Speaker 1: As you were listening to V Sports Leader in middays, here is Larry Krueger.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to These Sports Leader. Larry Krueger with you on this beautiful Friday. I hope everybody's having a great one. Joining us on the Yuma guest line this segment is Mark Adams from forty nine or web Zone, and I'm super excited to have Mark on in this segment. He is, in my opinion, one of the reasons that Roger Craig is in the Hall of Fame class of twenty twenty six, and he's with.
Speaker 3: Us on These Sports Leader. Mark.
Speaker 4: How are you, hey, Larry, how's it going?
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's going so good. And I'm just you know, I'm so happy, so happy today.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm part of it is that I hit my three team parlay last night in baseball, but that has nothing.
Speaker 3: To do with it.
Speaker 2: It's really more My happiness has to do with the fact that Roger Craig taking his spot, his long awaited spot in pro Football's hallowed ground and he is the part of the Hall of Fame class at twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: It's an amazing class.
Speaker 2: Drew Brees, Larry Fitzgerald Luke Keigley, Adam Vinatieri, and Roger Craig. And I just wanted to say not only congratulations to Roger, his family, his friends, his teammates, and everybody who loves him, but I also want to say congratulations to you, Mark, because you you had a hand in this, You had a role in this, and I'm so proud to say that. You know, I was maybe had a little small part in this as well, and I'm so excited. I know you are as well. It's not about you, it's not about me, but it's about Roger. But tell us a little bit about what you did to try to make this a reality, because this is a long road and this is this is not the first time you and I have talked about Roger for the fame, and you've spent a lot of hours invested in this.
Speaker 3: Tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has been along road about thirty years that he's been waiting to get in and it's long overdue, it's well deserved. But you are one of the big reasons why he's in. Because when I reached out to you and said, hey, I heard in that pregame show, I heard the stats, the case that you made. Can I get a copy of that because I want to write an article on it? And you gave me, you know, you called me and said, here's here's the case, and then you kind of challenged me, Hey, don't just write an article. See if you can get some guys on board, because you know, you're writer, you're a fan, that's great. But if you can get some guys like Joe Montana and Steve Young and Ronnie Lott, if you can get those kinds of guys behind you, then this this could go a long way. And you know, I said, okay, I'll give that a shot, thinking how in the world am I going to get, you know, in touch with these guys. But I ended up had a contact with the team who put me in contact with somebody else that was with the team back from the glory days. And then that individual just said, hey, who do you want? And I said, I just started naming names, and I started with Joe and Jerry and and Ronnie and all these guys, and next thing I know, I'm reaching out to him. And because it was Roger Craig, they they all reached back out to me. And so it really is a testament to the kind of person that that Roger is because these these guys were all willing to talk to somebody that they didn't know, just just just for a chance that he might make it into the Hall. And so it was definitely a collective effort. Couldn't have done that on my own. So I appreciate you. And Matt Mayoko gave me a lot of guidance. Being that he's a Hall Hall of Fame voter, he was able to tell me, Okay, here's how they think, here's what you need to to speak to as far as the Hall of Fame voters. But you know, some of it I had to do on my own. Like I got Mike Singletary. Didn't have anybody get his information for me, but he has a charity. I went to that charity website and just filled out this little contact for him and said who I was and why I was wanting to talk to to Coach Singletary. And he called me the next day. And so that that shows you how great of a person Roger Craig is because so many people were willing to help. I mean, when we were making this big push the last time that we were doing it, I think I remember right, Joe Montana was out of the country, and so there were some people Eddie de Barbelow's office, they were getting some of the some of the guys like Lott and Singletary and Steve Young and different guys. They were getting them together to call Hall of Fame voters and say, hey, he needs to get he needs to be selected. And Montana was in another country and he took time out of his schedule to call some Hall of Fame voters while he was overseas. And so I think that just shows you how great of a person Roger Craig is.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so true somewhere in this path. I I did an event with Roger down in San Jose and and I told him, I said, hey, man, we're gonna we're gonna fight this fight. We're gonna get you in there. We're gonna we're gonna, you know, because he's he was too proud to do it on himself, do it for himself. He's just he's not the kind of guy who's gonna do that. He's just not He's not Drew Pearson. He's not gonna.
Speaker 3: I should have been in you know.
Speaker 2: And and yet you know what the squeaky Wheel gets the grease and I I promised him, I'm like, man, we are gonna fight this fight. We're gonna we're gonna knock on every door, We're gonna remind people. But what you were and and and and we're gonna we're gonna get this done. And Roger was like, you know, very happy, you know, very gracious, But you know, this means so much to him, and it's meant so much to him, and to have to wait as long as he has, it's just it's not right. There are bigger injustices in the world. I'm not pretending that this is the greatest injustice of all time, but this is a guy who, if Walsh had not died early, Walsh would have led the charge. And unlike you or I, who don't maybe quite have the juice, if Bill had said Roger's a Hall of Famer and kept saying it, you know, he would have been in probably a decade ago. And instead he's had to wait, largely because Bill passed and he didn't have that advocate. But I'm just glad that that we could be that advocate and that and you talk to a lot of guys, I mean and you did a lot of interviews, So tell us a little bit about this, because I know you put together a video, like an extensive video, and then what happened with that video?
Speaker 3: Where did that video go?
Speaker 4: So first I did I wrote a story on forty nine ers web Zone, and then I took that once we finished it, I took that and sent it to all the guys involved, so Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Eddie de Bartolow, Ronnie Lott, Brent Jones, Carmen Policy, George Seyffert. All of these guys got a copy of that article so they could send it off to whoever they wanted to send it off to. I then sent it to every Hall of Fame senior voter that I had received. I don't remember who it was, but somebody had given me all of those names. I think it was somebody from Eddie D's office. So I sent it all to them and some of them responded said thank to you, and some of them didn't respond. So then about a year so later, we did that podcast series that you were a part of, and that was you making the Hall of Fame case. That was some media people like Matt Mayoko and some Hall of Fame voters. And then that was the players, you know, Steve Young and Ronnie Lott and some of those guys. And so once we finished that, we sent that to the Hall of Fame voters as well. But there was also an article in there that I did that had Mike Singletary and Harry Carson and John Robinson, who interestingly, interestingly enough, John Robinson and Dan Reeves both at two different times during the eighties, one of them in eighty five, one of them in eighty eight said Roger Craig is the best running back we have in the NFL. I'll remind you that John Robinson coached Eric Dickerson, so those are big words, you know. And then Mike Singletary to say, I put Roger Craig right up there with Walter Payton. Those are huge birds. So and so then Matt and Mayoko did a similar article. I don't remember which year it was, but he did something very similar where he reached out to a lot of players that played against Roger and and so he put something together and I think through mister mister D's office, they reached out to some other players I don't remember who all that they reached out to but they had they had other players contacting the Hall of Fame voters, and so there was just this huge effort beyond what I was doing to kind of collectively, let's just inundate them with with with a passionate police and a passionate case on why we think Roger Craig belongs to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, statistically, there was no doubt he belonged in and anybody could see that. But it's also about what is the Hall of Fame? It's you know, and who are these Hall of Famers? What's their role? Well, they're ambassadors for the sport. Who's a better ambassador for pro football and the forty nine ers in NFL football than Roger Craig. I mean, seriously, the guy, the guys in you know, testament to hard work. You know, he was a workmanlike player. I mean the workouts that Jerry Rice is credited. You know, Jerry runs the Hill. You know, it's like that was Roger's workout. You know, Roger introduced Jerry to the Hill.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like and you know, there's no bitterness at all.
Speaker 2: But I do think it's interesting that Jerry is so great and I think Jerry's a big part of this, to be completely honest, and I told you that I really felt like the number one reason that Roger Craig belonged to the Hall of Fame was Jerry Rice. And people would say, well, what do you mean. I said, well, Jerry Rice is the greatest offensive statistical entity that the league has ever seen. He blew out the records by tons. The leagues have been a passing league for the last twenty years. People are still not even approaching Jerry's records. So he played in an era where there was less passing, and yet his numbers are so dominating. And it's just like anything else. It's like, if you have a two hundred yard receiver with four touchdowns, guess what you'rre running back probably had, you know, forty two yards and no touchdowns. And there were a lot of games like that where Roger Craig's numbers were suppressed because he played with Rice. And you could say the same thing about Waters, the same thing about John Taylor, the same thing about Brent Jones. I'm not saying they all belong in the Hall, because there are a little bit more borderline cases. But when you factor in the Jerry factor and how much he dominated the ball.
Speaker 3: And you look at Roger's numbers.
Speaker 2: There's just no doubt that Jerry, even though he's great and there was not you know, it wasn't doing anything to Roger, but just the presence of a dominant statistical force like Jerry suppressed Craig's Hall of Fame resume and and there's.
Speaker 3: Just no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: And it's I'm just so glad that the correction has been made, or that there were enough numbers out there, there were enough people that realized. Did you know by the way that salth pala Antonio was as passionate about Roger Craig's Hall of Fame candidacy as we were.
Speaker 4: Not until he started working, Because I think that somebody because he made the last He's the one this past year that made the presentation to the Hall of Fame voters on Roger's behalf. And before he did that, he reached out to me just because he wanted to collect as much information as he could. And that was really the first time that I'd ever heard that he had any kind of push, you know, in Roger's favor. But yeah, you're right, he really was passionate and he was pushing for that. And I agree with you on the Rice thing. Joe Montana said it. If Jerry Rice wasn't there, imagine the kind of numbers that Roger Craig would have put up because Roger had his thousand thousand season and eighty five that was Rice's rookie year. And so from that point on, I mean in nineteen eighty eight when they won Super Bowl twenty three, that was kind of when Rice was starting to be known as maybe the best wide receiver in football and Roger was still Roger was the NFC Offensive Player of the Year that year because people who were voting for that recognized, hey, this is He's not just a numbers guy. This guy means a lot to this Super Bowl winning team.
Speaker 2: No, no question, no question about it. Did mister D is such a leader of this franchise and so many of his words, I think he was a guy that motivated South Palantoni to lead this charge to some degree. Do you remember any of the things that mister D said about Roger, Because I know, you know Rod, you know Eddie understands that Roger needed to be in there, and you know, really champion this, you know, behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to think of what there was something that he had said. Don't remember exactly what it was, but I think that he talked about the fact that Roger Craig changed Bill Walsh's offense. And I mean, you look at today, there's whether it's Kyle Shanahan or whoever, there are so many teams that are using at least part of what Walsh did. And so I think that, you know, when you can save that player changed the offense of a guy like Bill Walsh, that's a huge statement. And so I think that, if I remember right the barbelow, one of his big things was that, you know a lot of people blame the fumble in the NFC Championship, and how many people in their life that are very successful have a miscue. You know, I judge somebody by one mistake. I mean, before there was the catch in that nineteen eighty one NFC Championship game, how many times did Joe Montana turn the ball over? It doesn't matter. I think that, Yeah, what matters is what happened in the end. And so I think that that, you know, you don't judge based off one play, but that just happened to be his final play with the forty nine ers, And so I even had some forty nine Ers fans reach out to me during this time and say, I don't think he belongs in the Hall of Fame because of that humble and my response ridiculous, Hey, maybe maybe you should get a new team. Then No, E's like.
Speaker 3: Bro, mistake, Yeah, Bro, check yourself.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, so what Pablo Picasso, It's not it's not really art because there was a little yellow speck in the corner.
Speaker 3: It's like, what stop?
Speaker 2: Uh? A Niner fan sent this sent me a note a couple of weeks ago, saying that Roger's signature run is an example of his hall of fame.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know efforts and I and I thought, you know what, I can understand that he had that signature run against the Rams, and it's like everybody thought he was tackled, but he kept going and here comes the high knees and but every he thought he was tackle but no, he keeps going. And you know the effort and the energy and the determination and it's like, you know what it took all of that effort, all of that energy, all of that determination, to get him to Saturday in Canton and Mark, you had a huge hand in it, man, and I just wanted to say thank you for what you did. You went above and beyond, Man. You took the baton and you ran with it. And I really believe that this day doesn't happen without your efforts. And I just wanted to highlight you today on camb Are and let people know that story and know what you did. And I'm so proud of it, and I'm really I feel like we got something. We actually made a difference, and we got this guy to a place that he rightfully belongs. And I just want to say thank you from Niner fans everywhere for what you did. And I just want you to enjoy the speech on Saturday. I know I will. It's one of my favorite days of the year. Raddy and I used to talk about our favorite football days, and the one thing we agreed on is we both loved the Hall of Fame speeches because it's like that, you know, it's the end of a guy's football life and there's some great moments there and they're thanking people that help them and nobody gets there by themselves, and there's always somebody who helped you, a coach, a teacher, a mentor, or a wife, a girlfriend, whatever.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure Roger will shout out a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people that helped him, but if it was if everything was right in the world, he would shout out your name because you had a huge hand in it.
Speaker 3: Man. Congratulations man, and thanks for coming on.
Speaker 2: Camb are telling the story, giving a little background, and enjoy that stuff this weekend, and way to go.
Speaker 4: My pleasure.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was my honor to be part of it. And I'm going to enjoy watching him, like watching him walk on the field last night when they when they introduced him, and you could just see on his joy, you know, the joy. And so tomorrow I think is going to be really special.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt. Mark Adams from Fort Netter websone. Mark, thanks again, all right. We appreciate Mark for coming on. And what he did was really above and beyond, man. He really took the baton and ran with it and championed this cause and got his teammates and circled the wagons and got everybody together and did all the testimonials and the interviews and oh man, I mean, just a great respect for Mark Adams.
Speaker 3: From forty nine Er website. All Right, as we were talking.
Speaker 2: It came across the screen that the on ESPN they're saying the forty nine ers only have a seven percent chance of winning the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: There seems to be.
Speaker 2: Two distinctly different camps when it comes to the Niners in this upcoming season. The people that are like, yeah, they're absolutely one of the best teams in Pro football, They're a Super Bowl contender. Perty's going to get one. Shanahan's going to get one and bring it on.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: And then there's the other side of it going the Niners aren't legit super Bowl contenders. Chris Sims has said it. Colin Coward has said it. Are the Niners in a way, Cambi are What are the Niners this year? They legit Super Bowl contenders that have a real chance to win the Super Bowl at sofar in February? Or are they pretenders with nothing more than a puncher's chance? Aint away Cambi are. If you're driving around, where do you see the forty nine Ers as it pertains to their Super Bowl chances this upcoming year? Ain Away cambr If you want to bang the number and get in. We can take some of your calls. We're hopefully going to catch up with Ronnie Lott, Matt Mayoko, Andy Bagerley, a lot more straight ahead, so keep it locked right here.
Speaker 3: Larry Krueger with you on the sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Now back to the sports Leader Middays with your host Larry Krueger.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Larry Kruger with you on a Friday on the sports Leader. Man, We're having a good time. I hope you guys are enjoying it today. And if you want John Cougar Mellencamp tickets for August twelfth at shore Line in Mountain View, right now, we're going to take one winner be caller number ten at four one, five eight nine six kmbr H. That person wins two tickets to see John Cougar Mellencamp at Shoreline Amphitheater August twelfth, furnished by Live Nation. Find official rules at thesports Leader dot com.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Two tickets to see John Cougar Mellencamp Wednesday, August twelfth. Shoreline Amphitheater tickets are on sale now at livenation dot com. Caller number ten gets them at four one, five eight nine six k nb R. All right, probably shouldn't have come back with some ac DC. Probably should have came back a little Jack and Diane. But whatever, whatever I mean, come on, Uh, we're not Picky. Blame Curly, Chips mccarthy'sys, blame John Curley. Curly's kicking butt today. Somebody's bucking for a promotion. Holder, it's probably Curly. Somebody's bucking for a promotion. Ah, let's talk a little forty nine ers a couple things. One today is Dwight Clark day eight seven six. Another guy left us way too early. I loved Dwight Clark, loved Dwight Clark, played golf with Dwight Clark, did his number of events with Dwight Clark through the years. And there's just never been a better guy. I mean, I'm seriously, has there ever been a better guy than Dwight Clark. I mean, and for me as a you know, I was a kid who grew up in the Sunset. I was eleven when the Niners won the Super Bowl and I was there at the parade, you know, standing outside my dad's office overlooking the celebration because my dad worked at City Hall.
Speaker 3: He was a City Attorney's office sky.
Speaker 2: So we stood on his on his deck and looked out and Dwight Clark standing right beneath me, wearing that wearing that I wasn't a mink coat.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was a mink coat.
Speaker 2: It was, but it was definitely some animal, some collection, some animal perished for Dwight's coat that day. But then that, I mean, I was eleven this guy, you know, Montana to Clark in the corner of the end zone. He was my freaking hero. And then fast forward it's like the nineties and are you know and it's like Dwight's I met Dwight a few times and it's like then he came up to me. He's like, man, I'm a big fan of your show. Like what, you gotta be kidding me, even I don't like that terrible show. I'm just joking, but he did he I love the show Man, and I thought he was bising me. And then he starts talking about, yeah, the other night, this guy called in and you said this, and he said that, I'm like, dude, DC, you actually listen. And then we golfed a couple of times, and you know, every time he did a public appearance, he'd show up with.
Speaker 3: A box of his rings.
Speaker 2: I mean just not to show people he had him, but because he knew that made him happy. He was about making people happy. Man, Dwight Clark. Dwight Clark was special man, very special, very special, Gone way too soon. So today is Dwight Clark Day. Fist in the air for DC.
Speaker 3: Love him, love him. No better guy.
Speaker 2: I've been covering sports for a long time. As you guys know, there's no better guy. I mean, Chris Mullen is right there. There's some really good ones. Ned Colletti is a really good guy, sabes Dwight Clark in a in a category of his own. I mean that that's special of a guy. And to me, it's one of my great thrills to be able to say he was a friend of mine. It's like my hero as an eleven year old became a friend of mine. You gotta be kidding me, But that's the way, that's the way it came down. And d C was just such a great dude. So we miss your DC, love your brother. And I know you're gonna be happy for Roger Craig going to the Hall of Fame because he was a favorite.
Speaker 3: Of Dwight Clark's for sure. Let's talk a little Niners for a second. Here.
Speaker 2: Eight training camp practices into this camp. Today, they're doing a walk through, no media, no media availability. They'll be back on the practice field tomorrow. I'll be down there for that. Brock Perty is looking amazing, like he's like twenty six for his last twenty nine or something like that.
Speaker 3: He's just looking amazing. He looks really really good.
Speaker 2: Robert Jones has been running with the ones at left guard the last forty eight hours. The last couple of days out of the blue, Connor Colby had been running with ones at left guard, and Chris Furster told us that Coke Colby had an awesome offseason, but then he told us the other day that, you know, once they got to pads that you know, he regressed and he's not doing some things that they want him to do. And so they plugged Robert Jones and as the starter at left guarding. Now Connor Koby's running with the twos and the threes and he's playing some left guard, some right guard, and it looks like Jones is going to be that starter and Kobe is going to be the backup.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Things could change, but that's what it's looking like right now. Another guy who's having a rough camp is Jacob Cowing. I mean, I don't think he makes the team. Will Pauling the undrafted, he had a notre dame out shining him. Junior Bergen looks like he's going right by him, Jordan Watkins going right by him. All those guys are in front of Cowing. So Cowing, I don't know, man, I don't know if the Cowing may not make it. The one thing that's really great to every day at camp is the Niners have a ton more speed at receiver, Stribbling, Watkins, Crimes Pauling. These guy's all run in the four threes. The big story, of course, as you guys all know by now, Ricky Piersoll PCL surgery, he's out.
Speaker 3: Deebo Samuel has been brought in.
Speaker 2: Diebo looks good, he looks spry, he looks fast, he's in good shape. If there's one position group that's really awesome, it's the defensive tackle group. Osa odiggy Zuwa is killing it. Oh my god, he's just big time. He's twenty seven. He's just totally dominating I was talking to Brenda yesterday at the podium and I asked him, what about Osa what stands out?
Speaker 3: And he's like, I played with his brother at UCLA.
Speaker 2: And he's just strong, and he's fast, and he's smart and he's just you know, he's a handful. So you got Osa, and then you got West and Collins in year two, and then you got this kid, Gristin Halton. They drafted at Oklahoma, and he didn't look very good at the beginning of camp.
Speaker 3: Then he had the knee brews.
Speaker 2: He missed about a week to ten days whatever, it was not even that much, probably four or five days.
Speaker 3: But he's come.
Speaker 2: Back and he has been abusing offensive lineman in these one on one drills. Now, you don't want to overreact to the one on ones. They do favor the D tackles, they do favor the D lineman. But this kid has got a spin move, he's got speed, he's two ninety five. So you got Osa, you got West, you got Collins, you got Halton. Then they got these two undrafted guys that Chris Caseric told me, hey man, these guys would have been drafted. We had them as draftable players. Bryce and Easton is third and twenty pounds and quick. James Thompson Junior one of the strongest defensive tackles I've seen come into the league. Guy had thirty six reps at two twenty five. You know, that's about thirty more than I can do. And this guy's wrong. He might be one of the strongest defensive linemen in the league. This guy, this guy bull rush Brett Toath the other day and it was like he was pushing around like you know, some guy at target or something.
Speaker 3: I was like, who the heck? What is that?
Speaker 2: I mean, it was wild to watch James Thompson just bulldoze Brett Toath like seven yards back in just just the most vicious bull rush I think I've seen.
Speaker 3: So he looks good.
Speaker 2: There's still Sebastian val Does think there's a lot of bodies there at de tackle and then ogbo Ocuronquo.
Speaker 3: They just signed him. He's a veteran edge rusher.
Speaker 2: He looks like he's gonna give him little juice. The big, you know, mystery to look for in the in the preseason is what the young linebackers look like. Nick Martin, Jaden Duggar, Larry Wirth, the third. They're all guys to watch in the preseason. We'll talk more about them as well. But the Niners are deep at linebacker. They're deep at corner. Jack Jones, Ronardo Green, Drell Lutter have all looked really good playing more man coverage under Raheem Morris. The Niners have had a bunch of injuries. Twenty different guys have been dinged up, but Firster said that he thought that the Tennessee joint practices would still be a full go. The Niners did make a move yesterday. They signed Keon Smith, who played for Mike McDaniel. He's a guard and they wave Colton Dowell. So they're they're adding some more some more offensive linemen. But the real to me, the one story that's really fun to watch, Jade and Duggar. Niners have the six four, two and forty pounds linebacker with thirty five inch arms. This guy started as a safety at Georgetown and then went played for Louisiana for and he played, he played, he played, you know, stack backer, He played off the ball linebacker, he wore the green dot. He made one hundred and twenty five tackles and then they used him. They walked him up to the line of scrimmage and they used him in five man fronts, and you can see that Raheem is.
Speaker 3: Going to do exactly the same thing.
Speaker 2: And Dougar has been running with the first team defense at time this week, which is an enormously positive sign. This is the youngest guy on the team and Raheem has plans for kind of a new linebacker position, and it's gonna be one of the things to really look for when they hit the field in the preseason. This kind of fever linebacker, which is you know, it's a guy that you know. Greenlaw mentioned it to us at the presser the other day. It's a stand up linebacker that you know that brings, you know, the defense kind of some subtle changes. You know, guys who are kind of multiple can play multiple spots. You've heard terms like the starbacker before. That's just a word that describes somebody who can play the nickel or safety or outside linebacker. They can cover the slot receiver, they can tackle running backs in the box, and they can rush the passer.
Speaker 3: That's the star player. And it's like combo.
Speaker 2: It's like you're kind of an outside edge defender or It's almost like you could be a big nickel and Raheem can move up, move them up on the line of scrimmage and show you a four man look. I don't want to get two football esoteric, but walk that fifth linebacker up on the line of scrimmage and now you got a five man front and you've gone from a four to three wide nine to kind of like a five to two look, and it changes things. And Raheem said, man, we got some guys that have unique skill sets. He said, we got some guys here that have unique skill sets. And he's talking about Nick Martin, he's talking about Larry Wirth, the third, he's talking about Jaden Dugger. You know, try to use these guys as kind of like a spinner, which is another phrase to use kind of it's kind of like a hybrid defensive end linebacker. It's really just like you're a linebacker and you're moving around in on that second level like a off the ball linebacker, but you're really more like a Bruce Irvin, you know, think of him who played for Seattle for a while. He was kind of like that that spinner type, that DN linebacker hybrid that you put out there. As a linebacker. But you walk them up on the line of scrimmage and suddenly you're changing the defense without changing the personnel. And I think you're gonna see a lot more of that. You know, under Robert Sawa, what'd you see?
Speaker 3: You saw?
Speaker 2: You saw wide nine, four man rush wide nine. Rarely did he rush three, drop eight. He almost always rushed four. He rarely did he send extra guys. Five and six man rushes. You rarely saw that it was a four man rush, largely with zone played on the back end. That's what Robert solid did and does. That's what he does. Raheem does something different. Raheem has kind of a instead of a three to four, you know, two gap defense or a four to three wide nine one gap defense, he's got that five to two kind of one and a half gaps, and he's looking for those hybrid players that isn't a linebacker who's gonna drop or is it you know, is he covering the nickel?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, the the nickel receiver. Is he a safety? Is he coming after the quarterback? Are we looking at big nickel? Are we looking at base? Are we looking at dime?
Speaker 3: Or you know?
Speaker 2: And this just different ways to disguise coverages and give offenses. Just more multiple looks which makes them pause, and if they pause, that's a good thing. So Jaden Duggar guy to watch for sure, because he's been running with the ones and he's he's made some really big plays.
Speaker 3: Got to pick six the other day.
Speaker 2: You know, he's long, he's rangy, he can rush the passer off the edge, but he can play the run like a you know, like a like a like a down like a second level linebacker who's off the ball. So interesting, gonna be very interesting. Different wrinkles, a lot of the same. There'll be a lot of continuity. Chris Chris Caseric still the d line coach. Still gonna be a lot of wide nine looks. But you're gonna see more five two. You're gonna see more five man fronts. You're gonna see more blitzing. You're gonna see more man coverage because of the blitzing, and that favors guys who can play man coverage. Darrell Louder, Jack Jones, Ronardo Green. And it's also are going to kind of be interesting to see how does he use the hybrid linebackers that he has. Doug er, Martin Worth, maybe a couple other guys could fit into that description as well, And to me, that's one of the wrinkles to look for starting, you know, game one of the preseason against the Titans. All right, let's do this, let's take a time out. We're going to come back with more we've got. We may we may talk a little bit with Ronnie Lott. We're going to try to chase down Ronnie. Andy Baggerly's going to join us. In the twelve o'clock hour, we'll talk a little bit about what the Giants have coming up with the Tigers this weekend. Matt Mayoko will give us his report from forty nine er camp in the one o'clock hour, And if you want to chime in, feel free bang out the number eight a week CAMBR Larry Krueger with you on these Sports Leader