Speaker 1: The GNC News Blitz with Rady Wang starts.
Speaker 2: No No, It is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in southern California as well as the Bay Area, Sacramento, and San Diego. I compile a list every single morning of all the stories that I found that you may have missed at Randywangradio dot substack dot com. All local, all stuff that affects you, Randywangradio dot substack dot com. You know, so follow me on all the socials, on x and Instagram at Randy Wang Radio. The YouTube channel is YouTube dot com slash at Randy Wang Radio.
Speaker 3: You have to put the AD sign in there first.
Speaker 2: That's where we have the live feed of the John Phillips Show as well as clips from this show.
Speaker 3: And check it all out.
Speaker 2: You can also email me at Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com if you have any comments, you have any questions, or you can't find any of the things that I just promoted. Let's star art in Woodland Hills where there was a big celebration yesterday. The mayor came all the way out to the valley because they are starting construction on a gigantic three thousand unit set of towers, towers that will house the elderly in a massive affordable housing complex. Just a reminder anytime that you hear the term affordable housing, just remember that that means it is subsidized in some way, whether it's through city, county, or state tax dollars, whether it is subsidized from the expensive rents from everybody else, somebody is paying for the affordable housing. By the way, this affordable housing complex which was greenlit under Karen Vass's executive directive one the short lived executive order that got rid of all red tape that she decided to cancel as soon as people got outraged that they were going to tear a single family home in Sherman Oaks and turn into a seven story building. Well, this is one of the projects that got in under the wire, and it's going to have three thousand units for what they say as mostly the elderly and people that cannot afford to get a regular place. But it's only gonna have eight hundred parking spaces. But that's not the real story of this. I was actually kind of confused. When I pull up the feed, I go to Fox eleven, I see this story. Of course I'm gonna click on it because I live near Woodland Hills. I'm always curious about what's going on there. The traffic is bad. Now just wait till Kronky builds the little rams park and then you've got this and it's going to be a whole thing having to deal with getting around down there. But I was like, wait, why are they sending Matthew Seedorf on this? That's Seedorf is usually being sent to a very dangerous location or somewhere that smells terrible. But I think the reason they sent in Seedorf for this fairly celebrate Tory event was because they knew this would be the one way to get Matthew Seedorf in his microphone in Karen Bass's face, because Karen Bass was more than happy to talk about, Hey, look at this, We're actually building something affordable housing.
Speaker 3: How great is this?
Speaker 2: Although the developer couldn't commit to how much, how many of the units are actually for seniors, how the affordability is being paid? Is this through Section eight? Is this through other housing funds measure ula? We don't know, but Karen Bass is all happy to talk about that, but what she did not expect was for Matthew Sedorf to be recording when she was giving her spiel, not just about building housing, but about homelessness. Because one of the things that Karen Bass says so many times when she's talking about her plan to end homelessness on the street by twenty twenty six, wait it is twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: Karen Bass likes to tout that there are so many different kinds of homeless people you cannot paint them with a broad brush. And Karen Bass likes to say, for all of you people that think that this is a mostly drug and mental illness problem, let me tell you something. You spend a couple of weeks on the street and you don't see if you don't start using meth to protect yourself.
Speaker 3: Those were her words. They were on tape.
Speaker 2: The homeless are just using meth to protect themselves because they need to stay up at night otherwise they will be assaulted. So let's think about that for a second. So what the mayor of Los Angeles is saying is that the conditions in our streets, in these encampments are so dangerous that it doesn't matter if you had a drug problem that put you on the streets or not. You need to whether you're a man or a woman, black or white, young or old, you need to do math on the street so you can stay up late at night, because if you fall asleep at night in a homeless encampment, you will be sexually assaulted, you will be swallowelled, you will be platinered allegedly. I don't know if that's necessarily the kind of argument you want to bring, because I don't know if she understands how the human body and how drugs work.
Speaker 3: But sure, the.
Speaker 2: Meth can keep you up all night, and then they usually take the fentanyl to fold over and pass out during the day. But what sexual assaults don't happen during the day. Look, this is a non sensical argument making excuses for doing illicit drugs that put people into you know, you want to talk about Karen Bass loves to do the chicken or the egg situation. Did someone become homeless because of their drug addiction or did they become a drug addict because of homelessness.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a different chicken or egg theory.
Speaker 2: Was the person crazy and then they started using meth or did they start using meth? And meth actually creates mental illness. Meth actually destroys your brain to the point where you're in psychosis, where you're extremely paranoid, where you're seeing things your schizophrenic. So anybody, any elected official, making excuses to do meth on the streets because while they need to do it to protect themselves might be the most bet bleep argument I have ever heard from an elected official. And of course Matthew Seedorf, being the great reporter that he is, has the microphone in front of her face and she's talking about how great this development is. But Seedorf, who I cannot say enough great things about I am a huge fan of this guy, says, what were you saying back there that the homeless take meth to protect themselves? And she says, I didn't say they were protecting themselves, Yeah, she did.
Speaker 3: It's on tape.
Speaker 2: I highly recommend you watch and share that video the Fox eleven Report as at Randy Wang Radio dot substack dot com. And I also highly recommend you check out the first hour of the John Phillips Show.
Speaker 3: I will also have.
Speaker 2: A contained video of John and I talking about this and playing the sound and a graphic that I am very proud of of Karen Bass as Heisenberg from Breaking Bad worked.
Speaker 3: Real hard on it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have that up tomorrow morning, and I highly recommend that's one of those stories you need to not only see it, you need to share it around. This is the kind of thing you need to be telling your friends. And you know, there was an interesting exchange on my Facebook page. One of the things that I do every single morning is in my now twelve hour day. Someday I'm gonna sit down and explain like what my workday is like right now, because it's a lot. But one of the things that I do is I create a couple of graphics, usually four. For the John Phillips Show, I create one graphic for this show. If we're doing an accountability podcast, I create a graphic for that. So that way, these things have an image that people are more likely to click on on the YouTube. And I like to share the images because well, we're having a lot of fun with them. So I post the one of Karen Bass in the Breaking Bass picture, which again I'm very very proud of that. I'm getting pretty good at putting in the right kind of prompts to google Gemini to make this stuff come out really nice. And I've gotten some very good advice from listener Tony on to make them look a lot cleaner and pop more for the old internets. But a listener I can't remember her name right now, I could check, but was like, you know, the more you beat up on Bass, the more you're going to help the DSA win that seat. And I responded, I don't actually know who would be worse, and as a voter in the city of Los Angeles, it is something that I will be conflicted about for the next four months because I know through four years that Karen Bass has been a complete disaster on every single level.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree with you more. Karen Bass is so bad.
Speaker 2: I actually find myself pining for the good old Garcetti days.
Speaker 3: I received things on both ends.
Speaker 2: Now with Ramen has a lot of crazy ideas. Nythia or Ramen has not been a great member of the city council, and yes she is affiliated with the DSA, but would she truly be as incompetent as Karen Bass, Because forget ideology, honestly, you want to break them down among ideological lies. I don't know what really separates Nythia and Karen Bass. And this was evident by every single podcast that Nythia would do where she was asked, what's different between you and Karen Bass? And her answer was and this was true when she was on Pod Save America with Evan Lovett, she kept saying, well, I would just be more focused, and you know what, there's a potential that that is actually true either way. The policy ideas are terrible, the not wanting to clear homeless encampments because it's an ineffective policy.
Speaker 3: What have you? She was someone that said defund the police. She won't say it now, but she.
Speaker 2: Also things that the police, which is at historic low levels, it has at a fine level, and we need more alternatives.
Speaker 3: What have you.
Speaker 2: Karen Bass, who now has the endorsement of the police union, doesn't say that.
Speaker 3: She says we need more police officers.
Speaker 2: But everything she has done to get us more police officers has been completely ineffective.
Speaker 3: And she has been asleep at the wheel. How many times.
Speaker 2: You look at the ten Freeway melting well, we still don't know who started that one. Of course, all the disaster and cover ups with the Palisades fire that we've covered extensively, the fact that when this Boile Heights warehouse fire started, she put out the information that don't worry, the smoke coming out from those solar panels isn't toxic. I don't know necessarily if Nifia really would be worse than Bass. It's one of these things that is so upsetting about our system. There is no good decision here. Sometimes all you're set with is two bad decisions. What was the old South Park bit where you had to choose between a crap sandwich and what was the other one?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to look that up during the break.
Speaker 2: But these are your choices and there's not really a winner. But one thing that I do know, you could say, well, Karen Bass is a proven entity. You know what you're going to get, and Nithie Raman is the devil. You don't know that's true. But I have seen so much incompetence from this administration and I think a lot of it has to do with and I know this is an uncomfortable topic, but I'm ready to have it. One of the issues that I have with Karen Bass, and she doesn't get as much flak for it as other politicians, but I don't want any more senior citizens running our government.
Speaker 3: There I said it. Karen Bass is seventy one.
Speaker 2: I don't like that people slow down, people get distracted, people cannot work as hard as somebody in their forties. Nithea might be crazy, but she's in her forties. And even though I mean, I don't know what it would be like, it could be a disaster. And I still don't know who I'm going to vote for. I'm going to vote. I'm going to make my voice heard, even though I don't like either of the choices. I will say, for all the talk about his insane ideology in New York City, the reviews of the first few months of Zorn Mamdannie have been, well, he's getting some stuff done, he's filling some potholes, He's got some energy, And I think there is something to bringing youth and energy to these jobs. Daniel Lurry is a relatively young guy. He is the most popular mayor in the country now. He's a much more moderate candidate than Karen Bass or Nythia Rahman or Zora and Mom Donnie. But I think having youth, being able to not be set in your old ways, because I'll tell you one of the ways that we're so bogged down is that Karen Bass has been in this machine for such a long time that she has a certain understanding how things work, and she's not willing to change that. She's not willing to break the wheel. She just wants to be another cog in the wheel. And things are so messed up that we do need to break the wheel now. The best way to do that would have been Spencer prep, but we don't have a choice here. So this is what I'm conflicted about, and this is what a lot of voters are conflicted about. Do we go with what we know is already bad or do we know what could also be bad but maybe possibly more effective because they're not seventy and incompetent, and Karen Bass also has a history of cover ups, covering her ass And I'm I almost said the QF word. I am sick of it, not saying I'm voting for Nthia, but at this point I don't really see how four more years of Bass is infinitely a better option than the DSA candidate. If you have a differing opinion, please let me know. You can email me at Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com, and you can give us a phone call at eight hundred.
Speaker 3: Two two two five two two two.
Speaker 2: It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety kab C. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. If you'd like to send me an email, you can do so at Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com. And we've got live phone lines here eight hundred two two two five two two two one. Eight hundred two two two five two two two. Let's go to Jim and Orange. Jim, Hello, Oh hey, how's it going.
Speaker 4: Thanks for kicking my call.
Speaker 3: Doing great.
Speaker 4: I heard what you were saying, and you know, I like Sprincer Proud. I don't like either one of them, but you know I would rather between the two of them. I would rather have the competent, old progressive than the young aggressive communists.
Speaker 2: So you'd rather have Karen Bass be asleep at the wheel for four more years than someone that has enough energy to do some real damage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, because that's what they would do. Damage, worst, my.
Speaker 2: Damage, I understand that I do. However, the damage that Karen Bass has caused for being an incompetent is literally you can see it with the burned down palisades. So I don't know if that's necessarily much better.
Speaker 4: No, I get it.
Speaker 5: I just I can't go with a communist, especially a young, aggressive one. And he's not filling potholes, he hasn't six potholes. He's closing down grocery stores.
Speaker 3: All right, Jim, thank you so much for the call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Another disaster on Karen Bass's hands is the Boyle Heights Warehouse. And here's the thing that you need to know, because I've been hearing every version of this story. Alex Badilla went down there and toured it, says he wants to get the EPA involved. And by the way, there should be some kind of movement to get a federal response out here, because right now the mayor, the incompetent mayor, who says, all right, you lineage, you have forty five days to get all this rotting food out of there, which, by the way, now we're in the middle of a heat wave and the rotting smell is getting worse by the day.
Speaker 3: We're now a month's.
Speaker 2: Since this fire started, what two weeks since Karen Bess put out that executive order. So let's just say we're fifteen days into the forty five day window of when they have to get rid of all of this rotting food. Here's what you need to know, because sometimes the numbers can be confusing. The first number you need to know is that there are eighty five million pounds of food that is rotting in this burned out warehouse and boil Heights, eighty five million pounds. According to all the news stories yesterday, the cruise at Lineage that are working around the clock have so far cleared three hundred and fifty tons of the rotting food. And again, we are now fifteen days into the forty five day cleanup. And you might be a little confused because we're giving one measurement in pounds of we're giving one measurement in tons. So I went ahead and did the math this morning. And if anyone asks you about what's going on in the Boyle Heights warehouse, what's going on with the cleanup, here's what you need to know.
Speaker 3: Nine eighty five million pounds.
Speaker 2: If you divide that by two thousand, because it's two thousand pounds for a ton, it means that we're dealing with about forty five thousand tons of food. So now I think the math is going to be a little simpler for us forty five thousand tons, and we've only cleaned up three hundred and fifty which means two weeks into Karen Bass's forty five day window to clean up all the rotting food, we have cleaned up less than one percent point eight percent.
Speaker 3: There, I did the math for you.
Speaker 2: It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC.
Speaker 1: It's half past five in LA. That means you're either sitting at a bar or sitting in traffic. Well, wherever you are sitting, get comfortable because the KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang continues.
Speaker 2: No, it is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in southern California as well as the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, in the Central Valley. I compile a list every single morning of all the stories that you may have missed that affect you locally at Randywangradio dot substack dot com. You can follow me on the socials, X and Instagram at Randy Wang Radio our YouTube channel which has now grown to what are we have twenty seven hundred subscribers two thousand, seven hundred and nine. That is where we broadcast the John Phillips Show every single day from noon to three. The address is YouTube dot com slash at Randy Wang Radio. If you cannot find it, send me an email at Randywang Radio at gmail dot com. And don't forget the Accountability podcast. That is YouTube dot com slash at Accountability Podcast. That is where we just put up a new episode that launched today of John and I going through the uncensored town hall where Karen Bass and Barbara Pereer rightly got cussed out by the Boyle Heights residents. Did you know that we are now just two years away from the LA twenty twenty eight Olympics. I have a little little residual trauma just saying that one of the dumber things that I did in my now nearly twenty year radio career. It'll be twenty years in September that I've been doing this.
Speaker 3: But when I was the.
Speaker 2: Sports reporter for McIntyre in the Morning, our morning show for many years here on KABC one, that I won two Golden Mic Awards for even though I know nothing about sports, we would cover pretty extensively the work of Eric Garcetti to bring the Olympics to Los Angeles in twenty twenty four, but that didn't work out. In fact, I think before that they tried and I think Boston beat them. But finally it got put on the books the twenty twenty eight Olympics. And in twenty eighteen, when we found out this was happening, I came up with a bit and I thought it would be really, really funny, and it was. For like the first week, I would at the end of my sports report every single day do an official countdown clock with the Olympic theme and a clock ticking sound effect, saying there's only three thousand, seven hundred and forty eight days left till the LA twenty twenty Olympics.
Speaker 3: And here's why.
Speaker 2: It's one of the dumber things I've ever done in my career. That's a bit you now have to commit to for ten years, and it doesn't matter what you're doing. If you do the same bit every single day for weeks and weeks and weeks, even if the bit is only ten seconds long, it gets old. It gets on people's nerves. It becomes the first thing that they can pick on you for. You realize that you're in this giant hole. And eventually I just gave up doing it. But for a while I was like, yep, I had it on my I had a little script that I wrote every single day with like the angel scores and the Dodger scores, and I would have my three thousand, five hundred and eighty seven days I did that. So the moral of the story is, don't commit to a bit you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna have to do for ten years.
Speaker 2: Always commit to the bit, but don't commit to a bit for ten years. Now I mentioned Eric Garcetti. Eric Garcetti is taking a victory lap. He sat down with NBCLA give him the full face. He gave them the full face to talk about, Hey, the Olympics is here in two years.
Speaker 3: How exciting is this gonna be?
Speaker 2: And one of the criticisms that I think a lot of people who live in Los Angeles, I don't know if you're aware, but I'm born and raised in this city and I do not use the term Angelino.
Speaker 3: Don't like it. Never did.
Speaker 2: One of the frustrations that I have whether it was Garcetti back then with his twenty eight transit Pride twenty twenty eight, which I don't think we accomplished nearly half of them.
Speaker 3: At one point.
Speaker 2: One of those projects was the supulvit Abasin train. Nope, still haven't broken ground on that. One of those projects was express lanes in the Supulvta Pass. I don't even think that one's happening anymore. But this frustration that you live here, you pay through the nose to be here. It feels like the government does not pay attention at all. But when a big, fancy sporting event is coming, that's when we got to That's when we got to really make sure this city moves. Traffic can be awful every single day of your life, but when the Olympics is here, let's try to figure that out.
Speaker 3: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Now gar Citi will say, well, you know what, these events just acted as an accelerant. I mean, you got the second deck of the Lax Airport because of the nineteen eighty four Olympics. I can't imagine how bad that airport was back then. But I wouldn't be touting anything that Lax is doing as an accomplishment, Eric Garcetti and all of these transit projects that we're supposed to help us get around, I mean, with enough delays? Is the train the D line? Tom stayers favorite line is that actually going to get all the way to UCLA by twenty twenty eight. We'll see will the people Mover actually be running by twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 3: Oh, we don't even know.
Speaker 2: I'll have a lot more to say on the People Mover on tomorrow show, so stay tuned for that because there's a lawsuit between the contractor and Lax, and there's a lot more to this story. I should actually reach out to this podcast that I listened to that explain the whole thing. Try to get them as a guest on the show, because the saga of the Lax People Mover project is increase incredibly embarrassing and an indictment of you know, they talk about these things like the homeless industrial complex, Well there seems to be in the state of California, the contractor industrial complex. When you bid for these massive contracts, contracts that a city or a county's reputation is held on, you hold immense.
Speaker 3: Power in your hands.
Speaker 2: And if you're a little less than ethical, you can extract as much money as possible out of a project, which is why this thing is a billion dollars over budget and three years late. But we'll have more on that on tomorrow's show. Culver City did it. They have extended their drive through ban, putting a moratorium on any new drive throughs for the foreseeable future, which means the proposed in and out burger on Sepulvida and Sawtel is not going to be being built any time soon. And look, I'm a big fast food fan. I don't eat it currently. That's why I'm down seventy pounds and kept it off for nearly a year. But at what point I was known is mister fast food. I used to spend a lot of time in the drive through. Hell, I was late to work once when I worked at KABC because.
Speaker 3: Of a drive through. That was a fun story.
Speaker 2: But I don't necessarily think this is the right call, especially when the place that you're shutting down is a new in and out burger, because we're talking about not only something that brings joy to the community, it's not necessarily the kind of fast food that you know adds to our unhealthy diets.
Speaker 3: In and out.
Speaker 2: It's not great for you, but it's a heck of a lot better than the competition. But it's also you're talking about a great job creator in an out burger, that's a good job. I've always said, if this radio thing after twenty years didn't work out and I become completely unemployable in the entertainment business, which I'm not expecting that to happen, I work pretty damn hard, and I like to think that that is valuable in a whole bunch of different things. Plus, I like to think that I know what I'm doing. But let's say that radio goes away for me, what am I going to do? How am I going to make a living? Well, I've always thought while figuring it out, is I don't think I'm the kind of person that can just deal with like I'll be on unemployment for a year. I don't want to know what I would be like. There are some times where, especially right now where my wife is out of town, I get to the weekend and I don't even know what to do with myself. I mean, honestly, I'd probably just start my own podcast again and would be off to the races, but I'd have to have some way to pay the bills, and I've always thought, okay, I could go work at in an out burger. I worked in fast food. My first job was working at all the food establishments at Magic Mountain, So I know something about the job. I know that compared to a lot of other jobs. While it is a hard job, your day goes by pretty quickly because you're always on your feet, You're always moving. Now there is the added temptation of you know, I'll be around animal style fries all day long. But it's a well paying job. They do offer benefits in vacation and talk about a pathway to upward mobility. You can go from being the fry cook at in and out Burger to being a restaurant manager and make well over six figures, like what one hundred and thirty one hundred and forty thousand dollars a year. I don't make that, So I've always thought that's a decent backup while I try to figure things out. So I disagree completely with shutting down a job creator, a good job creator, and something that brings all kinds of joy to the community that is an in and out Burger. Now, if this was a Taco Bell they were trying to shut down. I might say they have a point because we don't need all of those explosive you know what disease is spreading everywhere. Okay, that might have been a little slanderous. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. Hey, if you're looking for something to listen to after this show, make sure you check out the Accountability Podcast.
Speaker 3: If you don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: John and I do fifteen hours a week and now we do a special sixteenth hour and it's on video. We can also talk uncensored. We can talk about things that we don't usually talk about on the radio. But this most recent episode is John and I going through the uncensored town hall in Boyle Heights where Karen Bess and Barbara Ferrer got cussed out. It is definitely worth a listen. You can search for the Accountability Podcast wherever you get your podcasts, but YouTube, I think is the best way because then you get to watch it, and there definitely is something to watching that town hall with us, So check it out. Go to YouTube dot com. Slash at accountability podcasts. If you cannot find it, just send me an email and I'll point you in the right direction. Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com. Grocery outlet in the Bay Area is got a new idea how to shut down shoplifting, and that is with AI facial recognition technology. The idea here would be that if you are ever caught shoplifting, almost like a futuristic version of don't write checks to this man and having the mugshot on the wall, the system knows who you are when you walk in the store, and if you are someone that has been caught stealing before, they can art security immediately. Now security still has to enforce this, but I'll tell you this technology is pretty darn accurate. I haven't seen it applied this way, but if you've been to a Clipper game recently, ever since they moved to the Innewit Dome, it is a really interesting experience because they use facial recognition for everything. You scan your face when you get into the arena at the parking garage and you don't show a ticket, a phone, anything for the entire experience. You want to go buy their popcorn and by the way, the popcorn at the Clipper games is pretty darn fantastic. Just show your face and there you go, you're scanned in. It is really really, really cool. I'm a big fan of it. And am I worried about the surveillance technology. They're already spying on you in a million ways than one, Like, is this going to somehow lean into also what they're talking about with surveillance pricing, with digital price points, where they see you walk in, they know you've got some money on you, so all of a sudden, the toilet paper costs a dollar more. It's possible. But anything we can do to deterin the shoplifting, because I'll tell you right now, the whole conversation in San Francisco about oh maybe we need to go with this public grocery store idea that Mom Donnie's talking about that Lurry shut down. Part of that is because you do have grocery stores and pharmacies that went out of business or they closed, and they closed because of theft. It's a joke, but it's also true. Walgreens in San Francisco had a location that put a chain and a lock on the freezer because people were stealing ice cream and pizza. That kind of lawlessness is unacceptable. So whatever we can do to crack down on it, including you know, fully funding Prop thirty six, would be very beneficial. And Oakland street vendors are very upset that the city is starting to enforce street vending laws. If you want to be a street vendor, you can do that, but you need to get a permit, You need to be evaluated by the Health Department, make sure that you know how to operate a pro pain tank, have a place where you can, I don't know, safely wash your hands. I don't think these are onerous regulations. And look, if you don't care about any of that and you want to have the street taco, go for it. But I think that we should all be on a level playing field with the basics. If you were deep frying food on a cart, where's that grease going at the end of the night. Is it going into the storm drain? We should have real answers to these things. And I know, if it's a barrier, it's a cost thing. We can help out with that, but we should have a regulated system. But here's what I found so interesting about this story, because OPD was actually going in and cracking down on street vendors that were not permitted, and like they were confiscating coolers and crushing them the trash can. And what I realized was, you know what, Alameda County never opted in to Ricardo Lara's street vending bill. So back when Ricardo Laura, now the terrible Insurance Commissioner, was just a terrible state senator, he authored SB nine six, the Safe Street Vending Act or whatever it was called, signed into law by Jerry Brown, and this decriminalized all aspects of street vending in an incredibly misguided attempt to protect illegal immigrants from getting deported, because this was during the Trump days, and you had to be a county to opt in if you wanted to do this. And what happened in the counties that did opt in, which include Los Angeles and San Francisco and San Diego, is if you have people that are operating street carts illegally, whether they don't have a permit, violating safety standards, or i don't know, straight up selling stolen goods.
Speaker 3: Guess what.
Speaker 2: You cannot have law enforcement interfere You have to have public works or public health. And in San Francisco and the mission where people were selling stolen goods. The public works employees were actually getting assaulted by all of the illegal street vendors that were selling stolen goods. And the answer to that is a bill that's been working its way in San Francisco and the legislature for years and years and years. Maybe it'll get signed into law where now there's a list of twenty commonly stolen items that you're going to need a receipt for if you're selling them in the mission, and if you don't have a receipt, you're going to get a fine on your third warning.
Speaker 3: That'll do it.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was about to totally forget about this. Seven ninety KABC welcomes Nelly with Special Guests Too Short of the Pacific Ampith Theater at the OC Fair on August second. Tickets are on sale now at packcamp dot com, but right now call on number nine at one eight eight eight seven ninety five.
Speaker 3: Two to two two gets a pair of tickets to the show.
Speaker 2: All concert tickets include admission to the OC Fare tickets furnished by the Pacific Amphitheater. Good Luck Dialing I good time for one more story. One of the bills that did not make its way through the legislature was Alex Lee's bill to put the kibosh on private equity firms buying up single family homes. And there is a debate as to how big of a problem this actually is, and there are definitely more important issues, but it's just it feels wrong right that these big corporations can outbid you with cash offers for single family homes. Well, while it failed at the state level, it actually was a provision in the new federal law, the one that for some reason Trump refused to sign. Now it is federal law that a company can't own more than I think three hundred and fifty homes. And it may be a small but symbolic step, but I think it's a step in the right direction. The people that should have the first crack at a single family home is a single family that plans to live there. That might just be a small step in the right direction. That housing law has a whole lot of other benefits, and with everything that we're doing in California, maybe it'll start moving the needle. But as we talked about yesterday, at what point do you build enough where the prices come down? And if you're a homeowner that's dependent on your equity. Is that necessarily something that you want? Check out the Accountability Podcast with John Phillips and Randy Wang at YouTube dot com slash at Accountability Podcast, and check out our live stream. Johnny and I are on live on video from noon to three every single day at YouTube dot com slash at Randy Wang Radio. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven ninety KABC