Speaker 1: On a Tuesday, Greg Silver, John Dickinson live from Berkeley, and we are going to talk a little forty nine ers right now after focusing on the Giants and the trade deadline. Stay tuned for Susan Slusster coming up at about an hour. But before we get to that, it is time to welcome in our good friend, also of the San Francisco Chronicle, one Eric Branch, who joins us on the UMA guest line. Branch long time, at least as far as it goes on the show, although we like to communicate frequently.
Speaker 2: How's it going, happy new season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've had a few stops and starts, so I apologize for previous cancellations, but the third time actually appears to be the charm.
Speaker 4: Well, every time, Branch that you're supposed to come on, it's some news breaks. So I I know your head is probably on a swivel right now as you talk to us, but are feverishly checking your messages and missed call logs.
Speaker 3: I would assume injury news is forth coming, right knowing this team having covered them for a while. Yeah, if we do breaking news today, it'll be that.
Speaker 1: But no, that's well, that's why I said, yeah, it was like, let's book him on the player's day off.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it'll be okay that way.
Speaker 1: But look, I mean, in all seriousness, when we had to postpone our last hit, it was for something that was unexpected, something that was really insightful and serious, and that was Kyle Shanahan calling the meeting with media to talk about the car accident, explained that there was a clerical error and that he was the one at fault. So just take us through that meeting where he was so emotional, feeling guilty for being at fault and how all of this has affected him as he's now making his way back to coaching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, in thinking about that, it really was, you know, surreal, just in that obviously increasingly in modern day professional sports, everything it's not stage, you know, you know, all the major principles are at a podium, they have their talking points, and this was not that. It was it was Kyle Shanahan behind his desk. You know, seven beat writers kind of circle circled around, and you know there's a pair of person in the back of John Lynch in the back, But it was really Kyle Shanahan, raw and very emotional, just talking. You know, initially he spoke off the record. It wasn't because what he was saying off the record, you know, he didn't you know, end up saying on the record. It was just wanted to I think he just wanted to be able to speak, you know, really kind of more a manned men. There are plenty of f woods you know that you didn't get at the podium, but it was just speaking and you know, from his heart, and so yeah, it was you know, obviously it's a unique situation with the car accident and then you know, you know everything that has followed, and so you know, I don't think any of us had obviously seen you know, Kyle and that you know, it wasn't like a forty nine Ers coach. It was more like, you know, was a forty eight year old man kind of bearing his soul. Eric.
Speaker 4: As far as Kyle's ability to to get back out on the field and and and have more of the day to day control of of everything that's going on there, what what have you seen as training camp has progressed here, uh, you know, through the last week and a half or so, as far as just you know, him taking on more of a role I've been out there a couple of days, but not every day because we're doing the show. So how have you seen him sort of increase his his uh, you know, control over everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of just you know, a little bit here and there, like little things like was it Saturday was the first day he you know, got up in front of the team and addressed them in a meeting. Yesterday was the first time he addressed them after practice, you know, in the huddle. It was a few days ago that you know, instead of you know, standing with John Lynch thirty yards behind the defense, he went on the offense like which is normal spot and actually you know, was doing you know, it's not coaching, doing some talking. Even things like it was a couple of days ago that he was right next to a speaker. I mean there's loud music, uh blaring during practice and John Lynch it said, you know earlier in training camp like let's relaxed with like the a CDC and uh, you know they fettle more soft rock. But you know, Kyle was like ten yards away from one of the speakers and it wasn't got rock, you know. So there are just these little things that indicate you know obviously that he's proceeding in You know, there's no quote Russian protocol for cooks and executives, but John Much just said they're kind of doing that, you know, taking a phased approach. You know, players have to complete five steps, and I think Shanahan is probably completing has to go through in more steps as the mixed progress.
Speaker 1: Talking to Eric Branch on the UMA guest line kind enough to join us on this Tuesday morning, love what you wrote about Dre Greenlaw. We were fortunate to have him on the show at training camp this last Friday. He just seems so happy and I asked him to use one word to describe being back here, if it was revived, if it was motivated, and the first one he settled on was thankful. Now you had the numbers, it was six hundred and fourteen days and two games for a guy that when he's on the field we all have seen up close, just hal Varoch as he is. Which reunion story do you think benefits the team more in the end, green Law or Deboo.
Speaker 3: I would settle on green Law. I don't have the numbers of the top of my head, but you know, I want to say he played in six sixty four games in his first you know, step with the forty nine ers, and if you look at their record when he played and when he did not play, it is stark. And I know, you know sometimes that can be well, yeah, whatever, It's not just Dray green Law. But I do think it gives a you know, hints that his his value. And when you pair him with Fred Warner, you know, those are two of the biggest badass linebackers in the NFL. And so I would say you meanwhile, you know, it comes with a caveat at As you mentioned, he went through a recent stratetchery. He played two games in six hundred woards. He's six hundred and fourteen days and didn't finish either of them. So, you know, he's twenty nine and he has obviously a pretty significant medical file at this point. And what makes them so special is, you know, the way he plays, you know, hair on fire, going all out, and so they're legitimate concerns in questions about his ability to hold up. But you know, the encouraging thing, you know from a forty nine years perspective is he said, you know, his body hasn't felt this good since about a month before the Super Bowl, so that would be what January twenty twenty four, And you know, so you know, if you can avoid an injury in training camp, unlike a lot of his teammates, then get to the season healthy, that would be you know, a significant step for him.
Speaker 4: And he's one of the few it feels at this point that that aren't dealing with some level of injury. I mean, how concerning It's always a story Eric that the camp injuries and just injuries in general with this team, But how concerning is the amount at this stage age of camp versus other years, and and just the fact that this continues to be an ongoing issue, almost despite anything the forty nine ers try to do to combat it, because they've tried a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, this comes on the heels of you know, they're nine million dollars into you know, upgrading their facilities. You know, more specifically, they're kind of hydro areas, added to three more physical therapists, change the training camp schedule. Instead of a regular practice, they've inserted a jog through so they don't have you know, they'll have back to back practices, a day off, a practice, a day off I'm sure I shouldn't say day off. The jog through is in there so just designed to let wearn't hair. And yet you know, it's still kind of a similar situation. The other day they have seventeen different alignment on the ninety man roster. They had eight healthy defensive linemen to finish a practice. You look at the wide receivers right now, they don't have you know, what would be the top three. Ricky pearsall obviously out with season ending knee surgery, Mike Evans with a quadrice up, Sean stribbling with a hamstring. You know, we could go on, but you know, Brent Boyer, the special teams coordinator, was talking about, you know, the punching competition, and he was saying, you know, hopefully we can have one, but you know, it could be the injuries, you know, make it that they can't have the luxury of having two punters. And of course we'll recall last year injuries or why they couldn't have you know, two kickers, and they had to release Greg Joseph and they gave the job to Jake mod Jake Moody Early and Shain Camp and obviously don't worked out. But the point being, yeah, it's days are blue ish.
Speaker 1: Eric Branch joining us on the UMA guest line. I want to go back to the twenty five predictions that you put out there, and you know, you went nine and eight no playoffs, and you left a lot of predictions out there and good reasons behind it, But just explain why you ultimately settled on a team that has high expectations, understands that a lot of their core players are only got so many limited shots left.
Speaker 2: What has got you concerned the most?
Speaker 1: Why you think this might be a slightly above five hundred season with no postseason?
Speaker 2: I mean, is it really the travel? Is it just age?
Speaker 1: Is it what we're already seeing with some of these injury scares cropping up again? Just wanted to elaborate on that one a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are you know, they will set an NFL record for most miles traveled. They do have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. They do play in the NFC West. That's four games against the Rams and Seahawks, and yeah, most of their you know, the players there leaning on the most heavily are you know, thirty and over. So I think because of that and just the you know, my assumption is increase are going to play you know, a role again, you know, just due to the age, if nothing else. That's why I was, you know at nine and eight and now you know, was I too optimistic? Now I'm just kidding. I mean, we haven't gotten to weak one, but uh, you know, uh anyway, those are the reasons I went into the nine and eight predictions.
Speaker 4: A couple of wide receiver questions for you branch Deebo Samuel. What what do you feel is the best way for the forty nine ers to use Deebo Samuel one? And because of the injuries, are they going to be afforded the luxury of using him in the way that's best suited for him and them as opposed to just needing him out there because he's one of the few guys that are that are held right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it could be. You know, we get to the season and it's like, oh, there's people playing wide receiver and then there Steve Boat playing way back and he's also returning kicks. And this is a guy who they waited and waited and waited to sign. You know, there was not a lash by the Queen Units to sign Deebo Samuel. You know, he's thirty years old. Obviously, I think it's safe to say, you know, he's not gonna replicate his all Pro breakout season at this point. So in an ideal world, Deeba Samuel, you know, is an excellent kickoff returner and then he helps you out, you know, at wide receiver. You know, he plays a role, but he doesn't have to, you know, try to play a starring role and he doesn't have to momate running back. So you know, we shall see. You know, the first step is they had to sign him because they don't have risky pearsall and you know they continue to do with injuries. You know, he brook the depth chart and you know, I don't think it's something then I saw you want to have happened.
Speaker 4: I also wanted to follow just on on Dejon stribbling, what what what did you see from him before he ended up needing to miss And I don't believe had he been out there in pads for for a day or had he gone out before. I'm getting maybe the days mixed up a little bit and was just has he impressed at least in the time he was out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it comes with the caution of like, oh, you know, it's practice. I believe he wasn't the first part of practice, and so you know, you hesitate to make snap judgments on rookies that said, Uh, he was just he's just very smooth. It looks fairly easy for him, and his catch radius is is impressive and his frame is impressive. And then you know, we haven't seen some of the other things, like none as a really elite runt blocker, which is a huge thing in's offfense. So the arrow was up, as they say, before he got hurt. Yeah. Now, having said that, it's tough to say you like I said, the exception of Adi Jenkins back in the day, who couldn't stand on the street and his first training camp practices and could catch the ball and you're like, huh, why did you pick this guy in the first round? So uh, usually, but usually you can't you don't necessarily say, hey, they hit or they hit or they missed. But you know, yeah, scribbling looked very very big before he had, you know, sit out.
Speaker 1: Final couple of minutes here with Eric Branch on the UMA guest line, Ricky Piersall individually for him just a real bummer. It's second practice back reaggravates the pc L. Now he's done for the season, how can they combat the loss of Peersal Because it's very clear that when he was healthy and right, and when he was either unavailable or playing limited, the offense looked very different in terms of field stretching, man to man, coverage, explosiveness. And while Deebo Samuel coming back is a welcome addition, very different player from what a healthy Ricky Pearsall brought you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is significant because you're right there, you know, on a kind of rare times where he's been healthy, he's really good. I mean, he clearly has the talent, he has first round ability, He's a very special route runner, you know, just the way he can disguise his raps. And so it is a significant loss. And like as discussed you know previously, you know, a healthy Ricky Piersall at this point and my estimation is far better than a thirty year old Devo Samuel. So you know, in effect, you know, Swappy us all for Samuel. You know, it's a pretty significant loss of that wide receiver corps.
Speaker 1: We didn't want to let you go either without talking about our favorite article that you've written out of the many great things lately in the SF Chronicle. That's, of course the piece you put out on Greg Papa over the weekend. And look, I don't really know what to say. I don't think I have a question on of it. I just want to say, very well done. I know that's the kind of thing you didn't necessarily want to write. We're all thinking of him every single day, and even as someone that's been pretty in the know with a lot of what you detailed in that piece, it was a really emotional read. So just thank you for putting that out there. I know that he really appreciates it, and we we miss him every single day on the show. But yeah, just just very proud of that piece and well done, Eric.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks very much. He really is remarkable, beyond obviously his career as the broadcast of it right now, Like that was two hours of talking with him, and he did most of the talking. I could have been into a cancer doctor or a lung specialist. I mean, he knows everything about everything that he's dealing with hostibly better than his doctors. And so anyway, he's inspiring on a lot of different levels. But yeah, I was privileged to be able to speak with him and man't share his story, which is uh, you know, pretty incredible.
Speaker 4: Well, and that is one of the great things about Greg, right is the preparation, no matter what it is, and the knowledge of of what of what's going on, whether it's preparing for a game or to do a show or in this case, uh, you know, with his diagnosis and his current fight. So that doesn't surprise me that that that that's how that conversation went.
Speaker 3: Branch, Well, yeah, I was like, thank god I was talking to him. I mean, not only does he was able to you know, I'm an English major, so you know, it was a lot to kind of work through all his various medical issues, but you know, she was kind of be able to explain it in more layman's terms. And then of course he's a quote machine, you know, and so I had to. Yeah, the challenge was that you can choose with his great soundbites, you know, to put in the article, you know, because as you know, if you read it, you know, despite all that he's dealing with and it's very serious, he's able to maintain.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a great read, and we encourage everybody to to check it out. Obviously, we get we get the questions a lot, you know, hey, how's Papa doing and how are things going and what has it been like? And and you know, to that point, we we do know a lot of what has been going on that that he was willing to openly discuss and be a part of of what you were able to write. So for anybody that really wants the update, that's it, in his words, a lot of it. So we we definitely encourage everybody to check it out. And of course we we love them and we're you know, keep keep fighting, Pop, keep fighting, brother.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Thanks so much Eric for coming by, and we'll talk to you about a lot of niners in the coming weeks as well, and hopefully we can get our guy Papa in there to give some insight. But look, health is wealth, got to take care of himself first and looking forward to when we do get him back, and until then, we'll keep reading every piece you put out there, because whether it's on Papa, Dre Greenlaw, Deebo, Samuel, etc. It's good. It's good always reading the chronicle. So thanks Bratch, I
Speaker 3: Appreciate you guys, Thanks for having me