Speaker 1: Welcome back sports phone here on a Friday night, John Dickinson sitting in and let's go out to the UMA guest line. I don't I don't know if this guy's ever been a guest on the UMA guest line, but host by day, guest by night. Adam Copeland, the fine host of course of dirty work with Derek Poppa and forty nine or pre and post game here on the Sports Leader as well with Todd Husack for the home games, with yours truly for the away games. And we were together last night together now right here on these Sports Leader copes. Thanks for taking some time out, brother, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: What's up, dude?
Speaker 3: I have been a guest before on the YUMA guest line, but I'm really more of a Cash Creek text line or a Golden State Lumber and showroom text line guy, as you well know, Jed.
Speaker 1: Yes as I yes, a big Golden State Lumber and showroom text line guy. I am as well. Let's just dive into it. We had the pre and post game from the Chargers game. A lot of talk today about the younger players, in particular the young skill players in Dejon Stribbling and Kaylon Black so I think you have to start there. We both were looking to see Dejon Stribbling have the Charger game be an extension of the game against the Titans, and he really he delivered again.
Speaker 3: Well one of the forty nine ers best skill sets last year, one of the things they did better, or the thing they did better than anybody was convert on third down, and they lost one of their top receivers who was great at that in the last couple of years, in Juwan Jennings. So taking to Jon Stribbling number thirty three overall, I mean, I think the hope was not just had more speed and athleticism, but also to try to replace a weapon that was going to help them pick up third downs. You also got to remember they're not gonna have George Kittle. Seemingly for the beginning of the season. I know there was that chefter report that said he's got a shot to play week one. I think you and I are on the same page that it's more likely probably in the after the first month or sometime around that time, even if he's ahead of schedule. But having a player you can rely on on third down, it was really nice to see Scribbling out there with brock perty Now we're going to go to one demerit that we can hand out to scribbling, and you have to find one from game one and he corrected a game two, week one of the preseason against Tennessee. His only drop on eight targets he had seven catches was on the opening drive on third down. His only drop in game two on the five targets was what would have been a thirty three yard touchdown grab. So that stuff you want to see, you change a little bit or hone in on. But the guy's a rookie and he looked really good out there against the ones of Tennessee week one, So a great addition. I don't need to see more of him, I don't think in week three of the preseason, especially because I think it's a I think the receiving room is not I mean, we know it's not as deep now as it was on paper to start the year. It's also different looking than it did at the start a training camp without Rooky Piersoll if you got the addition of Deebo Samuel. Still haven't see Mike Evans, no Christian Kirk, And there's probably some debater question as to whether or not he'll even start the year on the fifty three man since he got hurt. I want to say it was day one or day two of practice at the start of training camp. So scribbling is as positive of a result or an outcome I think as a fan could have from a player they're hoping to see early in the season and to be a contributor. And it's nice to see a rookie receiver find his way into a game and find success even in the preseason under Kyle Shanaehm. We'll see what it looks like when the season opens, but I think everybody's expecting to see a lot of him and be involved in the offense early on.
Speaker 1: They need him, I mean, that's the bottom line. The reason to say you've seen enough is point blank. They need him, and you'd hate to see anything happen to him in a preseason game three after he's played so well. That would put Week one or anything potentially beyond Week one in jeopardy. Talk about Adam Copeland here on The Sports Leader, Kaylon Black, he was sort of the question mark. He felt a lot like last week's deajon stribbling, Right, He's the guy that you wanted to see. You wanted to see how he could potentially compliment Christian McCaffrey should he get opportunities, and he from the very first carry, I think showed an element that we really haven't seen from a lot of the other forty nine er running backs since Christian McCaffrey's been on this squad.
Speaker 2: He's a different case.
Speaker 3: Like you just pointed out, Dajon Scribbling is a guy that they need, like they're going to rely on him to be a contributor this year. I tell you what last night's game from Kaylon Black, I think was big for him, absolutely, but I think it was big for kind of like calming some of those waters. Like Week one of the preseason, we didn't know what his status was going to be. He was dealing with a bit of an injury. Jordan James has not been able to get on the field. He's been hurt as well. Isaac Garndo is still working his way back and it's seemingly played himself out of favor after the last couple of seasons. So this was a situation where it wasn't just about hey, you need somebody for Christian McCaffrey. It's what does the depth of this running back room look like if you don't have Kaylon Black or Jordan James healthy at the start of the season, so I thin had to bring Khalil Herbert back as a mere Whites and see McCormick is here. They've got a slew of guys who are back there right now in some vets who I think they'd probably like to hold on to one of those guys on the practice squad or as the third running back if Jordan James is not available at the start of the season.
Speaker 2: I think we're.
Speaker 3: Trending that way. But it was big, I think to know that you've got another reliable piece, not reliable, but a guy you think after one game you can get some confidence out of you expect to be a part of this offense.
Speaker 2: And I think his role expands the year goes on.
Speaker 3: I pointed out to you before the game last night that the most success the Niners have had with using two running backs in my mind, while Christian McCaffrey's been here, is the twenty twenty three season where Elijah Mitchell kind of became the grinder at the end of games. You didn't need McCaffrey to run out of the clock when you're up two or three scores in the fourth quarter, you saw a lot of split carries.
Speaker 2: At that point.
Speaker 3: You were able to spread him out wide and still go with a running back in the backfield. I think that's what Kaylon Black maybe offers you down the road. But we saw some really strong runs. Better runs last night is opening run. We were watching it together five yards. Then later on in that first drift picks up a first down on a third and one on an easy two yard carry. He's a guy who's gonna bring a different style of running. And because they've got Deebo Samuel, I'm really intrigued to see how they use this backfield because you know Kyle Hustcheck will get carries at some point, not tons of them, but he's a part of that backfield offense. You've got Deebo Samuel, who they're going to run tons of end of rounds with. I think you're going to see more of the wide back. I don't know why we would expect to see Deebo used in a different way, but if you add a different type of runner in the way that Kaylon Black is, I think there's reason to be excited.
Speaker 2: Not about spelling McAffrey. That's what everybody talks about.
Speaker 3: It takes you know, you'd never say, hey, Barry Bonds or Steph Curry, you need to take fewer threes and take fewer swings, you know what I mean. We gotta get those guys less work. What you're looking for is somebody that gives breaks to McCaffrey or gives the Niners offense an opportunity to let McCaffrey operate at the highest level. Because his yards per carry were not great last year. He ran into the backs of a lot of offensive linemen and they didn't get much push. One of the worst, if not the worst in the league in yards per carry last season. So it's not just about change of pace. It's about what does this allow in terms of diversity of the offense to do. And I think Kaylon Black offers you that opportunity, and he's really I mean, you'd love to have a guy with this skill set as a true number two. I mean, Patrick Taylor never moved me. I was even nervous a couple of years ago when Isaac Garndo was the number two guy. It's like, it's unreliable, unproven stuff. Same with Kaylon Black, but I think the style of runner and the role they're going to offer him different than Elijah Mitchell in style. I think I think it's gonna give them some more diversity and versatility offensively well.
Speaker 1: And it also, I think is somebody in Kaylon Black that, like, let's say you are in the unfortunate position where maybe you don't have Christian McCaffrey. I feel like Kaylon Black gives Kyle Shanahan a running back that is nothing really like Christian McCaffrey, but is very much the style of runner that Kyle could build a different playbook around in an interim and and be able to win with essentially, And I think we've seen that before. He's he's shifty but also powerful and so yeah, it wouldn't be the Christian McCaffrey offense necessarily, but I think the three really complemented each other, between Christian McCaffrey and deebo and and Kaylon Black. And let's let's not uh, let's not forget Sincere McCormack, who was gonna ask you about that maybe he might be playing his way onto this team toward the back end of the roster.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what I was gonna ask you, is, is Kaylen Black I think is. I mean, he used the draft pick on him, they expected him to be in this running back room. But I think Jordan James may have been the odds on favorite to be the number three guy or that third option for Michael Hasty type, you know, I mean, somebody else back there the Niners could have. But if he's not ready, you'd love to go with a veteran as your third guy. And that's kind of the role Patrick Taylor had played. Now, if you're in that role, you probably got to play on some special teams too. That's sort of the third running back situation. That's something that Patrick Taylor did and I think that's probably why he was here, and he had a relationship with Bran Boyer. But he's on the IR now. But I don't even know if it's a Black versus Sincere McCormick. I think if you don't have Jordan James, McCormick right now is the odds on favor to be that third back, and probably even a guy you could split carries between with Black as the number two. Kind of a hybrid two three, is the way I see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's somebody that I think you're going to have to figure out a way to keep around, whether it's on the roster and or the practice squad. But I think running backs do frequently get picked up off of teams practice squads, you know, around the league. It seems like that's one position where guys get plucked more frequently due to injuries and teams potentially running you know, similar systems and all of that. So I will see what happens with Jordan James in terms of the injury, because they do know. The Niners like him, But it could be an opportunity for somebody like Sincere McCormick to find his way onto maybe the fifty three, depending upon how it plays out.
Speaker 2: A couple more.
Speaker 1: Minutes here with Adam Copeland joining me here, John Dickinson sports phone on a Friday night, Cowing and Watkins, Watkins and Cowing. Cowing has the eighty three yard punt return for a touchdown. Watkins has a nice game and a great block on one of the big Sincere McCormick runs. If it comes down to one versus the other, who do you think gives the forty nine ers the best chance to help on game day.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because you're right, as big as the touchdown reception and a couple of those big catches, I think there was a twenty four yard grab out there from Watkins yesterday. As big as that was, the block is probably the one that Kyle Shanahan looks at and says, Hey, that's how you perform and get playing time in this offense.
Speaker 1: I start of put it this way, does the block in essence throw out the eighty three yard touchdown? But if you're looking at it from the Kyle Shanahan lens, does the Watkins block on the big mccorbick run, is that a greater net positive for Watkins than the negative of the field position lost the ball in the lights for Cali Like it feels like those could be the two things that ultimately maybe sway it one way or the other in Kyle's mind.
Speaker 3: Sure, And if Jacob Cowing does fair catch that ball and it doesn't bounce and lose it in the lights and costin niners thirty yards and field position, are we even.
Speaker 2: Really having this discussion?
Speaker 3: I think that's a fair conversation because the blocking is something that Kyle's looking at. No block, no rock for the receivers, and it's why it's been so tough, seemingly under Kyle Shanahan for receivers to get playing time or get on the field.
Speaker 2: It's why guys like Juwan Jennings show up.
Speaker 3: He's one of the best blockers in the league, and he was out there really from his first year and got opportunities in the passing game later on. But this whole offense is predicated on running the football. So really the question you're asking JDS, would you rather keep like a slightly potentially a slightly better receiver, because I think Watkins is the better receiver or the guy who can legitimately change a game on special teams. There's one that's going to be a more long standing, consistent one. There's another us An element here, and that's if you had to pick one, which is the guy that's more likely to pass through waivers and that you can put on the practice squad.
Speaker 2: And my thought is probably probably Cowing is my thought. I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think Cowing is the guy that would be more apt to be able to be put through and you could, you could bring him back. Watkins, I just think would help you more if he had to play the wide receiver spot. I just and I feel like even if you pencil him in as say you're number five wide receiver right now, or if it winds up being your your six, depending upon how you do the numbers, I think if he's your five, he's a five that if he had to because of injury, bump up and be a three, he would have the ability to be more productive more consistently than than Cowing. And so I would still probably lean Watkins over Cowing. But they got to figure out the punt return thing. I mean, they put Debo back by yeah in the game against the Chargers last night, like they are searching for somebody that can return punts. Well, just catch punts. If I if I about the age of three, just there, catch it now.
Speaker 3: Here if I had to, if I like, there's a lot of avenues, they could go here, right Because that's the thought is I would assume if it's not Jacob Cowing and he doesn't make the team, And again right now, he probably and this probably even depends on Christian Kirk and really what happens in this third game, He's got to prove he makes a mistake, Like in the third game, or a Muffswolle. That's probably it, you know what I mean. You've got to prove that the eighty three yarder wasn't an anomaly. But the offense is on the field a lot, and Kyle knows he's gonna need a lot of receivers when it comes to calling in the grand scheme of it. I agree with you having that element of a guy who can break the game open. And we talked about it on the post game. The Niners haven't had a putt return for a touchdown in a real game since twenty eleven, the first game that Jim Harbaugh ever coached in San Francisco. So how big of a deal is one special teams play in player evaluation is kind of the question I would ask, and I would say it probably doesn't carry as much weight as the snaps that Jacob that Jordan Watkins was playing in terms of the catches he made, the blocks that he laid, the routes that he ran. I think he offers you more offensively, and if you don't go with calling Deebo, Samuel offers you a fine like just a fine option. I think as a part returner, I don't think he's elite. I don't think that's an excellent choice, and it's probably not ideal, but I think it offers you that if you want to take that out and not put Cowing on the roster because you need to crunch somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem with that quick one here.
Speaker 1: I know you got to scoot get out to your Friday night as we both do here, and head into the weekend. But on the defensive side, the defense played well in the game, but I don't know that there were a lot of individual standouts that I feel like made a name in terms of the active roster in the regular season.
Speaker 2: What did you make of the defense?
Speaker 1: Because they did play well, But did we learn anything that makes you feel better about some of the concerns that you might have had pass rusher otherwise?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of talk.
Speaker 3: This week about the secondary and how the secondary performed in the joint practice against the Chargers. I didn't think we saw anything that made me feel any different or think I don't have higher hopes for the defense. I guess I should say after that game against the Chargers, you know, again, one sack in the game, fine, but where's the pass rush and this was an issue that they had in the joint practices. Osia Digi Zuo Osai Digi zoo is moving. The pocket was potentially going to close on some sacks and couldn't get to Justin Herbert. This was of course reported out of the joint practice because there's nobody on the outside to clean it up. Now, if bos is there, maybe that's a little bit different, but you still don't have anybody on the opposite side.
Speaker 2: And that's what we've talked about for years.
Speaker 3: The one thing I'm looking at specifically and heading into two week three of the preseason, Ronaldo Green will see what his situation is. But Jack Jones seeming we played pretty well, a guy who'd been with the Patriots and the Raiders.
Speaker 2: He's looking to find some footing. And if he's like the veteran.
Speaker 3: Backup or he's your third guy or can spell Ronaldo Green, if he's not able to go, that's a guy that I'm watching for to try to make make some noise or really be noticeable. He had a couple of nice plays, had a deflection and batter pass away in the end zone yesterday against the Chargers. It was a Trey Lance pass on a fade into the corner and he batted it away. So at Quarner, I guess that's a position that I feel. You know, I don't want Green to go down, but I feel a little bit better with how Jack Jones played, and I've got some high hopes for him. But other than that, it's a you gotta show me, man. I mean again, twenty games or twenty sacks last year in seventeen games, an all time franchise loan for a team that's been around since the forties and JD they used to play fourteen games a year and they had more sacks than that, So you know, they've got a lot to prove. And I don't think we're gonna know or see any of that until we'd won, and beyond.
Speaker 1: No, I would agree with that in a major way. Copse, I appreciate you, man, thanks for taking some time out. We'll be together before and after the preseason game number three forty nine Ers and the Raiders from Vegas. And of course you can catch dirty work every day from two until six right here on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, brother, haveing your week done. JD taught you sim bro all.
Speaker 1: Right, sounds good. That's Adam Copeland. Appreciate him for joining me. More sports phone coming up right here on the Sports Leader