Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio at the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: And now, here's Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: Later today, both sides are expected to deliver closing arguments, and then this case will be in the hands of a jury. Testimony ended Wednesday after jurors heard from those 85 different witnesses. The final witness was Dr. Gregory Sadoff, a forensic psychiatrist who also works with the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit. He was on the stand for quite some time. Sadoff testified for the prosecution that he believes that she was criminally responsible for killing the three children. and that she was, in fact, in control of her actions.
Speaker 2: We're going to hear more from Dr. Gregory Sadhoff in just a minute. So we're on at different times, different places, and some of you listen on the podcast, so our present tense situation gets a little tough. So that said, closing arguments are later today. They're going on right now, and I think it's interesting that CNN and Fox are both taking them live. It looks pretty compelling, so Hanson, keep an eye on that if anything dramatic is said today. We'll get that on the air, and then later in the show, we're going to talk to a guy who spent his adult life as a judge, actually Katie's dad, about some of the decisions that were made in the courtroom over the last couple of days and weeks. What a compelling story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it goes to some of the most bedrock fundamentals of human behavior, and when a mother violates... That, you know, the bedrock of human behavior and kills her own children. I think people just they need an explanation. They need to understand it.
Speaker 2: Some people just so horrifying. Some people just like criminal trials who don't, which I perfectly understand. Then I think when the element came along a week or so ago that you realize, wow, there are thousands of moms who are in support of this woman who killed her kids. That's a wrinkle that drew a lot of people in. Anyway, let's hear from this Dr. Gregory Satoff, who was on the stand yesterday.
Speaker 5: Having no instructions as to how to do it, but being able to execute those decisions, including being able to get a phone call and then return it to her husband in the process of all of this. Certainly the phone call was not expected. That is surprising that. She was able to accomplish all of this without any other kind of direction or plan.
Speaker 2: So he's making the argument that because she planned it, sent her husband to the store, knew how long it would take to kill the kids, and then it was interrupted with she had to call him, or he called her, I guess, and talked to her on the phone for a little while, but then she continued with the plan. Is more proof that she's not insane? I don't know what makes you insane or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one of the building blocks of the case, yeah. The other key... Well, I don't want to steal a thunder. This next clip might deal with what I was about to say.
Speaker 5: Hallucinations, even command hallucinations, when they occur, do not propel... an individual to automatically obey them.
Speaker 2: Doctor, is it possible for someone who is experiencing psychosis and commands hallucinations to conform their behavior to the law?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: That was interesting. So just because you got a voice in your head saying, kill your neighbor, kill your neighbor, that's not good enough.
Speaker 3: And they had at least one expert witness say, and if you know anything about criminal trials, you know both sides trot out experts and often contradict each other. But one of the prosecution experts at least said that he has never in his entire career dealt with or heard of a case where the voice tells you to commit an act, kill your neighbor, kill your child, whatever. It hadn't been doing that before. And then as soon as you do it, it stops. He says that's not the way it works. You don't pay off the voice by doing what it asks you to do and then it stops. It doesn't end.
Speaker 2: I never thought about that once in my life. That's an interesting thought.
Speaker 3: He said, that's not a thing. Huh.
Speaker 2: I'll be darned. I'd never considered that. If you do what the voice tells you to do, are you like out of the woods then? No, you continue to be. If you have voices talking to you, you continue to be that level of crazy. Of course you would.
Speaker 3: Because they're not actual voices. They're your brain. Good point. Which is diseased. Good point.
Speaker 2: Now we get into some of the good talk radio stuff of why and how many people think she should be going to jail as a murderer or not.
Speaker 6: The majority of people believe that Lindsay Clancy is not criminally responsible. If you asked me this a month ago, I would have said you're crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so you think that the insanity defense is going to work? I do.
Speaker 6: I'm going to shoot my shot, go on record and say, I think Lindsey Clancy will be acquitted or there's a possibility of a hung jury, but it's going to be significantly in favor of the defense.
Speaker 3: Maybe a few holdouts for the prosecution. Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: Because the public opinion has turned?
Speaker 3: I don't know. You got some dipstick lawyer on CNN or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting on its own that public opinion is turned. So as information is seeped out into the country, a majority of people now think, poor woman was crazy, couldn't get the help she deserved, there but for the grace of.
Speaker 3: God, etc. Huh.
Speaker 2: Does that mean we're compassionate people, or are we really off the rails?
Speaker 3: I think we're a people that's gone from thinking about mental illness too little to a society that thinks about it too much, honestly.
Speaker 2: And That's a good point right there. If you were going to say, have we gone too far down the road for excusing bad grades, bad workers, bad parenting, bad everything? Have we gone too far down the road of excusing all sorts of behavior because you got this or that diagnosis?
Speaker 3: Of course we have. Or, yeah, self-diagnosis even. Yeah, Bethany Mandel wrote a great piece published in the New York Post, um, Toxic mom rage is TikTok's latest trend, and it's making the moms even more miserable. I'll just hit you with part of it. First generation of women to be raised in the therapeutic culture that eventually gave us gentle parenting is now raising children of their own. Judging by the reaction to the Lindsay Clancy trial, it's not going well. These mothers were taught to analyze every negative emotion they experience, turning even the least discomfort over in every direction to analyze and dissect it. This mindset teaches you that sadness isn't something you shake off and anxiety isn't something you push through. Instead of encouraging resilience, its adherents believe that every unpleasant experience requires extensive processing. Then she says these moms are attempting to raise their own children according to the same philosophy, endlessly validating feelings, negotiating arbitrary boundaries, and striving to regulate the emotions of tiny people who possess neither reason nor impulse control. But, you know, in their own lives, it's the never ending, just the navel gazing.
Speaker 2: I know that I'm not the only parent that has dealt with this situation where you got a kid struggling with the world. Then they get a diagnosis of anxiety or something like that. And you feel incredible guilt for trying to force them through situations that where they've got a diagnosis, then you land at a point, maybe somewhere where you realize, well, maybe I've gone too far in like, just not saying, okay, yeah, it's hard for everybody. Get out there and do it. But I can, I feel that, you know, you got to do it anyway. So trying to figure out where you are on that as a parent is really hard. But I think in general, we've gone too far down the road of, no, you don't have to do what other human beings have had to do throughout history because you've got this diagnosis.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly. Yeah, I would agree. Boy, it's just society swerving from guardrail to guardrail once again, from overdoing it in one direction to overdoing it in the other, to the point that, and plus you have the always insidious, evil effect of social media, where women set up their ring light and their camera and stage a performative fit to get lots of sympathetic likes from other people and have their angst validated and the rest of it. But it's all performative. I don't know.
Speaker 2: In the terms of being too coddling of excuses for behavior, I always think of Christopher Hitchens, the thinker journalist in his autobiography, wrote a lot about his childhood at boarding schools where he was regularly sexually abused, beaten and bullied. It was part of the whole life for privileged or super smart kids in England for hundreds of years. You go into your parents sent you off to this expensive school and you were going to be sexually abused by their kids, beaten up and bullied. And his conclusion as a 50 something looking back on it was our society was better off when that was going on than it is now, which I think is.
Speaker 3: Really, really interesting.
Speaker 2: And the reason i brought that up was i think about times in my life if i had grown up in the 2000s instead of the 70s and various situations where i'd tell my mom you know i can't do that or i can't do that or whatever if she'd said you're right you're too you've got anxiety or you've got this or that you don't have to do it if I would have been better off or worse off than when I was just forced to power through various situations. And it's not even a close call as to which would have been better for me, even though it was incredibly miserable and painful at the time to have to power through various situations is the kind of kid I was. And I've never had a diagnosis of anything, but, um, but, but by, but by modern standards, I think I could have easily gotten diagnosed with some sort of, I don't know, ultra shy disease or whatever the hell, um, And I was better off being forced to suck it up and deal with it and endure the pain. There's no doubt about it in my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this editorialist used the term resilience earlier. And I remember when the, I guess it was a giant study of success among children. And they identified resilience as the number one most important characteristic. for success and we are teaching our kids out of it.
Speaker 2: I think about that word all the time because i have i have a friend who said uh years ago before i was i was a parent but my kids are still little he said my number one thing is because his kids were like high school college ages to try to make them more resilient some of them aren't i thought wow that's a good one that is a good word that is the thing i like to think about with my kids i want to make them resilient for whatever relationships that don't work out jerk teachers or bosses all those different sorts.
Speaker 3: Of things Social media does exactly the opposite. I want to dip a little more into Megan's piece here because I think it's absolutely terrific after the break.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: If you have any thoughts on it, text line 415-295-KFTC. Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: We got this text on the topic we've been on. I'm a teacher and I have a daughter and they are all pansies.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Succinct and powerful. So if you don't know what we're talking about, grab it by podcast, Armstrong and Getty on demand, Lindsay Clancy trial, uh, moms, uh, convincing each other that, uh, motherhood is misery, social media, et cetera. Um, And I like this piece written by, I like to give credit where it's due. I think it's ethical. Let's see. Bethany Mandel. Anyway, back to Bethany's wisdom. Sales of tripods. Oh, here it is. And she describes how women hurl ice cubes into bathtubs to vent their frustration about their child's tantrums without a hint of irony. They filmed themselves crying in rocking chairs, pantries, and parked cars about exhaustion, cleanup, and laundry. One woman even set up a camera to film herself reacting to her child tripping over an iced coffee she had set up in the middle of the playroom floor. Then they spent more precious minutes editing the footage into 30-second TikToks, lamenting the crushing difficulty of their lives. Instead of taking the walk around the block or catching that 15-minute nap, they could have reset their brains and turned the day around. This is therapy culture as performance art. It's every bit as melodramatic and overwrought as you'd imagine it to be, and it's making women ever more miserable. And here's where it really gets to the point. Nobody goes viral saying, my toddler had a tantrum today, but I ignored it and made dinner. There are clicks, however, in announcing that you are touched out, triggered, dysregulated, and drowning under the invisible emotional labor of motherhood.
Speaker 2: Well, and I remember when we were talking about this the other day, one of my thoughts was, how long did it take you to capture this video, edit it, get it on TikTok? You're so beleaguered taking care of your little kids. What the hell's going on there?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 2: You would have been embarrassed not very many years ago as a mom or a dad to say, I can't handle this. It's more than I can handle over mundane stuff. Like that has happened since the dawn of time with raising a kid. I mean, you would have been embarrassed to put that out and everybody would have felt bad for you. Like, ooh, that's kind of embarrassing that that person is so distraught over a minor tantrum every kid throws that they have to claim they're, you know, they're falling apart.
Speaker 3: Or being sleep deprived. Toughen up, buttercup. Would have been the message like for the entirety of humanity till social media. But one of the most interesting things I've learned about human beings in the last several years is is how many folks view everything that happens to them and what they say, what they express, not through the lens of truth or objective, you know, it being the right thing, but through the lens of acceptance. And if you can give people acceptance, they will spout the most inane and ridiculous things if they get social reinforcement for it.
Speaker 2: Not understanding that a lot of the enforcement might be from... crazy people or people who are, you know, not, it's not the, it's not the normal crowd that's reacting to, you know, a positive way, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You just. So speaking of wisdom, Arthur Brooks, who writes a lot about happiness and unhappiness for the free press. And he's a professor who writes books and stuff. Uh, one of his more recent columns is, uh, beware the Facebook parents group. Do using these groups make your kids' lives better? What about your own? The answer I'm afraid to say is no. And they've done studies of this. These millions of forums exist online from Reddit threads to private Facebook groups where parents communicate with one another about how to raise their kids. Some focus on tips for parents of new babies, but a very common type is populated by parents of young adults going off to college. And you've got helicopter moms who continue their helicoptering and trade tips on dorm wall paint colors, how to complain to the dean if their child gets a bad grade, the brand of soap in the bathroom. How you can door dash essentials to your child.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you, my parents did not know what kind of soap I was using when I was 20 years old.
Speaker 3: Just all just obsession with every detail of their now adult children's lives.
Speaker 2: And it's all just unhealthy.
Speaker 3: And he goes back to the I'm summarizing very, very quickly, though, brings me back to my audience members question. Does using these groups make your kids lives better? What about your own? The answer, I'm afraid, is no. And he goes into a bunch of research and then a study in the journal Biological Psychology. And it's absolutely terrible, terrible, all this stuff.
Speaker 2: The discussion that comes out of the result of this trial, the Clancy trial, which we might get, you know, any day now, is going to be quite the national conversation, I'm guessing, especially if she gets some sort of lighter sentence. for having killed all three kids. We'll be talking about it.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 7: The FDA approved that groundbreaking new drug, the one to treat pancreatic cancer. Patients taking the daily pills live nearly twice as long as people treated with chemotherapy alone, according to the researchers.
Speaker 2: Huge breakthrough in the worst cancer diagnosis you can get. Pancreatic cancer, which often, you know, you got four weeks to live, which is about as horrific as anything could be. Now they got a drug that's going to help that a lot. Is that the thing Ben Sasse is on where he announced, you know, I'm going to be dead in a month and he's still kicking six months later?
Speaker 3: Gosh, unless there are multiple miracle saviors for pancreatic cancer on the market right now, and there might be a couple, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe with AI, this is the much touted positive spin of AI ever, is that all the medical breakthroughs it can get. I hope we start hearing tons of those when AI gets going. On the other hand, Mark Halpern writes today, AI is now the biggest threat to America. And we'll get into that a little bit later. It's really, really interesting. I look forward to talking about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got the perfect story to go with it. The long and short of it is that those AI detectors that they can identify, that book was 30% AI or that magazine article, blah, blah, blah. They're notoriously inaccurate.
Speaker 1: Shocking.
Speaker 3: And a lot of people are getting impugned unfairly. Shocking.
Speaker 2: I am going to step into the, there's no winning in this conversation. Everybody will end up angry territory. Of autism diagnoses.
Speaker 3: Oh, super.
Speaker 2: But there is a new Swedish study out that if this is true, the shocking rise in autism, at least this century since 2000, has been mostly the mild kind. As we all know, it's a spectrum and, you know, you can you can be autistic. I have a friend who's a mom who has four autistic kids. ranging from quite mild to very disabled. And, you know, so autistic is not autistic. It's it's it's not a one word thing. You really need to know to what level. Well, according to this new, very large Swedish study that's getting a lot of attention. The with intellectual disability, in other words, you it really makes it difficult for you to to learn and function in the world has stayed pretty flat this century. The without intellectual disability has gone up a lot. All the increase is the without intellectual disability, autism. So, you know, take that for what it's worth. All studies need to be verified or not over time. And then what does that mean for our view of what autistic means?
Speaker 3: We're so early in the understanding of all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. I, for one, as a parent of an autistic child, am not offended or angered by your bringing us that story. It's very interesting, thought-provoking, and all the questions still remain. What the hell is behind it in the first place? Why the increases at all? What does it mean? Is one place on the spectrum actually distinct from another one? Is it a different thing that just looks similar? I don't know. I wish I knew.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: We have a lot to know.
Speaker 2: Wanted to get into this a little bit later. Maybe we'll play some of the audio. The body cam footage came out for Jed York, the owner of the San Francisco 49ers, soliciting prostitution. And it made every newscast in America. And I tweeted out the link to it and said, do we think this is a good idea? I wish we'd figure this out. You committed a misdemeanor crime that is like a $ 900 fine and you get nationally embarrassed along with it. Does that make sense as a punishment?
Speaker 3: Because it was about sex. Yeah, I know. I'm not comfortable with that. I have no interest in seeing that. I can picture it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is incredibly embarrassing. He committed a minor crime. Should you be nationally embarrassed among your friends, family, kids, everything for all eternity for a misdemeanor with a minor fine? We ought to make a decision on that.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if... This is not an argument in either direction, but it's clearly the downside of the transparency of our law enforcement system and our justice system in general. If I have the right to observe to make sure no cops are beating down suspects, I suppose I have the right to see Jed York being read as Miranda writes as he rolls his eyes. And I don't know if he rolled his eyes or not. I would have.
Speaker 2: He looks pretty schlubby and... Discouraged, I'm guessing. He comes off as a schlubby dope, there's no doubt. But imagine he was in a state of quite shock. Well, you're going from arousal to the clinky handcuffs, the bracelets of doom.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a tough day.
Speaker 2: You're going from thinking you're about to get some to... Wait a second. Put your hands behind your back.
Speaker 3: Oh, for God's sake.
Speaker 2: Well, if that's all it was, everything that comes with it, including being on the evening news, I think every day since it happened has been on the evening newscast four or five days in a row. Certainly in the media, yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow. Somebody famous did something embarrassing. Look, look, look, look. I just, I'm not super comfortable with that. Because I know where it comes from. It comes from an ugly place. And I indulge in it too, friends. And sometimes I really, really enjoy it. But that doesn't mean I'm proud of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tweeted this out and said, is this a good idea? Do we think we ought to do this as a society? Does the punishment fit the crime? And one of the responses was, we really enjoy the rich and powerful being embarrassed. Get over it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, you're always saying this is the charity you've chosen. This is the cause you've chosen.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You know, illegal immigrant inmates getting sex change surgeries. Really? You know, if I'm going to tilt against a windmill, it's probably not this one. Good point.
Speaker 2: Use my own logic against me. You win because that is a good one. Of all things, I should lose sleep over.
Speaker 3: Tell you one conversation that Americans are having is the flock camera thing. Flock cameras spreading across America and the backlash is growing just as fast. But the folks, I'm sorry, we're too hip for the room sometimes. Flock cameras are the stationary cameras that municipalities, towns, counties, states put up to capture license, not just license plate numbers, also dents, bumper stickers, and other identifying aspects of your ride. And then allegedly only if there's an abduction or a crime and the authorities need to bring down an evildoer, will they, you know, tippity tap type into their flock system? And the camera will say, yeah, he just went from a 43rd Street to 42nd. He's continuing south. And then they'll bust the evildoers, which sounds lovely as far as it goes.
Speaker 2: Well, all presented as we're building a surveillance state without anybody voting or deciding on it whatsoever. And if you think they'll only use it in crimes, you're hilarious.
Speaker 3: We have a state that is conducting a great deal of surveillance and that is growing. But does that mean we're building a surveillance state?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, it does.
Speaker 2: Well, and then you have to assume that whoever takes charge next, even if the current crowd doesn't abuse the power, how about 10 years from now? Remember all the moral panics we've had, the whole woke apocalypse thing, everything like that. Who knows what might be coming down the road in coming years where all kinds of people could justify going into the surveillance state info to keep an eye on you. Well, they're misgendering people. We can't have that.
Speaker 3: Right, that's a hate crime. Words are violence. Violence is death. Death is words. Or whatever the hell they spouted and people went along with it.
Speaker 2: Because you're weak!
Speaker 3: Oh, not you people. Not you people. I just can't believe anybody went along with that. Anyway, there's so much to be said on the flock camera thing. There's a big development in Florida, so we need to go big on that a little bit later in the show. Also, we've got, I'm trying to figure out, I have a bunch of stories about Islamism creeping into the United States inch by inch by inch.
Speaker 2: Camel's nose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And I'm trying to come up with a name because every feature that I do has to have a name.
Speaker 2: Of course it does with the graphics.
Speaker 3: But I want.
Speaker 2: Joe's point.
Speaker 3: And theme music.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: But I've got to be careful about the title.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I don't want to make it too easy for those who would try to kneecap us to kneecap us.
Speaker 2: So dig this. Do you remember when the scumbag assassinated a Minnesota lawmaker and her husband in their own home? Police searched the car and they found a notebook inside a handwritten list of 11 Web sites. Not weapon sites, data brokers, people search sites that sell your home address for a couple of bucks. You can just type your name into one right now. There you are, your address, your phone, your family's names, a photo of your front door. Anyone can look up all your information in seconds, and you'll never know who did it or why they're doing it, and that's why we use Incogni.
Speaker 3: You see, it forces data brokers and people search sites to delete you, then keeps checking because deleted data creeps back in. And Incogni is scrubbing us from hundreds of websites. All we had to do was sign up. You lock your doors every night, right? Well, tonight, lock your address down as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all you got to do is go to incogni.com slash Armstrong for 60% off. They use the law on their side. Get that info off the data site. That's incogni.com slash Armstrong, because the next time a stranger searches your name, let them find nothing.
Speaker 3: Incogni.com slash Armstrong. So more on the flock camera thing. Speaking of surveillance and everybody knowing everything about everyone all the time. I don't like the modern world. I'll be in the woods if you need me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am. We talked about this with Legal Expert Friday. I clearly have been on the wrong side of this for a long time. Most of you prefer security over freedom, are willing to trade. Well, that are willing to trade a lot of freedom for security. And that's just a fact, and I lean the other direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's a moving target, and this is the really, really difficult part of it, which is why I try to be at least sympathetic to arguments that I might not buy. Haiti is melting down right now. Haiti is always on the verge of melting down. That's where I was going to spend Thanksgiving. But, oh, you might want to rethink that. Did you pay in advance, or did you say pay when you check in?
Speaker 2: Well, you save 10% by paying ahead of time, so I've already got the Airbnb.
Speaker 3: But one of the few safe, fairly prosperous parts of Haiti is now being taken over by the armed gangs and is just falling apart, and it's horrific. Meanwhile, Costa Rica, the... Central American example of a peaceful, prosperous, prosperous democratic society is now got an increasingly huge problem with drug cartel.
Speaker 2: Gangs, and murder.
Speaker 3: The murder rate in Leon, the big city there, is skyrocketing as drug gangs are trying to carve up territory in the rest of it. So what I said about a moving target is if you ask the people in Costa Rica... If, hey, can we trade maybe a little bit of our liberty for cracking down on this? Because this is going in a terrible, terrible direction. I think the vote would change a great deal from what it would have been six months ago.
Speaker 2: True that. Coming up, apparently the Iowa State Fair has a mom-calling competition for kids. That is a pretty funny idea and sounds charming. And we'll have that, among other things, coming up.
Speaker 3: Stay here.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 8: The WNBA has ruled that Inez Cantor, Freedom and Royce White are ineligible to play in the league. Not because they're men, but because they're good at basketball.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's hateful. I don't I can't accept that as that's not a good.
Speaker 2: I don't like that either. Give us a different one that maybe we can agree with.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 8: And New York City Mayor Mamdani just unveiled a four billion dollar plan to improve the Brooklyn Queens Expressway.
Speaker 2: And get this.
Speaker 8: He's introducing an H.O.V.
Speaker 3: Lane for car bombers.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, oh, you know, and get this.
Speaker 3: Gutfeld is he's a bludgeoner. He really is. But I appreciate the tone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're going to talk about Islamism on the march coming up soon.
Speaker 3: At some point, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you need to get this on, too. Apparently at the Iowa State Fair, we played all kinds of clips along these lines over the years where they have a hog-calling competition or... Husband-calling, I remember. Bull-bullittling or whatever they're doing. You call yourself a bull?
Speaker 3: You couldn't mount a cow if I.
Speaker 2: Gave you a stepladder. Those are your testes? This is a mom-calling competition among kids. Mom, I'll get never got my ribs!
Speaker 5: Mom, when's dinner ready? Mom! Mom!
Speaker 2: Mamacita!
Speaker 1: Don't make me call Grandma!
Speaker 5: Mom!
Speaker 4: I cleaned up my room!
Speaker 8: Mom!
Speaker 1: Come here!
Speaker 2: My PlayStation's not working and the Fortnite update is in two minutes!
Speaker 1: Mom! Mom!
Speaker 2: Tina! That gave me a reaction. That put me on edge. Yes, I think it's because... Uh, sometimes if I get like five of those in a 10 minute period, at one point I'll have to say, there's going to be a day where you're really going to miss. There's nobody out there calling dad, but sometimes it's like, what now? What could possibly have happened since the last minute you needed me? That just made me really happy for some reason that my son van is not talking yet. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Give it a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So two things I want to mention. One, my arm is way sore than I thought it would be from getting my first shingle shot last night.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was at the CVS and I wasn't on my mind at all. I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I am an anti-tasker, as I've mentioned over the years. The reason I didn't get some of my COVID shots wasn't because I was strongly against it. I'd done the research or whatever. I got to drive over there and make an appointment. It seems like a lot of work. I'm busy. And that's the way I've been with the shingles thing, even though everybody has warned me, oh, you do not want to get it.
Speaker 3: It's horrible.
Speaker 2: And my doctor, when I did my physical a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 3: The disease, not the shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. The disease of shingles. You do not want to get. It's horrible.
Speaker 3: It's like being tortured for weeks.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I was there and I actually had time to kill. I dropped my kid off at guitar lesson. I was kind of like dragging around the CVS, like the magazine rack. There's nothing here. I want to look at it. I was just trying to kill time. And it was, you know, shingles shots.
Speaker 3: So many different kinds of band-aids.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Different hues, sizes.
Speaker 3: Shapes.
Speaker 2: Oh, those are waterproof. And then I saw the sign that said, no walk-ins available, no appointment needed, shingle shots, there's nobody there. And I thought, I got to get that done now. So I walked up and I said, what do you got to do to get, what's a guy got to do to get a shingle shot around here? And they said nothing. And so I like signed a piece of paper and went in there and got jabbed. And they said, your arm might be sore. And it's quite sore. I'm interested in that.
Speaker 3: I always get the, you know, some people react, blah, blah, blah, from flu shots and whatever. And I almost never have much of a reaction. Shingles is different. It's a plan. And the second one, plan on being down the next day.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God.
Speaker 3: You might not be. And, you know, Tylenol, whatever can help. But it causes a significant immune reaction. Wow.
Speaker 2: I usually ignore side effects stuff because I just don't get them. I just, my whole life, I just, whatever you say, this might happen to me. Yeah, it happens to other people. It ain't going to happen to me. And it usually doesn't, but this one did. And I'll keep that in mind for shot two, which comes like in six months or something.
Speaker 3: It's a number of weeks, but yeah, it's significant, but it's well worth it. I'm telling you, I've had two friends who've had cases of shingles and, you know, I don't want to compare it to anything horrific. Anyway, it's horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible. It will... ruin your life for a few to several weeks.
Speaker 2: I was going to talk about this maybe later. I've joined the weighted vest crowd because those are very popular right now. You probably see those at the gym, Katie says. All the cool people at the gym have the weighted vests on all the time, and I'd read about it and did a little research, and I walk every single day, so I thought, I'll get the weighted vest. So it comes in a couple of days, and I'll try it out. The guy at my gym that does pull-ups wearing one of those. Oh, yeah. Come on. I know. I know.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: And it's not their fault. They're super strong, but they know it. It's like being the hot chick walking through the room and nobody's looking at you. You're over there with a 40-pound vest on cranking out pull-ups because your own body weight isn't enough for you. Those of us who can't, you can barely do one ever with our own body weight. It's got the 40-pound vest. Oh, yeah, I'm cranking it. I had to put extra weight on because they're just a little too easy for me.
Speaker 3: Shut up. Shut up.
Speaker 2: But, yes, the weighted vest thing is a big thing. Some people just wear them all the time. I bought this really slim-fitting one that, like, is supposed to not get in your way much, and some people just wear them kind of all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do, too, except I didn't buy one. I just got fatter. So I'm, in effect, wearing a weighted vest to help strengthen my legs.
Speaker 2: That's a good positive spin on a little extra weight is I'm getting more cardio by carrying around this weight.
Speaker 3: You should look at my calves. They're beautiful.
Speaker 2: I'm doing myself a favor. I'll let you know how that goes, if I think it's a good idea or not, or if my knees all blow out in the first day.
Speaker 3: Kapow!
Speaker 2: Kapow!
Speaker 3: What are you going to do?
Speaker 2: Islam on the March, are you going to tell us about that?
Speaker 3: I am absolutely going to tell you about that, among other fare. Please stay tuned to grab the podcast.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty.