Speaker 1: Listen to B Sports Leader anytime anywhere, telln Mode knbr B Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continued live for the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios.
Speaker 2: Casino Matrix Progressive.
Speaker 3: Jackpots are here.
Speaker 1: Where are you just drop in one eight hundred gambler?
Speaker 4: All right, let's do it, man, Todd Hussac on our faves Tuddle. Todd listens, he sends in comments on Twitter, and uh, always enjoy on our DMS and tell stories back and forth, Little league tales. He's had a kid go through it now. Actually I think he's kids in high school now.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I digress.
Speaker 4: Let's get into the football team forty nine Ers Titans tonight and what we're looking for? What can we get out of tonight five o'clock kick? Todd will be there on our pre and post on The Leader. So Todd Hustock, welcome back to your boys, Murph and Marcus.
Speaker 2: Happy football season, dude. How you doing?
Speaker 3: Man? Hey? What's up? Todd? Oh? I'm doing awesome, looking forward to kickoff tonight. I will be there at Leevi's. I'm doing pre and posts for all games again this year and figure you guys would want to know him. Out walking my dog this morning a little after six o'clock. My neighbor saw me. He pulls over to stop and talk a little Stanford football. He rolled down the window. He's got you guys on. You got some listeners here in West Menlo Park.
Speaker 4: So that listener was not the usher from the ballast, you would have been a little night there.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you guys talking a little Stanford ball, all right?
Speaker 5: I like it, all right, John, So let's just say like number one thing you are looking at tonight, it's it's tough.
Speaker 3: We're all excited about football, but we'll see who actually ends up playing. I think Curtis work has a chance to show up. We haven't seen much of him in preseason, really any of him, and so a chance from the show what he can do and maybe solidify that third spot behind Brock and Mac. I'll be surprised if we see much of Mac. I mean, he was so valuable last year, do you It's really having a coach's balance risk of injury for upside, and I think you want to see more of the younger guys get a chance to play. A lot of the bubble guys, whether it's starters, or roster guys, And unfortunately, I would have loved to see Kylen Black today and I think he has a chance to be the best backup, but they've had under Shanahan and behind McCaffrey. We'll have to wait a little bit, but I think there's some Watkins. Can Jordan Watkins step up and make some plays the practice I've seen, he just hasn't. He's got a lot of opportunities in practice, he just hasn't been that guy that can make the plays down the field. We'll see if maybe he can step up on game day. So there's a handful of guys in the offensive side that you want to see something from it. Again, how much are the starters going to play? There's still that left guard spot that I think is a big battle this preseason and who ends up there on Week one in Melbourne. And then on the defensive side, we saw it last year with so many injuries that young secondary didn't get much of a chance to play together. Do we see a little bit more of that first unit or that maybe those guys for spots, whether it's starters or backups, and it's a chance for these guys to make plays. Right, We've seen, they've gone through a few weeks of camp. Lights are on, they're going to watch the tape and not just for the Niners, but maybe other teams around the league. Who shows up when those lights come on? And so it's always exciting. Every team's undefeated. Uh So a chance for all fans to have some hope. And I think the area fans need a little bit of that right now because Giants, Warriors, Sharks are on the way up. But the Niners have a chance to do something special I think this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Todd, I'm on the same page as you're looking forward to seeing some of the younger players tonight. And let's start with the wide receiver room. You mentioned Jacob Cowen, Jordan Walkins, but everybody wants to see Dejon Stribbling. How much do you think he's going to play tonight? And even outside of just tonight's performance, what have you seen from him throughout training camp stepping into Kyle Shanahan's offense.
Speaker 3: Well, I think he's that guy that we talked about Jordan Watkins being that guy can take the top off the defense, the four to three speed, the ability to get down the field, which the forty nine ers lacked badly last year and Stribbling has he looks like that guy stronghands, big wingspan. I think what he's been really impressive with is his body control and the ability to make plays in traffic. I go up and high point it out jump the defensive pack. Mike Evans has made a career off of that, a Hall of Fame career, So I think he's a great opportunity for Stribbling to learn from somebody like that. But he looks like that guy that can win over in the middle those fifteen yard routes that brock Perty is literally the best in the NFL at completing. He can separate. He's quick, but he more so he's big and strong, and I think can use that body to create that separation at the last minute. And you can just some guys you can watch and you're like, that guy has it. He has that. There's just this quality and whether it's body control or separation, just that quickness and then the ability to high point it and catch it in traffic and not get alligator arms. He seems to have all those little traits that frankly, we'd love to see from Cowing and we'd love to see from Watkins number one haven't stayed healthy enough to do it consistently and number two and they have had chances, haven't really made those plays. So Stribbling looks like a guy who's trending to be one of those top three wide receivers for I think a new look for a nitter passing game with some of the additions that they've made in the offseason. Again, I would have loved to have seen Christian Kirk and how he's assimilates in to this offense and is there a spot for him. We haven't seen any of him in camp, so that means there's opportunities for other guys, other young guys to step up, and Stribbling I think has made the most of his chance this camp because he's been in the talk of the camp with his athletic ability, understanding of the offense, and I think that would be a weapon that frankly Shannan hasn't had much of in his time calling plays with the forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all very true, Todd, who'sack the voice he hears your listened to Cambierre AM and Camberre FM CERI sco D sports leader, a Cumulus Media Station three o'clock pre game More forty nine or Talk five o'clock kickoff actual game forty nine Ers Titans. Should be fun just to see some reps and some red and gold on the grass. It's following up on Stribbling because he definitely has won the summer so far. But there's that nagging thought of Kyle doesn't like rookies. Kyle doesn't like rookies.
Speaker 2: You look it up.
Speaker 4: Deebo Samuel as a rookie fifty seven catches eight hundred two yards three touchdowns, also carried the ball fo.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty nine yards and three rushing touchdowns.
Speaker 4: And then Brandon at sixty catches seven hundred and forty eight yards five touchdowns in twelve games. So those are two examples of rookie receivers who had pretty good seasons. Now would you say Stribbling should kind of shoot for that kind of production or would we even say the sky's the limit and he can eclipse that.
Speaker 3: I think he has the ability to eclipse it, not just because of his ability in the way Shanahan has grown as a play caller. I think rookie wide receivers historically have not done much in the NFL coming out of the gates. I think the last few years we've seen the development of the wide receiver position where they're more NFL ready year one, and that's frankly been a bit we see in the draft. These guys are premium weapons on offense. When you can find a guy that can come in and do things early in their careers, I would expect Scribbling if you're looking at it at the end of the year, how does it project. I think you got Mike Evans, you got Debo, and you have Stribbling right now, the healthy guys, how do the you know, two hundred completions get distributed amongst those guys. I would expect them to be kind of in that sixty range and anything above that would be big time. And I think he has Mike Evans has that big playability, but Stribbling could be that guy that opens up the offense, not just for himself by running by people to catch and run, the ability, the yack opportunity. I think he has that big play kind of strike where they have needed that way too many twelve fifteen play drives last year that thankfully finished in the end zone. But the forty nine ers. If they can find that four play drive for a touchdown and stretch of defense, that makes Christian McCaffrey's job easier. That makes consa's job easier. Everybody's going to be a little more open. Run game is going to be a little more open and certain the other wide receiver. So all of a sudden, now, defensive coordinator, who do they look to stop. I think everything focused on McCaffrey last year, which is why he didn't have those big explosive plays, and a big part of that was they didn't have anybody who could push those safeties back. So they're going to be seven yards deep and when the ball snapped, they can come up and stop the run. So everything should work together if it goes well. If guys stay health A big if with the forty nine ers, but I think for him, but everybody else should benefit from his ability. If he can show up early in the season and be that guy, it's I think we're going to see a different forty nine ers offense, and we've seen the last few years Todd.
Speaker 6: There hasn't been a lot of open competition for starting spots on the forty niners roster throughout training camp, but one of those spots is left guard. You mentioned it earlier, So going into tonight, do you expect to see Robert Jones, Connor Colby, Carver Willis all those guys get opportunities that left guard and do you have a favorite between the three of who potentially could be that Week one starter.
Speaker 3: But I think that the frustrating part is Colby was the guy he came in with I think full confidence, and I don't know if it's a step backwards, but there's been talk that he has reverted back to some of the mistakes he was making last year, which they've got to be better at that spot. We saw it in the last two games against the Seahawks that he's got to be better on that interior at the center two guard positions. So all of a sudden, that opens up the competition again. I'm not sure how much we're going to see the night of that starting offensive line. It'll be. I think it's more critical in practice when that unit works together, when your next Trent Williams and the rest of the offensive line, how do they sort through their calls? How are they getting off the ball? All of those working together. But you could see all three of those guys compete tonight and how do they do in one on one matchups? Are they firing off the ball in the run game? Can they set their feet and protect? Can they pass off glitz and stunts? So I'd love to see Colby solidify it, But if if he keeps taking that step backwards, that's got to be a position that they figure out, because especially in division, with the Rams getting better up front, with the Seahawks coming back off Super Bowl and they have lost many pieces up front, so they're gonna be tough to stop. Can can they get solid at that position? I think you're right, that's one of the big question marks, and there's only a few weeks left to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Todd whosack the voice you here.
Speaker 4: He's going to be on our pre and post all season long, looking forward to forty nine ers football man, He's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, other than the Sharks possibilities to have.
Speaker 4: A really good season, and the Bay Area needs some love and hopefully the fort NOWSI give it to us. I'm looking at Yahoo Sports this morning and they have a chart from about the NFL preseason and QB One's is in our lifetime Todd two thousand.
Speaker 2: What year were you in the league. Were you in the league in two thousand?
Speaker 3: Drafted in two thousand? Yeah, they have a couple bicks beyond Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: The number of that's awesome.
Speaker 4: The number of preseason the percentage of preseason quarterback snaps by QB one and two thousand was thirty two point nine, and the number of QB one snaps in preseason last year was nine point eight.
Speaker 2: Do you like this trend?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's way more important to keep the qbs healthy right now because you look at the teams that have had success regular season playoffs, it's been teams with a healthy, really top tier quarterback, and so you lose a guy like that, your chances of winning. I think there used to be not as big of a drop off between QB one and QB two, where now it's that's a huge chasm, and so keeping those guys healthy it makes sense. It's funny. I go back to when I was a rookie North Turner. It was me, Brad Johnson and Jeff George, and I loved it because Jeff George said, I don't go in with the backups, So Brad Johnson would take his kind of series, and that it was me for three quarters, so I got a lot of works. I appreciate the Jeff's generosity in that one, but I think there is it's it's I talked about it earlier. It's such a balance between are these guys ready and I think the veterans, guys who have been in the league for four or five years, and certainly some of the older guys don't need that preseason work, and it's it's more critical to get some of those young guys under fire. Can they handle it? So all of those things and also once of the just quarterbacks, all of the starters played right. I mean, I go back to I think week three of the preseason with number four when I was there, that that first offense with the dand for three quarters, and so that that all of that has changed. I think the preseason has lost them of its value in that regard. But also it's tough to find, you know, fill out the roster, and there's there's really a hair difference between that guy that gets cut in that last wave and the guy that makes the team. So seeing more getting more of a body of work for those young guys. Also the roster, the preseason rosters are bigger where I think the final cuts used to be like seven or eight eyes, so you didn't have a big deep bench for the preseason. You had to play those starters, so all of those things work together. I'd much rather see quarterbacks be healthy for the regular season because the product is so much better. It gives your team a chance to win and compete. Versus watching a guy go down in Week two of the preseason. It's just not worth it, Todd.
Speaker 6: Last question for me is about the DC change for the forty nine ers, five different defensive coordinators in the last five seasons. Raheem Morris will be calling the place tonight and I know there's not going to be starters out there, but how much do you think we can maybe learn from Raheem Morris's defense and what he wants to do defensively even without the starters out there throughout preseason.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you mentioned it earlier, and he's much more dB friendly than maybe previous defensive coordinators and getting these guys to develop and play together. I think the forty nine ers they were such a bend but don't break unit. Last year they didn't get to the quarterback worse than the league. They didn't create turnovers a certainly interceptions, I think they're second worst behind the chance of it zero. So is it a more attacking defense? Does he feel better about that pass rush in front seven and Dre greenlove back? Do you rush a little bit more up and stout coming off the edge. The only way you can do that is if you trust your corners and safeties and coverage. You're gonna expose them a little bit in one on one matchups. So can he develop Bernardo Green to be I think has a chance to be a really good player in the NFL. Can he take that step forward after maybe a regression last year and all of a sudden if you have that secondary working together, understanding their schemes, understanding body positions and be more aggressive and create some interceptions. I think that's the philosophy of the defense. Last year Sala was okay, Well, he didn't have the personnel necessarily get to the quarterback, but he'll give up some drives and be stout in the red zone and hold them to three. Where some defensive coordinators like to attack, put guys in third and long, create turnovers and understand that you might give up a big play here and there, and I think this forty nine Ers team might be better built because of that explosive offense. If you can get them two extra possessions with turnovers, can they turn that into ten or fourteen points, then that's how they're gonna win some games where last year it was grinded out on both sides. And hope that your offense is good enough in the end to make that fourth quarter drive. Hope that your defense, like we saw against the Bears, is able to make that late stop.
Speaker 4: Last one for me, Todd is about a guy who's not going to play tonight, and that's Nick Bosa.
Speaker 2: I just did a little research here. You played on a two.
Speaker 4: Thousand Redskins team that had thirty seven year old Bruce Smith, my guy. I love Bruce Smith. Ten sacks that year. By the way, for Bruce Smith at age thirty seven in sixteen games, the leading sacker was a guy named Marco Coleman, thirty one year old at twelve sacks. But the point is is that those guys are both in their thirties, and their sacking quarterbacks nixt twenty eight and now is plagued by week to week ten to nightis I know you didn't play D line. I know you weren't in edge rusher, but you were around NFL locker rooms and trainers.
Speaker 2: How serious is this for Nick Bosa in terms.
Speaker 4: Of just I know you don't have the the X rays in the MRIs, but just like what you know of the league, is this sending up a red flag in your brain? Or is this something that could be managed and he's going to be elite?
Speaker 3: Well, if if he's not healthy, that takes away his explosiveness and the ability off the edge. He can still be an edge setter in the run game because he's so strong and plays low and has great hands, But if he lacks that explosiveness that get off that allows him to get to the quarterback, I'm more concerned about that. Can't I'd rather have him be healthy, you know, take some time and be healthy in one hundred percent. Maybe it's fewer plays, but they need that MVP Nick Bosa or Defensive Player of the Year versus a guy at seventy five percent is just not as effective. So I think it is a concern coming off another knee injury and having problems in this preseason. They need the Nick Bosa from three years ago and not the guy that can't stay healthy. And when he is healthy, he's not much of a playmaker. He's just not not as effective as he once was. Can he still be a good player, of course, but I think it's a big year for him. You know, he's already proven he can. He is one of the best in the league win healthy. We need him healthy. The forty nine ers need him healthy so that defensive unit can work together, get to the quarterback way more. And he's such an integral piece. So it's tough and another preseason with so many injuries and he is such a cog, not just from a playmaker standpoint, but a leadership standpoint. I mean, they lost Bosa and Warner last year. Credited that the solid staff and keeping that group together, but they need somebody up front who can have set the pace and become that defensive front, that front seven that is fierce bead. Last year they were not. So I'm hopeful that he can come back healthy and to be one hundred percent, And if he has to miss some time, so be it. But I'd like to see one hundred percent Bosa and back to the player that he once was.
Speaker 2: Good breakdown awesome.
Speaker 4: Loved it and will listen to more three to five and then the post game where we just talk football man. Forty nine football back in our lives. Todd Husseck will be on the coverage at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you, man, We appreciate your neighbor who listens. Yes, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: I got best punter. I played with.
Speaker 2: Tom Tupa, Tommy Toop. I remember that guy. I remember that guy, yeah, I do. I do remember too.
Speaker 3: He was also the backup quarterback. Yes, he played quarterback in like Ohio State, I think. And so that guy through. I want to say, I gotta go back through. But I bet he threw like seven or eight touchdowns in his NFL career, so.
Speaker 2: Well, I looked at it.
Speaker 4: I was looking at forty nine punters, you know, because I Marcus asked me, because we were talking about the punter situation, which we didn't talk about with you. They cut Jack Bowmeister, who was supposed to be the guy with the giant leg, the Australian kid, and they went with Corliss weightman.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that goes tonight. But he threw it at me, and I was like, man, he.
Speaker 4: Kind of I forgot Jim Miller, the barefooted guy from the eighty one team, and then Max Runeger was mid eighties, and then Barry Helton a little bit in the late ninety.
Speaker 2: And late eighties, really nice. But then I was looking at forty nine punters all time. You know who it was from forty six to fifty two. It was Frankie Albert, Stanford's own and he was the quarterback. So there you go. Quarterback punters is a tradition.
Speaker 4: Got the live FRANKI yeah, you probably saw Frankie Albert's picture in the locker room down there, I imagine.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, yea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well you you did the same thing he did.
Speaker 3: Buddy.
Speaker 2: Hey, by the way, August.
Speaker 4: Twenty nine, Stanford, Hawaii, Let's go, Let's go, Stanford, Hawaii.
Speaker 3: I'm ready, but I got a big one law week one.
Speaker 2: Bro, tell me about it? Are you kidding me? I've already you know.
Speaker 3: River teams are on the move, two.
Speaker 4: Teams with two charismatic young head coaches who are are getting a lot of love from their fan bases right now.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be a I just hate.
Speaker 4: It's a freaking night game at seven thirty, guys, play in the afternoon at Strawberry Canyon under my more, did you play a big game at night when you were there?
Speaker 2: Did you play them in the day?
Speaker 3: No? All during the day?
Speaker 4: Yes, Saturday afternoon walking up the campus, you know what.
Speaker 2: I mean, or the farm on a Saturday afternoon. I hate seven thirty kick in Berkeley, bunk Man.
Speaker 3: By the way, walking onto the field in the sunshine and walking off with roses in our mouth. And that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's a good day. That's a good day, absolutely.
Speaker 4: All right, man, take care, give your dog a belly scratch for us, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks though, Sound good guys.
Speaker 4: Tom Husac doing some good stuff covering the forty nine ers for us.
Speaker 2: Let's react to all.
Speaker 4: That and get ready for more fortyninred football. On the other side, Matt Mayoko at seven fifty on These Sports Leaders.