Speaker 1: Let's get back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park before Tonight's Giants game on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Friday afternoon, Adam copling Deep Hoop with you from the patio at fifty eight Social Giants and the Tigers tonight seven fifteen first pitch six to fifteen pre game.
Speaker 3: But first we got to cack in with our guy.
Speaker 2: Marcus Thompson, of the athletic best sports rider in the country, joins us each.
Speaker 3: And every Friday here on Dirty Work. What's up, Marcus? How are you?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: What a Marcus?
Speaker 3: Where are you all at at the at the ballpark?
Speaker 5: We're here today? Who knows tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Who knows somaro from?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: We're here?
Speaker 4: Okay, I just heard the noise and the background. I'm like, where are they? A high show? What's going on?
Speaker 2: But that was when you heard the sirens a couple weeks ago. Yeah, that was more such show. Like, man, So what's up with you?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 3: We've had an uneventful week? What are you up to?
Speaker 4: Similarly uneventful?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: Similarly?
Speaker 8: Chill?
Speaker 4: How about we can just say chill? How about we go with that I'm chilling, very chill week, all.
Speaker 5: Right, very very different for us this week. I'd say.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yes, indeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah, I don't know, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, No, I would like to hear your questions.
Speaker 2: I was gonna like shift gears to sports. But if you had something else, you can you can hit that.
Speaker 7: I mean, no matter what you said, I was gonna say. You know what I want to say. You can go to gears, you go to sports all you want to Uh, it's your Your week has been very disheartening. Yeah, especially as an outsider looking in. Uh, I definitely want to give a huge uh shout out to a legend in our profession and Greg Papa and just reading about what he's going through was simultaneously like heartwarming and heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: Uh So, my thoughts and my.
Speaker 7: Desire to talk is kind of limited to Greg Papa, who, more than anything, really just deserves the Bay Areas unflinching and unyielding support. If you're a sports fan out here and you've ever heard his voice in a moment, if you've ever been around him, if you ever benefited from him, if you ever just got a chance to get a dose of his swag, then we should all be companies and fans alike in support of Greg Papa. So that's all I really want to say today.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 9: No, I appreciate that, man, and I appreciate your reaching out to me. And yeah, would you say that our swag is comparable though me and my father's I would.
Speaker 7: I would say, I say, every time I see you, I get the same sense of you know, you could have been flying any era that I get from your father. Like sometimes I call you Greg because I think y'all same person. That's how much the swag is similar, right, I mean, you're clearly.
Speaker 4: Your daddy's son, right, like the.
Speaker 7: French coach you wear, the trench coach you wear, the cologne, that meat.
Speaker 4: That gets around the corner before you do.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying that Randa uh And and the trauma voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean, you're playing in your pop swag.
Speaker 4: I'm just putting on you.
Speaker 7: I'm just imagining this world where you are like your father and swag. So I'm trying to paint the picture for the audience of what Derek looks like with a black trench coat on.
Speaker 4: And you know, right, I was like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Over here thinking about Willie Brown. Bro, you're telling me about pop. I was like, well, you just starving Tracy. What's happening here?
Speaker 8: Listen?
Speaker 7: Man? You don't know, man, that that that overcoat that car Yeah, I don't know about the days at the Raider Stadium, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Man, that was a little more like a cheat coat as well wear.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Yeah, Iren.
Speaker 4: And what well, what do you call it then?
Speaker 7: A car coat?
Speaker 4: An overcoat?
Speaker 5: An overcoat?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: An overcoat.
Speaker 9: That's I don't know if you called a trench coat when he when he has like a scarf underneath it.
Speaker 4: I feel like I could go past your pockets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pocket, you're in the trenches if it goes past the pocket, yeah. Marcus on them, you know the slag you know, the swaggiest thing that's ever been transferred from Greg Papa to Derek Papa. And I'm gonna put this out there. I don't know if Marcus even knows this. Greg has said on the air that Derek was conceived on the day that Dave Stewart threw a no header. I was like, that's the topest thing ever he saw. Smoke Stewart throwing. He's like, I gotta I gotta make.
Speaker 5: One good lord.
Speaker 3: Wait wait old dang.
Speaker 4: For some reason, I thought.
Speaker 7: Born but she said to see oh man, So did the stare down happen first?
Speaker 4: He's just lucky? And did he give me that?
Speaker 3: No, we did the math.
Speaker 8: Bro.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like nine months and four days too. It's like it's almost exact, and I get out of this business anyway.
Speaker 4: It just that was that was as like live as it gets. Because I was thinking birthday, birthday, and then Dawn, we can see you. I'm like, wait a second. Then I can just see him like tipping that cat waving them off, like nope, nope, not that, not that, don't wear that. Nope no, yeah wear that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, and you only get that if you're flying. You gotta be pop to do that.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You got it? Like, yeah, we're Stu or Stu. Yeah smoke stuck. So you I mean you mentioned it, dude. I was telling stories yesterday.
Speaker 2: I remember meeting Greg when I was when I was working at Boulevard Restaurant. I was telling everybody he left me tickets to a Raider game, and I thought there's no way these were actually here. And I was like, I'm barn over there, and he left me tickets two days later. Didn't even know me.
Speaker 3: I was like a host and a restaurant that he was at.
Speaker 2: But do you remember your first interaction with Papa or the first that you you really got to know him a little bit, either at the coliseum or or.
Speaker 7: Beyond absolutely at the college sum Here's how I knew all I needed to know right off the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I obviously I knew who he was. I didn't know he knew who I was.
Speaker 7: But he said it as he walked up to me and he gave me a dapt and it was so smooth, you know how. You know how sometimes it don't you know, like Derek, you might know what I mean, Sometimes you botch that.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm just saying it can be very awkward.
Speaker 7: Man, It was so smooth and cool.
Speaker 4: I was like, man, this is exactly who I thought he was. It was just like it's a small gesture, but he was like Obama out there.
Speaker 7: It wasn't a simple handshake neither.
Speaker 4: It was like a three parter with the half. I was like, oh, this is my guy right now.
Speaker 3: That's that's what we would call Derek. Let me tell her, that's what we would call giving some skin.
Speaker 7: Yeah you know what I mean, I say, you know what I'm saying on the black hand side, you feel me? Yeah there, Yes, you ain't never bumbled it there you never You ain't never course, Okay.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought.
Speaker 5: I'm not like I haven't. But there's a been times where people have been impressed.
Speaker 3: I've taught some people off guard.
Speaker 4: All finis, Pops has never bundled it like he do than us.
Speaker 5: Fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 2: He's a student of the game, as you know, in many rounds, in many many fasts, Pop is a student of the game without question.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're seeing my dad's invited the cookout, but not so much, meme.
Speaker 7: Not only is he invited to the cookout, he bringing the dish and we eat it. You know what I'm saying, Like, Yeah, yeah, ain't.
Speaker 4: No raisings in the potato salad.
Speaker 3: No, No, he want to bring.
Speaker 4: He gonna bring some Metalian food.
Speaker 6: That we all love.
Speaker 7: You know, you don't know me have this, but it's good. Let's go within it, let's have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the guy that when somebody's got to go to the bathroom. The dude on the girl has to go to the bathroom. He's like, pop, come work this frohim to watch this for me. You know, he trusts him to watch the grill.
Speaker 5: Watch it, but he's not doing anything on it. I know my father and the grill grill himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't picture him on the grill. That's too much sweat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, too much, it'll it'll miss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's to be in a car code at the grill.
Speaker 3: You know what I there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, switching gears real quick. Marcus, what was your reaction to Kevin duran and Klay Thompson here?
Speaker 3: He told you what he wanted to talk about.
Speaker 5: But I can't. I can't bring this up briefly.
Speaker 4: Sure you could bring it up. Sure, absolutely can bring it up. Finish finishing questions.
Speaker 9: Okay, what'd you think of Klay Thompson and Kevin durants exchange on social media this past week?
Speaker 7: You know, I actually thought it was impressive. How Like for all these years, Greg Papa was a raider guy and.
Speaker 4: Tradition like call in forty nine ers games like and he came up with a call and it was awkward.
Speaker 7: He's missed the Raider. So for him to make this transition, to me, it was all about expert right. It was like, you all know, I cover a bunch of sports, right like, so that's as somebody who does it. It is incredibly difficult. But for him to just ingratiate himself in Niner culture the way he did, to turn those calls and make them as you know, impactful as all those years were the Raiders where he was like the facto GM anyway, right like that to me is one of the most precious, impressive things you'll see in our profession. And it certainly helps that the Raiders were in Las Vegas, right like they're gone or not have a presence anymore.
Speaker 4: But after seeing that and listening to that, I just I just never imagined that day, Like twenty years ago. You're not thinking Greg Papa is going to be the voice of the forty nine ers one day.
Speaker 3: It just sounds weird, right, It's just it doesn't feel weird anymore now.
Speaker 9: Dude.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the East, you know, just like you manifest that seems so weird kind of different for you. But I wasn't a Raider fan. But I thought it was a little weird at first, and now I don't even really think about it.
Speaker 5: I really don't, Okay, I I get what you want to answer today, Marcus. So I'll ask you.
Speaker 4: I'll ask you this question.
Speaker 7: I'll ask you this question.
Speaker 5: No no, no no no no no no okay, Okay.
Speaker 9: So years ago, your guy Tim Kawakami asked my dad about this whole rumor that he was going to be the general manager of the Raiders, had Al Davis stuck around, So obviously things didn't happen.
Speaker 5: What if well if if, I'll say it alive obviously yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was like on his call, right, He's like, yeah, yeah, I'm out right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, I don't think I think I'm gonna x it on my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna check out, check it out. Yeah okay.
Speaker 9: So, like, what do you think the Bay Area's reaction would have been if Greg Poppa, after years of being a play by play guy, was introduced as general manager of president of football Operations for the Raiders.
Speaker 3: What's your story?
Speaker 7: I think I actually think it would have been like more fitting than you see kind of these things now, right, uh, Like like remember when Bob Myers was an agent and cross ever to being a germanager. We were like, I don't know this is gonna work. Like it felt weird that I mean, you know, because obviously we didn't really know Bob Myers at that point, so it's like, what can this agent do with no experience. I think that would have been Greg pop Up becoming the general manager, like he already felt like the team for a lot of us who just grew up with the voice like his command for the team, like like that's how we would learn about football. It was it was Greg pop on Raiders, it was Jim Barnet. Don't work like you learned about the team and not just what was happening with the game. So I think it would have been a little bit more seamless than I imagine, Like it would be like if you know, Adam Goldman just became like Mike Dunley.
Speaker 4: Y's number two, we'd be like, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: Right? Like what happened? So I think it would have been actually fine. I think people would have been shocked. But what was the Raiders success anyway? Who were they going to get another retread that wasn't gonna do a good job, like, yeah, like you you probably could you probably we would have got more supportives, like, hey, trying, We're trying everything at this.
Speaker 2: Point, Marcus Thompson of the Athletic Joint is each and every week here on Dury work. That's all we got for you, Marcus. I appreciate you making time for us, and then this hasn't been fun this week for any of us. So and I know your connection to the Bay Area and to the East Band, to Greg Pop individually, So really, man, I do appreciate you.
Speaker 3: You're making time.
Speaker 7: Hey, I'll tell you what, man, I'm not gonna be as classy about it.
Speaker 4: I'm dropping names, I'm telling stories.
Speaker 7: I'm just just so y'all know, let's get this on the record, like you put me in these type of spots, I won't be smiling. I'll be like it's gonna be a tell all book, like you want to treat me like this, Okay, Yeah, I write that down.
Speaker 2: Like I said, Man, it's crazy. It's not as crazy as firing somebody with cancer, but it is crazy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It is out there.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not going out with class.
Speaker 3: I just want Yeah, man. So it's almost like I'll say it, but you did it.
Speaker 2: So anyway, Mary, that bad you did it. Marcus Thompson of the Athletic for now joins us every Friday. We'll talk to you soon, Marcus. Appreciate it, all right. Marcus Thompson of the Athletic, he joins us each and every week. Though that's a he's a trenches guy. Yeah, Marcus Thomson isn't in the trenches guy with us. Man, I love that guy now, guys, look for so much of my career, I always love and respect that guy.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna take a quick break. Members of the Filter's showing up here at fifty eight. So so we got to get in dirty with the filth. Oh yeah, tell me. You're waiting about an hour at five forty five. You can sit down and now you're good. You can cheer. You're the one. You're the one cheering, so yeah, more power to you.
Speaker 9: If everybody else is booming it, throwing tomatoes at it. We'll get dirty with the filth in about an hour.
Speaker 2: Derek wants you to sit down and ask us one question, apiece, one question, your quest question and get it ready.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one question. We will do that a bit later. But you know what this is, dude, it's a Friday and we have to work overtime. You know what that means. What's that we're playing a replay of an interview? Nice? Yeah, dude, you know who's great? Rich?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: He joined us each and every Thursday. He's so great. You'll hear it again. Next, it's Dirty Work.
Speaker 2: It's a Friday from fifty eight Social and it's only here on the replay Leader.
Speaker 1: Live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park. This is Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop on the sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Dirty Work on a Friday evening.
Speaker 2: Adam Copeland, Deep Pop hanging out with you from the patio fifty eight Social. The Giants and the Tigers doun at a seven to fifteen first pitch? Who got pregame for you at six fifteen? Only here on the sports Leader Wall of Fame Day tomorrow, Buster Posey, Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Joe Panic and Pablo Sandoval all being inducted into the Giants Wall of Fame. And there's no television coverage of that. You can hear all of it right here on the sports Leader. Each and every Thursday former Giants shortstop number thirty five, Richard Really it joins us. You see him as part of NBC Sports Bay Areas pre and postgame Giants coverage all season long right here, but right here.
Speaker 3: Over on TV on NBC Sports Bay Area.
Speaker 2: We open the conversation with Richard Really yesterday talking about the topic of Thursday and really of the week for the Giants, and that is that after thirty six years, Giants broadcaster Mike Kruco is going to step away from the booth after this year. We opened the interview with Richard Really asking about his thoughts on Crouch stepping away.
Speaker 8: Oh, listen, I mean, thirty six years is a long time and and at some point in the near future. Man, you know, both those guys Mike Enjwain got to go in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's that's a given, but uh, you know, to give you I mean, listen, he gave his life to the game, right, I mean, he literally did. He played for a long time and you know, you start playing his little kid, and he played through high school, college and then get to the big leagues and then boom right after you're right into broadcasting and you know, the relationship you build as a player, you know with guys like like Mike. You know, I'd like to say it's kind of up to you, but you have no choice but to love that guy, right. I mean, he's just such an approachable guy. He's such a a a great personality and such a person with knowledge of the game that he's been around for god forever. You know, I leaned on, you know, both Mike and Dwayne, but you know, I you know, when I was struggling, you know, they were another set of eyes for you. You know, you had Dwayne who could go over you know, either what he sees on defense or what he sought to play. And I could go to Mike and be like, hey man, what are they trying to do to me? Like why am I struggling? I feel like I'm chasing And so they were a valuable tool. And and I don't have any problem in saying this that, you know, and I think almost everybody would agree with me. I mean, they have been some of the Giants' best players for the last thirty years, meaning fans tuned in to listen to those guys not only watch the game, but a lot of fans tune in to listen to those guys. So at this moment from Mike to step down, whether it's you know, whether it's health burnout team, maybe not going in the you know direction we all thought. I don't know, but I want to say it was honor working with that guy and to have him, you know, call a boatload of my games in my career, you know. And he's one of the few guys in this few guys in this game and in the city who could get away to call me Dicky.
Speaker 7: So I appreciate him, and not only him, his family man.
Speaker 8: His kids grew up in that clubhouse when I was playing, and now they have kids and Jennifer and you know, just just such a great, lovely family. And I think I can speak for everyone saying we wish them nothing but the best in retirement life. And I hope it means the world to him, and I know it does that he got to cover the Black and Orange for the amount of time he did.
Speaker 2: So I got a rich Ali, my guest. I think it's really it's a great thing, and you understand it on a different level. Rich being a former Big leaguer is you know, they shared him with us right. I mean all that travel and all the all those broadcasts, he wasn't at home for all those and they got to be around it. It's different when you were a broadcaster than a player.
Speaker 3: But he was still on the road.
Speaker 2: He was still traveling with you guys, and for thirty plus years that's been his deal. So no, they're they're definitely a part of this too. I wanted to ask you because I was saying at the top of the show for me, Mike Cruco. And this isn't to take away from anybody else or any of the broadcaster, but like I think about hearing stories about Tommy Lasorda at the beginning of spring training talking to new players about the Dodger Way and the way that they would do things, and I said, you know, there's a Giant way too, and there's a brand of Giants Baseball. It's an attitude not just for the players but for the fan base. And I think that's part of our struggle with how how poorly things have gone on the field the last few years. But I said, I don't think there's been any better flag bear or standard bearer or teacher of the book of Giants Baseball. And what it means to be a giant, and Mike Cruco in my lifetime, I think he's the best at it, by.
Speaker 4: Far the best.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, listen, him and Dwayne work together forever, their best buddies, right, and they do an unbelievable job together. But they've barred different personality type guys, right, So like, yeah, type is that way, but but Kruk is more that way, like kind of in your face with it, that will tell you about it. And I think that's what you have to appreciate about it. And I you know, I remember coming up early in this game, and again I've told you guys this before. I had guys like Matt Williams Robbie Thompson taking care of me as a rookie, and they got along great because they played with Kruk. And you know, one of the first things Kruke told me, He's like, you just got to learn the Giants' way and you got to hate those guys in blue. That's it that those are the rules, you know, And you know, I've stood by those rules for a majority of my life now, and I'm sure I'm sure there'll be a really you know, wonderful send off from the Giants' organized you know, when when it comes time for them to celebrate that, and you know whoever it is, I mean, God blessed that guy. Following following kruk Man. It's like following either or Bongs or you know. I mean, it's a tough gig, but you know, after all these years, it's time for Mike to move on.
Speaker 3: Who are your guys like that?
Speaker 2: I mean when you were grown up and you were watching ball, you were a Mets fan right when you were a kid, Yes, was it like was it Kiner?
Speaker 3: Bob Murphy? Who are your guys when you were coming up?
Speaker 8: I mean, I like Piner because you know, I knew he played the game. And I always used to remember as a kid, like growing up in New York, when they would win, they'd have Kiner's Corner, which was like, you know, it wasn't a postgame showback then, it was Kiner's Corner, where like he'd come on and they'd go over highlights around the league and they'd interview the started game that day. So Ralph Kiner was my guy. And again, like you say, as a little kid, you know, what does that mean to you? I remember one time playing the Mets here at at Oracle and it was probably maybe the first or second year the ballpark was open, and I just had a great game against the Mets, and they asked me after the game to go on Kiner's corner and I'm like, are they hiding me?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 8: I'm like, yeah, I'm like his routs here and like, oh yeah, he made this trip this time, and and Seever's also covering was going to be here. So I'm like, dude, what a holy cow. It's like a childhood dream come true, wasn't It wasn't playing good against the Mets. It was just being on Kiner's corner, right, So I got to go on the show, got to talk to him. They both signed the ball for me when I was done, and like, it made my whole, my whole year.
Speaker 4: To be able to do that.
Speaker 8: So, you know, those legends, those legends that you listened to as a kid, and move on and listen.
Speaker 4: Thirty six years for Kruk.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of people that have listened to him in a lot of different ages, and you know, it always seems that he had an impact no matter what age you were, because he was just that good at calling a game, and that good with his personality on him.
Speaker 5: Talking to Richarrelia on the UMA guest line.
Speaker 9: So you and I have known each other for a good deal of time now, and that's through my pops, going back to the old radio station. And you guys have the connection being on the pregame show and post game show together. But honestly it's even before then. Like you don't know this, but when I would go to baseball games with him, I would hang out, you know, before the game, be on the field. I remember meeting you must have been like two thousand and four, two thousand and five, and you were so incredibly nice to me because of the connection with my father. So I know that Mike Kruko has that relatability to players. For broadcasters that didn't play the game, what makes them relatable.
Speaker 8: To players, well, I think just being being fair and honest, right, I mean, I think that's you know, you have to understand that those guys have a job too, and sometimes their job is to be critical of you, and you have to understand that. And I and a perfect example to me. Listen, I spent most of my career in San Francisco, so I had those guys. John Miller had flammed for a little. I mean, I had a bunch of guys, had Joe the Angel of Death.
Speaker 3: I love Joe Angelo, but I go back to my days.
Speaker 8: With the Reds, and I had Marty Brenneman, who had been there forever. And Marty was not afraid man, He was not afraid to stand up to anybody. You know, we know he didn't play the game, but I mean he was a type of guy. He go up to players, and the players he knew he would know who was kind of a little ticked off at him for what he said, and he would go up to the guy and he said, guess what, I've been here long before you were here, and I'm going to be here long after you're gone. So just understand that that's my job. And that's I think the kind of mentality you have to take with guys that didn't play the game, because you look, I mean, just look at the Giants, right, I mean, you got John Miller, Hall Famer, got Dave Fleming, who I think is you know, one of the best in the game. I mean, you know the way he comes across, whether it's on TV or on radio. I mean so you get around these guys and you get to know them on a personal level and you just understand like you just separate between personal and professional and you get along great with these guys.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna rich A really nice enough to join us here on the the Uma gas line, by the way, Derek saying that you don't remember it, but it was. It was meaningful to him that you were nice to him as a kid, much different than your interaction with Mark Grace, right Derek.
Speaker 5: Oh No, he didn't want me in the booth at all. I was like, why is this kid here?
Speaker 3: Papa? Oh, why is this kid up here? Mark Grace is like I don't get why he's here? What's he doing?
Speaker 5: Understand I was annoying?
Speaker 3: I get it. So it's a big deal, rightch that you were you were so kind to him.
Speaker 4: Man uh sounds like Gracie though.
Speaker 2: So yeah, rich really joined us here on the on the Uma guesst line. So when you think, you said, like Mike is more in your face about it, when you think about the giant way like what was that?
Speaker 3: When you realize what that was? What did that mean to you?
Speaker 2: And and because I really do think Mike is kind of the the one who pushes that forward, and so many of us have grown up with that.
Speaker 5: What does that mean to you?
Speaker 3: The Giant Way?
Speaker 8: I mean, honestly, I think it's just being a grinder man and doing everything you have you have to win a game every day and to leave it all out on the field. And I honestly felt like that's how I played throughout my whole career, no matter which city I played and who I played for.
Speaker 4: I felt like I left it all out on the field.
Speaker 8: And you know, when you talk to you know, Kirker type, I mean, you know, they'll tell you you know where that uniform as long as you can make them drag it off you. And that's why I think. That's why I think here like for the years they've been here, there have been so many guys that they've just fallen in love with as players because there's a bunch of grinders, and you know, I think I think maybe at a point in time, you guys remember this, your Giants fans. I mean I think it was when Peter mcgallan stepped down and Bill Nukeomb took over. Remember they actually came out with a statement about the Giant Way or there was some kind of so that said something to me, because that might have meant maybe they were getting to a time where that that kind of attitude or whatever was was, you know, kind of straying away, or that age of player was straying away. And then guess what, man, it came back when you got guys like Buster and Crawn Belt and all those guys that are going to celebrate this weekend, right, I mean, all those guys were grinders and those are the guys you like watch playing and I look at you know, just this year for me, I mean, god, I hate it Team Luis Rise get traded. I understand it, But that guy's a grinder, man, he was a giant's way, right. I Mean, that's that's how you play the game with a love and emotion and just a great feeling about putting that black and orange on every day and being proud that that's on your chest. And you know, and even the greats that we've had, I mean Barry and Jeff, I mean they had a lot of pride in wearing that uniform every day for a long time. And you know, again, it all starts like back in the beginning with the guys that came before us, and that's how you pass it on and you pay it forward. So you know, I was very appreciave for that.
Speaker 5: A couple more minutes for Richard really on the UMA guest line.
Speaker 9: Yeah, just your thoughts about the trade deadline, six players in total, but this reaction, you know, your your reaction to Luisa Rise, Robbie Ray, and Ellie Ramos being dealt to the deadline.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 8: I hate seeing arisegow because he was just fun to watch as a hitter, right, I mean, they're just his his mannerisms and his his vocal appeal and ball that he could get a bat on and put him play. You know, I gotta say, I don't know much about the guys they got in return, because they're all a lot of them are more lower you know, lower level minor leaguers. But Bustin did I think what he had to do, and you know, without using the rebuild word, I mean, it's as close as you could get to it.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 8: I mean, listen, we all knew Robbie Ray would be dealt. I think we all knew Luisa Rise would be dealt. I mean Ramos was kind of a I think that was kind of a coin toss, you know, And I guess in my mind, you know, I don't know because I haven't we haven't seen I guess enough of them. But like, had we seen the best of Elliot Romos, I don't know, or had we not? You know, I don't know. I mean I did see a few strides defensively this year, because I think last year he might have been embarrassed a little bit by the way he played defense. But I don't know if we saw the best of him, and then you you know, then you go with the other trades. I mean, you just you know, you move guys and you have to and you know, hopefully you get a haul and return and hopefully a couple of these guys hit. I mean, that's all you could really hope for. And you know you got to go in, you know, you got to go in the next year saying you're gonna, you know, try and to win. But you know, you also good core people. You still have a good group of guys, I mean, you know, offensively at least on the field, but you know, you don't know what it's going to be as far as you know pitching goes. And I would I was surprised that Chilean went. I mean, that might have been the one big surprise for me because I thought he'd been doing a decent job this year at the back end of that bullpen, which.
Speaker 2: Really the voice you hear on the UMA guest line of part of the NBC Sports Bigginess pre and post game Giants coverage all season long. Rich, We appreciate the time as always. Dude, are you are you back in town for a while? Are you going to Greece or where are you off to next?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 3: Are you're always on the move.
Speaker 8: I'm I'm in town for a while. I'm going to Montana actually Saturday for just like a five day little getaway thing. But yeah, I'm kind of like I'm at that point right now to somewhere like I'm kind of happy being home. Yeah, so I really don't want to go anywhere, but I do want to say this, So, yeah, Derek, I did text with your dad today a little bit, man, And I love that guy, and uh, you know, it's it's funny when when we text each other, you know, he always he always texts me back like Brothers for Life with the Italian flag and I love it. And I was like I was like, hey, man, I I you know, I really you appreciate you that because I learned so much from him, yeah, when I first started doing TV. So yeah, so I'm glad. I'm glad I got a chance to talk to him today. And I check in with him every couple of weeks and uh, you know, hopefully he's hanging in there and starting to feel a little bit better.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Richie.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you. Rich will do to you next week. Man, thanks so much.
Speaker 8: All right, guys, figure than.
Speaker 2: They're just one of the best dudes, all my favorite dudes. Richard Williot Man, just awesome.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park before Tonight's Giants game on the Sports.
Speaker 2: Leader Dirty Work on a Friday evening, Adam Copeland Deepop hanging out with it from the patio fifty eight Social. The Giants and the Tigers tonight, getting ready to start a three game series and open this home stand here after a uh after a rough roading, Oh yeah, rough roady. Well, it's tough to get it's tough to get up for these games. Huh, well, I'll say this. I was like sitting there talking to a really I was like, tell us about the giant way. Yeah, there's really not much to say for the rest of the season, Eddies Leonard, I got Buddy Kennedy, but like for fans, just cheers these last forty seven games in my kruka. Yeah, that's what I said. That's what it's about. Tough to do if you're here. Yeah, if you're here, if you're hearing you have that because you don't. It's one les day a crew kie get you know. Yeah, I mean pop on your you know YouTube. Fools doing here and you're missing out on.
Speaker 3: Games.
Speaker 2: You guys messed up coming to the yard. You only got him for a limited time. You're insane, all right. We got pregame at six fifteen and uh and plenty more coming your way, including some of the best sounds from across the sports world we might have missed or you might have missed.
Speaker 3: We didn't I did. Derek put it together. We call it the Dirty Works Sound Suarez.
Speaker 5: Please, Dirty Work Sounds.
Speaker 4: No, I've whipped up this nasty little Suarez.
Speaker 1: The best sounds you might have missed.
Speaker 4: What swar honey, I think that means hard sports.
Speaker 2: Lead your sound soiree for Friday the seventh, Today's seventh, August seventh, twenty twenty sixth, and it starts with my favorite dude who's pretending to be married, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: Dude, hold on here it mounts.
Speaker 3: Can I get it?
Speaker 2: Can I get a Can I get by round of applause on the patio? Who thinks Aaron Rodgers wife is fake? A round of applause and hands go up?
Speaker 3: What are we doing? Only two? Two people? Everybody else believes this woman is real.
Speaker 2: That he dated celebrities forever, for like two decades, he dated celebrities. All of a sudden, he's got a wife name, he's he's turning a corner. No way, dude, No, you guys are yeah. I bet you believed he was vaccinated too.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Here's Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: He's asked by Kyle Brandt about reuniting with his family.
Speaker 3: Here's Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 11: I was genuinely moved by your post with your family and your parents, Like genuinely, I thought it was really really cool.
Speaker 5: How does that affect you in your heart?
Speaker 4: In your head?
Speaker 10: Right now, there's been a lot of conversation about it outside of my own conversation, and for so many years, you know, a big part of it was getting married and having those conversations with my wife that allowed me to kind of open up to the possibility of coming together. It's been a couple year process now, the conversations with them, but you know, I've been very, very closed off about that part of my life, and I want to keep it that way, but there's been a narrative that's gone on for too long that I wanted to kind of shut down. And it's been really beautiful to reconnect with them, all of them, and I got to spend a week a long weekend recently. Those those pictures are from in Nashville with my parents, my brother and his sweet wife, and they're incredible two kids. So I got to be an, which is really it's really special. So a lot of my life has been full circle, I think the last the last year, and that was part of it. I knew it was part of it, and I'm happy to be reunited and that part of my life is a really beautiful addition. And I got to give my wife a lot of credit for not that she was pushing me because she never was, but just the way that she loves and supports me. Having her by my side during this process has been really special. And I missed those relationships, and there was reasons for it that don't need to be talked about. But I'm thankful that that that's come all the way back around.
Speaker 5: There you go, that's all you need to hear. The wife is real?
Speaker 2: How come he mentioned every person in his family that was there and we've seen video and photo of every one of these interactions. If your wife was so crucial to this and these are public places. He was at his own high school's induction ceremony into the Hall of Fame. You got his brother there, you got his nephew's there, you got his parents there, and no wife, but she was instrumental in making this options.
Speaker 3: Like crowds, I don't buy it. I ain't buying it for a minute. I ain't bind it for a minute. Dude.
Speaker 2: We got pictures of everybody doing everything. Everybody's got a phone, but nobody knows who Aaron Rodgers' wife is.
Speaker 5: I'm not yeah, man, she's like blanket.
Speaker 2: I'm not buying that guy's that kid's real. Well he shouldn't have named him blanket. Yeah, you shouldn't name a black kid blanket.
Speaker 4: That's message.
Speaker 3: That's not good. Nothing soft now blanket quote confident, None.
Speaker 8: Of that is.
Speaker 2: That's a cat Williams line. I'm not buying it nothing. The more he brings her up, the faker it seems, all right. I think that it's are you really more convinced than you were? The fact that he uses her to say, like, then why do we have video evidence of all of these events he's mentioning, and nowhere is she to be found.
Speaker 5: Because he posted himself and he doesn't want His wife is very secret.
Speaker 2: He posted himself to them he were post was posting things about it. Well, he wasn't posting himself. Well regardless, somebody getty, where's problatory?
Speaker 3: Stop with the kauhai stuff and find the wife.
Speaker 5: I would much rather want that.
Speaker 3: I'd rather get populatory finds out if Aaron Rodgers' wife is real.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you guys, you're all but you're all buying in In like five years, he's gonna be like, you guys are idiots.
Speaker 3: You thought I actually had a wife. You're too obsessed with somebody else's world. So this guy is tell this guy is.
Speaker 9: It's it's like a Tyler Durden situation where he's imagining his wife.
Speaker 2: Dude, he's gonna be like a wife is really whatever you make it. Yes, however you determine what that would be very Aaron Rodgers. But no, I am immunized. I've a real realigned what it means to have nuptials and have a wife. You can't get enough of this guy. I told you I'm coming back around on him because I like that he's lying. Yeah, yeah, I mean I'm endorsing the lie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you like, appreciate all the boy I appreciate.
Speaker 2: I think he's I think he's working a bit and I appreciate it. Yeah, he's sitting there with Kyle Brant, like on the Virgintiers.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, Well, Kyle Bran could do that to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brand, he's on Jeopardy. He had Sports Jeopardy. Yeah, yeah, how'd you How would you faire on that? On sports show?
Speaker 3: I think I do okay with the stuff they're rolling out there. I'm like, I think I'd be fine on this.
Speaker 5: I think I'd be good at Sports Jeopardy. Regular Jeopardy not so much.
Speaker 2: There is episodes of or I wouldn't say episodes. There are rounds of Regular Jeopardy where I'm like, I'm on a done okay and that one yeah, And then they're like thirteenth century French art and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I got nothing to lost me on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm like, you want to get through Tim's trivia, I'm pretty good.
Speaker 2: They're like yeah, They're like they're like, uh, bodies of Water from the seventeen hundreds.
Speaker 3: You're like, I'm out.
Speaker 5: And then they like it's like some random celebroiography of Prussia.
Speaker 3: I'm like, nope, I'm done.
Speaker 9: Like this guy from Big Bank Theory, he's gonna ask this question, well, why do I give a dam?
Speaker 4: Is this guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's talking to Flash. What do I care? Here's Bill Simmons.
Speaker 2: Bill Simmons and Menachims are debating quarterback of the New England Patriots, Drake May.
Speaker 3: You know he went to the Super Bowl last year?
Speaker 7: He did?
Speaker 3: Drake May?
Speaker 2: Who who's listed in the same tier in Mike Sanders, QB tears as one, Lamar Jackson, Yes, tier too, as is a rock perty. Here's Bill Simmons and Menaicims debating if Drake May.
Speaker 3: Is a top hold on a top four quarterback. Oh yeah, I don't need to hear this. I know the answer is no, it should be. Here's what they have to say.
Speaker 12: I have Drake May fourth, which I think people would think is high, made the Super Bowl last year and had crazy stats.
Speaker 6: Well, you have Drake May over Joe Burrow and Lamar jacks I'm gonna explain why.
Speaker 5: In the second.
Speaker 3: I'm a Drake May guy.
Speaker 12: You're testing me, okay, meaning you know what I like results. Drake May went seventeen to four last year and he had crazy stats. It's not like it was like some sort of flute thing. And they added Ajrown, who is either the seventh, eighth, ninth, or tenth best receiver in the league. They added Dobbs, they improved the offensive line. Why isn't he a top five QB?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 12: Why isn't he a safer bet than Lamar Jackson, who's like six years older.
Speaker 3: Than him, Because Lamar has done it for seven years. I just watched year was one year, dude.
Speaker 5: I'm all in on Drake.
Speaker 6: I mean I have taken my slings and arrows for my MVP vote, which I will still stand on. In defense, but like, I don't think you can credibly after just one season rank him above those guys.
Speaker 5: I just think he's okay.
Speaker 3: I love him.
Speaker 5: I think he's so good. I don't know. I would just rather have Drake Man.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling you he's a Patriot fan.
Speaker 9: As a Patriot fans transfer dude, No, this is the homerization of like sports media now where people have to give their take align with their fandom. I don't give a damn that Bill Simmons is a Patriots fan, give a fair take like now, like.
Speaker 2: But he'sn't he being real to himself by saying I am biased, I'm a Patriots fan.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he's saying.
Speaker 2: Here's but it's like a real top ten though, But he's telling you where his take's coming from.
Speaker 3: So why are you upset about it?
Speaker 9: Because it's ridiculous. Yeah, I agree, but like, okay, like, d do you think irate? It's not on ESPN, it's it's on his own podcast. Like to give a top ten list and say Drake Mays better than Joe Burl Lamar Jackson, you're not watching football then.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is the guy who grew up with the Patriots being you know, the butt of the NFL, and then became the greatest dynasty of the NFL and scene in a generation, you know what I mean, And so and so they were hungry to find the next guy. They're quick to crown, is what I'm saying. Same thing with Boston fans in the Red Sox went forever, didn't have a title. He Larry Bird his whole life. Yeah, I mean, he's a diehard Celtics guy too, Bill Simmons, But you know where Bill Simmons is coming from, So take it with a great of salt. The same as if you were to hear Stephen A. Smith say Brock party, he's the best quarterback in the NFL, Like everybody who's an Iron fan would be like, look, we love Brock, but come on.
Speaker 3: We all know that's not true. No, and that's that's real. Yeah, that's real.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying you've got to take, like, consider the source. So he's you're saying, everybody's got to have their take from the spot of their fandom.
Speaker 3: But he is a fan.
Speaker 2: I would rather him be real about his fandom than pretend not to be. Like, am I ever gonna give the Dodgers the time of day when I'm rating things or ranking things.
Speaker 5: No, but you're also fair about it, Like it's not the Dodgers, I tell you those guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't want to deal with those guys.
Speaker 5: Okay, I get that, as.
Speaker 3: They ruined my thirties. Okay, I get that.
Speaker 9: But like also, like I don't need my green bird like telling everybody like I'm a Jets fan.
Speaker 5: I'm a Jets fan. I don't want to her Jets.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: That's what this is though. If they're not journalists, they're entertainment. And the way we're sitting here, I don't like it. I'm We're in a candlestick parture. You think I got some unbiased opinions. Wow, the giants stink. That's where we're at.
Speaker 3: There, you got the reality.
Speaker 5: You gotta be honest about it too.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting in my own poop, you know what I mean, That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Here's here's more on the the sounds Worry Jeff Passing. Here's the guy who I never anticipated to show up on the All the Smoke Pod with UH with Stephen with Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes.
Speaker 9: Well do Will Ferrell was on there a couple of weeks ago, like they're they're more fitting.
Speaker 2: It's more fitting than passing either way. Well farrel advertising movies, goofies coming out with them. We've got Passing out here talking.
Speaker 5: Okay, what about Charlie Sheen with All the Smoke?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was banging seven gram roxy. Yeah, Charlie she absolutely should be on that. Sorry, kid, don't look that up.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: Here's Jeff Passing. He's on the All the Smoke podcasts. He's talking about dude. We all love Tim Winslegm. Here's Jeff Passing.
Speaker 11: I heard about Tim Linscom well before he became a star in the big leagues, because, uh, you know, I've been I've been kind of a pitching nerd for a long time. I heard from a scout about this kid at the University of Washington who moves like nobody you've ever seen before. And the first time I saw Tim Linscomb, I was like, this dude is like myself.
Speaker 5: What five eight five, I'd see like five.
Speaker 11: He's like he was probably like at his peak, like five ten, like one sixty five, freakishually strong. You ever see like those wiry, strong dudes who don't look the part super Yeah, but they just have and and Tim tim linzk dad from an early age wanted to create the best picture in the world. When I saw him for the first time, I wanted to write about him. Reached out to his father and kept in touch with him throughout the years. And Tim Linsegam at his peak, absolutely unbelievable and just It's one thing I love about baseball. You can be five foot six and jose Al twov and win batting championships in an MVP. You can be five foot ten and Skinny is a pixie Stick and Tim lincego and win multiple Scions. Or you could be Randy Johnson at six foot ten or Aaron Judge at six foot seven. It's not quite basketball like in that regard, but there's a lot.
Speaker 5: Of basketball to it. There's no look to it, no, no, there's really the heart.
Speaker 11: It's just a question do you have the skill?
Speaker 4: Do you have the skill?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean pitching and baseball have always been the most Pitching the baseball has always been the.
Speaker 3: Most unique in that regard.
Speaker 2: Like you know, so you can if you work hard, you can grow up and be anything you want, not a basketball player, right, like I'm sorry. If you're five to seven just not going pro in the United States, you're I'm playing probably not in the NBA. Tim Lentium was weird in terms of his build, what he was able to do. He also came into the league at a point where I was at his major league debut May seventh or May sixth, two thousand and seven, something like that. He placed the Phillies on Sunday Night Baseball, and I remember we were like, it was shocking that he came out with throwing one hundred miles an hour, Like you didn't have guys that did that. You'd have closers that did it, and you had a few dudes who would do it at the at the starting pitcher position. But for a kid to come out and do that, then he wouldn't ice his arm. A couple of weeks later, he struck out ten in Houston for his first double dugit strikeout game. And that was the day I remember by Krico on the postgame show, he said, after a daylight today, you're gonna see a lot of guys start getting lyns comitis, where Linsingham's gonna roll into town and have to face the team and they're like, I'm not feeling good Today's say I think I'm gonna take the day off. So now it's fun always to hear guys talk about Linsingham and talk pitching. I just it's it's it was such a short lived era of Giants baseball. It doesn't get the run nationally, and I'm glad Passing thinks about it that it should continue to get because he's on a short guys with multiple World Series, multiple no hitters, and multiple Cy Young's, there's like five guys to do that.
Speaker 3: It's incredible, maybe maybe fewer.
Speaker 9: Kyle har askes yesterday who's the next guy that will be on the Wall of Fame? And he brought up Linseicom. You don't think he's coming back for something like that?
Speaker 3: I just said it could be Lensing. I'm like, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's a recluse. He's come back for one thing ever, and it was Bruce Bochie's retirement, right, that was it, and he came back for something that wasn't about him. I don't think he's a guy that wants to be honored. Maybe down the road potentially, but last time I heard about him, he was he's playing golf of Sergio Romo.
Speaker 3: Nice was like, yeah, I just played with him. He showed me a photo of them on the golf course. Looks great. Still got the long hair, Tammy, he looks good man.
Speaker 2: So dirty work with you on a Friday afternoon, Adam Copeland deepop with you on the patio of fifty eight Social.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take a quick break when we come on back.
Speaker 2: John Morose, he joined us earlier in the show talking actually some Santase Sharks, but mostly some Giants baseball and how things look for the Giants after the trade deadline, will play.
Speaker 4: That for you.
Speaker 2: And then after that, if we got any time left before the end of the show, we'll do a little getting dirty with the filth. Handfully, you guys are members of the filth. Derek decided he was gonna set up a mic and we're gonna take one question and one question, one question and one question only from each person as long as time permits. We'll do that after we hear from John Morosi. It's sturty work. It's a Friday, It's the greatest show in America and it's only here on the Sports Leader