Speaker 1: Now back to dirty work with Copes and d Pop on one oh four five FM and six eighty Am The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Starting work on a Thursday afternoon, Adam Copelandepop, Kyle Horr hanging out with us today. We're being joined on the UMA guest line by Susan Selester. She covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicles. Susan is sponsored by Serfside. It's not a Seltzer, it's Surfside, proud partner.
Speaker 3: Of the Giants. We do it with Susan each and every week.
Speaker 2: And Susan we were just talking before he came on, saying, I don't think this is a day where we really talked much about what's happening on the field for the Giants. In the last couple of days, with all the news between cambr changes and Mike Kruco on his own terms announcing his retirement. Today, we kind of thought this a better subject to talk about with you. Somebody who's known both of these guys and even Greg Silver, three of these guys and been around the Bay area media scene for so long. Susan, how are you today on a Thursday afternoon?
Speaker 4: Hi, Susan, that's great, Hi guys. Yeah, I was once an on the columnist even like I've got a and as you you probably know, I did Stanford baseball and football right now, so I'm I feel very strongly about many of these things, but especially Kruko. You know, Kruko is near and dear to all Giants fans, I mean all baseball fans, like some of the response I'm hearing from people in other parts of the country who are like, you know, I'm a fan of this team, but I try to listen to Kruk and Kite because they're so great, which of course, of course they are. And everyone knows what Crook's been going through physically. It is, it is not it's so commendable what he's been doing, and he would never say it ever, he'd never complain. He's got the best attitude. He has upbeat at all times. But it is a massive effort for him to have been doing games the way he's been doing, especially when he's coming to the ballpark, and I you know that is he wants to be doing this. He would never retire early. And my you know, I talked to him briefly today and obviously I talked to to Duanne at length. But when I talked to Kruk, I said, you know, Dwayne and I were kind of kicking around, like there's all these kind of fill in analysts, and obviously somebody is going to wind up being kind of the primary partner, we would assume, and there's many good choices. But I was like, you know, could you maybe be a guy that would be an occasional fill in, like there's that happen sometimes, or even just come like guests turn inning or two. And he said, oh, hell yeah, Well okay, you know this is the happiest thing I've been all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that that's very cool. I mean I remember when Lon Simmons came. I remember as a kid getting to hear Lon Simmons call some games because he would come back periodically and sit in and be there for five or six games of a of a home stand or something, and he would call a couple of innings and he'd be on the post game rap. I mean, that's that's really the beauty of what this is is he can continue to touch people and have impacts on so many different lives. And we've been taking calls all day season about it's really like the voices of summer, the voices of your childhood. I said, I can pinpoint moments in my life and hear Mike Cruco's voice, and I think for jeerations, he's touched people. But really I love broadcasters that one do it in a unique way. They do it absolutely wholeheartedly, with with as most ingenuity as they can or being as genuine as they possibly can. And then also you learn stuff from him, and he's funny, like there's I don't even know which button you'd want to hit on or which topic you'd want to hit on, because you can't even you can't sum it all up into one sentence. Just like he said in his statement, he doesn't think he could sum up how grateful he is for his time to everybody.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh, he's great at everything. You're right, one hundred percent right, And I mean fight, the humor, the warmth, the you know, when you write a story like you know, I talk to a bazillion people when when this news broke and when you write a story about this, like you put out a ton of calls and usually you know you're lucky if you get maybe half the people responding. Everyone people just writ like everyone understands how important Mike Kruco is, but beyond that, everyone loves Mike Krukoder. It's just impossible not to. So he's just special and amazing. And you know what, I don't I don't think that what he's dealing with in body inclusion body mitosis, I don't think it gets enough mentioned, because this is another one where we talk about you got to you know, get rid of cancer. You know that MLB has lots of initiatives about that. There are all the things about als. Look, this isn't This is one where it's not fatal. That this is a vibrant, healthy man with so much to give, and this has made it really you know, it's limited in him the past two years. And now he's got something of an early retirement. Yeah he's seventy four. Sure, that's past you know, regular retirement age. But broadcasters go forever and ever, and that's what we all wanted to see. So yeah, let's let's strike out this body inclusion body mitosis. No.
Speaker 5: Definitely talking to Susan Sluster on the UMA guest line in talking to former players today about this new with my Cruco in your opinions, us and just covering the game of baseball for so long? Now, what do you think makes players respect broadcasters and like, you know, when it comes to my Kruco, obviously he played the game, but you talk to everybody today and everybody got back to you.
Speaker 1: What do you think makes it?
Speaker 5: What do you think makes uh players respect broadcasters and the way that my Cruco has well when it comes to.
Speaker 4: The players specifically, Jeff Kent said, it's his loyalty to the players and his ability to describe players in real terms that make listeners understand their point of view. You know, he is always rushing to give here's what a player might be thinking on this and that, and in a way that makes you understand what they're going through, what their options are, you know, in a in a very human way, you know, just not sort of nuts and bolts that the empathy is so much it comes through, and that's I think the players hear that, they see that they know him. You know, he's even still he's going out on the field and talking to players as often as he can. We see him out there, you know, as he can do it, and I think that goes a long way too. So he's just it's remarkable what he's done.
Speaker 5: Really, No, it has and in a lot of this news, Susan, I know a lot's been made of Krook and Kype get into Cooperstown together with him retiring. Do you think that maybe they would rethink this whole thing, because I think they've been against it, But to get the Ford Sea Frick Award together and Krook and Kype in tandem, you think that could happen.
Speaker 2: Imagine being against that as the hawsers, He's still like, no, there's no chance we're not doing that.
Speaker 4: People in the area have been pushing this idea for quite some time, probably going back maybe you know, close to a decade. They're not on the ballot this year. Sadly, I would love there was one year they were both on the ballot, and I think everybody said at that point like do it, do it, do it, do it, And I don't look okay. I think they're worried about setting your precedent and then you got to put in this pair, and then you got to put in that pair. It doesn't have to be you know, the Hall is running the show. They can make votes essentially whatever, you know, whatever they want. The parameters whatever they want. This I think is a special case and I would love it now. I talked to John Miller, and John Miller said, you know what, I think they both are worthy of their own inclusion and they should be considered separately and go in separately. And I can see that, like don't you know, you don't dilute it or whatever. But it's Crook and Kuype Like it's hard to get away from the idea. They do need to go in together. There. They're almost more than a team. They're like, you don't think of one without the other, You just don't.
Speaker 2: There is something to that that it might be kind of cool if like one of them got in and you got Kruk to do the speech for Kaype or vice versa, like to do the like that's see, that would be pretty sweet, you know what I mean, Like having having one and then the other would also be amazing and funny, probably the funniest. Susan Seleser joins us on the on the UMA guess line. We've been We've been just really sort of forthcoming and true to ourselves, Susan and talking about all these changes that have happened. I said, it's really special to me that crew gets to go out on his own terms, that he gets to put this statement out, that he gets to enjoy these final couple of months of Giants baseball. But we haven't shot away at all from what happened here at a camb Are yesterday. And for many years you were covering the A's and Greg Papa the voice of the A's, and you are Chronicle Live and all that stuff. I just wanted to give you an opportunity, if you'd like one, to comment on any of that or your relationship with Greg over the time you were in Oakland.
Speaker 4: Well, absolutely, I mean Greg Greig is you talk about one of the all time graates that Greg is one of the all time and grades in multiple sports and as good a guy as you'll know, I mean, great to young journalists and loads of fun. You know, when I first started on the A's, maybe the first ten or twelve years, he was still doing the A's broadcasts and the Chronicle didn't have the Sunday paper then when initially, you know, the Examiner used to be the Sunday paper. So I always had Saturdays off on the road. And there is nothing more fun than sitting in the stands and watching a game as a fan with Greg Papa because we had the opportunity and that opportunity that a few times when there wasn't a broadcast or something on Saturday National broadcast or what have you, and like, I learned a lot and it was an awful lot of fun. And he's just you know, he's he's great to be around. So I was sad when he stopped doing the A's games, and I am, this makes me even sadder because we all know what he's going through, we know what he's dealt with. What an absolute warrior he is. I mean, he's just indestructible and the force of will is amazing. Ye, he's an inspiration. I mean, I'm sure he probably would hate to hear somebody say that, but he's really an inspiration for this to happen on the heels of my colleague Grett Branch's incredible story about Greg and what he's been dealing with is just astonishing to me. It's a yeah, I was aghast. Never used that word before, but I was a guest.
Speaker 1: No when it calls for it. And I appreciate all that you said, Susan.
Speaker 5: I have fond memories of that you know, going to the coliseum with my pops and meeting you guys on the beatback then you Michael Urban Pedro Gomez like, I have fond memories, yeah, Murph for a season, yeah, Ryan absolutely yeah, no, so fond memories of that. And thank you all for the kind words. I do want to move over to baseball just real quickly. Buster Posey and his reaction to the trade deadline, just you know, him saying in the press conference or just the the the media zoom that happened after the trade deadline saying that you know, everybody was on the table. We did tell the other teams about that, so you know, we think that a lot of moves were made, but still a lot of guys are still on the roster. Do you think that maybe we could revisit some of you know, the speculation as far as Logo Web or Jung Hulee, like these things could still be on the table in the off season.
Speaker 4: You know, Logan is the one guy that Buster said was not really available. I do believe that, and I think that's probably going to continue to be the case unless they got blown away. I mean, if somebody comes to them with a package that says like, you know, here's two or a top three prospects, maybe you got to consider it. I don't know. I still I think even well, I don't know anybody else probably is a little available Jung who Lee might bring a little bit more because you know, he's got that South Korean market with him too. And the Giants definitely, you know, they value Jungle Lee of course, but they like having you know, an into an important market that they didn't have before.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: And they you know, obviously they sent a ton of executives to South Korea in the off season and this is uh, this does mean something to them. And it's been really fun kind of seeing that whole relationship open up a little bit too, the Jung Hu Jung Hou crew and all of that kind of stuff, and having South Korean reporters following Jung whom in our media corps. That's all been a blast. But yeah, I think, you know, when you talk about kind of the big three contracts, I think will probably be talking about that every dread deadline every off season. It's just going to be awfully hard to move any of those deals because they are big and so you guys have no non trades but I think devs there's I think there was some interest. I think there was a little bit of interest, and some people kick the tires. I just don't think the Giants want to pick up, you know, half of a two hundred million dollars left contract just to move a guy, you know what. I think he's more valuable where he is, even if you're paying him, like, you may as well get something for that amount of money, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, last one for you, Susan.
Speaker 5: Is it fair to say that it's probably not likely that Matt Schaman will return the season.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, And I don't know why you would. I don't think that the circumstances of the Giants are in Like if if they were in some sort of playoff push and there was a chance he could get back with rest and rehab, I know he would do everything he could. I just think that you want to knock this out and if it's you know, we certainly her hope it's not surgical unless that is the way that absolutely fix it, and which guy's great and and you know he's missing it. But if he needs rest and rehab, take all of the time you want and then then he's like Casey Schmidt. Then you have a healthy off season, you can have your full workouts, be one hundred percent ready to go next season. I think you know either way is probably good, but there's just no reason to push it. And plus you can keep seeing all these guys, keep rotating through all these young guys and taking a look at everybody you can. They're going to be constrained a little bit by the potential labor stoppage and maybe not wanting to put guys on the forty man and keep them playing, so we might not see somebody like Parks Harbor as much as we would like to. But they've got a lot of really good options, and some of these young kids are really fun or good stories like Eddie's, Lanard's that's been great, and my gosh, what Besabi's been doing. So I hope people are still paying attention because there's some interesting, fun stuff that will have repercussions in future years going on.
Speaker 2: Susan Sluss and The Voice She Heard covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicles.
Speaker 3: She joined us every week here on Dirty Work. Susan.
Speaker 2: We appreciate the time as always, Thank you so much. Enjoy the rest of the off day and we will talk to you soot.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Susan, fantastic thanks.
Speaker 2: Good stuff there from Susan Selester, Italy came to our four and five ITA eight five sixty seven. Is that I'm gonna call antext Did you ever watch a game in the stands with with your dad and sless No?
Speaker 1: Not, I mean maybe I was so young during that time it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think student started on the beat in nineteen ninety nine with the A's, so you were what you were I was eight years old years old, Yeah, but I remember. I mean like yeah, like me and my dad go to the ballpark, you know, all the time, and you know when he was when he wasn't doing baseball games, Like I remember one of my fondest memories is me and my little brother and him going, uh Father's Day from going from Oracle Park to the Coliseum. We did the double dip of watching the Giants and the Ags and the same day. Yeah, it's fun, but yeah, I have fond memories, dude, of God, him being the A's broadcaster and that crew, like it kind of felt like they raised me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Like I remember Susan Pedro Gomez.
Speaker 3: The legend, and you were like, you grew up with Pedro, didn't you? And his kids?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pedro I said all the time, like Drew Baby sat me all right, pe Man, Yeah that was I think about that a lot lately with my father and his illness. Uh Pedro, Yeah, that that hit me deep. A couple of years ago. I think it was on Super Bowl Sunday. Yeah, it was really suck in years and the Chiefs and but yeah, I've fond memories of my father and Pedro, and I think reading his book, I remember who you are.
Speaker 1: Like, Pedro was about that.
Speaker 5: With everybody, so you know, he connected with everybody that he worked with.
Speaker 1: He and my dad were so close, so close.
Speaker 5: And yeah, when my you know, my dad and my step mom were, you know, having date night, they dropped me out the house and hang out with Pedro and his family.
Speaker 3: Was awesome.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's I mean, the the web you've lived through and it has been woven around you and the connections you've had just from people tied to your dad is pretty incredible. Aightaway, KMBR is number to call in tex I'm gonna do something really quick here Kyle, I'm gonna take Pete's call. Pete, I'm waiting for a long time. Let's do it to get his thoughts in on on kruking kite. But I don't want to wait anymore because he's done and slow, dude, And if you're in slow, you got it some krouk man, Pete.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you waiting on the line. Man, How are you good?
Speaker 6: Love the show.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you man, Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: So I got to go back to Candlestick when Kuiper was doing a Giant's division and he was interviewing Bob Brandley on the field, and I had my young son with me. We went over to get his autographed. There was a crowd there and everybody's going and what do you want Kuiper's autograph for? You know, they're mocking us. So my son yells down to Dwayne. He says, hey, sign my baseball for me, and Kuyper turns around, looks at my son and says, if you can tell me who I am, I'll sign your baseball. So my son says, well, your kite. So he gets the baseball, he signs it, and now of course everybody signed my baseball, sign my baseball. He turns around, he walks off. So fast forward many years later, I'm in downtown San Louis and I run into Kruco at a clothing store that he used to advertise for. And that guy, Mike must have talked to me and my partner for forty five minutes about baseball and he answered every question we asked him. And I relayed that story about Kuiper taking the time to sign my ball, my son's baseball. He goes, you know what, I'm gonna go out to the car. When I get through here, I'm gonna call Dwinnie and I'm going to tell him about that. Well, now, fast forward to last year. Fast forward to last year in twenty twenty five, I go, you know, Kuiper's not going to be around, or Kruko's not going to be around much longer. I'm going to write these guys and relay this to see if they remember. So I type them a letter. I send it to Kuyper, I send it to Kruco. I give him a couple of T shirts, one of can Candlestick and one of the crowd Candlestick. Kruko texts me on my phone and thanks me for the story and bringing back the memories. I saw both those guys play and they're going to be a part of my memories of Candlestick. They're both awesome. So I get a picture from Kyper signed really really awesome, just a great.
Speaker 3: Guy, special stuff.
Speaker 2: They're they're very special guys, Pete. Really, I mean that's and the crazy thing is that what makes me feel special is we all feel so unique. I've got a good KPE story like that too, But you all feel so unique. We all do about these interactions we've had. And what you get to know after hearing all these stories and you guys calling, is they had this impact on so many people and it was so genuine because you can't fake that. As I said on the air, their relationship, the way they relay ball to us, Pete. I love that story because it makes it makes me feel like my story is special too, because we all get to share in those moments.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then when you tune into anybody else, there's nobody compares to.
Speaker 3: No, not even close, not even close. Appreciate I appreciate you waiting, Pete.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, man. Yeah, dude, I was on I was coming back from spring training. I think I told you this. I was coming back from spring training one year. It was like two thousand and four, probably twenty and four or five, and my grandparents were staying with my mama Susie in Arizona. They were going to stay for like the week. I just got to go for the weekend. I had to come back for school. I think I was probably a freshman or sophomore in high school. And they dropped me at the airport, and so I was flying back by myself and I'm in the airport. Is a Sunday afternoon. The Giants had played that day. We went to the game Sunday evening and I hear Dwayne's voice. I hear Kuype's voice, and I'm sitting there. I was like doing math homework in the terminal and I like, here Kype's voice. And I look up and there he is. Dude, He's like sitting like fifteen feet away. Texted my mom, be like, Dwayne Kuiper's right here. She said, go say hi.
Speaker 3: So I went up to me. I don't know what to say. I was like, hey, Kype, I'm a huge fan. I one time. I don't know why said it.
Speaker 2: I said I bought your I bought your rookie card at a card show for twenty five cents. And dude, it was the same card show when I met Jason Schmidt.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. And I asked him, was that movie about Schmid about you? And he said, I's you'r hope not yeah.
Speaker 2: A good line, but I said, I bought a rookie card at a card show for twenty five cents.
Speaker 3: Tell Kype to this and he says.
Speaker 2: Kid, you got ripped off, which is And then I ended up get on the plane.
Speaker 3: He was nice to be on the plane. I ended up sitting next to you.
Speaker 2: The people he was talking to were Jesse Fauppert's like little league, high school baseball charach or someone got anyway talking ball with another guy. That's awesome, A present giant. So that was pretty cool. But everybody's got stories like this, man. Everybody, everybody's got special stuff. An away cambyards, a number to call and the number to text.
Speaker 3: Come on back.
Speaker 2: We can get some more of your calls and your thoughts on my Cruco plus. Richard Realia joins us at four fifty and we got a lot of fun sound to get into a sound swore Cruco. We'll also into a sound score Greg a little bit later. Do we have just like a standard old sound score right too?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, No, we've got some dips, dude. We've got the hardly Danny's double dips with Kyle.
Speaker 3: Harr but close enough.
Speaker 1: That's a mouthful.
Speaker 3: I don't know what we're calling it. H Anyway, we'll take a quick break when we come on back. More of your calls.
Speaker 2: Plus, we gotta tell you on a Thursday head you're spending your weekend, oh, on the dirty work canbr unsponsored BA Area weekend sports calendar.
Speaker 3: It's next on the sports later, oh,