Speaker 1: Something's not right here.
Speaker 2: Crime is up all over the state, and the city is out of control.
Speaker 3: The economy is sick, axes are high.
Speaker 1: Housing is expensive, and businesses are leaving, leaving.
Speaker 3: California and Meland's fixing and John Phillips is just the man to leave the charge. It's the Fix California Hour with John Phillips and Randy.
Speaker 2: Wag and we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 1: John, there's a little bit of a debate going on in the chat room right now at Johnny don't like dot com. Some of our listeners think we should do a podcast from the Tijuanna River, and some of our listeners think we should do a live broadcast from the Tijuana River. I don't think anyone's showing up if we do that. I know we're popular, but we're not that popular.
Speaker 2: What everyone wants to go for a swim? Bring your penis en eight hundred two two two five two two two. Is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. She is a correspondent for CBS News in California. You can follow her on exit Juliet Watts TV. Julie Watts Welcome.
Speaker 4: Hello, gentlemen, thanks for having me, well.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming back, and you have yet another report that went all over the place. Of course, we spoke to you about your last one about diaper gate, and now you have one about the high speed rail explaining just exactly why the state of California isn't getting the federal dollars they were expecting.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, well, we found that they didn't buy the trains they were. They promised the Feds they would buy the trains by a certain date. They didn't, and up administration pulled the funding, and so they sued and they said they promised the court they would buy the trains by another date. They didn't, And fast forward two years, they still have not purchased the trains. It is literally listed as TBD on the high speed Rail website. And the issue there is that the trains take four years to build, and initially they were supposed to four years to test.
Speaker 4: Now they've shortened that to two years.
Speaker 5: But either way, we still don't have the trains, and so the longer you wait, the farther it pushes out the ultimate deadline.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes the law could land somewhere in a great area. But if you're dealing with contract law, and the contract says you get the money if you buy the train by a certain date, and you don't buy the train by a certain date, why in the world did the State of California even take this to court in the first place. Shouldn't their lawyers have told them this is a losing argument.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 5: And I will say when I asked ag Bonta about why he dropped the suit, he made it very clear that there are some cases that the Training General files on his own and some that the Trade General files on behalf of one of the state agencies that he's required to work for, right and so this was the latter. He said, Listen, we dropped the suit, and I think it was the right thing to do. I think when they filed the suit initially the argument was, listen, we may have missed the first deadline to buy these trains, but if we buy them this year, we can still meet the final deadline. And that's really what matters, not the day we buy the trains, but will the project be done at the appropriate time. So they argued, listen, we will till the judge, we will buy them by the end of this year, which still keeps us on track to finish by twenty thirty three. And then when they missed that deadline, they sort of that was their primary argument. They couldn't continue, so they had to quietly drop the lawsuit. Le SA's what sources inside the administration tell me.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of the purchase of the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum, where the group that was buying the building missed all of their deadlines and they go, oh, don't worry, we're gonna get it by the final deadline, so everything is on track and stop pushing back on us. And of course the group didn't have the money and the whole deal fell apart. We wouldn't make the final deadline. I've seen no metric at all that says that we're going to do anything on time regarding this train. Did they provide any proof at all that indicated that they would meet that final date.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, right now, we still don't have a lot of responses. I mean, they still haven't explained to us why we didn't buy the trains. We've asked the news and administration and high speed Rail today my producer Tyler, who you see walking around behind me back here, I was trying to move the board so that you were in private back there. We were at the Capital today talking to basically all the transportation chairs and vice chairs, asking you know, hey, can you at least find out why we've not purchased the trains? And so I'm hoping to get that information for you know, California taxpayers. Frankly, here's the exact reason why we haven't purchased them. I think they'll argue that they could still meet the twenty thirty three deadline for of course the shortened version of the high speed rail project.
Speaker 4: But you know, at the end of the.
Speaker 5: Day, for me, it was important that we were able to sort of show this to California taxpayers and say, listen, let's not pretend that we are moving in a direction that we're not. Here's actually what happened. We still don't have these trains. And here's why that matters.
Speaker 2: When you speak to the members of the various transportation committees, the Committee and the Senate, the Committee and the Assembly. How much frustration do you see from those members about the pacing or I guess the all of the delays associated with this train, because we spoke with Barbara Stone, the political scientist, earlier this week and I asked her about that, and she said, the union still want the train. So as long as the union still want the train, the train is not going anywhere, at least with the current makeup of the legislature. So while they're frustrated, they're going to keep on supporting it until the Unions turn south on it for some reason.
Speaker 4: You know. It's it depends on the party right.
Speaker 5: So basically, all the Republicans that we speak to say, let's just cut bait and move on. The Democrats say, you know, we need to get this done. This is really important for California. So I think there is definitely frustration among you know, lawmakers from both parties.
Speaker 4: It's interesting. I spoke with.
Speaker 5: One of the Assembly member today who represents a district where this you know, shorter version of the train will actually go, and they are all of these half built you know, overpasses there, and I said, wouldn't you want to at least just finish this portion that goes through your district, and he said, no, I'd rather take it down and spend the money somewhere else. So, you know, to a person, the republic lawmakers makers we talk too are very frustrated and they want to see this money somewhere else. And to a person, the Democratic lawmakers we talk to say, yeah, we are frustrated. There needs to be more accountability, but we are committed at least to this. You know first portion of high speed rail, Well, you.
Speaker 2: Drive through the Central Valley where the portions of it have been built, and it's just kind of an eye sore because it's this big thing that is attached to nothing. It's not like anyone can buy a ticket on a train and use it. It's just there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I honestly have only seen it in pictures. I haven't actually driven through the Central Valley to see these portions of it. But you know, I think for folks who live in the Central Valley, it's just a constant reminder of this thing that's supposed to be coming to Fruition that frankly isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the weirdest thing. It's like having in my old neighborhood when I was a child, there was a house that was being built and they ran out of money and the house was like half built, and then they just walked away from it. And then we had this house, half built house that was just in the neighborhood for like decades until someone came in and decided they were going to finish the project. It was the weirdest thing ever. But that's the feeling that you get when you drive by this thing where you see this I'm not even going to say half built, maybe one percent built project and it's just there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know, one of the we're in the process of editing the sort of video television version of this story.
Speaker 4: We published it first.
Speaker 5: And in it you can see Governor Newsom and the high speed Rail CEO, among others, hammering nails into a track. And you know what we reveal is that was actually just a prop that wasn't it's not really a track. It's still there or still you know, will ever be used. It certainly wasn't a high speed rail track. And we spoke to the Inspector in General of high speed Rail. Right, this is the watchdog, the guy who's supposed to be making sure the high speed Rail eventually gets this project done right, And he is working on a bill right now that we here may actually die on Monday in the Appropriations Committee that would give him the resources and the staffing he needs to actually hold high speed Rail accountable. So I think, you know, I have all that to say. I think it's really important that we that we do keep eyes on this project. It starts to kind of become white noise. Oh high speed Rail. I'm talking about it forever and it's never going to come to fudition.
Speaker 4: But I think that it.
Speaker 5: Really does shine a light on other issues within the legislator legislature that this project really highlights.
Speaker 2: Do you think the expectation was that Kamala Harris would win the election or Joe Biden would win the election, and we'd be given some kind of waiver of Okay, well you're not going to meet this deadline by this date, but we'll give you a waiver and we'll extend it, and the money is still going to come in.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Actually, I spoke with the chair of the Senate Transportation Committee today and he said exactly that, in fact, he didn't think that the Trump administration should have pulled the funding even though we didn't purchase the trains. He said, listen, you know under previous administrations they would just extend it. Nothing ever happens exactly on the schedule. But what's important is do we hit that end goal?
Speaker 4: And I did push back.
Speaker 5: Several times saying, okay, but if you're giving money to an agency that is not meeting its major milestones, do you continue to give that agency money. I didn't really get a straight answer there, but you know, I think that's a really important question. And the answer is absolutely. We're a different administration. I believe that is sort of the standard. Yeah, they just give you extensions.
Speaker 2: We know that the High speed Rail Authority is an authority that does not like to talk to the press. You have to really push them to get information out of them. In many cases, not just with issues related to this, but I mean so many issues since that agency came to be. Of all of the agencies and departments within the state of California, is this the hardest one to get information out of?
Speaker 4: Oh? Not even close, not even close. Here's some deal. We have an inspector general.
Speaker 5: There is there is a guy an agency right that their whole job is to investigate high speed rail, So it's actually much easier to get information because you have somebody whose job it is to investigate them. It's hard to get information out of the State Auditor's office at this point under the previous auditor as much easier Now it's I can't get an interview to save my life HHS Health and Human Services impossible to get to get information out of CDC are the corrections to Derartman. I had tried for years to get interviews with folks inside that agency. So no, this is really just state agencies in general in California are very difficult to get information out of it.
Speaker 2: And it's so weird because you look at just the political climate that we exist in today, where we have a governor who is now termed out, so it's not like he's going to run for governor again, and he can pretty much do whatever he wants. Is a lame duck. If he wants to talk to the press or direct his agencies to speak to the press, he can do that at any time he wants to do it. I mean, he's running for president, and certainly I think that's the focus of what he's thinking about right now. But we have a candidate who is the leading candidate to replace him as Governor, Javier Bessera, who's operating his campaign kind of that way where I don't think he's had a press avail since early June, right after the election, and he had a big event yesterday in Sacramento and he refused to stick around and take questions, And you go, Okay, if this is the way it is now with a guy who has nothing to lose, imagine what it's going to be like in the future for a guy who's running his campaign this way.
Speaker 5: It's funny you say that because I was literally standing in the Assembly hallway today chatting with other reporters about just that. I've shared the video that one of our colleagues here in Sacramento shot of Bessara. So that's the interview that you're talking about, where she was sort of, you know, chasing him back to his car, asking if he was going to do the debate, and it got a lot of criticism.
Speaker 4: I got criticism for sharing it on Twitter.
Speaker 5: You know, oh that was a you know, a gorilla tactic. And what I explained to folks on Twitter, and I think it's important is if these lawmakers avoid the media. You can't just pull the press conference, say you were scripted, you know, whatever your scripted speech is, and then not answer questions. We're in a world right now where I think at least the Sack Press Corp Is getting more comfortable with tracking folks down to get answers right. And so, but we were sitting there today saying, gosh, if this is going to be them, it's already hard enough to talk to our for us to get an interview with our current governor, it's going to be very difficult if faber Vissia is the next governor and doesn't want to sit down and chat with us. But here's the deal about politicians is at some point you know where they're going to be right, and so we the media have the credentials to be in the room with them, and if we really want to ask the.
Speaker 4: Question, we will.
Speaker 2: And can you also give a background to how this works, where before a reporter chases down a politician or chases down a public official, there are usually many requests in private for an interview, for comment, for some kind of access to them, and it's only after many doors are slammed that something like that happens.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and we call them, you know, unscheduled interviews. But every reporter worth their salt, and there may be some out there that just want the clickbait and the chases and so, but every reporter that I know in the press corps, you send several emails, you make phone calls requesting, hey, can we please sit down with you? And frankly, we all would much prefer to sit down with nice lighting and good cameras and ask the question and have a conversation. But it's the follow up questions that I think you see when I do interviews with people in the past that they don't like the follow up questions, and so that is what they're avoiding. And so at some point you have to say, listen, I'm not doing this for me. I'm not doing this to do a story. I'm doing this for the public because the public has a right to know the answers to these questions. And generally, when I'm asking questions, I'm asking questions that I think the public wants to know. And so yes, then we do what it's called the unscheduled interview, and we'll ask the question that we're trying.
Speaker 4: To get an answer to, and a lot of times.
Speaker 5: I think after a few of those, the politicians' staff starts to get wise and says, okay, okay, we'll give them the interview because they look better sitting down than running away from the reporter.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw it, but there was a piece in the California Post that was written by John Fleischman about the Besara strategy for this election. And essentially what Fleischmann said is when you look at voter registration in California, Democrats outnumber Republicans by about two to one, and the final results in the primary mirrored the final results from the last gubernatorial election, where Democrats had little over sixty percent Republicans a little under forty percent. And I think the expectation is that that's where this election is going to go, or that's the most likely place for this election to go. And the strategy for Bessera is he can get knocked for not talking to the press, and he'll take a certain certain hit for that, but that hit is extremely minimal compared to the hit he would take if he were to have a flub or have some kind of embarrassing moment that attracts negative attention. So the attitude is to do as little press as possible, have as few public events as possible, and just pretend like the election is not happening.
Speaker 5: I mean, I obviously I can't confirm that because I have not actually spoken with his staff about why he's avoiding the public.
Speaker 4: But I will say this.
Speaker 5: I spoke with somebody, a political consultant who I respect and believe, recently, who said, listen, based on the pulling and based on the data that they have, but Sarah could drop out and Steve Hilton still wouldn't win. I mean, they really believe that this is a done deal, that be Sarah's going to be the next governor, and the hope for Hilton is to just bring you know, Republicans out to the polls to vote in you know, their way on ballot measures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll tell you. You go back to that Senate race between Adam Schiff and Steve Garvey, and essentially Schiff had kind of a similar strategy. He didn't do a lot of media, he didn't have a lot of events, and he just expected to ride the wave of the registration advantage to victory and it worked out that way for him. The difference between the two is that Steve Garvey kind of did the same thing. I remember in the middle of the campaign he went on this law trip to Israel, and I go, dude, don't you have business here? But he decided to go on the trip. Anyway, Steve Hilton is a lot more active of a candidate than Steve Garvey was or Brian Dolly was when he ran against Gavin Newsom the last time around. And it'll be interesting to see how Steve Hilton plays his cand of cards to try to draw Javier Bessera out of the basement and into a public forum or public forums where he does answer questions about what the future of the state looks like should he be elected governor.
Speaker 5: You know, it's interesting and to me that was the most interesting part of our CBS California debate, when you know, they just happened to be standing next to each other on the stage. That wasn't pre planned. It was just, you know, we picked the names out of a hat. But the two of them debating each other was very interesting. And I will say the thing with Steve Hilton that I've thought was interesting from the beginning is that he was considered a sort of moderate, almost progressive when he was in politics in the UK, and people a lot of folks still don't even know that he was very high up in politics in the UK.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: He he had a lot to do with which he will say was a mistake, but Brexit, but he was considered progressive. And so now, yes he is a Republican, but he could appeal to moderate Democrats. And you know, the question that I asked all the candidates that got you know, a lot of heat with the Katie Borter interview was Trump got six million votes. And I will say Hilton's camp told me early on, we only need five million in change in order to win and become governor. And so I think their strategy is if we can bring out six million people to vote for Hilton, then he could win. I don't know that that's possible, that's not my area of expertise, but I think that that's the plan. And then meanwhile, on the other side, you have folks saying that Jabber Bessara could just sleep for the rest of the campaign and still win.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: One of the questions it hasn't been asked to Besserah because he hasn't made self available to the public which I think is an important one. Why hasn't he been to Boyle Heights since they've experienced that public health disaster, that environmental disaster that is not just in one of the biggest population centers of the state, but an area that was in his old assembly district and in his congressional district, an area that he represented legislatively one way or the other for many, many, many years. Newsom hasn't shown up. He hasn't shown up, and I can't, for the life of me figure out, Well, I know why he hasn't been asked about it, He hasn't given us the opportunity, but why we're still waiting to figure out when he's going to show up and meet with people down there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think there's probably a lot of questions like that that people would like to ask. And you know, I did hear today as I was chatting with the other reporters about what happened yesterday, that his team is saying that he is going to start doing California media veils. So it'll be interesting to see if he does start sitting down with reporters. Of of course we'll ask for uh for an interview, But yeah, it should be interesting to see what sort of.
Speaker 4: Questions he gets.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I know that's not a Science Fair project behind you, but whatever it is, I can't wait to see the report when it comes out.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, you're in tune in next week for the visual aid that is behind us.
Speaker 2: All right, Julie Wats from CBS California, thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: You can follow Julie on Exit Julie Watts TV. It's the John Phillips Show. It's the John Phillips Show. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. And if you'd like to watch us perform the show live and participate in the chat and click that like button, Randy, it's easy to do at Johnny don't Like dot com.
Speaker 1: We've made it so simple. Well, I paid my own money for a domain name, because telling you how to find a YouTube channel can be kind of confusing sometimes, so now we made it real easy Johnny don't like dot com. It's as simple as that type that in. It takes you right to the YouTube channel, whether you're on your phone or your browser. You can subscribe, which we're trying to get to five thousand subscribers, so Johnny and I can go do a broadcast from the Tijuana River. You can hit the like button and tell YouTube that our show is fun and that they should send it to more people. You can play around in the chat room, and there's also tons of on demand content. When we sign off at three, some of the best videos of the day go up there the Accountability Podcast, and we highly encourage you not only to watch our on demand content, but like all of that and comment. Your comments are very important. We want to hear from you.
Speaker 2: All Right, it's time to open up the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 1: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 3: Nice see time for the California Crime Bloader.
Speaker 2: And the first edition of today's Blotter takes us to my friend Suzanne summers hometown of San Bruno.
Speaker 1: Somebody is Robin Postal Carriers and the Postmaster General has put out one hundred and fifty thousand dollars reward for more here's Cron four for.
Speaker 7: Streaming free on the Corn four plus mort TV app on Grant Lotus and.
Speaker 8: I'm Vicky Leviakis. A reward is now being offered to find the person who allegedly attacked a postal worker in San Bruno. Anyone with information that leads to an arrest could get a check for one hundred and fifty thousand dollars four as.
Speaker 7: Rob Nesbitz spoke with the US Postal Inspector about how often male workers find themselves at risk and the robbery at.
Speaker 9: This San Bruno post office happened on July thirtieth, but it wasn't a one time occurrence.
Speaker 1: These were back again. They didn't read that sign that says armed robbery post office will give you twenty five years in federal prison.
Speaker 2: You think it was Newman or Cliff Claven.
Speaker 9: Wednesday morning and stole more mail caught on camera. Investigators shared this video showing a suspect stealing four tubs of mail from the San Bruno post office on Huntington, ab.
Speaker 1: Boy, They're gonna just love opening up my bills.
Speaker 2: Okay, if they steal your mail, do they have to show up for your jury duty summons? Well?
Speaker 1: That is why it is always a very realistic excuse that I never got the summons? What are you talking about? It never showed up in the mail. Do you have any proof that it showed up in the mail? Then leave me alone.
Speaker 9: US Postal Inspector Matthew Norfleet says the suspect also committed assault.
Speaker 6: That person seen in the video. We believe shoved a postal worker to the ground. And then you can see those those mail tubs in his hand in the video. Those are suspected to be stolen mail, and he's loading him into his car.
Speaker 1: Images old, what is the plan here? To get as many bed bath and beyond coupons as you can and cash in?
Speaker 2: Maybe it was John Witherspoon from the Friday movies.
Speaker 9: So show the suspects car a silver Lexus RX three point fifty.
Speaker 1: This was not a one off crime.
Speaker 9: Norfleet says that more thieves came to the same location Wednesday morning with a different vehicle, and he believes the two incidents are connected.
Speaker 6: Male thieves.
Speaker 1: People are just brazenly running into the post office and stealing mail on a daily basis. What the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: What are they expecting to find a birthday card from a grandma to a grandson who gave him eleven dollars in cash for his eleventh birthday.
Speaker 6: We're really just trying to get mail with financial instruments in it, because that's how they make money off this crime. And so we think it's the financial benefits of doing that fraud that's motivating the robberies, that's putting postal workers at risk.
Speaker 1: The US Post Maybe we've got to change up the way that we deliver credit cards. I'm sure that it is. You know, a good business model for Wells Fargo, Chase, what have you to send you a credit card even though you did not ask for one. But you know, when you sign up with American Express, they send you that card in one day FedEx in a very special box. Maybe we shouldn't have credit cards in the regular mail of is this susceptible to threats?
Speaker 9: So Inspection Service is offering a reward of up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for information that leads to an arrest and conviction of the person caught in the act.
Speaker 1: And how hard could this be? We've got the license plate number, Yeah, cameras ah way, we turned all those off.
Speaker 2: This isn't exactly like finding who kidnapped the Lindbergh baby. We should be able to figure this one out.
Speaker 9: According to Norfleet, reward money has become more common as crimes against postal service workers are on the ride.
Speaker 6: He peaked around two thousand and four of robberies of postal workers, and around that time the Postal Service and the Postal Inspection Service raised the amount of money available for a reward in a case like this.
Speaker 9: If you visited the San Bruno post office or dropped mail in one of its collection boxes, you might have had your mail stolen. If you have any information about the robbery, you can call eight seven seven eight seven six two four y y five reporting in San Bruno. I'm Robin asbit Crown for news.
Speaker 7: From San Bruno to San Leandro and postal inspectors there searching for this person accused of attacking a USPS worker.
Speaker 1: What is going on with our postal carriers?
Speaker 2: The attacker looks like James Brown from the seventies.
Speaker 7: Outside of post office. Take a look at the screen. Authority say the employee was returning from a break at the Estudio station July twenty seventh when somebody approached him behind, punched her in the face and walked away.
Speaker 1: Invested, what is wrong with people?
Speaker 2: Give me those Betty White stamps?
Speaker 7: Sgeters have released these pictures of a suspect that they're offering a reward here as well of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for information that leads to an arrest in conviction.
Speaker 1: So there you go, all kinds of different attacks on post offices and postal carriers, whether we're talking about San Bruno or San Leandro, and of course, John, we can never do a story about the post office without remembering what happened last year in Oakland where they started tagging up the different postal vans and then when they drive to the wrong neighborhood they get shot at.
Speaker 2: All right, it's time to reopen the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 1: E's cashier's dummy.
Speaker 3: We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried.
Speaker 2: I the hell, no, Manny boy, Let me get up on out of here.
Speaker 3: It's the California Crime Bloater.
Speaker 2: And this edition of the Blotter takes us to San Francisco.
Speaker 1: The San Francisco real estate market is real hot, right now, I know I'm checking it out on zillo all the time. And if you're looking for a rental and you're trying to look for a deal, you might be getting susceptible to some kind of Scamalah. For more, here is kpix in the Bay.
Speaker 10: Long established that San Francisco has some very expensive real estate and trying to find the place of your dreams that is also something you can afford is more like a nightmare, sometimes just not possible. Just last week, a report from Zumper revealed the asking price for a two bedroom here in the city is now the highest of any major city in the country. We told you about that on this broadcast.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the AI boom right here.
Speaker 10: The median price for a two bedroom in SF top six thousand dollars. Experts said the two factors at play are the growing AI industry and a lower supply. Renters who are looking right now are competing for a smaller and smaller pool of places. So with people really desperate to find a place to live, scammers are living large. The FTC says since twenty twenty, people have reportedly reported nearly sixty five thousand rental scams, with about sixty five million dollars in losses.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think.
Speaker 10: Keep in mind a lot of scams are never reported, meaning that sixty five million could only be a fraction of what has actually been lost. As for where these scams are popping up, the FTC says more people do not.
Speaker 2: I repeat, this is going to be the most important information that you've heard all day. Do not buy anything off of Facebook. Do not sell anything off of Facebook. If you do that, you might be held at knife point. You might be scammed.
Speaker 1: Facebook Marketplace or Facebook groups. Anyone trying to advertise a rental listing on Facebook, you do not trust it. Look how much Facebook outweighs Craigslist when it comes to scam.
Speaker 2: Over half of all of the scams are on Facebook.
Speaker 10: About half of them reported seeing a fake post on Facebook. Another sixteen percent said the scam targeted a fake ad on Craigslist. And if you're thinking it's older people that are skimming Facebook and clicking on something that doesn't seem too fishy, that's not necessarily true. It's actually young people trying to navigate a challenging housing market, some of them for the first time.
Speaker 1: Well, and young people dumb enough to be using Facebook.
Speaker 2: You can go through a realtor for a rental. That is possible. And if you go through a realtor, you know they pass the test, you know they have a license, and you know that if they scam you, there's some recourse you have with the state.
Speaker 1: Well, you also know that the listing that they have is real.
Speaker 10: Yes, the FDC reported people ages eighteen to twenty nine are three times more likely than other adults to say they lost money to a rental scam. One of those victims was a twenty eight year old in San.
Speaker 4: Francisco who works at a tech startup.
Speaker 10: Like so many others here, he talked to our Kevin Coe so he could warn other people about the red flags to look out for.
Speaker 11: Shame on you, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: This poor guy taking.
Speaker 11: Advantage of people who are like in this market are very desperate.
Speaker 12: Alvin Tran would say that to his scammers if he knew who they were. The twenty eight year old product designer is a seasoned renter who's moved into two other places before sight unseen. He recently found.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't do that either, because you don't know who you're living next to. You don't know what's going on in the neighborhood. You don't know the history of the house, you don't know any of that information. Imagine if you live next to one of those homes that lights off fireworks twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point. But this is part of what happens when you have this red hot housing market in San Francisco. Properties get snatched up so quickly that you have people so desperate they're like, I don't even care, I don't even need to see it, just let me in. Not the greatest idea.
Speaker 12: Listening's online for this condo in the Castro, one on Zillo, and one on Craigslist.
Speaker 1: People are still using Craigslist in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Understand why you do that. When I bought my house, I went through a realtor and I said, before you even take me there, I want to know. Is the hoa solvent? Is the neighborhood a mess? Are there any obvious problems going on on that street in that community? You can have a professional whose job it is to figure all that out. Who gets a commission if you decide to move in, Why in the world you would bypass that to do it on your own with some stranger who comes from god knows where on Facebook. They might not even be in the country. If you're doing it on site unseen, you're just gonna mail someone a check.
Speaker 11: Pashed out on Zillo twice, actually asking if I could schedule a tour, and I did not get any response.
Speaker 12: To his luck, he thought his email to the Craigslist post was returned.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, big red flag. You reached out on Zillo and you got nothing. So you reached out to Craigslist and you got a response.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I'm using a legit website. I get no response. Let's go to the illegitimate website and see what kind of action we can find there.
Speaker 1: Now, do you think that he only uses Craigslist for apartment listings or does he hang out around misconnections or casual encounters. That's still a thing.
Speaker 12: So perfect timing his current apartment planned to raise his rent by seven hundred dollars if he stayed. Soon, he got a text from James telling him he got over seventy inquiries for Alvin's dream home and asked if he could come by that day. Alvin took this video of what he hoped would be his next home. There were also six or seven groups of other perspective renters, or in Alvin's world, a lot of competition.
Speaker 11: When I was touring in person, I saw someone fill out their application and turn it in.
Speaker 1: Are these all other people that are getting scammed? Or are these plans to make you think, oh, you better sign the papers right now?
Speaker 2: You see. That's the only part I'm not sure about, because they could very easily be plans, but they could also be marks.
Speaker 11: During the tour, so I know that people were very interested and I needed to move fast and be aggressive to potentially hopefully secure the unit.
Speaker 2: You know what I think they are. I think they're marks too, and I think that whoever it was that was running the scam probably scam multiple groups of people for the same property.
Speaker 12: Exactly what Alvin did, and he was soon approved, receiving this confirmation email, including an attachment of a lease that Alvin signed. Then, following instructions, he and his roommate wired a security deposit first and last month's rent.
Speaker 1: Your first and last is eighteen thousand dollars price, he plays it wasn't even that big. Well, I guess if you want to live in the castro.
Speaker 12: Totally eighteen thousand, six hundred dollars.
Speaker 11: I honestly did not think anything was weird because I had seen the property in person, and I had talked for someone with the same name.
Speaker 12: On the day he was scheduled to pick up his keys, no one showed up. Alvin reached out to the Zilo listing shown here, who was the real property manager. But the Craigslist listing was fake, copying information from the reels listing to appear legit.
Speaker 1: See, they take all the pictures that are on Zilo and then make a fake listing, and I guess they found a time where nobody was around where they could get in there, and they made it seem like they were the ones you were renting to, when really they just stole your money.
Speaker 2: Great, it's horrible.
Speaker 13: To hear about these types of scams.
Speaker 1: A two bed, two bath, fourteen hundred square feet for I think it was sixty eight hundred a month.
Speaker 2: Wow, he's got to work in the tech industry.
Speaker 13: Yeah, in our local communities, whether it's a dollar and in this case, it's a huge amount of eighteen thousand dollars. Unfortunately, this is one of many scams that is very familiar to us here at BBBSF Bay Area.
Speaker 12: Al mcgalvin with San Francisco's Better Business Bureau, says the development of AI has made scamming easier than ever any information.
Speaker 1: So it's not just a tool that could be used to make silly images. For the commercial breaks.
Speaker 2: I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but for something like this, go through someone who's licensed and bonded. Go through someone who has a realtor's license, and this will well, it's likely not to happen.
Speaker 12: Available online like a Zillo listing can be used improperly. She also says to never wire money to property managers.
Speaker 14: It is almost impossible to get that money back. The reason is is because you know, for example, some of the payment apps ask you to verify the person. Are you sure you want to send you know, twenty five hundred dollars, It's your responsibility to verify the individual.
Speaker 12: Alvins filed twelve reports to various departments, including local authorities and federal agencies.
Speaker 1: He's he's not getting that money back.
Speaker 2: I like that. He's out for revenge, though, and he went to the news.
Speaker 12: Hoping he and his roommate can get their money back, but at the very least he hopes.
Speaker 11: We're not h Yeah, I think, don't get scaled. This is a very elaborate scam and very sophisticated. So I just want everyone to be away where that these are the things that the scammers are doing.
Speaker 1: If there were six other couples looking at that apartment, so this one day of pretending that you could rent out this place must have netted these people like one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 11: To keep an eye out for them.
Speaker 10: After all of that trouble, Alvin and his roommate decided to take the rent increase and stay where they are. He says, at least he knows his building and property manager are real.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Big rental scam going on and San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that. It's the John Phillips Show. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com and Randy. If you want to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny don't Like dot com.
Speaker 1: We've made it so easy. We're streaming live on Johnny Don't Like dot com takes you right to the YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get all of our content on your homepage. Tons of on demand content on there. You can hit the like button, play around in the chat room. Maybe there's a hype button. I don't know if we have that. But also when we sign off at three, there is tons of on demand content for YouTube peruse, including if you have not watched it yet, we highly recommend you check out our latest episode of the Accountability Podcast, our interview with Steve Hilton. It's forty minutes, it's on video, and it's a good time, so check it out at Johnny don't Like dot Com at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: That's right, And you know I've been making my rounds promoting the Accountability Podcast. Tonight at six, my interview with Donald Trump Junior drops, and the two o'clock hour we're gonna play my interview with Jesse Kelly on his program. I'm right on the first TV. All that coming up, along with political strategist Lunnie Ignorance, Don't you Go Anywhere