Speaker 1: And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, Mister Randy Wings in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, a new.
Speaker 3: Report from the State Legislative Analysts Office has shown in the last seven years as governor, Gavin Newsom has increased spending in the state of California by one hundred billion dollars a year.
Speaker 4: Accountability, accountability, accountability.
Speaker 1: Well, at least we have all of this to show for it.
Speaker 5: I don't know why we're so damned sheepish.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. All right, let's go back to the sound of last night's debate between Spencer Pratt, who is running for mayor of Los Angeles of reality TV fame, incumbent Mayor Karen Bassie wants another four years, and socialist councilwoman Nitthia Rahman.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've got the Jeopardy board here. All right, John, our topics are the fires, crime, homelessness, the budget, housing SB seventy nine, or Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Let's do homelessness.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, here we go.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about homelessness. Four years ago when we did a debate. It was a number one topic. It is right up there again.
Speaker 2: Karen Bess did a great job. Good job, Karen.
Speaker 6: This is an.
Speaker 4: Issue that continues to challenge the city, homelessness. Many residents say the homeless in their neighborhoods make them feel unsafe. They feel the homeless have more rights than the residents do. So these are two yes or no questions for each of you right now. Getting off the street is voluntary? Should that change if a bed or a shelter is available, Mister Pratt, We're going to start with you, yes or no.
Speaker 7: It's illegal to live on the street, so yes, everyone needs to go inside.
Speaker 8: A may Or Bass, everybody needs to go inside. Making it illegal and arresting people is not the way to say solve this problem.
Speaker 3: Miss Ramen, really, because when we did that, we didn't have as much of a problem as we have now.
Speaker 1: What could she point to from her four years is mayor that has made homelessness better. Having the cops look the other way as they break every rule in the book has given us the bedlam that we have on a daily basis. Ms.
Speaker 9: Ramen, Yes, people people need to go inside when they're offered shelter they go inside.
Speaker 3: It is unanimous here Colleen does not like Nithea.
Speaker 2: Who does what if Colleen lives in Sherman Oaks.
Speaker 4: Next question, do you support the ordinance that restricts encampments in front of schools or daycare centers?
Speaker 6: Mayor Bass?
Speaker 4: I'm going to start with you, yes or no? Ms Raman, Yes or no.
Speaker 9: I you know I support keeping our streets safe. I did vote against the structure of this particular ordinance, and it is because yes or no, it does not the way.
Speaker 6: This ordinance was structured. It does not keep our children safe. It doesn't keep our children safe.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Why does it take that long to get a yes or no out of this lady?
Speaker 3: Because it doesn't sound good when you are asked, should we make sure there are no homeless encampments near schools? And she says no, so she has to qualify it, even though she has voted against clearing homeless encampments in front of schools over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: You know, having her on the stage, maybe Joe Pollock is onto something. It does make Karen Bass look reasonable standing next to this complete whack job lunatics.
Speaker 6: It doesn't keep our children safe enough.
Speaker 4: It's a simple yes or no question, mister Pratt, Pauline is done.
Speaker 7: What I was saying is she's fighting because she doesn't think there's a difference between one foot or five hundred feet for kids' safety with drug addicts.
Speaker 4: From machete out in front of yes or no.
Speaker 1: I love my Spencer Pratt. He's so fantastic.
Speaker 3: Can you remember another time in any mayoral debate that we've covered over the last decade where someone said the term machetes on the stage?
Speaker 1: Well, Daddy Trejo, he did cut an ad for Kevin da Leone, didn't He?
Speaker 3: Yes, he did, But I think I already took it off the wall because it did not think it was ever going to be relevant.
Speaker 7: Again, of course, we do not want a camments in front of schools.
Speaker 3: Although we did see Kevin de Leone at the governor's debate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was he doing there?
Speaker 2: He had a big fu beard going on.
Speaker 7: Of course, we do not want a camments in front of schools, parks, daycare.
Speaker 3: I don't views where you talked about how is that a hard question?
Speaker 1: That's a layup where you talked.
Speaker 10: About inside safe. Let's go into that a little bit. You've suggested that there has been progress made, but even the Los Angeles Homeost Services Authority, which the city contracts with, has said that upwards of forty percent have left and gone back to the street. I mean there's a concern that a lot of money is being spent. There's been some progress, certainly not enough. I'll have you defend your program.
Speaker 8: So Conan, I declare a state of emergency on day one because I know that what Angelinos want to see are their streets clear.
Speaker 2: So when are we getting to that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the deal with declaring a state of emergency? You can declare a state of emergency if you don't do anything to combat the problem. You can make as many declarations as you want. Nothing's going to improve.
Speaker 3: Well, the point of the state of emergency was to have a big problem. That means nothing. At the same time, it also means that there was zero oversight of the money she was spending because it's an emergency, and that's how we got to motel rooms that cost seventeen thousand dollars per bed per month.
Speaker 1: So it was a license to burn money.
Speaker 8: Yes, Insight Safe is the only city wide program that we have had that has reduced homelessness two years in a row.
Speaker 11: Prior to that, there.
Speaker 3: Was nobody's buying that. Nobody who lives here believes these numbers who out.
Speaker 1: There on planet Earth outside of maybe people who work for her, is buying into that nonsense.
Speaker 3: She is saying that it's eighteen percent better than it was. If that's true, nobody's noticing it. And you want to add, you want to know how that's not true. Look at the place where it's the most visible, skid row. It ain't eighteen percent better there, it's worse.
Speaker 8: Prior to that, there was no citywide strategy and homelessness was going up year after year.
Speaker 11: We need to have an in touch.
Speaker 3: They also change the methodology of how they count in twenty twenty four, but we're not going to get into the details of that.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you something else. It's not just seeing people on the streets, it's seeing the remnants of people living on the streets. La is dirtier now than it has been in my entire life, and it's not even close. There is trash everywhere, there is graffiti everywhere. Nothing is being kept up.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm going to be as bold to say that in a couple of years. If things really turn the corner up in Oakland, the city of LA is going to be known as the city of Dumpy.
Speaker 11: We need to.
Speaker 8: Have an entirely new system that is frankly independent.
Speaker 2: Have a new system. You're in charge now.
Speaker 8: We need to have an entirely new system that is frankly independent that in the city of Los Angeles, because we need to build out services once we get people off the street. The same report also said that sixty percent of the people in insight say stay inside.
Speaker 1: Imagine being a bass voter and listening to this and going, yeah, you know what, she's good enough.
Speaker 2: This is LA. But that is a low bar.
Speaker 11: So it is a program that is working. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Does it need to be there, we go, she's back at it.
Speaker 8: Absolutely? Does it need to be better? Does it need to be more cost effective? And we're working on that right now. By building temporary structures on city owned property.
Speaker 11: We can do this Los Angeles.
Speaker 8: We have been doing it for the last three years and it's the first time homelessness has gone down.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you if her performance, which is been universally regarded as atrocious, is good enough to get a second term, we're done. I don't think you understand what kind of ridicule is coming our way when the Olympics come to town. But it's not gonna be fun. And you know what, We're walking into this eyes wide open. It's not as if she has everyone snookered into thinking that she was doing a bang up job as mayor. We're all aware that she's a failure.
Speaker 12: Councilmember, Ramen, So you promise to clear half of the encambments by the Olympics and all of it by the end of the term if you get elect bitter Yeah, my question to you, you've been in.
Speaker 2: I do like that. The Telemunda guy calls her Ramen.
Speaker 12: My question to you, you've been in the city council for five years. Why are we barely seeing this plant yesterday? I think it was posted on your Instagram and is just realistic.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, it's really oh it too.
Speaker 1: Well. They have a lot in common with Shang in any number of ways.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, at least she's got a badonka donc Absolutely.
Speaker 9: It's realistic, and it's realistic because I've done.
Speaker 6: It in my own district.
Speaker 9: This is exactly the plan that I've I've operationalized in my district to get.
Speaker 3: I go to Sherman Oaks A lot people are not happy with your job performance.
Speaker 1: She did get re elected. How that happened, I don't know, because everyone I know that lives in that district or has the business in that district, has some sort of horror story involving her in her office.
Speaker 9: To get a fifty four percent reduction intensity came in my district in three years, ok, in three years, yes, and I am one council member and proposing a plan for an entire city.
Speaker 3: At this she is the head of the Homelessness Department, the Homeless Committee in Los Angeles. She has been in charge of since twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: And before she was elected to the council, she came from one of those phony, blooney homeless groups.
Speaker 9: And proposing a plan for an entire city at this time, it is absolutely realistic.
Speaker 6: But what I want to go back to.
Speaker 9: Is the idea that we are satisfied with our homelessness system right now. I don't think anybody in Los Angeles right now can say that we are satisfied with spending extraordinary amounts of money on our homelessness response and getting only incremental progress.
Speaker 6: In response, I want to change that.
Speaker 3: Let's use the dollar you're in the city council right now.
Speaker 1: She is so bad. I'm telling you, I know that she is of the belief that Spencer Pratt and Karen Bass are working together. I am now starting to think that she and Karen Bass are working together because she is so bad that she makes Karen Bass look like an adult standing next to her. So what you're saying is she's the ugly friend at the bar one hundred percent, or the kids call them the grenade.
Speaker 9: Let's use the dollars that we're spending. Let's actually build out a real system that can get as many people indoors as possible. Let's not put them into one hundred thousand dollars a year motel.
Speaker 6: Rooms for a year or more per person.
Speaker 9: This system is not fiscally sustainable, and we must work to end this crisis with urgency and with accountability right now.
Speaker 12: So you'll make it into sure they've been so clear all of the comments. By the end of your term, if you get a.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Come on, who's believing that nobody?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 10: Mate?
Speaker 8: I have to respond because I know the statistics she's talking about in her district, But the statistics are there because of inside Safe.
Speaker 2: They both want credit for the failure.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, because she is called on inside Safe.
Speaker 3: Repeter, you didn't understand, Johnny, this hits the different when you live in the city.
Speaker 1: As someone who used to live in Los Angeles County, it's entertainment for me to watch. I guess I go there for the airport and go to the office and for entertainment and for restaurants and those sorts of things. But my god, I am so glad I do not live in that city on a day to day basis.
Speaker 2: I wish I could say.
Speaker 8: That because she has called on Insights Safe repeatedly, I took the initiative to go into her district to make sure that that encampments were How.
Speaker 3: Many stories have we done of naked people attacking people on Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks in the last four years?
Speaker 1: How many have we done in the last two weeks.
Speaker 8: Clear, we absolutely need a new system and it has to have a comprehensive approach.
Speaker 11: And there's no rooms for one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: You're right, they're more than that.
Speaker 4: We need to move on. So, mister Pratt, you have been cytical of what you.
Speaker 3: Consider seriously with the squabbling that's going on in the blame game, Spencer Pratt looked like the adult.
Speaker 2: In the room.
Speaker 1: Oh, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: You have been cytical of what you consider failures of the current administration on this issue. You advocate for what some have called get help or get out of the way. What is that and how do you do it?
Speaker 5: I don't know who made up that name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how you say. Some have called what you want to do this? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a weird way to ask a question. Colleen's been around for a while.
Speaker 7: First off, let's I just want to say, Counsel of Robin acts like she doesn't have any authority with this homelessness. She was the third most powerful person in city council, she runs the homeless housing thing.
Speaker 5: She acts like this is just may or best.
Speaker 7: First off, inside safe, I like to say, inside is safe makes all of us outside unsafe. The reality is, no matter how many beds you give these people, they are on super meth.
Speaker 1: Fact Jack true, they are on fentanyl.
Speaker 7: The DEA statistics says ninety three percent of this is a drug addiction problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: As someone who has seen many homeless people on the streets of Los Angeles. The answer, of course is duh na.
Speaker 5: Councilman Robin's plan for treatment.
Speaker 7: First, I will go below the Harbor Freeway tomorrow with her and we can find some of these people she's gonna offer treatment for. She's gonna get stabbed in the neck these people.
Speaker 2: I needed this debate, I really did.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I love the fact that these two women are getting at least a glimpse into reality because they both exist in these bubbles where everyone is just as Kookie left when as they are, and that's all they hear all day long, and they give each other awards, and they congratulate one another, and they thank each other for their leadership, and they never hear the alternate point of view. And right now they're getting it in the face like a two by four.
Speaker 3: Well, and there's this kind of rule in your inelected office that you have to talk as politely as possible about this program. Right now, Spencer Pratt is talking about this program the way every single resident talks about this program to their neighbors and to their friends. They all are sick and tired of the drug addict bombs and they use way more harsh language than that.
Speaker 7: But we're governed by the FCC. These people do not want a bed. They will Fennel or Superman.
Speaker 2: Super math. You take super meth.
Speaker 1: You can leap tall buildings in a single bound, or at least think you can.
Speaker 7: These ideas costs US over four hundred million dollars to house for.
Speaker 5: Sixty seventy What did you say?
Speaker 7: Three thousand people for four hundred million is absolute failure for both of them.
Speaker 5: They're a team.
Speaker 1: So he came prepared. Oh yeah, and he brought the receipts.
Speaker 3: So somebody just emailed this wondering if he did his debate prep by watching the two person debate that happened the night before at the Sherman Oaks home Owners Association and realized that he knew exactly where they were going with every single one of these questions.
Speaker 1: Oh, he does his research. When he came in for the hour and we interviewed him on just about every subject that the next mayor of Los Angeles is going to face. During one of the commercial breaks, we were talking about housing and I referenced something that Palmer Lucky, who was a billionaire, put out on X about what he would do to solve the housing problem in Los Angeles, and it was an interesting take. Essentially said that a lot of the areas with the worst crime are central to the city and they're close to public transit, they're close to the freeways, they're close to a lot of things that people need and use. And if public safety became your number one priority and you made those areas safe to live in, well, there's a lot of existing housing right now that normal people won't live in because it's too dangerous that suddenly becomes available overnight. And he was taking notes and he had an eight in and he goes, remind me later tonight, we're going to read that thread and we're going to talk to him and we're going to figure out how to incorporate this into our platform. He's not someone who just is cavalier about these things. He studies, he does his homework, and he shows up prepared.
Speaker 4: So Council Member rom And you have thirty seconds story.
Speaker 9: I want to just say to everybody who's watching today, you're going to watch today as Mayor Bass and Spencer Pratt attacked me because they want to run against each other.
Speaker 6: In the general election.
Speaker 9: Each of them thinks that running against each other is what's going to help them win, and they don't want to run against me because my ideas, which are based on real results in my district, which.
Speaker 1: Are based on what Mao had to say many moons ago, which.
Speaker 9: Are based on real data, a real analysis of the system, and a focus on accountability and using every dollar as effectively as possible, which.
Speaker 6: We have done in my district. I want to take the city wide.
Speaker 9: This is why this is happening today.
Speaker 4: Becaus, and we're out of time. I'm going to give each of you thirty seconds to respond to this.
Speaker 13: Can I start with you, and then I'm going to go to Mayorbell. First off, Mayor Bass and I are definitely not working together. I've blamed this verson for burning my house and my parents' house and my town and all my neighbors down.
Speaker 7: I am not working with Mayorbas. Second off, if.
Speaker 2: I'm it just keeps getting better and better.
Speaker 1: Johnny eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two If you'd like to email the show. You can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't like show at gmail dot com. And Randy. Now that we've crossed the halfway point of today's show, if you want to continue listening after we sign off at three, that's easy to do.
Speaker 3: All you gotta do is search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts, whether that's the Apple Podcasts app, iHeart Spotify, search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe.
Speaker 2: You can download all the episodes.
Speaker 3: You can do a Google on the YouTube, get the KABC app or the KSFO app. How about the KMJ now app because we're on the big KMJ and Fresno on Saturdays at noon. So many different ways to listen live to what we're doing here from noon to three wherever you are thanks to streaming, and you can download the podcast and listen on your time. You know it's great about podcasts. You can listen to them while you're doing anything else, while you're cooking, while you're exercising, while you're working. You can even have the TV on with the volume off while you're watching The Angels or the Dodgers in the meantime, what do you say we make a couple of listeners very happy.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's do that right now.
Speaker 3: Seven ninety KABC welcomes Bouji Bunten and Stephen Marley at the Pacific Amphitheater on June nineteenth. Tickets are on sale now at pacamp dot com. But right now colin number nine at one eight at eight seven ninety five two two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. All concert tickets are good for one time in mission of the OC Fair on Wednesday or Thursdays. Tickets furnished by the Pacific Amphitheater. Good luck dialing.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go back to the sound of last night's Los Angeles My oral debate hosted by NBC Channel four.
Speaker 3: So when we last left you, Ramen was accusing Spencer Pratt and Karen Bass of ganging up on her so they could both go into the runoff.
Speaker 7: I've blamed this version for Birdie, my house and my parents' house, and my town and all my neighbors down.
Speaker 5: I am not working with Mayor Bass.
Speaker 7: Second off, if I wanted to run against anybody, it would be the council member.
Speaker 5: Who is terrible.
Speaker 1: Mayor, She is terrible?
Speaker 5: Who is terrible?
Speaker 7: Mayor Bass has at least been a mayor for almost four years, and as she talked about earlier, the unions, all the unions endorsed Mayor Bass.
Speaker 5: You think it's easier to run against.
Speaker 7: The incumbent mayor with all the unions or a random city council member who's been a failure for six years.
Speaker 1: That one burned, by the way, random city council member. Oh, she's not gonna like that for six years.
Speaker 5: I would much rather run against Councilwoman Ramin.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much, very much, Christer patt So Mayor though specifically, there's a lot of money, billions that are spent on the homeless. Invents a lot of that and it goes to five one C, three's and nonprofits. Now we're hearing the Department of Justice has a lawsuit against the director of Abundant Blessings twenty three million dollars.
Speaker 1: They allege that was siphoned.
Speaker 3: That was the guy who was contracted to provide services for an inside safe hotel that pocketed the money and the money he was supposed to use to feed the homeless.
Speaker 2: He bought Ramen noodles with.
Speaker 10: It project home Key, I believe, not a statewide project to real estate developers accused of siphoning off forty million. There's a perception that we don't know where the money's going and that we have the legislative analysts and Sacramento said their twenty six billion dollars in state funds. We're not sure if that did any good.
Speaker 1: So how can we.
Speaker 10: Have confidence that the investment we are making in the future is not going into the pocket of some director who will end up in federal courts.
Speaker 8: First of all, I don't think it's talking that you do find corruption in big programs like this, and I think it.
Speaker 3: Is extreme, including corruption coming directly from the head of LASA that she appointed, Valicia Adams Kellum. Oh wait, excuse me, doctor Valicia Adams Kellum at a salary of four hundred and thirty thousand dollars a year, who a bunch on top of a whole bunch of other misconduct, was writing checks from LASA to her husband's nonprofit.
Speaker 1: And it's not like they're just stealing from the till. You're the sugar mama that's making it rain. You're the one that's making all of these people rich.
Speaker 8: Extremely important to hold them completely accountable. But I will just say that for the first time, we've had a reduction of homelessness.
Speaker 1: Nope, just think about what she just said right now. Yeah, there's theft, but who cares. It's working.
Speaker 3: We don't know where any of the money's been spent. But don't you worry. It's working great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to the right people. You know, it's going to my friend two years.
Speaker 8: In a row because of policies that I have put in place. I also believe we need to have an overhaul of the system.
Speaker 2: You're in charge.
Speaker 1: She really thinks we're dumb, doesn't she. She got elected.
Speaker 3: People in this city looked at a choice between her and Rick Caruso and chose the communist.
Speaker 1: By the way, have you seen that he's been posting on social media a lot lately?
Speaker 3: Rick Caruso has decided instead of getting into politics, he wants to be an influencer.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because he spent all that time with oj not Simpson, but Y Walchlin's daughter.
Speaker 2: Olivia Jade Yes.
Speaker 3: Fun fact, when the big bust at USC happened, with all the call Edge admission scandals, which included Lorie Lochlin's kid getting into usc because of a bribe. Olivia Jade was partying on Rick Caruso's yacht.
Speaker 1: You know, I keep having to remind myself that I need to elaborate and explain who I'm talking about. When I say that Rick Caruso likes to spend a lot of his downtime on his yacht with OJ, people get the wrong impression.
Speaker 5: What's going on in America.
Speaker 3: That man will have the capital on those two letters for a very, very very long time.
Speaker 1: Christ in Peace Jews.
Speaker 8: But I can tell you the streets that we have cleared, crime is down.
Speaker 3: Where where is crime down? There have been literally burglaries every single day in the last month in the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 8: Firefighters don't have to go out. Fighters spend thirty percent up of their time putting out fires that are related to homelessness.
Speaker 11: Business.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's fifty percent. That's what the fire chief who you fired said.
Speaker 3: Well, and in some stations, like the one near MacArthur Park, it's eighty percent.
Speaker 11: To homelessness.
Speaker 8: Businesses are able to have customers.
Speaker 2: You mean all the ones that are closing.
Speaker 1: It's the crisis levels for Heaven's Jake, kids.
Speaker 8: Are able to walk to school and parents without navigating tents.
Speaker 11: That's what I would say.
Speaker 1: But I go back to our conversation yesterday with the woman running for insurance Commissioner. She said one of the big reasons that people can't buy insurance in California is because of the crime.
Speaker 8: But I have to say about my colleague here is that, yes, she is a member of city council.
Speaker 11: She chairs the Homelessness.
Speaker 8: Committee, but she also in order to get anything passed in city council, she has to build an alliance with her colleagues, and she has not been successful in doing that, which is why she has not been able.
Speaker 1: To pass that she's talking about.
Speaker 2: Thank you, council member, Bradmen. So this also happened under your Brammen.
Speaker 1: You know who this guy reminds me of?
Speaker 2: Who's that?
Speaker 1: Who is the guy from the Princess Bride? Ohn Inigo Montoya?
Speaker 12: Yeah, h council member of Bradmen, So this also happened under.
Speaker 3: Your watch the councilor Ramen, you kill my father prepared to die.
Speaker 12: Your plan calls for fully staffing the Bureau of Homelessness oversight, which the city council established under your leadership. So the question is, why is it not fully stuffed as we.
Speaker 6: Speak, it's not so uh, I.
Speaker 2: Boy, she is so rattled, she is.
Speaker 1: This is the first time she's probably been challenged in a good long time.
Speaker 9: I as part of my efforts to create accountability on homelessness, I've been pushing for greater oversight within the city. Right now, in the city, there is no one who is watching our dollars.
Speaker 6: There's no one even.
Speaker 2: You're in charge.
Speaker 1: It's a cowek will brand.
Speaker 3: And in fact, Los Angeles' charter is set up in that we are a weak mayor system. The city council technically has more power than the mayor.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe that's part of the problem.
Speaker 9: Even as we're spending hundreds of millions of dollars every year, there is no accountability in the city. There's no staff at the city that are making sure that every single dollar that you are spending your tax dollars are going to the issue of homelessness. People are not watching to make sure those are going towards outcomes. They're not watching to make sure that every dollar is being spent appropriately. That is because the city has not invested in oversight.
Speaker 6: I've been put by the.
Speaker 3: Way there there is a mechanism for oversight in the controller's office, and the mayor blocked the controller from auditing inside safe. And she was asked about it at the debate the other night with Phil Schumann in Nitia in Sherman Oaks, and she said, I don't like the idea of elected officials auditing other elected officials.
Speaker 1: Most transparent mayor at the Los Angeles history.
Speaker 9: In oversight, I've been pushing for exactly that oversight. I created the first data around performance that the city had because I pushed and it happened. I established the Bureau of Homelessness Oversight through my powers as a council member.
Speaker 6: But the mayor is the execs.
Speaker 3: So either you do have a lot of power or you have no power. She is really not good at this, she's terrible.
Speaker 6: But the mayor is the executive.
Speaker 3: I have known for a very long time how terrible she is at her job. But she is also terrible at campaigning.
Speaker 6: But the mayor is the executive of the city.
Speaker 9: She has the power to move departments, to hire, and to build out the staffing. A year after this was established, No new staff members have been hired for this. No leadership has been hired.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you, mister Pratt. This next question is we're doing about sixty seconds.
Speaker 3: Mayor Bath would like to respond, I heard we might might be my favorite moment of the entire debate.
Speaker 2: We no, I'm just go ahead, man, we thank you.
Speaker 3: Let me just Spencer comes off this thing looking like a real nice guy.
Speaker 1: He does a gentleman.
Speaker 11: Let me just say.
Speaker 8: That the bureau that the councilwoman is referring to is being staffed. Half the staff are there now, and.
Speaker 11: We have been reducing homelessness. Again.
Speaker 3: No, she has decided, whoever is in charge of her campaign has said, just say over and over and over and over again until you're blue in the face, that homelessness is down.
Speaker 1: I guess they must have polling that shows that someone out there believes that.
Speaker 8: For the first time and building out a system that needs to be built. The problem with my colleagues, though, and I appreciate your interest in data and all of that. That is important, but I believe it was important to act in this city. Angelinos do not want to see encampments on your street.
Speaker 4: Thank you, mail, Sorry, Okay, mister Pratt, mister Pratt, thank you for directing traffic up here. We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to take a quick break. When we return, we'll tell you what Spencer Pratt had to say about that last exchange. Eight hundred two two two five two two two East telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at Gmail. And Randy ere monitoring the mail bag.
Speaker 3: Dan writes in it, Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. And he thought it would be wise if I made a drop out of Nithia, needing a hard reboot.
Speaker 6: It's not so I.
Speaker 3: Control out delete Nithia, it's so I.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hear what the candidates have to say about this Broke Gas Cities budget.
Speaker 4: How does your professional experience qualify you to make sure and to oversee a budget the size of LA's fourteen billion dollar budget. We know you're passionate about what you're doing. We know you're an entrepreneur, but this is a fourteen billion dollar budget. What kind of experience do you bring to the table for.
Speaker 7: That, Well, thankfully, I have common sense and I'm humble, I have humility. I'm going to surround myself with the smartest people in the world because I actually don't have to balance the budget.
Speaker 5: The mayor doesn't, but balance much.
Speaker 7: She has a CEO, she has a team, and we're not gonna be that's true, yep. And we're not going to say she's the best team. But she has a team and they balance the budget. My job is to be as crazy as this will sound, I'm the adult in the room here at Spencer Pratt and that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's what he is. Having a good time he is and you can tell that he's enjoying it when I talked about Bianco yesterday at the gubernatorial debate about how he came off as angry and how it's so important even when you're critical of what's going on in the system, to be the happy warrior. You can be as critical as Spencer Pratt has been at this debate but still come off as likable. It's difficult to do, and sometimes it can be like threading the needle, but it's just such a better look than coming off as angry, and that's what.
Speaker 5: It's that's what it's come to.
Speaker 7: And so I've planned on putting people that actually wan want to make sure all of our money, like counsel Councilwoman Rahman was saying, is accounted for pure transparency, every dollar, all of our tax money. And again back to what council Woman rom is saying about that in her own district, she let one of these NGOs. A building was on the market for three million is sold for eight million dollars to the NGO. With that tax money that she's so concerned about she wants to watch it all. She can't even keep track of the ENGOs in her own district stealing our tax money.
Speaker 5: So when I'm.
Speaker 1: Boy, this is refreshing. It really is.
Speaker 5: When I'm doing the budget, you.
Speaker 3: Know those Caruso debates, he really didn't go for the kill. Spencer is educated on the issues and he's going for it.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind, this guy has a background in political science. His bachelor's degree from the University of Southern California is in political science. So he's not walking into this blind.
Speaker 7: When I'm doing the budget, We're gonna make sure no was stealing our money.
Speaker 4: Council member Raman, you have a response for that, I'm I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Boy, she'd had to do the hard reboot every time she seriously thought, Oh, this guy's up a phone I'm gonna have I'm not evenna have to worry about.
Speaker 1: Him, and he caught her flat footed.
Speaker 9: I'm I'm I'm not sure what specific building Spencer Pratt is referring.
Speaker 3: To, but I will also just say that I'll post the link afterwards.
Speaker 9: I will also just say that we have pushed extremely hard to build the oversight system, so much so that I had to go out and get philanthropic.
Speaker 6: Support to create the.
Speaker 9: Data for performance oversight and accountability at the city. The city was refusing to put our dollars and our people towards it.
Speaker 6: This is important. Your tax dollars deserve to be watched.
Speaker 9: You deserve a system that responds to you with responsibility and accountability.
Speaker 6: That's what I want to establish.
Speaker 4: Robin, thank you, and Verve asked you have a response that as well.
Speaker 8: Sure, again, what I have done on my watch is reduced homelessness for the first time.
Speaker 2: Every single chance she can.
Speaker 1: Never misses an opportunity.
Speaker 8: What I have done on my watch has reduced homelessness for the first time two years in a row.
Speaker 11: We absolutely need.
Speaker 1: I think that's her tick when she's lying, is to use the word absolutely.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of people's tick.
Speaker 8: Absolutely absolutely, We absolutely need a system, a system that is able to provide services to people. It has been woefully, mopefully unacceptable what has been happening so far.
Speaker 2: I feel you're in charge of that system.
Speaker 1: She thinks she's just going to get a pass for the chaos going on everywhere.
Speaker 8: I feel we're moving in the right direction, and under my watch, we will continue to do that because we need to make comprehensive changes to what has been going on for so many years, years before frankly, either of us arrived.
Speaker 1: In all right. That was the sound from last night's La mayoral debate, hosted by NBC four