice. They had I think eight, eight or nine passes or plays for him and the fans were there and kind of kind of getting into it with the site of debo back on the practice field. So it makes a lot of sense that the one concern I have is and we discussed this in our time together over the last couple of weeks. I like the idea of debo as more of a luxury item as opposed to a necessity. And given the state of the wide receiver room and Ricky Piersall being done for the year and stribbling concerns there and Evans, even if they're minor concerns with some of those injuries, I feel like Deebo's very quickly getting bumped up as much as he's a great fit to necessity need this guy now to be a major factor, and I don't know that that's necessarily the best position for him and for the forty nine ers to be the most successful.
Speaker 3: No, I think the ideal role for Deebo Samuel is to be that gadget guy, and maybe even more to an extent of what we saw in his previous stint with the forty nine ers. They want to use him as a kick returner, they want to get him involved in the backfield, all things that we've seen before. But you're right they might have to rely on him more, but they're also not relying on him as a twenty million dollar wide receiver anymore, because, let's be honest, Deebo Samuel did not show that version of himself last year. What the Washington Commanders now, maybe he can't bring back some of that yack element that was missing from this forty nine Ers offense last year. But some interesting contract details that came out yesterday, Deebo Samuel only has a guaranteed base salary of three point two seven million dollars. Now that contract can get upwards the seven million dollars including incentives, which means to me, if Deebo Samuel earns that seven million dollars this year with these incentives, then he was worth every single penny this offseason. This seems like a great deal and a great fit becking his Kyle Shanahan's system and a problem that the forty nine Ers needed to address, and here's nineteen problems back in red and gold.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think they're going to get a motivated Deebo Samuel. They're going to get an in shape Deebo Samuel, which at times maybe they didn't have toward the end of his tenure with San Francisco before he ended up in Washington for twenty and twenty five. So all of that checks and I think actually puts the forty nine ers in a great spot in terms of Deebo's mentality. The only question I have in the contract structure and all that's a part of it. The only question I have is are they set up potential to be a little too Debo dependent, because I don't necessarily think that's best for that, But you know, he's a weapon, and he's a weapon in many different ways. It is a nice problem to have and one of the nineteen nice problems to have back in Deebo Sama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that might be one of my concerns is how dependent they might need to be on Deebo early on in the season, with Ricky Piersov being done for the entire year, with George Kittle still coming back from that Achilles injury, his status is up.
Speaker 6: In the air for a week one down in Australia.
Speaker 3: And yes, it does seem like these are minor concerns early on for Mike Evans and Dejon Stripling, but we've seen these minor concerns morph into major concerns right next to that substation down in Santa Clara, so JD. Let me ask you, even though it is early on in training camp, even though we are over a week away from the forty nine ers first preseason game of the year, how concerned are you with the total amount of injuries with the forty nine ers in and outside of the wide receiver room. I mean, it's not like the forty are the only team around the league dealing with injuries, but it seems like every single season we're talking about the same topics. At least they're getting it out of the way early on. Or do you think this is something I could linger on into Week one of the season in Australia.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you never know, but history would tell you that it. Yes, I mean it's the NFL and guys get hurt in the NFL with regularity, And I think it's it's where the entire history of the forty nine Ers and having so many seasons impacted in meaningful ways to a greater extent. At least it feels that way here in the Bay to other teams. How can it not at least concern you in terms of, Oh God, here we go again, Oh God, is this happening again?
Speaker 6: Like because I mean, think about it.
Speaker 7: How many years do you look back at the end of a forty nine er season and basically say injuries cost.
Speaker 6: Them X or Y or z or Lombardi.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's it feels like it's a part of the conversation every year, and again, a lot of that's the nature of the NFL, but the forty nine ers have been hit as hard as anybody by it in a lot of these years and over the last decade as a whole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it almost feels like Groundhog Day every time one of these injury report comes out, and it's like, all right, now, this guy's hurt. Now, this guy's hurt. Now there's more issues and more question marks leading into the season when we just heard Mike Evans talk about all the talent when this is a healthy offense overall. Now there's also questions with Mike Evans at this stage in his career, did have a streak of eleven straight seasons with over a thousand yards, becoming the first wide receiver to do that, you know, since a guy named Jerry Rice did it. With the San Francisco forty nine ers. Now that streak came to an end last year and Mike Evans only played eight games, which has led to some overall concerns about him being that wide receiver number one in your wide receiver room. Here was our conversation yesterday with Mike Sando about the addition of Mike Evans and whether or not he's concerned about some of these early training camp injuries.
Speaker 5: I'm worried now.
Speaker 9: A lot of people really applauded that move to get him, but he missed a bunch of the year last year. I think the the odds are the Bucks, you know, got out. Probably they didn't get out a year too late, right, They probably got out on time. And so you know, I was already worried about Christian McCaffrey because the other two times he led the league in touches, he had injuries the next year. So now he's obviously older than he was then. And you know, are we taking him for granted right where all the focuses on the wide receivers. But yeah, Kittle coming off of the injury Evans, who probably even if he isn't missing time right now, I would tell you he's going to miss games this year. Pearsall now is out. I'm definitely worried, and I'm sure forty nine Er fans are too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there should be some cause for concern with the amount of injuries, with the fact that the forty nine ers have gone through this process. Then you throw the additional storyline of Kyle Shanahan in the car accident, in his recovery, in the concussion protocol, and his status for Week one down in Australia. I mean, these are all factors that we're going to be talking about for the next month of the season, leading up to the actual date where the forty nine Ers decide to travel down to Australia, whether it's nine days before or one day before, whenever those two teams show up down down Under. I should say there's plenty of time for the injuries to not be the factor that it looks like they could be right now.
Speaker 7: But again, the history makes you worried in a major, major way because typically during an NFL season, Yeah, you're gonna get some guys back that are dealing with minor injuries, but you're also going to have other players that are going to deal with minor injuries, and eventually every team's going to have a handful of players at a minimum that deal with major injuries, and the forty nine Ers already have one of those that's impacted a big part of this team, which is the wide receiver room in Ricky pearsall being done for the entire season. So it's absolutely an issue, although again and you have to try, I think, if you're the forty nine ers internally, to just not overreact to it because there still is so much time to go, what five weeks from tomorrow before they're gonna play that first game down in Melbourne, and a lot of things can go right.
Speaker 6: Between now and then as well to heal up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they still have time, but man, that time is moving quickly. Five weeks until that game, but it might be four weeks until they're actually flying out to Australia. A little bit of news, yes, so that we can talk about in a few minutes with Matt Barrows. Now, I believe the original plan for the forty nine ers was to fly out around nine days early to get out to Australia. Not sure if that timeline is gonna be affected at all by the Kyle Shanahan situation, or maybe even some of these injury concerns that they are dealing with. But how about this kind of curveball thrown into the storyline. Yesterday I was reported by ESPN's Dan Graziano that the La Rams are gonna fly in the day before Week one game against the forty nine ers and then fly out immediately after. Not sure about that strategy of maybe not trying to adjust your plot but your body clock getting in and out. Your reaction to the news that the La Rams are trying to be one and done down in Australia.
Speaker 7: I found it to be stunning, And I think the forty nine er plan is to go the Wednesday before, So here the game is going to be Thursday night football, right five thirty five Pacific, but it's actually going to be Friday morning in Melbourne. We talked about that. I think ten ten thirty in the morning, ten thirty five, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I believe.
Speaker 3: I think that's yeah, ten thirty or eleven thirty in the morning, well as Matty Barrows.
Speaker 7: But so there's that component to it. But then they're going, I believe, on the prior Wednesday to that. So that is quite the juxtaposition, and I find it stunning that the RAMS would do that for what is essentially a fifteen hour flight. And so you look at it and I mean, there, it's funny. I reading up on this during the show a little bit. You guys mentioned it in the pre show meeting, and I was thinking, well, what are they gonna what are they trying to do, like.
Speaker 6: Just get their sleep on the plane?
Speaker 7: One night of rest and basically, you know we've all done this right, you pull almost it all nighter and then you just ride out the next day on adrenaline. And I'm reading through articles and it's basically, yeah, the RAMS leadership hopts to rely on adrenaline and avoid prolonged jet lag disruptions by just by just.
Speaker 6: Go lock and load.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're gonna spend more time on the flight flying two and back from Australia than they actually will spend down in Australia.
Speaker 7: It sounds like that's the case, although again I wonder, you know, day before, day before is it's like probably Wednesday early, so they get their Wednesday night like our time, and so they would have it's it's gonna be two nights, Like there's no way they're getting their Thursday night and then playing and then playing at you know, ten thirty five in the morning local time. Then following mornings, there's got to be at least one more day in there.
Speaker 6: You're not gonna get a fifteen hour flight. Get in it, get in at eight o'clock at night, and then we'll.
Speaker 3: Come straight off the plane and play and then JB. I can just say from my own past experience, I've pulled plenty of all nighters and taken red eyes the night before. My body does not feel great the next day. So we'll see if this strategy plays out for the Rams in week one down in Australia only five weeks away.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: I am rereading it now just to make sure on the details of it, because again you have the difference in time, and like I said, the game is, the game is going to be, you know, one day here and the next day there you know as well, which also factors into this. But but yeah, it's it's incredible when you think about it. Yeah, seventeen hour difference between the Pacific time zone and Melbourne. The forty nine ers are going to get acclimated having the full nine days before the kickoff and so yeah, they've got their plan and McVeigh says, we're like sealed team six.
Speaker 6: We're in and out before you know what happened.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a bold strategy. Caught in eight three one checking in on the Golden Saint Lummer and Shrome text igne. They asked the silple question, what if the Rams have their flight delayed? Like, how's that factor?
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: They got their own private jet. I'm sure they'll be able to get down to Australia. We'll break down travel plans with Matt Barrow's next, who is one of the best beat riders on the scene. Right now, we'll get a live check in from Levi Stadium with all of your forty nine er injury updates and your travel plans for the Rams and for the forty nine ers. Five weeks away from Week one of the NFL season, one week away from the preseason, and one day away from the Hall of Fame game tomorrow, a lot to break down with Matt Barrow's next on The Sports Leader