Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio at the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: And now, here's Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: Joe really going heavy on the air guitar with that opening music.
Speaker 4: Even throw in a little Gene Simmons tongue. I hope you dug that.
Speaker 2: Ah!
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Your guitar.
Speaker 3: Gotta have a guitar face.
Speaker 4: You gotta be ready to rock.
Speaker 3: That's clearly true. Live from Studio C. C Senior. A dimly lit room deep within the bowels of the Armstrong and Getty communications compound. Today we're toiling under the title of the show.
Speaker 4: Grim Anniversary's Approach.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Or on a cheerier note. I'd like the economic war with a side of missiles, please. Back to shooting at the Iranians in various islands nobody had heard of before this conflict. We'll see how hot that gets.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if we brought it up last week, but the Pentagon announced we had cleared all the mines out of the Strait of Hormuz. And then yesterday, Iran thought, let's put some more mines back in there. And we said, no, you didn't. No, you ain't. And we blasted their mine launchers. They launch mines on rockets. I guess that's how you put mines in the street.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we blasted the hell out of them.
Speaker 4: These days, yeah. Yeah, I was surprised to hear that myself. I thought you kind of just went out in a boat and lowered them into the water or something. I assumed a boat was involved.
Speaker 3: My knowledge of underwater mines, though, is minimal at best. But, yes, we blasted them, and then they started shooting back at a variety of things, including our bases, which in the past, they've done some pretty serious damage to and killed people. What they did yesterday, I don't know. We're reporting we shot down all the rockets. We're not always honest about that, which is okay. We don't need to be honest about that, but just because we reported that none of the rockets got through or whatever doesn't mean that that's true.
Speaker 4: Correct. Yeah, I guess they really went after our bases in Jordan in particular. And there are a lot of thousands of our folks there.
Speaker 3: One of your other big stories, not important, but the nation is following. The Lindsay Clancy jury resumes deliberations today. So we'll have our eye on that if for some reason they come up with a fact that it's taking a long time. Does that mean anything to you? That lean push one direction or the other? I feel like that pushes further away from clearly guilty of flat out murder. Yeah, yeah, I've tried to follow the conventional wisdom on that through the years, especially after I served on a handful of juries, and gosh.
Speaker 4: It's just hard to say. As we discussed last week, it's a case with a bunch of kind of fuzzy concepts at play. It's not, was he the guy with the gun at the liquor store? It's very, very complicated in dealing with human psychology and that sort of thing in a way that's going to take a while to sort out. And it depends how many lunkheads are on the jury, too. You never hear this from legal analysts, but you will hear. It depends how many dopes, lunkheads, prejudiced people there are on the jury and how hard their arms have got to be twisted.
Speaker 3: Dopes and lunkheads.
Speaker 4: Sometimes literally.
Speaker 3: D's and L's. Dopes and lunkheads. You got to deal with them. Right. Everybody does in life. In fact, I've been talking to my youngest kid about that with school. You got to deal with dopes and lunkheads. It's part of part of the whole life experience.
Speaker 4: Oh, my. Yeah. Yeah. I remember giving the boss who's an idiot speech to one of my kids. I think it was my youngest. She was in a class. I won't say which at what level of school. It's unimportant because those people listen and I don't want to make it personal, but She said, essentially, this teacher's a dope, doesn't know what they're doing. Their standards are weird. Nobody can quite figure out what's happening. And my advice to her was do your level best and manage that person because that's the most important life skill you're going to pick up in this class by far. You will have an idiot professor. You will have an idiot boss, maybe more than one. And dealing with that, frustrating as it can be, man, that's a valuable life skill. So I know it's frustrating, but once in a while, remind yourself, I'm learning something very valuable here.
Speaker 3: You'll certainly have an idiot co-worker. I mean, that's guaranteed.
Speaker 4: Please, look around the room. You guys are looking right at me. Well, you're looking at me.
Speaker 3: Speaking of school and lunkheads, Wall Street Journal, of all places, With a long article trying to throw cold water on the cell phone ban in schools. And it's not really doing that much, which I just thought was ridiculous. And the way it was written was and like making conclusions that were just dumb to me. And so I want to talk about that later because I hate pushback against eliminating cell.
Speaker 4: Phones from school rooms, which is obviously a good idea. I'm astounded by that. I miss that. I want to hear it. I want to know who wrote it. I want to go to their home. I want to grab them and shake them.
Speaker 3: Well, part of it was. Part of it was that initially a lot of people were upset. Now, since then, some people have calmed down.
Speaker 4: It's like, what? Who cares?
Speaker 3: And then secondly, that test scores haven't gone up as much as people were hoping because that again, who cares?
Speaker 6: I mean, I'd like test scores to go up. It's got what difference does it make? You can't teach a kid when they're sitting there staring at their phone and it's disruptive. I don't even know why we're having this conversation. It's like they're smoking pot in the classroom. And, you know, two weeks into the new, you can't smoke pot in the classroom. You know, tests have only gone up by 8%. I'm not sure it's doing it.
Speaker 4: That's just idiotic. My God. I do want to go to their homes and shake them. We're keeping a live tiger in the studio. Live tiger's been in there for an hour and nobody's been bitten. It's not a good idea. Trust me. Oh my God. Anyway, it's a television set. You morons, you old, this is you older morons. You can't have kids have a TV set in the, well, of course you can't have a TV set in the classroom. That's what it is. Except it's hooked up to the best entertainment ever divided by mankind. My God, people, I think they.
Speaker 3: Were focusing on the LA school district. I don't remember which is a second biggest school district in America, but, um, uh, One part mentioned that you take away the phones, but in one class, a lot of kids were continuing to watch YouTube videos on their computers.
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: How in the world?
Speaker 3: If you know they're watching YouTube videos on your computer, how do we not have a world where the teacher can just close the computer and take it and say, you get it back after class or whatever? How is that not the world we live in? Well, we know why teachers unions and all kinds of crap around that. But that's insane that they're sitting there watching YouTube videos.
Speaker 4: Therefore, the cell phone ban is just not that useful. Oh, my God. I was just going to say, if you're conducting an experiment, we all learn the scientific method in school, or at least we should have. You can only have one variable to draw any sort of conclusions. I was just going to point out that the L.A. schools, I mean, my God, they've got, you know, a solid four to eight things terribly wrong with them. So just tweaking, fixing one, well, it's not going to hurt, but no, that's not going to straighten things out overnight. Oh my gosh, people. People make me insane.
Speaker 3: So I want to talk about the details of that article. And then one that's got tongues wagging on the Sunday talk shows and then still today was, was it the Washington Post or the New York Times? One of your big papers with an expose on how, I think it was the New York Times Sunday story on how we can't protect ourselves as a country in a way that has never really been true because we've used so much of our good stuff on this war in iran and giving it to ukraine and all kinds of different things and we're really vulnerable right now and that has got lots of people talking and and trump's threatening to uh to sue because that information shouldn't come out which probably shouldn't announcing to china that hey man we're really low if you're ever thinking of attack now is the good time because we are really that's probably not good to be uh reporting that on the other hand if You know, similar to the Pentagon Papers and the war in Vietnam. If it's the only way you can let the public know what's really going on, then maybe it's a service.
Speaker 4: Trump also going after Kristen Welker and Kirsten Kirsten, Kristen Welker and ABC News for because she said he's got a mixed record of his endorsements. And then he says, I win practically every one. So he's going to sick the FCC on her. Please. Can we please just stop?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Put her on a boat and send her out in the middle of the Sea of America. That's what I say.
Speaker 4: The American Ocean or the U.S. Ocean.
Speaker 3: We'll rename both of them. Let's start the show officially. It's the last day of this month. I'm Jack Armstrong. He's Joe Getty.
Speaker 4: On this, it is.
Speaker 3: Monday, August 31st. So is today our anniversary? Michael, you're the one who keeps track.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is.
Speaker 3: So we've been doing this for 29 years, the Armstrong and Getty Talk Show?
Speaker 4: We started in 98. So 28.
Speaker 3: Sounds like 28 years to me. 28 years we've been doing this. It seems like a long time.
Speaker 4: Is that long enough?
Speaker 3: Maybe it's long enough.
Speaker 4: 28th anniversary. I believe the traditional gift is pistachios, if you'd like to send some to the studio. We are Armstrong and Getty, and we approve of this program. Let's begin then, officially, according to FCC rules and regs. Here we go, leaping into action at mark.
Speaker 3: It is completely ridiculous.
Speaker 7: It's laughable to say guys like myself, guys like Abdul El-Sayed, we hate America.
Speaker 3: I say I hate America all the time.
Speaker 8: A lot of motherfuckers want to kill me over that take.
Speaker 3: But at least I say it with my fucking chest.
Speaker 4: People will be like, Hasan, you hate America. I'm like, yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I do hate America.
Speaker 4: Marxists lie. They lie and they lie and they lie. That's Hasan Piker denying he's ever said he hates America. He says it all the time. Is his moment about over so I don't have to talk about him anymore? Is it about over? I hope so. You know, I certainly hope so too. He is on stage campaigning with perhaps winning candidates for the United States Senate. I know he's a punk and a shock jock or whatever he is, and a self-promoter and an a-hole and a rich socialist and an Islamist, the rest of it, but By God, if Ken Paxton were campaigning with the Grand Imperial Wizard of the local Klan chapter, we'd be hearing about it. Probably, yes.
Speaker 3: That'd be a bad move. If I was his campaign manager, I'd say, I don't think this is a good idea.
Speaker 4: That's what El Acai does every week. Campaigns with Islamist radicals and communists.
Speaker 3: So we got headlines on the way to get into some more of the news stories today and then a little more depth on what we've talked about and a whole bunch of other stuff. It's going to be a big day. And then we got the bleak anniversary to talk about, partially because Joe tweeted out this Wall Street Journal documentary about the withdrawal from Afghanistan, specifically what happened at Abbey Gate. You know that story if you're a news junkie. And it is gruesome. And the fact that this is not more of a conversation is disturbing. Yeah, I have a lot to say about it. It was harrowing. It was gruesome. It was angering.
Speaker 4: It was sad. And it reminded me anew of how horrific a failure that was and how little accountability, practically no accountability.
Speaker 3: Practically none. Practically none. And yeah, we'll have a lot more on that later. So Katie's Headlines next.
Speaker 4: Stay here.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: I think I'm going to decide. I haven't decided how many or what the list will be, but I'm going to have a list or a number of things that I care about at any given time in my life.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Any flexibility to that? I mean, if you've fulfilled your list of five and then your car breaks down, how's this going to work?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to rank personal issues way above 99% of the things that are in the news, I guarantee you. But yeah, I'm just going to have a very tight list of things I give a crap about. Just like perusing the Twitter and looking at all the TV. Most of the stuff that gets reported, I just don't care. It's not important, and I don't care.
Speaker 4: Boy, if one man is angry online, I want to know about it.
Speaker 3: I know. For real. Give me the tea.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Let's figure out who's reporting what. It's the lead story with Katie Green.
Speaker 2: Katie.
Speaker 1: All righty.
Speaker 9: The major networks. Nepal, Tibet, flood. Death toll surpasses 900. More than 4,700 still missing.
Speaker 3: Race against. Oh, this is from CNN.
Speaker 9: Race against time to find workers missing in the Nepal hydropower tunnels and CBS. Nepal's hesitance to accept foreign help for flood relief is under scrutiny.
Speaker 3: So I think everybody saw the initial videos that came out from Nepal and we we watched them and talked about them. But since then, they've gotten more graphic because they've found more cameras. I don't want to see them. We're into snuff films now. They're just snuff films. I mean, why are... What's... Another video showing, and it's just like a close-up of somebody dying.
Speaker 4: What is that? What's the news value? So many bodies. Right.
Speaker 2: NBC.
Speaker 4: Follow the drone.
Speaker 9: How Ukraine captures Russian prisoners with uncrewed vehicles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm happy about that. But Russia had their deadliest attack in several years on Ukraine over the weekend.
Speaker 4: So they're using drones to round up prisoners? Yeah, I'd like to know more about that. Crazy.
Speaker 3: From the New York Times.
Speaker 2: U.S.
Speaker 9: And Iran exchange strikes overnight after month-long calm.
Speaker 4: Talked about that earlier.
Speaker 9: New York Post, Lindsay Clancy verdict, live update, jury deliberations hit day three. I don't know if you saw this, but one of the psychologists that they had as a witness ended up being, I don't know if he was fired or he resigned after he just got ripped for smiling while he was answering questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. It was a big deal over the weekend.
Speaker 4: Washington Post.
Speaker 9: Trump says he will report NBC host to FCC for rebuke or punishment.
Speaker 3: Kristen Walker.
Speaker 4: Trump is the, like, test case opposite of choose your battles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's like the ground, you know, the starting point of choose your battles. Because he does not at all. He chooses every battle always.
Speaker 4: Right, right. In contrast to Churchill, stops and chucks rocks at every dog that barks. Yeah, nice. Plus, The free speech stuff, sorry, no, wrong, 100% wrong, ugly, un-American, stop it.
Speaker 9: The Wall Street Journal, car sunroofs keep spontaneously exploding, and the problem is getting worse.
Speaker 3: How often does this happen? They're saying, well, I.
Speaker 9: Don't know how often it happens, but they're saying heat, debris, and manufacturing defects, meaning that owners are experiencing this more often.
Speaker 3: Well, is it a particular model, or is it happening to everyone?
Speaker 9: They're pointing out the Lexus SUV as a highlight in this article, but.
Speaker 4: It shatters, right? It doesn't explode per se. I read the first paragraph or two.
Speaker 3: I don't want it to shatter either.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 9: And finally, from the Babylon Bee, Darlene Graham quietly Googles, quote, what does a senator do?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's unfair.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: That's unkind.
Speaker 9: That was rude.
Speaker 3: I just lost her brother. I like this headline, which is real. Google Maps has changed the name of Lake Ontario. I give up.
Speaker 4: Maybe use Google Translate. Set it to English.
Speaker 3: Is it the Zepbound?
Speaker 4: Is that what's happening?
Speaker 2: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 5: Battle over the name of Lake Ontario after President Trump's executive order to rename it Lake America. That has set off a pitched social media battle with the White House celebrating the change on Google Maps, although other mapping services are still using the historic name.
Speaker 3: That's actually what I was attempting to say before the break, and I wasn't able to get it out of my mouth. I think because of that bond, my tongue has gotten too skinny and it flaps around in there and doesn't work anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Google Maps went ahead and changed Lake Ontario to Lake America. Apple Maps didn't. And some of your other whatever. This would list this would be on my list of stories I don't care about. I'm not going to pay attention to in my life.
Speaker 2: Right. Right.
Speaker 3: Doesn't make the narrow. I pay attention to this group.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Google Maps within the US changed it. If you're across the border and you Google it, it has the traditional name, which is fine. I say change the Atlantic Ocean to the American Ocean. I mean, what's Atlantic mean anyway? Nobody knows. And the Pacific Ocean, Pacific implies peacefulness, right? The peaceful ocean. Have you ever seen the Pacific Ocean? It's not peaceful in the least. It's a violent, cold ocean. Call that the U.S.
Speaker 2: Ocean.
Speaker 4: So we got the American Ocean and the U.S.
Speaker 2: Ocean.
Speaker 4: Just change them all. Lake Winnebago. Well, Winnebago's are American. Why aren't we selling sponsorships? It's got to be like sports stadiums.
Speaker 3: It's like Toyota until its contract runs out, and then it's a different lake.
Speaker 4: Right, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that idea. And it's Lake Verizon Wireless.
Speaker 4: Trump's got a bizarre unholy oil deal going in Venezuela that we can talk about at some point. But, yeah, why not sell naming rights to the lakes, and why not the states?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, Illinois, what is that, French or something? Come on. Name it, I don't know, General Motors, in Illinois. I love that idea. So speaking of machinery and progress and that sort of thing, place 21, would you, Michael?
Speaker 1: 154.
Speaker 4: You are good to go.
Speaker 8: NASA's Roman Space Telescope, barrel-shaped, about the size of a tour bus.
Speaker 4: Destination?
Speaker 3: Deep space.
Speaker 8: From an orbit one million miles from Earth, Roman will map the cosmos inside the Milky Way and far beyond with jaw-dropping sweep and detail.
Speaker 4: So we are continuing to explore the cosmos, to press further out into the universe with increasingly sophisticated equipment, And I think that's incredibly important for human beings. And I'll get to why in a moment. But I was weirded out the whole weekend because I kept hearing like, what's the audio equivalent of out of the corner of your eye? Out of the corner of my ear, I kept hearing about the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope. And I'm like, okay, what's a Roman Space Telescope? And why the hell did they name it after that cable news joke, Nancy Grace?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: And I kept not digging into it. And then I finally learned that, indeed, the full name of a prominent female astronomer of your, I guess, I don't know much about her, is Nancy Grace Roman. But, yeah, keep calling it the Roman Space Telescope because calling it the Nancy Grace Roman is just confusing. I'm sure that the husband did it. Anyone can see the husband did it. No, she has nothing to do.
Speaker 3: O.J.
Speaker 4: Simpson's guilty, y'all. It has nothing to do with the telescope.
Speaker 3: A quick space note before we get into something I know you have is serious. I heard this yesterday and it's kind of blown my mind. Scientists saying we can send a spaceship out into space to visit the far reaches, but a hundred years from now, whatever we invent will go further, will.
Speaker 4: Pass that one.
Speaker 3: Like, so there's no point in it going Because in 100 years, we'll invent one that goes significantly further past that one. I mean, like, see you later.
Speaker 4: Well, the obvious problem that leaps to my mind is in 100 years, they'll say, yeah, what's the point? 100 years from now, we'll have a far better one. We'll never learn anything.
Speaker 3: Because there's almost nothing in between. And even at the spaces, at the speed that they travel. So it's waiting to get somewhere to give us some new information. Chugging along out there. And then a century from now, we'll invent something that just goes right on by.
Speaker 9: Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 4: That's a funny notion. It's probably true. But it was a SpaceX rocket that took off a Falcon Heavy, I believe. And it went off flawlessly and was great fun to watch online, which I did. And we wish them well. It's going to send back just those mind-blowing pictures of various cosmic energies that I barely comprehend, including dark matter. So that'll be fun. I listened to an explanation of what dark matter was, and again, you might as well try to explain the Julian calendar to a dog. I just, it's some sort of, it's kind of like gravity, but not. Anyway, I love that. Oh, here's why it's important we keep exploring. And it's all of a package, I think, with free markets and free people, as opposed to just looking inward, navel-gazing, giving up, socialism. It all, it's like of a package.
Speaker 3: A free market people, a free people who practice free markets, it's practically, we have to explore.
Speaker 4: We have to learn more and see more and know more. It's all part of, you know, just the free market is in that, just liberty in general. But that inward, just failing, British, sad, Waiting for the end thing. That's that's the people who say don't spend money on the space program. Use it for housing for the unfortunate. Yeah, we can do both.
Speaker 3: Well, kind of fitting in with my I've decided I'm going to have like five things I pay attention to because most of it is crap. The attention economy, which is a term I really like, just everybody battling for your attention and they're winning. taking all of our attention all the time. I hope it becomes really cool at some point. Like, you're sophisticated artist thinker types. I can't, you know, be distracted by every stupid story that comes along. I need to, you know, be able to focus on things deeper, bigger, think about them, whatever. I can't spend the day thinking about did vandals actually damage the reflecting pool or not and how it's being reported or whichever story it is that has no meaning to me whatsoever. And, you know, think on a bigger, deeper level. I hope that becomes cool at some point.
Speaker 4: I agree with you 100%. Just in terms of approaching the show, I'd rather, you know, just concentrate on big things and big ideas than just the rigmarole of daily life.
Speaker 3: Like all your philosophers, would Immanuel Kant have not, like, thought of anything if he had been born now because he'd just been constantly scrolling through crap?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: You know, because they had time to think. There was nothing else to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: There's such a thing as too much time to think, but we're so far away from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's not worry about that. Like when people start working out, and I'm worried about getting too big.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's circle back to that. Hey, this is a little grimish, but a word from our friends at Incogni. When the monster in Minnesota... killed a lawmaker and her husband in their own home, and they searched his car. They found a notebook with a list of 11 websites that weren't like weapons and ammo.
Speaker 4: They were data brokers. He's trying to figure out where people lived so he could do terrible things. And just why not get your stuff off the Internet to whatever extent is humanly possible?
Speaker 3: First time I did this a couple of years ago, I went to a people search site, and I was blown away by how much information you can get about any just regular person. Type your name into one right now. There you are. Your address, your phone, your family's names, maybe a photo of your front door. Anyone can look you up in seconds and you'll never know who did. That's why we use Incogni. It forces data brokers and people search sites to delete you. Then it keeps checking over and over because the data creeps back in. Love that.
Speaker 4: And there's so many sites. I mean, you can't do it manually. You need the awesome power of Incogni dot com. Go to Incogni.com slash Armstrong. You get 60% off. That's I-N-C-O-G-N-I dot com slash Armstrong because the next time a stranger searches your name, let them find nothing. Incogni.com slash Armstrong. So moving along to other fare and not quite as awe-inspiring as exploring the galaxy and once again, well done, Elon Musk. Oh, you know what? Now is the perfect time to do this. Talked about this months ago, but I re-came across it And the fellow, he's actually a French thinker who retweeted it, mentioned that it's gotten something like 80 million likes. And I thought this is straight out of the, you know, liberty is only a generation away from going away. However Reagan put it, that was five times more eloquent than what I just said. But this guy's tweeting about Elon Musk and something he said that, Beyond a certain level of wealth, money is no longer about consumption. It's about capital allocation. And he goes into a really good example of kids on a playground trading Pokemon cards and how the free market works out 100 different questions automatically without anybody thinking about it. Then the teacher looks in and sees kids, different kids with different numbers of cards and says, That's unfair. So she confiscates, redistributes, enforces equality. So the good players stop playing because what's the point? The bad ones have no reason to improve because they'll get their share anyway, so they don't bother. Trades collapse. The playground is equal and dead. She maximized equality or equity and destroyed happiness. And then he gets into the fact that the teacher's problem is that she can't have the information the playground has collectively. Goes into the Soviet Union. with its shortages, lines, economic collapse, because of central planning. Not because the Soviets were dumb, but because the problem is mathematically unsolvable in centralized mode. And here's the part that nobody gets, particularly on the young socialist end of things. When Elon Musk has $ 200 billion, he doesn't consume it, he allocates it. SpaceX, Starlink, Neuralink, XAI, and he's just one example, obviously, but Every dollar is a bet on the future, and he has a track record. PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX. He's demonstrated he knows how to spot massive problems and allocate resources to them with spectacular returns. The state has a track record, too. Hospitals collapsing, education declining, debt exploding, public services degrading despite constantly rising budgets. The market identifies good allocators. Politics identifies good communicators or beggars or bribers. But just to take it a little further, profit isn't an end goal. It's a signal. It says you've allocated scarce resources to a use that people value enough to pay for. The bigger the profit, the greater the value created. When Starlink turns profitable, it means millions of people in rural areas finally have Internet. When a ministry runs a deficit, it means it's consuming more than it produces. One creates, the other destroys, and we call that redistribution. Then he gets into the two categories of actors, entrepreneurs and bureaucrats, and the difference between them. Entrepreneurs take risks. If they're right, they win. If they're wrong, they lose. But the bureaucrat takes no personal risk. His salary is guaranteed. At best, he maintains an existing rent balance. At worst, he destroys it through over-regulation, forced bad allocation, perverse incentives that discourage those who produce, but in no case does he create.
Speaker 3: And if it's a good-sounding idea, you can make the argument at the end of your failure that it's because you didn't have enough money. Imagine if you could do that in a free market. My muffin shop isn't getting enough customers, so... You need to double down on it, make it bigger, spend more money on it with no customers for the next two years and see.
Speaker 4: If that helps. It's the ultimate foolproof argument. If you win, you win, and you get more money. If you lose, you get more money.
Speaker 3: Man, did you see the viral video that's going around about Berkeley, that woman who took her kid to Berkeley to drop him off at the University of Berkeley?
Speaker 4: Oh, oh, oh, with the junkie cans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the junkie cans. The homeless encampment, yes, with the drug addict camp. Just incredible.
Speaker 4: Horrific.
Speaker 3: Absolutely incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. People talk about L.A. and the big cities with the junkies and bums, Portland, Seattle, Sacramento. It's practically all of them.
Speaker 3: If you allow it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in particular, university towns, Davis, Berkeley, all of them.
Speaker 3: I live right next door to a town where they don't allow it. Vacaville, California. We've had the police chief on before. He doesn't put up with that. And he has spoken to the whole state when they get together for cop stuff and everything like that. But, you know, you got to live in a town where they want you to prosecute people or or hold people to the law.
Speaker 4: I believe there is an Armstrong and Getty T-shirt and force the law.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you haven't seen it, we should tweet that out or put it on the website or something. If you haven't seen that video of taking your kid to one of the most prestigious universities in the world, and then you see that, you've got to think, is this where we want to be?
Speaker 9: Yikes.
Speaker 3: Oh, my God. Mailbag on the way next. Stay here.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: Quick headline we'll tease to a conversation we'll have later.
Speaker 4: U.S.
Speaker 3: Household leverage, that would be your liabilities to net wealth, is the lowest in 50 years. That's probably not good.
Speaker 4: Liabilities to net wealth or net wealth to liabilities? I'm confused.
Speaker 3: We will discuss later. Liabilities to net wealth and how much you owe out there versus your net wealth.
Speaker 4: Okay. All right. Okay. Here's your freedom-loving quote of the day. From C.S. Lewis. Have a great one from Churchill, but it's too long. We'll do it tomorrow. Maybe we'll have a little more time.
Speaker 1: C.S.
Speaker 4: Lewis, I love this. I'm going to get this tattooed on my chest. Progress means getting nearer to the place you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turn, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about turn and walking back to the right road. And in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's really good.
Speaker 4: Absolutely love that, especially for those of you who are sleepy-headed or not paying attention using the term progressive at the end. Yeah, so-called progressives are taking us away from where we want to go. Turn around. From where they want to go off, and that's what I don't get. Yeah, well, that's the nature of cults. They don't serve your best interest. You've lost your capacity to think rationally. Mailbag. Drop us a note. Mailbag at armstrongandgetty.com. Here's a nice note from Jan with some advice about your constipation, Jack. What have we become?
Speaker 3: Is that what the show is now?
Speaker 4: What have we become? We were once so young and handsome.
Speaker 3: It's probably more common now because GLP-1s cause that problem and lots and lots of people are on that drug.
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yep, indeed. Mike, the lawyer from Chicago, writes on the topic of the cell phone ban in schools. A middle schooler I met with told the adults at the party that the students don't care. They're bringing dummy phones to school to hand in first period, so the school thinks all the students are handing in their phones. That's one of the things the Wall Street Journal mentioned. And then he says, as a law school lecturer, I deal with students on their phones. I simply tell them, hey, law school's a choice. It's an investment. You're ruining your own investment. I like that. We are scroomed.
Speaker 3: At that level, I love that. Hey, you're paying for this class, and you're going to go out in the world and try to make a living. If you want to screw that up, go ahead.
Speaker 4: We are screwed. Screwed and doomed. Let's see. We'll save that one for later. How about this from Al Anonymous? After becoming a jilted member of the terrible breakup club, I took Jack's advice as an experiment and went to the chatbots for advice and therapy. I found that chat GPT constantly regurgitated what I told it and came back with the same self-affirming snowflakey message every time. Followed up by questions about whether or not I was planning on hurting myself. So I told Grok that chat GPT sucked at therapy and couldn't do better. Grok was much more clinical and less emotional. You know, it's funny. I don't use Grok anymore because it keeps paywalling me. I find Claude to be the best of those for that sort of thing. Yeah, yeah. But they do vary a great deal. Keep up the fight against Snowflaker and the BS that happens when people use AI to affirm their emotions instead of reality. Grok paywalls you. Well, I like ask it something very simple. Then I try to follow up and it says you've reached the limit.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I'm paying for the advanced something or other, which is probably stupid.
Speaker 4: How much time do we have, Michael?
Speaker 2: A minute 30.
Speaker 4: All right. Brian writes, he mentions Ted Cruz wrote a book about Clarence Thomas and did a two hour, two part podcast. Getting a lot of attention. Yeah, good. And it should. Clarence Thomas finally getting the attention and plaudits he deserves. Near the end part, Justice Thomas tells a story about Justice Breyer in a fond way. He was a liberal. When gathered among a group of colleagues, Breyer was telling a story about how he had been robbed while at his vacation home and went something like this. Clarence, imagine you're on your porch with your wife and another couple playing bridge and a man walks up to you and demands your wallet. What would you do? Thomas responds, well, I wouldn't be playing bridge. Breyer says, OK, OK, OK. What if you're on your porch with your buddies playing poker and a man walks up and demands your wallet? What would you do? Thomas replies, well, I wouldn't be playing poker. Breyer replies, OK, if you're on your porch, what would you be doing? Thomas replies, I'd probably be cleaning my guns. I'm looking forward to hearing that. I think I will. Although I'm informed there are no other podcasts. This is the only one.
Speaker 3: He's the boogeyman of the left. You know, Clarence Thomas, he's the scary justice.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, I know. They got to have one.
Speaker 3: We've got so much on the way, and if you don't get it or hear it live, you can get it in podcast form. Armstrong and Getty On Demand. If you subscribe, you'll get it all the time, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty.