Speaker 1: Beaking up in old casts.
Speaker 2: For those that done the red cast, it's.
Speaker 3: The John Phillip Show.
Speaker 4: And we continue at two oh five in the afternoon on The John Phillip Show. Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 5: Only you would send me ideas of stuff you need me to do thirty seconds before we go on the air. Now I have to figure out while you do your interview, how to get a picture of Rosy O'Donnell on the screen.
Speaker 4: I'll do my best, Okay, she was dressed in such an outrageous way you almost have to see it to really fully understand it.
Speaker 2: Am I right, it's pretty great.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I've mentioned this to you a thousand times, but I'll mention it in one thousand or one times. It's easier when you send me an email, because when you text it to me, then I have to email it to myself so then I can get it on the computer, so then I can put it on the screen.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is jellphone number one. Eight hundred two two two five two two two.
Speaker 5: There's a big work differential in this relationship. I just want everyone to know this.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Borrow a line from the California Energy Commission. You watch your tone. Here, here's the picture that Johnny wanted to show everybody.
Speaker 2: Now, what do you make of that fashion choice?
Speaker 5: Well, isn't she doing like a whole throwback to her old talk show from the nineties. She says she's got all the little cushi's, the little dolls on the desk.
Speaker 4: I don't know. She kind of looks like a lesbian. Hank Williams to me, Hey, whatever works for you. I'm sure there's a market for that. All right, it is our pleasure. Welcome our next guest to the broker.
Speaker 6: Can you guys hear me? You know I'm a lute eye. John Did I get the mic right?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, I can hear you. Just fine. It's Bill Schultz. Everyone you can follow out exit Bill Schulz. Bill, Hello, thanks.
Speaker 1: For having me, buddy.
Speaker 6: You know, we have known each other for way too long, and I was listening today and it was a great show. But I have to tell you, and if memory serves, you're like third fourth.
Speaker 1: Generation Los Angelean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I have never heard you hate your city more than you currently do, well, which.
Speaker 1: I get again. I was there recently, and it's weird.
Speaker 6: It's like, it's like it's like the future, because you know, New York doesn't have like way Mos or driverless cars. So I was with my buddy Drew, who's a big fan of yours, by the way, you met them way back in the day, and I'm taking pictures of these little delivery robots and driverless cars because we're not any of that in New York.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I'm in the Jetsons.
Speaker 6: But then the next block over there's a guy defecating on himself and then trying to throw it at me.
Speaker 1: So it's a yate and a yen.
Speaker 2: Was it a shock to your system?
Speaker 4: Because not that long ago it used to be a really fun place to live, a fun place to visit. And I feel like whenever I talk to someone who hasn't been here in a while and they show up and they see the condition of the city, they're like, what the hell happened to you?
Speaker 1: It is so true.
Speaker 6: Drew Lerner lives and has always lived in downtown LA. People actually do live there locals, and it was, as you know better than anyone, it was having a bit of a renaissance. I don't know, I want to say, like a decade ago or something like new things were happening and Disney plays all that stuff. And now when I visit him and I, of course, because Billy's on a budget, I crashed his couch and I'm there and uh, it's it's the scene in the movie in the in the video music video.
Speaker 1: Thriller at about eight at night, and that has changed for me.
Speaker 4: But well, thank you so much for stopping by. It's been too long, and uh, yeah, we're so so happy to have you. So you have a new project that you're working on. I want to talk about that and it it it. I think it's a great thing in the sense that it teaches people when one door closes, another door opens up, and that's kind of what you experienced.
Speaker 6: Well, my autobiography should be all closed doors, so you know, you got to make your own door. Yeah, the I was I saw the future at Emerson College and I realized it's pret journalism. And I've been as that smart ever but as the U and you know, I've had some experience in broadcasts as well. But as the gigs have slowly I can't believe I said slowly, as the gigs have quickly dried up. You know, you've got to supplement the income. And I have no discernible skills, but I'm an okay researcher and I do like some New York history. And so about two years ago I got my New York Tour Guides license because it's New York.
Speaker 1: They need a license for goddamn everything.
Speaker 6: And so I was doing it walking tours with these great you might have heard of them because they're starting to get popular in LA too, but they're called the Bowery Boys, and they do this great podcast starting in two thousand and seven before people even knew podcast or about all things in New York history. And they don't do the Wikipedia, and they certainly don't do the AI. They do really great, hardcore research on all these fun little things about New York you never thought you never knew and never thought you'd want to know. And they got really big, and they got they started doing sellout shows throughout the city, and so from them, the next logical step after some successful books was to do walking tours. And I used to use them as sources because I was just a fan in my stories, and I used to do a really successful with the teen's column for The New York Times about New York museums. The meeting reader age for my columns was about sixty five to dead. But I would use them as sources all the time, and to the point where my editor said, you got to stop using the Bowery Boys as your source.
Speaker 1: But I think that helps.
Speaker 6: But I finally just pitched them my neighborhood, which is East Midtown or is The locals call it Turtle Bid and nobody does tours here and it's a very cool looks boring, but it's certainly not area of Manhattan. And I was doing it with them for two years, but it wasn't enough. It was there was not enough gigs I get, they would get. They would give me what they could, but it would be like maybe three four times a month. Freelance wasn't helping. And so I have And by the way, thank you for this unsolicited plug. I certainly didn't email this. I love you.
Speaker 1: But so I just started with this asshole of a boss.
Speaker 2: We'll use that.
Speaker 6: Oh sorry, I can't wear this a hole of a boss. That's my fault. But my dad, George Schultz, and so we're doing this. It's called flying Dutchman Tours dot com. Uh and uh So now I'm available six days a week. It starts at eleven and then there's another tour at three. But I'm available for private tours and we'll dress up in costumes depending on the price.
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting that you say that, because you talk about experiencing the history of an area through bars and food and those sorts of things, and that's really how we experience a community. That's really when you think about an area that you like, whether it's the area that you live in or an area that you visit, so much of that is done through food and drink.
Speaker 2: That when a neighborhood. And this is why.
Speaker 4: Part of the reason why I think that the COVID lockdowns were so awful, Oh yeah, is it caused so many restaurants and bars to go under and so many places in Los Angeles and San Francisco in particular that I loved for years and years and years and then we just shut them down and they go away, and you go, well, it's not just losing a restaurant, it's not just losing a bar. You're losing your history. You're losing fun parts of the city that people remember and enjoy.
Speaker 6: Oh, a good example of that, which is kind of in the neighborhood, not on the tour, but it's a little further away from Turtle Bay.
Speaker 1: But have you ever been to the twenty one Club in New York?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I have. I went with Tammy Bruce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I love her. She used to be on Red Eye too.
Speaker 6: You know, it's been closed down since COVID and they keep saying that somehow it's going to come back.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 6: And that was a staple, a historical staple, not only New York nightlife, but the stories, the history of that place is unparalleled.
Speaker 1: And it's collecting mothballs as.
Speaker 6: We speak, and that is one of many to your point in this neck of the woods that is dealing with the exact same thing. And and also too, But like I wonder about this how it is with you guys, because you know, we actually have seasons here and when COVID was at it's worst, but as crappy as the local government is, they were relatively good about.
Speaker 1: Opening places just so they could make some money.
Speaker 6: But of course it was all outside and so all like public drinking. Well, we kind of became New Orleans for a little bit. Public public drinking, open beverage right was no longer illegal. Every single bar did take takeout drinks in plastic cups, and everyone just lived outside, and they also allowed because of all the bureaucracy in New York, it was very hard to get outdoor seating at a bar. Uh. And they got rid of all of that, just for the breathing or whatever it was, and a lot of that has still kind of remained. I will say that they got rid of the open alcohol stuff, but so many bars are like, especially if they have cops as customers, they are like, now we're still doing it. And so as a good example, I this is the margarita I just brought home right before the show. But yeah, no one cares. But so they made allowances for that, but we still lost and continue to have just mothballs and places that you wouldn't think would have mouth mothballs. So many businesses, and I'm sure LA got destroyed, probably even more it did.
Speaker 4: And it also I think besides losing your history and losing what makes a neighborhood special, I think it also hits another nerve that drives people crazy, which is if you're a bar or you're a restaurant and you've been around a long time, you probably have rent that's something like, you know, four nickels and a button, and so you can charge much less for a drink or for a plate of food or whatever than many of your competitors because you just don't have that high rent. When those places go under, they're not replaced by other bars that will sell you a seven dollars drink or will sell you a twelve dollars hamburger. They're replaced by places that charge whatever it is that's the going rate for a drink. You pay twenty dollars instead of eight, or you pay you know, fifty dollars for an entree instead of seventeen. And it just causes the cost of living to go through the roof because those old amy places that could get away with reasonable prices are now wiped out by the wave.
Speaker 6: Choir preaching, and like so many family owned areas around here have just been replaced by chipolti chipolti my pronounce that correctly, I refuse to go or something of that equivalent. And it's heartbreaking and and again, like the other and I know you cover this a lot, but like you know, The other result of COVID was just it escalated something that was already happening, which is just working at home. And as a result, and I kind of felt it in La although I was surprised that it was as crowded as it was. But if you haven't been in New York in a while and you come now, you can see it, Like you know, it's there's less people, and so you're working from home, you're getting Amazon deliveries, and that home is either in New Jersey or.
Speaker 1: Connecticut, maybe Queensborough, Lynn.
Speaker 6: It's hard to afford, and you're certainly not coming to the city center to work anymore. And we've got it's almost like I'm worried that we're going to end up being like an expensive ghost town equivalent of Detroit, where it's.
Speaker 1: Just going to be all of these.
Speaker 6: Former places of business, gigantic edifices that are completely empty, and yeah, you notice it, and like, I hate people, so part of me likes that, But for the future of the city, which I'm invested in, it's not good.
Speaker 2: And it's something that's happening here.
Speaker 4: It's happening in Los Angeles, it's happening in San Francisco, where you have these downtown centers where people used to work, and they used to show up every day, and they used to go to lunch, and they used to get their coffee, and they used to stick around after work for a drink and all of those things. You work at home and your pajamas, you no longer have to do that. There's a fight going on right now in Sacramento between Galvin Newsom and the state workers because many of the state workers are now on work from home status and all the sandwich shops and Sacramento are going under, and the bars are going under, and the coffee places are going under. And he doesn't want the visual as he's getting ready to run for president of the city that he works in being a ghost town with tumbleweeds going down the street in the middle at five of a one pm on a Tuesday and all of the business is boarded up. He doesn't want that visual. So now he's trying to force them to back come back into the office.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 6: I don't I like, I don't want to say bounce back, particularly even this is a pretty high priced neighborhood that I live in in Turtle Bay, I may be here illegally edit that out, but but I mean, you know.
Speaker 1: There's still boarded up places, not.
Speaker 6: As much nearly as when COVID I guess pseudo ended, but also like our new development. It used to be just this area was all diplomats and old people. Our new development is a bunch of graffiti. Never had that the entire time I've lived here. I've lived in New York since ninety eight, here since two thousand and six. You never saw graffiti. It's an immaculate old people neighborhood, you know, with tiny dogs and tinier tipping diplomats.
Speaker 1: But now there's just graffiti everywhere.
Speaker 6: And again it's not at all remotely like you know, gosh, what's that famous area in downtown LA with skid Row. It's not like that, but it is so noticeably worse than I mean, I know you're coming in February.
Speaker 1: I don't know how often you come here, but you'll see a difference.
Speaker 2: Last thing before we go.
Speaker 4: You are a fixture in late night TV for years and years and years, and we've had so many conversations.
Speaker 2: About that world.
Speaker 4: Kimmel recently took some time off this week and had none other than Rosie O'Donnell, who self deported back to Ireland after President Trump was elected for the second time because she said she was in fear of her safety and in fear of the safety of her daughter. I guess she thought that Trump was going to throw on a goulug or something, and she came back and hosted Kimmel and went after Trump the whole time that she was she was hosting.
Speaker 2: Did you see that? What'd you think of it?
Speaker 6: I was just made aware of it right before this, and I just naturally assumed that you chose this because I have often been described as a skinnier version of Rosie o'donald, and I take.
Speaker 1: Offense to all of this.
Speaker 6: I either get skinnier version of Rosi o'donald or late in life, Billy Jean King. That is what my comparisons usually are physically.
Speaker 1: But I hadn't. I did not see the show. I every once in a while, I don't you.
Speaker 6: Might be like me where I'm still like I'm still like one of those old funny duddies that has cable. And the only way I'll ever even look at the antiquated thing that his talk shows anymore is if they have good guests. So just goet my little clicker and I'll go right past a Kimmel or a Fallon monologue, and if they've got a good guess, I'll watch that. And every once in a while Kimmel will have an interesting guest host and I'm like, oh, I want to see that.
Speaker 1: This is one that I would skip.
Speaker 6: But I will say this though, it just Katie highlights. I mean maybe low lights, but like, what was the story with the show?
Speaker 2: But she just attacked Trump the whole time, which of course is what you.
Speaker 4: Expect those where bread is buttered. But let's just take her out of the equation. One of the things that I wish the late night shows would do now that they used to do, especially when Carson was there and others, is whenever he was gone, there would be a guest host. It wasn't just a rerun. It was Joan Rivers or Jay Leno or Home and before that.
Speaker 6: David Letterman, David it was like his most regular guest host until he did Late Night.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I missed those days.
Speaker 1: Oh me too. And it was always so fun.
Speaker 6: It was like sort of like it was still the same old comfy blanket that you have. But there was like a little like kick in it. You know, there was a little there was a little kick in the old drink. But yeah, and it was all all those regulars. And then you know, famously Joan Rivers might have been at some point more on than Jay Leno. But then they never spoke again because Joan Rivers and I think that thing lasted for about three months. She got her own talk show on this upcoming network called Fox and Johnny Carson And when you burned at Johnny carson Bridge, it is burned. You never talked to her again.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna have to leave it there. Bill.
Speaker 4: If people want more information about your new project, how can they find it?
Speaker 6: You are the best buddy, and you have a family and friends discount read you could do it for free for the tour, even though we'll be in February and your delicate la but we'll not be able to handle the weather.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 6: At the Flying Dutchman m e N tours dot com. And if you just do Flying Dutchmen, you're gonna get a cannabis site in Netherlands. And we did not do our research John on that one. So I have to be very careful that tours is in there as well. But yeah, I'm always available. We officially launch on when next Wednesday, and I'm certainly available for private tours. Nothing sallacious, nothing kinky, guys, come on, but yeah, thank you so much, buddy.
Speaker 4: All right, Bill Sheltz, everyone, thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 2: I miss you, miss you too.
Speaker 4: If you want to watch us live, go to Johnny don't Like dot com and right there, Randy you can participate the chat and click that like button.
Speaker 5: We're already over three hundred likes today. You guys are killing it.
Speaker 4: If you want to watch us live, go to Johnny don't Like dot com and click that like button. We're over three hundred. We have about twenty six minutes to go until the show is over. Let's see if we can get it up to four hundred. That would be fantastic. So if you haven't clicked that big thumbs up, please do it for us. It really helps push the show in front of as many eyeballs as possible.
Speaker 5: Just pop in for a minute, hit the like button, then go do whatever else you were doing. We'd love to have you join us, even for just a few minutes at Johnny don't like dot com and Randy we're gonna be going on the road soon. We're going to the Well. Now we're going to two different places. We're going to the Pineapple Hill on September fourth from noon to three for a big live broadcast with our friends for the Howard Jarvis Taxpay Association supporting Prop forty three. We're going to make sure you join us there Pineapple Hull in Sherman Oaks on Friday, September fourth from noon to three and date to be determined. Because we now hit five thousand subscribers on the channel, Johnny and I are going to go grab Mike Netder and do a podcast somewhere in the Tijuana River Valley.
Speaker 2: And well, we made our own bed with that one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think vix rubb under our nose that might help.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's something I don't know. I'm gonna have to play around on grock.
Speaker 3: You can smell it right here.
Speaker 4: And coming up after we finish today at three o'clock, Randy, we're going to debut the newest edition of The Accountability Podcast.
Speaker 5: The Accountability Podcast with John Phillips and Randy Wang are weekly celebration of the most useless word in the English.
Speaker 1: Language accountability, accountability, accountability.
Speaker 5: And this one focuses on the big corruption trial that is starting in Oakland in October, surrounding Shang.
Speaker 6: E Tow absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 5: And the Dong family and I don't know, maybe they're connections to one Babathy Bontata. We bring in Seneca Scott and Seneca Scott uncensored on a podcast is a site to behold.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: We have a clip of the show, but it's the only clip that we can air because it's the only clip that didn't have Seneca dropping an f bomb about the situation that's going on in Oakland. The show premiere is at three o'clock, right after we sign off here at Johnny don't like dot com, But Johnny, we've got a little amuz boosh for everybody.
Speaker 2: Shall we give them a taste.
Speaker 4: Let's take a look, and oh boy, is there a story unfolding in Oakland when it comes to the former mayor who you helped kick out office, Shank Taue and the dominoes that are falling right and left thanks to her indictment and her trial upcoming trial that the federal government is putting her up on. So let's go ahead and start with the trial and Shang Tau. Because shank Tau, as I mentioned, is the disgraced former mayor of Oakland. She's now looking at essentially the rest of her life in prison due to a corruption scandal that you helped uncover. She is now trying to get evidence in that case thrown out that she says is prejudicial to the defense. And a lot of that evidence that she's trying to get thrown out is, you know, regarded as as essentially salacious because we're talking about pictures and videos or politicians that may be engaged in activity that they wish they hadn't engaged in. So let's go ahead and start from the beginning. Shank Tau now standing trial and the dominoes are falling. What should we know about this trial and what should we know about what she's trying to do right now?
Speaker 7: Well that's a pretty expensive question, but let me key in, JOHNA. What you just said, they actually were successful the defense and getting tossed out, and what it looks like is that they came in with I don't know how much a treasure trove of evidence, let's say, seventeen hundred files or exhibits, and the judge knocked it down to five hundred exhibits and the majority of what the judge tossed out was ever, was videos and clips and footage from the Vietnam trip and the regions.
Speaker 2: You tossed that is.
Speaker 7: Because it could put other people who are not indicted or facing any prosecution, it could jeopardize among their careers, and it had no fundamental bearing on the corruption charger. This is according to the judge, right. And so what it looks like is they were trying to get the exhibits down to be able to have a file quickly, because the more exhibits that you have, the longer the trial goes, because once they are admitted into evidence, then they have to be you know, witnesses on both sides and then experts, etc. Et c. And so I think what's happening in what most people who are knowledgeable about law, is that the judge is cutting it down to what exactly needed to make your case, and we don't need all of this extra stuff just to show that Andrea was probably being hard or things like that. So it looked like all that in there is the Vietnam stuff. And remember this is about evolutionary homes. This is about pay for play, and Vietnam doesn't have much to do with that. According to the court.
Speaker 5: One of the things that Shang wanted to get thrown out was the situation where years ago she lied about Andre having a job with her sister's cannabis consulting company so they could get a lease for a house, and prosecutors wanted that because it shows a pattern of behavior. One of the things with the evolutionary home scam that was being run on the city of Oakland was her boyfriend Andre Jones was going to get a three hundred thousand dollars no show job, and they that was the way they would launder the money for all of the proceeds from these shipping containers. But they didn't want that to be shown. They thought they would be presidential towards her. But it seems like they got plenty of stuff to get her dead to rights anyway on this scam.
Speaker 7: Yes, that is correct. I also remember Andrea used to park himself at Shenthile's office. How do I know that he posted a picture of me? I thought I was burrating a local sautee journalist. I wanted to call him a journalist, a local sawty Hack and then he took a picture and said, here's Seneca yelling at this guy from Shinn's office, which is evidence that was he was there and surveilling someone on city time and city property. But here's something I thought of the other day. Guys, here's something I thought of the other day. Where is our public ethics department in Oakland whose number one priority is government corruption? How come they found nothing about.
Speaker 2: Any of this.
Speaker 7: If the source of the information came from FBI, raised on city hall and elected officials. Remember Simon Russell where you may not know this, but Simon and Russell, the head of Open's Public Ethics Commissioner Department for several years, left abruptly right before shouldn't got what you called or right after. My memory is a little fuzzy on that one, but right around that time of the we call citing corruption as one of the reasons. But Simon Russell is the corrupt one. I can tell you because I have personally been persecuted and faced numerous charges, including an open public ethics investigation into the recall from two years ago that we were raising money illegally and it's still open. It never closed it, even though judges have called it unconstitutional. The amount of harassment we faced for our own public ethics commission. So where's any of these charges? Some of these people still work for the City of Oakland. I give you another one. Remember any evidence when they said that Andy Douon was on the phone with an open city council member and said, don't worry about the week call, will handle that.
Speaker 2: Who was that council member?
Speaker 7: I tell you who it was. It was Carol Fife.
Speaker 2: I had a feeling, Yeah, kel Fife.
Speaker 7: If I'm lying, sue me. It was cal Fife and you heard it. I'll say it three times. It was Carol Fife, who has gone around the city. But it lies in GOSIP about the week call. Who his name is mentioned twice in that leak memo calling black people token giving her instruction on what to do in order to facilitate that mission. Where's our public ethics department? If you have knowledge that a city contractor who still had the contract full waste solution, it's saying that they're going to do something to infringe on someone. First Amendment, right, you're post to go report that the public essays that a city vendors doing that probably CaCO and laughed and said, yeah, good. But guess what, it didn't work. They didn't stop that we called. No one ever approached me ever with any blobes or any office or any attempt to negotiate that we call because they knew.
Speaker 1: I'm not co OpEd.
Speaker 7: You can't buy me off. They didn't even t five because I would have put a cameo on I'm and said say that again, remember like us singing in woof of Watch Street. Well he was like that again, will slowly.
Speaker 2: For me, So there you go.
Speaker 4: Seneca Scott was on fire throughout that entire podcast that Randy was one of the more sedate sections, one of the more sedate portions of that interview because he was letting everyone have it. It was like a festivus reunion in that podcast.
Speaker 5: We highly recommend you watch the whole thing when it premieres at three pm in just fifteen minutes. But I will warn you if you are, you know, sitting in the car with your kids, Uh, maybe wait till the kids are out, because Seneca gets a little he gets a little animated and says some words that you don't usually get to say on the old radio station.
Speaker 4: And there is a lot of talk about Rob Bonta, the Attorney General of California, and why is it that it's an open secret that he is corrupt but nothing has happened Bob Bonta.
Speaker 5: Check it out Johnny don't Like dot Com. If you prefer to listen to it, search for the Accountability Podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: It premieres in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: If you want to watch us perform the show live, go to Johnny Don't Like dot Com and click that like button when you're there. It helps us put the show in front of as many eyeballs as possible, where I think forty something likes away from hitting four hundred.
Speaker 2: If you haven't hit the like button, please do that.
Speaker 4: We'd love to hit four hundred before we sign off today at three.
Speaker 5: And if you're just listening to the radio and you're not actively driving in traffic, just pop on the phone type in Johnny don't like dot Com, Give us a little watch, give us a little like. You'll have a good time.
Speaker 4: All right, It's now time to open up the California crime blodder.
Speaker 8: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 2: Nice see. Time for the California Crime Blodder and Randy.
Speaker 4: This edition takes us to Berkeley where a crazy squatter with a pipe tried to attack some contractors.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like fun. For more here is KTVU Fox two in the Bay.
Speaker 9: Three contractors working at a church across from the UC Berkeley campus were attacked by a man armed with a metal pipe.
Speaker 2: Just wait, there's video.
Speaker 9: That man is now under arrest and facing some serious charges. Ktvu's crime reporter Henry Lee is joining us down line from our newsroom with the detail on this case.
Speaker 5: Henry Henry Lee has the most job security of anybody in broadcast journalism as the crime reporter for the East Bay.
Speaker 8: Well Alex said, happened during a busy weekend as cow students were moving in Now. One of the victims took video of the man with the pipe as police were responding to the call. Caught on video a frightening encounter with an agitated man at a church near UC Berkeley.
Speaker 10: Exactly, gas, keep mine, keep mine, closing door, close the door.
Speaker 2: Holy cow. Yeah, I'd close that door and then I'd.
Speaker 8: Walk it all contractors who had just found him sleeping in the shuttered church. He also allegedly vandalized. One man's on the phone with nine one one.
Speaker 2: I was asleep. You were asleep in a place that you don't own, jackass. WHOA.
Speaker 4: I wonder how many iPhones he went through. Every time the alarm would go up in the morning, he just hit it with his fists, break the phone.
Speaker 8: He's up rushing at the video stops and that's when Berkeley police say the man used the five foot metal pipe he was carrying to attack the contractors, so they asked them.
Speaker 2: They didn't get that part on camera. I think he went Barry Bonds on him too.
Speaker 3: Person to leave and the person refused, after which they call the police, and that's when the suspect attack vote.
Speaker 8: Okay, it happened at Trinity.
Speaker 4: Could you roll the tape back for one second. Yes, this guy could be a character in any Amy Siddaris television show. He's a black police officer and his name is b Period White.
Speaker 3: Which they call the police and that's when the suspect attack vote.
Speaker 8: It happened at Trinity United Methodist Church near Bancroft Way and Dana Street at about ten forty five Saturday.
Speaker 10: More.
Speaker 8: I think the church closed years ago, but the contractors were working on the property. They realized someone had broken into the building and cost about twenty thousand dollars worth of damage.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, well that's why he was so tired.
Speaker 3: It also seemed to have like broken a lot of the electric equipment, speakers knocked over like a drum set smashed.
Speaker 8: A UC Berkeley campus police officer happened to be driving by and was flagged down by the victims. The suspect, twenty eight year old Donald Malone, was arrested after a struggle. He's been charged with three felony accounts of assault with the deadly weapon and vandalism.
Speaker 5: Of course, they could never get him for the squatting, but attacking people with the pipe that is a crime.
Speaker 4: Luckily, I guess they pick and choose which crimes they enforced there.
Speaker 8: The incident happened across from UC Berkeley's main gym, the Recreational Sports Facility, and on a busy weekend when col students were moving in Cyrus andaz is an incoming freshman.
Speaker 10: I feel like there's a fine line between you know, someone being homeless, sleeping on the street and being in a forged situation versus them actually, you know, doing something and posing as a threat and while also swinging at people.
Speaker 8: Now I've learned the defendant has a prior conviction for assault with a deadly weapon for attacking a security guard near Lake Merritt in Oakland. Because of his latest arrest in Berkeley, the Alameda County DA today filed a petition to revoke his probation.
Speaker 5: Of course, this guy once again already got busted on something. By the way, how much you want to bet that that original probation happened under the previous administration?
Speaker 4: White Frankly, Oh, Pammy Price's name is all over it.
Speaker 1: She called me a crime boss.
Speaker 5: Maybe we should get her on the podcast do a little collab. Well, she is a podcast host, that's all she is.
Speaker 8: For the newsroom, Henry Lee Katvu Box two News.
Speaker 9: All right, Henry, thank you for that.
Speaker 5: So there you go, the wild story of a squatter in Berkeley right next to cal attacking can instruction workers with a big old metal pipe because they told him you gots to go.
Speaker 2: This is not a house.
Speaker 4: What do you do if you're a contractor and you're just there to do I don't know whatever contractors do, and you have a crazy person with a pipe, who's threatening you and then goes off on.
Speaker 2: You, Well you probably run for the hills, that would be my guess.
Speaker 4: But you know, contractors have saws, contractors have equipment, they have sharp things, they have heavy things. Would you feel comfortable working on a house with your back to potentially this guy with a pipe.
Speaker 2: I would not.
Speaker 5: But even if you pick up that shovel and use it as self defense, you'll probably lose your license.
Speaker 2: I don't know. These people belong in institutions.
Speaker 5: And this guy was already picked up for something, of course, because we don't want to put anybody in prison on probation, and what do you know, still acting like a complete insane person.
Speaker 4: And at some point someone's going to get hurt. And by the way, we don't know the condition of the contractors. They got hit with a pipe, so maybe they are heard, I don't know. But they're playing with fire. They're playing with fire, because let me tell you, there are some people where if you have a crazy person threatening them with a pipe in their hand, they're not going to put up with it, and they may handle it in a way that you don't like. But what are you going to do when you have a crazy person with a pipe threatening to go off.
Speaker 5: That's what we've got today for the California Crime Blodder. And yes, I am actively looking for a security company to sponsor the crime blodder.
Speaker 4: Well, you certainly don't need a safe company.
Speaker 2: We would be terrible.
Speaker 5: It would be a terrible, terrible endorsement because we would have a safe company advertising the blotter and then thirty seconds into the segment, we would say that safes aren't safe. All right, if you're in the San Fernando Valley or in the Los Angeles area and you want to see us in person, Randy, you'll soon have an opportunity to do that. On Friday, September fourth, from noon to three, we're going to be at the Pineapple Hill Saloon and Grill for a big, old live broadcast celebrating PROP forty three. And if you can't make that one, on October ninth, we're going to be at Gladstone's in Long Beach to do the same thing. Lots of big events coming up in the month of September, so stick with us. We got lots of fun live events coming up, and we're currently actively brainstorming ideas on some kind of event to do for the Accountability Podcast.
Speaker 2: When we hit ten thousands subscribers, how how are we doing on likes.
Speaker 5: Let's see how we're doing at the end of the show, which you can still hit the like button after we get off the air, like if you get home later tonight. Three hundred and seventy eight. That's pretty darn good for a Wednesday. Thank y'all so much.
Speaker 2: All right, don't forget.
Speaker 4: The Accountability Podcast starts in moments, and we'll be back tomorrow at noon for another edition of The John Phillips Show.