Speaker 1: Now back to dirty work. Adam Copeland and Derek Papa in the k NBR Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you just drop in? Please play responsibly? Called one eight hundred Gambler.
Speaker 2: Thirty work on a Monday afternoon, Adam Copeland, Deep Hop, Danny Dunn. We were making the connection with Matt Mayoko, our forty Niners insider from NBC Sports Bay Area. We got the final preseason tilt for the Niners on Thursday, five o'clock kick off, two o'clock pregame. You can hear it on our sister station starting at two. Myself and John Dickinson the Niners and the Raiders in week three of the preseason.
Speaker 3: We made the connection. We got Dany.
Speaker 2: We made the connection with Matt Mayoko, our forty Dinner insider NBC Sports Barria Maple's going on?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, nothing much is going on today?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Man, what a bit of news to wake up to.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Deon Jones, Wow, yeah, yeah right.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe that didn't kill off the pup. I was like, what a bunch of news to talk about with Matt. I guess we'll start with the big story of the day, and that's around Jed York and his misdemeanor charge after his arrest I guess yesterday in eastern Ohio. Are there further details that need to be fleshed out here? I mean, is this thing for the most part complete? Is it comparable to anything we've seen in the NFL in terms of what sort of punishment he could be facing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think. I mean from a legal standpoint, it's over. Yeah, it was. It was taken care of in less than twenty four hours, you know, from the time that he was arrested at nine to thirty five am on you know, on a charge described as engaging in prostitution to you know, the legal wheels moving quickly and ultimately having that charge amended to disorderly conduct and pleading no contest to it. So from a legal standpoint, it's over. From the NFL standpoint, it's not over, because he is subject to the NFL's policy on personal conduct. And you know, the closest, probably most applicable comp to this would be robber Craft in twenty nineteen, when he was charged and faced, you know, the charges of solicitation, but he pleaded not guilty and that was set for a trial, but ultimately that charge was dismissed because of a court ruling that pertained to the audio and video surveillance that was deemed unconstitutional, so that was thrown out. And if under the bylaws of the NFL, as far as the personal conduct policy, it's a there doesn't have to be a convict or anything of that nature to qualify for discipline, and Robert Craft did not was not convicted that, Like I said, the charges were dropped. Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the league, ultimately decided that no discipline was warranted. And to my knowledge, all Robert Craft did was he issued an apology public He apologized to the fellow owners at a league meeting. I understand, But what makes this difference with Jed Yorik is the no contest flee is basically akin to guilty. That's how the courts view it. So I would imagine that that will be taken into account when it's time for Roger Goodell to make a ruling on that, and I would think that you know, there is the possibility of a significant fine as well as also the possibility that he could be suspended for period of time, that he would have to stay away from the team. But all that now, all that can happen because because the legal process has already, albeit very quickly, ran its course.
Speaker 5: I don't view this impact in the football team, Matt, with the exception of Kyle and John maybe having to answer some questions. But how do you think this situation impacts Jed York's reputation as an owner in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Oh, It's it's an embarrassing situation. It's it's hugely embarrassing for Jed, the York family, the entire forty nine ers family. So yeah, I mean, you know, I think Jed, you know, he was kind of viewed before the arrival of John Lynch and Kyle she Andahan, is you know, someone who liked the limelight a little bit and talked a lot and puts stuff out on social media. He's taken really a back seat in his role as a principal owner of the team, and even before that, as the CEO the team. He's really just kind of backed off and let John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan handle the football stuff. The only time I can remember him being involved was the off season where the forty nine ers opened opened the free agent signing period with a very much a splash signing, one that didn't turn out all that well, but they paid big money for Javon Hargrave and it was at a time when the Airs were kind of up against the cap and John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan talked amongst themselves and said, boy, this is a guy that could really help us. So they went to get owner approval to basically rip up the budget the team had put forward, and Jed York said, yeah, let's do it. You know, from a football standpoint, he signed off on, you know, some additions to the strength and conditioning staff, the human performance staff, as well as you know, some hydrotherapy areas investing. What the for Aerans have said is nine million dollars. I think John Lynch said that. But you know, as far as his day to day dealings with the football team minimal, you know, there there's not much. They have plenty of people from the coaching staff to the front office personnel department that handles the football site. So that side of it we'll run smoothly. As you mentioned, I don't think there will be any impact on the football team. However, you know, perception becomes reality. You know, four and hos get off to a bad starter, they have a bad season. We all know that a lot of people will be pointing the finger at Jed York for creating a distraction.
Speaker 3: That may ill go.
Speaker 2: Our forty nine Ers insider from NBC Sports Bay Area joins us as he does every Monday on the UMA gesk Line, transitioning him too some on field football stuff. I talked to you on Thursday and our forty nine our pregame show, and you had talked about George Kittle and his positivity around coming back and starting to ramp up a little closer to being able play. You said he'd have to come off the pup, likely this week if he were in play to play Week one. That has now happened. So what does this mean, what's the track to him getting back on the field, and how legitimate are his chances of.
Speaker 3: Playing Week one?
Speaker 4: Well, this certainly is part of that process. If there was any chance of him playing Week one, this would have been about the time frame to get out there. So he did put on pads on Sunday, did not take part in any eleven on eleven stuff. It's all been very controlled and that's part of the reason why seven months and nine days later from undergoing the surgery to repairs torn achilles tendon, he's been able to make this remarkable recovery to get back on the field. Now, the thing that I would say is that this is clearly a positive sign for George Kittle and his recovery from such a dramatic injury. But it doesn't mean week one he's going to Australia. He's going to play in that game. You know, the way George talked when he last spoke to us was, you know, he said he was noncommittal about week one. He was very committal. He was very committed about not starting the season on PUP. So now we know he's definitely not starting the season on PUP. But he also kind of introduced, or you know what I asked him about, if you're not going to play in the game, do you go to Australia, And he said that would not make any sense, that wouldn't make much sense to take travel to Australia. He also kind of introduced, like, hey, you know, you got to don't be a dumb ass was what he said. But he also said, you know it's okay, it's okay to play week two and if that gives you a better chance of being healthy for the entire season. So there there are no knowns. You know, we don't know how it's going to react, but there is plenty of data and anecdotal evidence for football players coming back from torn achilles. And I'm not saying this to be you know, a wise acre here, but there is zero precedence for a guy coming off an achilles injury and then traveling to Australia to play a football game, yes, and then traveling back from Australia. And the reason is because it's never happened forty Nite or the NFL has never played a regular season game in Australia. So I don't think anybody knows for sure how he would respond, how that Achilles would respond to being in the air for sixteen hours, being there in Melbourne for a week, and then playing a football game and then flying back. So I personally think, and this is just a guess, that the forty nine ers are very much toward not having him play in that game, and that way, you just give him more time, you give him ten extra days where he can stay in the Bay Area, continue to work on his cardio, his strength training, you know, his flexibility, everything, just recovery, physical therapy, all that stuff. And then also it avoids thirty two, thirty three, thirty four hours of flight time over a one week period. So it just seems to me, because of the unknowns, that that is probably, well not probably is without question, it's a safer play. And if the forty nine ers that George Kittill come together and they agree that the best chance of having him for a full season, you know, sixteen game season that he would a play week one, would be to stay home. I think that's the way they'll go.
Speaker 5: We saw Christian McCaffrey hit the practice field for the first time in a while yesterday and he said that there's some tightness, but it was all part of the plan, no holding, no contract situation. Have you seen a different approach from Kyle Shanahan this training camp when it comes to his veterans, whether it's Christian McCaffrey or Nick Bosa being cautious in their their timeline and practice and everything.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I've seen a complete, you know change in philosophy overall. You know, the way they've structured the practices. You know, he used to be three practices in a row, a day off and three practices in a row. Now the way they're doing it is it's, you know, two practices basically a jogg through day, so a very very light practice and then another practice and then a day off. So they are changing that up, But it does seem like with McCaffrey. McCaffrey did say, you know, when asked kind of in a roundabout way, you know, about the contract stuff, he did say that he realizes anytime he's not practicing, there's going to be a firestorm. But he said that that was part of the plan, was to ramp up because he you know, if it really was some sort of contract thing, to me, that made no sense because everybody knew that John Robinson and Jami or Gibbs were going to sign contracts. So if there was a hold in situation, why would Christian McCaffrey have been out there for the first ten days of training camp. That made no sense. Not to say that they aren't working on something behind the scenes, they very well might be, but that that part of it didn't make a whole lot of sense. Just didn't say, Oh, he's practiced for ten days and now all of a sudden he's doing a hold in. Well, I'll take him at face value. He said it was part of the plan to have that ramp up, kind of back off, and then ramp back up for the regular season. But I do think that they are They're doing everything they can, trying to do some new things as far as limiting the risk of injuries, and I do think that there have been throughout training camp some injuries that have kept guys out that maybe in previous years and maybe even in other teams training camps wouldn't be keeping guys out. Because the ultimate goal is for guys like McCaffrey and Bosa and Mike Evans and everybody else to just make sure that the guys who are going to be counted on to be big time contributors are ready to go when the regular season starts.
Speaker 2: Mat Mayoko, the Voice You Hear our NBC sports bearer, a forty nine Ers insider, joined us on the UMER guest line. One of the debates Derek and I've been having for the last couple of shows is about how the receiver room for the Niners shits out now. It looks a little different now with some of the injuries they faced. Jacob Cowing looked really good last week, but Kyle did note Who's one punt return that he lost in the lights and liked the punt return for a touchdown, but said he had not locked up the job yet. Watkins has looked really good. But I'm wondering about Christian Kirk and where he falls into all this. Are we trending towards like an injury designation to start the season for him and then that would open up that final spot for Cowing? Could he still make the team even though he hasn't really practiced or been healthy. Where are we right now with Christian Kirk?
Speaker 4: My guess is because it's an injury, a calf injury that he also sustained in the offseason program. I'm with you. I think that the way this is trending would be that he opens the season on injured reserve and then that eliminates him from possibility of playing the first four games of the year. But in the meantime, you know, it gives them a five weeks basically to determine when they bring him back. If they bring him back, if there's an opening, you know, the friends. Let's say said every team there will be some injuries at wide receiver and across different position groups that will that will force the team to dip into players who aren't on the fifty three, whether it's practice squad or guys coming off of R or pup. So that would be my guess that they're going to take it very cautiously with Christian Kirk and have him open the season on the ir list, which would enable them in essence, to keep seven wide receivers without exposing anybody any one of those two waivers. So the guys that I would say, you know, the three top wide receivers are quite clearly Mike Evans, Dejon stribling In, Deebo Samuel. After that, if if Jacob Cowing wins the job punt returner, he's on the team. And then I think Jordan Watkins has done more than enough to make the team, especially at his age, the speed he has just a greater upside. You know, a guy who's still under contract for this year and two more years after this, so I think they have to keep him. And then I think DeMarcus Robinson is a logical choice for one of the wide receivers as well. How he fits in a little debatable, I guess if everybody's healthy. But I would think that those would be the the six guys that they keep. And they do have some guys who you know, certainly aren't household names, and you know, guys that I think the team likes and like to keep around in some capacity more than likely practice squad. And those would be guys like Malik Turner, Will Pauling as a rookie, Trenton Irwin has done some good things. He's a veteran, as is Kadero Hudds. So they do have some pieces there, kind of you know, they have their top, top line guys, and then they have some guys at the bottom of the roster who are pretty decent players too that in the right situations could help out. But yeah, I would think that Christian Kirk is somebody that want to keep around and there is zero urgency to get him on the field when you look at the entire wide receiver's numbers.
Speaker 5: Game Cole More minutes with Matt Mayoko on the UMA guest line, what do you make of the left guard situation right now.
Speaker 4: Matt Well, I think that anytime you have four people competing for one job, that means you don't have anybody for that job. And it's you know, it was a it was a two person competition, became the three person competition, became a four person competition, and then with injuries to Robert Jones and Austin Pleasants, it's back to a two person competition between Carver Willis and Connor Colby. So, uh, Connor Colby had the the opening. You know, he had a good offseason. Pads went on, things didn't look quite as good, and so they introduced Robert Jones into uh, into that picture. I think the way it looks right now, I mean when when I saw Austin Pleasants out there playing taking snaps in the preseason game, I thought, you know what, he's going to be the guy. He's going to be the starter left guard, isn't he? And then he gets injured. I don't know the extent of that. It doesn't sound like it's a long, long term thing, but we'll see. I think the forty nine ers d others would be that Carver Willis, the fourth round pick, is able to show and not that he can start the season as the guy. But uh, you know, I also think that it could very well be a situation like last year where you know, there was no clear cut starter, that they kind of had a left guard by committee kind of thing where you know, they went some games just rotating guys in. I know that Chris Furster is not adverse to that. Clearly, that's not the best case scenario. You want somebody who's just gonna lock it down and be your player. But I think the Fremers are gonna have to hold that thing together with with barbed wire and and uh, you know, just bailing wire to get that thing settled. I don't think there's a there's not a clear cutting answer right now.
Speaker 5: And then lastly, Matt, how was Keys Are a Pub on Saturday Night with Rod Brooks?
Speaker 4: It was great love keys Are Pub. I had a couple of guinnesses had that thank for it. Yeah, it's a good time, nice good deal. Mat. I invited you guys.
Speaker 3: You invited us.
Speaker 4: Should have been there, you invited the world.
Speaker 3: He tweeted it.
Speaker 4: I did invite the world.
Speaker 3: That's right. I should have come over there. It wasn't gonna make the drive.
Speaker 5: I mean, I regret it. It's a good time with Rod Brooks and Mo Go always yeah.
Speaker 2: And our pub always a good head and Matt may are going our forty nine ers insider from NBC Sports Area, Matt News filled day for the Niners. Appreciate the time as always, Thanks so much, Thanks Matt.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks guys. Okay, I'll talk to you next week. I guess cops, I'll talk to you on Thursday.
Speaker 3: I'll talk to you on Thursday afternoon. Do Thursday evening?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: We got the final Niners preseason game Thursday, pregame at two o'clock over our sister station, KSFO eight ten. Myself and John Dickinson did going at two o'clock. Derek and Rick Tittle, we'll have you for dirty work on the Thursday.
Speaker 5: Did you and Mag get into it last Thursday about the whole Keysar pub situation.
Speaker 3: We didn't talk.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think we talked it. He might have riffed on it a little bit, but we didn't talk about it.
Speaker 5: So Matt reported that the Niners going to hold a practice at Keysar Stadium.
Speaker 2: And then he you know, he's our stadium, and then he said he got some bad intel.
Speaker 5: I got some guts a bad intel, but then said I'm gonna be the regardless of.
Speaker 2: Said I'm standing on it, I'm I'm just gonna stand on that anyway.
Speaker 3: Albeit, Keysar at this TI with.
Speaker 5: One of his tweets THEO where he was like, you know what, I'm just gonna drive out there and just stand on Keysar Stadium, just be like, where.
Speaker 3: The hell's the team?
Speaker 2: So he tweeted out on I guess it was Friday. He said, Hey, me and Rod Brooks are going to get beers and keys our pub, come online and hang out and talk some niners. Good stuff and probably a fun hang for whoever made it out to hang with. Matt and Rod Brooks also want to remind everybody our forty nine ers round table is coming back. We got a forty nine ers round table scheduled. It's coming down Thursday, September tenth. That's Thursday night football against the Rams in Australia. You can come join everybody at KNBR at Almanac Adventure Land, sixty five to one West Tower Avenue in Alameda. That's right, We're coming to the East Bay. It's all gonna start ten am. Live from Almanac at Alameda Almanac adventure Land. Ten to noon you get Fair and Bias with John Lnn. Then noon to two thirty the twenty twenty six forty Niners Roundtable with Murph Marcus, John Lunn, myself, Derek, JD and maybe some Kruger, depending on if we have space at the table is what my I think, run does I think.
Speaker 3: We'll be there. I'd kind of like some space. He's gonna make me a little bit of space. We need Krewe we do.
Speaker 2: My cooler asked me you want to create at the roundtable? I said, how could we do a forty don a roundtable? And I have the guy who hosts the forty nine ers com every night of the week. More krugless me Chrich probably talking Niners to.
Speaker 3: A wall right now? Come on now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or otis windshield. I'm even listening. I'm just talking Niners to my windshield. And then two thirty to four thirty, after we wrap up the roundtable, myself and JD, we'll get you ready for the Niners and the Rams to kick off the twenty twenty six NFL season Thursday, September tenth. Hope to see everybody out there ten am until the post game ends. So we'll be out there all day long hanging out. Probably that twelve hours total. KMBR will be out at Almanac adventure Land in Alameda.
Speaker 3: Are Getty done?
Speaker 5: You coming?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be there.
Speaker 5: I don't know about all twelve hours, but I need you there for all twelve hour I'll be there.
Speaker 2: I'll be there setting up the other cords and the wires. I need you there holding some cable. Danny, all right, we'll take a quick break when we come on back. We did not get to some of this sound. Christian McCaffrey, who we just talked about, led the NFL and touches last year. He also had more carries in last year's and the twenty twenty five seat three hundred and eleven that he's had in any season of his NFL career. What did he have to say about his health following his usage last year.
Speaker 3: We'll play that for you next. It's dirty work. It's a Monday. It's only here on the Sports Leader.