Speaker 1: Joining us on the UMA guest line this segment is Mark Adams from forty nine or web Zone, and I'm super excited to have Mark on in this segment. He is, in my opinion, one of the reasons that Roger Craig is in the Hall of Fame class of twenty twenty six, and he's with us on the Sports Leader Mark.
Speaker 2: How are you, hey, Larry, how's it going?
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's going so good. And I'm just you know, I'm so happy, so happy today. You know. Yes, I'm part of it is that I hit my three team parlay last night in baseball, but that has nothing to do with it. It's really more My happiness has to do with the fact that Roger Craig taking his spot, his long awaited spot in pro Football's hallowed ground, and he is the part of the Hall of Fame class at twenty twenty six. It's an amazing class. Drew Brees, Larry Fitzgerald, Luke Keigley, Adam Vinettier and Roger Craig. And I just wanted to say not only congratulations to Roger, his family, his friends, his teammates and everybody who loves him, but I also want to say congratulations to you, Mark, because you you had her hand in this, You had a role in this, and I'm so proud to say that. You know, I was maybe had a little small part in this as well, and I'm so excited. I know you are as well. It's not about you, it's not about me, but it's about Roger. But tell us a little bit about what you did to try to make this a reality, because this is a long road and this is this is not the first time you and I have talked about Roger for the Hall of Fame, and you've spent a lot of hours invested in this. Tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has been a long road about thirty years that he's been waiting to get in, and it's long overdue, it's well deserved. But you are one of the big reasons why he's in. Because when I reached out to you and said, hey, I heard in that pregame show, I heard the stats the case that you made. Can I get a copy of that because I want to write an article on it. And you gave me, you know, you called me and said here's here's the case, and then you kind of challenged me, Hey, don't just write an article. See if you can get some guys on board, because you know, you're a writer, you're a fan, that's great. But if you can get some guys like Joe Montana, Steve Young and Ronnie Lott, if you can get those kinds of guys behind you, then this this could go a long way. And you know, I said, okay, I'll give that a shot, thinking how in the world am I going to get, you know, in touch with these guys. But I ended up had a contact with the team who put me in contact with somebody else that was with the team back from the glory days. And then that individual just said, hey, who do you want? And I said, I just started naming names, and I started with Joe and Jerry and and Ronnie and all these guys, and next thing I know, I'm reaching out to him. And because it was Roger Craig, they they all reached back out to me. And so it really is a testament to the kind of person that that Roger is, because these these guys were all willing to talk to somebody that they didn't know, just just just for a chance that he might make it into the hall. And so it was definitely a collective effort. Couldn't have done that on my own. So I appreciate you. And Matt Mayoko gave me a lot of guidance. Being that he's a Hall of Fame voter, he was able to tell me, Okay, here's how they think, here's what you need to to speak to as far as the Hall of Fame voters. But you know, some of them I had to do on my own. Like I've got Mike Singletary didn't have anybody get his information for me, but he has a charity. I went to that charity website and just filled out this little contact for him and said who I was and why I was wanting to talk to to Coach Singletary, and he called me the next day. And so that shows you how great of a person Roger Praig is because so many people were willing to help. I mean, when we were making this big push, the last time that we were doing it, I think, if I remember right, Joe Montana was out of the country, and so there were some people Eddie de Bartolow's office, they were getting some of the some of the guys like Watt and Singletary and Steve Young and different guys. They were getting them together to call Hall of Fame voters and say, hey, he needs to get he needs to be selected. And Montana was in another country and he took time out of his schedule to call some Hall of Fame voters while he was overseas. And so I think that just shows you how great of a person Roger Craig is.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so true somewhere in this path. I I I did an event with Roger down in San Jose and and I told him, I said, hey, man, we're gonna we're gonna fight this fight. We're gonna get you in there. We're gonna, we're gonna, you know, because he's he was too proud to do it on himself, do it for himself. He's just he's not the kind of guy who's gonna do that. He's just not He's not Drew Pearson. He's not gonna. I should have been in you know. And and yet you know what, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And I'm I I promised him, I'm like, man, we are gonna fight this fight. We're gonna we're gonna knock on every door. We're gonna remind people but what you were and and and and we're gonna, we're gonna get this done. And Roger was like, you know, very happy, you know, very gracious, but you know, he this means so much to him, and it's meant so much to him, and to have to wait as long as he has, it's just it's not right. There are bigger injustices in the world. I'm not pretending that this is the greatest injustice of all time, but this is a guy who if Walsh had not died early, Walsh would have led the charge. And unlike you or I who don't maybe quite have the juice, if Bill had said Roger's a Hall of Famer and kept saying it, you know, he would have been in probably a decade ago. And instead he's had to wait, largely because Bill passed and he didn't have that advocate. But I'm just glad that that we could be that advocate. That and you talk to a lot of guys, I mean, and you did a lot of interviews, So tell us a little bit about this because I know you put together a video, like an extensive video, and then what happened with that video? Where did that video go?
Speaker 2: So first, I did. I wrote a story on forty nine ers web zone, and then I took that. Once we finished it, I took that and sent it to all the guys involved, so Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Eddie de Bartolo, Ronnie Lott, Brent Jones, Carmen Policy, George Seaffert, all of these guys got a copy of that article so they could send it off to whoever they wanted to send it off to. I then sent it to every Hall of Fame senior voter that I had received. I don't remember who it was, but somebody had given me all of those names. I think it was somebody from Eddie D's office. So I sent it all to them and some of them responded said thank you, and some of them didn't respond. So then about a year so later, we did that podcast series that you were a part of, and that was you making the Hall of Fame case. That was some media people like Matt Mayoko and some Hall of Fame voters, and then that was the players, you know, Steve Young and Ronnie Lott and some of those guys. And so once we finished that, we sent that to the Hall of Fame voters as well. But there was also an article in there that I did that had Mike Singletary and Harry Carson and John Robinson, who interestingly, interestingly enough, John Robinson and Dan Reeves both at two different times during the eighties, one of them in eighty five, one of them in eighty eight said Roger Craig is the best running back we have in the NFL. I'll remind you that John Robinson coached Eric Dickerson. So those are big words, you know. And then Mike Singletarry to say, I put Roger Craig right up there with Walter Payton. Those are huge birds. So and so then Matt and Mayoko did a similar article. I don't remember which year it was, but he did something very similar where he reached out to a lot of players that played against Roger and so he put something together and I think through mister Dee's office, they reached out to some other players. I don't remember who all that they reached out to, but they had they had other players contacting the Hall of Fame voters, and so there was just this huge effort beyond what I was doing to kind of collectively let's just inundate them with with with a passionate police and a passionate case on why we think Roger Craig belongs to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, statistically, there was no doubt he belonged in and anybody could see that. But it's also about what is the Hall of Fame? It's you know, and who are these Hall of Famers? What's their role? Well, they're ambassadors for the sport. Who's a better ambassador for pro football and the forty nine ers in NFL football than Roger Craig. I mean, seriously, the guy. The guy's in you know, testament to hard work. You know, he was a workmanlike player. I mean the the workouts that Jerry Rice is credited. You know, Jerry runs the Hill. You know, it's like that was Roger's workout, you know, Yeah, Roger introduced Jerry to the Hill. You know, it's like and you know, there's no bitterness at all. But I do think it's interesting that Jerry is so great, and I think Jerry's a big part of this. To be completely honest, and I told you that I really felt like the number one reason that Roger Craig belonged to the Hall of Fame was Jerry Rice, and people would say, well, what do you mean. I said, well, Jerry Rice is the greatest offensive statistical entity that the league has ever seen. He blew out the records by tons. The leagues have been a passing league for the last twenty years. People are still not even approaching Jerry's records. So he played in an era where there was less passing, and yet his numbers are so dominating, and it's just like anything else. It's like, if you have a two hundred yard receiver with four touchdowns, guess what you're running back probably had, you know, forty two yards and no touchdowns. And there were a lot of games like that where Roger Craig's numbers were suppressed because he played with Rice. And you could say the same thing about Waters, the same thing about John Taylor, the same thing about Brent Jones. I'm not saying they all belong in the hall because there are a little bit more borderline cases. But when you factor in the Jerry factor and how much he dominated the ball, and you look at Rogers numbers, there's just no doubt that Jerry, even though he's great and there was not you know, it wasn't doing anything to Roger. But just the presence of a dominant statistical force like Jerry suppressed Craig's Hall of Fame resume and and and there's just no doubt about that. And it's I'm just so glad that the correction has been made, or that there were enough numbers out there, there were enough people that realized. Did you know, by the way, that sal Pallantonio was as passionate about Roger Craig's Hall of Fame candidacy as we were.
Speaker 2: Not until he started working, Because I think that somebody because he made the last He's the one this this past year that made the presentation to the Hall of Fame voters on Roger's behalf. And before he did that, he reached out to me just because he wanted to collect as much information as he could. And that was really the first time that I'd ever heard that he had any kind of push, you know, in Rogers favor. But yeah, you're right, he really was passionate and he was pushing for that. And I agree with you on the Rice thing. Joe Montana said it, if Jerry Rice wasn't there, imagine the kind of numbers that Roger Craig would have put up because Roger had his thousand thousand season in eighty five. That was Rice's rookie year. And so from that point on, I mean in nineteen eighty eight when they won Super Bowl twenty three, that was kind of when Rice was starting to be known as maybe the best wide receiver in football and Roger was still Roger was the NFC Offensive Player of the Year that year because people who were voting for that recognized, hey, this is he's not just a numbers guy. This guy means a lot to this Super Bowl winning team.
Speaker 1: No, no question, no question about it. Did mister D is such a leader of this franchise and so many of his words, I think he was a guy that motivated South Palantoni to lead this charge to some degree. Do you remember any of the things that mister D said about Roger, because I know, you know Rob, you know Eddie understands that Roger needed to be in there and you know, really champion this, you know, behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think of what there was something that he had said, and I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think that he talked about the fact that Roger Craig changed Bill Walsh's offense. And I mean, you look at today, there's whether it's Kyle Shanahan or whoever, there are so many teams that are using at least part of what Walsh did. And so I think that, you know, when you can say that player changed the offense of a guy like Bill Walsh, that's a huge statement. And so I think that, if I remember right the Bartolow, one of his big things was that, you know a lot of people blame the fumble in the NFC Championship, and how many people in their life that are very successful have a miscue. You know, I'm going to judge somebody by one mistake. I mean, before there was the catch in that nineteen eighty one NFC Championship game, how many times did Joe Montana turn the ball over? It doesn't mind. I think that, Yeah, what matters is what happened in the end. And so I think that that, you know, you don't judge based off one play, but that just happened to be his final play with the forty nine Ers, And so I even had some forty nine Ers fans reach out to me during his time and say, I don't think he belongs in the Hall of Fame because of that humble and my response ridiculous. Hey, maybe maybe you should get a new team.
Speaker 1: Then no, yeah, bro, check yourself. Come on, So what Pablo Picasso, It's not it's not really art because there was a little yellow speck in the corner. It's like, what stop? Uh. A Niner fan sent this sent me a note a couple of weeks ago, saying that Roger's signature run is an example of his Hall of fame. Uh. You know efforts and I and I thought, you know what, I can understand that he had that signature run against the Rams and it's like everybody thought he was tackled, but he kept going and here comes the high knees and but every he thought he was tackled, but no, he keeps going. And you know the effort and the energy and the determination, and it's like, you know what, it took all of that effort, all of that energy, all of that determination to get him to Saturday in Canton, and Mark you had a huge hand in it, man, And I just wanted to say thank you for what you did. You went above and beyond, man. You took the baton and you ran with it, and I really believe that this day doesn't happen without your efforts. And I just wanted to highlight you today on camb Are and let people know that story and know what you did. And I'm so proud of it, and I'm really I feel like we got something. We actually made a difference, and we got this guy to a place that he rightfully belongs. And I just want to say thank you from Niner fans everywhere for what you did. And I just want you to enjoy the speech on Saturday. I know I will. It's one of my favorite days of the year. Raddy and I used to talk about our favorite football days, and the one thing we agreed on is we both loved the Hall of Fame speeches because it's like that, you know, it's the end of a guy's football life and there's some great moments there and they're thanking people that help them, and nobody gets there by themselves, and there's always somebody who helped you, a coach, a teacher, or a mentor, or a wife, a girlfriend, whatever. And I'm sure Roger will shout out a lot of people that helped him. But if it was if everything was right in the world. He would shout out your name because you had a huge hand in it. Man. Congratulations man, and thanks for coming on. Camb are telling the story, giving a little background, and enjoy that stuff this weekend and way to go.
Speaker 2: My pleasure.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was my honor to be part of it. And I'm going to enjoy watching him, like watching him walk on the field last night when they when they introduced him, and you could just see on his joy, you know.
Speaker 1: The joy.
Speaker 2: And so tomorrow I think is going to be really special.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt. Mark Adams from Fort netter websone Mark, thanks again,