S1: Welcome to Building Billions, the podcast for business owners who are getting things done and scaling fast. I've helped business owners create billions of dollars in value over the past decade, and now I'm here to share the strategies that actually work. This show is for the doers, the ones solving problems, making tough calls, and building real value. If you're ready for straight talk on what it takes to grow a massive business, you're in the right place. Let's get to work.
S2: On today's episode, I am doing a Q&A. I do these while I am putting on my makeup in the morning. I try to do this at least once a week. You can check it out live on Instagram, or you could watch the replay and actually see the masterful JK not masterful. Uh, the techniques of me putting on makeup on. Which is ridiculous because I don't really know what I'm doing, but I just love it. So I keep buying all the products, which is something that I actually talk about in this episode is how do you own who you are, what your interests are, while also being a badass in the workplace and being professional. And somebody asked me a question around this. So it was a fun Q&A this morning on this episode of Building Billions.
S3: We're gonna have a fun Wednesday today at Khan Ventures because we're celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month, bringing awareness to Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So today we wear pink. I thought it was kind of fitting. On Wednesday we wear pink, if you know, you know, um, but we'd love to do Q&A while I get ready. I'm gonna try to get ready fairly quickly because I'm already a little bit behind. I don't know how this happened this morning. Does this happen to you guys?
UU: Just like behind. Gotta get all the things happening. Good morning. Hello. Hello.
S3: I'm so excited. Guys. We have our nine figure boardroom event this week. It's where we bring in business owners who've created nine figure businesses. And it's going to be awesome. So we have a lot of prep that's happening. And just good stuff. Good important stuff. Uh, yes. So drop your questions. You could ask me people questions. Leadership questions, mindset questions. Uh, also, if you're in Scottsdale or you just want your life to get changed, you should come to nine, figure boardroom, go to nine figure or I'm sorry, ten x no carnal ventures.com/boardroom. Jeez, Louise. Words are hard this morning. Um, how do you get yourself hyped up to do content? Grant Cardone taught me this. He has a phenomenal saying. Hussein is creativity follows commitment. So if you are committed to going live, your creativity, your energy, your enthusiasm has to follow it. It's not you get creative first it's you get committed first and then you come up with the creativity. So for me, if I'm committed to at least going live once a week, then I don't really have a choice but to get creative on what I'm going to say. I'm not going to do. It just so happens that it's really easy for me to do my makeup while talking about business, leadership, all the things. So that's how I get myself. I wouldn't even say I get hyped, to be honest. I'm kind of like this all the time. I don't really have maybe like once a month I might have like a down moment, but for the most part I'm always this energetic. I just have other shit I need to get done. But great question. Did ten x 363 years ago as a solopreneur. I love our ten x 360 program. It is Probably one of my favorite programs, probably my favorite program, because it just so helpful for business owners who have at least done $1 million of revenue to actually understand what's holding their business back. And so many people just don't even know. They don't know what they don't know. So they're stuck and they think that they're stuck for some other reason outside of just like a technical thing that needs to be tweaked and fixed. So our Ten-x 360 program, we do. We just finished on this last week. We have one coming up in three weeks from now. Uh. Game changing. Totally game changing. Uh, how do you deal with someone not pulling weight on the team? You're honest with them. You're very honest with them saying this is what my expectation is. This is the training that I've given you in order for you to fulfill this expectation. Do you fully understand the expectation? Do you have any questions? If they don't have any questions and they're still not doing what you need them to do, you have to find somebody who is willing to do what you need to get done in your business. I find that most of the time, what I just said isn't actually happening in the business. Somebody isn't pulling their weight because the expectations were never clearly set. There was no measurement. There was just like a lack of accountability in general in the business. And when there's a lack of accountability, it seems like it's the employees fault. But I have a feeling that if that person was dropped into my business where there was a proper onboarding plan, where we interviewed them and made it clear to them what the expectation was, and we had them send us end of day recaps all throughout their onboarding to ensure that they were actually understanding what they were supposed to be doing, and asking questions like, if all of those pieces were happening and then they weren't pulling their weight. It's a really.
S4: Easy.
S3: Fix, because we know that it's high probability that it's them, not us. Now, I'm not going to pretend like we don't sometimes make mistakes because we of course we do. But we do so much training up front. We had such clear expectations up front that the likelihood of it being a training issue on our end today is just a lot lower. And then I don't sit back and ask myself questions like, why are they not pulling their weight? I know why they're not pulling their weight either. I didn't do my job in explaining what the expectation was. And then I have to reset it with them. Or they're just aren't. They just aren't willing to do the job in what's required. In which case I have to find somebody who is, because I can't let the team be negatively impacted by the fact that somebody isn't pulling their weight. It's very demoralizing for a high performing team. Trying to do this as fast as possible. And like even doing steps out of order. Uh. Best advice for an online course startup? Obsess on the results of your existing customers. Like obsess. Go above and beyond. Understand their biggest pain points. Do whatever it takes to help them achieve results so that you really ensure that you understand what their problems are, and then can use them as testimonials to bring in new people. You will learn so much from your first set of clients, and instead of focusing on your next set of clients when you're in startup mode, you obsess on the customer journey when you're in I'm sorry the other way around. Obsess on the always obsess over the customer first and foremost. But especially when you're in startup mode, you have to really understand where your product is working and where it's just totally not serving the customer. As business owners, we come up with these wild ideas sometimes about what we think the customer might want. And in reality, they don't actually want it. And you don't know that unless you're so in tune and in sync with them. I would not focus on building scalable systems and processes when you're just starting. The focus should entirely be on obsessing on the customer to get them results, to understand what they really need, what they really want. And then from there you can build systems and scale around it. But that's not the focus in the startup mode. Focus absolutely has to be obsessing on the client and obsessing on their results. I just bought this new product, this rare beauty product, and my makeup artist use it, and she's like, so she uses it so well.
UU: This is like, oh fuck, I keep doing this. Oh, wait. No. That's right. Uh.
S3: Is this right?
UU: So, uh, she does it so well.
S3: And like I say, when I do it. Um, finding motivated people, team players is also helping them strengthen their skills and training support.
UU: Couldn't agree more.
S3: What's your IQ? I have no idea. Uh, I'm trying to find a good question. Pop in a great question, guys. Uh. Why IQ? I don't know. I don't think things like that matter, to be honest. Like, I don't really care. I'm not really Interested? I don't know. I know a lot of smart, broke people, so. Tests like that have never really. I don't know, like, to me, the measurement of somebody's intelligence is actually what they create, not what they can do on some test. So I just put such little weight into tests like that. Think of how many people like my husband is a genius. Him on a S.A.T. test or an act test. Ridiculous. He would. He would score pretty terribly. Similarly, he'd probably do terrible at the bar exam. He knows more than most lawyers know. And so tests like that were. There's some sort of standardization, I don't know, maybe there are really smart, really successful people who also have high IQs. I just don't really think of it as something that I'm trying to measure or improve in my life. I'm trying to measure, improve my output, my productivity. That allows me to create an incredible life. And even if somebody gave me like, I don't even know how long it takes to take an IQ test, ten minutes, 30 minutes. But there are literally a million other things that I would rather do than take a test to measure that. It just seems like totally wasteful to me because I don't really know what the purpose is. How do you how to get my foot in the luxury market interior design when that life is so far from mine? Tactical tips on how to meet the right people. It's a good question. Uh, I don't think that your life has to be like your client's life, but your promotion does. Your promotion has to be targeted towards the luxury market. So if I were you, I would only be promoting first. First of all, follow brands who are luxury brands, not like designer, like Chanel, Gucci type brands, but the luxury interior design market. Look up on TikTok luxury design, see what they're posting and you can become a subject matter expert very quickly and establish yourself as a subject matter expert by associating yourself with their designs. You're giving critiques, you're giving reviews, you're highlighting, you're showcasing. You're saying what you would do differently. Just you entering the conversation is the starting point, and you enter the conversation in most cases before you actually have the results, to say that you could do this better, or you have done this better because you're not. You might not have a clientele yet, right? So I would enter into the conversation by being known as somebody who has an opinion on this. It's kind of similar to me. I'm super interested in. Beauty products, wellness products. Fashion. It's not really what our core business is, but I still comment on it, and I still share the pieces of it that I'm interested in. And the weirdest thing happens people who are in those spaces are interested in having a conversation with me. And so you just start associating yourself with the people who are doing incredible things in your space, which then gets you the recognition and the attention from clients, because they think of you as somebody who is already in that space, even though you haven't created the product yet, you've just been commenting, but you're now a part of the conversation. I mean, that's the power of social media, guys. It's like literally in a nutshell, the power of social media. You can just be whoever you want to be. Now, if you're not a legit designer and your design skills suck, this is how a lot of people get. Like kind of scammed online. Scammed is probably a harsh word, but where it's like people are like really faking it till they make it and they don't actually have the skills. So you have to also get the skills that are valuable in the interior design world, which I'd imagine is like actually being able to design spaces that people love. Uh, because what can happen is you can associate yourself with that space.
UU: This blush is really dark. Really pigmented. I just bought this. Wow.
S3: Uh, they can associate themselves, and then they really don't know what they're doing, so get the skills.
UU: But if you already have the skills.