Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the Sports Leader dot com at knbr V sports Leader app.
Speaker 2: A.
Speaker 3: Forty football is our big theme to day.
Speaker 4: Forty nine Ers kickoff at six o'clock tonight at Levi Stadium. We'll see who gets out there looking good. Forty nine ers back in our lives since the first time since then Seahawks playoff.
Speaker 3: That was in January. It's August.
Speaker 4: It's a whole new season, twenty twenty six, and so pregame at three and of course the forty nine Ers kickoff at six.
Speaker 3: That'll be fun, all right, Marcus fun? You ready take a quiz, buddy? Oh no, not really? Lat that you birds that you never wanted to hear. You're asking the wrong guy. What if? What if I told you it was about football? Ah that I'm all in you.
Speaker 4: You're much more fired up, yes not algebra, much better on the gridiron than I am with geometry. Okay, So Dan Orlowski, friend of the program, Danny, Oh, we had him on Radio Row. He did a fun little list. We all love our lists in our rankings. So I'm gonna quiz you as to how well you think Danny O rates these quarterbacks, but more important, how you rate him too? And what he did was he said, yeah, yeah, he talks about their top quarterbacks. He goes, but what about the elements that make up a quarterback like arm strength, ball placement, mechanics, decision making. Oh, we got music, pocket presence, second reaction, and rushing ability. These are the elements that make up a quarterback. And he ranked the top ten quarterbacks in each skill set. Okay, so I'm gonna throw the skill set at it and you tell me whether or not Orlovsky put brock Purdy in the top ten of that skill set. All right, let's get at the factor in what you think of the quarterback and what you think Orlowsky might have thought of the quarterbacks or yes, sir, let's do it.
Speaker 3: So let's start with arm strength.
Speaker 4: Did did Dan Orlovsky put brock Purty in the top ten NFL quarterback arm strength?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I'm guessing he did not put brock Purty in the top ten when it comes to arm strength. Why do you say that, I would say, because that's one of the knocks on brock Purty is that he does not have the arm of a Josh Allen or Justin Herbert. That's one of the big reasons why he was mister irrelevant and not viewed as a first round quarterback. We had some applause for our A student looked at that one for one, one for one. Those who made it Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Caleb Williams, Matt Stafford, Pat Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Drake May, Joe Burrow, Lamar.
Speaker 3: Jackson, and Dak Prescott.
Speaker 4: Those are Armstrake cats. All right, Marcus, Next up, ball placement?
Speaker 3: Pause?
Speaker 4: Ball placement is dan Arlowski? Does dan Orolowski put brock Party in the top ten quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: In ball placement?
Speaker 5: Well, we are talking about the layer King. Brock Purty is a fantastic quarterback when it comes to attack in the middle of the field. So I'm gonna say yes, Danny O does have brock Purty top.
Speaker 3: Ten in ball placement. Give this young man another a plus here. He does, he does, He has him ninth.
Speaker 4: Matt Stafford, Drake May, Sam Darnold, Joe Burrow, Jared Goff, Jordan Love, Josh Allen, Lamar, Jackson, brock Purty, Perdy, Dak Prescott. Again, all right, Marcus, you're hot. Mechanics. Mechanics, clear, smooth throwing motion, strong based, repeatable processes. Is Brock pretty a top ten mechanics?
Speaker 5: Personally, I would put him in the top ten. I think Brock has great footwork in the pocket. So I'm saying, why the hell not Danny O throw him in the top ten?
Speaker 3: You were doing so well? Ah, I knew it.
Speaker 5: That's my gut feeling that he wouldn't get the respect when it comes to his mechanics. But I don't mind his mechanics at all.
Speaker 3: You're two and one.
Speaker 4: Matt Stafford, Joe Burrow, Dan Jones, Danan Jones, Vanilla Vick has better mechanics and Brock party, Jared Goff, Dak Prescott. Here's a guy much mon CJ. Stroud, CAYLEB Williams, Jayden Daniels, your guy, Josh Allen and Lamar A right for a running back? Decision making with the football? Decision making with the football? Did Dan Orlowski put brock Perty in a top ten decision maker?
Speaker 5: I say yes, brock Perty has that processing chip. He's the reason why that he's the reason why he's been better than any other quarterback in Kyle Shanahan system. In San Francisco top ten. I would say you were doing so well. Man, jeez, this is just like real life. I get out to a hot start because I'm just guessing answers and next to you know, I'm sitting here with the fuck making.
Speaker 3: The right source. This is makes uh.
Speaker 4: It means about making the only choice when things are falling apart, find the correct outlet of void mistakes, turnovers in negative place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I disagree with Jos You can you can? This is just a fun little game.
Speaker 4: Josh Allen, Matt Stafford, Jordan Loved, Drake May, Jayden Daniels, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, Pat Mahomes, and Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 5: Jordan Love wasn't making great decisions with all those interceptions in the second half when he lost to Rock Purty Pocket Presence?
Speaker 4: Did dan Orlowski put Brock Purty in his top ten pocket presence again?
Speaker 5: I think you should be top ten in pocket presence because of his ability to extend places. But I'm gonna say no, dan Orloski did not put him in the top ten pocket presence.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna help you right now as your tutor go back to the first part of your thoughts.
Speaker 3: That oh, this is what they say on the SAT. You gotta trust your gun. Yes, of course. Dan Orloski has him in the top ten.
Speaker 4: You give this man around, look at me go the action has the highest has him number eight, Drake may number one, Joe Burrow to Sam Darnold, three, Herbert Prescott, Lamar, Caleb, Caleb, Brock Purty. Then he has Dan Jones and Trevor Lawrence. There So there you go, guys. Uh So, brock Party makes the pocket presence. All right, we're winding up here. Second reactionability, This is working outside the pocket when things get derailed.
Speaker 3: Is brock Party a top ten?
Speaker 4: Second reactionability quarterback per Dan Rolowski.
Speaker 5: Playground Party, Brackyard Brock put him on the top ten list.
Speaker 4: Danio give this kid an a plus. In fact, it's his highest rating, number seven, up there with Josh Allen, Caleb Williams, who gets a lot of it, Pat Mahomes, Drake may Sam Donald bow Knicks, bo Nicks, Brock, Lamar, Jaden Daniels, and Baker Mayfield. And then finally rushing ability. Rushing ability, uh top ten? Is brock Party a top ten rushing quarterback in.
Speaker 5: The I don't think he's viewed as a scrambling quarterback, and there are much easier options to pick in the top ten or should I say top five, I'd say maybe he squeezed in, but my gut tells me Danny Oh left him off that list.
Speaker 3: Give this man an a plus.
Speaker 4: Yes, he did here pretty good there, buddy, had a little loan in the middle. I mean, did Lamar, Josh Drake may again, Caleb Agan, Justin, Herbert Jalen Hurts, Pat Mahomes, Baker, Mayfield, bow Nicks, and Jad and Daniels are all considered better rushers by that, So I think he did pretty I'm gonna give you an A minus, buddy.
Speaker 3: That might be the highest score I've ever gotten on a post.
Speaker 4: In other words, he plays top ten in ball placement, pocket presence, and second reactionability.
Speaker 3: I agree with all.
Speaker 4: Those, and arm strength, mechanics, decision making and rushing ability. He missed on the top ten. I actually don't hate those great Yeah.
Speaker 5: Not off I think I give brock Purty a little bit more credit than Dan Orlosky, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not arm strength.
Speaker 5: Decision I'd say probably decision making making now His decision making was a little bit more questionable last year with some interceptions.
Speaker 4: I think he was trying to do too much like the combination. He has the processing chip.
Speaker 3: You know, what is it? A big brain brock? Is that what ge Pop calls him?
Speaker 4: But there are times he makes the wrong decision and yeah, it kills you. So that's something I'd like to see improved this year. All right, that was fun and Barcu's gotten named us and we got a jazzy background music for it too, nice little pop cooler Okay, cooler content always loaded when you get the McConaughey steak one in today probably. And then Tony V at eight fifty sharp, don't miss Tony V. We punted the executive show to eight fifty to give a guy a break after his players absolutely monkey blanked the game yesterday.
Speaker 3: That's not the manager's fall yesterday.
Speaker 4: I mean, dude, catch the flying ball, make the double play anyway. Tony V at eight fifty on the Sports Leader KMBRB Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone, Jill, this is the.
Speaker 3: Cooler he's betting.
Speaker 1: A cooler of.
Speaker 2: Content, capacious of joyful news all the time.
Speaker 1: Now back to murphin Markets on the board's leader.
Speaker 4: All right, the cooler of content, always the fun stuff out there that you need to hear. Sponsored by Marine Health with top physicians, surgeons and clinicians right here in the North Bay. Rent Health puts you closer to your best health, world class care, closer than you think.
Speaker 3: All right, well, let's I promised it. Let's go right to it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I you know I'm on whatever.
Speaker 4: Social media is insane, like you get all these takes, you get this and that.
Speaker 3: Everybody hates Lake up and done.
Speaker 4: They hate the championships, they hate the champions They want to tear down Chase Center, that everything, Run these guys out of town. So you're getting that, mister lake o, tear down My god, my god, I am. I'm gonna be like you know, I'm gonna go to a Warrior opener with a sign that just says you Warriors fans are are f and nuts.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna just hold a sign up all season long it says you were you Warriors fans on social are f and nuts.
Speaker 3: Man, Oh murph.
Speaker 5: They don't remember what it was like being a Warrior fan back in the day.
Speaker 3: Ran right, Ryan Murphy.
Speaker 2: I'm from No Valley, California. I'm a twenty year.
Speaker 4: Old junior major in English, and I'd just like to say we still love those fighting Golden State warners.
Speaker 2: You and the three others.
Speaker 4: No, I never mind, say no more, Say no more, my friend. And back then Chris Berman had a rear en.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you're right, shut out Berman in those pants the other day. Wow, I okay, say I think Berman was right, though, you and those three others still like Joe Lacob and Mike dunleyvy, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So anyway, and all of a sudden, I see matt mcconaughean a podcast and they asked him the important how do you prepare your steak?
Speaker 3: How do you grill your steak? I said, oh, I have my own day.
Speaker 4: I'm not an expert though, but I know Marcus, this is very important to Marcus. Yes, so once you to evaluate, Matthew McConaughey, in his McConaughey style, describe how he prepares a steak.
Speaker 5: Alright, see if you agree.
Speaker 4: See if you admire, see if you criticize. Take notes Matthew McConaughey on how to prepare a steak A Texas guy talking here.
Speaker 3: Here you go, okay, real quick steak? What cut do you eat?
Speaker 6: One in five a bench American wagga. Yeah's to say nobody's sake admitted it or not, we're not talking about Oh I want to lean. I know I have my l cutting. You have it cooked well in different ways. So I go one in five eighth inch, which means it's a big thick piece of meat, which means I don't didn't take it to the oven, never bake it to get the middle cooked.
Speaker 3: I do like to see it. I either go on the grill.
Speaker 6: I mean, if I can get that green egg to sit there and hold at four fifty five, then I'm then I'm and close that thing and trust it beautiful. Other times where we're just inside it on time. For that, I'm a big sixteen inch black skillet oil butter, syrt cast iron. Get that baby height and and and sear that and flip some oils and butter on top of that thing, because I just learned this that that butter doesn't brown if you put it in early with the oil. And then obviously that old trick that everyone everyone forgets, let that dip for as long as you cooked. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because it's gotta settle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and is kind of absorb it back in.
Speaker 6: And also you can't do you all know this one. This may be obvious, but it's the cooked at room temperature. Can't pull it out of fridge? Can you pull it right out of fridge?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, no, you gotta let it. You gotta let ship.
Speaker 6: You get back to the room, get the room temperature. That's a good one, and all those poores open up. So one five eighth inch of American wagon.
Speaker 3: Ribbi oh, Marcus Man.
Speaker 5: There were a few men ten out of ten, like like that was a great breakdown.
Speaker 3: The only thing that was missing was like the seasoning.
Speaker 5: Like I'm guessing because he's a Texas guy, he's going salt and pepper, oil and butter.
Speaker 3: Yes, but there's gotta be some salt pepper.
Speaker 4: He mention that, you're right, yeah, that's maybe a nine point five. But the breakdown from the cut, I'm a rib by guy, like river wag you?
Speaker 5: He said, now you wag you was fancy, like that's that really expensive steak going big?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's hard the best cut of meat you can get. His wagon. I hate to do this, you know, in the air here. But uh yeah, huh yeah, show up those measurements. Uh huh. One fine was thick and juice. Yeah, so what about the green egg at forming all shapes and sizes and this one was thick.
Speaker 4: And p absolutely Walter might need the spatula, he said. If he can hold the green egg at four fifty five, that's holding the smoke temperature. So that's a pro move. You can smoke the steak before you see it. We've done it a couple of times for like Christmas, Thanksgiven. If we throw a tomahawk on the smoker, it's kind of like a reverse seer, So you smoke it up, get that internal temperature, and then you see it and get that crust on the on the cast iron until the internal temp gets to where you want to be okay, and usually that's around one thirty five Off the top of my head for a medium rare. I'm a medium rare guy. I believe that's the only way he sat his steak. He did say once, what do you say on I took notescheres you say in close and trust? Is that what he said on the egg? He said, you got to enclose and trust.
Speaker 5: If you're looking, you ain't cooking. It's as simple as that, brother, Yeah you don't. Yeah, oh dude, yeah, but I mean I get so annoyed when I'm smoking up a brisket or something and someone's like, oh, let me see what it looks like. No, no, no, let that puppy breathe. Let it cook. If you're looking, you ain't cooking.
Speaker 3: Now, he says.
Speaker 4: If he doesn't have time for that, he's got to go sixteen inches black skill it oil butter. He mentioned this thing about the butter goes in with the oil so it doesn't brown.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then you get the butter base going where you've got a base to stake the entire time on the cast iron.
Speaker 4: Also the note about taking it out of the fridge for a long time. It's got to get room temperature before you before you even begin the.
Speaker 3: Plus, you should do that with all of your meat.
Speaker 5: You should not go straight from the fridge to the smoker to the grill. Let it get to room temperature so that it can kind of cool out for a minute. You also said after you're done, let it sit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for as long as you gotta have the resting time, Like I'll let my brisket rest for an hour or two. Some people rest it overnight. It lets it all break down and really cook through. That's why you should always pull a steak at like one thirty five, because when you pull it, let it rest internally, it will bring its temperature up itself to like one thirty five.
Speaker 3: You know what, give me some applu You armed McConaughey right there.
Speaker 4: But look, I don't know a lot about math and English, but I know a lot about barbecue.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: He used to do those beef ads, remember that, you know, beef It's was for dinner man. We used to play those on the show back in the those pecon used to play that thing because it was just it had that Aaron Copeland western music playing and all that. So in other words, you and McConaughey need to get together and knock back a couple of steaks.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, A one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I mean that's where I fell in love with barbecue, really is when I went down to Texas, went down to Austin for a bachelor party, went out to like a orange and white spring game for Texas.
Speaker 3: Guess who was on the sideline.
Speaker 5: Matthew McConaughey, and then right after the game we went down to Terry Black's barbecue, and it changed my entire perspective on the sport of barbecue.
Speaker 4: Six or five US reverse sear on the Rabbi is the way based with butter, garlic and rosemary.
Speaker 5: Oh man, you guys are making me hungry.
Speaker 4: No, dude, four and five says you got to ask Tony V how he likes his steaks here too. Four O eights says, oh, hang on, pardon me, somebody says. Four O waits says, I only knocked McConaughey down because that's about eighty dollars a slice of wago ain't cheap. Four O waits says, if you want his cousin, Vin, if you want one thirty two, you better pull that bad boy at one twenty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's right, you can pull at one twenty one twenty five. Just depends on how long you're gonna let it rest and how thick of a slice of meat.
Speaker 4: We're talking about seven sevens I disagree on let this sit. When you order a steak, you're find a steak. Houts They don't have him sitting on the counter.
Speaker 5: Interesting, Oh no, I think you should let it bleed out a little bit and get all those flavors.
Speaker 4: And then seven or seven says water boy, you better pull that steak at one fifteen to one twenty because the carry over he's gonna bring it up to one thirty one thirty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Seven to seven? What did you say while you found a text on there? I can't find the one you liked. What's the one you liked?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: It was nine one six? Let me try to Let me try to find it real quick, I said. The texts come pouring in, then we lose them.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I thought I heard this, So I was right when I saw that that it was gonna stir something inside.
Speaker 2: You do it?
Speaker 3: You're speaking my language, I know my partner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, I love barbecue, I love beers, I love baseball.
Speaker 3: I'm a simple man. What he says that four fifty five? The way he said that, which one did you find?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Nine one six said, I'm gonna turn you into something. Guys. Smoked balooney? Hmmm, you ever had that?
Speaker 5: I've never done smoke baloney, but you can damn or smoke anything on a smoker.
Speaker 4: I don't know I'm a little confused. Is he talking about Oscar Meyer? My blooney has a first name. It's Oscar exactly A.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love to eat it, got to try it.
Speaker 4: If you ask me why, I'll say because Oscar Meyer has airway with B O L G.
Speaker 3: Do you guys know that one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Little.
Speaker 5: I started seeing the Oscar Meyer Wiener song the other day and Walter put a weird looking at fish Wiener mobile.
Speaker 3: Oh I wish I was an Oscar ma. That's old school, buddy, old school. All right. We got about four minutes.
Speaker 4: We've got Tony v Yaxel playing video games and talking.
Speaker 3: He likes to talk.
Speaker 5: That's what That's what people do on these strings. It's like Blake Snell does that right?
Speaker 3: Remember that? Yeah? Uh huh, it's your boy, b Snell. What game here? It's a basketball game? What's he playing? He's playing two K NBA two KK All right, all right, which one we're going with? You got two cuts here? What do you got? You tell me? Let's start with the cut F He's talking about the first time watching Steph work out.
Speaker 7: You've seen Steph work out?
Speaker 3: You bro?
Speaker 7: Yes, I was watching today, I was like this, dude, really don't miss at all, Like that's damn here making me mad, Like like I'm mad as hell, Loki, Like you know what I'm saying, Like it's Steph Curry real hair now man, I was I just saw him work out today, bro. Yeah, I was glazing the whole time, but it just looked crazy. Huh. I was watching I'm like, holy like this not missing a shot Like that's the craziest. Like like me, it's like like you gotta be boring. I just shooting and knowing you're going to make it every time, like you know, like that's crazy, bro. No, Like at some point it's like it's like you like you know, because when you miss it like adds flavors everything and get you mad a little bit, you know, just not missing you know, it's like it's like like now what you know, I'm gonna go talk to him, like yo, bro, like how do I how do I shoot? Like you know what I'm saying, done, But I need the little small, detailed, small tips and tricks to get that jay up.
Speaker 4: That is really quality audio first of all, nice and crisp and clean, and there's about seven million things in there you can use in the wind package next year if they win any games per Warriors fans, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's a lot of gold in there. Man. Uh like if.
Speaker 4: You if you can miss, it gets boring. You gotta miss every now and then to get some flavor to get mad. Are you making all those shots?
Speaker 5: Stuff? How about the guy in the back goes cause he works at it? Yeah, I mean, he answered his own question. Steph can shoot like that because even at age what is he thirty eight? Now, he's still putting in that work and still putting up shots every day.
Speaker 3: I would look he glazing the whole time.
Speaker 4: Whatever, that's what the kids do. Then he followed up. They asked where he ranks Curry and here was his answer. Cut m yaxl.
Speaker 7: What do you rank step all time?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 7: Top three? After step get this ring this year, he's gonna be number one.
Speaker 3: Door. Oh look at that? After Steph? Has he not been reading social media? Has he not been reading social media?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Maybe he's still in the high of the Summer League championship over the summer.
Speaker 3: After he gets his ring this year, he's gonna be number one. Oh man? Uh, real quick?
Speaker 4: How long is that Baseball America cutcause I'm looking at the clock and I'm looking at Tony v No.
Speaker 3: There, it's like forty seconds we can get into.
Speaker 4: Playing Baseball America. JJ Cooper will lead into Tony. Baseball America did their post trade deadline reranking of the farm systems.
Speaker 3: We mentioned this at the end of the show yesterday.
Speaker 4: The Giants are fourth, and guess what this guy, JJ Cooper for Baseball America says even more could be coming.
Speaker 8: The big picture with the Giants is there's probably no organization that is more loaded at the lower levels of the farm system. And being that the Complex League's Class A, right, that's where they have prospects beyond that, But that's where the vast majority of the prospects and their most elite prospects kind of reside right now. And that's kind of a that's could be a really good news thing. It does kind of limit you where you are right now. Right like if you look at the top of our top one hundred, the top twenty five prospects, generally, without fail are prospects with elite tools who have also performed at Double A or beyond. There are exceptions, but that's the general rule, and I would say a year from now you could see the Giants as the number one farm system in baseba.
Speaker 3: Woo fuster posey.
Speaker 5: I mean that farm system continues to get better and better every single week, every single month, from the off season international signings to the draft to the Hall of Prospects that you just got at the trade deadline. Yeah, we've gone from them being outside the top ten to a top ten farm system to a top five after the trade deadline.
Speaker 4: So the only question for the kids who are just growing up right now in middle school, elementary school, are you gonna wear a Johnny Level jersey?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna wear a Joshuar jersey? Are you gonna wear a Jackson Floria jersey? You're gonna wear a Carson Boulleman jersey? What are you gonna wear? That'll be fun? Fun to dream, fun to dream, Tony Vtello. Next on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 7: It's Steph Crady real hair on now, man, I was I just saw him work out today, bro, Yeah, I was lazing all the time.
Speaker 1: The Sports Leader presents on Giants Executive Show. Every week we go straight to the officers up thirty and King and here for the guys who are calling the shots for the Orange and Black.
Speaker 3: Hey, what no, are.
Speaker 1: Murphy and Marcus with Giants Manager Tony Bytello on V Sports Leader All I love.
Speaker 4: Talking Giants Baseball. The Giants Executive Show is the Manager Tony V. Tello Tony V sponsored by Benjamin Moore Paints Experienced to Benjamin More Retail Difference at are independently owned authorized retailers today or at Benjamin Moore dot com. Good morning, Tony, Welcome back to Murph and Marcus. How are you this fine Thursday morning.
Speaker 3: Day, Tony morning.
Speaker 2: Thanks doing all right? A joint off day look ahead to the Rocky series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as you can turn, you can continue to learn the Bay area a little bit and you have it an off day, maybe sneak down, catch some forty nine or football in Santa Clair tonight. Uh.
Speaker 2: Not in the middle of our season, but I have soaped out the schedule many of days. When we're done, I'd like to see them a few times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they will look for some Tony V sightings down there on the sideline.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and tonight they're taking on the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 3: Tony.
Speaker 5: Obviously with your connection to Tennessee. Do you have any Titans fandom at all? Or who is your NFL team?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You know, I grew up in Saint Louis and a lot of people don't know the Cardinals were there. They left when I was about six, so we didn't really have a team. And my dad was from Chicago, so we went to Soldier Field a lot. And I was a big Walter Payton guy, so I was a huge Bears fan. Then it kind of went away, and then you know, recently some connections with their coach and some other stuff and it kind of got a fun group. So I guess I'm on back on board a little bit with those guys.
Speaker 4: You got a pretty good quarterback, so we'll check that out, and a fiery coach in Ben Johnson. Yeah, so okay, well listen, obviously, let's start small, then we'll go big. Yesterday's game, yesterday's game must be frustrated for you as a manager because you get this great star from Adrian Houser. Sam Henches gets the balls he needs and unfortunately the defense breaks down.
Speaker 3: Let's start with Willia Domas.
Speaker 4: He gets a ground ball to short and all of a sudden he can't make the throat of set and has to kind of lobb it there, and now we're all wondering, Wow, can he play baseball with that back?
Speaker 3: What's the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's getting treatment this morning, just a tick later this morning, kind of assess where it's at today. But you know, something that's kind of been I don't know, back and forth lingering what what the right terminology is. It's it's kind of something that's tough. He's close to the best with anything that ever's bothering him. He wants to be you know, that cal Ripken type out out on the field, but clearly it locked up there. When we made the pitching change, A Ray went out on behalf of the medical staff and visited with him. He was determined to stay in the game, so the plan was to give him that lead off at that and you know, at the time it's a it's a tie game. We were kind of hoping he'd get on base and we could take him out from mc cray, but the way he was moving around there just it didn't make sense to risk anything else for him personally, so we made the decision to take him out of the game. And I think it's more than likely today Friday at a minimum, that he kind of just needs to get treatment and hopefully get back to.
Speaker 3: Neutral Tony you mentioned it.
Speaker 5: This is a back injury that Willia Domis has been dealing with for the majority of the season. So prior to yesterday's game, were there any conversations about potentially sitting him down for an extended period of time so that he could get back to full health.
Speaker 2: No, not really. We did have that period take place, said he felt good when he came back. You know, he does through some extra exercises in the training room. You know, a lot of the guys like to use it. Was pointed out yesterday in the postgame pressure a lot of guys. Ramos in particular, always used it even though he wasn't having issues. This backwarmer that kind of goes around there or just in between at bats. Uh, so he's he's utilized that. But you know, I don't I don't think anything had really popped up to cause that. We did have a scheduled off day for him in Texas, and then one thing kind of led to another after the trade deadline and he and Rofie ended up both playing on on days that we were looking to win the series. They wanted to win the series, so didn't didn't feel in neat for that never came up.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I'm just sort of hypothet doing the hypothetical now here if indeed he does need an il stint or extended rest is I mean, you can play Christian cost there, We know that, and you got a couple other guys. But is that a logical place that Marcelo Meyer might be able to step in and fill in.
Speaker 2: I think when he joins us he can play anywhere. I'm only going off I've seen highlights, maybe seen him play twice on TV, and then I'm going more off just ground balls that's taken place during our defensive work. I think throughout his time with the Giants, I think he can move from second short third pretty pretty seamlessly, maybe even more so than than Costs and Schmidt, So he could potentially play there for sure.
Speaker 5: With Casey Schmid and Matt Chatman both having season ending surgery, have there been any thoughts about putting Rafael Devers back over at third base?
Speaker 2: No, not really. I mean, you've got, as far as the future goes, you've got an interesting situation because Parks Harbor is arguably the top prospect or one of the top prospects, in particular with the bat, so he's another third baseman. And then of course, you know, Marcello has spent time there and has the arm strength to do it and has a lot of length. So I think all the conversations that have come up about that spot have been a little bit more about a Rubik's cube of where's the best spot for everybody if everyone's healthy and everyone's hitting so and obviously if all that was taking place, it's a very good problem to have.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Marcus's question about first base, that leads to Bryce Eldridge And we were talking about Kuko about this and you know, obviously ever he's thrilled with what they're seeing. But he did have a downturn of late. Now it is baseball, guys get cold. But was there an injury, a thumb injury that accounted for his slow down of late?
Speaker 3: And how's that going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he had a little bit of a bruise on his hand, and you know it was its kind of flared up. I mean, again, it's kind of one of those things that was present, but on a particular day it flared up and definitely needed to take a forty eight hour window just to let it calm down. But he feels good after that, and he's plenty tough. I don't I don't think it helped him as it was coming on, but he actually swung the back very well. After the couple of days that, you know, he came off the bench and had that big hit. In the next couple of days, swung the bat pretty good. I think it's been a little bit more about just the repetitions are piling up, the scutter report's changing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Obviously, your mind can go in a bunch of different places over the course of time, the more and more you're either on the mound or you're at the plate. But I think he's handled it very well, and you know, just missed the homer the other day, and some of us his missus has been really good. Probably if anything, he's striking out a little bit more and walking a little bit less. But you know, you look at the scores and and the way some of the games have gone. I think a lot of the guys, you know, are pressing out of the zone a little bit at times, or or maybe file off a pitch they could hit because they're trying to produce. You know, on those days where it just doesn't, the floodgates just don't open for us at all.
Speaker 5: Tony, we talked a lot about the development of Bryce Odridge throughout spring training and with him starting the season in Sacramento and Triple A. We're now one hundred and twenty one games of the season. He's played nearly eighty at the big league level. What are some of the signs of development that you've seen from Bryce Overdridge, both offensively and defensively.
Speaker 2: I think being able to weather the storm of days that aren't great. You know, he's made comments about how he wants to be able to navigate, especially on days when he's deation and you can have that time in between at bats. Just his process of navigating either success or lack of success in between at bats, how he's managed his work. He's actually added things as the season that's gone on that he does. I don't think he's done anything to overtax his body, but it's just interesting to see how for a young kid, he's kind of organized this process, whether it's preparation before the game or things that go on in between and then you know, overall just spring training on the big theme is he's so much better at first base than he was last year. You know, I can only go off of what everybody says, but I've seen from the start of spring training to now he's gotten so much better over there. Defensively.
Speaker 4: Talking to Tony Vattello on the Giants Executive Show, you listen to Camber, I am Ac camberr FM Cerisco the sports Leader Acumulus Media Station.
Speaker 3: So many different guys to ask about so many different things.
Speaker 4: One of them is your left fielder last night or yesterday afternoon, Victor Barracoto, big high hopes for him. He can swing the bad at an RBI knocked yesterday, had a tough game the game before, and then drop that fly ball in the sun. I guess learning to play left field in that park is going to be a thing for him. But is it fair to say Tony that, in your talks with Buster Posey and Zach manaziin that you guys traded Elliott Ramos because you believe that Barrakoto can be the everyday left fielder going forward and even into twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't say there's a direct correlation there between those two things. I think they're fairly separate. Barrakota is fun to talk about because of tore it up and winter Ball took the time to go play. I think it shows that guys love to compete and they're serious about their career when they do. That. Was our best hitter in spring training, just flat out was. I mean, Chapman was was was pretty good too, but Barracota's numbers were better than everybody was, technically leading our team in ops this year. So I think there's a lot to get excited about with what he can do with the bat. Left Field was a little bit of a deal where you're figuring out what do we do defensive replacement, I how to you know, right field, left field? Where which won's he better? And then you know, before he got hurt, he really started to play a nice left field, made a couple of big time throws, a couple of really good plays, and you know, just had the thing pop up yesterday. That's that's unfortunate. But I think he doing a little bit of a separate category. I think the overall big category is just a group of prospects in general, Jung Hu Lee you can still categorize as young, but he is kind of the the vet of the group. But Cox, Gilbert, terre Hill, Grant McCrae. I think there's a lot that those guys want to and of course the coaches too, want to figure out what we really got, who can do what, who belongs where, And you know, Barracota's probably at the top of the list, but there's some other names that come up just as often.
Speaker 5: Tony follow up question on Drew Gilbert out in center field. Seems like he's been playing some better baseball lately. We had Mike Krucol on our show earlier this week, and he talked about how impressed he's been this year seeing the change.
Speaker 3: In approach from Drew Gilbert at the plate.
Speaker 5: Can you talk to us a little bit about that approach and the adjustments that he's made the big league pitching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's consistently making, you know, I would say minor adjustments. I mean, he works like crazy, and you know, I think earlier in the season my concern was making things too complicated or changing too often. But I think the way he and Hunter Mints have hooked up has kind of proven that very wrong, and like I said, it's just been little adjustments here and there all the time, and it seems to be a cleaner swing. And then two, he's one of our guys that's really putting together great at bats where he's not afraid to look for a pitch, he's not afraid to take a pitch, and even though the average hasn't been on the steep rise, if you're just in you know, if you're talking about Kruko's observations, I mean, no one knows the game better than he does, and he's probably taken those at bats for what they are, just competitive at bats, and again you don't always get the outcome or the average showing that they're better. But I think the quality of the at bat is day in and day out, really really good. And I think as he continue used to go the path he's going, I think things could get even better.
Speaker 4: Is it a non starter against lefties though he just can't hit lefties? What's your guys's view of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm never a big fan of the word can't in general. I think one position, you know, I feel like I can talk about him differently, and I definitely talked to him differently with our prior relationship. Is he kind of puts us in a position where we just don't look smart if that's what we're doing, you know, or we're open to criticism, and trust me, we're trying like hell to win games, so that stuff's got to go on the back burner. But if you are trying to explain to your starting pitcher, for instance, like hey, this is our best lineup for you today, he hadn't put us in a really good position because those numbers were kind of gaudy in the wrong direction, but a really impressive you know, base hit in Colorado for an RBI and then recently one with two strikes off lasts who barely gets hit by anybody. So it's in there. He's just got to get the right approach. If you watch, he actually does more with his swing in his body movements against lefties than he does against righties, and it actually should be the opposite. I mean, the guy on your arm side, there's actually less work to do for the most part. So I just think if he gets some repetitions in maturity, it'll get better, and some confidence is the big thing. I think it became a thing in his head early in the year, but with some other guys in the lineup, I think it'll be easier and a good excuse to mix in other guys. So for now it'll be pretty sporadic as far as him.
Speaker 4: On lefties and one more on Drew because you know him so well. You know, he made national news with his the celebration after wins when he would do the gesture with his hips, you know, and there was a lot of opinions. I was like, well, I'll let the kids have fun. But he's stopped doing that, and I'm wondering if there's a correlation between maybe a maturity. Is this something you guys talked about behind the scenes. I mean, it's always good to have fun, but some people say it's a bad luck when you're losing. He stopped doing that, he's playing better. Is there a maturity that's sort of all linked to that.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I mean, I think you got a deal where we're struggling to win games, we're struggling to produce day in and day out, especially on the offensive side early in the year, and we're also struggling to find our personality. I do feel like it sure would be nice to be talking about a series win and have a little bit better proof to back this up or a little bit you know, stronger argument. But I do think the personality has started the form as of late, you know, to be honest with you, since we're in Texas, but I think that was a you know, drastic attempt to try and inject some personality into things, and then you know, you look at skits and things that get thrown out that are related to that deal, and it kind of fed the fire a little bit. So I think, like several things this year, by nature of our clubs, some of the personalities, a new coach, I think some things have been pulled and blown up that really there's nothing there, and if you're winning games, there's definitely nothing there.
Speaker 5: Tony ivite Tello is the voice here this morning on the Giants Executive Show sponsored by Redwood Credit Union for you for community for seventy five years and Tony moving on from one Tennessee volunteer to another. Tell us about the Big Skittle Blade Sidwell. It's been a hell of a season for him, starting out the year in the bullpen, now getting back into the starting rotation, which I'm sure means a lot to you and Frank Anderson seeing him back on the bump. So just tell us about what you've seen in his return to the starting rotation, and is that a spot you see him kind of fitting into or at least fighting for a spot next season.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, I think we get into those. We had a real lengthy personnel meeting, and you get into those, and I guess nature of the Beastank and I are always the most critical of those two guys, and I think we got high hopes for Blade but also high standards for him, and I think it's hard to say the last two times out he hasn't met any standard. I know the first inning in Texas was an ideal. I think he learned his lesson. Maybe he got a little too cute with Jock Peterson leading off the game, but since then has shown equal ability to pitch to right and left. Seems to just kind of gets stronger really as he goes through the lineup two or three times. That's a much talked about and maybe sometimes overhype thing with analytics these days. But the biggest thing for me is the relief appearances were the bulldog kind of like Carson Seymour looked the other day, here's my stuff, deal with it just winging it at the plate, and he's got the stuff to do that, but his stuff has kind of been maintained and he's able to kind of pitch Starter would have to with a really good mix different sequences the second third time through. So a really fun balance to watch of again that pitch ability but also kind of that bulldog mentality and winging some pretty good stuff at the plate for an extended amount of time.
Speaker 4: Toby, I want to circle back on your comment about the personality in Texas. So that was the trade deadline. So do you think it took the trade deadline for you guys to begin to form who you are?
Speaker 2: No, I think you know prior to that too. I think there was already some youth injected into the locker room, and I think those guys started to realize their importance of Yeah, the leaders got to prop you up and they got to lead you, but also you got to you got to maybe pull it out of the older guys to you know, play the game with a little bit of energy the way that you can and more than anything, realize there's certain days where there's more of you guys than there are the older guys. So if you guys don't, you know, come to play and don't feel confident on the field like you're like you are a ten year big leaguer, then it's not going to go very well. But I do think the trade deadline caused so much chaos that it was kind of a rallying point for the group of Okay, all the stressful stuff is done. We know we now know where we stand. We've got to push forward here in some sort of direction. And again with I think three days in a row maybe or something similar, a new guy each day making his major league debut, it you know, it kind of started to become a little bit more relaxed, a little bit more energetic from the top down. Rafi will eve everybody just a little bit more of that flavor, and you can sense a little bit of that more consistently day in and day out since then.
Speaker 4: Tony, obviously, one lost record is all you're judged on, right, Bill Parcells, your record is that you said it's not the dreams season for you fifty and seventy one. But I'm wondering, how are you processing, how are you different on August thirteenth than you were on when the Yankees came here on what was it, March twenty fifth?
Speaker 3: How are you different as a manager and a person?
Speaker 2: I think different perspective for sure, you know, look back and have a much better understanding for those are just three games, but also the same and that those are three games and every game is important. You know, off days are great, but I can tell you this, for food on the off days used to hell of a lot better the day after a win or the day after a series win than they do different. So maybe a little bit of the same, but definitely different perspective and a little bit better balance. But I would just say whether it's notes that are in a computer now or in head or come up in conversations like Buster and Zak and I had yesterday about some just different plays and would you do it the same, would you do it different? Just a lot of lessons learned, you know, don't don't want to sacrifice wins for lessons learned. But either way than preaching my whole life the young guys, a loss is a lesson. It's it's not a failure. So unfortunately we've had way too many losses. But that has allowed for plenty of lessons to pile up, I think for everybody, so trying to utilize those as best as possible. And then I don't know, like I said, I think, you know, not just since Texas and it wasn't about I mean, obviously you're having fun every day at the park. Arises around and he's bringing a smile to everybody's face. But since it's been you know, a deal where we've been able to move past that date, it truly has been fun to come to the park every day, and there has been kind of an energetic vibe injected into everything that's going on pre game and things like that. And part of it is just there's several guys that are trying to prove themselves.
Speaker 4: Can you already say, you know, assuming everybody's we're all back here in our jobs in twenty twenty seven, you me, Marcus, and you were all together, can you can you already say, man, I am going to be a different and better manager in twenty seven because of this experience.
Speaker 2: Different I think, you know, just because you can't get complacent or assume that well it'll flip because now I know this, or it'll flip because this guy will be healthy, or this guy will be in this spot. We added this guy. I think I think it's I mean, it's kind of already started, but it's going to be time to get to work as soon as the season is over. And then it's going to be really challenging to navigate the waters that are in front of us, just to find a way to make sure we're better prepared in spring training this go around, and then spring training needs to have some different things go on, and then the next task and then the next task and the next next task. But there's no doubt it has to get better, and there's certainly a lot of things there that I think are in position that can make it go better.
Speaker 3: It's an awesome job, it's a historic job.
Speaker 4: There's a lot that comes with it, and you know, obviously there's a lot of negative that comes with it too. So what would August thirteenth, Tony V tell Tony V from January, like, man, this was this was harder than you thought, or man, this was more awesome than I thought. What would you what would you say to yourself eight from eight months ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I knew it would be challenging. I don't know that I knew it would be. This sounds bad to say, but the fun moments are pretty dang fun. You know how clean that game was, and the way some young guys played and we asked pitchers to pitch in different situations and our our game that we won against the Astros is it's a it's it's a pretty tough feeling to replicate. Unfortunately, we haven't had as many times as you want. But I think a little bit of both man challenging even more so than you thought. Uh, even more fun than you thought. But there's there's work to be done. I mean, I don't I don't want to make a big deal of it. And it's not something you have when the game starts. You got a job to do. But prior to and after games, I've dealt with this before in my life, Like this is a this is a big deal. This isn't just a game. It's a lot more than that. It's a culture, and it's a community, and uh, it's people like Buster and and my crewco and I could go on and on down the list, and then you know, pretty bitter feeling the other day. Uh, personally, I feel a sense of responsibility when you got Belt and Panic and all those guys. I meet Swan Dunstan, one of my childhood heroes, for the first time, and we had the type of game that we did. It's it ain't fun, So there's a great deal of responsibility that he lies the crown type of thing. But you know when the game starts. Right now, we're having fun and we're working hard. We just need to execute better. And that's that's a whole group working together. We got to execute better.
Speaker 3: It's work in progress.
Speaker 4: We watch you guys go through it tomorrow night against the Rockies, and well down the road we'll ask you about my Kuco maybe before we get you before the end of the season. So because you're talking about this culture and community, you're seeing the reaction to him.
Speaker 3: You know what he means to the culture and community.
Speaker 4: So I know you've only been here a little bit, but you could you must be overwhelmed by the reaction.
Speaker 2: Not a surprise. Know his son well and have known who he is as a pitcher and personality and how good he is at his job for quite some time, so not a surprise at all. Looking forward to hooking back up with Jeric when he gets in town and spend more time with Mike. He's got great info for me every time I talk to him.
Speaker 4: Tony, we took you for a long ride here this morning. We appreciate the time and the conversation. Have a great off day and we'll talk to you down the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Tony, you bet, Thanks guys
Speaker 3: Tony Vtello on the sports leaders