Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on vsports Leader dot com at knbr V sports Leader app.
Speaker 2: All right, man, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's roll up our sleeves and get into it with Andy Bagley of the Athletic. He's sponsored by Marine Health, with top physicians, surgeons and clinicians right here in the North Bay. Marine Health puts you closer to your best health, world class care, closer than you think.
Speaker 2: Andy.
Speaker 3: I read your comprehensive recap of the trade deadline day in the Athletic outstanding as zolways. As we say good morning. Now as we wake up the next morning, you sleep on it. You wake up, the dust is settling. And somebody who was on vacation and didn't have Wi Fi just came back and.
Speaker 2: Said, Hey, Andy, what did.
Speaker 3: The giants do on the trade deadline? What was their message? What's your answer to that? What was the overarching theme?
Speaker 4: Oh, you missed the whole trade dead And then we'll sit down. This is going to take a while. Yeah, you know what, I gotta say, It probably took me longer to hyperlink to all of our stories then it did. Actually write the piece summarizing everything because I mean, we were all over it. It was really amazing to see everybody in action if you were behind the scenes and could like look at all the slack miss just going back and forth and stuff. We had so many editors and so many writers, and we had so many things pre written that.
Speaker 5: We're ready to go.
Speaker 4: And I mean every single trade had a story about the trade, a story about you know, trade grades, and then a lot of analysis and there was just so much on our site yesterday was really really amazing. So I just wanted to give a shout out to all of our editors and starting with Mark Coraig our MLB editor, and and and and obviously all the writers for really pitching in because it was a big, big day for for all of us in our business.
Speaker 2: And the theme was for the giants.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, right, the thing, Yeah, the actual content, the actual method, you know what I mean. I think the message was, you know, hey, look, we're not satisfied with the way things have gone. We know things have to change, and that means not only trading the impending free agents, but you know, taking advantage of guys whom might have a hot market to move them to get some pieces that might help to reset the team a little bit. But you know it's not a rebuild. And you might say, well, how do you trade six guys off your major league roster and add zero? I mean the Giants played a man down yesterday in Texas. I mean they took an all star second basement off the roster. They zik a former All star left fielder off their roster, the only two guys in their bullpen to throw hard, two fifths of their starting rotation. And you think, well, this is a team that's having a fire sale. But it's not a fire sale if Logan Web is still standing in the room, Because if it had been a rebuild, then Logan Web would be traded, and quite honestly, he would have gotten more than what the Tigers got for Terrek Schooble because he comes with two additional years of club control, so he would have been the big difference maker traded at the trade deadline if the Giants had put him out there. They didn't. They would have taken absolute pennies on the dollar for anybody who could give them a shred of cost savings on a Damis chapman En devs. They didn't do that. So this is not a team that's rebuilding, but they are a team that is definitely retooling in a big way, with an eye toward getting younger, boosting that farm system, trying to create a wave of talent that can really come up and make a difference. Now, does that really really make it appreciably likely that they're going to be a really good team next year? Probably not. So maybe you could quibble with whether it's a rerule or not. But if you're looking for the Giants to use the tradeline to make themselves a ninety win team next season, it probably wasn't the trade deadline for you. But you know, if you really just want to see the organization be in a healthier place, then I think that they accomplished that in a lot of ways.
Speaker 6: Bags This is now back to back seasons that we've seen the Giants be sellers at the trade deadline. Last year they moved three names. This year they've moved six. MURFH and I were discussing it earlier this morning. You might know better than both of us. Is this the biggest sell off at the trade deadline in Giant's history?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess it depends on what you call biggest. I mean, have they traded bigger players at the deadline? Gosh, I can't really think of I can't really think of guys that they've traded that have been just huge blockbusters. I mean really, the biggest trade that they've made mid seasoned in a long long time was the rock Yield Devers deal And I don't know if you want to call that a trade headline trade or not since it happened in June, but yeah, I don't know. I guess you could probably say it was the biggest sell off, probably the biggest sell off in the twenty whatever years I've covered the team, But again, I don't think that necessarily equits.
Speaker 3: To fire cell Yeah, but I can't remember volume wise, I can't never remember this many players being traded from the Giants. This to me is number one. But that said, we got to talk about the big one. So of all of them, I would argue probably the two most attractive ones for the industry would be either the Ramon Marquez from the Phillies going for Luisa Rise. But the one I want to ask you about first is the Marcello Meyer one. Red Sox fans were in their feelings about that they had complex feelings about it, and he was supposed to be the darling of the future. You know, whether do you want to compare him to Luciano or Marco Luciano or whoever the Giants had through the years that fans were in love with. But he had not performed in his brief stints as a Red Sox, and he was also injury prone. But there's this potential. You look at Casey Schmidt and Elliott Ramos's guys who took a couple of years to get going. So your take on the Marcelo Meyer trade, trading away Eric Miller from Marcello Meyer, how do you evaluate that one?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I think I would evaluate it pretty similarly to the way that Keith Law evaluated it on our site, which is you understand why the Red Sox did it. I mean, they feel like they have other players coming. Meyer's a guy who has had a lot of injuries, and you know, he was their opening day second basement, but they felt like they didn't have really a place to play him going forward and they needed a lefty reliever now. And this is a guy who's got some control and isn't just a rental We also know what Eric Miller's warts are because we've seen him pitch and he's got six walks per nine innings. You know, he's always going to be a high walk guy. He has a history of getting hurt, so you know, he stayed healthy this year, but last year he didn't, and then he was available to the Giants from the Phillies because he had that injury history. So you could be selling, you know, relatively peak value on him if you know he can't stay healthy from this point forward. And of course you wish him the best and you hope he has success and health, but he's still a reliever, and a reliever can only make so much impact. And this is a guy who's an everyday position player who was one of the top twenty prospects in the game basically a year ago, so he's still twenty three.
Speaker 5: Kind of cool.
Speaker 4: He went to the same high school as Casey Schmid, so you know, shout out to La Vista. Maybe there's gonna be some Giants fans there now. But you know, he's a guy who, if he does get back on track, he's you know, a four or five war player. He's a difference maker and just for a ten percent chance of getting that kind of player, it was worth the Giants doing this deal.
Speaker 2: Bags.
Speaker 6: The trade that stood out to me was Elliott Rama's being shipped out to the New York Yankees. What were your thoughts on the Giants treading away that controllable contract and overall the return package they got for Ramos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was It was a tough deal to trade Ramos, but you just kind of had a feeling they would because there were so many teams that needed a right handed hitting outfielder. And I think the Giants looked at a couple of things. One, you know, Ramos does have some limitations defensively. He's worked hard to get better this year, but we know it was a disaster last year, and they don't have a DH spot for the foreseeable future, certainly for the rest of this decade. If Devers and Eldridge are on the roster, so and you have other players coming up, You've got, you know, Victor Barracoto. They really like what they've seen from him, and I don't know if he's going to be an everyday big leaguer, but you know, you could maybe kind of close your eyes halfway and envision him doing what Ramos is doing. You know, they've got Dakota Jordan, they've got Bo Davidson, they've got Parks Harbor, they've got other players coming up, and so they felt like maybe they could cover that loss of Ramos and try to balance out the system because we know it's position player heavy. So if they were going to trade Ramos, it was only going to be if they got, you know, a really good pitcher back and lelane from the from the from the Yankee system. It is an interesting guy, six foot seven. He's from the Bronx, but he was actually an international signee from the Dominican Republic. And you know, he's a guy who wasn't protected from the Rule five draft a year ago. He wasn't major league ready obviously, so nobody took him. But that's where he's gotten to as a prospect. I mean, he wasn't making progress in the in the in the Yankee system, and and all of a sudden boom, now he's throwing ninety seven ninety eight with some really good secondaries. So the Giants have a guy that they that they can develop and hope can turn into something. And they just need as many of those guys as they can. I think he was the number five ranked Yankees prospect. So and then of course kayden Ken is the guy that the Giants, you know, as Buster Posey told us yesterday, they wanted to they wanted to take with their fort round pick last year, and the Yankee scooped him up thirteen picks ahead of where they were going to go. So is that one a little bit of a you know, kind of a narrative, you know, play a little bit of a popular deal to get Kent's kid in in the fold? And you know, Tent had joked that he can't be all the way in as a Giant because you know, he still has to be a little bit of a Yankee fan. Well, now that's out of the way, and we know that they have Peyton bonds in the system. So the whole thing of Tenton bonds, you know, is there some of it that might be a little beyond you know, the nuts and bolts baseball. Yeah, you know, they say no, but I believe maybe there's a little bit of a lure there. So yeah, it's a fun thing to dream on.
Speaker 2: Fun stuff. Andy Bagley.
Speaker 3: By the way, we had Jeff Ken on last week and he had great audio. I know you'll probably talk to him, but he goes, he goes. He was talking about Cayden's man. Yeah, I told him he's two forty. I'm going to kill him. So he said he's got to wants him to hit for a high average and move the ball around. He had a really good breakdown of him. You can of course find those at cambar dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: A couple other things to get to is it was interesting that Buster went out of his way. None of you asked him, and he just said, I would like to flag and highlight Ramon Marquez of the Philadelphia Phillies.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting that.
Speaker 3: He said that, and was that the one on the Arise trade that the industry sort of gave the Giants a golf clap on Huh.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I think that they were determined. However, the chips fell, and whoever was interested in the various players they wanted to feel like they came out of this trade deadline with one really, really highly ranked pitching prospect wherever it came from, and Marquez was one of those guys on their list that they thought might be available but weren't sure. And for the Phillies. He was the one guy that they thought okay, and a lot of teams are asking on him. He's probably going to be the one big chip that we use to get, you know, an offensive player who can really help our situation. And the Giants were the team that had the match, so I think they feel fortunate that, you know, they did find this match and they got the picture that they wanted because this is a guy, you know, he's still I think he's just twenty and really a neat story. Are Charlotte Barnes who interned with the Chronicle actually recently and now she's covering the Phillies for us along with Matt gel who does they built do a tremendous job. They they saw this coming. It was so obvious that he was going to be traded that they wrote a feature a couple of days ago on him just to tell his backstory. And he was signed for you know, ten thousand dollars when they found him at you know, a tryout in in Merit of Mexico. So yeah, a really neat story, and he obviously turned himself very very quickly into somebody who opened eyes and became really their second best pitching prospect in their system, and you know, you get a guy with a really really plus change up. He can make, you know, lower minor league hitters look really silly.
Speaker 7: And that's exactly what's happening bags.
Speaker 6: Going back from the Patrick Bailey trade to the draft a couple of weeks ago to yesterday's trade deadline, how much better is the Giants overall farm system than it was to start the season.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think you also layer in performance. You know, whether it's Dakota Jordan or Gavin Keelan, the way the two kids josu Ar and Luis Gonzalez and Hernandez are starting out in the Complex League and now at San Jose, the way just the teams have played in one I know it's not exactly the number one metric you look at, but you know the fact that the teams are playing well, they're playing good baseball, they're complementing each other well, those are habits that the Giants want to ingrain and it's happening. I think all those things are positives. And you know, it's been a really, really bleak year and I think the only thing that kind of, you know, maybe is the jewel in the crown is there has been a lot of progress in the farm system and this trade deadline, you know, only puts a little more air in the balloons. So where they're going to rank at the end of the year. And to be clear, you know, prospect rankings, farm system rankings, they don't matter. They're only concepts, right, I mean, there're Dart new flags fly forever based on where your system ranks. But it is a good barometer of just the health where you are. And I think that the Giants are very, very easily going to be a top ten system and some people think need to even top five in the year. Sommer four.
Speaker 3: Let's go Andy just a bit on this year's team, and you wrote a pretty really solid piece on Sunday just calling out the Giants handling of their pitching this year, from Tony Vitello to Frank Anderson ad justin message to Christian Wonders Marks. I even highlighted a few of Andy's key phrases strategic shortcomings, misuse of resources, odd usage decisions, have not looked to exploit matchups.
Speaker 5: Those are just a.
Speaker 3: Few phrases that you used you felt the need to write out that you just called it out, Andy, I'll give you credit.
Speaker 2: You called him out.
Speaker 3: You backed it up with a lot of evidence of any number of odd bad decisions they've used in handling their pitching this year. I don't know if you got any feedback or how you feel about, you know, when you wrote the piece and what you would say the Giants fans about, you know, how they fix that?
Speaker 2: Is it about cleanon house?
Speaker 3: Does this pitching coach staff not last the rest of the year, Does Tony V have to get a lot better fast?
Speaker 2: What's the what's the takeaway from it?
Speaker 4: I think I think everything has to be on the tables because you know, they've just they've just really been inefficient with how they've used their pitching this year. And now you know, they're about to wade into two months with you know, really a shred of a rotation and they're going to have to really mix it up. And I think they're recognizing that, and you're going to start seeing that Blade said, well, starting tonight they are looking at using an opener for Adrian Hauser, which they should have been doing earlier this year. But you know, I think for me, it's just the little things at UH and you start wondering, are they do they really, you know what's going on here, what's happening in the think tank, because you know, there's there's no reason Keaton Winn should be pitching the ninth inning of a sixteen to three game when he pitched the night before, especially when you don't have a day off the next day, and when and he's already been on the il for in playing belbow because you used them three times in a row earlier this year. Which might have been the worst decision that you know, that group has made all year was taking out logan web, putting in you know, a gas heat and win and letting his elbow blow up while you lose a game. So yeah, you know what, It's just, I think we were so conditioned to see the Giant's mind for every little advantage and and really do a lot of pitching chaos to the point where you know, it kind of ticked off fans under far hansiety and and uh and gave Kapler and and they weren't They were so unconventional. You wanted to know who the starting pitcher was going to be the next day. And I think the Giants have over corrected themselves, just straight into a ditch. I mean that's I think that's the phrase I used, and they got it. They got to examine that and whether that means changing personnel, whether that means changing the way that they do things, you know, you know, and however far up that goes. I mean, they have to pay attention to this because you know, we know the I think the way I phrased it was the who is a big question. Who's going to be in the rotation the rest of the way, who's going to be in the rotation next year? You know, who's who's going to be the candidates in camp next year. But that if the how doesn't change, then you're only going to get so much better.
Speaker 3: I think you said it perfectly and I think you're one hundred percent right on everything. So they're going to take a hard look at that at the end of the season and maybe make some changes. So all right, Andy, a lot covered and a lot more. Will do it again next week and keep reading in the Athletic.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks bags, Yeah, thanks guys.
Speaker 4: Take care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Andy Baggley Man so much covered there. Listen, we can get back to it. We got cooler content that A little check in on the football Mike Sander did his quarterback tiers, and then of course more reaction to the trade deadline and Tim Flannery at nine thirty. So great Tuesday on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone to this is the cooler.
Speaker 2: He's being a cooler of.
Speaker 4: Content, corner, capacious of joyful news.
Speaker 5: Might be all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now back to murphin markets on the Swarts Leader.
Speaker 3: Ah, the cooler of content giving you all the sound in the pop culture world you need to know about it. Sponsored by Marine Health with top physicians, surgeons and clinicians right here in the North Bay. Marine Health puts you closer to your best health, world class care, closer than you think. Mike Sando with some tears, some quarterback tears coming up.
Speaker 2: Where did Brock come down on all? Listen?
Speaker 3: How does it evaluate the Murph and Marcus top ten quarterback list that divided a nation earlier?
Speaker 2: So controversial?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: How where do we start? Santa Clara?
Speaker 3: No, not with a substation, No, not with injuries? How about New York Nick NBA champion, World Champion head coach Mike.
Speaker 2: Wow Mike Brown in the four A way.
Speaker 3: He was so great when he was a Warrior's assistant Raymond would give him to us and he was just the cackle and the motorcycle riding and the good vibe of Mike Brown. And they fired Thibodeau. Get some to the East Eastern Conference finals. Everyody lose their mind set. Well, the next guy they hire is gonna have to win the championship, and he did.
Speaker 6: Guess what, which is crazy because before the playoffs started, there's people in New York saying, are the next gonna fire Mike Brown?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. He's not an NBA champion.
Speaker 3: So his son is a coach with the forty nine Ers, Cameron Brown, defensive quality control coach.
Speaker 2: So Mike Brown basking in the globe.
Speaker 3: Is bling and being a former Bay Area resident who likes the forty nine ers, came out to practice.
Speaker 2: We have a video on this Walt.
Speaker 3: So YouTube, Twitch and Twitter. Enjoy a video audio in your car. Mike Brown, NBA Champ, World Champ, former Warrior, well interim head coach too for a while, professing his love for the forty nine ers and his son's new team here the Niners.
Speaker 5: A great man.
Speaker 8: I'm excited for the season. I'm always rooting them on, you know, Giants, Jets, apologize, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: My heart love.
Speaker 8: All that stuff is right here in the Bay Area whatever. Since my youngest son became a part of the staff, I believe I'm not bleed orange and blue with the Knicks, But there's a little sliver in that heart when you slice it open that the red comes out, and I make sure everybody knows it.
Speaker 5: When I'm back in New York.
Speaker 3: Mike Brown, you know what I love too is is none of this fake bs. You know I'm gonna root for the New York Giants in New York Jets now because I'm there, He said, Giants Jets.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Yeah, I'm a forty nine. Sorry. We placed some ball on the West Coast march and.
Speaker 3: Then he started to say bleeds red and gold, and he had to throw in the I mean, I bleed orange and blue, but there's some red in there. So man, man, we gotta get Mike Brown to what do they start the fog? Is it the foghorn that they do.
Speaker 6: With Levi's I was gonna say, get Mike Brown to walk out with the boom box. There you go, and Walter, let me know if you have my song of choice dialed up, I need it if you have it. Mike Brown walking out of the Levi's tunnel blasting Baja man who let the dogs out straight from the championship. Arraid the dog.
Speaker 5: We got the dog on.
Speaker 2: This team later set it up, Mike Brown, who let the dogs.
Speaker 3: Well, hey man, Mike Brown didn't Now, I want to make sure he didn't get hurt in the filming of that video.
Speaker 6: Ah yeah, I gotta keep it away from that substation, A damn substation.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, Burnsy's next up. Eric Burns, our buddy on the No Filter podcast. He's great, but he we just have strong disagreements with Burnsy whether his son just got chosen on the fourteen you like national team, small team?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a stud little league player, right.
Speaker 3: Colton Burns Man, Yeah, he's been trading that kid at a young age and he's been throwing him cheese since he was six years old. Yeah yeah, yeah, uh Well, Burnsy, I mean he did not want to trade Luisa Rise, and he was very unhappy when Luisa Rise was traded. So here for all you people who didn't want to trade Luisa Rise, here's your patron, saint, Eric Burns.
Speaker 9: So Luisa Rise rated for the Phillies number four prospect right in a picture. There's one thing that's pretty easy to find in the game of baseball. That's right, had a pitcher number four prospects right in a pitcher for Louisa Rise, the magician, the one guy that has brought the entertainment value for the samass with Giants. Is here the one reason to turn on the TV or go to the ballpark? Eased every single night you treated Luisa Rise, the leader of the clubhouse, a leader of that Latin community, for a number fourth prospect right handed pitcher, not giving up a gold glove of a second basement, leading the league in batting average multiple time, batting him for a finer league right hand a pitcher.
Speaker 2: No, what should have you shif a Rise to a long term.
Speaker 9: Deal, you keep up and the Phillies you keep your number four profect right up picture? Ah, good morning.
Speaker 3: Give him a lot of credit for entertainment value there, good stuff.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: What's his beef with right handed pitchers? He do un'tlike righties?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's more righties than lefties in the big But would he have been all right with the trade if they got a left handed pitcher instead of right handed pitcher.
Speaker 2: Inn like John Montafusco, yea like see you see the thing is burnsy.
Speaker 6: If the Giants would have kept him, he would have walked away for absolutely nothing. You wouldn't have got a right handed pitcher. You would have got a left handed pitcher. You would have got Jack Squat. Now I can understand if you're upset that the Giants did not sign him to a longer deal this offseason, but there was no chance in hell Louise Rise was gonna sign a contract extension this year because what burns he just laid out. He's one of the best hitters in baseball, and his work with Ron Washington has taken his game to another level. The market's gonna be huge for Luisa Rise's offseason, and that's why you have to trade him. As entertaining as fun as Luisa Rise has been to watch this year, they were eighteen games under five hundred at the trade deadline and he was on an expiring contract.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the leader of the clubhouse, a leader that lot of community free number four prospective right had.
Speaker 3: A pitcher doesn't like those, so his argument would be no, even say in Burgess, no, you go get him a five year, one hundred and.
Speaker 2: Sixty dollars millionar dear right now, is that what he would say?
Speaker 3: Which would be crazy to tie him down along with Devers and Dominson Chapman, Right, but the point is to your point, Yeah, you're right, he's gonna go try somewhere else. And by the way, did you see in his farewell press hit with the with the Riders about how much he loves San Francisco and how thankful is he goes It's cold but.
Speaker 2: I love it so dude. That's two words right there. It's cold. He's gonna go somewhere warm to hit. Yeah, I mean, Louisa Rise is gonna get paid.
Speaker 6: And look, I wouldn't be mad if the Giants do entertain maybe another contract for him this offseason. But the facts are the facts. They were not going to sign into a contract extension this season. And that's why you had to move on from Luisa Rise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Man. Sorry, Darryl who just texted me into very angry what I'm sorry? This one just doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 2: Guys. You gotta get something, even if it's a number four, right, hit a picture? All right?
Speaker 6: The other scenario was him walking away like Kevin Cosman, like Blake Snell, like Carlos Rodan, and you're stuck holding that, you know what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, coach oh ed Orgeron is on cameo? Have you done cameo? Have you ever bought a cameo?
Speaker 5: No, I'm not. No.
Speaker 6: I know that we've bought a couple of cameos on this show, but personally not from my credit card.
Speaker 3: Phil Simms cameo Lives Forever. Paul I got Candae two years ago. A rowdy Gaines cameo. He's the swim former Olympic gold medalist in swimming, who's now the swim commentator in NBC Olympics from the Paris Olympics and manch for her birthday. Oh my god, freaking loved it. Saved it the whole deal. So sometimes cameos can work, isn't don't We have Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray.
Speaker 2: Oh was that a cameo? I believe he was hired.
Speaker 3: To let down a guy. He was hired by a gal to break up with a guy.
Speaker 2: That is what he said. Yeah, he said, you're right.
Speaker 6: Also, we one time got a Nikki he cameo from one of our listeners who said to one shut out, p one chuck.
Speaker 3: One Chuck, who said, yeah, anyways, blank the Dodgers exactly.
Speaker 2: Anyways, yeah the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: That's from the cameo, p one Chuck us, I've got an affinity for the Irish.
Speaker 2: So Coacho is available on cameo. Everybody enjoy ed.
Speaker 5: Ars are on so guych O. Soon to be football season. I know we can't wait. Check out these leaves, jump alive, Hush puppy, poor boy Dumbo. The old lady Queen Kelsey will beat your fantasy of football this year. Getting in good shape and though you're out there running in the heat every day, running your one tens, big chest, big eyes, not bending over. Can you win the game in the third quarter?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Can you win the game in the fourth quarter?
Speaker 8: Hell yeah?
Speaker 5: Good luck to everybody. Go Tiger.
Speaker 2: There is a little sample tag. I want to have some of him in your life.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: That's Southern drawl, good stuff.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: Hey, I look up a Mike Sando of the Athletic to his quarterback tiers.
Speaker 2: Let's find out where they all rank.
Speaker 3: Talk a little football quarterback and then Tim Flannery at nine to thirty more reaction to the trade deadline the nine o'clock hour on the Sports lad.
Speaker 1: Listen to V Sports Leader anytime anywhere, tellnbode knbr V Sports Leader app. Murphin Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in one eight hundred gambler?
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: One of the traditions this summer is the Mike Sando Quarterback tiers list. Always fun to argue and debate. Heck, we even made a top ten quarterback list a couple of weeks ago. That's how content crazy we are. And we have him on the zoom on our new fancy zoom.
Speaker 2: Call here, Mike Sander, our buddy from the Athletic. We'll see where brock Perty came in.
Speaker 3: Spoiler alert, tied for eleventh, did not crack the top ten, despite you and I a couple of homers putting him on our top ten list. So Mike, welcome back to Murph and Marcus here on the Sports Leaders San Francisco.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Mike, Hey, more to Mike, I'm doing great.
Speaker 7: You know, the wife really likes the zoom thing, because then I you know, I got to comb my hair and you know, take look halfway presentable. So thanks for you for your service.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, well you've always been a guy with the best connection in the business. That's always been like a hallmark of you. But now that we get to see I'll cleaned up too.
Speaker 2: I would prefer you. You can come on with BedHead. You're good. You don't have to clean up for us.
Speaker 7: I got a haircut yesterday.
Speaker 3: Okay, you go in honor of the tier, in honor of dropping the tears. He cleaned it up nicely. Okay, Well let's start. There's so many different ways to go with that. Let's start with number one. It's Patrick Mahomes And I think there's almost like a narrative out there right now that is he number one?
Speaker 2: Right, I mean like that coming off the.
Speaker 3: Injury and questions, do you tell me, were you surprised at all that he still is number one? From your and by the way, just making sure for people don't know, this is a vast survey of NFL executives in front office types, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, fifty coaches and execs. I think there's eight gms, nine head coaches, maybe fifteen coordinators, you know a lot of people that prepare to face all these guys. So you know, obviously Mahomes gets a ton of respect somebody. You know, it's been said before. You know, he's sort of in the Brady seat, you know, Tom Brady like got to a point where he's just gonna be cheer one, Like You're not gonna it would take a lot of years of really bad play to get him out of there, right, And so he was. He was unanimous Tier one until like one of my last ballots, one of the last ballots was a two, So he gets one two. He's still top of the survey. A ton of people have a ton of respect for him, and I think that.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 7: I like the fact that people just don't overreact on the short term. One of the points that was made in this was I went back and looked Joe Montana had three straight one and done starts in the playoffs. And if you go back and read and I've done it. I went back in the archives, read the you know, the Chronicle and Glenn Dickey and guys writing about you know, what was going on back then. There was some there was and obviously they had Steve Young there and there was talk, and shoot, Montana won the next two MVPs. You know, so I think people feel like Mahomes has earned that regard right that they could usually win the next two MVPs.
Speaker 6: Mike Murph and I were going through these exercise just a week or so ago. Listen out our top ten quarterbacks, and it seems like there was almost a consensus from the tier one quarterbacks, the top four to five quarterbacks in the league.
Speaker 1: But then it.
Speaker 2: Feels like once you get to that five, six to.
Speaker 6: Twelve thirteen range, you could pretty much shuffle and put together the list anyway you want.
Speaker 7: I believe that too, and at that point the list may say more about you and how you view the game, right, And so one of the things I did was, you know, break it down by hey, what did the coordinators think versus or what did the offensive coaches think versus defense? Right, what did the gms or personnel people think compared to others? I thought justin Herbert was pretty fascinating that way. You know, coming in at six, hasn't really done it yet in the playoffs, yet everybody would want a half him as their quarterback. Almost all the teams below Herbert would want to have them right on their team, might even trade their guy even if they won a Super Bowl with them, Sam Darnold, Joe and hurts that you'd rather have Herbert right. But it does get to be you could defend putting them lower.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Mike Sando does the great quarterback tiers and fifty NFL head coaches and front office and gms and executives and coordinators all ranking these quarterbacks. It's one of the most fun things to do in the NFL. Pat Mahomes number one. Before we get to Brock, I do want to talk about the fact that you say the four are locked in, and the four Josh Allen and Joe Burrow and Matt Stafford and Patrick Mahomes, and I'm a little surprised even I have I call it five. I still put Lamar there. You tell us what did the league say about Lamar? Why is he not in that same tier as those other guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, clearly last year wasn't as good for him, and his legs weren't there. You know, he didn't run. He still got what twenty twenty eight votes I believe in in twenty two votes in tier one, So you know, a lot of guys forty percent of the panel basically little more than that, are still putting him in Tier one. But his rushing yards went down to twenty five yards per game. It was fifty before that, and it was in the seventies before that. So what is he without that dynamic running ability? I think people feel like he's probably a high two mike.
Speaker 6: Getting down to brock Party at the number eleventh ranking in Tier two, he got one Tier one vote, thirty four Tier two votes, and fifteen Tier three votes.
Speaker 2: What do you think the.
Speaker 6: League wide perspective is on brock Party going into year six.
Speaker 7: I think he's really established himself as an upper tier quarterback who is probably not going to go, you know, into Tier one unless he were to really put it on his back and maybe do some things physically that you know, it is harder to do. But all the comments on him are pretty much positive. I think he's just he's had a career high number in this thing. Is votes for the best they've ever been. I don't but I don't think anyone's saying he's necessarily going to go to a one. I think still people still do give some credit. I think rightfully so to Kyle Shanan, who does a great job with the offense. But shoot, this is not a bad place to be. He's tied for eleventh with what is he tied with? Killer Williams? I believe m And you know you'd probably if I had to go with the next five games, I'd probably take Rock Purty, you know. Just he's going to play four good games and I don't know how many Kleb Williams is going to play. He might play one, he might play five. Right, He's a little all over the place probably still, But I think for the long term, you could see that Caleb Williams may pass him just on the talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, Caleb's probably needs a little more evidence. The pull quote you guys have on Brock it's pretty flattering. It's from a defensive coach. It says stronger than you think, faster than you think, better than you think, almost like a six million dollar man type of compliment there.
Speaker 7: It shows you guys were right all the time, because that's what you were saying five years ago or three years ago when people trying to put him in Tier three. He's he's stronger than you think.
Speaker 5: He's faster.
Speaker 7: He's better than you think, right, and now people.
Speaker 2: Agree it's his mobility that goes there too.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Mike Sando here, and you know, guys who moved up a tier are catching our eyes, guys, And these are guys who Marcus and I sort of disagreed on he had.
Speaker 2: You had Caleb in there, right, yep, and I did not. And then I had Drake may and you did not. No, I did not.
Speaker 3: So what do you think the league? Those two young guys. One guy went to a super Bowl, the other guy didn't. But these two guys are kind of the with a bullet, aren't they? Drake may and Caleb Williams.
Speaker 5: They are.
Speaker 7: You know, I thought that there might be even more excitement around Drake Mayham. He just went to the super Bowl and all of that. I think it was solid excitement, But it wasn't like, oh, this guy's a one, you know. I think people still people feel good about him. They feel really good about him. So it'll be interesting to see. You know, some people may think he can go become a one. I think more people probably think Caleb Williams physically could become a one. I just don't know if the consistency. The consistency's going to be there with him. He is such a hold the ball player, and for that matter, Drake may takes a ton of sex, but it's hard to be consistent when you're using your legs all the time. And so that could be something to watch for both those guys, but especially Caleb.
Speaker 6: Jordan Love is a man that has ranked one spot ahead of Brock Party in these tier rankings at number ten overall. Now, I did have him as a top ten quarterback, one spot behind Brock Party at number nine in my rankings. But Mike, what do you think the maybe difference is between a Jordan Love and a Brock Party. Is there a thought that maybe Jordan Love has a higher ceiling with his athleticism or why do you think he's one spot ahead.
Speaker 7: Of Brock How much this draft day still matter?
Speaker 5: Yeah, good wees.
Speaker 7: I do think that there's some of that. I do think, And look, there's a reason why guys go in the first round physically, you know, there's a difference between the two and it could be that simple. But certainly the production of rock Party has been probably more consistent for a longer period of time, you know, is there a huge difference between ten and tied for eleventh. Not really, I mean they're super close to each other. But again, that could be one where people think that love has a chance to go higher.
Speaker 3: Mike Sander's voice you hear from the Athletic and see him on our zoom too on a YouTube here he dropped the quarterback tears column, which as has gone through the years, has prettier and prettier graphics. By the way, with it, this is the one that forty nine ers fans love to hate. Dak Prescott and Marcus didn't even put him in his top ten.
Speaker 2: I think it was out of spite. I sure did. He went up five spots at this point in his career. Huh, getting that much better? Tell us about what the Lake said.
Speaker 7: That's probably my biggest surprise in the whole thing. I mean, you could always lock him in at ten or twelve something like that, and he's good, and then it doesn't happen in the playoffs, and you know, you can debate was their defense as Jerry Jones, you know, but he just hadn't done it. You've been around that long and haven't made a bigger dent in the playoffs. I think a certain the patience kind of runs out on you, and I think that's happened with some with with Justin Herbert over a much shorter period of time, and they're up big on Jacksonville, he blows, they blow the game. So I was a little bit surprised that he enched up. Now when you really look at how he played last year, A lot of great players around him. Yeah, and hold him back, Mike, hold him back in this thing. Yeah, he really shot up.
Speaker 2: Mike gets funny.
Speaker 6: We just had our good friend Matt Mayoko on the show just the other week and we were talking about these rankings, and he said, Dak Prescott might be the most overrated and the most underrated quarterback in the NFL. Do you think that's it's kind of due to the cowboy fatigue we hear so much about each and every day.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 7: I think that's some of it.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 7: And then this the gap between you know, when he's healthy is regular season production is really good and they haven't done anything in the playoffs, and you know, last year, I'm not going to blame him for that because their defense was horrible, but there's always something right. And I think over a long enough period of time, you would expect there to be some better team results.
Speaker 3: There's some interesting a lot of local. All politics is local, and all quarterbacks are local. Jared Goff, he grew up in Marine County. I went to Marine Catholic High School in Nevado, California, President Resident, and then of course played at cal Berkeley. He's still despite the lines taking a little bit of a step back since their NFC Championship appearance, still top tied for eighth. What was the feeling on goth because there are some people that would knock him Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think that he's fully recovered though from the Sean McVay rejection, right. I mean, I think that hurt him and he was a little bit of a low there, the fact that he you know, there's nothing he does with us like magic with his legs or you know, he really does need it needed to be pretty good around him. But when it is good around him, he is really really good and great decision maker with the football. I talk to people that you know, had had seen him in person and came away more impressed because you can kind of see running of the whole operation. That's really what people see of Dak Prescott, the guy runs the whole thing, and it's hard to find. So many of these quarterbacks are you know, you can debate that they're a product of the system or somebody propping them up, but there are guys doing all this stuff at the line of scrimmage. And if you're super talented doing that, you're Stafford and you're in the top tier. But I think a couple of these guys, like goth and even Prescott are benefiting from the fact that's not really the trend in the league with guys coming out of college.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: And so there's an appreciation for the guy who is up their line of scrimmage and really in charge of the thing, as opposed to being more of a product of it.
Speaker 6: Mike, last question for me circling back to the forty nine ers offense and brought party last year. Obviously, injuries were a big concern. They've got George Kittle recovering from an achilles injury. Ricky Piersol is now out for the season with the PCL surgery. Mike Evans, Dejon Stribb, and Christian Christian Kirk are dealing with minor injuries in camp right now. They just brought back Tebo Samuel. So that's a long way of me asking you, where do you think the forty nine Ers offense is going to be this year? Where brock party In the addition of Mike Evans.
Speaker 7: I'm worried a lot of people really applauded that move to get him, but he missed a bunch of the year last year. I think the the odds are the Bucks you know, got out. Probably they didn't get out a year too late, right, They probably got out on time. And so uh, you know, I was already worried about Christian McCaffrey because the other two times the league in touches he had injuries the next year. So now he's obviously older than he was then, And you know, are we taking him for granted right where all the focuses on the wide receivers. But yeah, Kittle coming off of the injury. Evans, who probably even if he isn't missing time right now, I tell you he's going to miss games this year. Pearsall now is out. I'm definitely worried, and I'm sure forty nine Er fans are too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good stuff, Mike. And last one for me is non Niners. It's Jalen Hurts. This guy won a Super Bowl, Super Bowl MVP. I'm correct, isn't he super Yeah?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, he's quite great in Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: Guy has declined eight spots, like plummeting from number nine down to number seventeen. Man talk about the quote, the poll quote you guys have is his best plays are off schedule. This is a defensive coach. It will become less sustainable as he gets older. So the knock is that he's just a he's an off schedule guy who as aged, who.
Speaker 7: Has had those monster super Bowls. You can't take it away away from him. You don't feel like that's what got him there, right, the great offensive line, what do they had Sae Kwon berk he or not? You know, a really good defense this last year. People just feel like, if you can make him throw the ball a lot, he can't execute all of the throws the rock perty can even in an offense just boom boom, boom, boom boom. It's got to be you know, the slant or the go ball. And he was able to hit those in the Super Bowl and make huge plays over the top of the heads of the Chiefs but do you feel like he's a consistent driver of your offense, especially if it were to fall off around him, which it has a little bit. Nobody really thinks that, And I don't know. Do you think that they're eager to sign him to a raise with a big extension you beat?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, interesting text interesting texts. We'll see what happens in Philly for sure. Well, listen, there's so much to go through. We didn't even get to number thirty five, Sudor Sanders.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to him. Where's my guy Fernando on that list?
Speaker 3: Well, you know who's number twenty eight? Is twenty eight, so kind of down down there in the weeds there. Buddy Marcus is a Raiders fan. Mike, it's great, it's awesome. It's pretty to look at, it's fun, it's easy to access.
Speaker 2: In the Athletic.
Speaker 3: Everybody go check out the quarterback tiers by Mike Sando. Thanks for hopping on and cleaning up for us. We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, Mike.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, let's do it again during the season.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Mike Sandal, good stuff from the Athletic. Well, listen, Brock is climbing. He's up there, man, Jalen Hurst gets not a ton of love.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, his game's kind of dropped off a little bit, and they've been losing some pieces.
Speaker 3: And the guy I wanted to get into my top ten just I was trying to find a way wound up fourteenth.
Speaker 2: And that's Baker Mayfield. Baker. The pull quote they have on him is streakiest player in the league. Yeah, Baker is a baller. When he's on, he's on.
Speaker 6: But yeah, there are times where a Baker does not look like a top ten quarterback.
Speaker 2: And then of course you go, what did I rank nineteenth? Oh man, let's shut you. That's what the media was said. I'm gonna I'm gonna plead the fifth on that one. Murphy who put me nineteenth?
Speaker 6: Doctor must have been a usp it been, must have been the main must have been Tony must have been.
Speaker 2: Listen. We wish him well with this family reconciliation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, back to the reaction to the Giants trade deadline. Uh man, oh man, I can't believe it. Some people angry about the Louis Rise trade. At least couple of people in my orbit, not me. We'll get into it ataway. Cambiar Is the phone number. Ramos is a Yankee, Arise as a Philly Robbie Ray is a Padre. Eric Miller is a Red Sox Etaway cambiar is the phone number.
Speaker 2: How'd they do?
Speaker 3: Stack up the calls on the Esports Leader kmb RB Sports Leader