Speaker 1: And we continue at two h five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, mister Randy Weggs in Culver City, John.
Speaker 2: We have the latest poll coming out from the California Democratic Party. This is the poll they commissioned to try to get the lower polling candidates to drop out. And this poll all but confirms the Bakaia bump is real.
Speaker 1: Scrub it.
Speaker 2: Messerah tied for first place with Steve Hilton at eighteen percent and who's coming in third Bianco at fourteen. Then he got Styre at twelve, Porter at eight, may Hen at seven, Via Goose at two, Tony thurmot at Ion, Betty Ee, and Swallwell still at one.
Speaker 1: Well, that still shows what four or five of them within the margin of air of one another.
Speaker 2: It still could be anybody's race. But we have definitely seen in several polls, and this is a poll where it tracks the same people over the course of weeks that people are moving to Bessera. Why couldn't tell you, but they're moving to Bessara.
Speaker 1: I would say, And you and I sat in the front row for the last debate. To my eye, Besserah was the least impressive candidate on stage.
Speaker 2: You're assuming everybody watched that debate, but of.
Speaker 1: Those who did, wasn't Was that your impression too, or was there someone else you thought did a worst job?
Speaker 2: No, I think Besarah was the most embarrassing person on that stage, and I'm not. Yeah, I will say for sure that's how I feel about it. I also don't think that Bianco had a very good night. Now, when you look at this poll originally in March seventeenth, the first time they pulled these people, three percent were for Bessara. By April fifth, four percent were for Bessara by April seventeenth, after Swallwell News eighteen percent and May second eighteen percent.
Speaker 1: So if that poll is correct and those numbers hold, we could be looking at a Hilton versus Besera November ballot, in which case Besera would be a huge favorite. However, we don't know if he's going to be indicted before that November election, because when we did the story on Dana Williamson last week, it certainly looked like there is a money laundering operation going on, and his name appeared in those federal documents literally thousands of times.
Speaker 2: If you have any of those documents, Xavier. Yeah, might want to scrub it.
Speaker 1: Just be careful you don't get caught, because sometimes the cover up's worse than the crime. So that's what's going on in the governor's race. Then let's shift gears here for a second, because California is in the middle of an insurance crisis where people are dropped from their policies right and left. California homeowners and small business owners are having a very difficult time finding companies who are willing to sell them a policy. In addition, people whose homes have burned down in the fires and Pacific Palisades and Alta Dina are having the very difficult time getting their insurance companies to pay them what they are owed. From top to bottom, the state of California is experiencing an insurance crisis. As all of this is going on, the state Insurance Commissioner, instead of sticking around here in California and trying to get to the bottom of a lot of these problems, he's traveling around the world, going from hotspot to hotspot, from resort to resort, and being entertained by DJ Kitty glitter.
Speaker 3: Child Basing is rarely comfortable, you.
Speaker 1: But thankfully he's turned out and we get to replace him in the next election. What we have to do, however, is replace them with someone better, because if we replace them with someone worse, none of us are going to be able to buy insurance in the future either.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is this may be the first election where people actually are paying attention to who is running for insurance commissioner, because it affects everybody in the state, whether you're a property owner or a renter. Part of the reason things have gotten so expensive is because of the cost of insurance.
Speaker 1: Yes, and in California. Again, I made the point before, I'll make it again because I think it's an important one. It's not just homeowners who are having a hard time finding insurance policies. How often do we do crime blodder stories about small businesses, including jewelry shops, where they're uninsured because it's just too expensive. For more on the race to replace Ricardo Laura, I'm very kind of sketch.
Speaker 2: Here is a report from KPIX.
Speaker 4: And we're about a month ano from the June primary, and there's still a lot of uncertainty about the race for the governor's office. Polling shows twenty six percent of voters are still undecided, but as John Ramas reports, it's not the only heated race to watch.
Speaker 5: It's been a long time since there was this much uncertainty in a California governor's race, and the sheer number of undecided voters shows that many people still have no idea who they're going to vote for. When Eric Swollwell made his swift and unexpected exit from the race, it meant this wasn't going to be business as usual. California instituted its top two primary system in twenty ten as a way to give more moderate candidates a better chance.
Speaker 2: That hasn't happened at all.
Speaker 1: No, No, in fact, the opposite has taken place.
Speaker 2: Then you want to add in rank choice voting, and you get a complete disaster. If you're ever I'm wondering how my girl became.
Speaker 3: Mayor absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: Ranked choice voting.
Speaker 1: That tells you everything you need to know.
Speaker 5: The baraucracy is real, but because of the weird circumstances of this election, most of the more marginal contenders have stayed in the race, and now, with one fourth of voters indicating that they are still undecided, there simply is no leading contender Democratic strategist Roger Salazar says, things haven't been this murky since nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 6: Closest to what we're experiencing here, when Al Checkie and Jane Harmon were duking it out and beat each other up so much that allowed Gray Davis to sort of rise up from the ashes of those two and get elected governor. So it kind of feels a lot like that.
Speaker 2: It feels like the Gray Davis.
Speaker 5: Sarah Salazar says, with Swalwell's departure, tom Stier's attacks on Javier Bessera have actually elevated the former state attorney general from single digit support to be becoming a genuine threat to become the Democratic candidate on the November ballot. Professor Caroline Heldman.
Speaker 2: From isn't that an interesting strategy? Is it possible that when they're tracking all the people that are looking at the polls, there is probably a certain portion of people that want to support whoever Tom Steyer is spending money against because they don't like Tom Steyer that much. Well, what's wild is after Swawell dropped out, you would assume that Stier would have started attacking Katie Porter because she was the one that was next in line, but he's just essentially ignored her and he went right after Besserra.
Speaker 5: Professor Caroline Heldman from Occidental College says this was nothing the party could have imagined.
Speaker 7: It's a really terrible place for the Democratic Party. This is not where they expected to be, with about one in four voters still undecided.
Speaker 2: Well, they thought Padilla was going to get in or Harris before.
Speaker 7: Him, and it's neck and neck with.
Speaker 2: I still can't figure out if Harris doesn't go in and Padia doesn't go in, why the hell did a lady can of Lockis stay out of this race?
Speaker 1: For Californians, There's got to be something there because it made no sense.
Speaker 7: And it's neck and neck with Tom Steyer, Steve Hilton, and Javier Visera having this meteoric rise. It's really a three way race between them.
Speaker 3: She says.
Speaker 5: The lack of a front runner may actually cause a low turnout. In normal primaries. The other down ballot offices are an afterthought for most voters, but there is one job that has become something of a hot seat. In years past the position of State Insurance Commissioner has been a safe, quiet seat for those with other political ambitions.
Speaker 2: Yes, it didn't matter if you had any experience. But if you were termed out of the state Senate, well you can go run for that.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be a lawyer like you do to be attorney general. You don't need to have any kind of background or expertise like you do to be the state superintendent of public instruction. For insurance commissioner, it's one of these statewide constitutional offices that under normal circumstances people don't pay attention to, and you can operate in the shadows. But not anymore.
Speaker 5: The insurance crisis has put the position in the political crosshairs, and current Commissioner Ricardo Laura expressed that at an oversight hearing this year, I.
Speaker 8: Don't want to say this, but I wanted you ought to experience the daily challenge that the insurance Commissioner faces, right, trying.
Speaker 2: To be referring to yourself from the third person.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, challenge that the insurance Commissioner faces, right, trying to balance the consumer protections and strengthening the market.
Speaker 2: You're not doing any of that.
Speaker 1: Well, trail blazing is tough.
Speaker 3: Trail blazing is rarely comfortable.
Speaker 8: You trying to balance the consumer protections and strengthening the market.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget Ricardo Laura implemented all of his stupid things that were supposed to save the insurance industry a year ago. Nobody's come back. The Fair Plan's bigger than ever.
Speaker 1: Well that was the metric which he said you should judge him by, that if he enacted his reforms, people would move off the fair Plan and onto private policy because the insurance companies would come back and they'd go back to selling policies again. Well, that hasn't happened, and the number of people who used the Fair Plan has ballooned.
Speaker 2: And this is why. And this was a big part of the debate that we witnessed when Julie Watts was asking them about insurance. Every single candidate on that stage had a bad answer, including Steve Hilton, who's like, well, all these things, Ricardo Laura is already doing them.
Speaker 1: They didn't work. Yeah, what is crazy to me is that. And it wasn't just Hilton. Other candidates look at Ricardo Laura as if he has some kind kind of elder statesmen on the subject, Who in the hell trust him?
Speaker 8: Trying to balance the consumer protections and strengthening the market with trying to entice insurance companies to remain in this market.
Speaker 5: The position was created by Prop oneh three in nineteen ninety eight, and Harvey Rosenfield, who wrote the initiative, says, it's been a pretty sedate job since then.
Speaker 9: Who was never a big deal and people really didn't pay attention to the Office of Insurance commission because Proposition one to three seemed to be working.
Speaker 1: Good people were saving money. Wasn't a crisis anymore.
Speaker 5: But since then, the major carriers began dropping coverage for hundreds of thousands of Californians.
Speaker 2: Partially because Ricardo Lara tipped them off that he was going to give them everything they wanted, and they were incentivized to drop people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he travels around the globe, he's not doing it on his own dime. He's doing it to attend these conferences and educational seminars and those sorts of things that the insurance companies put on.
Speaker 5: Just as mega wildfires began devastating communities, Heldman says, when it comes to people's pocketbooks, the insurance commissioner may have a bigger impact than even the governor.
Speaker 7: I do think that this particular jem that was one of.
Speaker 2: The more fun parts of the debate, where Bessarah's big platform is I'm going to freeze insurance rates, and Julie Watt tod to say the governor has no authority to do that, and he's.
Speaker 1: A lawyer who's been in state politics for a very long time. He doesn't know the basics.
Speaker 2: If you're just going based on the intelligence of the people that are speaking of the eight people that were on that stage last week, Bessarah is at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was certainly the dumbest. We know that Katie Porter is emotionally unbalanced, but she's not dumb. Tom Steyer was able to make a billion dollars he's aloof but he's not dumb.
Speaker 2: Sarah is dumb.
Speaker 7: I do think that this particular job plays a more direct role in the everyday lives of Californians than just about any other role in state politics.
Speaker 5: The political experts have no idea who will square off in November, but right now their money is on Basera and Republican Steve Hilton. But at a time when the stakes feel so high, they seem just as uncertain as the voters themselves.
Speaker 4: Coming up in less than two weeks. We'll hear from the candidates who are running for governor on Thursday, May fourteenth.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's going to be yet. So there's two debates this week and then there's another debate on the fourteenth on CBS.
Speaker 1: Again. Okay, so CNN's doing it this week. Alex Michaelson and Caitlin Collins correct that.
Speaker 2: One's tomorrow on Cinco de Drinco. You can watch the California candidate's debate on national television. And then on Thursday, NBCLA is going to have a debate. I'm sure it will be on all the NBC stations, but it's going to be a combo platter. It's going to be an LA mayor's debate and then a governor's debate, and then apparently I think there's no debates next week, but the week after we've got more debates.
Speaker 1: And I also believe there's a debate that's going to be going on in Sacramento involving the candidates for insurance Commissioner.
Speaker 2: There have been a few of those, but yes, I don't think they're going to get any kind of television presence. But they're happening, CBS.
Speaker 1: I believe we're going to have one of the candidates for Insurance Commissioner on the program.
Speaker 4: Later in the week, CBS California will host another debate in partnership with the San Francisco Examiner, and we'll have live coverage that begins at five point thirty.
Speaker 2: So there you go. That's the latest on the governor's race and the race to replace Ricardo Lara.
Speaker 3: Chill Basing is rarely comfortable.
Speaker 1: You here's an interesting wrinkle to this story. Typically, what happens for politicians, particularly state politicians, politicians who run for offices that have term limits, is when they get to the end of the road, when they're at the last stop on the subway, they're termed out of the Assembly, they're termed out of the Senate, they're turned out of whatever. What they do is they start raising money to run for something else, because if you don't continue to run, your career is over. And the jobs that they all want, they all want jobs that don't involve term limits. So if you get elected to the House of Representatives, you can stay there until you die, which many of them do. If you get elected to the United States Senate. You can stay there forever. There are some local offices depending on where you live, where there are no term limits, and you can be on your county board of supervisors forever, or mayor of your city forever, whatever. Ricardo Laura, who is work in politics his entire life. Before he was insurance commissioner, he was in the state Senate. Before he was in the state Senate, he was in the state Assembly. Before that, he worked for members of the legislature as a staffer. He's never really done anything else. He's not running for any other office. He's not running for lieutenant governor, he's not running for La County Board of Supervisors. He's not running for anything, which means he must be aware that his performance as insurance commissioner was so bad and cut through the noise, he is unelectable even in a deep blue state like California.
Speaker 2: I mean, he pretty much said as much in that speech last year.
Speaker 8: And I may be criticized and dragged through the mud for it and get my wig snatched as the gig.
Speaker 1: I say, maybe he is more self aware than we thought he was. I wonder what he's going to do next.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure there will be some kind of consulting gig, although he doesn't have any more political powers. So what are the insurance companies need him for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're the insurance companies, at this point, you've gotten all the juice out of the squeeze and he's lived like a king for eight years. So that's the payoff. You don't owe him a six figure income. You don't owe him lifetime employment, you don't owe him continued travel. Your business with him is done when he turns out. Maybe he believes that he's made genuine friendships in that industry and they're going to take care of him. But I wouldn't bet on it, would you.
Speaker 2: I don't think there are any local politicians who are going to appoint him to anything. I'll tell you that he is toxic.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. And Randy, if you missed my eulogy to Spirit Airlines the twelve o'clock hour and you want to find out what you missed out on. That's easy to do.
Speaker 2: John Phillips had some choice words for the downfall of Spirit Airlines, who went out of business over the weekend, stranding passengers all around the country. And if you want to give that a listen, search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcast, whether that's the Apple podcast app, iHeart Spotify, search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe you get download all the episodes. You can do a Google on the YouTube, Get the free KABC app, get the free KSFO app. Get the KMJ now app because we're on that station Saturdays at noon. So many ways to listen live to the show wherever you are thanks to streaming, and download all the podcasts and listen whenever you want. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's Johnny. Don't like show at gmail dot com? Well, Randy. It was yet another tough weekend in the city of Dumby.
Speaker 2: The City of Oakland is losing yet Another business in downtown, a wine bar that only opened three years ago, is Colin at quits because, according to the owner, downtown is a ghost town.
Speaker 10: It's a lot of crime.
Speaker 2: Now for more here is kpix in the Bay.
Speaker 4: Utation as a destination for food and culture. A slow downtown Oakland economy means many small businesses are struggling. According to a report from the commercial real estate firm Kushma on Wakefield, about thirty eight percent of Oakland's downtown office space sad empty at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 2: Thirty eight percent.
Speaker 4: That's ridiculous and that's led to hard times for small businesses that rely on office workers and visitors. Doland reports on a downtown wine bar, it's now going to be closing down.
Speaker 11: Oakland is known for its amazing food scene and culture. In fact, a travel magazine named Oakland the best food city for the past two years.
Speaker 2: Well, it was a voter submitted survey, so there may have been some I'm sure the food scene in Oakland is great, but how you put that up against New Orleans or Santa Fe. I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: How much do you want to bet that the local leaders are blaming all of this on COVID.
Speaker 11: Still oh they are Yeah, Downtown still struggles to draw visitors to spend money here. Great one, amazing hospitality and even better company. But this is the final chapter for the three and a half year old wine bar. Coco Newah.
Speaker 10: I have to close the doors on July fifth. I cannot sustain anymore.
Speaker 2: You sure it's not Coco Noir like Pino Noir.
Speaker 1: I think you're onto something.
Speaker 11: Coco Newah.
Speaker 10: I have to close the doors on July fifth. I cannot sustain anymore. Downtown right now, very low foot traffic.
Speaker 11: Owner and Somalia Alicia Kidd worked long hours and tried innovative ideas to attract customers.
Speaker 2: The innovative idea was karaoke.
Speaker 1: Huh, maybe the Dong family is having a celebration over there.
Speaker 11: But the Oakland native says, it's tough when downtown feels like a ghost town.
Speaker 10: I can only throw so many events. It's dead downtown. We have to get more foot traffic, we have to create more engagement. I had plans. I wanted to do something with the World Cup, meaning like host block parties. I had big plans. But if I'm not able to sustain and get support from my city.
Speaker 2: It is really sad to see. I saw a graft today and it's just when you see it in you realize ten years ago Oakland had three major sports teams.
Speaker 1: Well. It was also a huge food scene too, because Oakland, like many places in California and around the nation for that matter, if it's safe and if the government is working, people want to be there. I mean, Oakland is a beautiful city in theory. It's right on the water. The views that you get are of San Francisco and the other side of the Bay. That should be some of the most primo real estate in the entire state of California. But if you put Shang Tauen company in charge of the city, you're going to drive it into the ground.
Speaker 12: That's right.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 10: That is amazing. Retention. You know, we need retention programs.
Speaker 11: The Chamber of Commerce is Downtown's commercial vacancy rape remains high. Business owners tell me the lack of office workers and visitors means they rely heavily on loyal customers. One owner says, downtown it is still operating in a pandemic era economy.
Speaker 2: Pandemic was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: But that is the gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 11: They're urging the city to invest and host more events to draw people back.
Speaker 10: The city of Oakland, I feel, is losing a gym. You know, this business is more than wine. It's about community, it's about the jobs.
Speaker 2: I mean it was about the wine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. People show up to a wine bar for the wine. They don't show up to a wine bar to hear what their neighbors think about the insurance commissioner's race.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: At a weekend grand opening event, council member Carol Fife says the city is making progress, but has a lot more work to do, including on public safety.
Speaker 2: By the way, Carol Fife was one of the defund the police city council people here so glad to see she's still employed.
Speaker 11: She says, while crime has dropped significantly, in fact check.
Speaker 1: This is what they all say. Oh yeah, if you understand the statistics, crime is actually in free fall at Oakland. Oh yeah, turn on the local news.
Speaker 13: She says.
Speaker 11: While crime has dropped significantly, public perception has not caught up.
Speaker 14: I wonder why it is not the role of government to subsidize a private business.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 14: We have our own internal challenges that we're working through with the City of Oakland. I want all businesses to thrive, and at the same time, it's difficult to make sure every single business that goes into becoming an entrepreneur is the successful entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: Well, the City of Oakland doesn't have to make sure the business is successful, but the City of Oakland should make sure that it is safe to visit the business. Otherwise people will not That's on the city. People won't walk around downtown Oakland if it's full of garbage. That's on the city.
Speaker 1: No, but from the point of view of the city, they don't need to actually make Oakland safe. They need the appearance of safety.
Speaker 14: What we're doing is partnering with the chamber. We're partnering as the City of Oakland with other organizations like Visit Oakland to bring attention to the businesses. Yes, we have our challenges, but we also have our opportunities.
Speaker 2: I'm China, I for the life of me, will never understand why you go through all of the hassle of recalling Shang Tal and we still got.
Speaker 7: Our Oakland A's baby, No you.
Speaker 2: Don't and replace her with Barbara Lee quite frankly, and.
Speaker 1: You know what you're the first person to point this out. The more I hear her, the more I hear Erkele in her voice.
Speaker 3: The businesses.
Speaker 14: Yes, we have our challenges, we also have our opportunities. So I'm trying to get people to understand that we've got to do both deal our challenges but also have a.
Speaker 11: Vision and know that the opportunities are fasting.
Speaker 2: She just said nothing.
Speaker 1: She's a former member of the House of Representatives. That's what they do.
Speaker 2: There were like thirty words there and none of them meant anything for Alicia.
Speaker 11: That opportunity and that dream are nearing an end.
Speaker 10: I'm just really really sad.
Speaker 2: There you go, we lost yet another business in the city of Oakland because no one's going downtown and I wonder why.
Speaker 1: And Randy, that wasn't the only thing that happened in Oakland over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, you had First Fridays for the month of May, and after First Fridays concluded, some people got a little violent and someone decided to drive their car and the curb crashing into people. Uh oh, for more, here's k TVU Fox two in the Bay.
Speaker 13: This is the ten.
Speaker 5: O'clock news on KTVU Fox Too.
Speaker 16: Now at en a fight breaks out on the streets of Oakland and a car ran into a crowd on the sidewalk.
Speaker 13: Really sad because we're trying to get.
Speaker 2: Of course, Noel Gaio's in this story.
Speaker 1: He is handwringing in just about every crime story in Oakland.
Speaker 13: Really sad because we're trying to get Oakland back. Do we can celebrate it, enjoy it?
Speaker 16: Tonight seven people are hospitalized. The youngest victim is fifteen years old. Good evening on this Saturday. I'm Christina Rendon. Tonight police are searching for the reckless driver. Oakland Police say this happened overnight in your eighteenth Street and Telegraph Avenue. The video here showing the aftermath, with the driver crashing into a light pole right outside the Oakland Ice Center. The woman inside took off running.
Speaker 2: Katy, oh boy, I said, hell no, baby boy, let me get up on.
Speaker 15: Out of here.
Speaker 16: KTV is Jesse. Gary is live in Oakland with the latest in the story, Jesse.
Speaker 17: Christina, Good evening to you. Oakland Police detectives saying tonight they're pursuing several leads developed from community tips and evidence collected at the scene. They say an arrest is imminent. The larger problem for the city convincing residents and outsiders that violence around and near First Friday events is not a reflection of First Friday events.
Speaker 2: Every First Friday there's some kind of ruckus that happens afterwards.
Speaker 9: Light clockwork, early seven, whoa early?
Speaker 15: Wait?
Speaker 2: Now those people are those roosters.
Speaker 1: A case could be made early.
Speaker 17: Early Saturday morning chaos as this car Koreem's to a stop after the driver clips of fence, then a light near the Oakland Ice Center. She gets out and runs, leaving damage and seven injured pedestrians in her wake.
Speaker 12: It makes me really sad. It's really unfortunate that people not only like you know, a dish.
Speaker 2: Why her insurance rates are gonna balloon up?
Speaker 1: Gee, I wonder why no one wants to go down to downtown Oakland for wine.
Speaker 12: Tasting destroy people's property and you know causerukis like that. But then to see how people interact with each other too.
Speaker 17: In addition to the crash, several fist fights breaking out in the early morning hours following First Fridays.
Speaker 2: What a family friendly, fun event sounds like it now.
Speaker 18: I've been going to First Friday since I was a kid, and quite Honestly, it's like always just been fun things happen, you know. I guess it's just awareness just to like, you know, try to do better, just you know, stop the violence a.
Speaker 1: Bit, not stop it, but just stop it a bit, just a tad.
Speaker 17: The monthly street festival and cultural event takes place for four and a half hours from twenty second to only seventh Streets along Telegraph Avenue, but some attendees linger later into the night, which could have led to the violence. In a statement, the First Friday's Event team says, in part, the incident occurred outside of both our permittent event footprint and our hours of operation.
Speaker 2: This was just near First Fridays, so don't blame First Fridays.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that they just immediately go into cya mode.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 17: This month's event was a positive and well attended celebration of Oakland's one hundred and seventy fourth birthday.
Speaker 13: I was there at the event trying to encourage people promoting it. It was a beautiful event.
Speaker 17: Fifth District Councilman Noel Gio says this city has a long history.
Speaker 2: Does he wear the hazard jacket when he goes to First Fridays because that's usually his move.
Speaker 1: Well he needs a helmet more than that.
Speaker 17: Fifth District Councilman Noel Geio says this city has a long history struggling to keep positive events such as First Fridays in the spotlight when violence erupts.
Speaker 13: We're trying to get Oakland back. Do we can celebrate enjoy it, so we need to continue the First Fridays.
Speaker 17: The next event is schedule June fifth. Some residents say they'll pass on attending.
Speaker 12: Probably not after seeing that, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to be out at First Friday, like I need a Chrysler to the abdomen.
Speaker 17: But others say it's up to everyone to make sure the bad actors leave and not a successful city event.
Speaker 18: Just got to keep loving your heart. That's the best thing to do, is I mean, you got to stop. There's hate in the world. There's going to be fighting, of course, but as long as you kind of keep loving your heart, try to focus on what's important, that's all you can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why don't you go with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What kind of tire tracks do you think are going to be on his back?
Speaker 17: Oakland Police say that people who are injured, six adults and one fifteen year old are all reported in stable condition that we're asking anyone with information and video evidence to get in contact with them. We're live in Oakland this evening. Jesse Gary, KTVU, Fox Unius Christina will go back to you inside the studio.
Speaker 2: There you go, yet another case of May after a first Friday's event in Oakland? How difficult could it be to find out who the driver was? Wouldn't the car be registered to them? Unless, of course, the working assumption is the cars just stolen? Well? Is it a Kia Oakland?
Speaker 4: I love you, but you don't love me?
Speaker 1: Good point eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny, don't like show at gmail dot com. Let's go to Dave and Calabasas.
Speaker 15: Dave, Hello, I love the way in why I think Javio with Sarah's doing so well in the polls, and it's because he looks and sounds the most like the governor strictly based in appearance. People don't know what's going on. I mean you guys are smart, and you know that he gave all the wrong answers. But Matt, he looks like a surfer. He looks too young, and he's a lightweight. Tom Steyer looks like he's dead. Katie Porter, she needs to put on a jacket. She looks like a secretary that should be getting me my coffee in those sleeveless dresses. Plus she reminds me of Kathy Bates from Misery, So she's not gonna win. And when you get down to it, aavi of the Sarah. He just looks and has the tone of what a governor, and people don't know which ways up. So that's why he's doing well. In my opinion, what do you guys think?
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of truth to the point that you just made, because when you look at politics and you look at people running for office, a lot of it is casting. Because when you think about what makes the movie business work, there are any number of actors out there who can read the lines and play the part of any number of characters in movies. A lot of trained actors out there who do a good job at the craft. The difference between an actor who can read the lines and do the part. And one who is super successful is who can sell tickets, who can motivate audiences to go to the movie theater on a Friday night, on Date night and spend a gazillion dollars to watch a flick. And there are very few people. There are very few charismatic actors who have that ability. In the old days, it was easy to point out anytime Arnold Schwarzeneger was opening up a movie, you knew it would be a money in the bank winner. Even the dogs like Last Action Hero Sylvester Stallone had that ability. There are certain actors today. I guess you could make that argument for there's certain people that'll see anything that George Clooney's in, or Julia Roberts or fill in the But that's what separates the superstars from the working actors, from the people who could just read the lines but not sell the tickets. And when you look at Javier Bessera in terms of casting, if you were casting a movie where you were trying to cast someone to play the role of the governor of the state of California, he looks like that. He's a Latino guy who's got the hair and the glasses, and he wears the suits. You know. You notice by the way he typically you see him when you see him on television, he's typically in a tie. I don't remember was he in a tie er in the debate this last week, Randy, I don't think you wore a tie. That's a mistake. You should wear a tie. But yeah, no, he looks like someone if you were casting a television show or a movie that you would cast.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the call, sir, and I can also confirm on one of the things that Dave said because we were there in person. Tom Steyer did look half dead.
Speaker 1: He really did.
Speaker 2: He is way pastier than you see him on the TV commercials. He's way slower, he's way skinnier. He does not look healthy.
Speaker 1: No, No, The three things being there in person that jumped out at me were Tom Steyer looked ancient, Katie Porter has lost one hundred pounds, and during the breaks, Antonio Viera Gosa had the most energy out of all of them. He was bouncing around like he was on a Pogo's dig.
Speaker 2: Is his last hurrah