Gillian Bowen, Host: Hello, my name is Gillian Bowen. This is Small Firm, Big Impact. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Complaints have to be made in writing and submitted with Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: a signed copy of our form. Uh, generally, we need evidence, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to be provided in support of the complaint.
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: For Australian and rest of the world members outside of New Zealand. Um, the By Laws is the critical starting point in relation to their conduct. And for New Zealand based members, it's the NZICA rules, and the By-Laws and the rules incorporate the Code of Ethics and the other professional and technical standards. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: You should be responsive. So that includes um, being careful Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to comply with time frames in which responses might be requested. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: and if you need more time, just ask and tell Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: us why. We're usually pretty flexible about that.
Gillian Bowen, Host: It's the podcast giving chartered accountants the up to date information they need to do their jobs. Each episode I share resources, tools, and expert advice provided by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and a range of people across our profession. So get following the pod in your favourite podcast app. Let's start a conversation. Today we have Kate Dixon, Australian Conduct Leader, and Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader. The topic the complaints process for members of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand. Kate and Rebecca. Welcome to Small Firm, Big Impact.
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: Morning, Gill. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Hi, Gill. Great to be here. Thank you.
Gillian Bowen, Host: Okay, uh, I want to take a minute first to get to know our experts, because that is the best way to set this up so people know who we're talking to and why we're talking to you. Kate, what do you do at CA ANZ?
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: Well, as conduct leader, I'm responsible for all the complaint, investigations and disciplinary proceedings in relation to members and former members in Australia and the rest of the world outside of New Zealand. So this includes, um, also includes supporting our disciplinary panels to carry out their roles in relation to complaints and disciplinary proceedings.
Gillian Bowen, Host: Okay. All right. Becky, how about you. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: So likewise, I'm responsible for the disciplinary function in New Zealand. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: my team is a small multidisciplinary team. We're made up Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: of lawyers, a chartered accountant, uh, and another investigator and Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: two administrators. Um, as with the Australian counterparts, we're responsible Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: for investigating complaints and then managing disciplinary proceedings before the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Disciplinary Tribunal and Appeals Council and supporting those bodies. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: we investigate complaints about current and former members and also Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: certain non-members who are licensed or recognised by NZICA in Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: accordance with statute or the NZICA rules. So that includes, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: for example, licensed insolvency practitioners. Mhm. Mhm. Okay. So a big job for you both. An important job for you both. Before we dive into the complaints and conducts process I think it's worth explaining uh the names of the disciplinary bodies. You've touched on a couple there but um the names of them and how they handle complaints and investigations at CA ANZ and perhaps a bit of a brief rundown about what they do. Um, Kate, why don't you start? What's the structure look like?
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: So we have four main bodies. Uh, the first one is the Professional Conduct Committee, and that's responsible for, uh, receiving and initiating complaints, uh, and then investigating them. And the committee can decide not to investigate on a complaint. Uh, or if it is investigated, it will decide on the complaint outcome. And that can include referring the matter to the Disciplinary Tribunal. Um, so then we moved to the Disciplinary Tribunal, which hears and determines complaints made to it by the Professional Conduct Committee. And we also have an Appeals Council which hears and determines any appeals of decisions of the Disciplinary Tribunal. And then lastly, we also have the Professional Conduct Oversight Committee, and that has oversight responsibility for the integrity, timeliness and effectiveness of the disciplinary system as a whole.
Gillian Bowen, Host: Mhm. So a lot going on there. And Becky what about then in New Zealand for our members who are based there? Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Sure. So, similarly, we have three disciplinary bodies being the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Professional Conduct Committee, Disciplinary Tribunal and Appeals Council. Um, and Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: they all have the same remit as the three bodies Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: in Australia. Um, but in New Zealand, these are statutory Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: bodies prescribed by the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants Act. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Um our process is overseen by the NZICA Regulatory Board. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: That board has a slightly different remit, slightly broader remit Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: than the Professional Conduct Oversight Committee, as it's NZICA's Board, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: responsible for its statutory functions. Um, but its core responsibility Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: is to oversee the regulation discipline of members in New Zealand. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: But it also has some additional responsibilities, for example, prescribing Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the Code of ethics and other standards. Um, the other Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: core role in the complaints process, and this applies both Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to New Zealand and Australia, is the reviewer of complaints. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: So that sort of separate um from the three main bodies. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: but either the member or the complainant involved in the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: complaint can seek a review of certain decisions of the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Professional Conduct Committee by the reviewer of complaints. Uh, reviewers Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: are independent lawyers and they can look at, um, sort Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: of the process followed by the committee and the reasonableness Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: of its decisions and make recommendations to the committee. So Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: it's it's it's not quite a full appeal process. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: but it's, um, a bit of a recourse outside of the, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Professional Conduct Committee's decision making process to, um, look at Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: their decisions. I can imagine if members are listening along right now, all of that might sound quite complex and, um, indeed, um, quite intense to get your head around. So maybe we take a step back. Um, Becky, I'm thinking if I was a member of the public, um, let's look at it from that side first. If I was a member of the public and I wanted to make a complaint about a chartered accountant, how would I do that? Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Sure. So, um, it's very easy. Uh, first thing to do, uh, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: jump on our website and have a bit of a Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: read up about the complaints process in the first instance. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: on the website, we've got a complaint form that they'll Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: need to download. Uh, complaints have to be made in Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: writing and submitted with a signed copy of our form. Uh, generally, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: we need evidence, um, to be provided in support of Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the complaint. Then that could cover a whole range of things. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: It's going to depend on the nature of the issues Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: and the relationship between the parties. But, um, for example, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: it might be things like the engagement letter. Um, copies Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: of relevant correspondence or contracts, um, financial statements or reports Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: or trust deeds or whatever. So relevant evidence um supported, supporting Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: a signed complaint form and that can be either emailed Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: or posted to us. And we then sort of kick Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: off the review of that process and look at whether Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: it's within our jurisdiction and, and then whether we're going Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to investigate it. So then Kate on that what happens next. So the complaint comes in to CA ANZ and then what do you guys do?
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: So, um, once we've gathered, gathered, um, the evidence from the complainant in support of the complaint, um, if it's going to be investigated, we will write to the member and seek their response to the complaint. And we then have an exchange of correspondence with the member and the complainant until enough information about the the issues in the complaint is gathered. And at that stage, it will all be considered by the Professional Conduct Committee. And and the committee will either make a decision in relation to the complaint or initiate further investigations itself.
Gillian Bowen, Host: So then imagine um, I guess then let's, let's I guess we're, we're going to assume then that it is going to be pursued by the Professional Conduct Committee or what we, we call the PCC, save us having to say it every single time. Um, we live in a world of acronyms, don't we, Becky? What happens after that? Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: So at first instance, once we've done our investigation, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the complaint is considered by the committee on the papers. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: after that, in some cases, the committee may, um, hold Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: something called a case conference. And that's an in person Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: investigative meeting with the parties, um, usually members are required Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to attend sometimes um, and complainants may be invited to attend. Uh, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: and they're really looking at so they're wanting to discuss Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the complaint, um, with them and determining whether or not Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: it's serious enough to be referred to the disciplinary tribunal. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: sometimes either before that or after that process, the committee Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: may also appoint an external investigator or expert to assist with, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: particular sort of line of inquiries. So, um, that's often Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: if there's sort of like a very technical element to it, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: say an assurance complaint, um, or maybe something that has Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: a forensic component. Um, or they may order a practice review. Uh, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: if a complaint is serious, it will be referred to Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the disciplinary tribunal for hearing. Um, the tribunal process is Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: certainly a more formal legal proceeding. Um, uh, the PCC Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: bears the onus of proof as the prosecutor and formal Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: charges and evidence are presented. Um members are often legally represented, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: and it's usually in their best interests to be. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: there's a presumption at those hearings, um, both before the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Disciplinary Tribunal and the Appeals Council. Um, that the matter Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: will be heard in public. So we may have the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: media attending or members of the public. Um, and also, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: there's a presumption that decisions are published with the member's Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: name and location, although, of course, members can make submissions Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: against this, um, you know, a separate name suppression application Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: if there's good reasons. Um, and then if either the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: member or the PCC is unhappy with the decision of Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the Disciplinary Tribunal, they can lodge an appeal to the Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Appeals Council. Um, appeals can cover a range of things, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: so it might be the substantive decision about the liability. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: So whether or not the case has been proved, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: or it could be decisions around the sanctions, um, or Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the costs orders or um, also publication or declining suppression Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: or whatever. So there's a range of things that can Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: be appealed. And it might not be all parts of Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the tribunal's decision. Um, and in New Zealand, um after Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the and this is different from Australia, um, but it's Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: because of the sort of statutory nature of our process. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: if a party is ultimately unhappy with the Appeals Council's decision, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: there's ultimate recourse to the courts via judicial review. Mhm. Mhm. Kate. It sounds like a very, um, layered, um and thorough process. How long does that usually take.
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: So it really does depend on the complexity of the matter and also how responsive um, members and complainants are. But we typically say um, it usually takes between about four and nine months for complaint investigations, uh, to be completed, but of course it would be a longer time period, you know, if the matter is referred to the Disciplinary Tribunal, because that's a whole that's a new process and that, you know, that's going to take a few months to complete as well. Um, but of course, um, some complex complaints will take, will take a long time to complete, but we always aim to do them as fast to, you know, to get through them as fast as possible because we understand it's such a stressful process.
Gillian Bowen, Host: Mhm. Mhm. That's right. Yes that's right. Everyone's looking for the outcome to be delivered as quickly as humanly possible so to speak. And what is it that you are measuring members against in all of this. How do how do you know what it is as the benchmark that that members should be behaving against?
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: So for Australian and rest of the world members outside of New Zealand, um, the by laws is the critical starting point in relation to their conduct. And for New Zealand based members, it's the NZICA rules, and the By-Laws and the Rules incorporate the the Code of Ethics and the other professional and technical standards. And so that's the starting point. Um, and that's, that's that, that they're the documents that sort of set the standards by which members conduct is examined.
Gillian Bowen, Host: And for example, Kate, then if someone does make a complaint, you often let people know that actually if it doesn't fit in with our By-Laws, you can't investigate.
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: Yeah that's right. And sometimes there's other more appropriate bodies that might actually have jurisdiction for a particular type of conduct. But it has to be, um, a the conduct that we investigate needs to be something that's covered by the bylaws and rules and the various codes and regulations, etc..
Gillian Bowen, Host: So as a professional membership body, we've got our own remit and that is the lane that we, um, are required to to stay in. Becky, what is it that members can do to ensure a smooth process for themselves? And I'm thinking, um, you know, as as Kate had said, it can be a stressful process for them. What what do they need to be able to do? Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Um, first and foremost, I always tell people, don't panic. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: you know, receiving a complaint is stressful, but, you know, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: you need to just, um, take a breath before you respond. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: you should be responsive. So that includes, um, being careful Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to comply with time frames in which responses might be requested. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: and if you need more time, just ask and tell Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: us why. And we're usually pretty flexible about that. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: members need to be very clear in their response and Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: provide all relevant evidence. So if, um, if certain questions Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: have been asked or they've been, um, required to provide Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: particular documents or information, you should pay attention to that. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: and and seek to understand the process. So we're always Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: happy to explain it. And there's also other avenues of support. So, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: there's the CA Advisory Group, um, for New Zealand members. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: There's um, the member care function. Um, and there's also, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: recourse to technical advice if you need it, um, available Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: through CA ANZ. Um, in some cases, it's very appropriate for Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: members to seek legal advice. Um, there's a free hour Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: of legal advice through the CA Advisory Group. Um, they Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: should certainly consider talking to their professional indemnity insurers. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: if they have insurance. Um, but just coming back to Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the response, the key thing is to demonstrate insight. So Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: I always tell people if you don't agree with the complaint, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: it's appropriate to defend things robustly. But that needs to Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: be done courteously, professionally, and, you know, being careful about Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the tone that you take in responding and remembering that Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: your audience, um, at first instance is going to be Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: your peers on the PCC and also the lay members Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: that sit on that. But, um, at worst, it could Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: go right the way through the process. So tone is Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: very important. Um, if you do think that, um, you Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: could have done something better, putting your hand up and Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: saying that, um, goes a very long way. Ultimately, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: you know, the disciplinary bodies want to make sure that Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: members are complying with the ethics. And a significant part Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: of that is, um, having insight about, you know, where Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: you could have done a bit more. Um, self-reflection. Yeah. Always useful. Yeah, yeah. Say you're sorry. Go ahead. Becky. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: I was just going to say that, um, sometimes it's hard Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to apologize, and often that's actually all that a client, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: if it's a client or a, you know, member of Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the public that's complained, often they actually just want a Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: simple apology. Kate is there anything like you'd like to add on that.
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: No I think that covers it all. Um, just take it seriously uh, and think through sort of all the angles.
Gillian Bowen, Host: Look, we're almost out of time. Um, I did just want to perhaps, um, you know, wrap up with saying, what is it that might then be, um, an outcome, um, a possible outcome if someone is actually proven to have breached the bylaws or the NZICA Rules of the Code of Ethics. Kate. What what is it that a member may expect to happen?
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: So for the most serious matters, referral to the Disciplinary Tribunal and a range of sanctions can be imposed by the tribunal. So that does include termination or suspension of membership. Might include fines, um, a censure, a requirement that you have quality review or additional training. Um, and um, at the professional conduct committee, um members can agree a um some the imposition of disciplinary sanctions with um, the committee and the committee can impose similar sanctions by agreement. So a censure, a fine, also a quality review. And the committee can also um for um at at the lower end, impose a caution or a professional reminder or, or in appropriate complaints, just decide to take no further action.
Gillian Bowen, Host: Mhm mhm. And look the members of CA ANZ will hopefully remember at the end of last year we did hold a member vote to strengthen and further, um, amplify and reform and bring together and align our By-Laws and the NZICA rules. And that was a successful vote, which the fines that prompted me to think that we did actually increase the the amount of fines that could be, um, handed out to firms. Um, in, in response to an, a, a firm event that was found to be proven. Look, I will put a link to the information that we have on our website on how to make a complaint. So if anyone wants to go and find out more about the process, they can. Good point out there Becky. In regards to the CA Advisory Group, we've done previous podcast episodes on that, so I'll whack a link to that in the show notes, as well as the links on where you can find that on the website, and anything else that Kate and Becky think that I should whack in the show notes. I'll put a link to that as well, including a link to the Decision Register on our website and Acuity magazine, which is where you can actually find out about our recent conduct decisions. Before we go, final thought from you, Becky. And then final thought from you, Kate. Becky, you go first. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: I would just say it's along the don't panic lines. Um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: you know, it can be very scary. And hearing, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: things like the outcomes, termination and suspension and fines and Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: all of that, um, can sound daunting. The reality is that, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: you know, we get, um, you know, it's relatively few Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: members annually who get those, um, really serious outcomes. And, um, Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: just because a complaint is going to, um, is sent Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: to you doesn't necessarily mean there's going to be an Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: adverse decision. So take it seriously, but put yourself in Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: the best foot forward, um, as far as responding to Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: it and, um, you know, problem shared is a problem halved.
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: And I would just add, uh, have a read of some of the disciplinary decisions. There are some great tips there of things to think about your own practice. And um, and, you know, the situations members have got themselves into, there's a lot to be learnt from looking at those decisions. So, um, have a look at the links.
Gillian Bowen, Host: That's a really, really good idea. That is all we have time for. If you would like to get in touch with the podcast email podcast@charteredaccountantsanz.com. And of course follow the pod in your favourite podcast app. Let's start a conversation. Thank you Becky and Kate for being my experts on Small Firm, Big Impact.
Kate Dixon, Australia Conduct Leader: Thank you. Rebecca Stickney, New Zealand Conduct Leader: Thanks a lot.
Gillian Bowen, Host: Bye bye.