Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on vsports Leader dot com at knbr V sports Leader app. All right, man, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's roll up our sleeves and get into it with Andy Bagley of the Athletic. He's sponsored by Marine Health, with top physicians, surgeons and clinicians right here in the North Bay. Marine Health puts you closer to your best health, world class care, closer than you think.
Speaker 3: Andy.
Speaker 2: I read your comprehensive recap of the trade deadline day in the Athletic outstanding as zolways. As we say good morning. Now as we wake up the next morning.
Speaker 1: You sleep on it.
Speaker 2: You wake up, the dust is settling. And somebody who was on vacation and didn't have Wi Fi just came back and said, Hey, Andy, what did the giants do on the trade deadline? What was their message? What's your answer to that? What was the overarching theme?
Speaker 3: Oh, you missed the whole trade dead And then we'll sit down. This is going to take a while. Yeah, you know what, I gotta say, It probably took me longer to hyperlink to all of our stories then it did. Actually write the piece summarizing everything because I mean, we were all over it. It was really amazing to see everybody in action. If you were behind the scenes and could like look at all the slack messages going back and forth and stuff. We had so many editors and so many writers, and we had so many things pre written that we're ready to go. And I mean every single trade had a story about the trade, a story about you know, trade grades, and then a lot of analysis and there was just so much on our site yesterday was really really amazing. So I just wanted to give a shout out to all of our editors and starting with Mark Coraig our MLB editor, and and and and obviously all the writers for really pitching in because it was a big, big day for for all of us in our business.
Speaker 2: And the theme was for the giants.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, the thing, Yeah, the actual content, the actual method, you know what I mean. I think the message was, you know, hey, look, we're not satisfied with the way things have gone. We know things have to change, and that means not only trading the impending free agents, but you know, taking advantage of guys whom might have a hot market to move them to get some pieces that might help to reset the team a little bit. But you know it's not a rebuild. And you might say, well, how do you trade six guys off your major league roster and add zero? I mean the Giants played a man down yesterday in Texas. I mean they took an all star second basement off the roster. They Zika, a former All star left fielder, off their roster, the only two guys in the bullpen to throw hard, two fifths of their starting rotation. And you think, well, this is a team that's having a fire sale. But it's not a fire sale if Logan Web is still standing in the room, Because if it had been a rebuild, then Logan Web would be traded, and quite honestly, he would have gotten more than what the Tigers got for Terrek Schouble because he comes with two additional years of club control, so he would have been the big difference maker traded at the trade deadline if the Giants had put him out there. They didn't. They would have taken absolute pennies on the dollar for anybody who could give them a shred of cost savings on a Damis chapman En Devs. They didn't do that, So this is not a team that's rebuilding. But they are a team that is definitely retooling in a big way with an eye toward getting younger, boosting that farm system, trying to create a wave of talent that can really come up and make a difference. Now, does that really really make it appreciably likely that they're going to be a really good team next year? Probably not. So maybe you could quibble with whether it's a rebual or not. But if you're looking for the Giants to use the tradeline to make themselves a ninety win team next season, it probably wasn't the trade deadline for you. But you know, if you really just want to see the organization be in a healthier place, then I think that they accomplished that in a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: Bags This is now back to back seasons that we've seen the Giants be sellers at the trade deadline. Last year they moved three names. This year they've moved six. MURF and I were discussing it earlier this morning. You might know better than both of us. Is this the biggest sell off at the trade deadline in Giant's history?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it depends on what you call biggest I mean, have they traded bigger players at the deadline? Gosh, I can't really think of I can't really think of guys that they've traded that have been just huge blockbusters. I mean, really, the biggest trade that they've made mid seasoned in a long long time was the rock Hield Devers deal And I don't know if you want to call that a trade headline trade or not since it happened in June, but yeah, I don't know. I guess you could probably say it was the biggest sell off, probably the biggest sell off in the twenty whatever years I've covered the team, But again, I don't think that necessarily equits to fire sell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I can't remember volume wise, I can't never remember this many players being traded from the Giants. This to me is number one. But that said, we got to talk about the big one. So of all of them, I would argue probably the two most attractive ones for the industry would be either the Ramon Marquez from the Phillies going for Luisa Rise. But the one I want to ask you about first is the Marcello Meyer one. Red Sox fans were in their feelings about that they had complex feelings about and he was supposed to be the darling of the future. You know, whether do you want to compare him to Luciano or Marco Luciano or whoever the Giants had through the years that fans were in love with. But he had not performed in his brief stints as a Red Sox, and he was also injury prone. But there's this potential. You look at Casey Schmid and Elliott Ramos's guys who took a couple of years to get going. So your take on the Marcelo Meyer trade, trading away Eric Miller from Marcello Meyer, how do you evaluate that one?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think I would evaluate it pretty similarly to the way that Keith Law evaluated it on our site, which is you understand why the Red Sox did it. I mean, they feel like they have other players coming. Meyer's a guy who has had a lot of injuries, and you know, he was their opening day second basement, but they felt like they didn't have really a place to play him going forward and they needed a lefty reliever now. And this is a guy who's got some control and isn't just a rental. We also know what Eric Miller's warts are because we've seen him pitch and he's got six walks per nine innings. You know, he's always going to be a high walk guy. He has a history of getting hurt, so you know, he stayed healthy this year, but last year he didn't, and then he was available to the Giants from the Phillies because he had that injury history. So you could be selling, you know, relatively peak value on him if you know he can't stay healthy from this point forward. And of course you wish him the best and you hope he has success and health, but he's still a reliever, and a reliever can only make so much impact. And this is a guy who's an everyday position player who was one of the top twenty prospects in the game basically a year ago. So he's still twenty three. Kind of cool. He went to the same high school as Casey Schmid, so you know, shout out to La Vista. Maybe there's gonna be some Giants fans there now. But you know, he's a guy who, if he does get back on track, he's you know, a four or five war player. He's a difference maker, and just for a ten percent chance of getting that kind of player, It was worth the Giants doing this deal.
Speaker 4: Bags. The trade that stood out to me was Elliott Rama's being shipped out to the New York Yankees. What were your thoughts on the Giants treating away that controllable contract and overall the return package they got for Ramos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was It was a tough deal to trade Ramos, but you just kind of had a feeling they would because there were so many teams that needed a right handed hitting outfielder. And I think the Giants looked at a couple of things. One, you know, Ramos does have some limitations defensively. He's worked hard to get better this year, but we know it was a disaster last year, and they don't have a DH spot for the foreseeable future, certainly for the rest of this decade. If Devers and Eldridge are on the roster, so and you have other players coming up, You've got, you know, Victor Barracotto. They really like what they've seen from him, and I don't know if he's going to be an everyday big leaguer, but you know, you could maybe kind of close your eyes halfway and envision him doing what Ramos is doing. You know, they've got Dakota Jordan, they've got Bo Davidson, they've got Parks Harbor, they've got other players coming up, and so they felt like maybe they could cover that loss of Ramos and try to balance out the system because we know it's position player heavy, So if they were going to trade Ramos, it was only going to be if they got, you know, a really good pitcher back and l Lane from the from the from the Yankee system is an interesting guy. Six foot seven. He's from the Bronx, but he was actually an international signee from the Dominican Republic. And you know, he's a guy who wasn't protected from the Rule five draft a year ago. He wasn't major league ready obviously, so nobody took him. But that's where he's gotten to as a prospect. I mean, he wasn't making progress in the in the in the Yankee system, and and all of a sudden boom, now he's throwing ninety seven ninety eight with some really good secondaries. So the Giants have a guy that they that they can develop and hope can turn into something. And they just need as many of those guys as they can I think he was the number five ranked Yankees prospect. So and then of course kayden Ken is a guy that the Giants, you know, as Buster Posey told us yesterday, they wanted to they wanted to take with their fort round pick last year, and the Yankee scooped him up thirteen picks ahead of where they were going to go. So is that one a little bit of a you know, kind of a narrative, you know, play a little bit of a popular deal to get Kent's kid in in the fold? And you know, Tents had joked that he can't be all the way in as a Giant because you know, he still has to be a little bit of a Yankee fan. Well, now that's out of the way, and we know that they have Peyton bonds in the system. So the whole thing of Tenton bonds, you know, is there some of it that might be a little beyond you know, the nuts and bolts baseball? Yeah, you know, they say no, but I got to believe maybe there's a little bit of a lure there. So yeah, it's a fun thing to dream on. Fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Andy Bagley.
Speaker 2: By the way, we had Jeff Ken on last week and he had great audio. I know you'll probably talk to him, but he goes, he goes. He was talking about Cayden. He's man, Yeah, I told him he's two forty. I'm going to kill him. So he said he's got wants him to hit for a high average and move the ball around. He had a really good breakdown of him. You can of course find those at cambr dot com. Hey. A couple other things to get to is it was interesting that Buster went out of his way. None of you asked him, and he just said, I would like to flag and highlight Ramon Marquez of the Philadelphia Phillies. I thought it was interesting that he said that, and was that the one on the Arise trade that the industry sort of gave the Giants a golf clap on Huh.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think that they were determined. However, the chips fell, and whoever was interested in the various players they wanted to feel like they came out of this trade deadline with one really really highly ranked pitching prospects wherever it came from, and Marquez was one of those guys on their list that they thought might be available but weren't sure. And for the Phillies. He was the one guy that they thought, Okay, a lot of teams are asking on him, He's probably going to be the one big chip that we use to get, you know, an offensive player who can really help our situation. And the Giants were the team that had the match, so I think they feel fortunate that, you know, they did find this match, they got the picture that they wanted because this is a guy, you know, he's still I think he's just twenty, and really a neat story. Are Charlotte Barnes who interned with the Chronicle actually recently and now she's covering the Phillies for us along with Matt gel who does they built do a tremendous job. They they saw this coming. It was so obvious that he was going to be traded that they wrote a feature a couple of days ago on him just to tell his backstory. And he was signed for you know, ten thousand dollars when they found him at you know, a tryout in in Merit of Mexico. So yeah, a really neat story, and he obviously turned himself very very quickly into somebody who opened eyes and became really their second best pitching prospect in their system, and you know, you get a guy with a really really plus change up. He can make, you know, lower minor league hitters look really silly. And that's exactly what's happening bags.
Speaker 4: Going back from the Patrick Bailey trade to the draft a couple of weeks ago to yesterday's trade deadline, how much better is the Giants overall farm system than it was to start the season.
Speaker 3: Oh. I think you also layer in performance. You know, whether it's Dakota Jordan or Gavin Keelan, the way the two kids josu Ar and Luis Gonzalez and Hernandez are starting out in the Complex League and now at San Jose, the way just the teams have played in one I know it's not exactly the number one metric you look at, but you know the fact that the teams are playing well, they're playing good baseball, they're complementing each other, well, those are habits that the Giants want to ingrain and it's happening. I think all those things are positives. And you know, it's been a really really bleak year and I think the only thing that kind of you know, maybe is the jewel in the crown is is there has been a lot of progress in the farm system, and this trade deadline, you know, only puts a little more air in the balloons. So where they're going to rank at the end of the year. And to be clear, you know, prospect rankings, farm system rankings, they don't matter. They're only concepts, right, I mean, there are any flags that fly forever based on where your system ranks, but it is a good barometer of just the health where you are. And I think that the Giants are very, very easily going to be a top ten system and some people think need to even top five from the year Summer four.
Speaker 2: Let's go Andy just a bit on this year's team, and you wrote a pretty really solid piece on Sunday just calling out the Giants handling of their pitching this year, from Tony Vitello to Frank Anderson to justin message to Christian Wonders Marks. I even highlighted a few of Andy's key phrases strategic shortcomings, misuse of resources, odd usage decisions, have not looked to exploit matchups. Those are just a few phrases that you used you felt the need to write out that you just called it out. Andy, I'll give you credit, You called him out, you backed it up with a lot of evidence of any number of odd bad decisions they've used in handling their pitching this year. I don't know if you got any feedback or how you feel about, you know, when you wrote the piece and what you would say the Giants fans about, you know, how they fix that? Is it about cleanon house? Does this pitching coach staff not last the rest of the year, Does Tony v have to get a lot better fast? What's the what's the takeaway from it?
Speaker 3: I think I think everything has to be on the tables because you know, they've just they've just really been inefficient with how they've used their pitching this year. And now you know, they're about to wade into two months with you know, really a shred of a rotation and they're going to have to really mix it up. And I think they're recognizing that, and you're going to start seeing that Blade said, well, starting tonight they are looking at using an opener for Adrian Hauser, which they should have been doing earlier this year. But you know, I think for me, it's just the little things at UH and you start wondering, are they do they really you know what's going on here, what's happening in the think tank, because you know, there's there's no reason Keaton Winn should be pitching the ninth inning of a sixteen to three game when he pitched the night before, especially when you don't have a day off the next day, and when and he's already been on the il for in playing Belbo because you used them three times in a row earlier this year. Which might have been the worst decision that you know, that group has made all year was taking out Logan Web, putting in you know, a gas heat and win and letting his elbow blow up while you lose a game. So yeah, you know what, It's just, I think we were so conditioned to see the Giant's mind for every little advantage and and really do a lot of pitching chaos to the point where you know, it kind of ticked off fans under far hansiety and and uh and gave Kapler and and they weren't They were so unconventional. You wanted to know who the starting pitcher was going to be the next day. And I think the Giants have over corrected themselves, just straight into a ditch. I mean, that's I think that's the phrase I used, and they got it. They got to examine that and whether that means changing personnel, whether that means changing the way that they do things, you know, you know, and however far up that goes. I mean, they have to pay attention to this because you know, we know the I think the way I phrased it was the who is a big question and who's going to be in the rotation the rest of the way, Who's going to be in the rotation next year? You know, who's who's going to be the candidates in camp next year. But that if the how doesn't change, then you're only going to get so much better.
Speaker 2: I think you said it perfectly and I think you're one hundred percent right on everything. So they're going to take a hard look at that at the end of the season and maybe make some changes. So all right, Andy, a lot covered and a lot more. Will do it again next week and keep reading in the Athletic. Thank you, thanks bgs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks guys, take care.
Speaker 2: Of Yeah, Andy, Baggley Man so much covered there. Listen, we can get back to it. We got cooler content than a little check in on the football. Mike Sander did his quarterback tiers, and then of course more reaction to the trade deadline and Tim Flannery at nine thirty. So great Tuesday on the Sports Leader