Speaker 1: Now back to murphin marketings on the Sports Leader, streaming live on vsports Leader dot com at knbr V Sports Leader App.
Speaker 2: Forty nine or Football Let's Go. David Lombardi covers this team comprehensively for the San Francisco Standard and he is on the UMA guest line Dave our first kind of camp hit with murphin Marcus.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up? David? I'm doing great. How are you guys doing?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm settling back in here into the city for the season. And I think that the dog days of Trent were over because the first practice against somebody else has come, and now tomorrow we finally have a game. So the toughest stretches behind us, and it's really starting to feel real.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of the first chapter ending and now we go into the game starting tomorrow against the Titans. Chapter two and then eventually leading to the opener September tenth in Australia. So, David, if you had to kind of write the theme piece, you know, so you're that your teacher says, right, what's it?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 3: This summer will be the.
Speaker 2: Theme from July twenty seventh to now and is it injuries?
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny because obviously the Ricky Piersall situation was a gut punch, but that was an injury that he suffered last year is just something that has never fully healed. And I think that because last year especially was so so difficult with the injuries for the forty nine ers, I think there's this PTSD and I think that the media and social media is really ready to hop on it, so even guys that they're holding out for precautionary reasons, now it turns into a national story. There's the whole substation thing going on. I think that the injuries are actually overblown this year for the forty nine ers so far, and you can knock on wood, you can hope that they stay overblown, because obviously things can go further south in a hurry. So I don't think objectively that's the main story of Fort Anders' training camp.
Speaker 3: If it had been, they wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Have even conducted the joint practice with the Titans. When they start canceling joint practices like they did in twenty twenty four, when they're supposed to have one with the Saints and they didn't have enough healthy guys to confidently get through one. Then I think you could seriously have that conversation. But for now, I think that the you know, obviously they do have an older offense, guys like Mike Evans and Christian McCaffrey. You have to believe that they're going to be ready for week one. They're managing them to ensure that they're going to be ready for when the games count. I think so far, the overarching two themes for the forty nine Ers have been how good Brock Purdy has looked at camp on the offensive side, and that's really really important for that offense to be elite, and the forty anders are going to need it to be the lucomotive that pulls the train. And two, what Raheem Morris is doing to the defense, because his resume has stops at many different types of scheme. Right, He's run four down front, five down front, four three three four, all this stuff, and.
Speaker 3: He's majored in secondary coaching.
Speaker 4: He's a dB guy, and he has brought the changes that we thought that he would bring based on his resume to this forty nine Ers defense. And he's creating this hybrid scheme that I think is going to be fascinating the track over the course of this season.
Speaker 5: David, You're right to your point. There's been a lot of talk to this offseason about that change from Robert solid to Raheem Moore. So with both of them being on the field yesterday for the joint practices, were you able to notice some of those differences, maybe different styles and schemes that Raheem's going to go with this season.
Speaker 4: There was one play that really stood out to me. I was standing five yards away from it. You know, sometimes you're really far away to join practices, sometimes things.
Speaker 3: Developed right in front of you.
Speaker 4: And it was Will Levis, one of the backup Titans quarterbacks, was rolling to his left and Jaden Dugger and Larry Wirth, through two forty ers rookie linebackers, were pressuring him and sprinting out toward the sideline to cut off his throwing vision on the rollout, and between those two guys there's almost fourteen.
Speaker 3: Feet of combined wingspan.
Speaker 4: Jaden Dougger has a seven foot wingspan. Larry Worth is not too far behind him, and they both had their arms outstretched up and Will Levis could not see over both of these defenders, two extremely unusually tall linebackers. I'd be yet to actually find a linebacker in NFL history like a stack linebacker with a seven foot wingspan other than Jayden Dugger. Normally, those guys are going to play edge rusher, and he's gonna play some edge for the forty nine ers as well, But they are very, very insistent on this hybridized defense where the guys in the front seven are playing in multiple different spots.
Speaker 3: And Morris is huge on length. I mean, he wants length.
Speaker 4: To clog passing lanes, to do what we saw Worth and Dugger do yesterday to Will Levis just completely choke off and any vision to where he might want to throw the football, and then Levis just had to throw the ball away and Larry Wirth was fired up and it was right next to me, so it just kind of, you know, was imprinted on my mind. Oh, this is what Raheem Morris wants from this defense. He wants extreme length and extreme adaptability. Because we have seen a practice where Jaden Dugger even worked with the defensive ends and I'm sure that he's going to be rushing to passer from that position, but he's also going to be playing that linebacker position for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Interesting stuff to see Raheem Morris as he uses these pieces here, and yeah, jade and Dugger a linebacker rookie, he's getting some buzz here. Speaking of another rookie, I want to ask you about Romelo height in the pass rush. You know, listen, we talked about earlier in the shows. Last year's pass rush just one of the worst they've had in the Shanahan era, if not the worst. Nick Bosa is week to week with tendonitis. I don't know the key on white situation. Maybe you could fill me in. We know Diggy Zoo was a big ad we hope for Alfred Collins and CJ. West, But is Romelo height as a result because of their need for pass rush and because how he's flashing going to be a guy who plays this year and gets reps in sort of the corolary is how you're feeling about the past rush in general on August twelve.
Speaker 4: Well, so it's really interesting because he falls into a similar bucket Romelo Hyde as the other two guys that I was talking about, as Jaden Dugger and Larry Worth. Now they call it the feverback position. That's that's the new that's the new terminology. And kJ Wright, the linebacker's coach, explain that it's because fever means you're sick and you have to be a football sicko to play the position because you've got to learn a bunch of different spots. Some of the feverback candidates are going to be more linebacker rooted, like a Jaden Dugger or Larry Worth. Some of the feverback candidates like a Romelo Height are going to be more.
Speaker 3: Edge rusher rooted.
Speaker 4: So it's whatever position is more of your home base, that that's where you're rooted. So Ramelo Height is more of an edge rusher, but he's also the lightest edge rusher the forty nine Ers have had in these ten years under Shanahan and Lynch.
Speaker 3: He's under two hundred and forty pounds.
Speaker 4: He he is extremely quick off the ball, but even in college he executed several coverage drops and Chris Caserk says that he eats a lot of grass with his strides because he's he's very very quick and has long strides as well, with I think six to four heights. So Romelo Height has been very intriguing in a similar way that he can execute the adaptable defense that Raheem Morris is going to want to implement with the forty nine ers. But he definitely is the most polished pass rusher out of that trio of guys that I've talked about. Why one concern with the Romelo height and this is going to remind you guys a little bit of d Ford. And I know there have been comparison to the d Ford with the getoff, but he has jumped off sides.
Speaker 3: A lot in practice and.
Speaker 4: One on one during team drills, and it's obvious why his biggest comparative advantages is get off.
Speaker 3: So he wants to maximize that.
Speaker 4: But because he's a little bit lighter, he can't afford to get swallowed up by a tackle, so he has to have that initial step and it's led to him jumping off sides quite a bit. The forty Anders are trying to work on that, and he's trying to work on that. He might be more effective in home games and in games of the forty nine ers have a big, big crowd advantage, which is a lot of road games too, because with that noise, he's going to be able to better time up snap counts, and that first step if he gets it off on time not too early, is looks really really lethal. But he's going to have to learn how to deal with NFL hard counts and all that, so he's not jumping off sides.
Speaker 5: David, the rookie that has gotten the most headlines of offseason is days on stripling. What can you tell us about his connection with Brock Purty throughout camp and how he looked yesterday against the Titans.
Speaker 3: I mean, he might be.
Speaker 4: The best receiver in the class guy as yesterday he clearly looked better than Carnel Tait, who was the top pick of the class, but he had the benefit of a party throwing to him. And Purdy's been on fire this training camp, so it's hard to make that comparison when the situations are different. But if you just look at the large picture of work and I go back to college too. For Dejon Stribbling, he played in three different systems, succeeded in all three. Showed at Oklahoma State that he could run the intermediates and could separate on just some of the garden variety routes ten to twenty yards down the field showed an old miss that he could run the go balls and could catch the screen and run away from four to four corners that played for Georgia. I mean you put on the highlight tape there's a catch and run touchdown where Stribling runs away from a corner who was drafted, who ran a four to four to zero at the combine. So he's got legit four to three speed when the pads are on. And then you look at him now performing in camp and you see the size, you see the six to three heigh, you see the muscle he's separating. He could generate separation outside of the scheme. You know, him and Mike Evans are the two guys that Piersoll was able to do that. But he's hurt now, so he could really beat man coverage. And more important than anything is the fact that he catches everything that's thrown his way.
Speaker 3: He only dropped one pass.
Speaker 4: Last year at Ole Miss. He hasn't dropped anything yet over the course of training camp and another day, Leonard Hankerson, the receivers coach, he just mentioned that one thing that sold the fort andres on daj On Stribbling was that he would not back down from trying to cross sift block Rubin Bain, an edge rusher defensive end who went number fifteen overall to Tampa Bay who's about forty to fifty pounds heavier than him in college. And apparently the fort Anders fell in love with Dribbling when they saw that toughness because it showed them that he can run block in their system, and two showed them that this guy could probably run over the middle of the field and hold on to the football because he has the guts to try to get in there and block somebody who's fifty pounds heavier than him.
Speaker 3: And all of the things that.
Speaker 4: They kind of scouted have showed up on the field so far. So now we have to see it carry over the games. But every indication is that he's the real deal at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's having a great camp for sure. He were talking to David Lombardi at the s F Standard, who curse covers the fort Nars comprehensively read him at s F standard dot com. There's so many different things we can ask you about, but just in the final few minutes here, just look at the running back depth chart, because obviously we know about Christian McCaffrey, and I don't know if you feel about him being held out, if that's okay, if you know he's he's sent Ferrari Maserati. We're so sensitive to his every tweak, but behind him, you know, we were so excited about Kaylon Black the first few days of camp. I don't know what his status is. You know, Jordan James, at the end of last year, there was a hope that he would flash, but he has that rib thing, So just tell him to fill us in a little bit on the running back depth chart situation, you know for the next four weeks.
Speaker 4: Well, you mentioned earlier Kean White, he actually has a similar injury. It's an a doctor. It's a core muscle injury as Kaylon Black. So based on my understanding that that'll take a few weeks, it's already been a little bit of time for both of those players. So they I think they hope that to have him by week one, although I haven't fully.
Speaker 3: Confirmed that yet.
Speaker 4: And Jordan James, I would expect back by by week one, probably even earlier. For sure, that's a fractured rib, so a little bit more straightforward than the aductor injury. Those are tough injuries for the forty nine ERDs. They were running with only three running backs for the joint practice yesterday. Kalil Herbert actually had a couple nice cuts and runs. And they've got Patrick Taylor Junior, who has been in the system here for a couple of years now, and Sincere McCormick, who's been a practice squad running back for the team. I wouldn't worry about McCaffrey. I think that they're more than happy with the work that he's already put in, and then he's going to be ready to go for Week one based on what he's already done. Timing wise with the offense. Now, it's a matter of management for McCaffrey. Think that the plan proved to be really good for him last year. He was able to give him four hundred and thirteen touches and he has looked even more explosive than last year. And I think it's because he's got a year removed from the Achilles tendonitis in twenty twenty four, So even though he's gotten older, he's further away from the really troublesome injury in twenty twenty four, and I would expect Christian McCaffrey to have a big year, but you do need to manage it right.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 4: They've talked about the importance of that, which is why they have Jordan James, why they have Kaylon Black, and they're gonna be opportunities for.
Speaker 3: Both of those guys. The key is to get healthy, get back.
Speaker 4: And one thing Klay Kubiak said the other day that really resonated with me and said, you know, guys get hurt in the league. The pros are able to be ready regardless. The pros are doing the film study behind the scenes, are taking mental reps and yeah, maybe it will take him a week to knock off the rust. But if Kaylon Black is who the forty Anders think he is, even though he misses some of this training camp, they think that he could still be a big positive contributor for this team once he is back from the doctor injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to see him, so Dave listening to this, Given how you know Fortynards are not planning to play a whole lot of stuff if any tomorrow night against the Titans, what should a fort NFL fan look for Tomorrow night?
Speaker 4: Well, last year they didn't play their starters in the first preseason game.
Speaker 3: They never do with Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 4: They usually wait until the second game to play the starters for a couple series, and then the third game to play them for a quarter.
Speaker 3: Or maybe even a half.
Speaker 4: But last year they played the Broncos, and the Broncos put their starters out there and the forty nine Ers ran there essentially a second team defense, which was a ton of youngsters, especially last year. And I don't know if you guys remember, but the first two drives where that was the matchup Broncos won versus forty nine Ers rookies, the forty nine Ers dominated Denver. Like Denver, I don't don't even know if they picked up a first down. The Denver media was freaking out, and I thought that was a really, really good indication of things are gonna go well for the forty nine ers this year if they can stay healthy, and obviously they didn't, but the youngsters for the forty nine Ers in that first preseason game actually ended up playing really well early in the season before all they happened and then they lost their leaders and Bosa and Warners, So this might actually be a little bit more of a measuring stick for the forty and ers depths, and then people want to give it credit for because they do get to play the first unit of an opposing team. The Titans are going to play everybody. I know it's a young team, but they did add quite a bit of talent this offseason. I really like Robert sala as a coach, and I think it should be a really interesting test for some of the younger guys like a Jaden Douger, like Larry Wirth, you know that we were talking about, and if they can have similar success to what they did last year in Denver for those first two possessions, that'd be a big arrow up for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 3: Good stuff, man, it's that time.
Speaker 2: We're finally ready to see those those guys in uniform on the field tomorrow and then on we go. So thanks for the time, love the coverage in the s F Standard, and we'll chase you down the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks David, Yeah, thank you. Guys.
Speaker 2: Have a good day, Yeah, David Lombardi, good connection too with the Lombardi solid connection. Yeah, I mean listen, you know he's listen, Niners. There's some good stuff going on, and you know, the more we talk about this, this Raheem Morris dB connection. Maybe we'll see it flourish a little bit. Maybe we will. Jaden Duggar, Romello Height, get to know these names. The fever back, feverback. I'm already thinking a bit. Yeah, already thinking about obviously, Peggy Lee fever.
Speaker 3: Is that where I went?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course that's where this old guy went. Come on, that's a jam. Now that's a jam. Let's get the snap going. Okay, Cooler context, there's a lot of that. Yeah, there's a lot of ways we can go. Saturday Night fever, Sunday after fever, Levi Stadium, fever, melting in the Sun of Santa Clara, fever, all that happened. Okay, Cooler Content's got some great stuff. You guys see the White Sox hilarious promo last night. Other things. What use we got we got? You sent Adam Schefter said something interesting, Yeah, Schefter heads all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 5: Some stories about Pooka Nakoula.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we'll get to it today, but I sent in some McConaughey thing on beef that I just need your take on it. I don't know if it's today or later this week, but either way, the cooler always giveth On the Sports Leader
Speaker 1: K n b RB Sports Leader