Speaker 1: Joining us on the UMA guest Line.
Speaker 2: Matt Mayoko does a great job covering the Niners for NBC Sports Bay Area, and he's with on the UMA Guest Line to talk a little bit about the Niners.
Speaker 1: Eight days into training camp. Matt, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, enjoying this Friday. Don't have to get in my car and drive to Santa Clara. So uh, we'll be back at it on on Saturday and Sunday when the traffic's a little bit lighter. But no, everything's everything's going well. We're both enjoying camp, are we.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's always It's always enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Now you are the pro who has the big camp hat.
Speaker 1: I did buy a big camp hat. I just haven't been able to really. It's like I can't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I feel like I can't wear it. I you know, I'm wearing baseball hats. I've got other hats because I just don't. I can't wear I bought like a World Cup sombrero, and it's just I don't know. I feel like it's gonna be too big of a statement to wear it out there. So I've kind of I have it, but I haven't actually busted it out.
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 3: I even saw you wearing a backwards hat the other day. Yes, I was, yeah, I mean you look like you know, you got the baggy shorts. He got the backwards hat. You're you're appealing to the young crowd. Craig, there you.
Speaker 1: Go, Thank you, thank you? Yes.
Speaker 2: Uh So, then I don't get you know, people donating to my channel saying calling me unk.
Speaker 1: I'm getting a lot of a lot of unk lately.
Speaker 2: You know what I want to ask you about Raheem Morris, because Jade Dugger, the rookie from Louisiana, is a very unique prospect. He was he's very young, he's the youngest guy on the team. He's long, he's rangey, thirty five inch arms. But he was running with the first team defense this week and that kind of surprised me. Obviously it's a very positive sign. But then we kind of heard from Drake Greenlaw, the Fever linebacker. He mentioned the Fever linebacker, and then Raheem's talking about, you know, kind of that hybrid player who's a kind of a star player, or he used the word a spinner outside edge of fender who can cover the slot receiver and tackle the running back and rush the pastor And I feel like this is kind of a new frontier here.
Speaker 1: What are you axpecting?
Speaker 2: Do you think Jaden Dugger is kind of a one of one or does he fit into a category with guys like Nick Martin and Larry Wirth. I mean, it is interesting. It's a whole new kind of wrinkle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's completely different than those guys. And you know, I do want to get Raheem at some point to explain and maybe the next time he's up there, you know, kind of explain maybe the job descriptions of those different titles. But the way I see it is, you know, they're certainly doing whether it's experimenting or whether it's this is what we're doing. I think it'll be a little bit of both here in training camp and certainly in the joint practices and everything else. But I think Jaden Dugger's background makes him uniquely qualified for what the forty nine ers are looking for they deploy more of those five man fronts. You know, he's got the size, he's got the length, he's got the athleticism, he's got the versatility. He played safety at Georgetown, he played edge at Louisiana Lafayette. Then he played stack linebacker Louisiana Lafayette, so he's done a little bit of everything. And when you have a five man line and if they're only defensive lineman, there's going to be some shortcomings because quite obviously on passing situations, not all five guys are going to be rushing on the same play, So there will be times when that happens, but there will be a lot of dropping and trying to create confusion for the offensive line and for the quarterback. And so Douger gives them a guy that is, you know, would be I think by definition their best cover guy dropping into coverage, but he also has the pass rush skills to do that as well as playing the run and everything else. So I think for what the forty nine ers are looking at, I think that makes a lot more sense than saying, have Luke Gifford as the third linebacker or you know the linebacker slash d n that hybrid guy who's you know, lines up on the at the line of screamage. So I do think that early on, even when they drafted him, he kind of thought like, Okay, how exactly does he fit? And now as we watch practice two weeks into practice, now we can see like, okay, that makes a lot of sense why they would take him and how they can find a way to get him on the field right away.
Speaker 2: Matt, I've seen reports of twenty guy the ninety man camp roster dinged up. Some of these guys are it's more precautionary. I think that if there was a game, they probably would be playing.
Speaker 1: But still it's a lot of injured guys.
Speaker 2: Chris Fister was asked the question the other day at the presser, Hey, are the joint practices with the Titans, you know in Jeopardy? And he made it seem like absolutely, not that it's like a full go, But then the way he kind of stated it, it almost sounded like, you know, maybe like he's obviously it's not his call directly, but he is kind of the messenger at this point. Do you do you think that the Tennessee joint practice is is it up in the air, Do you think it's a slam dunk that it's gonna happen, or do you think first or kind.
Speaker 3: Of I don't know, I would think that they're gonna happen. It's gonna happen. Uh, but we'll see. I mean, I'm gonna stake my you know, my claim on that one. But you know, for the Titans, they would want to know. I mean, if if we were to happen, I think they would have or if it wasn't gonna happen, I would think that they would have already canceled it because the Titans aren't going to be coming out here. What would that be three days early for a preseason game, So you know, they have to kind of figure out what they're going to do. If you know, they're not going to fly out on a Monday to practice on Tuesday in Santa Clara and then the game's on Thursday, so that's when the practice is scheduled to happen. The joint practice would be on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm less alarmed by the actual reality of the injuries during training camp than just putting out the list every day. Of these are the guys who aren't practicing. I mean, the one, the one injury that's the big one, and I think it's far and away the biggest one. And I don't even know if there's a number two injury that would be a reason for concern. It's Ricky Piersoll. Why because he's out for the season. He's not going to play this season. But every other injury. Maybe next on the list would probably be Vederian Low, the swing tackle, who got injured on the very first day of practice and has a high inkle spring, so that's usually a four to six week injury. But I don't know that any of the other injuries. Maybe Jacob Cowing with the hip flexer, I don't know. I mean, I don't know that any of these are at all concerning as it relates to impacting the regular season. You know, the adductor injury of Kylon Black, it depends on how serious that is. Kean White has the same injury, at least described the same way, the adductor, which is basically growing. But I really see him out there. I already see him out there working. I don't think the Mike Evans thing is any big deal. I don't think Christian Kirk at this point is a big deal because it looks like he's running pretty well. Stribbling is already back. So you know the one that I thought, oh, that could be a bad one was Grayson Halton. You know, a bone bruise of the knee. We've seen that turn into something bad, but he's already back and making an impact felt. So I don't see the injury situation. I know, you know, people love to talk about it because of where that practice facility is located and everything else in the history, but I don't at this point. Again, I mean, things can change, but at this point, I don't see the forty nine ers being that adversely impacted from by injuries other than pearsall. I mean, I look around the league and I see, you know, Jayalen Walker with the Falcons out for the year, Nick Scorton out for the year, the other the draft pick for the Panthers as well, Chris Brasel out for the year. So and the New York Giants lost their seventeen games starting nose tackle out for the year. So I don't see. To me, the bigger concern is when's Kittle coming back. When's mikeel Williams coming back off the pup list from injuries last year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think you're right, and we don't know the answer to those questions quite yet. Robert Jones suddenly, out of nowhere went from the backup to Connor Colby at left guard to the starter at left guard, with Colby running with the twos and threes and running some reps at right guard. Do you think this is a momentary thing? I mean, Barrows had written a piece that Colby had commandeered this job, and it's almost like the niners said, hey, hey, no, he has it, you know we Jones has got to say some say here too. It's like, literally, after that story hit the press, it's like Jones was inserted as the starter at left guard. Do you think Jones is going to be the starter at left guard or do you think it's he's the starter for the moment?
Speaker 3: I would I would think it's still Connor Colby. But that was interesting I did early in training camp. I asked Chris Furster, you know, is it possible that there's no competition? You know, is it possible because open competition implies that one guy's running with the ones one day, the next day or maybe even later in the same practice, the other guy's running with the ones, and they have a competition. And it appeared to me that if cole Be Kolbe was just going to stay in that job as long as he gave the forty nine ers, no reason to replace him first also said that, well, yeah, we'll end up going with the best guy, but if the best guy is Connor Colby from start to finish, then then what you said is true. There won't be any kind of back and forth. Let's have this guy work with the one. So it was a little bit surprising, and to me, it's an indication that whatever they're they're looking at behind the scenes, film study, everything else, player evaluation looks to me like it means that it's not a fait a company that Connor Colby is the starter. I don't know that Robert Jones had a great day of practice yesterday when he was running with the ones, so I would still kind of expect Colby to be that. But I think it's also probably a reason for concern that they felt the need to put somebody else in there, because ideally you'd want your five guarding guys to just line up day one and be that way, no deviations at all through the end of the season, and that certainly wasn't the case. So certainly be watching on practice during practice on Saturday to see who's out there with the ones.
Speaker 2: Two quick hitters will Pauling, Junior berg and Jordan Watkins. All these guys to me look like they're outshining Jacob Cowing. Bergins really surprised me. But I while Pat Pauling is coming on, he looks very solid catching punts. Watkins looks bigger, stronger, faster. Do you see the same thing I'm seeing that It seems like Cowing is falling behind these other receivers.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say falling behind the other receivers, but his ticket is not as a receiver. I mean, what's the same way that that Sky Moore, you know, was a factor for the forty hours last year. He was a factor without ever really stepping on the field and playing offense. So Pauling is interesting. He would be kind of a guy that could come out of the out of the shadows and win that job. To meet Jordan Walkins seems a little less comfortable handling punts. That's the key. Whoever is the most sure handed, the most reliable, the most comfortable handling punts is going to be one of the receivers on the team and one of the guys who's going to have a uniform on game days. So I still think it's it's Cowing. However, this hip flexer that we just talked about, if that keeps him out a period of time, then that does open the door for somebody else. But I would agree, as far as you know plays being made as a wide receiver Cowing, it hasn't been able to you know, last year he had a lot of momentum going into camp and got injured. This year, you know, the ford AMers expected him to kind of step in where he left off last year before he missed the entire season, and I don't know that that's happened, so that there is is definitely a lot of gray area when it comes to how that wide receiver depth chart will look and how the punt return aspect will really impact their final decision, because it certainly looks like Deebo Samuel is going to be the kickoff returner, but now who's going to be the punt returner.
Speaker 2: Matt Mioko with us on the Yuma Guest Line, covers the Niners for NBC Sports Bay Area and does an amazing job. Mattie will let you go, but today I'd be remiss if I didn't ask you one about our friend, our fallen friend, the Great late Great Dwight Clark. Today is August seventh. Today is my twenty seventh wedding anniversary, but it is also Dwight Clark Day. And you know, I grew up as a kid in this city. You know, I was eleven when he scored that touchdown in the corner of the end zone, and he was my idol. And then he became a friend of mine and we had a chance to go golf a few times and do some events, and I miss him terribly. I thought he was one of my favorite Niners, and then when I got to know him, he became.
Speaker 1: My favorite Niner.
Speaker 2: You got to spend a lot, a lot of time with him and did a lot of great things with d C before he passed, and got a chance to visit with him. Just your recollections, Dwight Clark before we let you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I remember watching the Catch on my couch in the U in northern California and little community Richfield, where we could only get two channels at the time, And to get to know him as you did. The private thing that strikes me is it was the most important play in forty nine Ers history and one of the most impactful plays in NFL history and for it to happen to the organization, for him to be the author of that play, he always joked, you know, to Joe Montana, they called it the catch, not the throw. For it for it to be him. He was the perfect person for that because of how he embraced it and how he made every fan who came up to him feel special, and when they would ask him about the play or whatever, he acted like it was always the first time anybody had ever come up to him and asked about that. And so I remember one time, going, man, does it ever? I'm sure we were someplace and two or three people came up to him separately and they walked away, and I said, does that ever get tiring for you to talk about that? And he just stopped dead in his tracks and he looked at me and he goes, would you ever get tired about talking about that play? And I'm like, you're absolutely not. I wouldn't get tired, and he goes, exactly. So he really embraced it, and he was the perfect guy to be the man who made the play that changed the organization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a kind soul he was, And man, I miss him. I miss him a lot. Maddy, great stuff man, you always doing an incredible stuff, incredible job. We love your segments on The Leader. Thanks for jumping on.
Speaker 3: All right, Urug, thanks so much. I'll see tomorrow