Speaker 1: Now back to dirty work. Adam Copeland and Derek Papa in the k nb R Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in? Please play responsibly? Called one eight hundred Gambler.
Speaker 2: All right, we do it every week with the one and only Marcus Thompson with the Athletic.
Speaker 3: Marcus.
Speaker 2: What's going on man?
Speaker 3: How's the backyard with Tom? Oh? It was a great time, man, it was. We were there for a while long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four hours?
Speaker 3: Four hours? Yeah, I think I did a solid four. What beer did you offer you? Ginger beer, my beer of choice? You're okay? All right, all right, all right, there you go.
Speaker 2: So I want to talk to you about Don Nelson. You wrote a great article in The Athletic, and you know, I've heard stories from my pops, Tom and Gary Saint Gene about how great Don Nelson was. It's also great to read your article. And you know, we'll talk about how Stephen Jackson loved him and smoke we with him and Willie Nelson. So just what was it about his personality in your opinion, that made him relate to everybody?
Speaker 3: I think Nelly just understood people because he had decided long ago to just be himself. And you know that was sometimes mercurial, right, he rubbed some people the wrong way, and I think he just understood like some people think of him in a way, and he still knows he gets the job done. So like he just had a unique ability to see pass whatever the perception was, and to find and even if it was true, he could just find the gym. And that's why so many people just really ride for him because if you doubt yourself, if you have questions, if he listened to narrative, Nelly will be like, yeah, I hear what they say, but watch what I do with you. And he was that way, right. He was a guy who, you know, in many ways people thought was a gimmicky coach and didn't have what it takes to win. And he's like, yeah, see me in the playoff series though, I'll show you something. And that was kind of his thing, Like he knew he was smart, that he knew how to find the best in people. And because of that people, the people who love him, they really love him.
Speaker 4: Marcus, what what do you remember about just kind of growing up and run TMC and and and being a young man and enjoying that style of basketball and then becoming somebody that covered the We Believe team and actually got to you know, talk to Nelly daily and go to practice and hear the way the players spoke of him. Just take me through sort of that transition of kind of being a fan and appreciating Nelly for you know, creating this brand of basketball that that was great and fun and everybody wanted to watch or play, and then actually getting to cover him as as somebody that was you know, young and up and coming in the business.
Speaker 3: You know, growing up, I didn't I don't think I under stood it well enough, right, I just knew it was exciting. I knew Chris Mother was great. Tim Hardaway had to crossover, you know. Mitch Richmond I was a big we're big fans of Shrew and this Marcell owners in our neighborhoods, and he was so tough, you know, and you just you don't really understand the philosophy behind it. We just knew that like the Big Bad Lakers, or remember they beat the Sun Antonio Spurs in the series, Like these were the teams that we didn't have a shot at, and somehow we had a shot at him, and I felt like that I didn't understand why that was until you cover him and you start to hear his philosophies and his viewpoints and how how he saw the game, And now that stuff starts making sense in hindsight. I know, I couldn't stand I was hot when they traded Mitch Richmond for Billy Ones. That was crushing, But you understand, like how he thinks about the game. So later on, when it's like, hey, Steven Jackson Al Herringson's you're my four, my five, right, You're like, Okay, it sounds crazy, it sounds ridiculous, but I get why he's doing it. So covering Delly, getting to ask him why he's doing something, and his willingness to explain it to.
Speaker 5: A little scrub from the construction times like me, I learned it and then I got I gained a greater appreciation for what they actually encountered because it really, it really was all a byproduct of having, you know, not not as much as the other team, but figuring out a way to still be a threat, and that that was pretty big.
Speaker 3: I like that once I got to understand what.
Speaker 2: It was talking to Marcus Thompson on the UMA guest Line. Okay, we've been talking about Mike de Levy's comment the other day. I thought it was kind of odd. Jad doesn't think it's that big of a deal. Why do you think Mike done Leevy wanted to let us know that if Steph were to ask for a trade, he and Joe with Grant.
Speaker 3: One because he wants everybody to know that he's loyal success and a lot of people are thinking they're ruining the end of Seth's career, and he's making it clear, like, man, Steph is in it with us. If Steph wanted to go, I would let him go, That's what he's saying, Like Steph is who they view Steth the way the fans view steps I think that was his point was I mean, I probably wouldn't have went there if I was him, Like why would you even bring it up in this age of like aggregation, But that was his point, like we you guys, you guys think we're ruining it for Steth, but really we have this value for him that is surpassing what you think. So we respect him so much that if he wanted to be traded, we were just that we would just do it just because that's what he wants and he deserves right now, I wouldn't do it anyway, Like, God, all.
Speaker 6: You want, Steph, but you know, I'm sorry, I want I want to do who's such a big draw that this is widely regarded as not even a playoff team, But somehow he's got twenty eight you know, national TV games, Like.
Speaker 3: I'm keeping that guy around. But but that was the sentiment, like they are they value step That's what he's trying to get across, and they aren't trying to hurt him. And if he ever felt that way, you know they would, they would, they would grant his wishes. That to me, that's a backdoor way of saying everything we're doing Steph is aware of, and he understands, and we're talking to him, and he hasn't demanded a trade the BD we will honor it. So what did that feel you? I think that's what Mike Denley was trying to say, Marcus.
Speaker 4: Are the Warriors delusional in thinking that they can run back this this same team? And and once you like, shouldn't it be freeing that you're acknowledging the fact that you can't win a title in terms of trying to go out and do something a little bit different.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're a delusional. I think they're probably more realistic than their fan base. I mean, look, if you're just looking at it from their perspectives, are you really about to start over? Like what would you rather h you know, just to be the Sacramento Kings or to be the Warriors with Steph Curry fighting for relevance? Like in the end, twenty twenty five was two years ago, right like that, it literally just happened, and I know people were like they didn't have a chance at a title, But making the second round of the playoffs it's profitable, right, Like, it's way more profitable than not making a playoff. As long as you've got step there's still a draw. You got Raymond, Like, I think they've settled it into reality. I don't think they have options, to be honest.
Speaker 4: But couldn't you make the case Marcus that looking at again, maybe there isn't the big move that makes you a title contender, But this as it's currently constituted is not gonna be two years ago. Like they're they're not, like, and I.
Speaker 3: Don't know that they I don't know that they've made that conclusion though, like and I don't know that you can either, Like we're looking at this. I mean, look, just just say, by some stroke of magic, they're healthy in May or in April, they're somehow Staffs Drakemond, Jimmy Butler and all of them are healthy in April. You don't think they gould to play a game that's that's invaluable.
Speaker 4: They can if they're thirty three and forty nine, because.
Speaker 3: That's by the point, that's but that's my point. So what's the option is to be thirty three and nine without that? Without sets? Well, who are you going to go get it to make you forty and forty?
Speaker 4: Well, that's where that that's where I do think. I mean, that's where I do think there are a ton of options available that that they could have explored at the expense of running the you know, Porzingis and Horford and Melton and look, I'll be accountable to it. I said, bring those guys back. But how do you bring those guys back and not go get a combo guard who can be a lead scorer when Steph's out?
Speaker 3: Wow, I think for the very reason I think the very reason that you think they're thirty with three wins teams, it's the very reason they can't do that, Because if they're a thirty three wins team, what makes you think these guys are valuable? Like? Who are you training to go get that player? You see what I'm saying, Like if there's like if I would say the other way, like, hey, this this is a this is a team that could be dangerous of healthy. Yeah, they should probably be able to go swap one d player. But if you're saying this team is trash, what do you need the rest of the league things? You're going to fans, So who is the player that they're like, yeah, we'll take that player. You know, remember their big Fishalis Kamina was like, oh de traite commedia, Well we see what the league think about Kamina. That's what I've said. I think there are the options. I think they ran out of bullets in the good right Like now, to me, I think they're I don't think they're thirty three win teams. I think they're one injury away from being a thirty three win team. But to me, it's the Isaiah Jones of the world, right, It's the Aaron Wiggins. It's the players who moved and they aren't big splashes that Kobe's got a way you can get that. Kobe went on Kobe White badragging for a minute. Yeah exactly. So I think it's those type of players where they probably should have said, ay, all right, yeah man, maybe we give up a pick, the first round pick instead of whole known to it. But at this point right now, with with Jimmy and My and Moses Moudy out like, who you taking really like, I don't know. I think they're I think they're kind of screwed a bit.
Speaker 4: Well that's where I'm with you in terms of the Isaiah Joe's and the Aaron Wiggins and the Kobe Whites. And I'm not saying it's easy to acquire those guys either, Marcus. But but I think, and this is where I'll use the word delusional, I think they are a little delusional when Mike Dunlevy is saying, hey, I'm we're betting on health of guys that have proven that they aren't gonna stay healthy. And on top of that, Steph's gonna probably miss some time. So it's making the second half meaningful. Is gonna be contingent on Steph playing thirty five out of the first forty games and being awesome just to be, you know, twenty two and eighteen at that point, and I just think it's unrealistic to expect that they're not gonna be seventeen and twenty three, you know, unless Yaxel's just borderline All Star or Pajemski turns into you know, a two level better player than he is right now. And I don't think Pajemski's a bad player at that I think he's a solid player. So I don't know that. That's kind of where I'm at on it. So you know, obviously it's a fun conversation.
Speaker 3: I don't, Yeah, I don't. I don't think you're off. I just say that if you take their reality and the one you create, and let's just say they get you about the same place, which one you take in this un this this unknown road that don't I don't know. I'll probably go get these players. I don't know if it's gonna work, or you say, well, I just I guess I'll just have more faith than Raymond of them like that. That's the easy answer. That's what's been for the last.
Speaker 4: Four years, and I guess that's where I'm more inclined to maybe maybe take a little bit of a risk because I'm convinced that the way that they're doing it probably isn't isn't gonna work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just saying I think they they're looking at it like, man, if we can just get healthy, because when it when it happens. But also we we tend to look at it like they don't have a shot to win a championships, to do something different, and it's like that. I don't think that. I don't think that's the case. I think they're thinking, hey, if you make the second round of the playoffs and put a scare into somebody and maybe make the West Finals, that was a good year. I think Steph is thinking, man, just get me a shot, like, get me a shot at Oklahoma City, get me a shot at saying so they still feel like they can they can do some damage, right, So perhaps that's the delusion, But I'm saying it's also a little bit delusional to think they're about to cash in niche ships and go get a team that's better than what they have. That's that ain't gonna happen either, Well, that's fair.
Speaker 4: And I will say, if they can get to the second round, that would be an awesome season. Like I'm not sitting here saying everything I'm saying Marcus and then saying, but it's got to be a championship. I'm saying that fully understanding the championship's off the table, no question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I just think, yeah, it's a wild bet. It's probably not a conventional bet. I don't know if the other bed is better. Like, I mean, you get down to it. Just do you give four picks for Jayalen Brown? Like, I mean, that's really what the clutch. It is what we're talking about. Do you get do you do it?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: If they do it, you know that's the move, that's the movie. You make it. Now you got to live with it. That's what it was with Jimmy. Do you remember it was like Jimmy. I don't know about Jimmy. I don't know. It was nicey. They gave Jimmy fifty eight million dollars extra right and gave up a first round pick, so it was like, all right, this is the move. So I mean, at some point they just don't have the Arsenal. I don't even know what they have anymore. They like the Kaminga, George Blue, all those other players, they didn't flip them into something. So now they're just running out of options, and I don't know who the player is they gets them to April, like I don't know, maybe maybe Steph can play seventy games and still have some juice left at the end. Maybe they make it till December, Jimmy comes back, and now Steph carest and Jimmy carry. I don't know. I feel like that's the part where it's like I just I kind of don't see it. It feels like Lebron didn't see it either. But if you're there and you're thinking, if we get to April with with with with health, you know, I think they feel like, all right, we can do this now. We saw it didn't happen last year, but they were without Jimmy Butler, you know, in Moses Moodie. So they beat If they beat Phoenix, they're in the playoffs and then they probably get you know, boat race for Oklahoma City. That's what it would have been.
Speaker 2: I was hope we could do the Marcus and JD back and forth for the next four hours, but we're running that time here. Marcus will go through the schedule game by game next week.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I thought it was a good question and worthy of conversation. No no, no, no no no no, no no no, it was good.
Speaker 4: It was going to get scolded for going back and forth.
Speaker 3: Mark, Well, I loved it. I loved it. Time before pregame here, Marcus.
Speaker 2: We'll talk you next week, man, yes, sir, alright later, man, all right, we'll wrap things up here at fifty eighth Social John Dickets and Derek Papa the Sports.
Speaker 3: Later