Speaker 1: It's time now for the Tony Vitello Show, our chance to talk with the Giants manager and Tony, you said on Friday that you had been to Fenway Park as a spectator, but obviously your first time as a manager a couple of games in. But tell us tell us your thoughts about Fenway because it really is a special place.
Speaker 2: No, it is. It's like time travel, and it's a little bit different, kind of like griglely, they got to update some things, and of course you want to maximize money. See you add seats above the monster and stuff like that, but it truly is like time travel and being a part of, you know, the grassroots of baseball. I guess you kind of feel like and you know then too your you're a little bit mesmerized because sitting in the stands is totally different than being on the field. So there is kind of an awe inspiring moment and the guys sign the back of the Green Monster, which is a tradition for players. But once the game starts, it's if you're winning, you love where you're playing at and then you get to a moment where the other team gets the bases loaded and you got to make a pitching change or something, then all of a sudden you hate it. But I think, like any park you go to, you got to embrace it and you got to enjoy it because it'll it'll bring out the kid and you to play a kid's game to the best of your level.
Speaker 1: And we're seeing a lot of young pitchers get opportunities for the Giants. Blade did well. We're getting a good look at him. He was terrific last night, shut out baseball into the sixth inning. What did you like most about Blade's performance last night?
Speaker 2: I think how he was on lefties. I mean, you know, Bray, you just wasn't seen it well. But to his defense, I mean Blade was suffocating the strike zone and he was doing it with a really good mix. So I think what got him off to a good start. They post here at Fenway what your strike percentage is. He was above seventy percent for the first few innings and that's the key for him, right yeah, I mean strike one. Of course, it's the key for anybody, but for him, it's really good stuff. But it's not stuff you want to dig yourself in a hole, you know, and just rely on. You know, you can go get one hundred miles an hour or something like that. So attacking the zone and then mixing. You know, from that point on going forward, maybe the strike percentage dips a little bit, but part of that is him making adjustments as he goes the second and third time through the order.
Speaker 1: And to be able to do this here, you know, with this crowd against a really good lineup, that's a huge confidence builder for really not just him but Dylan Smith who also came in and did a nice job. But what a confidence builder for young pitchers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we be you know, mistaken if we didn't say Seymour in Cleveland here in tight games is going out there and has a total different look in his eye than his first go around with us, goes back to sack, comes back up and really says, I'm gonna be me, which I think every player if they can do that, which it sounds easy, but it's a hard decision. I'm gonna be me on the mound or in the batter's box and just see what happens. And it's going very very well for him. We asked a lot of him and Smitty last night. We essentially used all the pitchers we had available, and those two guys should take confidence away from last night, not disappointment.
Speaker 1: Lots of opportunities for Giants' young pitchers. We'll have more of the Tony Vattello Show right after this. Welcome back to the Manager Show. We're talking with Tony Vattello, the manager of the San Francisco Giants. Another youngster gets a big opportunity today. It's Matt tug Bot Wilkinson and tell us what the plan is today, Tony with him because he went two innings in Cleveland that was on Wednesday, so really three days rest, how long will you go with him today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be something we'll kind of reaffirm with a discussion right before the game with the whole group. But I think right now, you know, four innings is not unrealistic, you know so, but I think something beyond that would have to be a really low pitch count or you know, have all hands on deck ready to go in the fifth inning or something like that. So just trying to give a baseline. But for the most part, it's let him have the first inning and then kind of go from there. It is a shortened bullpen that we have, so it's affected some decisions I think we'd want to give him a longer leash, but at the same time be sensitive to the fact he did have a twenty five pitch outing as you said on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: And how do you explain his chance to succeed Because it's a ninety million hour fastball, but there seems to be some deception there. What do you see with that? And what is it that makes him potentially to be able to get people out with really maybe a below average fastball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think it's deception, but overall it's his competitiveness. He's got extreme self belief. I really feel like when he gets out there, baseball is his outlet in life to shine through and be who he is. And then two, it's the conviction behind the fastball.
Speaker 1: On a lighter note, what does he go by? I mean, if he walks through the clubhouse and his teammates want to talk to him or you want to talk to him, is it Matt? Is it tug boat? What are we going with right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just tug or tug boat or variations of but very rarely is it Matt Wilkinson. And now I'm familiar. I had zero idea what his real name was. Buster brought it up. You know. I saw him pitch when he was a freshman in junior college, and Buster brought up his name in one meeting, and I had no idea who he was talking about, but I didn't want to interrupt the meeting. And then there's been a couple of times media has thrown it out out there, but now I'm familiar. But he is known nationwide and also to our neighbors to the north as Tugboat.
Speaker 1: Thanks Tony, good luck today.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's the manager of the San Francisco Giants, Tony Battello and the Tony Vattello Show. Thanks for joining us. We'll have more Giants baseball coming up.