Speaker 1: All right, we are now joined on Sportsphone KMBR by the one and only Max Miller, the man behind Sharks Hockey Digest, and of course he also covers the Sharks for NHL dot Com.
Speaker 2: Max. What's going on, man, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm good. I'm not the Congressman, so I'm feeling good today.
Speaker 1: You had to add that in right off the bat, which is important. We've got much better stuff to talk about. Let's start with the big new contract for Maclin Celebrini and maybe we should back it up to the whole offer sheets situation with Leo Carlsin. Do you think that in any way impacted what happened with Macklin since he did go less than the twenty percent he could have gotten, or was that just an interesting little sidebar that may have, you know, changed the way things are viewed in the NHL along the way to Macklin getting his deal done.
Speaker 3: I think it changed a little bit. I think it pushed the price up a slightly.
Speaker 4: You know, I think instead of maybe like an maybe him getting eighteen or seventeen eight whatever's more than Coroka priz Off, the original highest paid you're in the NHL before the Leo Carlson offer sheet.
Speaker 3: I think it pushed the price up a little bit, but at the end of the day, I also.
Speaker 4: Don't think he was ever going to take the max. I mean, he's You've spoken with him.
Speaker 3: I've spoken with him.
Speaker 4: He's not a guy that strikes you as I want to have all the money the equivalent of an NBA Super Max.
Speaker 3: No, he's a guy who wants to give them.
Speaker 4: You know, some flexibility may seem high now, but look, I mean it doesn't kick in until the twenty seven to twenty eight season, and.
Speaker 3: By then it's probably already to discount. So it's it's I think.
Speaker 4: It pushed the price up, if you maybe a million or two. Maybe maybe it could be even as much as eight hundred thousand. But I don't know if it was a ton of influence, but it definitely did impact it a little bit.
Speaker 1: I will say that, yeah, most what was your reaction to that offer sheet situation? Was that just a little bit of bad blood between those two franchises?
Speaker 2: How did you view it?
Speaker 3: Well? If any canby our listeners are listening from the last time I.
Speaker 4: Was on air, that dropped when Dieter and I were on the air together, and we both were kind of left speechless of fun.
Speaker 3: I was texting with Dieter, I was like, I can't believe that just Haven on the air.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, I was pretty stunned. But I mean, good for good for the Flyers. If you want to go get somebody on an offer sheet, that's the way to do it.
Speaker 3: And made the Ducks squirm a little bit. For Sharks fans, that's kind of fun to think about making your rivals squirm a little bit. Well.
Speaker 1: I also, not to get too far away from the Macklin situation, but the whole way the Ducks have gone about their off season have been really curious about what their long term plan is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like the Ducks have had a tough off season, right. Jacob Trueba now a San Jose Shark.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like they didn't want him either, right, I don't.
Speaker 4: I think they wanted him, just not at the price point he was able to get on the open market, right. I mean, technically he went from a cap casualty from the New York Rangers to the Ducks to being paid more on a per year basis with the Sharks.
Speaker 3: So you know, you give and take a little bit.
Speaker 4: There and and you look at the rest of their offseason, right like the Leo Carlson offer sheet, and then they match it. Now you likely have to make a trade or two to clear off some space you have to fit in. Cutter Gachier, who is Will Smith's one of his good friends from Boston College. Like they're little, they're a little strangled, right, they're looking for answers right now after a team that is expected to start to contend, right they made the second round of the playoffs this past year, and he would think after that first year, getting back and you're like, all right, it's win championship window open time, and I.
Speaker 3: Feel like it. It didn't shut all the way for the Ducks, but it definitely closed a little bit more than I think they were ready for.
Speaker 1: It changed most definitely back to Macklin. We saw what he could do last year, but he was essentially fifty percent of the Sharks offense. How much do you think his ceiling can go up with the guys around him being better and just the team being better. Because I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, and I think it's really weird to be like, oh man, but think about.
Speaker 2: How better he could be.
Speaker 1: He's like, guys, he just set the franchise record for points in a season, which was held by Joe Thornton, Like, let's all.
Speaker 2: Calm down it.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I mean, you probably saw the spin in Chicklets clip yesterday as not talking about him being Sidney Crosby two point zero.
Speaker 2: And you know he does all the dirty work.
Speaker 1: He has such a you know, dogged determination out there on the ice, Like I don't know, and again it sounds crazy and almost unappreciative, but I truly don't know if we have seen close to his ceiling.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think we have.
Speaker 4: I mean, you think about the rookie year, like, whoa, this guy's a superstar, and then he explodes more than anybody's ever expecting.
Speaker 3: In year two, whoa, this guy's even more of a superstar. So he did that at nineteen. He's twenty. I mean he's still getting stronger.
Speaker 4: I mean, in the press conference, is in my career they're yelling at him to get off the ice already, Yeah, because they need him to take a break. That's not gonna happen. That's just not who Macklin celebrin. He is with the team being better around him. I think that only brings good things. I think it's going to be a wonderful time to be a Santjersey Sharks fan because you're gonna get a top five player in the league already who is still growing and likely going to become a top two to three player in the league in could be as soon as next year. It's hard to predict what his what his ceiling is going to be. I don't know if he actually has one, because every year could be different. We see one year Conorc David scores sixty goals, the next year he is andresists right like who knows? Who knows what's gonna happen, Like he could just change the way he plays as much as he wants. He can manipulate the game however he wants. So it's gonna be interesting to see how the rest of the team helps him with his overall offensive numbers. But I also think that'll help him push more offensive numbers because if the defense is better around him, both forwards and defense the actual positions, there's less work for.
Speaker 3: Him to do.
Speaker 4: Meaning if he gets the puck more and he has more energy, watch out because he's gonna score more points.
Speaker 3: That's how you win hockey games.
Speaker 1: Well this year with now and we'll get into this with more detail in a moment here, but with the additions of Marchments, of Truba of Nurse, it feels like they'll have more puck possession as well, which was not the Shark strong point last year. Like it felt oftentimes they were in with one attempt and then quickly going back the other direction. If that changes to where they can control the pace game a little bit more than everything improves, but we'll get to that in the moment. I did want to get to the calling graph extension because I feel like he like an Igor Turner shop for two guys who are just below the radar of where Macklin and Will Smith are in this next generation of Sharks, but they should probably be higher. We haven't seen much of Turni shop, but I think people are going to be very pleased by what he turns into. But Colin Graft, considering the fact that he was undrafted, which for people who don't know, he grew like six or seven inches from his draft year size to where he is now, and again his defensive instincts, his ability on the kill he got over twenty goals last year. I think this is a player who the Sharks got a really good deal on and I think and I hope that he proves that he needs more along the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something where he is underappreciated but appreciated at the same time.
Speaker 4: Like what he did did the Sharks last year was incredible and he scored one populay goal. He had two shortthand goals or a need more short end goals.
Speaker 3: They need to power play goals.
Speaker 4: He's not going to get much proper play time, especially now with the additions that they brought in so well, I'm really interested to see where collingdraft plays to start the year and when you when you go from you know, playing with maclin and Will to playing with the third line or fourth line. Something that Colin actually said in his press competition today that that's one of the things why he thinks the Sharks really like him is because he could play up and down anywhere, and so at that price point with what he provides regardless of the offense, I think it's a good contract.
Speaker 3: Now that price point does mean he needs to produce.
Speaker 4: Probably around the same just about every year. But you know, I think he's going to be really solid piece. I mean, he's had that night and that major growth for it that he mentioned, and he's just going to be a really solid player.
Speaker 3: And he came at a good price point. And I love the three year term.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of discourse online at people saying why didn't they go longer?
Speaker 3: Why didn't he go longer? I'm sorry, three years? So they think it's perfect.
Speaker 4: He's had one full year in the NHL, so he's kind of still unproven. Can you do it on a consistent basis? At the end of this contract, he's still under team control for another year. So if you go to four years, you walk them right into unrestricted free agency, and that's not ideal. Right, you look at the Macklin contract. You buy one year of his unrestricted free agency, so three years you get to see where he's at. You can give him a chance to get paid again, and you can see if he's a consistent player.
Speaker 3: Because if the one thing.
Speaker 4: That confuses me is, you know, people say, well they wanted long term, not to diss on tug Wilson in the old regime, but the long term contracts is what got the Sharks into the rebuild. Eight years for Lastic, eight years for couture, eight years for Hurdle, eight years for jump like all these things. It's like those don't age well. Now these players are much younger. But the new way of doing contracts is not a seven eight year contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, although I'm sure if the Sharks could have locked up math them for a decade or something like that, done another fifteen year deal like we did back in the day, that may have changed things. But let me ask you about Will Smith, because he's now the one that's out there that people are kind of wondering and waiting if that gets finished this summer. Do you think the front office wants to finish it before the season starts, or they may be wanting him to go out there and show a little bit more. I mean, I think Will has been great, but I also think that they probably want him to be a little bit more physical in his game and a little bit more aggressive. But you know, I feel like they want to get it done before the season starts and not have it looming.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think both sides are gonna want to get it done. I don't know if there's any rush to get it done right. Will Smith is a very cool cat like he Macklin, you know my career talked about how Maclin didn't want the contract discussions to become a distraction. I think there's gonna be so much going over with the Sharks that Will Smith's contract negotiations, if it goes into the season.
Speaker 3: Are going to fade to the background.
Speaker 4: They'll pop up every now and again be like, well, remember he could be a restricted free But I don't think that's going to be distraction for Will I don't think that's going to be a distraction for the Sharks.
Speaker 3: It's not Macklin's Labrini level concern.
Speaker 4: And I think I think both sides recognize that, you know, based off what Mike Greer said and things like that. But you know, I think both sides would love to get done. I'm interest to see where the term comes in. One thing that in talking with other people around the league, just you know, chatting about the offseason is you know, people say that Will Smith and Mcisallabrini attach the hit that makes me immediately think that he'll sign for five years, that Will.
Speaker 3: Smith was signed for five years. But in talking with.
Speaker 4: People, it's like, well, maybe they want to sign them for six or four stagger them pay them for a little bit different so you can spread out the cap.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, that's a good idea and think about that.
Speaker 4: So I think both sides would love to get something done before the season starts, just you know, they get to where they need to get and they get it done.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 4: If not, I don't see Leo crosson situation where Will Smith is saying no, I don't want to talk with you during the season.
Speaker 3: I think I think Will Smith still does continue to.
Speaker 4: Talk during the season, and I think if it gets to a point where it gets close to the playoffs they still have a contract. That's when they say, all right, we're going to focus on the playoffs right now. But I really think that that the Sharks will.
Speaker 3: Really get this done. If it gets done, I think it'll get done close to training camp.
Speaker 1: We look at some of the acquisitions the Sharks have made in recent memory, Keith for sure, what Mason Marchman, Jacob Truba, Darne Nurse. This is a team that now has a lot of grits in their game and toughness juxtaposed with the you know, the skill guys of Macklin and Will Smith and Igor Turnershoffo. I think g has a little bit of both because he's got a big, big frame about him. So a what do you think that tells us about how the Sharks you're going to present? Also, and I want your thoughts of this. Where in the lineup does Tyler to fully currently fit? Because that's the big question I have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, One, they love their size, except for probably Luca Kenyoni, but they love their size and that's been evident since my Greer took over. I mean their first draftic was Philippe Staid, who we haven't seen excuse me in the NHL just yet, but you know that guy was six foot three out of the draft. So Mason Marchman six to five, Trueba's six 's eight. I think he's actually listened like six', three But Darneld nurse is six foot, Four Mark Michael keshering six foot. Five like they've got all these big, PLAYERS i, Mean marchman's, Big stenberg is still, Growing wenberg's. Tall you Know smith And. Macklin so these guys are. Puny why would? Puny but they're, strong but they're not the same. Height so it's very interesting to see what they're going with skill and size and. Ego chernershov you mentioned is a big but when it comes To tyler To, fully it's kind of weird because he's been such a good, soldier which is weird to say because he's been on the team for two, years but that that decline in production last year kind of maybe through a wrench into things in some of my line. PROJECTIONS i think it's hard to put him on the fourth, line BUT i feel like he's gonna start in the bottom, six the third or fourth. LINE i, mean the foot speed was a concern last. YEAR i do think he was bothered by. Something the majority of the. Year he did not look like the Regular tyler To, fully to the point of just general age, decline there was something. More it felt like it felt like too sharp of a. Decline, now could it have been regular, decline, yes and this year will be the telling of. It BUT i truly the way he, played the way he practiced. It he never practiced a ton in your, one you always got to, quick but it just seemed like he really wasn't practicing a lot at all last, year and the games were really physical and tight last, Year SO i think it was a lot of high intensity.
Speaker 3: Game SO i think he plays on the third or fourth.
Speaker 4: LINE i think he gets on the second power play, unit AND i think he stays there for the majority of the year in that second power play. Unit he's a soldier, who before we saw maclum become what he is, now was likely going to be the captain IF i had to. Guess BUT i Think macklin's the captain. Now you can't not make him the. Captain, Yeah so it's not a guy that you healthy. Scratch it's not a guy that you. Trade obviously he's got the trade. Protection BUT i think he's a bottom six forward who if he gets, hot can play with anywhere up and.
Speaker 2: Down he line him and he's still on the power play, right one of the two. Units, YEAH i.
Speaker 3: Think he's on that second unit for.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah which that to me is an interesting look from last year because last, year AND i understand, why but they just kept the first unit out about a minute, thirty minute forty and then the second unit got one. Shift AND i, LISTEN i get, it And maclin's hard to get off the ice in these. Situations BUT i remember how Good washington's first and second power play units were during their, prime and to have the ability to roll two power play units with that much talent is devastating and makes you. SO i, MEAN i know that the top unit For edmonton and how good they've been in recent, memory BUT i also remember how important it is to have two units that can just be.
Speaker 4: Deadly, yeah having two unions that could be, deadly meaning if one's not, going you can just start the other.
Speaker 3: One and the way The sharks just set up now With Michael.
Speaker 4: Mesa t'aring your Showf Stenburg wenberg so only it's like the depth there is. Great now he is who's gonna run each? UNIT i think kenyone is gonna start the year at the first. Unit The sharks have been looking for A pp one quarterback on THE i shouldn't say, quarterback HAVE pp one point, man because the quarterback is gonna be Mack On celebreni on the point And kenyoni has shown.
Speaker 3: The best ability to do.
Speaker 4: It i'd love to see the leash get taken Off Sam dickinson to play some, offense both power play and five on. Five let him run the second unit by, himself put him With Michael misa if he's not on the first. Unit Stenburg weenberg turns up whoever you want to put him with and let him run five on five and power play ON pp two and if you need to make a, change you swap the. Two but you can't just run the top unit non stop for a minut and a, half especially if you Run kenyoni And dickinson on the Power play at the.
Speaker 3: Points because both of them need. Time so why not be.
Speaker 4: Able to give the first unit a, minute five, minute ten, minute fifteen and the other unit hopefully after a draw or easy break, in you get the second unit of full forty five seconds to a minute on the power play, right like you're. Not it's hard because you are going to leave Macln celabrini on the Power play as long as, possible and with his aerobic, capacity he could play five minutes if he needed, To so it's hard to balance. It but sometimes you gotta pull the string and say it's not working. Now the other THING i want to say in theower, PLAYS i want to see maclan Shoot. Moore, yeah like he loves to fake one time or step in the, middle like he's got a great one. Timer i'd like to see him use it, more AND i think we will because it's just another level of his. Game so he's gonna find every level that is the next level of his game and make it superstar.
Speaker 1: Level do you think that message has been delivered to Both maclin And, will, like, hey stop deferring to each.
Speaker 2: Other, Shoot, yes.
Speaker 3: CONSTANTLY i think that is that is constantly the. MESSAGE i think they know it. Too but they get eyes, wide bushy, tailed and, like, oh this could be so. Cool AND i don't think they're thinking in the moment this could be.
Speaker 4: COOL i really think the, moment they're, thinking this could be a great play for us to score a.
Speaker 3: Goal SO i think they get a little.
Speaker 4: Too they know they have chemistry and they force it a little. BIT i look At, Careerca friesov And Matts, zugarello who's now A Los angeles. King those guys love to pass to.
Speaker 3: Each other a.
Speaker 4: Lot and there was concerns this year that If zucarrello resigned With wild would he.
Speaker 3: Being able to produce Without kaprisov on his. Line so we've seen both, people Both maclin And will produce not in each other's.
Speaker 4: Line it's just the best case scenario when they, are SO i definitely think they want to make sure everybody's involved and keep things, guessing because you want to be predictable to a, sense especially in the power, play but you can't become too predictable because then everybody's just gonna read the exact player.
Speaker 3: Running.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no very well said, again we've Got Max miller joining us here on sports phone K. Nbr there was a little bit of a REACTION i was surprised by with fans when The sharks Signed, truba when they signed March, met when they traded For Darnell, nurse AND i thought it was really funny that the money was the, issue and then my career in the press conference was, like, yeah we we ran the, Numbers we're gonna be. Okay BUT i was a little bit surprised that fans were so hesitant about The sharks spending because they have specifically not spent for so.
Speaker 2: Long they've been very.
Speaker 4: Patient it was damned if you do damned if you don't like, It, like, really are you are you going to upgrade the.
Speaker 3: Defense or are you going to? Resign?
Speaker 4: Now, look Mar, ferraro this is a biggest, example AND i don't want to diss him or make him feel.
Speaker 3: Slighted he was a great shoulder for a great you. Know, so LIKE i, said it's a great soldier for The.
Speaker 4: Sharks Mario ferra got three years at four million a pop with The Winnipeg. Jets i'm gonna be, honest there's a reason why he only got four, million because the reaction, was oh my, god if he was that, cheap why didn't we get?
Speaker 3: Him, look, yeah there are. Two there are two schools.
Speaker 4: Of THOUGHT i had with this and WHY i think they spent a little more than They not that they had to because free agency push his numbers, up but more than maybe people were.
Speaker 3: Expecting is. One Maria ferrra was a great.
Speaker 4: Soldier you're trying to change the full on culture. Here Mario ferrara is still part of that old guard that never made the. Playoffs, now would it have been great to make the playoffs with him and probably could have with the defense with him, here, Yes but if you're doing a complete facelift of culture change that Includes Mario.
Speaker 3: Ferraro on my.
Speaker 4: Mind the other part of it is the ability and the thing that you AND i have mentioned, before the puck possession and the passing and the. Breakouts that Was Mario farrow's biggest. Flaw he couldn't break the puck out. Cleanly it was always a, flipout a chip. Out great penalty, killer great shop, blocker great leader in the. Room but from what The sharks are trying to do from an one, perspective they're getting in true A Nurse Kessel ring and bringing in you, Know Sam digson and we'll See Luca. Kanyone that Wasn't Marian, ferraro that Wasn't Vincent darna was the true bad contract to slight overpay in my, Mind, yeah but you can live with it because the actual dollars go down in two.
Speaker 3: Years you bring In Darnell. Nurse is he nine million dollar? Defenseman? No but is he a seven million dollar? Defenseman?
Speaker 4: Probably and you get him out of you get him out of a market Like, edmonton which is cupp or bust every, year high. Pressure all, this we've seen him be able to play a solid. Play is he gonna be a number one defense in THE. Nhl, no he never has, Been but he's gonna have me and you talking to.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 4: Now nothing against, us but we're not as intense as The edmonton.
Speaker 3: Media we're.
Speaker 4: Intense for, sure we're, gonna you, know if he does something, bad we're gonna grill.
Speaker 3: Him but the market.
Speaker 4: Here In San jose is much more, forgiving is much more supportive than What edmonton was at at the end of his tenure. There AND i think a fresh start In nurse's situation will help.
Speaker 3: Him and that's the guy who you can skate a puck.
Speaker 4: Forward and if you can skate a puck forward and pass it to MACLAN celgreni at the red, line he's going to have more energy to break in the zone rather than have to go in and body check at the Time Jacob trubaugh on the, Defense eve end to get the puck away to then play. Offense there's gonna be more energy and there's gonna be more offensive production because the puck is getting past to, them not flipped to them to fight.
Speaker 3: For and when you compound, everything that's what.
Speaker 4: The biggest improvement of The sharks team is going to, be because they're going to hold the puck. More when they hold the puck, more they're dangerous because they have such offensive weapons at their four.
Speaker 1: Cores the team defense was not always great in front of Either shark's goalie last, Year but how much have the additions maybe changed some of the dynamic For Rsov askrof to be able to be more like what we saw him from in the month Of november when he had like a nine to forty six a, percentage when he was lights, out when he was every bit of the prospect he was touted to be coming From nashville or is the rest of the, year you, know sometimes they would go under his. Wing that was kind of his weak. Spot that was something that was clearly. Identified AND i think that The sharks have the ability to correct these. Things BUT i think that throughout the year it was kind of, Like, okay why Is askroff not like he was? Previously and there's a million, reasons BUT i just saw like the team, Defense i'm not just going after the blue, liners but. Everyone it was just like you saw guys not marking, guys not going after. Guys sometimes they were screamed like it was there was a clear way to score against The.
Speaker 4: Sharks, yeah and, look let's be, honest like there was some goals That askrov needed, back but it's.
Speaker 2: True first full year in THE nhl.
Speaker 3: Too that was my next. POINT i think going to last, year you played the THIRTEEN nhl games. Total like goalies in THE nhl take a long time to.
Speaker 4: Develop askrov is twenty. Three people, LIKE i know he's, married but he's only twenty. Three but when you look at his, season that month Of november beginning In december shows you the peak of What yarisovaskrov can. Be no goalies ever going to stay at that peak for sixty.
Speaker 3: Games have made plenty a.
Speaker 4: Year having the team defense in front of him will help him not get as many high quality shots.
Speaker 3: Against it may help it keep his confidence.
Speaker 4: Higher AND i also to, think like you mentioned that first full year in THE, nhl like this guy's Really like the SENSE i, got especially at the start of the year before he turned it, on was that he was really pushing because he was, LIKE i have to prove a. Point you, KNOW i requested a trade to get out of there financial. Path here it IS i have.
Speaker 3: To be the number one. Goalie and you get all these things in his head at a twenty.
Speaker 4: Three year, old like he could, say you, Know i'm, Cool i'm not thinking about. That but he may not be thinking about the, moment but his performance. Might he looked like he was forcing it a little. Bit he's trying to do too much and you won't you Hear. Goales you, know quiet in the crease is a very good. Thing astrob was not quiet in that crease last, year partly because of his, himself BUT i also think a lot of it was because the defense was creating chaos in front of him that they couldn't. Prevent like the way to get The sharks defense out of trouble is to get them running. Around you lose organization, defensively you play offense running, around no, problem that's the best way to play. Offense you just freestyle. Go you get a defense with no collective unit or a, plan you're in trouble and the goalie has no idea what he's looking at in front of. Him so then the brain starts. Going you're, Thinking, okay this might. Happen then you start thinking two steps. Ahead SO i think another year in the league will slow him down and improve defense in front of. Him with WHAT i just, mentioned the puck, possession he doesn't have to worry. About let's Say Darnald nurse gets the puck and he flips out to the red line and the defense can't change in the second.
Speaker 3: Period they're already tired because they just flip the puck. Out now they're running.
Speaker 4: Around now you can pass the puck, out or you get to the red you can. Dump you could dump it in for not an icing and change like that'll help him more than he can.
Speaker 3: Reset he doesn't have to start, Thinking.
Speaker 4: Okay what DO i do when they come back in because there's more possession forward and the overall ability of defense in front of him is, improved like. Significantly truba is a, Defender nurses a good, defender Keester ring's a, defender Or love we've seen can. Defend and another Year Sam dickinson, right, like the defense in front of, him the ability to get the puck away from the opposing team is significantly higher than where it.
Speaker 3: Was that and all of that.
Speaker 4: Stuff will help him And Auxton, dakovic who had some moments as.
Speaker 1: Well do we think that the overall design of The San Jose sharks will allow them to finally be able to compete against teams that pushed them around Like vegas In vegas like that was the. Thing it was, Like, yeah The sharks have the, skill but they get pushed around Against vegas and. Previously washington was one of those teams that actually Beat washington last, year but you could when they played the big heavy, teams it was definitely a. OOH i am very aware of what this team's weakness.
Speaker 4: Is, yeah AND i look AT i look at games Against, PHILLY i look at games Against, boston, right they won those games.
Speaker 3: In philly And.
Speaker 4: BOSTON i, BELIEVE i believe they won In, philly and then they won In boston as. WELL i, mean obviously The William ecklin. GOAL i mean that's a big heavy. Team boston was built as a big heavy. Team they didn't have as much skill up front for The. Sharks that skated them and outskilled, them they didn't beat them in. Physicality vegas has, speed, skill and physicality and, goaltending and when you look at that as a, team The sharks could not Get pete with a team that had all four phases, physicality, speed, skill. Goaltending hopefully The sharks get the goaltending part and matchup match up. There Cassel ring is, big, true is, Big nurses, Big marchman's.
Speaker 3: Big Like i've said these names.
Speaker 4: A, ton AND i look at an answer That mikero, SAID i asked him at the end of free. Agency If Luka canyon to make the, team he said he likes his odds, right but they also feel that they've insulated him with size around, him and that is a big deal because they clearly like the way to play defense THE nhl this year is be a tree trunk and be able to, skate and The sharks got.
Speaker 3: That troubeau of that.
Speaker 4: Nature is not the best of, skater but he's very physical and we've seen his physicality The trouper train and although the foot speed isn't, great he can move the, pack he can shoot a, pack he can be, physical he gets in the, way he rarely.
Speaker 3: Pulls himself out of.
Speaker 4: Position my only concern is if the footspeed gets him into total.
Speaker 3: Trouble but if you put him with a guy Like Sam, dickinson you put him with a guy.
Speaker 4: Like luka canone who can skate and make up for, IT i think it'll be in good. Shape you Get nurse And Castle ring Or nurse and or lov right, like you've got size and veteran and the ability to have quality defense and size to protect drives to the, net which was very easy against The sharks last year and good things will.
Speaker 3: Happen and it all goes back.
Speaker 4: To if you prevent you, know think of a home plate from the top of the crease to the hash marks and in the center of the ice in front of The shark's. Net that's called you, know that's called the house in, hockey, right draw it exactly like a home.
Speaker 3: Plate The sharks gave up a lot of chances from that.
Speaker 4: Area having this size and having the skill will not only prevent players from not just getting, in but they can get the pot from them as they don't get in and move it up the. Ice and those two things as a whole defensively.
Speaker 3: Are going to be great things for The.
Speaker 1: Sharks by the, way that reminds ME i got to text you to get your takes on the decline of one. VOLPEY i do want one final one with, you, though and that Is. Stenberg what do you think of all the talk, that, oh HE'S nhl right, now HE'S nhl, Ready he's read, LIKE i understand, That BUT i also know that other than maclan Celebrinian Will, smith the two other high profile rookies The sharks have, had you, know Even Will smith's saw sometime taken away and we don't know If macklin's maybe narrative was changed because he missed twelve games after game number one in his rookie. Season we know that for a variety of, Reasons dickinson To misa were not in every game last.
Speaker 2: Year what do you expect to happen with A?
Speaker 4: Stenberg, YEAH i you, Know, LOOK i think he's A hl, Ready, LIKE i think that's, it That's.
Speaker 3: Manton, NO i do think he's in. It you're. Ready he's played against men In. Sweden but the part THAT i, THINK i don't know.
Speaker 4: If it's gotten out of, hand but the part THAT i tell people's temper, expectations, Right, yeah when McDavid came into the, league When matthews came in the, league it's that's what a rookie looks.
Speaker 3: Like, no those guys are special. Cases, yeah those guys are special. Cases Will smith didn't look like. That Michael lisa didn't look like. That Sam dickinson didn't look like.
Speaker 4: That Eagle cherishov looked like that for a little, bit but then he tapered.
Speaker 3: Off. Right So STENBERG i think will start as a third line.
Speaker 4: WINGER i think he's A i think like we Love william ecklind one suite in for another suite.
Speaker 3: OUT i Think.
Speaker 4: ECKLUND i Think senberg takes excellent stall right next To Alex, wenberg AND i think he plays on his wing. Too wenburg has found such a beautiful home. Here and If Michael misa takes the second line center Spot, Wenburg stenberg and Maybe marchmint or To foley or whoever you want as a third line, winger how about That you put March, Mint wenberg And stenberg. Together you got two veterans who ARE nhl, tested battle, ready have been far in the. Playoffs big bodies, too who can protect their young. Guy you get a guy Like marchmant there who isn't known for his physicality or fighting and things like, that but he's.
Speaker 3: Got an edge to his. Game he'll stand up for his teammate and it's just his.
Speaker 4: Fit let him grow into the league, slowly put him on the line where you maybe get the easier. Matchups and it's nice because When macklin came, in he's your first second line.
Speaker 3: Center he's getting those top matchups every.
Speaker 4: Time now he's taking the top matchups away from guys Like Michael misa he's taking the top matchups away From Ivar stenberg And Alex. Wenberg those guys are going to get better. Matchups they're going to have easier. Matchups they're still gonna be, hard but if you Let stenberg grow in and gain confidence quickly instead of throwing him right into the fire because you're so insulated with top heavy, talent he's DEFINITELY nhl, ready more than Probably Maclin celebrini because his matchups are going to be. Easier he's going to be better slotted for development in THE, nhl and THE nhl is not a development. League but when you Have, Macklin celebrini And Michael misa hopefully in that second line, spot even if he's, Not Michael moosa on the third line with, him easier matchups Because maclin And will are going to take so much, attention the ability to Place stenburg lowering in the line up at least to start the year is going to do wonders for him because THEN i think eventually he jumps up AND i think he plays With Mackland, celebrini and we'll see if and when then.
Speaker 3: Happens it may not even be this entire.
Speaker 4: Year but slowly bringing him, in but letting him experience THE nhl IS i think the right way to do, it because the only thing that he really needs to adjust is the size of the. Rank sweden's rink is a lot, bigger but he said in development camp he likes the smaller, rink and Most swedes do because their skill is already so tightly. Compact they get around quicker because the defense is on them. Quicker they don't have to take three extra strides to get by them from the. Board SO i think he's an h, already AND i think they're gonna bring him in a.
Speaker 3: Nice cozy little spot of success on the third line or second line to start the.
Speaker 2: Year Max Miller Sharks Hockey. Digest thank you so. Much.
Speaker 1: MAX i appreciate your. Time you've been very generous with. IT i know you've got stuff to do with the, fiance So i'll let you get to, that, man BUT i appreciate your.
Speaker 3: Time we'll talk, Soon, Okay, Yes, ted thanks for having. ME i appreciate. It