Speaker 1: As you were listening to v Sports Leader in mid days, here is Larry Krueger.
Speaker 2: Well, we keep things rolling on a Friday, Larry Krueger with you. Matt Mayoko is gonna stop by bottom of the hour, and about ten minutes from now, we'll talk a little bit about what the Niners have cooking at training camp. They're eight days in. They're off today a little walk through, not an off day, but an off day for the media, and then Niners back in the practice field for a regular practice day on Saturday. I believe Sunday we might be just talking to the coaches, So we'll talk a little Niners coming up with Matt Mayoko. One thought on the Oakland A's. God, they fired general manager David Force today. He's been there forever a long, long, long time, and he's had opportunities to go other places and he's always passed it up to stay there with Bean in the A's and to get fired like that, it's just now the A's have lost twelve series in a row. I mean that is a ton so the most of the majors this year twelve series in a row, and recently they've just been told fodder. But really you're gonna you're dumping Forced. I guess they love Kotse so much that they can be like, we're not dumping Kotze. We love Katse, so we're just blamed. Forced found that to be a very odd maneuver, though very strange. Forced and being have been together for a long long time. I did not see him on the hot seat. But man, you lose enough, you lose. I mean they dump their pitching coach, you know now they're dumping the GM twelve series in a row. Ouch ouch A's have just been taking it on the chops. One thing that's going on, and we'll talk to talk to Mayoko about, is that the forty nine ers I think are really interesting this year on a lot of fronts. One, you could make an argument that they are old and crepit offensively. Juice is older, CMC is older, Evans is older, Trent Williams is older, Kittle's older. He's probably not gonna play until November. That would be my guess. You got a lot of older players there, but not brock Purdy, and brock Purdy is not old. Brock Purdy, on the other hand, is really heading into the prime of his career. And this is year five for him. He's playing his best football. He's twenty four for twenty eight the last two days, just completing a very high percentage some of these down the field big pass plays where he's throwing the ball forty forty five yards down the field. So can brock Purdy overcome the issues the Niners have on offense? You know, if you understay to me, hey, are the Niners gonna have a good year this year?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I can't really say. I'm in the camp that believes that they've got a lot of good young talent and that their top level guys have not really taken that step backwards. We don't know about Kittle, but the rest of their guys, you know, they're there. They're senior players, they're best players, their oldest players. The trans The Kittles are the trans, the Bosas, the CMCs, the Brendles, the green Laws, the Warners, you know, Bosa, Trent, all of them. They don't they haven't taken that I can tell from watching practice. They haven't taken a dramatic step backwards. It's not like they're regress significantly. So that was like one of the big questions how much would the Niners core regress? But there is this like there's definitely two distinct camps. There's like the people that are like, yeah, it's a pretty good football team, Kyle Shanahan, Rock Purdy, a lot of good talent, all three, you know, all three phases of the game. They've got some ability here and they're a super Bowl contender. And then other people are like, no, no, they're old, and you know, they're too many guys beat up, not enough talent, and they're not a legit super Bowl contender. And I don't know, I don't know. It's like I could listen to an argument either way. I think they are a legitimate super Bowl contender. I think they're gonna they're gonna have a double digit win season. I think the Rams are one of the thinnest Super Bowl favorites I've ever seen. I do think the Rams are going to be disappointing this year. Seattle, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I don't know if you guys have caught any of the hard knocks on on the Seahawks. It's pretty good though it's been already been pretty good. The first episode, Sam Darnald drops the Super Bowl ring out of you know, they lowered it down from the ceiling, and then they looked at their Super Bowl rings, these massive rings. I mean, just a ridiculously gaudy ring. It looks like a baseball. It's besides of a baseball. It's just so huge and there and Donald takes it out and it obviously it's supposed it's not supposed to come flying out. It comes flying out and falls on the ground and he looks over at the camera like, what did that just happen? Did I just drop my ten thousand dollars super Bowl ring or however much at costs? So that was kind of funny. But then there was another scene where Mike McDonald, the head coach of the Seahawks, is talking to Nicky man Worry and he just starts talking about himself and you can just see that Mike McDonald is just an ego maniac of the host order. Now, a lot of people who achieve great things do have high opinions of themselves, but I mean still, I mean he's talking to Nicky man Worry and he's like, you know, people think I'm one way and they're completely wrong about me. I'm not that way. And it's like, you know when somebody starts talking about themselves and you're like, you just you're looking for the ripcord and you're like, let me get the hell out of here. You know, you're standing in a room and all of a sudden, somebody starts talking about their beliefs, their philosophy, them themselves and well what I do, And all of sudden you're like, dude, I can't get out of here fast enough. That's where that was Nicky man Worri. It's like he's having a conversation with the head coach. Coach is like, you know, people think I'm one way, but I'm really nothing like the way they think. And you can see Nicky man Worry looks at McDonald like you're so full of yourself, you ego maniac. And he's like, all right, coach, I gotta go see you. But yeah, Mike McDonald, he's a great coach. He's got a great defensive coach and right now he's got the true upper hand on Kyle Shanahan head to head. But man, watching that hard knocks. I mean, he just comes across like the most arrogant guy of all time. They think I'm this way, but I'm really quite quite a bit different. Also, before we take a time out, Mike Sando came out with his quarterback tears. It's amazing. No matter what Mahomes does, he's still at the top of the tier. It's like he didn't play well last year. Now he's hurt, but he's still number one. Mahomes, Alan, Stafford, and Burrow. That's the top tier party. They ranked eleventh overall, which I think is about right. If you said, hey, what's brock Purty, I would say he's a top ten NFL quarterback, and I would say it with my chest out. But to put him eleven, it's not a disaster. They've got Lamar Jackson, Okay, I'll put that in front of him. Herbert Okay, but Herbert doesn't win in the playoffs, and he's five hundred. Prescott's better than Perty, I think not Drake May one year suddenly he's better than Perty. Jared Goff's better than Purty. Perty beat him in the playoffs. Jordan loves better than Perty. He beat him in the playoffs. He's tied with Kayleb Williams. He beat him head dead. The reality is it's probably in whatever order. It's Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes, Matthew Stafford, Lamar Jackson. Those are the top five quarterbacks in football. If you want to throw Herbert on just the ridiculous talent that he has, or Drake may Off of one year, you know, six seven on the list, fine, but then I would have brock Perty in front of Caleb, in front of Love, in front of Golf, in front of may in front of Prescott. I can. I'll give you Herbert if you want Herbert. Maybe I'd even give you Jayden Daniels, might even give you a Baker Mayfield on the right day. But Brock's a top ten quarterback. I think that if you want to say what where, what can you say definitively? You can say, definitively, brock Perty is an in the NFL. It's a top ten quarterback. All right. You know who's a top ten Niner? Beat writer Matt Mayoko, and he's going to join us next on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: As you were listening to V Sports Leader middays, here is Larry Krueger.
Speaker 2: Well, we keep things moving on a Friday, joining us on the UMA guest line. Matt Mayoko does a great job covering the Niners for NBC Sports Bay Area, and he's on the UMA guest line to talk a little bit about the Niners. Eight days into training camp. Matt, how are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm doing great, enjoying this Friday. Don't have to get in my car and drive to Santa Clara. So we be back at it on Saturday and Sunday when the traffic's a little bit lighter. But no, everything's everything's going well. We're both enjoying camp.
Speaker 2: Are we. Oh yeah, it's always it's always enjoyable. Now you are the pro who has the big camp hat. I did buy a big camp hat. I just haven't been able to really. It's like I can't. I don't. I feel like I can't wear it. I you know, I'm wearing baseball hats. I've got other hats because I just don't. I can't wear I bought like a World Cup sombrero, and it's just I don't know. I feel like it's gonna be too big of a statement to wear it out there. So I've kind of I have it, but I haven't actually busted it out yet.
Speaker 3: I even saw you wearing a backwards hat the other day. Yes, I was, yeah, I mean you look like you know, you got the baggy shorts, you got the the backwards hat. You're you're appealing to the young crowd. Craig, there you.
Speaker 2: Go, thank you, thank you. Yes. So then I don't get you know, people donating to my channel saying calling me unk. I'm getting a lot of a lot of unk lately. You know what I wanted to ask you about, Raheem Morris, because Jaden Dugger, the rookie from Louisiana, is a very unique prospect. He was he's very young, he's the youngest guy on the team. He's long, he's rangy thirty five inch arms. But he was running with the first team defense this week, and that kind of surprised me. Obviously it's a very positive sign. But then we kind of heard from Drake Greenlaw, the Fever linebacker. He mentioned the Fever linebacker, and then Raheem's talking about, you know, kind of that hybrid player who's a kind of a star player, or he used the word a spinner outside edge defender who can cover the slot receiver and tackle the running back and rush the pastor. And I feel like this is kind of a new frontier here. What are you expecting. Do you think Jadan Dugger is kind of a one of one or does he fit into a category with guys like Nick Martin and Larry Worth. I mean, it is interesting. It's a whole new kind of wrinkle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's completely different than those guys. And you know, I do want to get Raheem at some point to explain and maybe the next time he's up there, you know, kind of explain maybe the job descriptions of those different titles. But the way I see it is, you know, they're certainly doing whether it's experimenting or whether it's this is what we're doing. I think it'll be a little bit of both here in training camp and certainly in the joint practices and everything else. But I think Jaden Dougger's background makes him uniquely qualified for what the forty nine ers are looking for as they deploy more of those five man fronts. You know, he's got the size, he's got the length, he's got the athleticism, he's got the versatility. He played safety at Georgetown, he played edge at Louisiana Lafayette, then he played stack linebacker Louisiana Lafayette. So he's done a little bit of everything. And when you have a five man line and if they're only defensive lineman, there's going to be some shortcomings because quite obviously, on passing situations, not all five guys are going to be rushing on the same play, So there will be times when that happens, but there'll be a lot of dropping and trying to create confusion for the offensive line and for the quarterback. And so Doug gives them a guy that is, you know, would be I think by definition, their best cover guy dropping into coverage, but he also has the pass rush skills to do that as well as playing the run and everything else. So I think for what the forty nine ers are looking at, I think that makes a lot more sense than saying, have Luke Gifford as the third linebacker or you know the linebacker slash d n that hybrid guy who's you know, lines up on the at the line of scrimmage. So I do think that early on, even when they drafted him, he kind of thought like, Okay, how exactly does he fit? And now as we watch practice two weeks into practice, now we can see like, Okay, that makes a lot of sense why they would take him and how they can find a way to get him on the field right away.
Speaker 2: Matt, I've seen reports of twenty guy, the ninety man camp roster dinged up. Some of these guys are it's more precautionary. I think that if there was a game, they probably would be playing. But still it's a lot of injured guys. Chris Furster was asked the question the other day at the presser, Hey, are the joint practices with the Titans you know in jeopardy? And he made it seem like absolutely, not that it's like a full go, But then the way he kind of stated it, it almost sounded like, you know, maybe like he's obviously it's not his call directly, but he is kind of the messenger at this point. Do you do you think that the Tennessee joint practice is is it up in the air. Do you think it's a slam dunk that it's gonna happen, or do you think.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I would think that they're gonna happen. It's gonna happen. Uh, but we'll see. I mean, I'm gonna stake my you know my claim on that one, but you know, for the Titans, they would want to know. I mean, if if we were to happen, I think they would have or if it wasn't gonna happen, I would think that they would have already canceled it because the Titans aren't going to be coming out here. What would that be three days early for a preseason game, So you know, they have to kind of figure out what they're going to do. If you know, they're not going to fly out on a Monday to practice on Tuesday in Santa Clara and then the game's on Thursday, so that's when practice is scheduled to happen. The joint practice would be on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm less alarmed by the actual reality of the injuries during training camp than just putting out the list every day. Of these are the guys who aren't practicing.
Speaker 1: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: One injury that's the big one, and I think it's far and away the biggest one. And I don't even know if there's a number two injury that would be a reason for concern. It's Ricky Pearsall. Why because he's out for the season. He's not gonna play this season, but every other injury. Maybe next on the list would probably be Venerian Low, the swing tackle who got injured on the very first day of practice and has a high ankle sprain, so that's usually a four to six week injury. But I don't know that any of the other injuries. Maybe Jacob Cowing with the hip fluxuer, I don't know. I mean, I don't know that any of these are at all concerning as it relates to impacting the regular season. You know, the adductor injury of Kylon Black, it depends on how serious that is. Keon White has the same injury, at least described the same way, the adductor, which is basically growing. But I really see him out there, already see him out there working. I don't think the Mike Evans thing is any big deal. I don't think Christian Kirk at this point is a big deal because it looks like he's running pretty well. Stribbling is already back. So you know, the one that I thought, oh, that could be a bad one was Grayson Halton. You know, a bone bruise of the knee. We've seen that turn into something bad. But he's already back and making an impact felt. So I don't see the injury situation. I know it's you know, people love to talk about it because of where that practice facility is located and everything else in the history, but I don't at this point. Again, I mean, things can change, but at this point, I don't see the forty nine ers being that adversely impacted from by injuries other than Pearsaw. I mean, I look around the league and I see, you know, Jayalen Walker with the Falcons out for the year, Nick Scorton out for the year, the other the draft pick for the Panthers as well, Chris Brasel out for the year. So and the New York Giants lost their seventeen games starting nose tackle out for the year. So I don't see. To me, the bigger concern is when's Kittle coming back? When's Mikel Williams coming back off the pup list from injuries last year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I think you're right, and we don't know the answer to those questions quite yet. Robert Jones suddenly, out of nowhere, went from the backup to Connor Colby at left guard to the starter at left guard, with Colby running with the twos and threes and running some reps at right guard. Do you think this is a momentary thing. I mean, Barrows had written a piece that Colby had commandeered this job, and it's almost like the Niners said, hey, no, he has it, you know, we Jones has got to say some say here too. It's like, literally, after that story hit the press, it's like Jones was inserted as the starter at left guard. Do you think Jones is going to be the starter at left guard or do you think it's he's the starter for the moment?
Speaker 3: I would I would think it's still Connor Colby. But that was interesting I did early in training camp. I asked Chris Firster, you know, is it possible that there's no competition? You know, is it possible because open competition implies that one guy's running with the ones one day, the next day or maybe even later in the same practice, the other guy's running with the ones, and they have a competition. And it appeared to me that if Colby Kolby was just going to stay in that job as long as he gave the forty nine ers no reason to replace him. First also said that, well, yeah, we'll end up going with the best guy. But if the best guy is Connor Colby from start to finish, then then what you said is true. There won't be any kind of back and forth. Let's have this guy work with the one. So it was a little bit surprising, and to me it's an indication that whatever they're looking at behind the scenes, film study, everything else, player evaluation looks to me like it means that it's not a fait a company that Connor Colby is the starter. I don't know that Robert Jones had a great day of practice yesterday when he was running with the Ones, so I would still kind of expect Colby to be that. But I think it's also probably a reason for concern that they felt the need to put somebody else in there, because ideally you'd want your five starting guys to just line up day one and be that way, no deviations at all through the end of the season, and that certainly wasn't the case. So certainly be watching during practice on Saturday to see who's out there with the Ones.
Speaker 2: Two quick hitters, will Pauling, Junior Berg and Jordan Watkins. All these guys to me look like they're outshining Jacob Cowing Bergins really surprised me. But I while Pat Pauling is coming on, he looks very solid catching punts. Watkins looks bigger, stronger, faster. Do you see the same thing I'm seeing that. It seems like Cowing is falling behind these other receivers.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say falling behind the other receivers, but his ticket is not as a receiver. I mean, what's the same way that that Sky Moore, you know, was a factor for the forty hours last year. He was a factor without ever really stepping on the field and playing offense. So Pauling is interesting. He would be kind of a guy that could come out of the out of the shadows and win that job. To meet Jordan Watkins seems a little less comfortable handling punts. That's the key. Whoever is the sure handed, the most reliable, the most comfortable handling punts is going to be one of the receivers on the team and one of the guys who's going to have a uniform on game days. So I still think it's it's Cowing. However, this hip flexer that we just talked about, if that keeps him out a period of time, then that does open the door for somebody else, But I would agree as far as you know plays being made as a wide receiver Cowing, it hasn't been able to you know, last year he had a lot of momentum going into camp and got injured. This year, you know, the ford AMers expected him to kind of step in where he left off last year before he missed the entire season, and I don't know that that's happened. So there is definitely a lot of gray area when it comes to how that wide receiver depth chart will look and how the punt return aspect will really impact their final decision, because it certainly looks like Deebo Samuel is going to be the kickoff but now who's going to be the plan returner.
Speaker 2: Matt Mayoko with us on the Yuma Guest Line, covers the Niners for NBC Sports Bay Area and does an amazing job. Mattie will let you go, but today I'd be remiss if I didn't ask you one about our our friend, our our fallen friend, the Great Late Great Dwight Clark. Today is August seventh. Today is my twenty seventh wedding anniversary, but it is also Dwight Clark day. And you know, I grew up as a kid in this city. You know, I was eleven when he scored that touchdown in the corner of the end zone, and he was my idol. And then he became a friend of mine and we had a chance to go golf a few times and do some events, and I miss him terribly. I thought he was one of my favorite Niners, and then when I got to know him, he became my favorite Niner. You got to spend a lot of time with him and did a lot of great things with d C before he passed, and got a chance to visit with him. Just your recollections of Dwight Clark before we let you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I remember watching the catch on my ouch in the in northern California and little community Richfield, where we could only get two channels at the time, And to get to know him as you did. The private thing that strikes me is it was the most important play in forty nine Ers history and one of the most impactful plays in NFL history, And for it to happen to the organization, for him to be the author of that play. He always joked, you know, to Joe Montana. They called it the catch, not the throw for it for it to be him. He was the perfect person for that because of how he embraced it and how he made every fan who came up to him feel special when they would ask him about the play or whatever. He acted like it was always the first time anybody had ever come up to him and asked about that. And so I remember one time going, man, does it ever? I'm sure we were someplace and two or three people came up to him separately and they walked away, and I said, does that ever get tiring for you to talk about that? And he just stopped dead in his tracks and he looked at me and he goes, would you ever get tired about talking about that play? And I'm like, you're absolutely not. I wouldn't get tired, and he goes, exactly. So he really embraced it, and he was the perfect guy to be the man who made the play that changed the organization.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What a kind soul he was, and man, I miss him. I miss him a lot. Matty. Great stuff. Man, You always doing an incredible stuff. Incredible job. We love your segments on The Leader. Thanks for jumping on all right, kurug thanks so much. I'll see tomorrow. Yep, see tomorrow, see you down there. Matt Mayoko, NBC Sports Bay Area. He's as good as any covering this team, that's for sure. All Right, let's do this. Let's take a time out. We'll come back with more. As we say goodbye to our front two day fill in John Lunn takes over this time slot Monday at ten. I'm the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: As you were listening to V Sports Leader in middays. Here is Larry Krueger.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're coming down the home stretch. I hope everybody's enjoyed the last four hours. I know I have hope you guys have. That's gonna do it for us today. Thanks to Chips McCarthy for producing the great John Curly was our booker today and man, he booked up a storm. I told Curly off the air, I'm like, man, I couldn't have screwed that up, even if you know, if I tried, the way you booked that thing. Thanks to our guest John Lund, Pablo Sandoval, man, I love talking to the Panda, Mark Adams, Andrew Baggerley, Matt Mioko, George Kantos. When I did the show with Tolbert. Sometimes Tolbert would throw in like names of people that we hadn't talked to. It's like, I would like to thank this guy. It's like, do we talk to that guy? Uh, Tommy t But that is gonna do it us and thanks to Chips, thanks to thanks to to Kyle Chung who helped yesterday, and of course John Curley. John Curley outstanding one of the best in the biz. And we're really excited to work with Curly the last couple of days. You know, it's never easy to jump in on another time slot. It's never easy with the circumstances like this. But you know what, you know you if you like doing this for a living, you know you gottas. There's an old saying that radio begins when everything that you plan to do fails. And I'm gonna take some calls. No, you're not the guest lines down. I'm gonna book this guest. Oh he had to go somewhere, he's sick, he can't he's not gonna make it. Oh, well, now what do I do? Now? You gotta go make you gotta earn your bones, you gonna you gotta make go make that money and be a pro. But yeah, it was a pleasure sitting in for the last two days. I know this. There's a lot of people that have mixed feelings, but you know, and I understand and that believe me, we all do it the leader we do. We absolutely understand the audience and who's our who our listeners are, and how much so many of the personalities mean to the people who listen to the station, and so I do we all understand. But all I would say is, you know, John Lunn starts Monday at ten, and give him a shot because he's really really good and he's gonna entertain you guys and doing fantastic job doing this four hour deal every day by himself. And I'm sure he'll he'll hit it out of the park because that's what he does and he's just you know, one of the one of the best pros I've met since I've been doing this is the great John Lund. Really looking forward to this weekend Giants and Tigers. Brew Baker is the opener tonight for Houser Land and Roupe against Jackson Job tomorrow night, and we'll be out there for that and then Logan Webb one oh five Sunday against Troy Melton. Melton's really good seven and one with a one fifty eight ra. You know, if you're there to see the opposition, this Tigers outfielder Max Clark is definitely worth watching. Check him out. Forty nine ers can do off today or they had to don a walk through today, but they'll be back on the practice field tomorrow. I'll be back down there tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday. I believe we're gonna meet with the offensive and defensive coaches. So we got more coming from forty nine er camp. And make sure that you listen all next week because every night at six o'clock we have Niners Nightly, and when there's Giants baseball or something going on on six p' eighty, you'll catch it on the CAMBR YouTube channel every night. So listen for me every night Niners Nightly six to seven o'clock, either on the radio or if you don't hear it on the radio, go to the CAMBR YouTube channel and we'll be doing the show via the YouTube channel. Interesting stuff talking to Matt about you know, the forty nine er situation. There there's a this is a moving you know, evolving situation as far as the roster, and you know Jacob Cowing, I personally don't think Jacob Cowing is gonna make it, don't. I don't see it. I really don't. Will Pauling catches the punts better, Junior Bergen catches the punts better. Watkins is stronger, faster, bigger. Bergen and Will Pauling and Watkins are all made more plays than Cowing. So I kind of think Cowing, even though he's got the punt return ability, I don't know. Something tells me the Cowing maybe on the outside. Looking in. The Robert Jones Connor Colby competition at left guard suddenly got juicy. It looked like it was gonna be Colby's job, and now Robert Jones is the starter, and we'll see where that goes. To me, the biggest thing that you're gonna notice in the preseason with the forty nine ers is all the additional speed at wide receiver. I mean Dejon's stripling, you know Jordan Watkins, you know Wesley Grimes, Will Pauling. They're all sub four for forty guys, so there's a lot more speed. I didn't ask Maddie about Ogbo Acaranquo, but he really looks like he can help their past rest quite a bit as well. And then you know, talking to Matt there about you know this this new Raheem Morris wrinkle to their you know, the Niners have the same D line coach, and so they they're gonna do a lot of wide nine, but they want to be more multiple on their coverage front, on their coverages and their fronts. And I think they're gonna see Raheem use some linebackers as defensive lineman and walk a linebacker up and and take that from like a four to three, you know, look to you know, a five man surface and a five man front and just kind of make quarterbacks pause a little bit. And we'll get more out of Raheem as he talks more about you know, this star position or this this spinner position that Bruce Irvin was so good at, which is kind of a combo. It's a it's basically one player that can you know, cover the receiver and then that same player can make tackles in the box against the running back, and then that same player can out of a two point stance rush the quarterback and put some heat on the quarterback and move him off his spot. And you know, I think Raheem's going to be really interesting to watch. How does he utilize Jaden Dugger, How does he utilize Larry Worth the third? Nick Martin? Does he find players that can play these hybrid roles? And what is that looking like? So anyway looking that's what I'm looking forward to seeing in the weeks ahead. Forty nine er camp wise, that's going to do it for us. Adam Copeland and Derek Poppa, they're at fifty eight Social outside the ballpark getting you're ready for the Giants and the Tigers Game one of three. Enjoy the fellas they are next. Thanks to everybody behind the scenes. We'll see you later on these Sports Leader