Speaker 1: You have time here from Fenway. Beautiful night, great crowd. Tons of memorable moments in this game. I mean lots of them. Obviously a lot of that centered around rape El Devers, but ultimately for the Giants, this one is frustrating because it was one inning from the guy you count on more than anybody.
Speaker 2: On the mound, Logan Web.
Speaker 1: And even though the Giants did a great job of getting back in the game after that inning, we saw one of the big strengths of this Red Sox team.
Speaker 2: When you are behind late against them.
Speaker 1: Their bullpen is really good, their closer is really good, and it's too much to overcome for the Giants.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it was. I think we talked about it. We thought it was going to be a pitcher's duel between these two. They've had such almost the last three starts have almost been identical for both these guys, and you're thinking, all right, well, they're going to attack the zone. They're gonna put the pressure on the offense to try to score a little bit. We know that the ro Red Sox have been so hot in the second half and that Logan Web was gonna have his work cut out for him, and it was going to challenge the discipline of the hitters as to how they're going to put it in play.
Speaker 4: Apparently not.
Speaker 3: I mean that third inning, thirty five pitches they got out of him, and he just wasn't able to bounce back off of that, and and you thought all the momentum was going to be gone. And then the two big swings by Gilbert and by Devers. Now you're down to run. You're feeling the momentum come back. But ultimately when they got into that bullpen, it was just lights out. And that was you know, when you can't get on base, you don't touch base. Fourteen batters after that home run do not touch base? That is That just goes to show what kind of bullpen you have.
Speaker 5: I was worried that, you know, Webb had these the knat issues earlier in the year, put him on the shelf ro and he tried to pitch through it for I don't know how long, but finally they put him on the injured list, and I don't know if you ever got fully healthy. He got healthy enough where he's able to start pitching again, but man, I don't remember seeing him missed by that much to start walking guys with the base load of hitting guys.
Speaker 6: You hit two different guys. I was just a little worried.
Speaker 5: About how I'd be anxious to hear your take on a hobby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't see anything physically. I thought more than anything, it was more the mechanics of it.
Speaker 4: His rotation.
Speaker 3: He was getting really rotational, and I think when we were kind of sitting there watching the game, they really took away the change up. They were really making sure that they were on that pitch. And once he was executing some good ones, but they were almost a misfire on the change up.
Speaker 4: So then he had to.
Speaker 3: Start incorporating the slider or the sweeper and that cutter up to try to get him off bounce. I think they told him going into this game, he's going to go fastball, change up, fastball, change up. Sit on that outspeed, you'll get one. And the Red Sox jumped on top of it.
Speaker 7: And how often do you see what we saw with Web where he hits two batters and walks two batters in the same ina. So that's what John and I were kind of looking at each other, going this, something seems off, and you know, who knows what it was?
Speaker 1: But I also thought he made a good point during that inning live about the pitch clock. And you know, the pitchclock's been in play for a long time now, it's not like it's brand new. But when you have an inning that's spiraling, there's nowhere to hide. Like the pitch clock is rolling, you can't just take a walk and kill some time and maybe get a breather. And it was like a downhill effect in that inning, I thought, and I mean it's sort of true. In the era of the pitch clock, it can be harder to cut off that momentum.
Speaker 5: So I mean, maybe Contraras hitting that change up almost up into New Hampshire. And because then after that somebody else had a change it up too, was it Rutchman? Maybe the and he collaborate it, But so maybe that was it that got into his head a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's certainly part of it. I mean, we got to understand that Webby is Webby's averaging ninety one to seven on his fastball, So it's not a guy that he's just gonna throw fastballs by you. He's going to rely on his command and his control and his ability to get you outside. He always tests your discipline as to what your zone is and how can I get you out of your zone. The Red Sox, I just think came in with a good game plan and they kind of they shrunk the strike zone on him. Losing the challenges early didn't help. And so when you're facing some of these power guys, especially Contraras, he's been hit twenty three times. I forgot the number twenty one times, and he's going to be on top of the plate, so you have to keep him on us, so any mistake you make in there. He was like, all right, I think I set him up. Let me throw the change up. The change up stays in that inner third turns and like you said, he hits it really well.
Speaker 4: I like it does rattle you. And talking about the pitch clock, it is a deal. You could see that he was.
Speaker 3: He took his hat off and he started playing with his the pitch calm. Whether there was an issue or not. You know, he was trying to catch his own breath. And that's where I'm surprised a catcher meeting didn't happen or anything like that to really slow him down. We had some meetings available, but ultimately he's he's the horse for a reason. He probably was telling Kavanaugh like, don't even bother coming out of here.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Probably it's just how he is.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately it wasn't his night, and I think he had if he could do it again tomorrow, he would.
Speaker 4: He just it's just not Baseball's just not built like that.
Speaker 5: I was a little worried he because he was creating a way to get a little bit of a breather there with that PitchCom thing. But I didn't see the umpire doing anything. The clock kept going down, and then all of a sudden when he went back up in the mountain, it was down to like eleven seconds or whatever, and then all of a sudden the clock reset to eighteen seconds. Where I go, Oh, so I guess to play an umpire gave him a little extra time at that point. But so a veteran moved there anyway to get a little bit small but he could have gotten a lot longer one and somebody just ran out to the to the mound.
Speaker 6: For a little bit.
Speaker 7: If there's ever a time to use it, that was that inning.
Speaker 2: He used them up.
Speaker 7: But if you have to, because things are going weird quickly with your best pitcher. And yeah, you should not take any home with you, that's for sure, especially when you have a bad ending like that.
Speaker 2: They had that theory with the challenges tonight.
Speaker 1: Abs challenges, manager, challenge, use them all, don't take any home, burn them all.
Speaker 6: Early, use them all on the third inning.
Speaker 7: Yeah everything, abs man, everything, Just get rid of them.
Speaker 6: And see what happened.
Speaker 1: You know, Look, it's too bad because you know, it's it's so fun to be here.
Speaker 2: We only get to come here every other year.
Speaker 1: And the Devers stuff was kind of incredible and and Gilbert Endeavors together.
Speaker 2: I mean that that was one.
Speaker 1: Of the more impressive moments in the last couple months for the Giants, those two swings against Sonny Gray. So it's not like the Giants went down without a fight tonight, that's true.
Speaker 5: And and I'm happy for Devers. I don't know what all was going through his head, but it's all those years and all those I mean, I'm sure he had a lot of great memories here, but and then it hits one. So because this is not a game where you can if you're trying too hard and you want to do something too badly. And I loved the comment they made before the game about it at the press conference.
Speaker 6: So, so, are you hoping to hit a home run?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 6: Would that be a goal for you?
Speaker 5: He's just I'm I'm missing pitches that I should be hitting all the time.
Speaker 6: I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm just trying to help the team win. I'm I'm just hoping this some time to soon started hitting the pitches I was supposed to hit, So I thought that was a cool.
Speaker 6: Way to handle it.
Speaker 2: It was, and he hit one.
Speaker 7: So for you guys that were here, what was cooler the Yeas home run or the Devor's home run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely paired him up. We talked about it over It was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It was there was a lot going on that weekend and then that that was cool in its own way.
Speaker 2: But I thought.
Speaker 1: Tonight because of the booze and then watching the Giants dug out how they reacted when Devs hit that one. I mean, it tells you they do care about this guy a lot, and I think it hurt everybody. I mean it shocked me. I knew some booze were coming, and they bowed the hell out of him as first at bat for a guy who was one of the great players here. He was pretty good here.
Speaker 2: He was really good here. So I got pretty juiced over the dev so run personally, I did.
Speaker 4: I told you that's that's your own fault. You should. I know, they hit everybody here if you're not.
Speaker 7: Wearing a hobby. When you came back here and pitched, did they bow you?
Speaker 4: They boomed me every single time I walk on that field.
Speaker 7: I thought I heard some of that before.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's we all know that.
Speaker 3: But you know they they gave him his flowers, but again, he's not wearing the uniform anymore, so they're gonna boo him.
Speaker 6: Should have known, my brother should.
Speaker 4: Have given you the heads up.
Speaker 1: Failed by him. Okay, we'll pick players when we come back. Okay, it's a post game brad Park two. We're gonna pick players. H Glenn, why don't you lead a sally?
Speaker 7: Okay, you know what, I don't want to be too obvious. I'm gonna take Drew Gilbert. You know, big home run, first pitch of the game, he hits it, hard to do on the right field line. A couple of hits for him, and listen, I think we've all looked at Drew Gilbert as the years going on and said, you know, is he a regular? Is he a fourth outfield is he a fifth outfielder? We don't know yet, but what we've seen is a lot of offensive progress from Gilbert. He looks a lot better. At bats are better. He's starting to grind a little bit his at bats, and now he's starting to hit the ball hard, and he's starting to hit the ball on the ballpark and you do it here in this environment. I thought it was a pretty good performance by Drew Gilbert. So he's my guy.
Speaker 6: That's a good call.
Speaker 2: Totally agree.
Speaker 1: He has definitely taken advantage of opportunity. That's what you want these young guys to do. He's doing it probably more than anybody right now of the guys who are getting a chance to play.
Speaker 7: And a little maybe a little uh, I don't know if this is the right word, but little attitude change. I think he's a little less collegiate and a little more professional, and I think it shows.
Speaker 2: A little bit tone down.
Speaker 1: But you can play hard and play tough and play hard nosed and still kind of maybe keep your motions in check. I think Tony's talked to us about that with him, like don't get too high, don't get too juiced out there. You channel it in a positive way. So good pick, Thank you, it's good call John who.
Speaker 5: You got well because I talked to him before the game about whether he'd ever played here before, Christian Kosts, I had forgotten he had been with the Red Sox for a while, but he never played here, he said. The whole coaching staff, all these coaches who are here now. After the they reworked everything and fired Alex Korra. He played with all those coaches in the minor leagues when he was here. The only time he ever played here before, and he didn't play. It was kind of a showcase for everybody in the Cape Cod League, the college the great College league. That did kind of a showcase here. And I said, well, did you hit one over the wall and left? He says, yeah, And I wanted to hit one over the wall. I was trying to hit one over the wall, and then I did, and then one of the coaches said, what are you doing.
Speaker 6: Don't do that. Don't be an idiot. That's not your game. Don't do that. Stop doing that.
Speaker 5: And he said, but I hit won, and I wasn't gonna let that opportunity to go by, so but I think he was. He was just as excited, and I probably Gilbert was as well. But uh, to finally play here and against all these guys that he knew so well from the being in the minor leagues.
Speaker 6: With them, and I thought he had a heck of a game.
Speaker 5: So swum the bad as well as anybody in the lineup today and had a really nice game at third base too. So Christian cost of my guy, feel good for him.
Speaker 2: He was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he had a Michael Angelo teenager to the glove mutant ninja turtle?
Speaker 6: Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: I almost I did WI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a long time agobble players weekend.
Speaker 2: He had a glove out there with.
Speaker 4: Some personality with the nunchucks.
Speaker 2: Good Michael Angelo, hobby who you got?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with raver Sam Martin. I think when I look at what he's been able to do, I know the stuff's not overpowering. And in today's game, when you see so many guys with big arms and kind of do those things. Ultimately, your job in the bullpen you gotta throw strikes and you got to try to get people out. And I think the way he was used today, the way he's been used the last couple of times, I think it's the right spot. Form the pocket right after the starter. If you got to get a couple of innings out of a guy, he's the guy's gonna most of the time he throwing strikes and he's gonna keep the ball down in the zone. He's gonna get you a lot of contact. He's not a big punch out guy, but it's a guy that can kind of settle it down to get your bridge. Be a bridge guy in the future to the bullpen the way it's currently constructed. That's his best role right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah good, This whole thing could have gotten out of control right now as soon as he came in.
Speaker 6: So I think he did a heck of a job.
Speaker 2: Great guy, Webbo's him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he held momentum in the Giants, dugout for a little bit.
Speaker 2: In he did good.
Speaker 1: Pick Well, then I'm gonna take Devers. Nobody took Devers, so I'm going with Raffi. He's not a very introspective guy. He doesn't like talking about himself, he doesn't express his emotions. He just wants to play ball, doesn't want to do a lot of talking, but I guarantee you he'll never forget that ever like that, and that was a meaningful moment for him.
Speaker 2: So good for Raffi Devers.
Speaker 5: And he went deep to put him right back in the game against one of the guys who's been the best in baseball this year. He won the sixteenth game tonight, Sonny Gray.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty good, pretty good.
Speaker 2: Took on the big part of Fenway. I liked those home runs.
Speaker 6: Not easy.
Speaker 5: I've seen really high fly balls, and you played here, Hobby, but I've seen high fly balls at lend Out just sometimes get pushed by the wind. A little harder to hit a line drive that still clears that eighteen foot high wall out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's twenty five degree launch angle. I mean, he's we talked about it. When he hits them. He's more of a line drive, low line drive home run guy. He's not majestic shot home run guys. So that was fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the majestic. We left that to Wilson Contreras.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, that was maestic.
Speaker 2: Ooh boy, wow.
Speaker 7: Where the New Hampshire. I'm not great geographically on New Hampshire. With that f be appropriate. Yeah, direction.
Speaker 6: I think it may be landing in the Manchester anytime now, so.
Speaker 2: It's a little early for the Fall Foliage tour. But he Be's man got ahead start.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you were looking down and you just heard the sound, you would say, that's four fifty Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 6: One hundred and sixteen miles an hour.
Speaker 2: What's on deck? Sponsor by your California four dealers.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, giants will try to regroup, and I mean, you know, learning experience is for all these young guys play.
Speaker 2: Tidwell gets the.
Speaker 1: Ball tomorrow, this place will be rocking again. It'll be a Saturday night. The lights are on. They're driving for the playoffs. That's if you want to learn and be thrown into the mix.
Speaker 2: It's as good as it gets for Tidwell tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Two things, two words. Throw strikes. The kid just has to throw strikes because the stuff is good. We saw him in Texas. He threw strikes. He was pretty good. We've seen him at home last outing all over the place. If he's going to be successful at the big league level, he's gotta be near the strike zone because the stuff is pretty good.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, and I think Patrick Sanderbal wobbled bad on his last outing.
Speaker 4: There's a chance.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's you know, he's still a lefty pitching against the Giants, and that's so far that's been a good luck charm. But it's a guy that's not coming off of a of a high at a start. So if you can get on them early, you might have a chance.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, bring him on. He's got no idea.
Speaker 1: What's coming tomorrow the Giants and I'm leaving. I hate to miss the last two games of this series, but I'm I'm.
Speaker 6: Going to national man.
Speaker 2: The nation needs a lot more of me. Not disagree, David, but I'll be watching and listening to you guys.
Speaker 6: NBC doesn't agree with it.
Speaker 2: They don't agree with that. But have fun at Fenway for the next two days.
Speaker 1: What's on Deck sponsored by your California four dealers in the legendary four f one to fifty truck. Visit by Ford Now dot com today to find yours. All right, John, I'll have the highlights right after this