Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the sports Leader dot com at knbr V sports Leader app.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back live on the Murph and Marcus Show on a Wednesday morning, and joining us now on the UMA guest line is one of our favorite forty nine or beat writers, Matt Barrows from The Athletic Matt, I've got John Dickinson filling in for Murph this morning. How are we doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, And you guys are a favorite of mine too. I just want to let.
Speaker 2: You know that, Oh, Matt, I always love hearing that. You've always been one of my favorites from when I used to book you for like Drew Hoffer and Ryan Covey late at night, so it always appreciates time. Yeah, that's a name drop for you. Yes, indeed. Well, Matt, I know there's so many storylines to get into with forty nine ers training camp, but before we get into all the training camp schedules, I need to ask you about the travel schedules for the forty nine ers and the Rams. Five weeks and one day from today. It sounds like the Rams are flying out one day before the game. It was reported yesterday by ESPN's Dan Graziano. If you could please break down what you know about the forty nine ers travel schedule and what you kind of feel about the Rams strategy to fly in one day before Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a study in contrast, so this week one will be a great, you know, test of different strategies. The forty nine ers are going to go out I think more than a week ahead of the game, so they are taking a very scientific approach. They are going to try to acclimate I assume if they'll be practicing in the morning because that game Australia time kicks off at ten thirty, which is, you know, earlier than any local start that you're you're ever going to have in the NFL. The Rams are doing the exact opposite. They are not going to to overthink it. They're almost literally parachuting in the day before the game, and the idea is that we're not gonna kind of go through the rigmar role of adjusting our body clocks that might fail. We're just gonna react. And I believe they did something similar in a game in London recently and it went well for them. They blew the doors off the Jaguars in that game, and I think that sort of sealed their their their approach to these types of things that you know what, we're not going to change things. We're not going to torture ourselves through all these changes. We're just going to go in and, like I said, react to the situation. So it'll be interesting to see which team comes out on top. I mean, talent obviously is going to be a big factor in this as well. But my thought is that if the forty nine Ers sneak out of victory in that game and then have what is it, three home games later, I mean, that's a really great start to the season for them, and they beat their biggest rival and then they have some home games. If they lose it, though, and this is my point that then you know they have done a lot of work for nothing.
Speaker 4: No question, And they do, at least on paper, have two of the more winnable home games on their home schedule as those Week two and Week three games as well, that I think could be perceived as as somewhat of a softer landing spot considering the circumstances. I'm fascinated by this The quote from Sean McVay. Going back to last year, Matt and you mentioned them going over to London and beating the Jaguars. They arrived the morning of the game, so I guess it was a night game in London. They got in the morning of the game. And the quote from Sean McVay, we're like seal team sick, were in and out before you know what happened.
Speaker 3: See all teams score six. Yeah. I like that. I like that analogy.
Speaker 4: So I don't know who would you give the like, who would Matty Barrows give the the advantage to, because we were just talking about it during the break, and obviously there's a track record of the Rams doing it this way last year in a little bit of a different circumstance. But I feel like the forty nine ers would have an advantage at least going into it. Wouldn't wouldn't you You would think if they're they're a week and their their bodies have adjusted, you would think that they would have an advantage.
Speaker 3: And I should say that they've done well on these these longer trips over the years, the weeks that they spend in West Virginia or Youngstown State or Colorado, they usually do well in the next game. I don't think their their record is perfect, but they feel like they have a good handle on this bodyclock stuff, so you know. But then again, you know, the Jim Harball teams that I covered used to kind of handle long trips, like the McVeigh teams, let's let's just get on a plane go, you know, they were like the I always liken those teams to the outsiders. You just you just show up in the park and and have a fistfight. And he was a shift fall, you know what I'm saying. So I don't know, like I said, a study and you couldn't have two more different approaches to a game in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two different strategies being implemented by Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. But these are two different coaches that are in two different situations right now. With of course, Kyle Shanahan is still recovering from the car accident from a couple of weeks ago. Matt, what can you tell us about Kyle's recovery and some of the progress he's made throughout training camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's making progress. I don't think he's ready to take on the full day to day duties of a NFL head coach. From what I understand, uh stamina is still an issue. He just doesn't have the ability to put in that workload. But he's he's moving in that direction. They had their longest practice of the summer on on Monday, and he was out for virtually the whole practice, watching it live, and he also addressed the team for the first time. Over the weekend. He hadn't he hadn't held any team wide meetings. So all of those are are positive signs. But like I said, I don't think that there's any sense that maybe in this next block of practices, next four practices, he will be there in full.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Then they have next week a joint practice with the Titans and the Robert Salas, and then a preseason game, and then they have one in uh La with the Chargers. So that's sort of the next question. Is he up and running in full before those? I think I've I think another legitimate question is remember they had to cancel a joint practice I think it was against the Saints a couple of years ago because they just ran out of bodies. They couldn't hold a kind of a legitimate practice. And they're starting to approach those injury levels. They're probably not there yet, but there's more opportunities for guys to get injured over the next few days. So I think that that's always sort of a question do they have enough healthy bodies for these joint sessions?
Speaker 6: Well, you went exactly where I was going to go next.
Speaker 4: I mean, what's your sense for just how the forty nine ers are navigating the here we go again nature of some of these injuries, whether it's a season ender like Ricky Piersoll, or it's some of the more day to day, you know, dealings that at least on the surface, don't seem like they're going to be relatively long term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think most of these aren't going to be relatively long term, you know, but when when it happens to a Jordan James or a Kaylin Black, younger guys that that haven't been through it, you know, I think that there is concern. You want them a practicing as much as possible. In other words, now, both of those guys look really good to begin camp, and it's going to depend on how much time they miss. But you know, Jordan James has a broken rib. He's a running back, I would think that that rib has to fully heal before he can get back into the action. But you know too, I'm sure the your listeners want to know why the forty nine ers have all these injuries all the time, and I do believe it's because they just go hard in these practices. The word callous is used a lot by Kyle Shanahan, by John Lynch. You know, they want these guys to get used to a certain pace so that when the regulars even begins, they are they are moving at a greater pace than than the opponent. So they're building this callous right now, and then building a callous you get wounded. So that's the that's the trade off is that, yeah, you you get sort of inured used to practicing hard, but you end up hurting yourself as well. So that's, like I said, that's the line that this team walks. I yeah, I'd love to give those guys sodium pentethal and ask them if they thought it was worth it last season because they were a good team. They were better than a lot of teams despite having so many injuries. So you saw that callous in action, but you you you also saw it. You know cost the team uh in the end.
Speaker 2: Matt Barrows is the voice here this morning on the Umaguest line, and this conversation is sponsored by Redwood Credit Union for You for community for seventy five years, joined RCU today at Redwood CEU org and Matt. Since the last time we saw the forty nine ers on the field, they've made an addition bringing in Deebo Samuel over the weekend. Nineteen problems is back in the bay. What's been your scattering report of what's it been like for you seeing Deebo back on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looks like two thousand and in twenty twenty three. Deebo Samuel, he's wearing nineteen. He's taking handoffs out of the backfield, he's catching the short passes, lots of screens and you know, his physique looks good. And that's what that's what you're worried about with Deebo Samuel. That's Zeke can get out of hand very quickly. But like I said, remember the he was coming off of that twenty twenty two season, which wasn't a good year for him, and he went back and he watched the tape the following off season and he didn't like what he saw, and he came back inspired in twenty twenty three and he didn't have a twenty twenty one like season. That was his real breakthrough year, but it was better. So I think that that's the reasonable, you know, optimistic expectation for him is that he's back to that twenty twenty three form. And Tim Kalakami made this point, I don't want to want to steal it from him, but he noted that, you know, having Deebo Shamuel on the team aughta mean that they don't have to lean on Christian McCaffrey for a lot of the pass plays that they did last year. I remember early in the season, Christian McCaffrey was finishing with one hundred and fifty combined yards in like ninety five of those were receiving yards, and so a lot of the wear and tear, a lot of the touches that he took last year were uh, receiving touches. So I think that they're going into the season wanting to make sure that Christian McCaffrey is better preserved than he was a year ago. And we've all been thinking, oh, that's going to be related to calin Black. It's going to be related to Jordan James. I think it's also going to be related to Deebo Samuel. So the addition of Deebo Samuel helps the team in that regard as well.
Speaker 4: Matt third block of camp begins today, these these four day blocks and then an off day, and they've had the jog through practices. I saw you wrote about some of the early trends. It popped into my feed early early here.
Speaker 6: Doing this show.
Speaker 4: I was able to skim it what without giving it away because we obviously want people to go and read it the athletic But what has stood out to this point as some of the positive trends through the first.
Speaker 6: Couple of blocks, and what maybe is concerning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's not all bad news. I think that there are a couple of position groups that have stood out as real strengths, real real deep positions, and those are cornerback and linebacker. And I think the addition of Raheem Morris, who's a sort of a dB specialist throughout his career and also a guy who's whose teams have come up with a lot of interceptions at times, is really helping. I think he recognizes who his cornerbacks are, what their strengths are, and he's putting them in position to capitalize on those strengths. So those two positions look good. I mean, anytime you've got Fred Warner and Drake Greenlaw basically in the middle of your defense, it's going to be a better defense. There are some concerns though, and defensive end to me is just you know, sticking out like a sore thumb. That should be better in a few weeks when you know the Bosa is going full speed and Michael Williams might be uh coming back to practice. But it sort of exposes beyond them, just you know, the dearth of talent there. You know, none of these guys has has ever been a sack master beyond beyond Bosa. So I think that that's going to be another concern this year. Maybe Raheem Morris can sort of scheme the forty nine ers around that, but that's that's been a problem area. And the other problem area with with all these injuries, that they don't really have any camp competitions anymore. You know, most it's usually you know, they had maybe half a dozen going into camp, but you know, uh, in five of those instances the one of the guys were in one case both of the guys hurt. So that iron sharpened iron cliche you here all the time not really applying right now because that there's not a second piece of iron or sharp in the gains as far as the competition. So those are those are some of the themes that are a few more that I put forward. But I think that there's probably a little bit more positive going on than maybe. If you're a casual fan, you're you're picking up right now, Matt.
Speaker 2: Never a shortage of topics down in Santa Clara. We'll let you get back to work. We'll let you figure out your travel plans for week one in five weeks, and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Matt, all right, anytime guys talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Appreciate There. He is Matt Barrows from The Athletic. You can check out all of his latest articles at The Athletic or check them out on social media on Twitter as well. Matt Barrow's with great forty nine er coverage coming up next, We've got the cooler of content. Maybe you'll hear some sites in sounds from forty nine ers training camp and you will hear from Kevin to comparing the twenty seventeen Warriors to the twenty twenty six Philadelphia seventy six Ers. All that and more. Next in the Cooler of Content, it's Murph and Marcus with JD in this morning on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 5: All right, everyone till this is.
Speaker 6: The cooler he's been in.
Speaker 5: A cooler of content, corn capacious of joyful.
Speaker 4: News, might be honest time.
Speaker 1: Now back to murphin Marcus on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, it is the Murph and Market Show on a Wednesday morning minus Murph. Surprise, surprise, he's back on a back on vacation, which feels like another occasion. He's been on vacation for like five straight Fridays. He's off for the next couple days as well. He'll be back next week. So that means JD is taking a dip in the cooler of content, which of course is sponsored by in Health with top physicians, surgeons and clinicians right here in the North Bay. Marine Health puts you closer to your best health, world class care, closer than you think. And JD, We've got an interesting topic today. In the Cooler of Content, it's Kevin Durant forever Warrior, trying to maybe rewritee some Warriors history. I should say a lot of conversation going on about Lebron James and his decision to take his talents to Philadelphia, a lot of people comparing it to Kevin Durant joining the Warriors in twenty seventeen. Kd's got different takes here was KD just a couple of days ago, given his thoughts on the Philadelphia seventy six Ers having more twenty points scores than the Warriors did in twenty seventeen, and how the rest of the league and social media viewed it as a problem at the time, you know, like their contenders for sure.
Speaker 5: I'm a kid. You don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just asking you.
Speaker 7: Last time they play bought three twenty points scores on the team, they said it was unfair, which is the team?
Speaker 5: Ivison?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they got four twenty five point scores in the seat, So he goat that they will be a contender.
Speaker 5: Man, they will be a great team to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's no question that the seventy six ers are going to be a contender. I guess the question is, how do you compare it? To Kevin Durant joining the Warriors in twenty seventeen. Now KD is going roster versus roster on paper and comparing the total points per game for each of the players versus the overall resume in my opinion, because Kevin Durant did not stop there with the audio, he also went on social media to clap back. Maybe forgot the log out of his Burner account, or maybe he forgot the log into his Burner account and started taking shots at some of his former teammates, saying that Klay Thompson never an MVP candidate in nothing, Draymond Green fourteen points per game, seven rebounds, six to six, and Steph and Joel are essentially the same because they're both MVPs. Now, I think I disagree with all three of those statements because you can't compare this version of Joel Embiid to a unanimous MVP in Steph Curry. You also just can't look at the box score with Draymond Green because you know his impact is way bigger beyond the box score. And then to take a stray at Klay Thompson, who in his prime was arguably the best two in the entire league offensively and defensively. It's kind of weird to see Kevin Durant trying to kind of shape his own narrative to maybe take some of the heat off of him after he joined the Warriors team after his team lost a three to one series to the Warriors in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, Klay Thompson at that point was the ultimate robin. He may not have been the best robin in the league, but he was right up there. I mean, top three, top top two, top five, like however you want to categorize it. But I think and I agree with you, that the Sixers obviously immediately are contenders. But it's different because that Warriors team that Kadi joined was established. The seventy six Ers team is not established at all. It's a tremendous amount of unknowns. Embiid is a shell of his former self, which I'm with, you can't use this Steph comparison in that vein because we're not talking about twenty nineteen Joel Embiid.
Speaker 2: At this stage.
Speaker 4: Maxi is awesome and an All star, but at a budding superstar. But he has not accomplished anything in the game that to this point Steph and Clay hadn't accomplished in fairness there. And look, Jalen Brown's a Finals MVP, He's in that conversation to this point of his career. I think of being the ultimate Number two or the ultimate Robin. I think maybe the way things played out with Boston led people nationally to think that it was more of a one in a one A than it actually and I think, as we talked about earlier, that might have been part of why Boston was so willing to move on from Jalen Brown. But there are a lot of unknowns as to how these pieces, talented as they may be, will fit together with Philadelphia and Lebron joining that nix.
Speaker 2: That Warriors team was.
Speaker 4: Absolutely completely established in a rhythm, had won seventy three games, had won a title, already should have won a second title. Steph was a two time MVP unanimous in the seventy three and nine year and then they just dropped KD in the Harrison Barnes slot of the roster, and it was an absolutely seamless fit from a basketball standpoint. So yeah, that Warriors team, by far, in my opinion, is better than this Sixers team with Lebron getting dropped into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would absolutely agree with you. Now it's a different situation with this Sixers team not being able to play a game yet with Jaylen Brown. So we'll see how they look and how that all fits in. But this is a Sixers team that went forty five and thirty seven last year and lost in a second round of the playoffs.
Speaker 4: It goes back to the I think it was Dean Oliver, the analytics legend in basketball circles, who put out the number on social media of all of the usage of all of the individuals. And it was Maxi, and it was Embeied, and it was Lebron, and it was it was Jalen Brown. And the usage added up from last year with all of these guys individually to like one hundred and thirty percent. So that's thirty percent usage that's going to have to decline from somewhere, probably in some form or fashion, from all four.
Speaker 2: That's not easy to do.
Speaker 4: If you remember, I mean Draymond took a step back in terms of looking to try to score absolutely, and that was coming off of a year where Draymond was a thirty eight percent three point shooter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something to bring up a lot. Draymond was improving tremendously as a three point shoot until KD came in. Then he became became hesitant to shoot the ball because he shouldn't be shooting the ball when you have those scores on the team. And that kind of played out through the remainder of his career.
Speaker 4: He completely stopped focusing on scoring because they had other scoring And I don't know if you recall, you probably do. Do you remember what Klay Thompson said when KD came and he was asked about, you know, sacrificing or maybe taking taking a lesser role because of KD. He said, I ain't sacrifice in ish. Hmm, That's exactly what he said, Uh, in terms of, you know, hey, he gets the ball kicked to him, catch and shoot, and they wanted that at that point.
Speaker 6: It wasn't a selfish issue or anything.
Speaker 2: That was the system at the time.
Speaker 4: He was that good and that was the system and that was going to be his role. But basically the way and Steph at that point was the was the guy who I do think did take a minor step back, not that his numbers reflected. He was still uh, top two three in the game at that stage. If you recall it was it was Lebron and KD at that point that were sort of the best two in the game, and then Steph was right there as the third or the two A or the one C or however you want to categorize it at that point. But that team had it dialed. From a collaborative flow rhythm standpoint. It was just the perfect compilation of skill sets and offensive system. And oh, by the way, the defensive system was perfect two with all the switchability and the like. And then you drop Kevin Durant in there, and so you had a little bit more of the one on one ability of Durant when you needed it. But Durant, because he was so damn efficient in the mid range and so good in any system, like, he could just play in the flow for forty five minutes of a game and then in the last three minutes you could take the game over and win it if teams were going to try to take away Steph or take away somebody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was such a perfect fit at the time, and it resulted in championships and Kevin Durant winning finals MVP as well, but you still kind of have this narrative that Katie had to join the Warriors, and it feels like that narrative is still stuck in ahead of Katie, which is why he's trying to rewrite some of his history. It's where Klay Thompson responded on social media saying, hey, man, you good? Why you call me up by my government name?
Speaker 4: It just continues to seem, doesn't it like he doesn't have the fondest appreciation for the three years that he was here.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: No, he hates the fact that he doesn't get all the credit in the world and he's viewed as a ring chaser for joining this team after losing a three to one series that season.
Speaker 4: I think you're spot on with that, and I think he felt he didn't quite get enough of the credit for being the Finals MVP.
Speaker 2: In two of those years.
Speaker 4: And basically, I would bet internally as stacked as the Warriors were, And that's part of.
Speaker 2: This conversation and debate today.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be surprised if internally Durant is of the belief like, hey, we don't win either one of these if I don't come, and then the.
Speaker 2: Legacies of all these dudes are different, Yeah, which is wild to say. When they won before and after Kevin Durant, was there no doubt?
Speaker 4: And that's where twenty twenty two is the ultimate in terms of because it was. And I will admit fully that I often wondered, had Durant not come, would they have won another one? Like we know they won in fifteen, We know they lost in sixteen with the circumstances and Draymond's suspension and all of that. Would they have won another one seventeen eighteen nineteen had Kevin.
Speaker 2: Durant not come.
Speaker 6: I initially had leaned no.
Speaker 4: But it's funny when they went back and won in twenty two with a completely different team, essentially with Steph and Clay coming back off the injury in Draymond, that actually changed my opinion of seventeen eighteen nine.
Speaker 2: I think they probably would have gotten another one. Yeahsight, I'd say, to answer your QUI question, as Kevin Durant, he would say no, answer your question, would say no. To answer your question, as Draymond Green, he would say yes. And guess what. Draymond Green had a response yesterday on his podcast.
Speaker 5: You're Gonna Get This Pod?
Speaker 2: Here was Draymond Green on The Draymond Green Show, given his response on KT's latest comments comparing the Warriors in the Sixers or is it really a comparison, Draymond.
Speaker 7: Green, everyone's making a big deal out of kd's comments on Lebron joining the Sixers. KD said, the last time they put three twenty point scores on the team, they said it was unfair, which was the Warriors team I was on.
Speaker 5: The Sixers got four to twenty.
Speaker 7: Five point scores on this team, So hell yeah, I think they're going to be a contender number one.
Speaker 5: I think that's KD giving them their respect.
Speaker 7: Y'all make it as if kat was saying, oh, man, Lebron did the same thing KD did. When people try to negatively throw out there like oh he did what KD did, I don't really respect that.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 7: To understand his statement, though, you also have to understand the way kdview basketball.
Speaker 5: The way kdview basketball is very Uncle drewish.
Speaker 7: This game will and always will be about buckets.
Speaker 5: That's how Katie viewed the game.
Speaker 7: So when KAD said, Yo, they got four twenty five point scores, you have to understand that KD mind what that means that is how KDC the game, so he's going to mention it to twenty five point scores.
Speaker 5: He also said that the.
Speaker 7: Sixers are better on paper than the Warriors were in twenty sixteen seventeen. I don't know that I can agree with that. I don't really think it works, but that's Kd's opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it works either. Draymond Green, and I think those are two important things to kind of bounce off there. From Draymond Green's comments, He's right, it's not the same. Katie was in his prime in his mid twenties when he joined the Warriors. Lebron is now in his forties joining this Philadelphia team. The second opinion he had is about how Katie views a game of basketball. Uncle Drewish, it's all about buckets, young blood. The game is all about scoring. But no, it's not that simple, because going back to Katie's comparison on paper of this seventy six Ers team versus the Warriors team, you got to dive deeper than just a points per game. What we were just saying about the boss score, Draymond Green and the defensive ability of a Klay Thompson and hell, even the versatility of a guy like Andre Gudala.
Speaker 4: He's right, and and I think Draymond explains how KDE views it really well, and I think, I mean, it's spot on, But yeah, there is more to the game.
Speaker 6: Than than just buckets and just scoring.
Speaker 4: And it's it's fit in usage and flow and all of those things offensively, and then it's the ability to defend and come up with a system to play both ends. And and I also took similarly the way Draymond did the initial part of like I didn't think when I heard the KD clip that we played a couple of times that he was necessarily taken a shot at at the Warriors or at his time. But I think the follow up with the with the burner, you know that, and and Draymond joked about that as well on social media. But I think that that's when I thought, Okay, that that hit me a little bit a little bit different.
Speaker 2: And then even when you pile it on from his comment a couple of weeks ago about how Katie viewed the entire organization as like an underdog organization, which makes sense if you talk about pretty Steph Clay and Draymond but they've also turned into one of the best dynasties in the NBA, and they won before you got there, Katie totally.
Speaker 4: I also I also sort of give him the benefit of the doubt on the underdog organization comment, just based on I think it's it's you got to think of it in terms of Katie's perspective on the Warriors, when when he came into the league, and he came into the league, what the year after we believe and when he was still what a supersonic? Yeah, we tried one year as a supersonic exactly right, and so that was the year after we believe. So that's like in the you know what the the year were the Warriors won I think forty eight games and missed the playoffs after we Believe and then Baron Davis wanted out and then everything kind of fell apart. But I think Katie's perception of the Warriors growing up is that of anybody's perception of the Warriors growing up that's older than maybe the age of I don't know, thirty two.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, it's a lot different when we were showing up at Oracle and you gotta freek chalupa because I scored one hundred points.
Speaker 4: I Katie remembered those days, I think from being a kid growing up following the league, and then also I think remembered what they became after his rookie year and Seattle turned into Oklahoma City and the Warriors were back to being in a really bad way there nine, ten, eleven, twelve, all the way up until twenty thirteen when it started to flip with Steph Curry and Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now we're at the point where Kevin Durant is criticizing the twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen Warriors as well. Everybody's a critic, including NFL executives around the league. Yesterday, the Athletic and Mike Sando dropped their quarterback tier list, and there are still critics on Brock Party about being or should I say not being a top ten quarterback. We will react to the QB tier list before we check in with Blade Tidwell this morning at nine to fifteen forty nine or talk next. Let's rank those quarterbacks on the Sports Leader K andbr.
Speaker 1: B Sports Leader. Listen to V Sports Leader anytime anywhere. Download knbr V Sports Leader app murphin Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you just drop in?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 1: Eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 8: I think he's really established himself as an upper tier quarterback who is probably not going to go, you know, to into cheer one unless he were to really put it on his back and maybe do some things physically. You know, it's harder to do. But all the comments on him are pretty much positive. I think he's just he's had a career high number in this thing. Is votes for the best they've ever been. I don't, but I don't think anyone's saying he's necessarily going to go to A one. I think people still do give some credit, I think rightfully so to Kyle Shanan, who does a great job with the offense. But shoot, this is not a bad place to be. He's tied for eleventh with what is tied with Killer Williams. I believe m hm, And you know, you'd probably if I had to go with the next five games, I'd probably take Rock Purty.
Speaker 2: The voice of Mike Sando from The Athletic who joined Murph and myself yesterday right here on the Murph and Markie Show, and you are listening to cambyr AM and camby r FM, San Francisco, d Sports Leader, a Cumulus Media station, and JD. You know, we're getting closer and closer to the NFL season. Once Mike Sando drops his QB Tier list, it's one of the most popular articles that comes out every single year, not just because of how great of a rider Mike Sandowy is. It's because he pulls fifty total coaches and executives from around the league to get their thoughts and their opinions on the best quarterbacks in the league. And you just heard him give his thoughts on Brock Purty, who was ranked eleventh according to these fifty NFL coaches and executives. Now it's kind of a no brainer. When you look at this tier list. There's your usual suspects right at the top of the tier, your elite quarterbacks, your tier one quarterbacks, led by Patrick Mahomes, who is still considered the number one quarterback in the league despite having a bit of a down season and recovering from a knee injury himself. Number two, Josh Allen, the Kid out of Fireball California with the Buffalo Bills. Matthew Stafford the defending MVP at number three, actually tied at number two with Josh Allen, and then Joe Cool two point zero Joe Burrow. I apologie Joe Montana fans Joe Burrow at number four. That cuts off the first tier. Then you get into the Lamar Jackson Justin Herbert debate me personally, I think that Lamar Jackson could be considered a Tier one quarterback, but we're splitting hairs here. In the top ten Justin Herbert from the Chargers number six, Dak Prescott number seven, Drake May and Jared Goff tied at number eight, Jordan Love number ten. Then we get to your boy brock Party at number eleven, which I don't think is too unfair of a ranking, despite the fact that Murphy and I did our top ten quarterback rankings just a couple of weeks ago, and Murphy and myself both had brock Party at number nine in the NFL kind of in that same range. It feels like out after you get outside of tier one, you can kind of mix and match to your own personal preference where you rank Brock Party, but according to this survey, survey says he's right in the mix with Kayleb Williams, Jaden Daniels, Aker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Jordan Love, Jared golf In, Drake may your reaction to where brock Party was ranked in these QB tiers, I.
Speaker 4: Think it's about right in terms of the overall number. I would probably have him up a couple of spots.
Speaker 6: No real qualms with the tier one.
Speaker 4: I think that Lamar being on the fringe there and the top tier two quarterback is an indicator that maybe he's going to be on a little bit of a decline or some of the availability issues that have plagued him or maybe hurt his mobility which has been such a big part of his You know why he's so dynamic is a quarterback in addition to being able to make big plays with his arms. So Mahomes Alan Stafford Burrow, I like, and I think are accurate. Lamar certainly would be the next guy in that whether you want to put him, as you said, in one or tier two.
Speaker 6: Here's where it.
Speaker 4: Gets a little interesting for me, Like and this is so that's five? I think clear cut, yes, justin Herbert has got all the tools. Justin Herbert's got all the tools, he doesn't have the playoff success to this point. And I think in some ways he's having a is he having like an identical career to Philip Rivers.
Speaker 2: Pretty close great during the regular season, kind of disappears in the postseason and just yeah, and always viewed as higher than the overall team win lost success because he looks like a quarterback, he talks like a quarterback, and plays like a pretty damn good quarterback during the regular season. We just haven't seen that playoff success. We haven't seen that clutch gene that we've seen from other some of these other quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: So I'll even give the benefit of the doubt because of everything you said. Looks like a quarterback, talks like a quarterback, acts like a quarterback. The numbers kind of speak for themselves. As I like to say, the numbers are the numbers, whether you know the eye test been damned on that. So I'll even give Herbert as as clearly a tier two and it's fine if you want to put him at six. Where I start to think there's a legitimate debate is when you get into Dak Prescott, Drake May, Jared Goff, Jordan Love, Brock Purdy, and even Caleb Williams now because I think you could make the case, like, you know, there's a lot going on here, Like Dak has a lot of great regular season numbers in and of his own right, but again he, in a similar fashion to Herbert, has the lack of the playoffs success or the lack of overall team success that I think you know you would want to see. But again, how much of that is tied to quarterback play versus other factors and all of that, But I don't know, man, Like, if you wanted to tell me you'd put brock Perty ahead of Dak Prescott, I'd be fine with that, if you wanted to tell me you'd put brock Perty ahead of Drake May. Considering we're talking about one one great year to this point for Drake May, I think Perdy has done more for longer with that clearly, and also has made it to a super Bowl in addition to multiple playoff wins in multiple seasons at this stage. So and again that's where I feel like Perdy gets penalized unfairly for being paired with Kyle Shanahan specifically, So I also think Brought Perdy is better than Jordan Love. I think Jordan Love's the most overrated quarterback in the NFL at this point. I think he's good, not great. I think he's still kind of living off the back end of that twenty twenty three season when he ended up playing the forty nine ers and had the great game against Dallas, ended up playing the forty nine ers before the forty Niners came back and beat them. And then I think Caleb Williams is sort of on the ascent, and look, I get it, Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Trevor Lawrence, Jaye Hurt, Like, all these guys are in the same same tier, in the same tier, So it's not necessarily an argument about level of play.
Speaker 6: But I think Party to me feels more like coming in.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have had an issue if you wanted to put Caleb Williams given the year he had on par or closer to Rock Party. But both of those guys may be ahead of some of these others. And then I think Jared Goff is the ultimate in system and everything has to be right, even more than Brock Purty.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, I mean because we saw Jared Goff take a step last year when Ben Johnson left to go coach Caleb william with the Chicago Bears. So when I did my top ten lists, I had Brock Party and Caleb Williams both ranked above Dak Prescott, Drake May, Jared Goff, and Jordan Love. Like I had Brock Party at number ten, I think I had Caleb right around seven or a because I do think that he's on the rise. Dak Prescott. I thought Matt Mayoko had the perfect line the other day, so that might be the most overrated but also most underrated quarterback in the league. And I think he does have some really good talent. I also think there's some flaws. I think Dak Prescott has taken a step back since he had that ankle injury a couple of years ago, not as mobile as he used to be. You look at the mobility of Brock Purty, you look at the playoff success. That's why I have Brock ranked a head of Jordan Love, ranked ahead of Jared Goff, ranked above Drake May, who I think after one outlier season where the Patriots had the softest schedule in the NFL. I'm surprised to see him in the top ten. Dak Prescott, seems like you're still gonna get that love from all the Cowboys fans out there. Blah blah blah. But it is interesting what you say. A lot of people still hold Kyle Shanahan against the brock Party argument, but they also hold his draft stock against him, like that's what Mike Sandels said, Like, these are all NFL executives and coaches that had the opportunity to draft brock Party and they let him fall to the final draft pick. He's mister Irrelevant. So it still seems like there's people who don't want to validate that they were wrong about passing on brock Party, and maybe they just can't believe what they're seeing something that we've now seen for five seasons here in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: And it is interesting too because I think the overarching point, and Sando would tell you the overarching thing is the tier and not the specific number, because all of these guys in this tier are essentially equal, right, It's or the level at which can be adjusted by one year up and down. So prety tier two, he wasn't tier two last year. Party ranks tied for eleventh with with Caleb Williams. He was fourteenth last year, so he actually moved up all right, moving three spots, and then his his voting average improved as well. I guess he was a two point two eight, which, obviously, given the formula that he uses, puts him in the you know, clearly in the twos.
Speaker 2: Two points to eight sounds like my my GPN high school. And obviously you want to have a lower you want to yeah, derease JD. Yeah, you want to have a well in this, you want to have a lower number. Yeah, I'm trying to get ineligible, That's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 4: So his his average improved by h went from two point four to six to two point two eight, So eighteen hundreds of a of an addition there.
Speaker 2: So my junior year, it's my senior year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think two point four to six to two point seven two.
Speaker 2: Then I'm dropping I'm dropping down JD.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: I just think I would have done the ranking a little bit differently. But I do think, you know, to not have the rage that I think a lot of forty Niner fans do when stuff like this comes out. I do think he is appropriately tiered, but I'm sorry, like I think there's a case to be made about him and Dak. I would put him ahead of May, I'd put him ahead of goth at this stage, I'd put him ahead of Love. I think, you know, Caleb Williams had one year, Jayden Daniels had one year, so i'd put him ahead of both of those, which he is. I think, you know again, he's ahead of Baker, He's ahead of Darnold, He's ahead of Lawrence, which I think is all fair and appropriate.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like coming into this year, he probably should be eight or nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's exactly where Murphy and I had him in both of our rankings, two different lists, both had him as the ninth best quarterback in the league. And we'll see if he can lead the forty nine ers back to the Promised Land. But coming up next, we'll talk about the future of the San Francisco Giants with last night starter Blade Tidwell makes his Camyard debut. We'll talk all things Giants baseball with Blade Tidwell next on The Sports Leader