Speaker 1: Let's get back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park before Tonight's Giants game on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Friday afternoon at I'm coupling Deep Pop with you from the patio at fifty eight Social Giants and the Tigers tonight seven fifteen first pitch six to fifteen pre game. But first we got to cack in with our guy. Marcus Thompson, of the athletic best sports rider in the country, joins us.
Speaker 3: Each and every Friday here on Dirty Work. What's up, Marcus? How are you?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: Marcus?
Speaker 3: Where are you all at at the at the ballpark?
Speaker 4: We're here today? Who knows tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Who knows from now? We're here?
Speaker 1: Okay, I just heard the noise and the background. I'm like, where are they a high show? What's going on?
Speaker 2: That was when you heard the sirens a couple weeks ago? Yeah, that was more such show? Like, man, So what's up with you?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: We've had an uneventful week? What are you up to?
Speaker 1: Similarly uneventful? Similarly chill? How about we can just say chill. How about we go with that chilling, very chill week?
Speaker 4: All right, very very different for us this week. I'd say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, indeed, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that has been I don't know, go ahead, go ahead, No, I would like to hear your questions. I was gonna like shift gears to sports. But if you had something else, you can you can hit that.
Speaker 1: I mean, no matter what you said, I was gonna say, you know what I want to say. You can go to gears, you go to sports all you want to Uh, it's your Your week has been very disheartening. Yeah, especially as an outsider looking in. Uh, I definitely want to give a huge uh shout out to a legend in our profession and Greg Papa and just reading about what he's going through was simultaneously like heartwarming and heartbreaking. Uh So, my thoughts and my desire to talk is kind of limited to Greg Papa, who, more than anything, really just deserves the Bay Areas unflinching and unyielding support. If you're a sports fan out here and you've ever heard his voice in a moment, if you've ever been around him, if you ever benefited from him, if you ever just got a chance to get a dose of his swag, then we should all be companies and fans alike in support of Greg Papa. So that's all I really want to say today. How about that?
Speaker 5: Nope, I appreciate that, man, and I appreciate your reaching out to me. And yeah, would you say that our swag is comparable though me and my father's I would.
Speaker 1: I would say, I say, every time I see you, I get the same sense of you know, you could have been flying any era that I get from your father. Like sometimes I call you Greg because I think y'all the same person. That's how. But the swag is similar, right, I mean, you're clearly your daddy's son, right, like the French coach you wear, the trench coach you wear, the cologne, that meat that gets around the corner before you do. You know what I'm saying, the uh and and the charming voice. Yeah, yeah, you know. I mean, you're playing in your pop swag. I'm just putting on you. I'm just imagining this world where you are like your father and swag. So I'm trying to paint the picture for the audience of what Derek looks like with a black trench coat on, and you know, and.
Speaker 3: Right, I was like, I'm over.
Speaker 2: Here thinking about Willie Brown, Bro, you're telling me about Pop. I was like, will you just starving tray? What's happening here?
Speaker 1: Listen? Man? You don't know man, that that that overcoat, that car Yeah, I don't know about the day at the Raider Stadium, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, that was a little more like a cheat coat as well. I would wear what I'm saying, yeah, and what well, what do you call it then? A car coat, an overcoat?
Speaker 3: An overcoat? Yeah, an overcoat, that's good.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you called a trench coat when he when he has like a scarf underneath it.
Speaker 1: I feel like, if they go past your pockets, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You're in the trenches if it goes past the pocket, yeah. Marcus on the umber, guess you know the swag, you know, the swaggiest thing that's ever been transferred from Greg Papa to Derek Papa. And I'm gonna put this out there. I don't know if Marcus even knows this. Greg has said on the air that Derek was conceived on the day that Dave Stewart threw a no header. I was like, that's the dopest thing ever he saw. Smoke Stewart throwing. He's like, I gotta I gotta make.
Speaker 4: One good lord.
Speaker 1: Wait wait old dang. For some reason I thought boring, but you said see oh man, so did the stare down happen? First? He's just lucky? And did he give me that glass?
Speaker 2: You know, we did the math, bro. It's like it's like nine months and four days too. It's like it's almost exact, and you get out of this business.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that was that was as like live as it gets because I was thinking birthday, birthday, and then Dawn, we can see you. I'm like, wait a second. Then I could just see him like tipping that cat waving them off, like Nope, nope, not that, not that. Don't wear that. Nope, no you wear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, and you only get that if you're flying.
Speaker 3: You gotta be pop to do that. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You got it like yeah, we're Stu or Stu. Yeah smoke and so you I mean you mentioned it, dude. I was telling stories yesterday. I remember meeting Greg when I was when I was working at Boulevard Restaurant. I was telling everybody he left me tickets to a Raider game, and I thought, there's no way, these are actually here. And I was like, I'm a bart over there and he left me tickets two days later.
Speaker 3: Didn't even know me.
Speaker 2: I was like a host in a restaurant that he was at. But do you remember your first interaction with pop up or the first time that you really got to know him a little bit, either at the coliseum or beyond.
Speaker 1: Absolutely at the coliseum, here's how I knew all I needed to know right off the back. Yeah, like I obviously I knew who he was. I didn't know he knew who I was. But he said it as he walked up to me and he gave me adapt and it was so smooth, you know how, you know how sometimes it don't you know, like Derek, you might know what I mean, Sometimes you botch that. You know, I'm just saying it can be very awkward. Man, It was so smooth and cool. I was like, man, this is exactly who I thought he was. It was just like it's a small gesture, but he was like Obama out there.
Speaker 3: It wasn't It.
Speaker 1: Wasn't a simple handshake neither. It was like a three parter with the have. I was like, oh, this is my guy right now.
Speaker 3: That's what we would call Derek. Let me tell her, that's what we would call giving some skin. Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying on the black hand side, you feel me? Yeah there, Yes, you ain't never bumbled it there, you ain't never.
Speaker 5: You ain't never.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what I thought.
Speaker 5: I'm not like I have him, but there's been times where people have been impressed.
Speaker 3: I've taught some people off guard.
Speaker 1: All fa Pops has never bundled it like he do hard than us.
Speaker 4: Fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 2: He's a student of the game, as you know. In many rounds, in many many fastest Pop is a student of the game without question.
Speaker 4: Okay, you see, my dad's invited the cookout, but not so much meme.
Speaker 1: Not only is he invited to the cookout, he bringing the dish and we eat it. You know what I'm saying, like, Yeah, yeah, ain't no raisins in a potato salad. He want to bring here, gonna bring some Metalian food that we all love. You know, you don't know me have this, but it's good. Let's go within it, let's have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the guy that when somebody's got to go to the bathroom. The dude on the girl has to go to the bathroom. He's like, pop, come work this for him, to watch this for me? Dude, you know he trust him to watch the grill.
Speaker 4: Watch it, but he's not doing anything on it. I know my father and the grill grill himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't picture him on the grill. That's too much sweat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, too much, it'll it'll miss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's tough to be in a car code at the grill.
Speaker 3: You know what I just over there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, switching gears real quick.
Speaker 5: Marcus, what was your reaction to Kevin duran and Klay Thompson here?
Speaker 3: He told you what he wanted to talk about, But I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't bring this up briefly.
Speaker 1: Sure you could bring it up. Sure, absolutely, you can bring it up. Finishing questions.
Speaker 5: Okay, what'd you think of Klay Thompson and Kevin Durants exchange on social media this past week?
Speaker 1: You know, I actually thought it was impressive. How Like, for all these years, Greg Papa was a raider guy and tradition to like call in forty nine ers games like and he came up with a call and it was awkward. He's missed the Raider, So for him to make this transition, to me, it was all about expertise, right. It was like, you all know, I cover a bunch of sports, right like, so that's as somebody who does it. It is incredibly difficult. But for him to just ingratiate himself in Niner culture the way he did, to turn those calls and make them as you know, impactful as all those years were the Raiders where he was like the facto GM anyway, right like that to me is one of the most precious, impressive things you'll see in our profession. And it certainly helps that the Raiders were in Las Vegas right like they're gone or not having presence anymore. But after seeing that and listening to that, I just I just never imagined that day, Like twenty years ago. You're not thinking Greg Papa is going to be the voice of the forty nine ers one day. It just sounds weird, right.
Speaker 3: It's just it doesn't feel weird anymore now. Dude.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the East, you know, just like you manifest that seems so weird kind of work different for you. But I wasn't a Raider fan, But I thought it was a little weird at first. Now I don't even really think about it. I really don't.
Speaker 5: Okay, I get what you want wanna answer to day Marcus, So I'll ask you.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you this question.
Speaker 4: I'll ask you this question.
Speaker 5: No no, no no no no no.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay.
Speaker 5: So years ago, your guy Tim Kawakami asked my dad about this whole rumor that he was going to be the general manager of the Raiders, had Al Davis stuck around, So obviously things didn't happen.
Speaker 4: What if well if if, I'll say it alive obviously yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it was like on his call, right, He's like, yeah, yeah, I'm out right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, I don't think. I think I'm gonnax it on my own.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna check out. I'll check it out. Yeah okay.
Speaker 5: So, like, what do you think the Bay Area's reaction would have been if Greg Poppa, after years of being a play by play guy, was introduced as general manager of president of football Operations for the Raiders.
Speaker 1: What's your I think I actually think it would have been like more fitting than you see kind of these things now right, uh, Like like remember when Bob Myers was an agent and to being a germannager, we were like, I don't know this is gonna work. Like it felt weird that I mean, you know, because obviously we didn't really know Bob Myris at that point, so it's like, what can this agent do with no experience. I think that would have been Greg pop Up becoming the general manager, like he already felt like the team for a lot of us who just grew up with the voice like his command for the team, like like that's how we would learn about football. It was it was Greg pop on Raiders, it was Jim Barne that don't work, like you learned about the team and not just what was happening with the game. So I think it would have been a little bit more seamless than I imagine, Like it would be like if you know, Adam Goldman just became like Mike Dunley's number two, he'd be like, what are you doing? Right? Like what happened? So I think it would have been actually fine. I think people would have been shocked. But what was the Raiders suscept anyway? Who were they going to get another retread that wasn't gonna do a good job, like yeah, like you you probably could, You probably would have got more supportives, like, hey, trying, We're trying everything at this.
Speaker 2: Point, Marcus Thompson of the Athletic Jointes, each and every week here on dry work, that's all.
Speaker 3: We got for you, Marcus.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you making time for us, and then this hasn't been fun this week for any of us.
Speaker 3: So and I know your connection.
Speaker 2: To the Bay Area and to the East Band, to Greg Pop individually, So really, man, I do appreciate you.
Speaker 3: You're making time.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll tell you what, man, I'm not gonna be as classy about it. I'm dropping names, I'm telling stories. I'm just just so y'all know, let's get this on the record, like you put me in these type of spots, I won't be smiling. I'll be like it's gonna be a tell all book, like you want to treat me like this, Okay, Yeah, I write that down.
Speaker 3: Like I said, Man, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's not as crazy as firing somebody with cancer, but it is crazy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It is out there.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not going out with class.
Speaker 2: I just want yeah, man, so it's almost like sor I'll say it, but you did it. So anyway, Mark, ain't that bad. Marcus Thompson of the Athletic for now joins us every Friday. We'll talk to you soon, Marcus.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 2: Marcus Thompson of the Athletic, he joins us each and every week. Though that's a he's a trenches guy. Yeah, Marcus Thompson isn't in the trenches.
Speaker 1: Guy with us. Man.
Speaker 3: I love that guy.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Guys look up for me so much of my career. I always love and respect that guy. All right, we're gonna take a quick break. Members of the Filter as showing up here at fifty eight. So so we got a getting dirty with the filth. Oh yeah, tell me.
Speaker 2: You're waiting about an hour at five point forty five. You can sit down and now you're good.
Speaker 3: You can cheer. You're the one. You're the one cheering, so yeah, more power to you.
Speaker 5: If everybody else is booming it, throwing tomatoes at it, we'll we'll get dirty with the filth in about an hour.
Speaker 3: Derek wants you to sit down and ask us one question apiece.
Speaker 4: One question.
Speaker 2: One quest question and get it ready. Yeah, one question. We will do that a bit later. But you know what this is, dude. It's a Friday and we have to work overtime. You know what that means. What's that we're playing a replay of an interview?
Speaker 4: Nice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, you know who's great? Rich?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: He joined us each and every Thursday. He's so great. Eight you'll hear it again next. It's thirty work. It's a Friday from fifty eighth Social and it's only here on the replay Leader