Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio at the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty. Armstrong and Getty. And now, here's Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: Finally, the last planes got ready to leave with the remaining troops. The war was over.
Speaker 4: And I had to go do a press conference and report that fact. So I was focused on the press conference. I'm the person who announced it. The last C-17 lifted off from Hamad Karzai International Airport on August 30th this afternoon at 3.29 p.m.
Speaker 2: East Coast time.
Speaker 5: So that was five years ago yesterday, our disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan. That was a, I think, practically criminal failure of our government.
Speaker 2: On every level, from military to political to moral to, you know, our duty to our fighting men and women. It was such a miserable failure. I think I'd let the years go by a little bit and had, you know, let the details get fuzzy. But the Wall Street Journal said, just put out a damn near one-hour documentary on the Afghanistan withdrawal that I watched yesterday and tweeted about and texted Jack. I found it difficult to go through as I was by turns so angry it was hard to watch, then so sickened it was hard to watch, then so sad it was hard to watch, and then back to angry again. It was a delightful 57 minutes spent, but it is a brilliant documentary.
Speaker 5: Has Wall Street Journal released this so you don't have to be a subscriber to watch it, or do you have to be a Wall Street Journal subscriber?
Speaker 2: I do not know the answer to that question.
Speaker 5: I wish everybody would see it. I wish it was airing on, I wish it aired on NBC last night or something like that. You know, one of those things where everybody in America tunes in like they did in the old days, and then we talk about it the next day.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons we don't do that is because we are where we are with our politics. And then you have to get into criticizing the Biden administration and it becomes a, you know, do you like Biden or Trump better or whatever? Which is part of why it was the way it was at the time. I mean, we were outraged five years ago when this was going on. There was enough known at the time that it was absolutely depressing and outrageous to the way we exited Afghanistan and screwed all those people in Afghanistan who had.
Speaker 2: Helped us, screwed our own soldiers.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's just, there's so many bad things going on in this story.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Watching that documentary from the Wall Street Journal, and if you have access to it, The Path to Zero.
Speaker 2: It's one of the most.
Speaker 5: Affecting documentaries I've ever seen in my life on so many different levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's start it this way. Well, I want to throw in as a note, part of the reason that this is able to be so good and powerful and honest is that a lot of the decision makers have now left the military. So they are no longer bound by the chain of command. They can't give up anything classified. You got to take that with you to the grave. But they can now say like Frank McKenzie, General Frank McKenzie was the CENTCOM commander.
Speaker 4: He.
Speaker 2: hated biden's announcement that we're going to pull everybody out and we're going to do it from the airport and we're not going to keep bogram air force base he hated the decision and he knew it was a disaster and he tried to communicate that but the white house wasn't having it and then he watched the horror unfold in front of him you know even worse than he'd anticipated and he's just he likes so many of the people especially the young marines are just still anguished By what they witnessed.
Speaker 5: Well, the pullout just in general, leaving behind that Air Force base that they made a good point of in the documentary, how strategically important that was to us and could still be today in its proximity to Russia and China and Iran and all the, you know, the important countries we got to keep our eye on. And the fact that we let that go is just amazing.
Speaker 2: When the entire evacuation could have been done in an orderly fashion at our timetable, but Biden was so intent on getting everybody out before the anniversary of September 11th. He said, no, no, no, just abandon the air base and go to the airport. Everybody knew it was a horrible idea.
Speaker 5: That's a horrifying decision, even if it had been a somewhat orderly withdrawal. But it ended up being, if you remember, one of the most hellish scenes that has existed on planet Earth with all of those people. attempting to get to the airfield so they could get on a plane and get out of there, crawling across razor wire, handing their babies across.
Speaker 2: We remember talking about this at the time. Those babies who are still alive. It's worth noting.
Speaker 5: Our military being put in the position of having to reject babies or whatever they were supposed to do. All of a sudden, you're trained to fight in wars and you're doing some sort of personnel mission at a.
Speaker 2: A razor wire fence doing crowd control. Getting conflicting instructions every hour.
Speaker 5: With the Taliban about 20 feet away laughing at you, readying to shoot the people that you don't let in.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just as awful as anything could be. Yeah, it was so affecting. One young Marine spoke of doing an eight hour shift in the middle of the night with an Afghan woman begging him the entire eight hours. Please, sir, let me in. the Taliban are pointing at me. They're going to kill me. I don't have a husband. Please let me in. And he couldn't for eight hours. He sat there listening to it. And we're going to get into a little bit of what that does to a human being. Um, Well, it's difficult to summarize other than saying it was a horrifying disaster and a preventable one on every single level.
Speaker 5: We should get to some clips of the documentary. Let me just throw this in now. I thought I wonder how the Sunday shows are going to handle the anniversary, the five year anniversary. NBC didn't talk about it at all. ABC This Week and Face the Nation did, but they did a segment on it. And it was just so tepid compared to this. It was just like a nothing, really. I was so disappointed. And again, as you pointed out, nobody's paid a price for this. Like nobody, nobody, certainly nobody went to jail or was hung the way it should have been.
Speaker 2: Or resigned.
Speaker 5: Or resigned or even paid a political price for it.
Speaker 2: Right, right. Partly because of the aid of the media, although they did report on this at the time. Give us 83 and 84 back to back, Michael.
Speaker 7: The way I like to discuss it is, from a tactical perspective, is we accomplished the mission that we were given. And those young men and women executed that mission and got 124,000 people off of the runway that otherwise would not have gotten off.
Speaker 6: But how many of those people were the ones that we were trying to get out? That's the question I think I wrestle with, is I do think that we've left a lot of people behind, including... my brother's interpreter. He never made it out, and he should be here in the States, and we left him. It's hard to think about these people that we left behind.
Speaker 5: So you had a rush toward the airfield, toward the gates to try to get in, of families, and What ended up happening is young, strong men were able to push their way to the front and have a shot at maybe getting into the gate while women, children and old people were left behind. That's pretty awful. And so that's why sometimes when you look at those big, giant planes full of people, it's like all 20 something dudes because they knocked over kids and women to get to the front of the line to get out.
Speaker 2: And the Marines who were tasked with figuring out who to get in, who to get out, all the paperwork was faked. Again, they were getting conflicting instructions and had no idea what to do as tens of thousands of people who were dying in the streets, literally dying in front of them, including little children in their own feces. They were begging to be let in. And these poor Marines were having to deal with this with terrible, terrible support from above, from the White House and the State Department on down. I want to get into this part. This is the narrator with a retired Marine who now, to his credit, heads up a nonprofit that deals with soldiers who suffer from moral injury, which they do a good job of explaining. Some of you may be familiar with the term. It's different from PTSD. It can be related, but it's when you have to either do something or watch something that is so repugnant to your own morals, you can never let it go. Breaks you. It does break you, including when the gates got crashed and there were tens of thousands of people in the airport. You may recall this. They couldn't fly anything in or out. The evacuation came to a standstill and the U.S. didn't have the people and policies to do what it took. So they called in these zero units. They're So. sponsored intelligence units of the Afghan army or Afghan military that literally ran people over in trucks and shot him till everybody was so panicked. They left the airport. That's how they cleared the tarmac and the Marines watched this happening and And then the higher-ups throughout the documentary say, we didn't get any official reports of that happening. And the narrator's like, all these Marines told me it happened. Well, I will not tell you they're lying. But it just kind of got lost, the way something too horrific doesn't make its way up the chain. Anyway, I'll shut up now. Start with 86, please, Michael.
Speaker 3: For the Marines who manned the gates, those days haunt them. They suffer from moral injury. which is very different than PTSD.
Speaker 6: Moral injury is when you bear witness to or you're the perpetrator of actions that go against your moral compass or a code of values. Throughout HKIA, these guys were just stuck in a moral dilemma the entire time. You know, playing God to people's lives choosing whether or not that they got rescued or that they'd take them to the exit and potentially be harmed by the Taliban. It was a lot to weigh on these guys.
Speaker 2: Next clip, Michael.
Speaker 8: And what can you do about moral injury?
Speaker 2: I mean, how can you deal with that?
Speaker 6: The biggest key to it, though, is that our leadership, they need to answer to these things. They need to be held accountable for it. And if not, moral injury just persists and it can metastasize into mental illnesses or disorders. And it's just something that we deserve. We deserve to have our leaders address or talk to us, just simply talk to us about what happened. And maybe if it's within them, to seek forgiveness through us. And I think that we would be more than receptive as a community to go down that path with them.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that much about that. I thought that was really interesting moral injury. I think we've all we all know we've all felt that at some level on various things. Anytime there's just like that's completely unjust and nothing is being done about it. There's a there's there's a specific feeling that that is. And apparently when you have it at the level that they dealt with it, it can really break you. And one of the keys to lessening the pain of it is, and again, I think we've all felt this a little bit, is there being some correction to it, some price. Somebody paid a price for the fact that that bad thing happened or something is being put in place so that bad thing can't happen again. And one of the reasons these guys are struggling so much is nobody paid a price for that. And there's no indication that that couldn't happen again.
Speaker 2: In short, justice. Balancing the scales. They need justice. Next clip, Michael.
Speaker 8: It doesn't seem like that's actually happening, though, does it?
Speaker 2: It does not. No, it does not.
Speaker 6: And it seems like they turned their back to us. You know, they've lived their life. They're living on while we're still here, living with what we had to do on their behalf, on their mistakes.
Speaker 2: And I know we're running late, but can we squeeze in General McKenzie? Let me be clear.
Speaker 4: All of this happened because we did not make a decision in April to bring out our embassy, our citizens, and our at-risk Afghans. Let's be very clear where blame lies for this. It doesn't lie with the joint force. It doesn't lie with the military people who are executing this operation. It lies with the political leadership that chose to turn a blind eye to the situation in Afghanistan and allow this to boil to a point in August when it became out of control and was beyond control of any reasonable military capability to impose order on it. So we should just be clear on this.
Speaker 5: The Sunday talk shows did not touch on the political aspect of this at all, as you heard there from the general. But that is the whole ball of wax. More to say about this coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just one final note that this preceding segment goes out to Nicole G's family, one of the Marines lost there at the gate, a virtual neighbor of ours at the radio ranch. And everybody lost folks there and is dealing with the pain. So on a much cheerier note, the NFL is coming back, and so is DraftKings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, DraftKings now live in all 50 states. One app, every sport nationwide. New DraftKings customers sign up with the code Armstrong. Spend $ 5 to get $ 200 in rewards within 21 days. Includes all markets. That's the code Armstrong in partnership with DraftKings. The crown is yours.
Speaker 8: Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER. 1-800-MY-RESET. Connecticut, call 888-789-7777. Visit ccpg.org. On behalf of Boot Hill Casino in Kansas, that tax pass-through may apply in Illinois. 21 plus. Void in Canada. Bet with DraftKings Sportsbook to get bonus bets that expire in seven days or trade with DraftKings Predictions to get predictions dollars that expire in one year. Event contract trading involves risk of loss. Predictions offer void in New York. Non-withdrawable rewards issued as $ 50 click to claims every seven days for 21 days. Terms at DKNG.co slash offer. Limited time offer. Nationwide based on Sportsbook predictions and free to play sports contest availability varies by state.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty. The Armstrong and Getty Show. What was that like when that order came through? Um, I, I think, is it alright if I cuss a little bit? Yes, sure. Okay. Yeah, of course. Okay. They've been f * * * ing me for the past two weeks. Why are they not going to continue to do that?
Speaker 6: And in the most ridiculous and kind of demeaning way that they can.
Speaker 5: That's from the Wall Street Journal documentary that's getting no attention in the path to zero. I'm disappointed that it isn't like everywhere and everybody's talking about it on the five year anniversary of the withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This is the last chance for any justice of a conversation or anybody to pay a price, and it seems to me that it's going to go by. It said at the end of the documentary that Anthony Blinken, Jake Sullivan, General Mark Milley, and General Lloyd Austin did not respond to requests for interviews for that documentary. Nobody's going to make them. They will not be forced by mainstream media, and that's that. Nor probably subpoenaed by Congress. If Accountability for our greatest failures becomes either left coded or right coded.
Speaker 2: We're through as a country. No doubt. No doubt.
Speaker 5: We need to talk more about this later because we didn't even get into Abbey Gate. That's the one horrible day, which the anniversary was last Thursday, I guess, when we lost 13 men and women and 150 Afghanis got killed and tons of people got injured and just such a failure.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: On every level. And again, nobody paid a price for that. Unbelievable. One of the most disappointing things that has happened in my lifetime that our U.S.
Speaker 2: Government did. Yeah. Yeah. Agreed.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Horrific at every level.
Speaker 5: And a horrible job by the media other than the Wall Street Journal of covering this over the weekend on the five year anniversary.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm drained talking about it. It's it's one of those things. You're not going to enjoy it, but I think it's important to see it.
Speaker 5: I was thinking I was going to have my kids watch it, then got toward the end of some of the stuff was, that's too much. I don't want my kids watching that. That was hard to take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so grim. So grim.
Speaker 5: We'll talk more about that later. We got plenty of other stuff that's, you know, way easier to take coming up. Cell phone ban in schools all across the country. Lots of people are doing it. Wall Street Journal says it's not working for some reason.
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: I just was praising the Wall Street Journal. This one made me angry. And lots of other stuff to talk about. If you miss a segment, get the podcast, Armstrong and Getty On Demand.
Speaker 2: I have assembled what I believe to be the quintessential New York story, the quintessential L.A. story. Likewise, Portland and Seattle. A potpourri, a buffet, if you will. Coming up. Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 9: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: That music really gets me going, man. I'm telling you what. You play that at all your raves, right? When you DJ?
Speaker 5: You need to explain to us about how golf's hottest company is kind of getting pushed out of the golf business now because they got on the wrong side of a media firestorm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I thought it was an interesting story. So maybe later. Yeah, I do, too. It's just it's the modern world, which tires my ass out in brief. It is the modern world. Welcome to a brand new feature, stupidity coast to coast. Actually, it leans a tad heavily on the left coast. Oh, that's shocking. Well, I feel bad giving short shrift to the East Coast, which has plenty of stupidity. Yeah, nothing like.
Speaker 5: Nothing like your California towns and Portland and Seattle.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on. Yeah, you know, stupidity is a lot like wine when you look at the two coasts. The East Coast produces some pretty solid stupidity. It's enjoyable, but it's not quite as exquisite. It's not the highest grade of stupidity like you get on the West Coast. Too many tannins. So I have what I believe to be the quintessential L.A. story, New York story, Portland and Seattle in that order. First of all, briefly, in L.A., I know it could be a thousand different things. We're just going to pick on this one. As the fabulous Nellie Bowles pointed out, Karen Bass, the leftist union hack, career politician who's ruined L.A., is running for re-election against a communist, Nithya Raman. But anyway, as a campaign video, Karen Bass posted this video about how she was going to fix a pothole. Except she got there and there was a car parked on it, so she said, I'll be back later and try again. And that was the campaign video. Nothing happened. She just talked about fixing it. Well, dumb, dumb bass, bass hole.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wait, what? I think maybe dumb bass would be a better one. Okay. Well, certainly more arable. Anyway, um, So her communist opponent, city council member Nithya Raman, released her own video as a display of strength. The Los Feliz neighborhood council alerted our office in 2025 to the need for a crosswalk at Sunset Drive and Bates Street, which has just been completed. Thanks to our incredible CD4 field team for continuing to problem solve, push for solutions and make our streets safer. And then there are images side by side. And the one is this cracked image. decaying, pitted pavement without a crosswalk painted on it. And then the after picture is the cracked, decaying, pitted pavement painted over with yellow stripes. It's like, wow. Wow. That is running a city beautifully. Holy cow. How can you not look at that and laugh? That's such a dumb stunt anyway, even if it wasn't. What it is.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have one crosswalk. What do you do? Now I'm going to quote the fabulous Nelly. One year later, they painted yellow stripes over the cracked asphalt. This is what the politicians in California are celebrating. No wonder our great progressive leadership from L.A. to New York City universally hate business leaders. The efficiency of private industry must seem like dark magic to them. You mean to tell me that in a single year, entire movie sets are built and the movies are shot and edited? That whole companies are founded and sold? It's a lie. He's a witch.
Speaker 4: Right, right.
Speaker 2: But keep expanding the government, everybody. That'll work out great. Let's move all the way across the country to New York City. Jack, this is the perfect New York story. So right at the base of the Queensborough Bridge is this beautiful plaza with benches and plants and views of the river and stuff like that. It's quite pleasant. Well, there's a restaurant that does events that's like right there in And they have taken over the plaza and closed it over and over again for private events, up to $ 300, 000 a pop to rent the space. But it's public space. And they just block it off and put guards up and tell people in the neighborhood, you can't go there and sit there and look at the river or read a book or enjoy the flowers or anything. It's a private event. But they've never had any authorization. But the local cops are on the take. So if anybody tries to disrupt the public event or the private event, say, hey, this is a public garden. The cops arrest them. And finally, this activist went at it so many times and recruited more people to do it. Finally, the authorities had to admit, yeah, yeah, they have no authorization to clear this out. And then the cops were just taking bribes, apparently. Wow. In modern America, I wouldn't think that could happen.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: No kidding. No kidding. I mean, 1960s New York? Completely. But, yeah, surprising. The restaurant in question, Gustavino's, in court said, we acknowledge this is a public plaza, and we're working with the city to come up with a path forward. Okay, New York, forget about it. I didn't see nothing. All right, let's move across the country, back to the West Coast in beautiful Portland, where Clip 94 is the official welcome back to school message from the Portland Unified School District.
Speaker 10: I'm here to wish you all a successful 2026-2027 school year, and to thank all the amazing principals, teachers, and staff for your dedication to your students and their learning. While we can often get caught up in the hustle and bustle, it's so important to remember that together we rise with excellence and purpose.
Speaker 2: That's drag queen Poison Waters in his full mocking women drag queen regalia.
Speaker 5: I know I say this every time, but I don't get how drag queens got going.
Speaker 2: I just don't, I don't understand. Portland schools where you walk your little kid by the hand through the needles and the junkies and the crime and the lunatics in the streets and the rest of it. And the tests are plunging and the kids aren't learning and the achievement is nonexistent. And the school boards and principals want to eliminate any sort of tests so nobody knows how badly they're failing. The kids are greeted back to school by a drag queen because, of course. Portlandia's crumbling. Bang right. That's a good point, Metal Guy. Thank you. And then finally, let's end in beautiful, and I mean that, mostly formerly beautiful Seattle, one of the great cities on Earth. There is a gal we're about to meet who left her corporate career behind and single-handedly started a movement of picking up trash, calling her group We Heart Seattle. Lacking in originality, perhaps, but a good name. See, Seattle allows addicts to take over parks and walkways and under bridges and roadways and everything and drop needles everywhere. Not to mention, you know, you know, poop and just garbage and whatever. So this wacky lady, Andrea Suarez, goes around and picks up the needles with other volunteers to highlight how decayed the parks are. Well, the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries has launched an investigation into the needles, into the crap, into the taking over the parks by the junkies. No, they're investigating her for cleaning them up. Start with 90, Michael.
Speaker 1: This is a children's playground. You have men predominantly out here in a state of psychosis, high on methamphetamines, using the paraphernalia.
Speaker 9: An unexpected interruption to our interview with WeHeartSeattle founder Andrea Suarez. She says it's a snapshot of exactly why she's here. For six years, her nonprofit has been cleaning up what others leave behind.
Speaker 5: So that was a drug-crazed lunatic that all of a sudden interrupted her?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, and you don't have to go looking for them.
Speaker 10: No, I know.
Speaker 2: You've been in Seattle fairly recently, as have I, in Portland as well. No, they'll come to you. Next clip.
Speaker 1: This is what people cook fentanyl on.
Speaker 9: Suarez says some of that paraphernalia comes from Seattle and King County's harm reduction programs. which lets people who inject drugs exchange used needles for clean ones.
Speaker 1: This is the bag that the public health department gives out that includes the foil and the glass pipes.
Speaker 9: King County defends its approach, saying its programs directly prevents fatalities, reduces infectious disease transmission, and creates low barrier entry points that connect people to treatment. And that their efforts have cut overdose deaths by 30 percent from more than 1,300 in 2023 to just over 900 last year.
Speaker 5: You're creating low barrier entry points to doing more.
Speaker 2: Meth or crack or whatever drug that is.
Speaker 5: I saw somebody doing that in Vancouver where drug addicts are all over the place in Vancouver.
Speaker 2: Depending on what part of town you're walking through. And we were in there.
Speaker 5: Hipster secondhand clothing vintage store area. And drug addicts were everywhere, and there was somebody there doing that whole tinfoil lightening thing up. And I thought, it's just insane that we're all walking by this person out in the open doing this.
Speaker 2: Last clip.
Speaker 9: But now the volunteers cleaning up the mess are under investigation.
Speaker 1: We're doing perhaps unsanctioned work, just like there's unsanctioned drug activity happening all day in our shared park.
Speaker 9: The Washington Department of Labor and Industries is looking into whether WeHeart Seattle workers properly disposed of used hypodermic needles and fentanyl paraphernalia after receiving an outside complaint alleging harmful mishandling.
Speaker 1: It feels like the government doesn't actually want organizations that are helping on. I mean, we are... an emergency response to this crisis that you're seeing before your eyes.
Speaker 2: So the state snaps into action. The laws must be followed, not by the homeless guy shooting up between his toes on the swing set. No, not him. By Andrea, by the volunteers, or we will bust their asses.
Speaker 5: So getting a ticket for having your dog off leash in a lot of towns where there's, hey, over there in the park, they get pit bulls running around.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not accountable, so we don't enforce the law with them. Yeah. How angering is that? And how reminiscent of the Stop Nick Shirley law that just passed. and was signed by Gavin Newsom in California, where you're not allowed to investigate fraud among agencies that deal with illegal immigrants because you'll be considered to be harassing the people who work there, asking them, wait a minute. You're getting millions of dollars. I don't see any clients. I don't see any facilities here. You will be the one arrested, like Andrea there in Seattle. Sorry, East Coast. West Coast wins again. It's stupidity coast to coast. Well, well, fantastic. God dang it. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make everybody angry. This is why I'm not invited to the better dinner parties.
Speaker 5: So you're making decent money, but you're not like a suit and tie sort of guy. And, you know, where do you go for financial planning? People that understand your lifestyle and that sort of thing. Well, we want to tell you all about Blue Collar Dollar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking to small business owners, farmers, all the hardworking people who build this country who often get ignored or looked down on by Wall Street. Blue Collar Dollar changes that game. They provide high-level retirement strategies for the men and women who actually do the heavy lifting.
Speaker 5: So no jargon, no corporate fluff, just straight talk and real respect for your hard-earned money. If you're 55 years of age or over and you put aside at least $ 250, 000 for.
Speaker 2: Retirement, Blue Collar Dollar has a special offer for you. Pick up your phone right now, dial pound 250 and say Blue Collar Dollar for your complimentary financial review from a licensed talent advisor. There is no obligation whatsoever. Dial pound 250. Use the keywords Blue Collar Dollar. Paid endorsement.
Speaker 5: Armstrong and Getty are not talent clients and receive compensation for promoting talent, creating a conflict of interest. Investment advisory services offered through Talent LLC and SEC registered investment advisor. For more additional disclosures, visit Blue Collar Dollar dot com. Paid for by Epic Financial. It's very exciting to have a brand new disclaimer to read.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. Yeah. Super. Super. Hope all the lawyers are happy out there. Protected everybody from harm. Don't step on any needles.
Speaker 5: Hey, I know a quick thing I can do when we come back since the NFL season is about to start up. I did a little going on the chat bots. What are all the major publications saying? Who are the best NFL teams out there? Who's most likely to win the Super Bowl? Pretty interesting, I thought. Can spend like just a few seconds on that before we move on to other things. There's plenty to talk about today.
Speaker 2: Stay here. Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 5: Trump is so mad at Canada, he renamed Lake Ontario Lake America.
Speaker 2: Now I've got to buy a new globe again. It's like the fifth time it's happened.
Speaker 5: Liberals are very pissed at this. They say you can't just go around renaming things to suit your political agenda.
Speaker 10: Just ask any Latinx birthing person.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 5: That was pretty good. And the crowd, either because they agree or they just like Bill Maher and they waited in line to see him. I don't know which, but a liberal audience laughing at that. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yep. Good call. Oh, God, we live in a weird time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Fight it. Fight it.
Speaker 5: The NFL season is starting real soon. I wanted to know who are the best teams. You know, you mentioned the other day that you can't remember who won last year's.
Speaker 2: World Series or Super Bowl or whatever.
Speaker 5: And I often can, but like I read the defending Super Bowl champion, Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl. I watched it. I remember thinking it was pretty good. Yeah, I guess it is.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I know if you're a real hardcore football fan, it seems ridiculous that we don't remember that. Anyway, your overall consensus Super Bowl favorites across almost all of your power rankings from all of your big publications and websites and stuff like that, your L.A.
Speaker 2: Rams. So there you go.
Speaker 5: With the Seahawks right behind it. So interesting thing about that. They're in the same division with the 49ers being a good team, too. So that's a heck of a division, your NFC West.
Speaker 2: I was reading an article about how their GM has built that great, great team, the Rams. It reminds me of Michael Jordan's Bulls. You have your irreplaceable parts, and then you have your role players around them who are very good at a specific set of stuff, but they're more or less interchangeable, so you're not going to pay them zillions of dollars.
Speaker 5: Can America live with the Dodgers winning their third straight World Series and then the Rams winning the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: It'll all explode.
Speaker 5: Um, speaking of football, my son got drafted into being the water boy for the high school football game on Friday night, was on the sidelines running around, giving everybody water and really, really had a good time hanging out with the team and everything like that was fantastic. I was so, so excited that he was part of something with his, uh, first time ever being in.
Speaker 2: A regular school. I think they call them team managers. You don't get to call them water boys. No water boys demeaning. It is.
Speaker 10: Why?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like calling somebody Latino. It's Latinx. No, it's not Waterboy. They're a team manager. Yes, Katie. Have you not seen the movie? I actually haven't. I actually have not seen the Waterboy. Oh, for the love of God. I know. It's crazy. It's idioticalicious. Yeah. That's where I was like, oh, you can't call him Waterboy.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll remember that. I'm glad you told me. I think they called him that. I think the coach did. No, it's not OK anymore. It's like the N word. Oh, it's it's not exactly like the N word, but it's it's it's a bit of an insult. The W word. Yes. Yeah. It's a slur. Those who distribute hydration around the nation.
Speaker 5: The whole high school football thing is trying to explain this to my kids on how it's such a big deal coast to coast. And it's just the Friday Night Lights thing that they mention in all your modern country songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's such a cultural thing that no other high school sport obviously has. And like my older son and all his friends from a different school or, you know, they go around to the different games. It's just, it's just a, a thing. It's a, it's definitely a thing. It's a social thing.
Speaker 2: And parents too. It's tribal thing. It's a proxy for warfare. It's obvious. It's fast. It's violent. The stronger, more skilled team wins. Baseball's just not close enough to warfare, right? Soccer is great. It's not close enough to warfare football. That's the one.
Speaker 5: The thing with youth sports, I've said this since I started watching youth sports is you always have a couple of kids that are so much faster than all the other kids and whatever youth sport you're watching. And it's just like, how are you even on? Oh, I was thinking about this the other day. So where I go to lift weights, they they do tennis lessons there for well-to-do children who need private tennis lessons. And I watch it out the window in between sets and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And you can look at these.
Speaker 5: Little kids and like that little kid is just so much more naturally talented than all the other little kids, even having no idea what he's doing. I mean, you can just see it, just his footwork and just his arm motion, just everything about it. It's amazing the gifts you start out with. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Didn't Malcolm Gladwell write some sort of Dopey book that got a bunch of attention a while back saying there is no talent. You just have to spend enough time.
Speaker 5: I think that was a blurb to sell the 10,000 hours thing. But yeah, to that point, you can watch and think, that kid's got so much more talent than everybody else out there on the court that is age seven trying to play tennis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check back with me in 10 years. Right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: OK, so a lot of good stuff to come.
Speaker 5: Speaking of young people, the ban on cell phones across the country in schools. Wall Street Journal says it's not working out as good as we thought, which I thought was just a stupid article.
Speaker 2: And I want to complain about it.
Speaker 5: Among other things on the way, if you miss the segment, get the podcast.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty.