Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio at the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty. Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: And now, here's Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: I think that the California high-speed rail nightmare is the quintessential example of.
Speaker 2: Government waste and mismanagement.
Speaker 1: You say this needs to stop.
Speaker 2: It needs to stop.
Speaker 3: Congressman Vince Fong, a Republican from Bakersfield, sits on the House Transportation Committee. He says that when California voters first approved high-speed rail, the promise and price tag were more marketing campaign than realistic projection. We're now in 2026.
Speaker 2: There are no trains. There's no track laid. There's a complete bait and switch. I don't even know what you say about this at this point.
Speaker 4: I call it the greatest government theft of taxpayer money in American history. And, you know, it's, it's certainly in your top few. I think it's worth reviewing the numbers very briefly. It is almost hilarious. So about 18 years ago, Californians narrowly passed. Well, it was about four and a half point when.
Speaker 2: Being misled by a creatively written ballot. Oh yeah. 2008 ballot measure.
Speaker 4: Um, to have a bullet train that would travel between San Francisco and L.A.
Speaker 2: In under three hours. We'll just file that away.
Speaker 4: Legislative bill said it should be completed by six years ago, as we speak these words in 2020.
Speaker 2: Completed by six years ago? Completed. A bullet train from San Francisco to L.A. Completed, yes.
Speaker 4: And the California High Speed Rail Authority's initial business plan says estimated a cost of $ 33 billion. Oh, I forgot the lead of this Wall Street Journal article. Some 18 years after California voted to launch a bullet train that would travel between San Francisco and L.A. in under three hours, the project now costs billions more than planned. Hundreds of billions more than planned. Wall Street Journal, to it, the numbers.
Speaker 2: By the way, we're throwing in for people if you don't live in California, because a lot of you are listening around the country. We all know this in California. It's a 50-minute flight between San Francisco and Los Angeles, and it ain't real expensive, and they have them every hour all day long.
Speaker 4: Cost you less than a nice dinner with a bottle of wine, please. A decent dinner with a bad bottle of wine, as a matter of fact. Anyway, yeah, how many flights are there just between San Francisco and L.A. every day on Southwest Airlines?
Speaker 2: Like 50?
Speaker 4: 50?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I think it's hourly, certainly.
Speaker 4: If you include like Burbank and not to get overly local about it, but San Jose, yeah, it's insane.
Speaker 2: Anyway, let's see.
Speaker 4: So done by 2020, done at a cost of $ 33 billion. After years of legal battles, cost overruns, leadership changes, and political fights, none of that has anything to do with this. The price tag is up to $ 126 billion, bare minimum, with a high estimate of $ 231 billion and isn't expected to be fully operational until 2040 and isn't going to get anywhere close to L.A.
Speaker 2: Or San Francisco.
Speaker 4: You're going to have to take like a three and a half hour cab ride.
Speaker 2: Depending on traffic, the train station to the heart of the city. It's amazing how few journalists read the train authority's own website. They put on there what their current plans are, and their plans are not currently to have a train from San Francisco to L.A. It's from, what is it, Gilroy to Palmdale or something? Yeah, something like that. Which are towns not very close to downtown San Francisco or downtown LA.
Speaker 4: Said Democratic State Senator Catherine Blakespear at a transportation committee meeting in April.
Speaker 2: Quote, this is a disaster.
Speaker 4: I'm such an enthusiast for rail and I really wanted this to be a successful and just hearing these things make it seem like we're proceeding on a wing and a prayer.
Speaker 2: I know when I was going around England, I thought this is really cool. I never rented a car when I was in England. I went everywhere by train and they're running all the time from town to town and they were cheap and easy and But for a variety of reasons, we can't and haven't done that here in the United States. But that wasn't high-speed rail. That was just regular rail. It was a good way to get around. Oh, and then the high-speed rail turned into regular rail. That's the other thing that's on the website, if you read it. It's not bullet train like you see on some video about what they got in Japan anyway. Yeah, yeah. So, I don't know. There's plenty you could say about it.
Speaker 4: Also, part of the original plan said that private money would do most of the heavy lifting. But the initial plan included, and I remember we were talking about this at the time, and a lot of this most people didn't hear about because most voters don't know what they're voting about. But the estimates for the ridership and the ticket prices and every single number in the formula, every single one was updated.
Speaker 2: Utterly ridiculous. Shouldn't that be a crime of some sort? Shouldn't you be charged with fraud or something?
Speaker 4: It's not fraud if the government does it. And there have been all sorts of trials and cases and petitions to end the thing, just to end it. And I've been calling it a vampire now for like 15 years.
Speaker 2: It can't be killed. Here's a little more from the 60 Minutes piece on trying to complete this dang thing.
Speaker 3: Back in California, the rail authority insists state funds can cover the cost of the Central Valley leg.
Speaker 2: As for the rest.
Speaker 3: Just to be clear, as we speak right now, are the funds there to complete L.A.
Speaker 2: To San Francisco? The entire amount of money we need, not there today. But do we believe we can get those funds to get the project done? Absolutely. We believe we can milk more taxpayers for millions of more dollars. Basically stealing from them, basically the same as knocking them down on the sidewalk and reaching into their pocket theft because, you know, it's freaking theft.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do I just have do you have abnormal moral compasses or consciences? How does so many people rip people off and sleep at night? How do you how are there? So how many people must be involved in this? Thousands of people over the decades that know they're just flat out stealing. How do you do that with your life and be OK with it?
Speaker 4: You just see the scam all around them, and that's the scam is how you work it. It's like being in the Soviet Union or something like that. Scamming the government's the only way to get ahead. And the politicians, they understand that the people, the unions, the towns, whatever, that are depending on this flow of money will always, always, always vote Democrat. because the Democrats will keep the money flowing. It's graft of the most obvious sort.
Speaker 2: So they convince themselves somehow that either this is actually going to happen and it's good for the environment because climate change is so important, or this will help us get votes and our party is the only thing standing between us and fascism. There must be some stretch that they use to convince themselves that they're doing the right thing.
Speaker 4: I think what's at the heart of the answer to your question is that Most people, and I've learned this slowly but surely, most people are way better at rationalizing away reality than you think they are. These people think it's a great project. It's going to be built. There's just been a hiccup or two because the money's flowing into their pockets. A lot of otherwise decent people convince themselves that what they're doing is not wrong.
Speaker 2: Because then they can sleep at night.
Speaker 4: Certain ones of us, we bump up against our conscience and our grasp of reality, and we can't do that. But these people can do that, and they're good at it. One more couple of numbers. The initial section now. between Bakersfield, California, and Merced, California. And for what it's worth, if you're not familiar with the topography, I mean, Bakersfield is a mountain range and a long drive away from Los Angeles. And Merced is so far away from San Francisco, it's not even like an exurb. It's like a different region. So the Merced to Bakersfield... will be done in 2023, they say, and will cost something like $ 36 billion.
Speaker 2: Did you mean 33 or did you have a time machine? 2023 is three years ago. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: 2033.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. 2033 and cost $ 36 billion. Okay. So here's the answer. How much will it cost to finish the part that gets it LA to San Francisco? This is from 60 Minutes.
Speaker 3: How much do you estimate it's going to cost to connect high-speed rail San Francisco to LA?
Speaker 5: Today, we estimate, with the right optimization, just over $ 125 billion. I think $ 126 billion is the current estimate for that.
Speaker 3: That's more funding than Amtrak has received in its history and still leaves a shortfall of roughly $ 90 billion.
Speaker 2: That's a big gap to fill.
Speaker 5: It is a big gap to fill, but again, we have an understanding of how to get there and to fill that gap.
Speaker 3: A gap the authority hopes to fill with a new plan to cut costs, lure private investment, and connect to bigger cities much sooner.
Speaker 2: That's more than nationwide Amtrak that's been around my whole life has received in its history.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a stat. And don't let that last quote go by you too quickly. It's a gap that the real authority plans to, you know, bridge through lowering costs.
Speaker 1: Oh, good.
Speaker 2: I'll do the same.
Speaker 4: I'm going to lower the costs of my mortgage. In my car, I'm going to lower the cost of the food I buy at the grocery store. How are you going to do that exactly? Anyway, we'll put that aside. Maybe they can buy in bulk and get a discount and attract private investment.
Speaker 1: To what?
Speaker 2: An asshole?
Speaker 6: A money pit that will never be filled? What sort of moron would invest in your project? Nobody has and nobody will. Unless they're on the take from Gavin Newsom. What a good plan you have for bridging the gap.
Speaker 2: Good Lord. Well, we're arguing like these are good faith arguments and they aren't. Right. The people, the taxpayers.
Speaker 4: Have to realize this stuff, internalize it, and act on it.
Speaker 2: Liberals, this is what I always say about this stuff. Liberals, again, I don't care about the downtrodden. I really don't.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 2: You're the one who cares. You're the one who should be upset about this. This is taxpayer money, which there's a limited amount of. You should want this money going to all the, you know, one-legged trans BIPOC kids who need your help. Yes, look at them struggling with their one leg. Two final quotes from me, then I'll shut up.
Speaker 4: State Senator Tony Strickland, a Republican, said at the Transportation Committee meeting, I don't think this will ever be built, has proposed to the people in California. I know I wouldn't put my money and invest in this, but I wish you luck. Second quote, Joe Pearson, a Bakersfieldian, quote, nobody here in Bakersfield says, hey, I want to go to Merced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is a good joke, but and true. But I was watching the 60 Minutes piece in there. They had the map up there and everything like that. And I thought, when would I ever, even if they got this thing built and it's running all the time and it's efficient and reliable, when would I ever decide, you know, I'm going to take the train this time instead of fly southwest? When would I ever do that?
Speaker 4: You had a day to kill and wanted to look at the stunning scenery of the Central Valley of California.
Speaker 2: Which is fine, but I'm joking. It's not that stunning.
Speaker 4: No, no, it is an absolutely transparent, ginormous theft of taxpayer money.
Speaker 2: You laugh.
Speaker 1: I laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a laugh. Some more interesting Dolly facts for you as the world pours out their heart in memory of Dolly Parton. And I mean everyone. The wide variety is just absolutely incredible. The most famous Dolly of all time, probably. Dolly the cloned sheep, a contender. Dolly Madison. Dolly Madison, a hugely popular Dolly. Hailing in comparison. Historical significance? I don't know. We'll see.
Speaker 4: Probably Dolly Parton. We'll have to see. Check back in 100 years. And remembering, we got a text earlier. She had big boobs. Thank you for that text.
Speaker 2: Well observed. Well observed. Okay, more on the way. Stay here.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: This is the band at Buckingham Palace. The guys in the red coats and the big, tall fur hats. Standing out on the lawn at Buckingham Palace playing 9 to 5, the Dolly Parton song.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 2: That's lovely. Once again, showing the reach of Dolly Parton, which should be studied and understood. She's one of the most universally liked things. Up there with hamburgers and sex in the history of the world. It's really quite amazing. Yeah. And we were talking earlier about why that is, so we'll probably talk about that more later. I had one more point I was going to make before I got to this breaking news. Breaking news! Breaking news, Donkey Michael! Breaking news, Donkey! The news breaks the donkey braids. It was happening right in our backyard in federal court in Oakland. Meta has settled out of court. I took one law class in college.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: And he hammered this every single day. So it stuck in my head. I guess he wanted us to remember this. You can settle at any time. At any time. Before the very beginning. Right before the end. In the middle.
Speaker 4: Any time.
Speaker 2: You can settle. And that's what happened here. Meta to pay up to 17.1 billion dollars in landmark settlement over social media addiction claims. There are 47 states involved. The District of Columbia and U.S. territories. Trying to claim that Meta was purposefully ruining our children or something. Certainly recklessly. And at some point, Meta decided that cutting a check for $ 17 billion is better than letting this continue. That's a big check. That is a big dang check. Jonathan Turley, the lawyer from George Washington Law School, the professor who's on Fox all the time, has some commentary on this. Let's hear a little of that. Click 90, Michael. Well, this is seismic.
Speaker 8: It's going to be something of a dinner gong for both states and plaintiff attorneys. And I think that Meta knows that. But in many ways, for the company, this is still chump change. I mean, this is a company that makes a huge amount of money. And when you reach a settlement like this, we've seen, for example, in the tobacco settlement, that these companies actually don't end up losing money because of the benefits in the market in resolving litigation. Their stock tends to go up and they're able to cover these losses.
Speaker 2: That's kind of interesting. I guess I didn't know that last part. Just roll into the next one. I'm kind of interested in the details of the arguments.
Speaker 8: I think in fairness to the 29 states that brought this lawsuit, there is a commitment here to change the app, to change this software to create greater protections. The issue here for Meadow was that legally they had some very good arguments to make here. The line between What's an addictive and what's a popular product is often hard to define.
Speaker 2: I'd say. It's interesting.
Speaker 4: The settlement was actually with 47 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories, some of which were not part of this specific suit, I have a feeling. But, yeah, that's a heck of a gesture, thinking, no, let's not take this all the way to the jury.
Speaker 2: Let's just end it. Well, and as Turley said there, and if we've talked about, Meta has some really good arguments, you know, so did Roundup, and they ended up paying out ridiculous amounts of money, even though there's no scientific proof they caused cancer. So that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty. Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 7: What we're not going to do is talk about Dolly Parton like we lost an 80-year-old woman because Dolly Parton was 25 years old for approximately 55 consecutive years. I don't know how she did it. Dolly Parton looked at aging and said, well, there's a precious little idea.
Speaker 2: No, thank you.
Speaker 7: That woman had the same blood, had the same smile, the same energy, the same heels, the same amount of woman from the time your grandma was young until five minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Dolly Parton didn't get older.
Speaker 7: The rest of us just kept catching up to her.
Speaker 2: How great is that, Katie? That's a comedian I don't know. Who was that? A comedian named Josh Bray that I don't know. She's been 25. Right. She looked at age and said, I'm not going to do that. Oh, no, thank you. Fantastic. Good stuff. Good stuff. So I wanted to play this, this this whole appearance of Dolly Parton on Johnny Carson way back in the day. The whole thing is good, including her singing the song to Johnny that she wrote for him. But this is a classic moment. I've always been pretty well-blessed.
Speaker 1: People are always asking if they're real.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would never. I would never, you see. No, you don't have to ask.
Speaker 7: I would not.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. I have certain guidelines.
Speaker 2: But I would give about a year's pay to peek under there. That is just lurid, I don't tell. I can't believe it. We've got some more interesting Dolly Parton stuff. I keep scrolling through and coming across. Some of the musical performances. When she got together with Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt for a couple albums, there was some really good music on there. But this performance of Neil Young's After the Gold Rush from Letterman in the 90s, whoa, that's good. Really, really good. Have to dig into that.
Speaker 4: I loved, Jack was texting, tweeting, I guess texting Twitter links to the internal group here of the show of all the tributes that were pouring out.
Speaker 2: And they were all really beautiful images. touching, including Eminem, a.k.a. Marshall Mathers. who shared a note Dolly wrote to him when he won, I can't remember. Yeah, I got that in front of me. So Eminem tweeted out, I'm sorry we never got a chance to meet, but getting this note from Dolly really had an impact on me. She definitely didn't have to take the time to do it. Even for a kid who mostly listened to rap music, she was an icon, a superstar in every sense. Rest easy, Dolly, and thank you for the kind words. This is the letter that Dolly Parton wrote to Eminem out of nowhere. Marshall, Eminem, congratulations on your induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Your performance was amazing and everybody said so. Even though I don't know a lot about rap music, I've come to know that you were the very best at it. Aside from that, I hope what I have to say will not seem weird or strange to you, but I've always felt some unexplained connection to you, like I know you somehow. I'd hope to meet you at the show, but you know how nuts those things are. Personally, I hate them and I missed my chance. But maybe someday we'll meet. In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing because you do it so well. No matter how complex your world may be, just know you're very special and touch people in ways you don't even know. With love and respect, Dolly Parton.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's a beautiful soul. And, you know, it's funny. I was thinking about this.
Speaker 4: As a girl from an Appalachian family, 12 people, 12 kids.
Speaker 2: Mom and dad living in a one-room cabin.
Speaker 4: Whereas Marshall Mathers grew up on the outskirts of crappy, depressed Detroit.
Speaker 2: She knew they had something in common. You're right. I never thought about it from that angle, but that's clearly true. Dolly Parton and Eminem had more in common than my son and Eminem. And my son sees himself as like a rapper or those kind of people. But, you know, growing up in poor, difficult times. Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 9: Eminem is part of the soundtrack for all millennials. Just to let you know, he was like huge for us.
Speaker 2: But that particular Eminem thing there, there are so many of those crossing every spectrum of the world and generations. And it's just, it's amazing. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: People are making a fortune on TikTok imitating him. They sound exactly like him. Like if I close my eyes, you couldn't tell the difference. They're just making a fortune off of his voice.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we were talking earlier and at fair length about Dolly Parton and the universal affection for her and where that came from and what it means and how it ought to be studied at the university level or certainly in churches and wherever humans gather and want to be decent.
Speaker 2: One aspect that we learned a little bit about was that last year when her husband died, nobody had ever thought about or talked about really her husband the whole time. He stayed in the background. They met at a laundromat when I think she was still a teenager, and they were together for 59 years. And that on its own is such an interesting aspect of her story. Sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: To be rich, famous, but kind, unassuming, funny, smart, but not lord it over anybody.
Speaker 2: Happily married for 60 years.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Those are not easy things to pull off. Well, I just, this from Donna Brazile, because I'm talking about all the different sorts of people that weighed in on this. Donna Brazile, she was Al Gore's campaign manager. She's a big Democratic. pundit dolly parton spent decades quietly funding band uniforms and instruments at black high schools across the south never once putting her name on it no headlines no fanfare just help given because it was needed that's the whole you know it's only really altruistic if you don't if nobody knows you did it sort of thing um a lot of people not into that want to have their name on the school or band uniform or there needs to be a big uh gathering of local tv stations whenever you give the check or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yes, there are people who are really, really into that, and that's the only reason they do anything charitable. I'll just end my comments there. So good for Dolly, a saint among us. I don't want to rush through this, but this is kind of the other side of the coin, and maybe we can continue on the other side of a very brief break.
Speaker 2: You saying she was a saint, one thing I was going to look into last night, and I never got around to grokking, was she a religious person?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. She was a validly Christian. Yeah. But like goes to church every Sunday sort of Christian? No idea. No, I was going to look into that. I'd just be interested. Yeah, I'm not sure. How would it be if Dolly went to church every Sunday? Well, if she went to the same place. I don't know. Interesting. You wouldn't want to sit behind her in the pew. You ain't going to see a thing. No, no, because her wig, big old wig. Anyway, where were we? I had something interesting to say. I'm certain of it. It's gone now. A word instead from our friends at Blue Collar Dollars. Sort of thing. I'm tying Dolly Parton into everything. I was going to, but go ahead. Okay. Go ahead. Well, you might have a better idea. You had thought of it already. I doubt it. No, no, I was right just off the cuff. I was going to say, the Blue Collar Dollars, definitely the sort of people that Dolly Parton came from. People that get up early and work hard all day long. and oftentimes think that the whole financial world, investment world, all that sort of stuff is not for them.
Speaker 4: Well, Blue Collar Dollar is for you. Kind of the opposite of snooty academics. If you've saved $ 500, 000 or more, we invite you to call Blue Collar Dollar for a no-cost consultation. There's no obligation. If you don't like what you hear, no harm done. But these are folks who get you and your lifestyle and your priorities.
Speaker 2: Building a place where hardworking people can share the values you have, financial sort of dreams you have, with advisors who talk with you, never at you. From your mobile phone, dial pound 250, and when prompted, say the keywords blue-collar dollar. Simple as that. Dial pound 250. Say blue-collar dollar. Here's the fun part. Advisory services are offered through Talon LLC, a SEC-registered investment advisor. Marketing is conducted by its affiliated company, Blue Collar Dollar LLC. Registration as an investment advisor does not imply a certain level of skill or training. For more important disclosures, visit bluecollardollar.com.
Speaker 4: So on the other side of the coin of the lovely... Wonderful, open-hearted, kind, unassuming Dolly Parton. You have our cynical time where no one trusts, for instance, data centers and flock cameras. Those are two of the big kind of hot points in local politics in America. And, of course, you know, if it gets enough attention and happens in enough localities, it becomes our national politics. But why no one trusts data centers and flock cameras? Interesting thoughts on that. And it's a bit of a problem.
Speaker 2: If we decide to let China build all the data centers and get the head start on AI because we're scared of them for all these different reasons.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah. Do we know what Dolly Parton thought of data centers? I don't believe she went on the record. Too smart. Are we supposed to take a break or transition to something else or what are we supposed to? I wasn't paying attention.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that's... Yeah, I was going to say, let's talk about the lack of trust on the other side.
Speaker 2: Of the break, because I don't want to rush through it.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool.
Speaker 2: We do need to get to a little bit more of the trade war with Canada that is roiling hockey stick manufacturers. Oh, good Lord. I know. Stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: Tweet it out and we'll post at armstrongandgetty.com the videos that are coming out from the mudslide in Nepal today, which is the most amazing thing I think I've ever seen. It's the worst video I've ever seen. It's horrific.
Speaker 4: It was like a bomb went off as an overused descriptor. It was like an atomic bomb went off. The destruction was complete and utter.
Speaker 2: Well, complete. And all the people that are there at the beginning of the video are not there at the end of the video.
Speaker 9: As eerie as this is, it reminded me of the Twin Towers falling.
Speaker 2: It is that sort of thing.
Speaker 9: It just went up and everybody disappeared. Anyway, that's what this is. We'll have them at Armstrong and Getty dot com.
Speaker 4: So as discussed previously, in contrast to the whole Dolly Parton aesthetic, you've got an incredible lack of trust in America, whether it's the government in general, data centers, flock cameras, people are very, very cynical. And Eric Erickson, who is a colleague in the radio industry, wrote a piece that the Free Press published that It's certainly ground that we have plowed around here, but I think he sums it up very well. The same government that used pandemic powers to shutter churches and businesses now wants surveillance cameras on street corners and data centers and backyards. You can't blame people for saying no. And as he goes through it, I think, you know, and this seems crazy to me to even say this out loud, I think I had let my sense of outrage at The abuses of government during COVID kind of, the edges have gotten warmed off and I kind of feel myself moving on. But psychologically, and anybody who's ever dealt with psychological trauma knows, even if you don't think about it every day, it's still in there. And he makes the point that in April of 2020, San Clemente, California dumped $ 37 of sand into a skate park to keep teenagers out of it.
Speaker 2: That's so insane that actually happened that actually other.
Speaker 4: California's cities followed suit yeah god that's so freaking crazy Up the coast, sheriff's deputies arrested a man for paddleboarding by himself in the Pacific Ocean. Cities unbolted basketball rims. The mayor of L.A. told people that snitches get rewards. And God help us, people snitched, calling the tip lines on the neighbors whose grandkids came over. Months later, Gavin Newsom violated his own COVID-19 protocols and enjoyed a nice dinner at the French Laundry.
Speaker 2: Well, I lived with a park behind me, and they had yellow crime tape around the playground equipment.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was like it was the 1500s. There's disease around. Be sure you stay inside.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 4: The sand, the arrest, the missing basketball rims, the rewarded snitches, and the elite hypocrisy explain a lot about where we are as a nation, including things that look like they have nothing to do with COVID, like data centers and flock cameras. In March of 2020, Americans did as they were told. People closed businesses. Local governments closed schools. Family canceled funerals. They waited for instructions from their elected leaders and public health officials because those officials said we needed two weeks to stop the spread. People generally trusted their institutions. Civic trust is a limited resource in a free nation. The press, politicians, bureaucrats, experts, and elite violated that trust until it was gone. The virus came, the data came, the virus mutated, the data changed, and the people in charge did not. We won't go on at too much length, but We knew early on that children were not meaningful vectors for spread. The bureaucrats, the politicians, and above all, the teachers' unions kept the schoolhouse doors closed anyway. Parents forced to be home with their kids saw how atrocious our public education has become, and students, after being shut out of schools, actually regressed. Masks clearly were not stopping the virus, but the army of mentally deranged progressive women... Harassing people for not wearing masks not only did not stop, but it's morphed today into a virtue signal and a public sign of inward mental health issues. Get on a plane to any progressive enclave and you'll notice a pattern in who still wears masks.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely true. I see that every time I'm in the airport.
Speaker 4: And then... We knew early on that COVID spread indoors, not outdoors, but California went right on filling in the skate parks. When Brian Kemp reopened Georgia, the governor there, the Atlantic ran a story calling it, quote, an experiment in human sacrifice.
Speaker 2: The president attacked him. Dr.
Speaker 4: Anthony Fauci attacked him. Stacey Abrams attacked him. And Georgia recovered first among states. And he goes through the whole thing again, which I think is worth going over.
Speaker 2: We ought to have, like.
Speaker 4: You know, in the Jewish religion, they have a number of quote-unquote holidays, holy days, including, you know, and I'm not an expert. I always forget the names of them, but, you know, a day of atonement, a day to think about your sins and atone for them because going la-la-la-la-la-la past your own sins is not the way to get right with God.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great idea.
Speaker 4: We ought to have an annual day of reckoning about COVID. Not to mention the lies about the vaccine, which absolutely reduced the incidence of fatality and severe illness.
Speaker 2: 100% it did. Well, not 100%.
Speaker 4: We're literally talking about statistics, Joe. You can't say 100%. But the idea that it would stop the spread and people should be fired or barred from the military or punished or demonized for not getting it. It was absurd, and even when that became clear, they continued to insist that it was true. The psychological trauma of the betrayed trust remains.
Speaker 2: And so you tie that into the data center rejection? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually, that was the point that Eric was making, that you've got a couple of things that are clearly– either dangerous or threatening. They represent, in the case of the data centers, the AI uncertainty, which could be devastating. It could be like that damn mudslide in Nepal to the economy. People are really concerned about it, both on a personal and societal level.
Speaker 2: And we're being told, no, no, we got this, trust us.
Speaker 4: And the data centers, they're big, they're ugly, they're a symbol of AI.
Speaker 2: So people are freaked out.
Speaker 4: The flock camera thing, there would be distrust of that because it's establishing something close to a surveillance state. But Eric's point, again, is that when the authorities, and look, we're pro-law enforcement around here, and certainly anti-law enforcement. But when I'm told, no, don't worry, we'll make sure this isn't abused, nobody will look at the surveillance, it won't turn into a surveillance state, this is merely for emergencies and crimes and that sort of thing, I think, yeah, bull-ass.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a real problem with that one. I was talking to Anastasia Bowden, the lawyer from Pacific Legal Foundation, about that Friday after you left. Like her piece, their piece was, you know, we're not completely against these. Then they help stop crimes. I hate that argument. As I told her, I hate that argument. We could end crime today if we wanted to. We could put cameras everywhere and end crime. So the fact that it solves some crimes is not an argument to me. Right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's definitely one of the arguments in society, though. And Eric actually makes the point that he's for the data centers. We need the computing power. If we don't get it, China will get it, and that would be terrible. And he says, I'm for the flock cameras with reasonable restrictions. Many municipalities are short of police officers. Our police are stretched thin. Our population is in decline. Fewer people want to become cops. We need supplementation. But support does not mean without boundaries and limits.
Speaker 2: We need both. But the cameras, I believe, do more good than harm. I know you disagree with him. I do. Over time, I think I will be right. I hope I live long enough to be shown to be right. I'd rather be wrong, but I think I'm right.
Speaker 4: He goes into a little detail about why he supports these two things with restrictions, but he says, I cannot blame my neighbors for disagreeing with me. How on earth could I? We're only five years removed from the police arresting solo joggers and the government using police power to shutter churches and small businesses. We witnessed the government use a surveillance state to lock people in their homes. We saw private businesses figure out that they could profit from the police state. And the difference between fracking, oh, he compares data centers to fracking, and that's a great comparison.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is.
Speaker 4: The scare campaign against fracking. The difference between fracking and the data center was never the facts. It was the messengers and their technology. The oilmen lived in the community. They sat in the pews at the local church, sent their kids to local schools, etc.
Speaker 2: etc.
Speaker 4: The AI executives are coastal creeps accountable to nobody, and the local government courting them, sign nondisclosure agreements, do the whole thing behind closed doors. When you negotiate in secret with people who tell you they might enslave you or at a minimum take your job and that of your child, you have earned every bit of suspicion you get.
Speaker 2: Will we build data centers or let China... get this technology and be the leader in it? That's a big question. God, we're in a rough spot.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty.