Speaker 1: We can agree to disagree, but our reviews are unapologetically right. It's the John Phillip Show.
Speaker 2: And we continue at two o five in the afternoon on The John Phillips Show, Mister Randy wags in Culver City.
Speaker 3: John, we're broadcasting live on the radio seven ninety KABC in southern California, eight ten KSFO in the Bay Area. But if you're not like actively driving, you really got to watch the show. We now do this live on video every single day, Johnny, don't like dot Com? Is the website, Johnny don't like dot Com? You can see us in our studios, react to the videos along with us, and of course play around in the chat room and meet our newest friend, bubblehead. Katie Porter. The listener said this to us, and it is fantastic. No, in fact, Katie Porter is here to segue into our next segment.
Speaker 2: Well, that is because we're gonna give you an update, or at least Randy is on what's going on in Boil Heights.
Speaker 3: The tragedy that is going on every single day, and Boil Heights is getting worse and worse and worse, and it has made the attention of the national news. This next piece aired on NBC Nightly News, and Karen Bass doesn't look good at all.
Speaker 4: She's not gonna like that for more here is and BC.
Speaker 1: People are sick right now. If something isn't done the right way, what happens.
Speaker 5: People are gonna die.
Speaker 1: Morgan, It's been six weeks now since the black smoke billowed over Ellie's boil Heights.
Speaker 4: You know that smoke that was totally safe to breathe in.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Bab's told us, Karen Bass told us, just open up your front door, take a deep breath and smile and look at the blackness.
Speaker 4: Forreer's full of good advice.
Speaker 5: Wash your hands often, and Oway's before eating and after toileting.
Speaker 1: The fire burned for more than a week.
Speaker 3: And why did the fire burn for more than a week. We're not talking about a wildfire. We're talking about a very concentrate area. It's a big warehouse, but it's just a warehouse. But one of the things that does not get talked about enough in this story by our politicians is that they don't want you to remember that it was a solar panel farm that caught fire that burned down the warehouse that led to the rotting meat. Because while Karen Bass makes all kinds of grandstanding about how we don't want these kinds of cold storage facilities in our neighborhoods because refrigerators are dangerous, the truth is they're not going to say a damn thing about the fact that the solar panels started the fire, because there are solar panel and solar panel farms everywhere, including probably the parking lot of your kids school.
Speaker 2: And they would never say anything bad about green energy.
Speaker 1: Four crews could even contain it.
Speaker 4: Now, those who oh this poor guy, oh god.
Speaker 1: Who live next door to the charred warehouse say they can't catch their breath.
Speaker 6: When I get the coffin fits and I can't pull okay, can get air in that said, I need to just take a hit to reassure myself.
Speaker 3: Ok this guy's got to walk around with a floating oxygen tank because of this.
Speaker 2: And keep in mind, Farrer told him that this was perfectly safe.
Speaker 4: Not just for Rare, but the mayor of Los Angeles. It's not a namsy pamsy thing who said shelter in place, you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: The fire tour through a massive warehouse owned by cold storage company Lineage left behind more than eighty million tons of rocky.
Speaker 4: There it is again.
Speaker 1: Oh god, chicken, fish and beef.
Speaker 3: I just had to get away from the shot. But whenever anyone's putting this story together, whether it's for the local news on Fox eleven, CBSLA or the national news, you gotta get that shot of the rotten pigfoot so gross.
Speaker 1: All of it rotting next door to hundreds of homes on the day we drove in the timp, already topping ninety.
Speaker 3: You get that it's been hot, and it's been hot and humid, which is real bad for the stinking air.
Speaker 2: You can smell it right there, right.
Speaker 4: Hold on, you can smell it right here. I'm a prop comic.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Summer heat combined with that contaminated food bringing the flies. It's like this gross, melting chemical nightmare.
Speaker 3: This is, I bet not the story he thought he'd get picked to do.
Speaker 4: Nope, guess what you're going to Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What am I gonna do? Cover the Oscars, cover the Emmys, cover some kind of celebrity event. No, you're going to Boil Heights where you can smell it right there.
Speaker 3: Well, and this is a national correspondent this guy's probably used to going to like an earthquake in Haiti and it's not as bad as this.
Speaker 1: Now in this working class, predominantly Latino neighborhood. As if the smell and the flies weren't.
Speaker 3: Bad enough, the flies that spread diseases to anyone that has an open wound, and apparently it's worse than that.
Speaker 2: How is it that it's not obvious to everyone that these people are all gonna get cancer.
Speaker 1: The Salmon Diego family are all battling different symptoms they say stem from the fire.
Speaker 6: Last time, I had to go to the hospital because I was having a lot of breathing issues. They had determined that due to the environmental factors, that my respiratory issues were most likely caused by the pollution in the air.
Speaker 4: You don't say.
Speaker 7: Nose please, started around roughly a week after the fire. To the doctor, they told me that it was because of the air.
Speaker 6: The air was bad.
Speaker 8: I've seen him with the noose bleed and the bathroom seeing filled with blood.
Speaker 4: It's like, holy.
Speaker 2: Come, Okay. Keep in mind, they all go to real doctors who tell them it's because of the air that they're breathing in and the environmental disaster that they live next to, and the fake doctor tells them it's safe.
Speaker 4: Well, just take a little tile in all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is not right.
Speaker 4: It's any seman.
Speaker 1: Just a few blocks away, registered nurse Alexander Panis is seeing the fall on firsthand.
Speaker 4: Panis, just get that right, everybody.
Speaker 1: He's now treating up to fifteen patients a day with symptoms that he says are strikingly simil.
Speaker 7: Headaches, I irritation. Knows irritation, they sell congestion, throat pain, and cop Some of them are big vomiting from the smell.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, well that one guy was dry heaving.
Speaker 2: Remember that.
Speaker 3: Oh on Matthew Sedar's report, the guy who owns the car repair shop that's across the street from Leneage that got all of his cars towed during the fire, and then the city of la send him a bill.
Speaker 1: Treatment helps, but Pennis says, only go so far when the very home's patience.
Speaker 4: Even doctor Panis says, this is not enough.
Speaker 2: What do you think Junior high was like for him?
Speaker 4: Well, I feel his pain.
Speaker 1: They're living in our next door to the rotting remnants still inside the warehouse.
Speaker 7: If there's not a significant group of people complaining for the same thing, like over and over, like you know that that is a cost for a.
Speaker 1: Concern that concerns in this group of residents to the county Board of Supervisors this week to infrustrations about the impacts of the fire.
Speaker 9: Just because this is a private company, they can't take.
Speaker 8: Their own sweet time to removing this.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, it's America's worst. Mayor Karen Bass.
Speaker 1: Many of them were angry with La Mayor Karen Bass, who didn't issue an evacuation order after the fire. Instead, she declared a state of emergency and told residents to shelter in place.
Speaker 10: It is not necessary for mandatory evacuation.
Speaker 2: Yes it was.
Speaker 3: If Nythia's people know what they're doing, that will be in every single attack ad.
Speaker 2: But Nythia's on the council. Nythia didn't call for an evacuation. Well, she could say, not her district. There's Isabel Isabel DSA. By the way, she didn't call for an evacuation either, if they.
Speaker 8: Are dangerous, No, the air is not dangerous.
Speaker 3: Oh, come on, this is what she said when she was telling residents they did not need to evacuate, who now have all kinds of health complications. She can blame the cold storage facility all she wants.
Speaker 4: This was all on her.
Speaker 3: She could have sounded the alarm evacuated the neighborhood the same way that Orange County evacuated Garden Grove, And they thought the bomb was going to go off a few weeks ago, but they decided not to do that.
Speaker 2: That guy who lives next to the fire looked like he was going to die in the middle of that interview.
Speaker 9: They need to be evacuated.
Speaker 5: If people continue to breathe this air, they're literally going to be sick.
Speaker 9: At some point, something's got to give.
Speaker 1: But evacuating requires money. Airbnb has already pledged more than a million dollars in temporary stays for residents.
Speaker 3: And some of that has to go back to Airbnb when you don't pick up the towels on the floor.
Speaker 1: And Lineage is offered hotel vouchers, but residents told us that it's only a band aid type solution. As of last weekend, about half the debris had been cleared, according to Lineage. Now many want to leave until the entire mess is cleaned up.
Speaker 8: We don't have either the resources, the funds, or the capacity to do so.
Speaker 7: As a mother.
Speaker 6: I feel defeated because there's so much that are only I can do and provide for Rosa's family.
Speaker 1: Their first week away was at a shelter. Then vouchers covered a hotel, Airbnb house the family for the next ten days.
Speaker 3: But now this is such a pathetic response in the middle of an emergency.
Speaker 2: It seems like a complete nightmare.
Speaker 1: They're back home with no health insurance, frightened for what comes next.
Speaker 3: So these people who are suffering all kinds of severe health problems from the smoke that they inhaled that Karen Bass said was safe. Even with everything that's being offered, it's not nearly enough. And now they're back in their house because the voucher out.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I'll go back to the hospital. I don't think I want to leave my family with any medical dat I would much rather prefer to die than to leave them with a deadly cut that is dark.
Speaker 2: Oh god, how old do you think he is? I can't tell because of the mask.
Speaker 4: Do you believe he looks like a pretty young guy.
Speaker 3: If you will be okay, if you stay in your home, no.
Speaker 6: No, no no.
Speaker 5: If in such a short period of time, we're getting sick.
Speaker 9: Now, who wait for a longer time?
Speaker 7: How much sicker are you going to get? No?
Speaker 1: Earlier today we did hear from the office of La Mayor Karen Bass, who stressed that the city's launched mobile health connects throughout the impacted areas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the ones that Barbara for air runs that are giving people tile and all. Seriously, it cannot get any worse than this. As bad as the COVID response was, imagine if if Best was mayor.
Speaker 2: Then oh good lord.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know she's a better rhymer than Garcetti, and Garcetti was a joke.
Speaker 2: I received things on both ends.
Speaker 3: But she is so unbelievably incompetent and it is way beyond anything that La has ever seen.
Speaker 2: Well, part of this is her fault, because she should have never run for this job because she doesn't have the skill set. But part of this is on the voters because they had an opportunity to vote for Rick Caruso over her, but they chose her over Caruso. Well, okay, that's your choice, but there are consequences to that. If competence is something that's not relevant to you as a voter, you just want to vote for someone who believes like you, then fine, don't expect them to competently handle an emergency. Then if and when one pops up, And that's what happened here. This is a genuine public health and environmental emergency. And you have someone who's not capable of running a city the size of Los Angeles in charge, what do you expect her to do? This is her level of competence. It's not getting any better. And by the way, this was her level of competence when she was elected the first time around. What did you expect to have happened?
Speaker 1: And regarding Leneage's permit to rebuild filed recently, the mayor said, this corporation has devastated Boyle Hikes and East LA. I can't believe they would even think about starting the rebuilding process while they haven't cleaned up the mess they've created. Lineage.
Speaker 3: One of the things that we found out in that press conference on Friday that we played for you is that one of the reasons this cleanup is taking longer is they can't get enough landfills to take all the stuff because the county is not being helpful.
Speaker 4: So where is it all supposed to go?
Speaker 3: Because if they're only taking it all to El Sabronte and Corona, just the backup on the ninety one freeway.
Speaker 4: Alone is going to slow down. This cleanup, for.
Speaker 1: Its part, told us they've removed more than you imagine.
Speaker 3: If you're on the freeway behind one of those trucks, you better pass them.
Speaker 1: Sixty percent of the food waste, adding they continue to use aggressive odor and pest control measures, monitor air quality conditions, and are committed to doing everything we can for this community as part of the recovery until that cleanup is completed. Well, thank you for so.
Speaker 3: There you go national coverage of the disaster that we're dealing with on a daily basis in Los Angeles. In Boyle Heids at this warehouse facility, people have run out of their limited time at the Airbnb and the hotel. They're suffering all kinds of health consequences, and the mayor doesn't give a damn. The Bord of Supervisors for all of East La Hill does. Salise doesn't give a damn. Barbara Ferrara doesn't give a damn. Gavin Newsom doesn't give a damn. He hasn't even shown up. These people are left on their own.
Speaker 2: Gavin Newsom and Javier Bessera have not shown up to ground zero, and I know I mentioned that before we talked about that with John Fleischmann. I think it's really important to point out because these are people who pat themselves on the back and talk about what environmentalists they are. These are people who pat themselves on the back and say that they're the ones that follow the science, and anyone who disagrees with them, particularly during COVID, was not following the science. They're the ones who see racial discrimination in literally everything. And you have an environmental disaster in a poor Latino neighborhood where everyone was told to continue breathing in the smoky air and it would be fine. How could you not look at this and go Everything that Gavin Newsom claims to be is a fraud, Everything that Javierarbasera claims to be is a fraud. Because if they really genuinely believe those things, this is their opportunity to show it. This is their opportunity to prove it. This is their opportunity to say we're not going to let this happen in this neighborhood to these people, because it offends me to my core. They had the opportunity to do that, and they chose to ignore it because they do not want the pictures of themselves at ground zero getting screamed at in English and Spanish by the residents, being shown all of the physical deformities that these people now have because of the environmental situation in that neighborhood and having to wear a mask or plug their nose because of the smell or whatever. They don't want those images to exist. So if they just ignore it, then they figure they can get beyond it, and they figure that people are so caught up in the partisan knife fight that exists on a daily basis in Washington, DC, where competence or allowing this to happen is something that's just not regarded as being particularly relevant.
Speaker 3: That's the latest from Boil Heights in a segment we really don't want to have to do every day, but unfortunately we do, because here we are over a month and a half later, and you can still you can smell.
Speaker 2: H It's the John Phillips Show. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two if you want to watch us perform the show live. Go to Johnny Don'tlike dot com and make sure to click that like button when you're there.
Speaker 3: We're at two hundred and eighty two likes for today's show. We appreciate it. The like button is the thumbs up, and it tells YouTube that this show is popular and we should let more people know about it. And we've gotten a lot of exposure on the biggest platform in the world, YouTube because of you guys hitting the like button, hitting subscribe, commenting in all of our on demand content, playing around in the chat room.
Speaker 4: So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And if you want more content after we sign off A three, there's always the Accountability Podcast, Accountability, Accountability, Accountability.
Speaker 3: There's tons of on demand content right here at Johnny Don't Like dot com, including our weekly exclusive show, the Accountability Podcast, stuff that you're not going to get on the radio. We've got five episodes so far, including why we think Gavin Newsom will Never be President, including Karen Bess and Barbara Ferreri getting cussed out uncensored in boil Heights, and including Kamala Harris thinking about running for president. If you haven't seen any of those episodes, well we're signing off in thirty minutes. You got like four hours of content there, so go check it all out at Johnny dontlit dot com. Right below the live show, you'll see Accountability Podcast and there are five whole episodes for you to check out. And we'll have a brand new episode that premierees on Wednesday at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: And if you want to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't Like show dot com. All right, we've got thirty more minutes to go. Don't you go anywhere. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't Like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't Like Show at gmail dot com. And Randy, you're monitoring the mail bag.
Speaker 3: Listener dBW writes in at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com, thank you for calling out the fact that this was partially the voter's fault. You should do that once an hour every single day until it finally sinks.
Speaker 2: In And Randy, if you're not watching this live but one two, that's easy to do. We're doing this live on video every single day at Johnny don'tl Like dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like dot com takes you right to the YouTube channel where you can subscribe. If you log in and you hit the subscribe button, all of our stuff pops up on your feed.
Speaker 4: You can hit the like button.
Speaker 3: There's a bell button that'll get you notified every single time we put up new content. And when we sign off at three, there's all kinds of on demand content, the best segments from the show, the Accountability podcast, so you've got nothing else. If there's nothing else you ever need to watch or listen to again, we've got so much content for days and days and days.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get an update on Proposition forty three.
Speaker 3: Proposition forty three, also known as the Save Prop thirteen Act, is going to be on the ballot. It's a little different than what was being passed around in the signature gathering phase because HGATA had to make a deal to make sure that there were no poison pills and no bills to try to kill this thing. But what is on the ballot seems to have widespread support. So let's find out how you this November can help save and strengthen Prop thirteen with Prop forty three. Here's a report from Ashley's Evalla KSE or A three In California politics, three sixty.
Speaker 11: California voters in November will decide whether to make it harder to pass new taxes in cities and counties.
Speaker 3: Also, I can't wait to see who's going to oppose this one.
Speaker 11: Borders of Proposition forty three say this will protect communities from higher taxes. Critics worry about the future of key services.
Speaker 10: It will close a loophole that was created by the Court.
Speaker 8: On capol with the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association is the reason why Prop forty three is on the ballot.
Speaker 10: We're on a crane wreck path right now, and the last thing we need to do is start raising taxes. Will make it easier to raise taxes.
Speaker 8: Proposition forty three makes it harder to pass special local taxes that are proposed by citizens or special interest groups.
Speaker 3: See there was a court decision a few years ago that allowed not the government, but any kind of special citizens initiative, which could be a union via the government, to put a tax proposal on the ballot. And because it was a citizens initiative, it only needed a fifty one percent support, not the Prop thirteen mandated two thirds support. And that's how we've snuck in a lot of tax increases over the years. If this passes, it goes back to two thirds for all of it, which makes a lot of these a heck of a lot harder to pass.
Speaker 2: And it would provide all kinds of protection for California homeowners and taxpayers because we know what the California electorate is like.
Speaker 8: Special taxes are dedicated to a specific purpose instead of general government use. Right now, local governments like your city council or county supervisors can propose a special tax, but voters must pass it by a two thirds vote. But if a citizen or special interest group gets a special tax on the city or county ballot, it only needs to pass by a simple majority vote.
Speaker 3: This happened, and by the way, this is something that happened in San Diego.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: San Diego City and San Diego County put forth tax increases that both failed. So they figured, well, how about this time around we get a union to put it on the ballot instead of the government, and then we go down from a two thirds to a fifty one percenter.
Speaker 8: Recently, in Los Angeles, voters approved a citizen led mansion tax to help with a four housing and homelessness programs.
Speaker 4: How's that working out?
Speaker 2: You know, just when you think the City of Los Angeles the voters can't hit rock bottom, boy, we just keep going lower and lower.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: And this was the so called Measure Ula mansion tax. What turned out it was a real estate transfer tax that affected any property worth more than five million dollars, which was every apartment building pretty much in the city of Los Angeles, and in a housing crisis, has completely killed development in the City of Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: And they know it.
Speaker 3: And even when the politicians like Nitia Rahman tried to amend it, they got shouted down by the DSA people that said, no, we need it. We need this money. And you want to know where that money goes. It goes towards nonprofit eviction defense law firms like bet Zeek that sue the City of Los Angeles to make sure nobody gets evicted. We're paying people to no sue us. Just awful passed with fifteen I've said it before, I'll say it again. Oakland is a terribly run city. LA is worse.
Speaker 8: Eight percent of the vote. Under Proposition forty three, that tax would not have passed.
Speaker 10: Proposition forty three, at its core, makes it harder to raise taxes. It restores the original intent and language of Proposition thirteen, and it may be one of the few things that will prevent higher taxes.
Speaker 8: Capaul is talking about the state's nearly fifty year old real estate rules that are part of the state constitution. He says, in twenty seventeen, the state Supreme Court undermined some of those rules by lowering the threshold for citizens groups to get special taxes passed. Since then, there have been about thirty new special local taxes across the state, on top of other cost of living increases in California.
Speaker 10: Government is a growth industry in the state of California, and unfortunately it is resulting in California having a very hostile reputation nationally.
Speaker 3: Also, it's never enough. The California state budget is one and a half times larger than it was seven years ago. Every department says they're broke and nobody's happy.
Speaker 2: No, and are your services that much better than where they used to be when taxes were less. The answer is no. The services that you receive are worse today than they were in the nineteen eighties. Yet the cost to run the government has shot through the.
Speaker 12: Roof firefighter and someone who serves the community Proposition forty three is is written, it actually takes control away from the communities we serve.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: They're going to try to put the firefighters in front of this thing because there is a firefighter special tax that's going to be on the ballot of the City of Los Angeles. It's not on the voters to have a special tax to fund the fire department. That's what the basic general fund is supposed to be for. If they don't want to fully fund the fire department, then we need new politicians that will.
Speaker 8: Docrimental Area firefighter Trevor Jamison says Prop forty three could put the future of local key services at risk.
Speaker 12: Right now, the majority of voters have the ability to direct the way their local resources are used through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you vote for a special tax for the fire department and a special tax for the police department, what do you think that tells the politicians, Oh, I can defund all my general fund money now.
Speaker 2: California voters also overwhelmingly approve Proposition thirteen. And this is fixing something and making it consistent with what voters passed when they approve Proposition third thirteen. Voters could be schizophrenic at times as to what they believe.
Speaker 12: In citizens' initiatives. You know, the Supreme Court found that to be legal. I think what this is trying to do is undermine the Supreme Court and take away local citizens ability to serve their have the community to be served.
Speaker 3: Now, this guy's obviously a firefighter union guy. When we talk about these tax initiatives, tax hikes to fund the fire department, how much goes towards fire trucks, fire engines, firefighters, and how much goes towards the pensions.
Speaker 2: That's a very good question. And also you need to look at the overall budget of the city. If you're gonna look be in the eye and tell me there's no fat in the city of Los Angeles that you can cut to give more money to the fire department, you're nuts. None of those ambassadors should be employed. These NGOs that are being supported by taxpayer dollars that are supposed to help the homeless, and the number of people living on the streets goes up and not down, that money should be taken away. These NGOs that exist to stop section harassment on the Metro should not receive any government dollars. Take all that money from them and give it to the firefighters.
Speaker 8: Jamison and other opponents say it could impact future money not just for firefighters, but other emergency responders, schools, healthcare, and the response.
Speaker 4: To homelessness good.
Speaker 3: The homeless problem was not this bad when we didn't spend so much money on it. We raised our own taxes in the city and County of Los Angeles, and the problem got worse. Gavin loves to toubt how the state used to spend zero dollars on homelessness. Well, now he spends so much money that we don't know where any of it goes, and the problem gets worse.
Speaker 2: I don't think we would have a worse situation if we spend zero dollars on the homeless.
Speaker 3: Let's try that, and then we have plenty of money for the fire department.
Speaker 8: Prop forty three faces fierce opposition from powerful labor unions.
Speaker 12: They say, take a look at the opponents of the Yes campaign. I believe those are driven by special interests, big money groups that are not really looking out for working families.
Speaker 4: I think this guy's real nervous on camera. He is because he knows he's shovel and manure well. And you're a union guy. That's what you got to do sometimes.
Speaker 12: Looking out for their own interests.
Speaker 11: If past that higher vote threshold of two thirds vote proposed in Prop. Forty three would apply to proposals after January of twenty twenty seven, the legislative.
Speaker 3: Am Now what was originally but they had to negotiate it away because all the cities and counties were freaking out, was that it would undo all those special taxes that we voted on over the last seven years. That's not going to happen, but this is still something that is very necessary going forward. Did oh yeah, because the City of la would have been on the hook for all the money they promised all those eviction defense attorneys for.
Speaker 4: Measure ULA, and then the well would have run dry.
Speaker 11: This does not impact current local government budgets, but it could prevent their revenues from increasing. It's not clear by exactly how much.
Speaker 4: There's how you sell it.
Speaker 3: Make sure that we don't give your local government any more money.
Speaker 2: If you want to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't Like show at gmail dot com. And if you want to watch us perform the show live, you can do that at Johnny don't Like dot com. And when you're there, make sure to click that like button. All right here with an update for us between the rent dispute involving the Oakland Roots in the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum. Mister Randy Wayne.
Speaker 3: We've got dead beats for a soccer team in the city of Oakland.
Speaker 9: And we still got our Oakland a'sbaby.
Speaker 4: No, you don't.
Speaker 3: For more on the homeless soccer team that is really getting close to getting evicted. Here is kpix.
Speaker 1: Has so much history.
Speaker 10: We've had Steph Curry here, Jamon Green.
Speaker 3: As a long time ago. Isn't it sad that when the Warriors got good they moved away?
Speaker 2: Hey, they played in Oakland during the Chris Mullen years.
Speaker 1: We'll see him.
Speaker 13: Has always been where the city's biggest sports memories were made. But now one of the last professional teams to call the venue home is facing an uncertain future. Soccer team. The Oakland Roots took on the Pittsburgh River Hounds at the Coliseum tonight, but it came after a heated meeting over nearly one and a half million dollars in unpaid rent.
Speaker 3: They'll pay you someday. First they got to sell some tickets.
Speaker 2: Don't count on that happening anytime soon.
Speaker 13: Maddy White's got the story from Oakland.
Speaker 14: Even if the Oakland Roots have only called it home for a short time, for many fans, the team is rooted right where it belongs.
Speaker 3: They're ripping out the roots. Guys, I'm sorry at.
Speaker 9: The Oakland Coliseum.
Speaker 6: I've been going here since I was like five years old.
Speaker 10: So it's like.
Speaker 6: My dad and it's just like, I don't know, so I get emotional sometimes.
Speaker 3: Imagine taking your kids there now. I used to see the A's and the Raiders play there and the Warriors.
Speaker 4: What happened to all those teams?
Speaker 2: Dad, well Son, It's about to happen again.
Speaker 4: This is my this is my roots.
Speaker 14: Many fans say they don't want to see the Roots leave the Colisseum because of all the history and culture that this place represents.
Speaker 3: And if you're the colisseum, what are you going to put in there? They have no teams.
Speaker 2: They didn't even know who their owners were gonna be for a long time.
Speaker 4: They still don't like we just saw they were having it. Maybe there's a rodeo going on.
Speaker 2: She looks like she got attacked by a stapler.
Speaker 4: As a big old bull horn.
Speaker 2: Well, I know why. She's a fan of the Roots.
Speaker 9: Dance battle, and that's just that's only something I feel like you'd get an Oakley.
Speaker 3: It's hard to see what the lighting. But her boyfriend also has about seventeen earrings. These guys are fun.
Speaker 2: What kind of children do you think they're gonna make?
Speaker 4: Hopefully none.
Speaker 14: Dan celebrated ahead of the game this weekend, just one day prior.
Speaker 6: I got a.
Speaker 2: Problem with you.
Speaker 6: Well, I have a problem with your statement.
Speaker 9: The conversation at the coliseum off three.
Speaker 3: Can I see more of that meaning? It seems like Ken Houston was about to pop off.
Speaker 2: It sounds like he did.
Speaker 9: Ortie's meeting was far less festive.
Speaker 1: Some of the members of this board felt blind sided.
Speaker 2: I have felt.
Speaker 14: Executives overseeing the Colisseum's budgets say the Oakland Roots are behind in rent and own nearly one point four million dollars.
Speaker 3: I mean, look how empty those stands are. How are they supposed to pay the bill? The problem is you're a team that has a fan base of two to three thousand people and you're renting out a fifty thousand seat stadium.
Speaker 2: It's some point you are going to get evicted. That's how it works. First payment was due by noon two days ago.
Speaker 14: Eventually, both sides reached a temporary agreement allowing the Roots to stay on the field while negotiations continued.
Speaker 1: Looking for it here.
Speaker 3: I mean you're in a bad position if you're the Roots, because you owe the money and where else are you going to go? But I think you're also in a bad position if you're the Colisseum because this is literally the only game in town.
Speaker 2: No, there's no one else who's going to rent out that building.
Speaker 14: But the club has also said this is expected to be its final year playing at the Coliseum, citing the high cost of operating the aging stadium.
Speaker 9: It's really nice for us all come together.
Speaker 4: I cannot get over that nose ring.
Speaker 2: Who thinks that's attractive?
Speaker 4: Steers?
Speaker 9: It's ending now for supporters. We are rooted in Oakland, keeping.
Speaker 4: Not much longer.
Speaker 3: Have the fun what you can, they're going to replant you in vallejoeping.
Speaker 14: The club in Oakland matters just as much as keeping it in the coliseum.
Speaker 6: We've always got to have an Oakland team here.
Speaker 1: I feel like it brings an inspiration to everyone here, whether the.
Speaker 14: Roots ultimately stay at the Coliseum or find another home. Fans say the city of Oakland has already lost too many teams.
Speaker 3: They're hoping this, I mean, unfortunately, this is the thing that Oakland is known for.
Speaker 2: Losing sports teams well, and RVs being on fire that too.
Speaker 4: Well, there is that.
Speaker 14: You may be frightened, and I know how you feel.
Speaker 9: It's roots where they believe they belong.
Speaker 13: That is Maddy White reporting. The Roots say that they've paid for this weekend's game and plan to pay off what they owe by the end of the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't trust that.
Speaker 2: Not they will.
Speaker 3: We plan to now Johnny real quick before we get out of here. We also have an update on the only other sports team in Oakland, Oakland Bees. They changed their name for a pot event.
Speaker 5: To be an Oakland sports fan is to know the highest of highs and the lowest of low's. First, the Low's, the A's, the Raiders, the Dubs. They have all ditched the town so sad.
Speaker 2: Who are the Doves?
Speaker 3: The Dubs, the Warriors, oh the Okay, I see greener pastures.
Speaker 4: The A's unless they had a look cross team that I didn't know.
Speaker 5: About, partically gave Oakland the finger when they opted to play in Sacramento.
Speaker 9: Also true, they waited for their ballpark in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Screw you, We're not going back to the Coliseum. We're going to the River CAATs Stadium and West Sacramento.
Speaker 2: Hey, I saw three games there this summer. It was nice.
Speaker 4: Did the Angels win any of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 5: Do you know the one that is still being built on the strip. Instead, Oakland has their own, smaller but beloved local teams. You've got the Roots, the soccer team that has been playing in the coliseum it is not much longer searching for its new home. And then you've got the Oakland Ballers. The independent baseball team made its debut two years ago in the Pioneer League and last.
Speaker 3: Year Pioneer League, which mostly is comprised of teams from Idaho and Montana Oakland Bees.
Speaker 2: Are there more Pioneer League teams or more Pioneer Chickens left?
Speaker 5: And just their second season, the Ballers won the league champion. And let's just say they've been willing to take some risks. They temporarily let Ai take over for their manager, and then on April's fools Day, they posted this their weed themed uniform. Parly a joke until people demand and the team make it a thing, which brings us to our highest of highs because the team actually did it.
Speaker 3: Now they're the Oakland Blazers, all right, Well, good for them,