Speaker 1: Something's not right here. Crime is up all over the state.
Speaker 2: The homelessness and the city is out of control.
Speaker 3: The economy is sick, axes are high, housing is expensive, and businesses are leaving.
Speaker 4: Leaving California means fixing, and John Phillips is just the man to.
Speaker 1: Leave the charge.
Speaker 3: It's the Fix California Hour with John Phillips and Randy wag.
Speaker 5: And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 3: Johnny, We're broadcasting live on the radio on seven ninety KABC in southern California and eight ten KSFO in the Bay Area. But we're now also broadcasting live on video every single day at Johnny don't like dot Com. That's Johnny with a why, that's Johnny don't like dot Com. And we've got people watching us from up and down the state of California. Let's do a quick little check in burbanks here, Crito, Sonoma County, el Segundo, South County, Citrus Hides, Tracy Another, Citrus Heights, Granada Hills, Carson, Lancaster, Jackson, the Valley, nor Walk, Everyone's here. We even got someone listening from Tucson, Arizona. Tell us where you're watching us from by telling us in the chat. We also have a brand new poll. It's a you know, typically news organizations do polls like this where you want to gauge the performance of your elected officials. So it's a very straight up poll. Do you approve or disapprove of Gavin Newsom's job performance in the state of California, and currently Gavin has a ninety eight percent disapproval rating. If you would like to vote in the poll and play around in the chat, just go to Johnny don't like dot com. That's Johnny with a Why Grass Valley's here, Seal Beach, Moderey County, North Carolina. Look at this Sierra Madre. We love seeing this, Danville. That's where my weight loss guy is.
Speaker 5: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. Will Eric Swalwell might be trading in MSNBC for Court TV. He will be replaced in the House of Representatives for his Dublin based seat in Congress, and Randy it looks like he's going to be replaced by a member of the DSA at.
Speaker 3: Least temporarily for the next couple of months, because yep, there's another election in November. But for more on the special election to replace Eric Swalwell and the final results, here's a report from kpix me raised to.
Speaker 6: Replace former Congressman Eric Swalwell seat in the US House. CBS News Bay Area is projecting State Senator Aishawa hobb the winner of the District fourteen special election over former Dublin Mayor Melissa Hernandez Hobbs Lee expanding to about six thousand votes, which is a few hundred yet to be counted.
Speaker 3: So far, what less than one hundred thousand people voted in that election. I mean, it is the summertime, and it sticks with the theme of what we've been seeing where the DSA is just rolling up victory after victory after victory after victory. And what's interesting about this race though, specifically, is all of the money was on Hernandez's side, all of the money and what hobbs still won. There is a real energy with the DSA young people that money is not going to halt the progress of I mean, that guy, I'll say it in Michigan. He was outspent one like sixteen to one.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and that's been common in many of these races.
Speaker 3: See Tom Steyer, money is in everything.
Speaker 1: I'm Tom Steyer.
Speaker 7: I'm about to ride.
Speaker 3: The d That's a funny one because Tom Steyer ran as a DSA style candidate, as a billionaire, spent a order of a billion dollars and still came in third.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well that's an odd cell. The communist billionaire. That's what he tried to sell to when he went on Hassan's show.
Speaker 6: Kara Saint Cyr has been following this race and has reaction from the candidates.
Speaker 4: Kara Jules, it's the election that keeps on going because these same two Democrats will face off yet again in November in the race.
Speaker 3: Melissa, I hope you didn't spend all of your money in the August race.
Speaker 1: What is this baseball where it's a three game series.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a it's a special election, but the seat is still up in November because that's how Congress works. So you run in the special race, and it's like sometimes you remember how whenever we'd have someone like you know, when Kamala Harris became Vice president, there was the race to replace her in the Senate where you voted for them twice. You voted for them to do the entire term, but also to fill out the remainder of the first term, which was like January, it's for a full two.
Speaker 4: Year term in Congress. Now, this special runoff race featured plenty of spending by outside groups, mostly favoring Melissa Hernandez. You might not have seen the last of those ads. Congress Member elect Wahabb tells us she's glad her district saw through them though, and still came out to support what.
Speaker 3: Was in that ad.
Speaker 5: Well, this was one of these races where Apak played a real heavy role, and she ran hard against supporting Israel.
Speaker 4: Despite it being a lower turnout special election in the middle of summer.
Speaker 2: The amount of money was obscene and grotesque, right, And you know my opponent didn't diny.
Speaker 3: Typically in that district, when someone says obscene and grotesque, you think they're talking about Eric Swalwell.
Speaker 1: Well, it's usually a safe bet bounce.
Speaker 2: The money did not denounce. You know the fact that outside DC influence was coming in so hard in this district, and so I knew that it was going to be close. Obviously, I'm not the biggest fan of like how close it was, But at the same time, I'm very proud because I knew that, you know, we would get more and more voters that saw through it.
Speaker 5: Now, this is going to be a weird one because the Democratic Party did not want her. They did not want her to run in this race. They came out heavily against her, including the chair of the California Democratic Caucus, Joe Lofgren, and she put a video out attacking this woman at the last minute. And now she's going to be a voting member of Congress, and she's going to be part of the Democratic Caucus, not only the overall Democratic Caucus, but the California Democratic Caucus. It'll be interesting to see if they try to make nice with her right away or they just go all in this woman who lost to her in the general election.
Speaker 3: I mean, the takeover is happening this seat. Maybe they can change it back in November, maybe not, but already so many members of Congress that were regular blue dog Democrats are flipping to DSA good luck with all that or We spoke.
Speaker 4: With runner up Melissa Hernandez. She says she's looking forward to the rematch in November. She says the new Prop fifty district lines will include twenty six thousand more voters.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is interesting. So the race to replace Swallowell in the special election was before they drew the lines all crazy with Prop fifty. The November election will have the new lines. Maybe that changes the map.
Speaker 5: And one of the reasons that they don't like this woman, the woman that won the election, is because they did not want this to go to a runoff. They wanted someone to get fifty plus one the first time around, because it's a heavily democratic seat, so some Democrat is going to represent that district, whether it's her or someone else. And what they didn't want to happen is they didn't want two Democrats to go to a runoff. Why because it keeps that seat vacant for a longer period of time. The House is so closely divided, having this seat empty hurts the Democrats and they've lost some votes by one vote. Had they filled this seat, they wouldn't have lost those votes by one vote. So they blame this woman, this Ayisha Wahab, for losing any number of votes between when the seat became vacant and now, and that's why they don't like her. It's not that they have a problem with her politics. They just think that she got in the way and she prevented a Democrat from being a voting member sooner rather than later.
Speaker 4: In a city she's very familiar with.
Speaker 8: I will gain Dublin back, the city that I was mayor in and seeing that I will be able to gain you know, thousands of more voters there. The district's change, remember the district's change a lot. We will have a triple size of the election in November. Our team has done an amazing, amazing job to be able to close a gap by twenty points you lost.
Speaker 3: That's one way to put lipstick on a pig.
Speaker 8: I think folks need to remember that.
Speaker 4: Now all eyes turned to November for the race that will see these two candidates face each other for a fourth time. Wahab will finish out her term in the state.
Speaker 3: How about that, four different elections with these people in the span of a year.
Speaker 5: All because Eric Swalwell could not behave himself senate.
Speaker 4: Next week, she says she's eager to get to work helping set up her congressional office in Washington.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been race in all of this, Thank you, Kiara, because of disgraced former Bay Area Congressman Eric Swawoll.
Speaker 3: You gotta love that his first name has become disgraced.
Speaker 5: No one deserves it more than him, no one.
Speaker 3: He was so smug about it too.
Speaker 6: Now the target of FBI search warrants in the section.
Speaker 3: I mean, this guy attracted so much attention on himself. Remember when he announced he was running for governor. He did it on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.
Speaker 5: He did, and he got a ton of boldface named Democrats to get behind his campaign almost immediately, a lot of celebrities too.
Speaker 6: Yeek's conduct probe against him, we've learned FBI agents sees swat.
Speaker 3: How about uh? You remember Ian Calderon who also ran for governor, and he was the one person that took upon the letter that the lower polling candidates should drop out. So he drops out endorses Swallowell. Oh yeah, talk about betting on the loop losing horse. Not only did he bet on the losing horse, he bet on the horse it's going to end up becoming Salisbury Steak.
Speaker 6: Oh Well's electronic devices at San Francisco International airport right after he landed there over the weekend, and on Sunday, agents raided his home in Washington, d C News.
Speaker 5: I love that they got him when he landed, and I hope they got to him before he had a chance to go to the bathroom, because after a long flight, that's the first thing that everyone does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you got to make sure you go to the gate that didn't just deplane, because there'll be a lot smaller of a line.
Speaker 6: Just comes months after the former lawmaker resigned from Congress and ended his bid for governor over multiple allegations of sexual assault and other misconduct from several women. I spoke with CBS legal analyst Jessica Levinson earlier about why the federal government is getting involved in the case.
Speaker 9: We're not looking at an allegation that somebody who happens to be a member of Congress perpetrated an alleged sexual assault. If there's a federal crime, it would have to be based on the idea that Swallow, as a member of Congress, use the trappings of that office in order to perpetrate the alleged crimes.
Speaker 3: Well, we know he did that. We allegedly from all of the evidence that we have from his former staffers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was a massive celebrity within the resistance. All of those people looked at him like he was an A list movie star. He enjoyed being that celebrity, and as you correctly pointed out, he used that celebrity not just to get bookings on CNN and MSNBC, where he lived, but he also did Kimmel, he did the late night shows. He was a regular on the entertainment circuit.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to keep a straight face and be a professional broadcaster, and you commenters make it really difficult when you write things in the chat like he bang Bang Fang.
Speaker 6: Earlier this week, the White House also released declassified documents on the FBI's investigation into Swalwell's romantic relationship with a suspected Chinese spy.
Speaker 3: It's unclear they lied about that one. That's what we know.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, though, is she still alleged to be a spy?
Speaker 3: I thought we confirmed that now she's a spy at this point, or she was a spy.
Speaker 6: If the search warrants are related to that. Swalwell's team has not yet responded to requests for comment. He has denied the sexual assault allegations.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that.
Speaker 5: Just think about this for a second in an alternate world. In an alternate world before this scandal broke, had everything just continued at the same pace that it was on, he would have finished first in the governor's race. Hilton would have finished second. They would both be on the November ballot. Swalwell would be the heavy favorite to be the next governor of the state of California. Jimmy Gomez would be one of the leading voices within the California Democratic Caucus in the House of Representatives on the fast crack to leadership. The DSA would be taking over his congressional seed. Could you imagine living in that world.
Speaker 3: Well, here's a fascinating hypothetical to think about. Because this all dropped just a few weeks before the June primary. He still got like twenty thousand votes, which is fascinating. But what if you had a situation where the story didn't drop in April and Swawell gets that top spot, Hilton gets the second spot. Scandal drops in the summertime, and vote have to decide to either go on full tribalism and defend this guy or throw him under the bus what happens, well.
Speaker 5: I think what would have happened differently under those circumstances is that instead of believing the women, the Democrats would call them lying whores. I think that's what would have happened, because the timing was key. They could defend the women and get behind another viable Democrat because they still had time. The absentee ballots had not gone out in the mail yet. If it happened later on where their only option was to abandon him and give the seat to Steve Hilton, I don't think they would have done that because that's four years of union contracts, that's four years of state budgets. That's four years of money to the homeless industrial complex. That's four years of appointing judges who won't look the other way.
Speaker 1: That's four years.
Speaker 5: Of appointing people to the California Energy Commission, the Public Utilities Commission, the UC Board of Regents, the cal State Trustees, the parole boards, all of those things. So much of the power in state government is not within that office itself.
Speaker 1: That office has the power.
Speaker 5: To appoint people to positions where they can then exercise the power that they have to determine how we live our lives. Don't forget this big decision by the California Energy Commission. It was not something that Gavin signed into law. It was not something that the legislature voted on. It was power delegated to this board by the Electeds. But it was the board and Nancy Skinner that decided to ban seventy percent of the tires. You think for one moment they'd give that to Steve Hilton just to punish a rapist.
Speaker 1: I don't buy it.
Speaker 5: I think they would have turned on these women like you wouldn't believe. That's what I think would have happened.
Speaker 3: People have got to stop putting in the chat Fengfeng bang bang. I am getting so distracted. It's the John Phillips Show.
Speaker 5: If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: And Randy.
Speaker 5: If you want to watch the show live and participate in the chat and most importantly, click that like button, you can do that easily at Johnny don't like dot com.
Speaker 3: That's Johnny with a why Johnny don't like dot com? And occasionally I get this email. I don't know why don't put in www dot Nobody does that anymore. Just Johnny don't like dot Com takes you right to the YouTube channel. Hit subscribes. All of our content goes to your homepage. Hit the bell if you want to be notified when we go live, hit the thumbs up button. So YouTube recommends us to new people, and play around in the chat room. We've got a very specific scientific poll going on right now. Let us know what you think your approval rating for Gavin Newsom's job performance. Currently, according to the listeners and watchers of this show, Gavin Newsom has a ninety eight percent disapproval rating. And this is as scientific of a poll, by the way as that fake poll that Karen Bass put out.
Speaker 5: And if you're looking for content over the weekend, definitely check out the accountability podcast.
Speaker 3: Accountability Accountability, Accountability, The Accountability Podcast, our weekly celebration of the most useless fake word in the English language, accountability. It means nothing, but we brought on Seneca Scott to go after Sheng Tau and Rob Bonta. And you've got to watch it. You've got to leave a comment on it. Hit the like button. And share it with your friends, anybody that lives in the East Bay. We'll love to know the real truth that was dropped on that accountability podcast.
Speaker 5: And we're going on the road to the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 3: We are. I have to not look at the chat while I do this. We're going to be at the Pineapple Hills Saloon and grill On. I'm turning into Jimmy Fallon. I'm breaking throughout the entire show. On Friday, September fourth, two weeks from today, We're going to be at Pineapple Hill and I can't wait for y'all to come, have a great meal, have a great drink or two, and watch us do the show with our friends from the Howard Jarvis tax Bears Association. We love the Pineapple Hill and we love you guys, so make sure you come out and see us two weeks from today. All right. The comment that got me was from leave it to Stevie at Randy Wang Radio. Hey, I suggest the next live show should be at the exact room that the feg Fang bang swallwell playing William Hung in the background. Guys are killing me.
Speaker 5: If you want to watch us perform the show, I'd go to Johnny don't like dot com and click that like button. We're doing well with the likes, but let's get that number as high as possible. It helps us push the show in front of new eyes and new ears.
Speaker 3: There's a new little game going on in the chat room. They try to distract me while I'm doing a live read, and it didn't work last time, but it'll probably work next time.
Speaker 1: Well, that'll shut it down.
Speaker 3: Make sure to participate in our very scientific fall Gavin Newsom's approval rating. Currently, he has a ninety eight percent disapproval rating with this audience.
Speaker 5: All right, Randy, it's time to open up the California crime blodder.
Speaker 3: It's happened yet again. Nice see. Time for the California crime blodder.
Speaker 5: As if these people haven't suffered enough, this edition of the Blotter takes us to Pacific Palisades. People who are trying to rebuild their burned down line in the Pacific Palisades are having things stolen from the construction sites.
Speaker 3: Come on for more on this. We got a KTLA five now.
Speaker 10: At ten thirty. Residents in the fire ravage Pacific Palisades are facing security and construction challenges tonight, as they try to rebuild their homes and their lives, they are taking security into their own hands by blocking streets with barricades and hiring private security to protect their property.
Speaker 3: They're bringing down the barricades. What is this lame? Is?
Speaker 1: You know what it reminds me of.
Speaker 5: In the days of old Egypt, people would break into the pyramids and steal all the jewels from the dead.
Speaker 6: Ktl Is Carlos San Sandel joins us Live for the Palisades with more on the ongoing looting problem hampering the reconstruction effort.
Speaker 3: Carlos, there really are truly people that are definitely going to hell out there, including the people that looted these homes while they were on fire and the people looting these homes while they're trying to be rebuilt.
Speaker 11: Be can share residents here the Palisades have been through so much, and with rebuilding now underway, they're having to deal with thieves targeting construction sites. With city resources stretched thin, some say they're being forced out to take matters into their own hands.
Speaker 3: What does that mean, little vigilante justice.
Speaker 5: Maybe they're going to send in some muscle. How about our guy from Sacramento.
Speaker 12: This is the people and the neighbors coming together to solve the problem, saying, hey, do you want your brand new pipes stolen again after they burned out?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 12: I don't been.
Speaker 3: How is the city not trying to protect these people?
Speaker 11: Poor lady heading together to keep crooks out. Palisades resident Morgan Goldberg posted this video on her Instagram after thieves orreeted several properties under construction in her burned out neighborhood.
Speaker 12: I have about ten homes on my street. There have been over a half a dozen break ins. They've taken everything from tools, equipment, copper wire. They've broken into canisters multiple times like something like that, and it doesn't stop them. They come back two or three times.
Speaker 3: You know exactly where they're going to strike. LAPD.
Speaker 5: What the hell, well, meth heads, they don't care about the fires or the fire victims. They just know that there's copper wire up there and things of value.
Speaker 11: Like many who lost everything during the Palisades fire, She's trying to rebuild, but there's been setbacks along the way, crime being one of them. LAPD recorded eight burglaries in the area in June alone.
Speaker 5: Crime is down though, right, Oh yeah, you see we're too dumb to understand statistics. But if we understood what the words that were coming out of our bass's mouth, we would know that crime is really low.
Speaker 3: She was just on that debate stage in Sherman, Oh talking about how we're at sixty year historic lows.
Speaker 11: It has amounted to thousands of dollars in stolen tools and equipment from storage containers. Frustrated residents are taking matters into their own hands, and.
Speaker 12: The neighbors have put together a pretty active neighborhood watch in some instances where they create a blockade or just some kind of presence to thwart any activity criminals coming down the streets.
Speaker 11: Aside from hiring.
Speaker 3: They catch one of these guys. Do you think they bring the baseball bets?
Speaker 5: I think the people of the Pacific Palisades are just about on their last nerve, and I wouldn't want to be the person that pisses them off. After they've been dealing with the fire, the insurance company, the permits, dealing with contractors, and then they finally get their hands on supplies, and then some crackhead comes and steals them.
Speaker 11: Private security which can be costly given the already high price tag of rebuilding. One neighbor created an app using AI to sync up surveillance cameras, alerting of any activity in the area.
Speaker 3: But that's like straight up Batman level.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, sendents want more police patrols, especially at night. Last month, councilwoman Tracy Park sent this letter to LPED leaders requesting additional resources to enhance public safety. Per office says, they are so lucky.
Speaker 5: The one thing they have going for them is the Tracy Park is their member on the council, because if they had any of those other idiots, they'd probably be lobbying the mayor to send in more bums.
Speaker 11: Since allocated four more officers. But is that enough.
Speaker 13: No, it's not need to address these issues.
Speaker 12: We need to create a police force that is present, that's funded and supported.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not getting that. This is the city of Los Angele. You're better off incorporating the Palisades into its own city.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 11: Residents say they will continue to speak out demanding enhance public safety while watching out after one another. We're live in the Palisades, Carlos Salceto kt L five News.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what they do. Maybe the Palisades needs to go ahead and start the process of incorporating into its own city like Calabasas, like Burbank, what have you, and then they can make Spencer prat their mayor.
Speaker 5: Well, there have been movements within the City of Los Angeles to do just that, including in the port area of San Pedro. Hollywood tried it, and most famously, the San Fernando Valley tried it.
Speaker 3: It just didn't work. Yeah, if you know what, can't blame me for that one. I wasn't old enough to vote. But the valley secession movement going away in exchange for neighborhood councils that mean nothing was a terrible, terrible, terrible move. The valley should have split from the City of Los Angeles a long time ago.
Speaker 5: So that's what's going on in Pacific Palisades. But Randy, there's more crime to talk about. So let's reopen the Blotter's dummy.
Speaker 1: We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried.
Speaker 3: I said, hell no, baby boy, let me get up one out of here. It's the California Crime Bloater.
Speaker 5: And this edition of the Blotter takes us to South LA where a big chase happened yesterday where someone was driving around in a stolen motorcycle.
Speaker 3: For more, here's NBCLA.
Speaker 13: This is really scary considering what this guy's wanted for.
Speaker 14: In a chase full of dangerous moments, this might have been the most frightening. A man on a dirt bike speeding through a busy park in South La. The driver at one point filling up at a gas station.
Speaker 3: Okay, explain to me how when we've got to chase all the news cameras are on it. You have lines and lines of cop cars and the ghetto birds following this guy, he has time to fill up at the pump.
Speaker 5: Whenever I'm in a hurry, I can't ever get the gas pump to read my credit card correctly.
Speaker 14: And driving off with a hose attached to the bike.
Speaker 1: NBC four Right, that's rude.
Speaker 14: He is Chase live during the news tonight at six and it ended shortly after he ditched the bike and then tried to hide right there. You saw it in that blue recycling bin in someone's driveway, and.
Speaker 1: Well, time to take out the trash.
Speaker 3: You know, there are some days where the crime stories in southern California seem like they are straight out of looney Tunes. This is one of these days.
Speaker 14: BCO. Tracy Long live at LAPD headquarters with new information for us.
Speaker 13: Tracy, Yeah, Carolyn, I'm actually live in South LA at the gas station where that rider made a stop at during his pursuit. Now, the entire chase.
Speaker 3: Last, how do you let him stop at a gas station and fill up?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think it's like the old days where they're in hot pursuit and they're right behind him the entire time. Don't they follow him with drones or a helicopter.
Speaker 3: Now, if they were falling with drones, they could have used a drone to take him out.
Speaker 13: Sid about an hour and it ended when he ran out of gas and tried to run, but was ultimately arrested. Take a look as the dirtbike rider makes a pit stop with police still chasing him, trying to refuel. He takes off with the pumpose still attached on Alameda Street in Huntington Park.
Speaker 3: That's not a massive fire hazard or anything.
Speaker 5: Nope, he's dripping Chevron with tech run all over the place.
Speaker 13: Around six twenty Wednesday evening. At this point, LAPD officers had been chasing him for nearly thirty minutes. It began near Dodger Stadium around five point forty five after police received report that the writer may have been armed.
Speaker 1: It looks like he's at lexing here for the officers.
Speaker 13: News Chopper four was overhead as he continued on surface streets.
Speaker 3: Oh great, this jackass was doing stunts on the motorcycle while running from the cops.
Speaker 1: He struck a pose.
Speaker 13: Through Compton, appearing to stand up on the dirt bike and pull out a cell phone.
Speaker 3: You can see a lot of folks out. I gotta get this for TikTok.
Speaker 5: It was a ravishing rick Rude superposed down about.
Speaker 13: The rider then cuts through several busy parks in the Willowbrook area, where one is full of young football players practicing parkoers describing what they saw.
Speaker 15: Like I really thought that they were just riding by on their bikes and just playing around, so it didn't come across as danger until the helicopters and police cars started closing in. And then that's when we noticed that it was like danger.
Speaker 3: That's when you realize I'm playing football in the middle of a crime scene.
Speaker 5: Well, usually if you combine football with criminal activity, it's a Raiders game.
Speaker 13: Eventually, the rider ends up back on surface streets in the Harbor Gateway area for several other dirt bikes.
Speaker 3: I will never understand how, in a city that is famous for having the worst traffic imaginable, where major thoroughfares and freeways are jammed at all hours of the day, whenever one of these chases happens, the roads are wide open.
Speaker 13: Riders appear to join him during this dangerous pursuit, and you can see LAPD officers wait.
Speaker 1: People joined in.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, because we live in the idiot capital of the world, and I think it's time for my first mention of the day. I've got to get out of Los Angeles behind.
Speaker 8: I got him.
Speaker 13: The rider eventually ditches his bike and is seen running through several backyards before trying to hide in a blue recycling.
Speaker 3: And by the way. Whenever the chase gets to this point, they found him fairly quickly. Sometimes they don't find them quickly. Sometimes they don't find them at all. And what happens, Because this has happened in my neighborhood several times, you'll hear the ghetto bird, the police helicopter circling your neighborhood over and over and over and over again, and when that's happening at two o'clock in the morning, it scares the living daylights out of you.
Speaker 5: It's too bad it wasn't trash day, because I'd like to see this guy get crushed like a can of cactus cooler.
Speaker 13: When officers pull up, the man is seen walking towards them with his hands up where he's thet arrested and taken into custody around six forty five PM near one hundred and twelfth Street and Broadway in the Westmont area of South LA.
Speaker 5: I think you'll get a ticket for this. Oh, it's going to be a slap on the wrist. He'll probably get in more trouble for dripping all the gasoline all over town and the environmental hazard that that caused, then all the other stuff.
Speaker 13: Police say the rider is in his early twenties and the bike was reported stolen. Officers also believe that the rider may have thrown out his firearm during the pursuit. So far, they've been unable to locate it right now. He is facing charges felony charges of evading officers and possession of a stolen vehicle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but neither of those are violent crimes. So even if convicted, he wouldn't go to prison.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I wonder who picked up the gun, because wasn't it when school was out when he threw the gun off the motorcycle?
Speaker 13: Yep, Reporting live in South LA Tracy Lingong, NBC four News.
Speaker 14: Tracy, thank you there.
Speaker 3: You go, just straight up bedlam in Los Angeles every single day.
Speaker 5: And if you're one of the idiots that decided to join in on this, have a little class. If you want to watch the show performed live, I've go to Johnny donotlike dot com. That's Johnny dontlike dot com And most importantly, hit that like button. It spreads the show in front of new members of the audience on YouTube. It really helps push us far and wide. So if you haven't clicked that like button, please click that like button. And if you already have, thank you so much for doing that.
Speaker 3: We've got the poll going on right now. Gavin Newsom's approval rating at ninety eight percent disapproval And this one got me as we were coming back from break listener Big Angry Phil, Gavin Newsom is less likable than toe Rot.
Speaker 5: All right, with all the problems in this state, our dearly elected leaders are now dealing with the pressing issue of whether or not school mascots are offensive.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, it was a state law that was passed that said, any high school that happens to have a school mascot that depicts some kind of Native American, the stereotype has got to go unless they get the specific approval from a local tribe that they have no problem with it. My high school, Heart High and New Hall had to drop their mascot the Indians. Now they're the Heart High Hawks, and just wait till the animal rights activists say that that's offensive.
Speaker 5: What mascot name would make Sacramento happy? The San Diego State Nick Shirley's penises.
Speaker 3: For more on one high school that said we're keeping our Indian mascot. Here is CBS News in Sacramento say.
Speaker 16: Moves to get schools to drop native mascots. One local school is bucking the trend, saying they will keep the Indian as their emblem with the support from a local tribe. So far, it's one of only two California high schools to keep the name. The other is in Palm Springs. Here's Ashley Williams joining us now with Rippin High School announcement of keeping the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah Tellny.
Speaker 17: The school district made the announcement just yesterday, saying they got authorization to keep the name from the California Valley Miwok tribe. But the tribe says they do not find the mascot name offensive.
Speaker 3: When all of this was going on, I mean, did they ask the actual Native Americans if they found names like Indian that offensive.
Speaker 17: This is the one step any school can actually take to keep their mascot. The Saint Law took effect back on July first. It requires public schools to drop certain Native American terms from being used as school mascots. That is, unless they get consent from a tribe. Rippinhei has had the Indian mascot for more than one hundred years. We did speak with the school's Social studies department head today, who helped lead the push in keeping the name. He believes this is a way to build a relationship with local tribes. He's also been in contact with the tribe's chairman to strengthen that.
Speaker 7: I've encouraged her to come on to campus to look around.
Speaker 3: I got to imagine a lot of the tribes don't care about the imagery that we're talking about, because I've seen some of the commercials for these tribal casinos.
Speaker 5: No, so what you're supposed to cut a deal with them and turn the mascot and the ultimate textas hold them.
Speaker 7: To see if there's any kind of images or any of the media that we send out that's inappropriate, and we would love to change anything that would be deemed inappropriate in there.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you how stupid this is. And my school district longtime rivalry for many many years between the Hard High Indians and the Canyon Country Cowboys, so it was Cowboys versus Indians. Those were the school rivalries in football for years and years and years, and now it's the Cowboys versus the Hawks.
Speaker 5: By the way, after taking one look at that social studies teacher, I can tell you that every single student in his class who cheats gets away with it.
Speaker 17: Email of support the Tribes CHEERPERSONVI Burley said the tribe has a rich culture in the area, adding they are proud to know the high school is continuing to honor Indigenous people by respectfully using the Indian mascot, and it was earlier this year Marysville High School dropped their Indian mascot after they could not get consent from a local tribe. Instead, they will remain Tony without a mascot, all right.
Speaker 3: Just no mascot. That's where we're going to end.
Speaker 16: Up approval of the local tribes to get it.
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 16: Actually, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is new at.
Speaker 3: Five, So there you go. One high school said, now we're keeping our mascot. It says Indians and the people who are the Native Americans in the local area, they're not offended by it.
Speaker 5: So what are we going to be left with? Animals, colors, weather systems.
Speaker 3: Well, whatever the hell the a's are supposed to be.
Speaker 17: And we still got our Oakland a's baby.
Speaker 3: Now you don't.
Speaker 5: All right, We've got one more hour coming up on the John Phillips Show.
Speaker 1: We're going to get more into this.
Speaker 5: California Entergy commissioned deciding that seventy percent of the tires that you now have available to you on the market need to go away, and it's for your own good, so you better like it or else.