Speaker 1: All right, A pleasure to bring in Mark Simon of Sports Info Solutions. Mark, how are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 1: How are you well? We're doing well and dealing with the Fenway Park jinx. Let's put it that way. It's been a crazy weekend for the Giants, endeavors and everything else. But since we last spoke, the team has gone one in five and they're being outscored thirty five seventeen. Does any of this matter?
Speaker 2: I don't really think so, Like whether they finished sixty five and ninety seven or seventy and ninety two. Does it like they've had so many games like they had yesterday that shouldn't you know, for most teams, or you put them in the win column and that's it and the ninth inning ends and the game's over, and then like they've just had too many like yesterday and to the point where it's kind of like what matters year is like you want to see Eldridge continue to develop. You want to see landing route get consistent. You want to see positive things that he's taken to next year. There doesn't seem to be a lot these days, but that's what you want.
Speaker 1: To see, Yes, Dylan Smith looked pretty good. I don't know if you saw the end of the game last night, but you know they don't have relievers who go three innings anymore. Goose Gossage is gone. He's not coming back. Dylan Smith, what one great inning, and they tried the second inning and he didn't have it. It's unfortunate that relievers are built that way. But for one inning, he looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is unfortunate. It's actually funny. I was watching a met padre game from nineteen eighty six this week, and Rich Gossage pitched three innings in that game. And you know, he's someone that gives it all, his all on every pitch, and it was just a different kind of baseball to watch to see him go out there for three innings. Supposed to these guys, that's trying to throw one hundred and one for one inning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the way relievers used to be. I wouldn't mind seeing a reliever be able to go two innings. I would like to see it, but I don't know if we'll ever get there again. The Giants do play well against some teams, and then the teams that they don't play well against. Everyone should be winning those games and they don't. What happens to them?
Speaker 2: I wish I had an answer. It is so funny to me that they are over five hundred against the Braves, and they're over five hundred against the Brewers, and they're against the Dodgers. They have won four out of seven, with more to come, obviously, but they just seem to melt. They melted against the Yankees the first three day three games of the season. They melted against Tampa Bay. They've melted against the American League in a lot of respect because you know, they're oh and two against the Red Sox the Al East, oh and three against the Raids, oh and three against the Yankees and are really ugly, oh and three and one and two against the Orioles, and one and two against the Blue Jays. They just, I don't know, it just feels like they've melted this year. They've been banning one run games. If they were a better team than one run games, you'd feel a little bit better about them. But every day it just feels kind of like the one that they had yesterday.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the Red Sox. I've watched them and I realized contraras is a tremendous hitter. Then I watch everybody else. I know Anthony is not around and he's hurt. They don't scare me, And I know they're right up there offensively in the American League, but for some reason they don't. They don't scare me. Well, Pat, do you rate the Red Sox? Give me a report on them?
Speaker 2: Sure, let's do it a little statistical kind of thing here where we combine offense, defense, and pitching. Baseball Reference does this really well, and the Red Sox come out pretty well in this, maybe better than definitely better than you think, probably a little better than I think. Where they are a top ten team pitching wise, they're a top three team. I think it is offense wise, and because their center fielder is so good and their outfield is just so good in general, and they're really good third base, and defensively, they come out as right there with the Cubs as the best defensive team and the Grand smushing together. Out of all of that, the Red Sox come out as number one, even ahead of the Dodgers, which I think is a little bit far fetched. But the logic of that is that they've got a great lineup and you see it with Faris, You see it with Saydan Raphaela. You see it with what a braw has done for them recently. They have really good pitching, maybe not the best pitching, but they have Sonny Gray, and they have what you would feel like is a competent for guys that you could throw in a playoff series. And they have a great closer, and they have a pretty good bullpen whin they're healthy. And then the defense, the outfield defense is so good that it takes away a lot of runs that that elevates them. And this formula that Baseball Reference uses actually has the Red Sox as underachieving and it has Tampa Bay as significantly overachieving, and it has the Red Sox as the best team. Whether you or buy that, I'm just giving you the argument for that. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with much of what you said, but that's kind of the argument at this point.
Speaker 1: All Right, all right, we'll see. I just don't have that feeling that they have they're gonna just go out and score a ton of runs. I just don't have that feeling. But we'll see. They get to see the tugboat today. Matt Wilkinson he's a big boy, and Jake Bennett is on the other side, twenty five years old. He's six foot six, so this should be an interesting matchup both lefties in Fenway Park. You know, there used to be a time that you'd never throw a lefty in Fenway. You do anything before you throw a lefty. And Fenway Park now lefties pitch all the time. So what about these two guys today.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's funny that you said that, because, like you think of like the Bruce Hursts and the John Tutors and guys like that that were turned out to be pretty decent pitchers that were lefties that pitched in Fenway back in the day when he and I were both younger pups, I guess. But all right, the pitching matches for today. So Jake Bennett got had this really good five or six start run in like May and June where he was very, very tough to hit, and in that he had he owned all parts of the plate. He owned the top of the zone in particular, I got a lot of guys out at the top of the zone. He's kind of faded a little bit like then, less effective recently. You should start an alrighty lineup against him if you can, and I haven't seen Todays, but you should because he hasn't allowed an extra base hit to a left handed hitter all year. He's you know, when he's very good. When he's good, he's very good. But he hasn't been very good of late. The Wilkinson thing start. I guess I'm looking at like how he sails against Abrau, who is they said it yesterday on the broadcast one of the best left handed hitters against left handed pitching in the sport. I'd like to see him go longer than a couple of innings, certainly. I think you want to see he He was stretched out minor league wise, one hundred pitches his left minor league game. Let him go. Let's see what he's got left. He's he's very tough on lefties, right e's he can be very tough on. But the issue that he runs into against right handed hitters, and you'll see it at Fenway for sure, they can hit for power against him, and I think that's something that you got to be awarey.
Speaker 1: Of lineup endeavors Damas Eldridge, Barracoto and left Lee Kinser catching Cox and center instead of Gilbert today and cost A third base, so.
Speaker 2: It's left But yeah, you want to start Devers, but and Eldridge for that matter. But Jake Bannett is really good against lefties, so they got to watch out for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Cox is in center field today. He's struck out, I think nine times in a row, so we'll see what happens with him this week. The Reds and Diamondbacks come in and we had JJ Bloedet He's hit for the cycle. Last night for the Reds, Della Cruz almost did it and they had a big win last night. Marte has still disappeared. He was seeing at the Roulette Wheel and they're coming into San Francisco next weekend. So what a week this is gonna be. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So but with the Reds, I think the thing to be mindful of is you're gonna see Chase Burns, who has been one of the best pitchers in baseball this year, and he has like a two five ERA and his win loss is like very like old school really good. I think it's like fifteen and three. He does it with two pitches, which I think is really impressive. He's a fastball slider guy. He the slider is a really big strikeout weapon for him. Every so often you'll see a change up, but he is very much a power pitcher and he's elite. He's one of the best guys in the sport. He's picked second overall. And then there's salth Stewart, who is terror one of baseball's best terrors with runners in scoring position, ops over one thousand with runners in scoring position, leading in RBIs with ninety seven. Those are your two kind of highlight guys for Cincinnati. Arizona has played five hundred this month. I think Corbyn Carroll is a legit MVP candidate. He's been great this year. Perdomo has been a lot better lately. Don't let his numbers deceive you. Look out for Perdomo. Edward Rodriguez has been excellent all year with a little help from his defense. Diamondbacks are right in it. This is one where the Giants could play spoiler a little bit, but you know they got to show up to do that.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll see. We'll talk to you next weekend when the Diamondbacks are here, and other than that, we'll see what this week brings for baseball. So I appreciate it. Mark, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You got it tip all right.
Speaker 1: That is Mark Simon's Sports Info Solutions. Next up Barry Bloom, And of course he's been on our show many times. He used to write for MLB. He's been a baseball writer for years and years. But he understands what's going on in LA with all his financial business with the Dodgers and how that may affect him. And also he's based in Arizona most of the time, and he understands Terry Lvolo and CATL Marte and what that does to the National League West. And plus he's still in San Diego. So Barry Bloom is with us next right here in the Sports Leader