Speaker 1: Something's not right here. Crime is up all over the.
Speaker 2: State, homelessness and the city is out of control.
Speaker 3: The economy is six, axes are high.
Speaker 1: Housing is expensive, and businesses are leaving.
Speaker 3: Leaving California means fixing, and John Phillips is just the man to leave the charge. It's the Fix California Hour with John Phillips and Randy Way.
Speaker 4: And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 1: Johnny, we're broadcasting live on the radio seven ninety KABC in southern California and eight ten KSFO in the Bay Area, and we're also broadcasting live on video at Johnny don't Like dot Com. We've made it so easy to find it, whether you're on a phone or a browser. Johnny don't Like dot Com takes you right to the YouTube channel. When you're there, you can hit like, you can hit subscriber at one hundred and eighty one likes for today's show, and this channel is now up to three thousand, seven hundred and forty two subscribers, So thank you all so much. We're here until three o'clock and then after that We've got tons of on demand content on the channel, including the latest episode of the Accountability Podcast, which is right under the video you're watching right now.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two two two five two two two. Is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was.
Speaker 4: Last week we had Julie Watts from CBS News California Investigates on to talk about her multi part series on taxpayer dollars going to an organization that is very friendly with Gavin Newsom's wife to provide free diapers for California babies. Here with an update on that, mister Randy Wang.
Speaker 1: Julie Watts is continuing to dive deep into what has now been called Diapergate. By the way, we got such a huge response from that interview, we're gonna be rerunning that interview and the Susanie Crabtree interview from last week at the end of tomorrow's show. So if you did not get to see those interviews, we're gonna play them for you because we got a lot of requests. They were some of our best interviews we've had for the month. Is now we're doing these things on video. But here's the latest from the legendary Julie wattsper.
Speaker 5: This investigation began back in May as a simple fact check. That is what we Californians are actually paying for right now. That comes out to eighteen point five cents.
Speaker 1: Per diaper, has a lot of diapies.
Speaker 5: Back to the critics, math and backgrounded, Baby to Baby to Baby is a highly rated charity. Other than the state refusing to immediately release the contract, there was really only one red flag. This is what the state wants to send home with every new parent, four hundred diapers. But experts warn not to buy diapers in bulk for newborns because babies can quickly outgrow diapers in the.
Speaker 1: So whose idea was this? Gavin good question? Did Baby to Baby have an overstocked They overbought on size zero diapers and figured, hey, can we get the state to buy them first couple of months. Also, and I have to point this out every single time we do this story. Who was asking for this? Where was the need? There are a lot of hurdles to become a parrot in the state of California. It costs on average about three hundred thousand dollars to raise a child from birth to college in the state of California. Is four hundred diapers really going to push someone into the other direction?
Speaker 5: Good question, So stockpiling leads to waste. Turns out agency officials had the same concerns, which the records revealed when we finally got them after sixty six days.
Speaker 1: They slow rolled this contract over and over and over again until Julie found the numbers somewhere else and did a report on it, and they're like, no, no, no, here's the contract. There's nothing to see here. What are you talking about.
Speaker 4: Whenever they act weird about these, there's usually a reason why, And here we are now.
Speaker 5: The state warned baby to baby that sending new parents home with four hundred diapers quote might be overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think you even have room in the car for that.
Speaker 5: And echoed warnings that only offering newborn in size one diapers could lead to quote waste because maybe.
Speaker 1: So the state knows that this is a stupid idea, but we're going to pay the nonprofit to do it. Anyway. That's the state of California for you.
Speaker 5: It's quickly outgoing.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is by the way, it hearkens back to another thing that Julie Watts did a report from earlier this year on how the California State of California does all kinds of audits and nobody at the legislature or the Governor's office even reads them. There was an audit many years ago on how edd was prone for fraud, they didn't do anything about it. And John, how much did we lose in twenty twenty what thirty billion dollars? Estimates are around thirty billion dollars? Some of that went to Las Vegas steakhouses that now Baby.
Speaker 5: To Baby, pushing back arguing against offering the additional sizes and saying their boxes each about the size of a small carry on bag.
Speaker 4: What are you supposed to do with all of these diapers? And we're the ones paying for it. If we're paying for that many diapers that newborns can't even use, they better fit Jerry Brown and Maxine Waters too.
Speaker 5: Hard to carry? Meanwhile, their competitors sided data.
Speaker 1: Did they give you a little dolly to carry them out to the car? Does now the hospital have to pay for a staffer not only to wheel you out, but also to wheel out all the boxes of diapers? Where does the hospital keep all the diapers that are going home with you. There's a lot of weird questions about this diaper deal.
Speaker 4: What are you supposed to do put the baby on the roof of your car when you load up your trunk in the back seat with diapers that you're not gonna use anyway.
Speaker 1: Like it's a piece of furniture.
Speaker 5: Showing that eighty three percent of families in need actually ask for diapers size four and above, several organizations urge.
Speaker 1: The state to yeah, those infant days, they don't need anything yet they don't need the diapers.
Speaker 4: Size four. That's pretty big, though, isn't it? Think how much breast milk are these kids drinking?
Speaker 1: This segment has already taken a dark turn.
Speaker 5: Amazon proposed letting families select sizes delivered to their door with returns, but Amazon is missing.
Speaker 1: From them, although we all know what the Amazon return process is. Like, why don't you want these diapers? Are you sure you don't want these diapers? Please tell us why you don't want these diapers? Oh, you want to talk to somebody, here's someone from Bangladesh. Tell them why you don't want these diapers.
Speaker 5: The state's comparison spreadsheet, which has no scores, no rankings. In fact, the closest thing to a score sheet is the agency's final recommendation listing Baby to Baby and one other nonprofit, which the state notes offered more diapers in more sizes and direct to consumer distribution, which Baby to Baby could not wait.
Speaker 1: Was the other organization a bank? It was diaper bank.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was about to say the only bank I think that would be associated with fertility would be a sperm bank.
Speaker 1: No, this is a diaper bank. It's a nonprofit that is donation based out of Oakland. They've been around for many, many, many years, and they have the infrastructure to actually give out the diapers to people. Baby to Baby does not have the distribution to do this, but now they have forty million dollars and they can figure that out. So the question is, again, Gavin Newsom's the one that at the press conference said this was a competitive bidding process. We now know it's not. And why was the organization with ties to Jennifer c. Bold Newsom chosen over the organization that could have done this more efficiently for cheaper.
Speaker 5: Still, the state selected Baby to Baby anyway, walking in a contract with four hundred diapers sent home with each baby in newborn and size.
Speaker 1: What if you have twins, you get eight hundred. What if you have triplets, What if you're octomom? How many diapers are they going to send you home with?
Speaker 5: And only no returns or exchanges?
Speaker 1: Okay, this is a scam. The nonprofit that's getting paid by the state to give out diapers to new parents won't let you return or exchange the diapers that you do not need because the kid already outgrew them, I'm guessing. So they can go back and say, well, now, Gavin, we need another forty million dollars for size two.
Speaker 4: All sales are final forty million.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: The contract also specifies that the program's oversight committee is exempt from California public meetings law, and any talking points must be mutually approved by Baby to Baby and the state.
Speaker 1: Now, this is all attention that Gavin did not need. Who put him up to this? Because you don't get any There's no good press that actually came out of this. Nobody paid attention to that press conference outside of the bizarre framing of why we need this in the first place. What is Gavin getting out of this?
Speaker 4: Well, and the wife in particular, is attracting all kinds of negative attention. I'm sure when he picked her he thought, Okay, she's an actress, she's from a wealthy family. She'll produce good look in kids, she'll be nice arm candy, and she's not gonna bring me any negative headlines. And now look at it.
Speaker 5: There is no profit included in this deal, but it does include funding for twelve taxpayer funded Baby to Baby staff positions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is Yeah, of course there's no profit. It's a nonprofit. But now the state is subsidizing twelve jobs at this nonprofit to fulfill a service that nobody was asking for. This is as California as it gets. I'm surprised it's only twelve but not more.
Speaker 5: Warehousing, shipping, and eight to nine cents per diaper, though we don't know how much Baby to Baby is actually paying for each of those diapers manufactured in Mexico.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, they're not even California manufactured diapers. A wait a second, what if it's the diapers in Mexico, not the lettuce in Mexico that contains cyclosporiasis.
Speaker 5: And the record showed that Baby to Baby declined to name its manufacturer during the RFI process. Now we ask the state if they do now know who is manufacturing Baby to Babies diapers. We have not heard back that say.
Speaker 1: This sounds as crooked as Gavin News some weird deal to supply masks from China from electric car manufacturer byd ED This.
Speaker 4: Is the one we know about. How many deals like this are going on that we haven't heard about yet.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what Diipergate is truly about. What she found out was so many different of these massive contracts. We're not through a competitive bidding process, which makes you wonder why and who exactly is getting the deal and who are they connected to.
Speaker 5: One of many questions that we've asked the state that we're waiting for answers on, and we'll keep you updated when or if we get answers for CBS California Investigates, I'm Julie Watts.
Speaker 1: And like I said, we're going to be replaying John's interview with Julie Watts from last week tomorrow at two thirty because the stuff that she has uncovered. She is one of the best reporters in the state of California, and if you didn't get a chance to hear it, you need to hear all the things that she has uncovered in this weird diaper deal from Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 4: Dirty dealings going on in Sacramento. Now that isn't the only thing going on in Sacramento right now, Randy. There's also a fight over AI campaign ads that's also heating up in the state capitol.
Speaker 1: Just give me a second here, because now I have to switch to today's stuff, and then I have to add this, and then I have to go over here. Yes, Adam Schiff, the Senator from California, thinks that AI ads are bads from mar Here's ABC ten.
Speaker 7: We have election season heating up. Campaign ads are, of course everywhere. Good evening, Thank you so much for joining us on to the point. I'm Alex bell. As AI becomes more sophisticated, one California lawmaker wants to limit how it can be used to influence voters.
Speaker 1: ABC do know what this is about.
Speaker 4: This is about Spencer Pratt generating a ton of interest and shaming Karen Bass and shaming the California Democratic Party for how they've run Los Angeles and how they've run the state of California and becoming an even bigger celebrity than he already was because of it. They don't want future candidates to be able to do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, especially when that guy that was doing those videos for free, Spencer Pratt, just got hired by Steve Hilton. What's interesting, though, is when we originally started talking about AI and campaign ads, everyone's big fear was deep figs. Like everyone's seen that video that was from like four or five years ago where it had Barack Obama saying things that he would not say, and it was really hard to tell that it wasn't him. The AI campaign ads that we're talking about now, it's very obvious that they're not real. No, it's cartoons. Mostly nobody thinks Steve Hilton is really fighting a robot, nobody thinks that Spencer Pratt is really Batman. And while some people might think that Karen Bass is the joker, but that's on you.
Speaker 7: And is here to break it down for us tonight.
Speaker 8: Well, Alex Democratic US Senator Adam Shiff is the main author behind the AI ads act.
Speaker 1: By the way, we're not going to feature it, but if you go on Twitter, the guy who created all these things, Charles Kerrn, in response to Adam Schiff writing this bill. He made a video of Shifty Shift and Rokanna in bed together. We might have to play that. I don't know if we can. Okay, I've already getten some notes from management that I can't put politicians inside the images that I create for the show. So I don't know if we can or we should. You get to remember, this show has the staffing level of a startup with the bureaucracy of a big conglomeration, So we're just going to have to deal with it.
Speaker 8: This comes after Republican candidate for governor's Steve Hilton released an AI generated ad that ship ark.
Speaker 1: Now, I think we can play the clip that's featured in the newscast, but I can't wait to get a note after this.
Speaker 8: Show is problematic and fraudulent. He hopes his bill can put a stop to this, but experts say changing the rules around political ads will be an uphill battle. In a recent ad from Republican, no.
Speaker 4: I think that's really Steve Hilton, Oh yeah, Hilton fighting the robot that happened.
Speaker 8: Editorial candidate Steve Hilton. It shows him as a fighter against what he calls the machine featured in the AI generated ad our images of Governor Gavin Newsom, former VP Kamala Harris, and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Javier Basera.
Speaker 9: It's already a violation of the law to defraud people.
Speaker 1: That is not AI. That is actually what Adam Schiff looks like with a little too much cheek makeup.
Speaker 4: Well after he got called pencilneck. I think that really got in his head.
Speaker 9: Pull and political advertisements. I've reintroduced legislation, the AI Ads Act.
Speaker 8: This bill, if.
Speaker 1: Passed, AAA, you're going to get sued.
Speaker 8: Us, would expand the existing federal election law and prohibit the use of AI to falsely impersonate candidates, campaigns, or political organizations.
Speaker 1: And by the way, you want to talk about where you have free reign to say all kinds of misleading information. That's what political ads are all about.
Speaker 4: And by the way, while he's out saving democracy, this is the same sun of a bitch that tried to get me kicked off Twitter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.
Speaker 2: Wash your hands often and always before eating and after toileting.
Speaker 8: The bill would apply to anyone or group who produces these ads. To be clear, this would not ban the usage of AI in campaign ads.
Speaker 9: All of these ads total fakes meant to misrepresent to voters the positions of real people, real candidate incumbents.
Speaker 8: But author and journalist Al Tompkins says it'll be difficult to pass this bill as the rules and regulations around campaign ads are heavily protected.
Speaker 10: The courts have always given the widest possible birth to free speech when it comes to politics, So the courts federally have been very reluctant to restrain speech political speech. But in the age of artificial intelligence, states have stepped in to do the work that generally would have been left to Congress.
Speaker 8: In twenty nineteen, Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill that would crack down on deep fakes and elections. And in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Five, and that's not what this is. This is in making it look like you might actually get fooled by something. The videos that are going viral are very obviously not real.
Speaker 4: No, what they're trying to do is man parody. They don't want to be made fun of, they do not like it, they can't handle it, so they want to make it illegal.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of thin skins, and Sacramento or.
Speaker 8: Signed three additional bills seeing deceptive AI generated election related content. But even with these new laws, Tompkins says, it's still up to the voter to be educated when consuming political ads.
Speaker 10: So we've been able to alter the way that people sound in recordings on video and film for decades. So there's nothing new about that. What's new is it's easier and even more convincing now. But it's not new that politicians lie about each other. That's not new.
Speaker 8: In a statement, Steve Hilton says in part, Adam Schiff is another creature of the same corrupt machine and wants to silence criticism. He adds, that's not democracy. Abs Ten did request an interview with Senator Schiff, but Alex he declined.
Speaker 7: All right, Jenny, thank you.
Speaker 1: There you go. Adam Schiff wants to go after AI campaign ads.
Speaker 4: Maybe he had to sharpen his neck and get a new eraser. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: And Randy.
Speaker 4: Not only can you listen to the show on the radio, you can watch us live on YouTube. Participate in the chat and click that like button.
Speaker 1: All right there at Johnny Dontlike dot Com. We bought a domain name just to make it easy to find us. So just type into your browser on your phone or on your computer. Johnny Don't Like dot Com takes you right to the YouTube channel. You can subscribe to the channel. We're at over thirty seven hundred and forty subscribers to the channel. You can like today's show. All of that helps push us into the stratosphere in the YouTube worlds. And after we're off the air, there's tons of on demand content that's available to you, including the Accountability Podcast. So if you haven't watched this week's episode where we talk about Kamala Harris and her potential presidential run, watch it right after the show at three o'clock. We would appreciate it if you'll watch it, like it, and leave.
Speaker 4: A co If you'd like to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 1: All right. We know that.
Speaker 4: Energy is very, very very expensive in the state of California and Randy in northern California. It could be getting more expensive very soon.
Speaker 1: And this is about as PG and E as it gets. PG and E that got six approved rate hikes last year. Wants to hike their rates again, and not for wildfire prevention, not for upgrading their infrastructure, simply to give more money to their shareholders.
Speaker 4: I'm sure the rate payers will be very happy to hear about that.
Speaker 1: For more, here's a report from NBC in the Bay.
Speaker 11: PG and E is raising eyebrows tonight asking for a rate increase on natural gas to fund a twenty six million dollar shareholder reward.
Speaker 1: You know, at this point, it's probably a good idea to invest in PG and E because California wants to make sure this company will never lose.
Speaker 4: I did that once before, when they were on the ropes and Gavin had to step in and help them. I said, there's no way Gavin's not going to step in and help them. So I bought a bunch of stock and it went up.
Speaker 2: PG claims it.
Speaker 1: I mean, hell, when they burned down a whole town, what do they give the victims? PG and E stock instead of cash?
Speaker 11: Great payers money by keeping costs down, and shareholders should be rewarded for that. As NBC beayer is Trudy Hernandez tells us that's not sitting well with customers.
Speaker 12: The PG and E rates keep going up, and social security does in.
Speaker 2: Sixty seven year old Janis Mercado and her friend, and it does go up every year, but by like five bucks. Yeah, Miss Henry had plenty to say today. After learning PG and E wants to raise their natural gas rates, we caught up with them at their senior nitty club and antioch, one of the few activities they say they can afford.
Speaker 1: They're going to have to cut back on yarn because of you, PG and E.
Speaker 4: Well, she's going to have to put together a thicker blanket because she's not going to be able to afford to turn the heat on.
Speaker 1: This winner.
Speaker 6: PG and E needs to drop the rates instead of raising the rates.
Speaker 1: These rates only go in one direction, ma'am.
Speaker 6: Need to give back to the consumers instead of the big pocket people that already have plenty of money.
Speaker 12: We all have to count off pennies. That's why we're here at the Senior center for some social activity that doesn't cost a fortune.
Speaker 2: PG and E has notified customers it's requesting a rate hike to fund a twenty six point six million dollars shareholder reward.
Speaker 1: They're not even trying to lie and say that this is for wildfire prevention. No, this is just because we want more money.
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of people talk about the Getty family as being the family that allowed Gavin news Him to have a police career, and they were his big benefactors, and that's true, but PG and E was right there along with them. Without PG and E, there's no Gavin Newsom. So there's nothing that PG and E wants that Newsom is not going to give them.
Speaker 1: Well, and you go back to Gavin's biggest blunder during the COVID days, that dinner at the French Laundry in Yontville where he said he was celebrating his best friend's fiftieth birthday. Wasn't his best friend, It was his lobbyist friend. And who was he? The lobbyist for Netflix and p G and E. Just after Gavin Newsom orchestrated their bailout.
Speaker 2: They say they saved consumers one hundred and seventy million dollars by purchasing the lowest gas prices possible.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, they're doing us a favor. Remember what happened And this was true with PG and E San Diego Gas and Electric and so Cal Edison when the war started in Ukraine a few years ago. They decided that they can make a bunch of money by selling all of their natural gas to Europe and then buying new gas on the spot market and selling it to Californians at triple the price. How could we forget? People were calling into the show telling us that their one hundred dollars bill turned into five hundred and they could not afford it. And these companies care no, They're making tons of money left and right. And you might ask, where's the regulators here? Where's the California Public Utilities Commission? Well, the people that Gavin appoints to the California Public Utilities Commission are all former people that worked at PG and E and so cal Edison November of Cowmany members of the legislature are former executives at PG and E. Well, Lisa Calderon is.
Speaker 2: One two to October of twenty three. While most of the same goes to consumers, they believe shareholders.
Speaker 1: And wasn't it one of your legislators, Chad Mays, who is not even in PG and e's area, that helped orchestrate that bailout to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then he went to work for the firm that represents pg and.
Speaker 2: E deserve to be rewarded. In a statement, pg and E says, under CPUC rules, customers retain the majority of those savings, while shareholders may receive a performance based incentive when procurement costs are lower than the established market benchmarks.
Speaker 1: These companies are guaranteed a specific rate of return, and they are guaranteed rate hikes and all kinds of things. It was one of the only things that was positive about Tom Steyer's incredibly annoying campaign for governor. We're to big ass crisis. He was the only one going after these monopolies and their behavior, which has been reprehensible.
Speaker 11: PGEN because they think they did well in keeping it not too high.
Speaker 1: Now they want to reward just for doing their job. Pgn E is the only company that could say with a straight face, no, we deserve more money because we've kept your rates real cheap.
Speaker 4: Good luck with that, and their job is to keep rates as low as possible.
Speaker 2: Mark Tony, the executive director of the Utility Reform Network, calls the request outrageous and unfair.
Speaker 1: If they want their shareholders to be rewarded when they underspend, then their shareholders should be held accountable.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's the name of our podcast. A new one dropped earlier this week.
Speaker 1: It's the most meaningless word in the English language.
Speaker 11: When they overspend, and that's not what PGN is asking for.
Speaker 2: PGNE says, if approved bills will go up about forty one cents a month, Janice and Jen say, when you're scraping to get back.
Speaker 1: Wait, they're both named Janis. I wonder if everyone in that senior center is named Janis, even the men. M Maybe that's just, you know, part of your life. If you're name Janis, at some point you're going to be into crocheng.
Speaker 2: Hi. Every penny counts.
Speaker 12: Why don't we get the reward we've been paying the bills. Hello, you know, give it back to the people that are paying the bills.
Speaker 1: It's hard, okay, Just noting that the majority of these women in a Bay area senior center all sound like they're from New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not one of them sounds like they're from here for.
Speaker 12: US seniors to make up bills.
Speaker 2: California Public Utilities Commission isn't expected to make a decision on pg and e's shareholder reward request until sometime next year. Jody Hernandez, NBC Bay Area News.
Speaker 1: So there you go, Pacific Gas and Electric once again and wants more of your money. And they're not even pretending that they're going to do anything good with it. They just want more of your money. Okay.
Speaker 4: So they want to be rewarded for what they regard as being good stewards of their company for mini moons.
Speaker 1: Correct, yes, okay.
Speaker 4: This is the same company that was held criminally responsible for the fire in Paradise, burning the entire town down and all the people who were there. It wasn't that they were found to be civilly responsible, although they were, but criminally responsible as well. They were charged by a local district attorney in northern California criminally for that fire. No one ended up going to prison, but they were convicted in that trial. And now they want to pat themselves on the back for being such a good California company.
Speaker 1: And if you want any proof that Gavin Newsom does nothing but hold water for this crooked, corrupt company. Every single time he is at a wildfire press conference, he was at a conference with cal Fire last week, he will inevitably bring up Paradise, Grizzly Flats, Greenville, and will blame all of those on climate change, not on who started all three of those fires, faulty, none paid attention to equipment from Pacific Gas and Electric. He constantly wants you to think that PGENE had nothing to do with those fires.
Speaker 4: I would love to know what the people who burned to live think about this, but as it so happens, we can't get comment from them because they're no longer here thanks to pg and E.
Speaker 1: Should we try to get Tyler henry On as a guest?
Speaker 4: We could, but if we can't do AI, I don't think we can do that either.
Speaker 1: How we doing on the likes, Randy, Let's check out the ticker if you're watching us at Johnny don'tlike dot com utive if you just want to stop in for a couple of minutes in between a break at your job. We're currently at two hundred and thirty four likes for today's show, So thank you so much. The like button is the thumbs up button, and the more of those we get, the more YouTube thinks that we're popular, and we get a little dopamine drip and we love that, all right.
Speaker 4: Yesterday we told you about a development in West Hollywood, an abandoned development that was taken over by coyotes, and today, Randy, we have an update on that story.
Speaker 1: And the update if you have small pets, we'll piss you off as much as it pisses me off. People keep feeding the coyotes idiots. For more, here is CBS in Los Angeles.
Speaker 13: The city of West Hollywood telling a local developer to fit the problem. Well, that's after a pack of coyotes made their home in an empty condo complex under consideration.
Speaker 1: Really, this empty condo complex has been sitting here abandoned for two years. I thought we're in a housing crisis.
Speaker 4: Okay, so on that point, A friend of mine who knows about this texted me after the show and gave me an explanation as to what likely happened there and what is likely producing buildings that are abandoned like that all over southern California.
Speaker 1: Here is what he had to say.
Speaker 4: One of the big reasons why a lot of these projects become abandoned is because in a city like West Hollywood, for instance, they have so much pushback from the NIMBI crowd about the development. The city puts so many extra requirements on it that it takes years and years and years to get permits and approvals, so that by the time that they have those, costs for the project have changed and they have to go do the financing, and sometimes it doesn't work out, or sometimes earlier permits expire and they have to start that over because the other part of this process takes so long. When the city makes them jump through all of these hoops, nothing can happen quickly, and that kills projects that have already broken ground. He then went on to say the pandemic and the subsequent inflation screwed a lot of that stuff up. Anything that was approved right before the pandemic. They got the financing based on the costs at that time, but then everything was delayed through the pandemic and the cost of everything went up by like twenty percent, So then they don't have enough money to actually start the project, and then they have to go redo everything on top of the hurdles that the city puts on them.
Speaker 1: So, in other words, the bureaucracy is real. Yep shangy soothsayer.
Speaker 13: Cbsla's Nicole Comstock is live in West Hollywood with concerns from residents and the city's demands.
Speaker 14: Nicole that's right, ladies, and tonight, a wildlife rescuer told me realistically, it could take a couple of weeks for an expert to come out here start monitoring these coyotes.
Speaker 1: Come up with you a couple of weeks, so that means how many cats are they going to eat before? Between now and then, they can't have any more urgency than that, Well, this is California.
Speaker 14: Plan and then carefully kick them out. Perhaps they were shining away from the limelight today, but we finally spotted the coyotes of the now infamous Coyote Condos.
Speaker 1: Right around Coyote Condos, Tager Towers, LA has so many landmarks.
Speaker 14: Sunset honkering down in the middle of the unfinished building. It delighted their many admirers.
Speaker 1: These people are so stupid. Seriously, I feel like, and I've been to other cities in Los Angeles and West Hollywood count I feel like I live with the dumbest people on the planet. It's like the New Walk of Fame.
Speaker 14: Heck, even the dogs wanted to look.
Speaker 2: I also haven't seen any of them today, and I see them every day.
Speaker 14: What a relief for neighbor Cindy Sorely she's been worried about them since last night.
Speaker 1: Not worried about them eating pets. Now, we're just worried about the wild animals.
Speaker 2: She says.
Speaker 14: Someone drove to the construction site and dumped raw meat over the fence.
Speaker 1: Oh god, a bunch of chicken drumsticks. Seriously, do not feed the coyotes.
Speaker 2: Some guy just came over and dumped like sixty chicken legs.
Speaker 1: Maybe he got them from Boyle Heights.
Speaker 4: I don't know, got chicken legs?
Speaker 2: She says.
Speaker 14: She saw one of the coyotes dragging a drumstick away and then the seem to disappear for the whole day one.
Speaker 4: A second, Well, they didn't need to hunt that day. I wonder if he's trying to poison them.
Speaker 1: That's what she thinks. But no, that's not what happened. It's just a bunch of idiots.
Speaker 9: At almost like, oh no, did someone try to poison them?
Speaker 1: You know, that went through my head.
Speaker 14: The City of West Hollywood says their main photos.
Speaker 1: By the way, that is a real tactic that in Texas people try to use to knock down the wild boar population. That is a literal pest to communities that can tear up yards and houses and everything else they try to poison them.
Speaker 14: Is on securing a prompt humane wildlife assessment and response. They've been in contact with the property owners representative and say they expect them to promptly address what can only be called a wild living arrangement.
Speaker 15: Realistically to probably think about maybe like maybe a week in order to devise a plan. How are they going to do it? Are you going to exclude them via the building via defense?
Speaker 14: Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates is a state license wildlife rescuer. She says trapping the coyotes won't work because they're too smart to go into box traps.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I've seen a lot of looney tunes.
Speaker 4: Wiley was pretty dumb, constantly kept running off cliffs.
Speaker 14: The best plan of action, she says, would be to haze or scare the alpha male and alpha female out of the condos when they're all together around eight pm.
Speaker 15: So if you were to, I mean delicately carefully haze out the parents, the juveniles would follow them up.
Speaker 14: And then they would probably just find a different spot in the neighborhood.
Speaker 15: They're already living in the city. They live in the city.
Speaker 14: She says, to deter them from denning here again, where they unfortunately.
Speaker 1: So instead of being in the abandoned condo, we want them in the neighborhood where they can hebe even closer to people's pets.
Speaker 14: Habituated to getting big bowls of water and French fries. The owner should probably bard up.
Speaker 1: You know how the coyotes would leave if people stop feeding them and giving them water.
Speaker 4: I don't think the neighborhood wants them to leave, though, I think the neighborhood thinks it's cool that they're there.
Speaker 1: I gotta get out. I've got to get out. Even for California, Southern Californians, specifically La County, are the stupidest people on the planet.
Speaker 14: The bottom levels of the condos because coyotes can easily climb over and crawl under fences.
Speaker 2: They have to monitor if the babies are ready.
Speaker 14: Some neighbors are worried about the three coyote pups living here being sent off into the city, but Cummen says there's no need to.
Speaker 15: This is the time of year when the parents start teaching them how to hunt.
Speaker 1: Great, so they'll go after everyone's small dogs and then we'll celebrate them because the kids learn how to hunt. These are wild animals in their pests, and anyone that treats them any differently as a freaking moron.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 14: Cummins also suggest using trail cameras inside the building to detroy what parts of the building the coyotes are actually staying in and to figure out if their plan is ultimately successful. We'll send it back to you in the studio, all.
Speaker 13: Right, thanks to Cole.
Speaker 1: Do you know how long the story would be if it took place in Texas? Some coyotes took over a condo someone shot them. Story over.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't even make the news at eleven.
Speaker 1: It really wouldn't.
Speaker 4: No, the people are the problem here because those coyotes are never going to leave.
Speaker 1: They're wild animals and they're being taught right now that hey, I should stay here. These people will feed me. And if they don't feed me after they already fed me, maybe I should go to their house and eat their dog. That's what they're telling is right now, and they'll probably end up doing both.
Speaker 4: Yep, all right, We've got one more hour coming up on The John Phillips Show. If you're watching us live at Johnny don't like dot com Click that like button.
Speaker 1: What are we at right now, Randy, we are. Let's check the let's check the tally board right now. We're currently at two hundred and fifty two likes. You guys are killing it. Hit that thumbs up all right,