Speaker 1: The Giants and the Rockies. It's the start of a three game series. I'm John Miller with Today's Tony Vitello Show with the skipper of the Giants and a couple of players added to the roster today, one coming from the injured list and healthy ready to go, Jonah Cox, and another whom we have not seen here yet named Turner Hill. And Tony. Let's start with Turner Hill. What can you tell us about him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exciting. I mean, he's kind of got that left handed hitting profile that you've seen in the big leagues before of you know, a little bit smaller frame, so a real compact swing, maybe a little bit of Brett Gardner type stuff in there. But he's really good at handling the bat. The thing I've liked in he's recent at bats is, even though different pitches can get your body in a different position, he really does a good job of keeping his hands back, And if you can keep your hands back, it allows you to deliver them and impact the ball a little bit more often. And he's been impacting the ball like crazy. So probably the best part of the whole story is him getting rewarded for his efforts because I think he had like a twenty six game hit streak. I mean, he's done everything he can do to put himself in this position, so now he's going to get the opportunity he earned.
Speaker 1: He got up to Triple A and was hitting three fifty there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the fact that he didn't slow down against going up a level. I was just talking with Kisner before the game, and he talked about how different it is climbing each level. But some guys have adjustability, you know, on the fly, and I do think he's kind of got that in his swing. And then you talk about base running and the ability to play defense. He's a real shifty athlete, so I think that served him well too, as he's kind of made this climb all right.
Speaker 1: Now, Jonah Cox comes back, and Jonah had been kind of setting the world on fire and this was kind of a new thing this year that he seemed to blossom. But he was at double A when the Giants brought him up. Now, since the injury and out in a rehabit, whatever has been happening with him, he's had a chance at Triple A, and from what I understand, he's done pretty well. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the guys traded for him for a reason. They saw the speed and athleticism as did everybody else, but also an ability to hit, and he's shown all those things. I think the big challenge for him is this second go around, is can he truly be a big time impact center fielder. He was really good for us out there, but I think he's got a chance to be great on the defensive end and then offensively. When you do get to this level, the velocity creeps up, and so that's probably the biggest challenge for him is can he maintain that true ability to hit when the velocity goes up and the guy's arsenals are a little bit bigger at this level.
Speaker 1: So Jonah Cox in the lineup tonight and Turner Hill has joined the ball club, not in the starting lineup tonight. We'll talk about what Jonah Cox and the rest of the Giants are going to face tonight with the Rockies in town. Next now more twenty three hour with the Giants manager Tony Bicello and the Giants face the veteran left Tennis. Seems like he's every series against the Giants. He's going to be in there if he's healthy, and that's Kyle Freeland, the veteran and for a guy like Jonah Cox, this is a guy he doesn't overpower you, but he is pretty crafty.
Speaker 2: No, he is crafty, and he's kind of become more cutter iss or used his cutter more as he's gotten older. And one thing about that pitch is it comes into Jonah. And so if we're doing kind of an imagery thing, right handed pitchers often will be on their right handed side into a righty, and a lot of lefties stay away from righties, so it actually might serve as a really good matchup. If he's going to use that cutter coming into Jonah, that might be his bat path. That's kind of explaining those reverse split stats if it makes sense. But you know, either way, Freeland's not overpowering. He is crafty. So if you can kind of relax at the plate and take what he gives you, I think right or left handed guys can do damage against them.
Speaker 1: And landed rout for the Giants, and he was on a roll in his last jart and all of a sudden had that ending and that's been a sort of a regular occurrence lately. And he walked the bases loaded when you went out to take him out. What's been happening in those situations? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think in order to improve stuff, the first step is self awareness, and I think he's definitely in tune to that. And I think, looking back at it, when I kind of made it a little project, it's happened in the varying forms, and that is the nature of baseball in the beginning. The biginning usually separates the winner and the loser on the scoreboard, so it's a part of the game. But it's turned up a little bit too much on the radar screen for him, and I would say the majority of the time are the most often occurrence is just him getting a little too fired up when things go wrong and not kind of having the poise that he typically does when it's rolling. And it's one of those things where a lot of times our greatest strength can burn us sometimes and he's so fiery and so intense. Again, that is what makes him fun to watch pitch and what makes him a true big league starter. But you gotta be careful that fire doesn't burn your house down. So I think composure when we make a mistake behind him, or he gets a bad call, or a guy gets a flair hit is the key to limiting that.
Speaker 1: So here we go, roop on the mound for the Giants, Giants Rockies, and that's the Tony Vytello Show for today.