S1: Hi, everyone. Ian here. Now, about three years ago, my friend and colleague Phaidon Stout interviewed Olympia Jago. Olympia is the CEO and founder of gotra, which is a pretty amazing robotic maggot food waste processing company. Uh, explain it better in the podcast. She is a remarkable founder. She's been a member of summit for our late stage founder group for quite a few years now, and has just got an incredible story feed and went into it a little bit three years ago. But we love getting founders back who have made great progress. Now Olympia is part ag tech, part deep tech and part climate tech, which is pretty remarkable. She lives in Canberra, which is a sort of hotbed of deep tech startups, and she really does have an amazing story. I know feeding got into some of that, but I think we cover some different ground in this one and hopefully it's pretty interesting. So why don't we jump over and listen to my interview with Olympia Yoga? Okay, welcome. I'm back with another episode with one of our favorite founders in the whole world, Olympia Lager from Gautier. Hello. Yeah, welcome. And now you are coming to us. Remote. I was actually in Canberra last week, so I should have brought my studio in the car and popped in to see you. But I didn't have time and I forgot. But you are in Canberra, which is somewhat of a hotbed for fantastic deep tech startups, including Gattaca. So, and it's your second time on the podcast? It is.
S2: Look at me.
S1: Go. Do you remember the last one I do, yeah. Phaidon did the.
S2: Interview. Yes, I was on the side of the road.
S1: Yeah. Because, yeah, one of the things I remember about you and, uh, from some of our early summit, um, uh, clan meetings was the, uh, uh, the fact that you were often behind the wheel of a truck driving. So you're very hands on founder. I mean, maybe we should start there like you are definitely, uh, you know, sleeves rolled up. Uh, get in the thick of it. Um, in fact, no, let me not ask that question. First. Let's go back to the basics and then we'll ask that question. Tell us a little bit about Gutierrez so that we we know what we're dealing with here.
S2: Gotcha. Is a waste management infrastructure company or waste management technology company. So we build autonomous robotic systems that make insects to a job. And their job is to process food waste. So we have a fee for service waste management, uh, capability. And then we create, uh, to agricultural commodities on the back side. Um, and so we make money on the front end and the back end, but we effectively where we, we enable a circular economy for that waste stream and the sort of ripple effects or concentric circles of how we work kind of impact the customers up and down the supply chain by participating with us. So it's a fun time to be in the space. And yeah, doing doing what?
S1: You also save the planet. I mean, it's maybe worth talking about. Why?
S2: Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Uh, so like, food waste is bad because if you leave it, it degrades and produces lots of noxious bad gases. But if you process it with your maggots or your robots or whatever you call them, then it doesn't do that. So is that kind of the punch line? Yeah.
S2: And I think also what we've done is we've decentralize the capability so we can do centralized or decentralized. But by decentralizing the capability you've also reduced truck movement. You've reduced impact to trucks, uh, of trucks on roads. You've, um, created logistic opportunities to reduce the cost of waste processing. So like I said, the knock on it's a sort of a bait. But wait, there's more sort of steak knife situation where, um, the sort of ripple effects of being able to have technology that can scale up or scale down to meet the customer need doesn't just mean that you can scale that capability infinitely and meet sort of, or address any customer where they are. But it also means that the the secondary and third order effects or the supply chain up and down is also benefit benefiting and impacted by your good work. And so, um, yeah, we, we, we do a lot of things across that supply chain that improve for everyone.
S1: And maybe for those that can't get their head around what the hell this looks like. I mean, can you bring it to life? Uh, you know, because it's basically a container, but like, there's a bit more to it than that. So tell us about the actual product. It's super.
S2: It's it's it's interesting. We own probably still a few too many verticals. Um, because we are sort of commercializing fast, but we it's still stuff that hasn't existed before. And so um, effectively on the mechanical side, you've got a, uh, industrialized mechanization that, uh, holds the insects, maintains their environment, health and well-being, and then it moves them to a feeding station and feeds them autonomously each day. It also accepts and receives waste from the customer. Depending on the way that unit is set or what customers are serving, that could either be receiving a tipped wheelie bin or receiving, uh, a load from a skid steer. Um, and then it processes that waste and moves it into the what is entirely a refurb to shipping container, um, to be where the insects are held, um, on the insect side, biologically, what we've done is we've got a strain that is highly suited to high heat, low humidity. So our operational costs are lower. Um, and we also have this capacity for, um, an insect that has a shorter life cycle. So not genetically modified for sure, but it has the strain has been adapted to our use case. So our generational life cycle is a little shorter than most. Um, and we've been able to make improve the production output of that insect, um, for some time. So you've got a fair range of capabilities. Um, when you do the math, which is to match the biological with the mechanical and. And make a thing.
S1: So if I had to simplify that, then basically you have a large shipping container with a bunch of clever mechanical stuff inside, filled up with a black soldier fly larvae, and then you get your customer, or you come along with a wheelie bin or truck full of food waste and you tip it in one side. The maggots eat the food, process it, and then what?
S2: And then we pull them out the other side and we process those into fertilizer and livestock feed. So we've got got it.
S1: So you've got protein stock and some fertilizer, which is a pretty good. So you're basically you get um, a waste product that people don't know what to deal with and would otherwise just throw away into landfill and they pay you. Well, this was the original model I remember hearing. They pay you to take your raw material, and then you process it and churn out, uh, protein for pet food or, or cattle feed or whatever it is, plus fertilizer. Yeah.
S2: So we we managed waste. That's difficult to process. So yes, it's still it's the customer still needs to pay for that to be managed because it's a difficult waste stream. Yeah.
S1: And it saves the planet because you've got 97% less emissions. Yes. Yeah. No. That's great. Uh, and so maybe, um, uh, I realized I haven't gone back to ask you the founder question, but, like, where are you at? Because there were there were some good news last year in 2023. So you got some pretty high name installations underway. So like tell us about progress.
S2: So we now in, uh, six sites in four states. Um, our weather park site is still, um, moving through the day process. So it's somewhat delayed, but um, we've.
S1: That's in Sydney.
S2: So that's in Sydney. Um, we've got some new sites coming into Western Australia and uh, Victoria and Queensland this year, and then also some regional New South Wales sites, um, and three more Sydney sites coming. So yeah, we despite the delay and.
S1: The sites different sorry different model for the sites. So do you own and operate them or do you do your customers or operate.
S2: Um, some of them are on site of the customers. Some of them are um, us, um, setting up new establishments with councils. Um, so all within the same business model that we use, um, but just different new customers or new sites for existing customers. Um, I think the biggest thing is, you know, last year we were three, you know, three sites in in the beginning of the last year, we were three sites in two states, and we moved, uh, as we predicted, through to six sites in four. And so, yeah, the set goal for this year is, is just as big and probably as audacious. And so strap in folks, it's going to get exciting.
S1: No, it it's pretty exciting. Um, and let's go back to this founder question then, because, I mean, and I don't want to cover the ground that you and fed and talked about three years ago, but I suspect a lot of listeners will not have heard that one. So I think it's important that we do, uh, but maybe a bit more about the, the genesis to this, uh, because I think you were a sheep farm originally and now you're a maggot farmer. I don't know how you think about this or talk about it, but you are an, you know, very hands on founder. So tell us a bit more about that.
S2: Yeah. I think I didn't realize in the beginning that that that not all founders are as hands on. Um, but then also, I think the challenge is that not all businesses require founders to be as hands on. So, you know, I know a lot of my peers in software startups who by now, you know, we all start at the same time. But just the evolution of their organization compared to mine is very different. Um, and so, you know, you they're still they're now sort of basically raising money, working with investors and doing high level BD. And I, I think the other thing that's certainly different or where it needed me to be different, was how much money we raised. So by and large, when you think about climate tech companies, um, and certainly with this stage of traction, um, that we've got, we've not raised a lot of funds. So when you compare us to the closest competitor in internationally, I think we've raised 20 million Australian and the closest competitor to us in like commercialization and traction has raised probably over 70 million, uh, euro. And so, you know, there's been a need for me to stay a little bit more operational, um, in these last sort of five years of Gutierrez evolution. Um, just because we don't have funds to put that many more layers between myself and the rubber meeting the road, both metaphorically and physically and frankly, when you're working with, um, the sort of dynamic of the business that we have, which is, you know, we're not all in one room or, you know, either engineers and scientists. We have literally from entry level through to super sophisticated scientists and mechanical engineers and whatever. And so you've got a very diverse workforce at gotra, which means that you've got, uh, different predictability around how that workforce rotates or moves, um, what its life cycle is going to be. So, yeah, truck drivers, uh, often not long term employees. And so sometimes or if they've, they've had a delay in another area and we've got to get a truck on the road and they need someone with a medium rigid license, there are only a few of those in the organization, and I happen to be one of them. So if you're not going to put in and help when those things need to take place, then yeah, I don't know if you need to be being a CEO at all.
S1: And when did you last drive the truck or it's a.
S2: Sign potentially, of how much we've grown in the last six months for sure. I haven't driven the truck. I don't think since probably October of last year.
S1: Uh, you don't? Yeah. Well done. Yeah, yeah. That's progress. That's good. I used to love it when you saw Olympia behind this massive truck wheel on the zoom.
S2: Yeah, I've got to figure out how to make it my background. So it feels like people feel like that's why it should be.
S1: Um, it was interesting. I might just deviate down this this, um, track for a sake. So the capital efficiency of Aussie founders in terms of progress per, uh, invested, invested dollar, like a lot of international VCs say that we are amongst the best in the world. Yeah. Uh, and I think what you just said there kind of alludes to that, but, I mean, what you and what you're doing is hard. I mean, you got deep tech, you've got hardware, you've got biology. I mean, there's a whole bunch of tough stuff in there. Yeah. Uh, I mean, like any. Can you just maybe unpack that a little more around how efficient you've been with the capital that you've raised?
S2: I can there's even a spreadsheet now that actually talks to it. Um, look, I yeah. So in 2018, we raised $1.2 million. And after two years we had a prototype TRL six that cost me $650,000 to build. My CapEx spend was sorry. My operational spend for those two years was 175,000. Um, so yeah, that's that's how efficient I was in those two years. So, um, those two years got us a contract into Lendlease, Barangaroo, tower two and so on that we raised an $8 million round. And in those two years, 2020 to 2022, um, the cost of the mid went down to 560,000 for the first one. We got it down after that. Um, operational spend over two years with 3.3 million. So again fairly fairly light on um on what we, where we spend our money and what we did. And so by 2023 to 2024, um, yeah. The first the chips are now 110,000 and operational spend is 3.8. So only went up 500,000 on operational spend. But from 2022 to 23, um was 770% growth.
S1: And you did raise another round last year that was announced. I think it was August 10th million.
S2: So we did a, uh, safe of ten. Um, and so that put us to that sort of got us to the 23, 24 timeline. So yeah. So we've we've done jumps of insane amounts. So tons processed first two years, 50 tons processed second two years through 3200 tons processed last year, 10,000. And so that's huge. Yeah. So we're not where. Yeah. The insane, um, revenue increases based on how much money we've raised.
S1: But yeah. Yeah. So normally when you do a safe run like that, it's a precursor to, uh, sort of priced bigger rounds. So is that the stage you're at?
S2: That's where we're at. You don't. Yeah. Right. So it's time to sort of turn on, um, operational excellence and sort of take all the processes that we understand and learned in this last sort of 4 or 5 years of R&D and, and really turn the tap on because there are not enough commercial organics processing facilities across Australia to meet sort of climate goals, but certainly not some of the landfill bans. And then even more importantly, um, the landfills are filling up. So if we can even remotely contribute to that, um, it's it's well, in the realms of $1 billion business. And so it's the timing couldn't be much better. So I think yeah, like we get asked a lot because it's modular. A lot of um, investors, particularly in Australia, will go we're not really sure how it gets big. Right. And and it's which is an interesting, um, assessment and sort of something I think about a lot because it means I'm not explaining it very well. But, um, I think when you think about a company that can literally adapt to a customer need or a demographic need at will, um, whereas existing waste management technology, even the new stuff that's getting funded cannot and has to be in centralized facilities. Um, how big do you want me to be? Is the real answer. And so yeah, yeah, time to grow.
S1: And and how how are you managing your time? Because, I mean, it's tough being a founder and you've got a business to run, but, uh, raising a round like this is going to be pretty time consuming. So, you know, I presume you're like 80% in fundraising and 60% and operational was the balance.
S2: Yeah. Look, we've we've had to stay pretty lean on executives, um, and on team. So we're still operating with a fairly small team compared to how big we are and how many sites we operate. Um, and our executive team is incredibly small, so we're pretty flat. Um, which means that, you know, everybody's pulling still and everyone's putting their attention where it needs to be. But our team, you know, I don't know, a team that can do more with less than our team. And, um, we all just sort of move through it by helping each other. And, you know, we one of our biggest values is we're all in the boat together. So, um, one of the odd things about when people sort of come to work with us or do help advisory, they're like, always just try and talk to me. And I'm like, no, that'll be this person's job. And then they find themselves talking to sort of an entry level grad, um, who is helping with something quite critical, but where that's sort of how we've got to operate at the moment. So, yeah, look, the lights are always on and, uh, yeah, I can neither confirm nor deny if I'm getting any sleep.
S1: Yeah. No, no, I mean, I might just squeeze you a little bit on, on this one just because I think a lot of founders who are going through it wonder how the hell are going to deal with it. So, I mean, literally, how do you prioritize your time between fundraising and operational hands on stuff?
S2: There is no way to actually fundamentally prioritize it, because you can't negotiate what becomes a priority in one or the other, um, in its evolution. So operationally, you may have a really great plan in place. And, and then, I don't know, a flood happens at your headquarter office and then the team doesn't have XYZ to manage. And yes, that has happened now three times in the last 12 months. Um, and you've got to reprioritize your time that you thought you would have to work on a deck or a presentation or a speech and, and go to work and help do something else. And so I think what you've got to try and figure out and what I think maybe I'm going to speak to investors on this one as well, is and particularly existing investors whose founders are going through, um, their raises now, um, where I found the best avenues to get myself support or get myself time is when my investors, you know, the good ones, are actually recognizing where I need help and either stepping into that void or. Finding time, or finding another resource, or finding some support or recognizing, hey, if I've got this request for this individual that potentially I might have to do some of this heavy lifting because of what all they're managing. And I think that's actually a sign of where we're at right now, particularly for climate tech companies. Right. Like too many good climate tech companies went to the wall last year because they didn't have support early and often, or it wasn't recognized early and often just how momentous arrays was going to be for a startup in that climate. And we can have lots of chats about whether or not they were good companies or not. But I'm sorry that you can't actually make those determinations as easily early as with climate tech as you do with software, and we can find about that in the comment section later. But, um, I think I think the biggest thing, you know, is that a founder needs permission. And largely when they're going through a raise, they're going to need that permission from their from their existing investors because their team is going to try to give them permission. Um, but their investors are going to expect them to deliver a very polished raise process. And so if you are struggling, you've got to be able to reach out to your investors and get help. We're on areas where you've got to turn operationally, and they can take the baton for some other stuff. So, um, for me this year, I think I've been working from home a little bit more often. So that gives me a little extra time on the front and back end to get some stuff done. It also means that I just, I don't get pulled into as many smaller things as I would if I was in the office just by default. Um, and that's not then people pulling on my time. It's just like, I want to have lunch with my team. I want to say hello to people. Um, it's it's more distracting to be in an office sometimes when you're trying to get shit done. Um, and I think just I made a commitment to myself, um, because last year was a particularly tough year for me personally, um, to ride my horse at least five times a week. Um, I'm, I'm sitting right at seven days a week, much to his disgust. Um, except when I've been traveling. And so, um, that's done a shit ton for my my well-being. It's very difficult to make time to do things that require any kind of energy when you're working on a raise, because it's so tiring and you start to not want to work out or do anything that requires effort because it's exhausting. And and then you get tired and then, you know, you can't work on that thing late at night or whatever. But forcing myself to to do that and, um, making it not optional has been really helpful to my, my mental health. So that's been good.
S1: Yeah. I mean, I think this is such an important comment and thanks for being open about that. But, I mean, looking after yourself and to a large extent as a founder, leaning on others. I mean, I know you've been part of the innovation based summit, which is the late stage founder community. I mean, has that been helpful in terms of being able to, to lean on on your peers? Well, Plug's.
S2: Yes, it has. Yeah. Like for me, I've had, you know, some of my most meaningful experiences have been at those summit events. It's been difficult for me to get to them, to be fair, because it's super hard to when you make those decisions to go to those events, um, you're making a commitment to go and to then and then, but then you feel the pressure of also having to try and do some work. And so taking the time to just give to yourself feels difficult, feels selfish. But every time I've done it, it's been the right thing. Um, and it's it's certainly given me, um. It's. Yeah. Refilled the bucket made me feel get perspective because I'm with other founders who are dealing with similar shit. You know, you're not alone. Um, it's sometimes really easy to believe that you're the only person going through this stuff, or you're the only person who has challenges like you do, and that's just not true. But you live in your own bubble. And so, um, getting getting peer to peer interactions is really important for sure.
S1: Uh, and this isn't an invitation to sort of sledge the competition, but, I mean, there's been there's companies out there that maybe not done quite as well. I mean, I noticed that birdie, which is a Blackbird tech company sect, 30 people late last year. And, you know, no one likes to see that at all. I mean, it's it's just tough. I mean, but any comments in that one? Was that their product or their team or a minute. Yeah. No, we should be.
S2: No, no it's okay I'm criticizing.
S1: It's not no criticism.
S2: No it's not about criticism. And I don't know enough about the organization to have that insight as to what what went wrong. Uh, all I know is how much they raised and the ambition that Phoebe and the team had, which was, you know, relentlessly pursued and should be, um, should be championed, but you can't. You cannot run a business like this with five verticals and deliver those kinds of outcomes without being funded. And and you can't do climate tech without funding. And I think everyone's going to start to actually recognize that you can't that that is that you look at how much money they raised, that it was a standard model that we've all seen in the Australian ecosystem. And it's like, oh, we give you a little bit here, 20% give you a little bit more and we'll just see hedge our bets. And it's like you're on the back of that. You don't. And and in a hardware company of that kind, the kind of companies that we're running, like you can't give them a little bit because it like I said, for me it's like 1.2 million and managed to do all of the R&D required and keep the organization running and hold a lease, have customers, which we did from day one. All of the things that we managed to do and only spend hundred and $75,000 in those two years on opex, like, I'm not sure how people think, how much like with I don't know if people understand what that was. That's not four dudes in a we work. That's a team of six in a warehouse trying to do stuff. Right. And we literally didn't buy anything new. We bought all this stuff and refurbished it, but we were expected to deliver very commercial outcomes from those trials. And so you can't fund climate tech companies and then like, like they're software startups and then they're going to get 10,000 users. And then you can add water to that in its growth stage doesn't it's just not how it works. We've got to absolutely reimagine and re-evaluate what it means to fund climate tech. High risk comes out. Yeah. So I mean.
S1: So as well as, I mean, as well as you being like almost uniquely ambitious and, you know, I'd say talent talented. Uh, your cap table is pretty impressive, too. I mean, do you want to run through some of the people on there and who's backed you?
S2: Yeah. So we've got, uh, ramps and Giant Leap, tenacious ventures, ML investments out of Singapore under story. Um, we've got flying Fox. So yeah, like a huge amount of really amazing, um, Australian VCs. And again now with investments in Singapore that have just been, um, yeah. Like I would not be here without those funds. They've been just always backed from the beginning and and backed with everything I have.
S1: Yeah. And I mean all uh, all of them, I don't know, a couple of them, but, um, all the Aussie ones you mentioned are awesome. Yeah. I mean, great investors. You didn't mention grok.
S2: Oh, yeah. And grow. Sorry.
S1: You know, and grok because that's kind of the, uh, the I guess this not celebrity because that suggests there's no talent there. But, I mean, Mike Cannon-Brookes is a startup celebrity as well as being an awesome guy and an awesome investor. I mean, he has been, you know, he's leant in with you and and has helped you, from what I understand. Is that right?
S2: The, uh, yeah. So in the early days, the team, um, we had quite a bit of support through from them for sure. Yeah. Yeah. I don't mind, um, personally myself. So.
S1: Yeah, I mean, he's certainly a fan. Is is is what I could say. All right. Um, let me ask one more thing. Uh, you were Canberra's Australian of the year last year. What does that mean?
S2: Not a lot. You get to say it out loud when people are annoying you and you want to try and get something done. And then. And then you feel the intolerable embarrassment of being the person that you.
S1: Um.
S2: Uh, what should we talk about? To get.
S1: Yeah. Got it.
S2: Look, I think yeah, I think we had it, like, totally reset. So you can. No, no.
S1: Let's go again. I mean, I'm keen to hear about the team. Yeah. Uh, and you're working style and you know what phase you're at. So, I mean, if you go into the next phase and raise a big series, which, you know, it's going to be tens of millions, I'm sure, um, it's going to move you into a new phase. Uh, but I suspect that no is the answer. But, I mean, how do you think about R&D, which you've kind of been doing for the last few years versus sales and execution? I mean, does that balance change once you get to that series?
S2: No, it'll be technically a series B for us. I wish I'd known earlier to start calling things C plus and plus some things, but tech is a third round. But technically it's a B. Um, you know, for us.
S1: I mean, it's all semantics. I mean, the round, uh, letters just tend to mean how expensive your lawyers are.
S2: Yeah, it's I, I still.
S1: Have the letter. The more expensive.
S2: I still haven't figured it out, I think. I think the, um. You know for us, R&D can't stop because we've we've really only just touched the surface on what we can achieve. I think what changes is the type of R&D we're pursuing. So the mechanical side, um, works as described on the box. But now, you know, your level of autonomy, data collection, intelligence, um, is the next phase. And then similarly on the insect side, the kinds of things that they're going to be consuming, what kinds of insects we use those sorts of things as the next evolution. Um, so R&D doesn't stop. It's just probably a more commercially applied rather than the deep tech stuff, like, will it actually work? Um, and so it's just sort of the next step up from where we are, but, you know, to stay relevant for our customers that the R&D piece won't change or slow down. Um, but yes, we are moving well and truly into growth phase and, um, building that out. So, um, for us, it is going to be a pretty big change for the organization. We've in the executive team at the moment. We've got, you know, former Suez, uh, C-suite individuals. We've got former C-suite heads of from, um, space, uh, organizations. Um, and then black soldier fly. Um, and so, you know, having a team that light and getting them filled out with sort of some more C-suite folks and people who understand what it means to, you know, strategically grow a business of this kind, um, is where we're heading, which will be a lot of fun. And I'm looking forward to having that capability in the team. It's going to be really exciting.
S1: And will this next round allow you to go overseas? Uh, so at this time next year, where are you.
S2: Always overseas, as always on the marker. But there's such a big market in Australia at the moment. Um, you know, there's the focus has got to be expansion and taking market share in Australia. But I think yeah, we continue to look at Singapore. And I was over there recently discussing things with a variety of different stakeholders. And um, and we also have a couple of customers in the US who are ready when we are. And so, um, for me right now, though, you know, with the size of the team and what we've got going on, we're just keeping our heads down and focusing on delivering where we're at and what we're doing.
S1: Do you think Aussie founders in general are a little too eager to to go overseas? Because, look, it's tough. I mean, trying to launch in a new country is incredibly difficult.
S2: I think we ignore the fact that Australian founders have a glass ceiling above them. Right? So if you don't get a if you don't get a raise away with Blackbird, main sequence or square peg, maybe one of them, I guess you could throw in there. Then you you have to go overseas sooner or later. And as soon as you go to the US investors, the first thing they'll ask you is when will you be here? So I don't think they want to, but there is a belief, you know, outside of, uh, Australia, if you start with the US investors, which is where most people start, the first question you were asked is when will you be international? Um, and they don't consider Australia a big enough market to bother. So I think that's a barrier. And I think that's why you see a lot of Australian founders saying it. It's also, you know, it tends to be a requirement for, uh, certain stages of Australian funds from their existing investors. We must be showing that we're going overseas. Right. Because the belief is that the Australian market is not big enough. I don't think founders make that decision willingly. To be fair. I think that's something that's expected of us.
S1: Yeah. Interesting. Um, I'm keen to. I know before we switch the mics on, I asked you, did you read the latest Australian startup funding report? You just want me to say vagina? No, no, but I know you, uh, you you prayed yourself on, uh, on on on sort of articulating that now and again. Um, yeah. No, I'm keen to like two questions about the startup funding report. So one, which is probably the more important one is just around gender. And then let's maybe answer that. And I just want to ask you about deep tech. So like the stats around um, gender and the diversity of the outcomes in that report were not great.
S2: Discussed in.
S1: Any. Um, care to comment?
S2: No. I think we should be ashamed, and I can't fathom that anyone was speaking into that report without talking to that issue. And I think what's what I'm starting to see is that founders are largely becoming, uh, done with, you know, you can't you cannot ignore the investment pattern that we are seeing and the behaviour that investments are letting happen. If I wore burkini on a jet and fluffed around like an idiot, I wouldn't be funded. And I know that's true because of the feedback that I've received from investors about my saying vagina on podcasts. So, you know, if I can't say a word that's actually common nomenclature and speaks to my gender, then, um, and, but another individual can behave like an absolute press and fly about and still be funded. I don't I don't know what people expect us to think. Um, but it shouldn't be good. And, and I think what we've got to actually turn into as a country is that these statistics are actually well below, so that even worse than any other country in the world, there's a reason TechCrunch is doing a bunch of reporting on the Australian environment at the moment. Um, yeah. There's nothing that we should be feeling about it except complete embarrassment. And if we don't see a change, then we know that the status quo suits certain organisations just fine. So I think we've got to stop tolerating the vanity metrics or, you know, incubator metrics as fun metrics or any of the other things that people are using right now to validate, um, because it's just seemingly impossible based on how many female founders I'm mentoring, the Australian ecosystem that you can have multiple male funded, uh. Organizations funded in a row. Um, and the premise is either a there weren't enough women coming through. Just call bullshit on without even trying or be what I call and with absolutely no disrespect to that team, the Canada defense. So any time we're ready, we can stop using Canva as a as a rationale for the fact that Australia invests in female founders because and again, without any disrespect to that team, but they are being used as an example, um, of, of investment and, and that was stated on a panel I listened to recently last year where it was like, you know, literally the quote in statement was last time, of course, we invest in female founders. Last time I checked, Melanie Perkins was a female. That's disgusting. And it shouldn't be a statement both out of respect to her and her work, but also out of respect to the millions of other women who are trying to be funded. Like you don't get a token and say that's enough. So yeah.
S1: Yeah, yeah. Look, it is an amazing outlier, you know? So let's not, um, suggest that she hasn't done an incredible job with Canva. But you're right. Like you can't use that as the token. Hey, we're fine because we've got male and Canva.
S2: Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. Like, it's absolutely. I hate having to use it as the example because it feels denigrated and it shouldn't. But we cannot continue to use 1 or 2 women. And I get used in other smaller, much smaller circles. But you can't use me as an example either or any of the other female founders who have managed to claw their way through to a resolution or a funding round as an example, because the numbers are still too low, based on the comparative numbers of females who are founding businesses and starting businesses in in seed stage pre-seed stage at the moment, like you're just not looking.
S1: Yeah, yeah. I think, you know, this is one of the things that I think is, is amazing about you. I mean, like you're a sort of not I was going to say minority and a minority because you're doing deep take as well as being a woman phone. Yeah. And both of them are quite unusual. I mean, and so, I mean, maybe let's open up the conversation around that deep tech piece as well. Yeah. I mean, look, it's tough. I mean, like the the areas that you're playing in are incredibly difficult. Um, I mean, how much of, uh, hindrance has it been, you think being a woman in this space.
S2: I just if any for Asians. I was sort of like, took a more 90s approach to it where I was like, oh, you know, I've just got to work harder to, you know, play the game, whatever. But, like, nobody understands what the game is anymore because we're still we're still looking for source metrics in climate and hardware companies. We're still trying to validate based on founders that worked in the past. And it's like, well, if a founder was successful in the past and now you're saying, well, I'll apply that rationale to the the archetype of the family that works in the future. It's like for deep tech that doesn't even translate because the founder for deep tech is imagining a world that doesn't even exist, but that, like so you can't use the past to predict the future in that way. And so you've got just this, like layering upon layering of unconscious bias that makes it difficult. And so after a while, and particularly last year, um, I settled on a few working groups about women in startups that just got incredibly disillusioned by what the reality of what I'm looking at, which is no fun. Well, very few funds want to admit out loud that they have an unconscious bias that they cannot resolve. Um, they we're seeing women walked off boards. We're seeing women removed from their seats. We're seeing women get to a certain stage of funding and be just physically unable to cross the Rubicon. And and at that point, at some point, you've got to recognize that the sheer limited number of women that are making it are an anomaly. Not not not an attribute. And we've got to change something. Deep tech does not behave the same way as software. Again, happy to argue with you in the comments. It doesn't evolve. It doesn't grow. It doesn't change. You cannot fund it the same way. You cannot expect the founder to be the same. And so, you know, when we think about what it what is required to engage with deep tech, we can't we can't use the models of the past. But we are and and so we end up with a bunch of pivots and, you know, stuff that doesn't get commercialized. Or we fund its commercialization by funding its customer. Like, yeah, we're in a roundabout. We never get to see it. Not not for nothing. If you if it's climate tech, you've got seven years to figure it out. So I don't know, seven years. Well, we have ten years before 2030 which was considered a tipping point. So this is the decisive decade currently. If you look at the weather at the moment, I would suggest potentially have already gone. But yeah.
S1: I think the tipping point is over. I mean, I think the North Atlantic Ocean currents are shutting down the West Antarctic ice shelves. About what are we waiting for then?
S2: Ian?
S1: Oh, yeah. I'm with you. Seriously? It's it's. Yeah. I mean, look, this is the impossible question, but if you were, uh, if you had a magic wand, what would you do to to fix these issues?
S2: It's hard to know, right? Because. Yeah. And then it sounds like a cop out because I've had a lot of spicy things to say. And now I'm like, I don't know how to fix it. I think I think systemic stuff is difficult. So the first thing you have to do is wake up every morning and understand that it's true. And so at the point where you feel like you're at woke Austin, maybe drive another 100km and park there because that's the amount of sort of mindfully, mindfully, the mindfulness that you'll have to do to get past an unconscious bias. So at very first, I think, you know, all of us have to start to go, okay, how do I, as a woman, present myself in, in, in a boardroom that maybe I could amend, change or do differently to maybe speak the language in a way that makes sense? How much is that actually just maybe not doing a great job? How much is it associated with my gender? Like sort my stuff out? And then I think of the fun side. It's it's got to be better than a metric. So are you going where the women are? Are you actively trying to understand why a woman will explain her business so incredibly differently to a man just by default? Uh, are you you understanding how you digest information? Women are naturally more storytellers. Is that the problem? I don't know, like, there's a range of ways you can confront an unconscious bias in a commercial sense and revamp how you think about it. I think the biggest challenge for the Australian ecosystem at the moment is that glass ceiling. So you've got really big funds that invest really early to really late, and then you've got some really strong mid, mid, small to mid sized funds. Um, you end up a bit stuck in that ecosystem because you've if you go with a lead that's small then like is not for deep tech, you're going to have to go out of town um, later because you won't be able to get the big four to come on. Um, or you can try and get the big four and hope that you meet their metrics to carry forward. And that's not a criticism, but we all know how it works. Right. And that's that's generally how this ecosystem is playing out. Um, and so I think that's the bit that I would try to reimagine or find a way to work around or be more collaborative or, I don't know, just do something different because that's where our that's where we're getting all we're getting all blocked up.
S1: Yeah. And so in the startup funding report they had this category called deep tech. You know, and that was kind of down at the bottom end of the hype cycle. Or, you know, there's very few deals in there. And I kind of struggled with that because I even thought about gotra in that context. And you probably wouldn't have been called a deep tech company. You'd have been either a climate tech or agtech, you know, so like how many deep tech company and then the other one that kind of annoyed me was they lumped in space with defense. Now, um, garlic's like, we want to invest in space, but we don't want to invest in defense. So like we do an investment there and it looks like we're supporting the defense industry. Yeah, there's I don't know. So just the categorization. Yeah.
S2: The categories are difficult. Like deep tech I think has now become like something that like. There's a potential of something that requires a subtle level of R&D to get across line, but like, that's climate tech in a day, right? Like anything that's new, that's going to address the new world is deep tech. Um, but I think it also depends on how, you know, how your team fronts sometimes to how they present it. So, you know, for for you to be considered new tech often feels like you need to have a scientist or an engineer on your team as a founding member or coming out of a, uh, an academia or SRO type thing. Um, you know, all of those things are difficult. But it's also, again, Ian, we're looking backwards to look forwards. SpaceX has historically been considered defense. It's now telecommunications. So or and other things. But how are we still categorizing space as telecommunications as as defense. It means we're not actually realizing how fast our world is evolving and how these technologies are actually literally changing our future in front of our eyes. And we're still just using these old modalities to assess how we move forward. So I think it's super difficult. Um, and hats off to everyone in the ecosystem that's trying to solve for it. But I think we're right now, from my perspective, and certainly from a lot of the founders that I work with and know, it feels very much that a lot of the funds are all in their separate corners, and we don't have a more collaborative Australian type of an approach to how we lift the ecosystem collectively and ensure its success, regardless of the fund that funds it. Um, and I think that way, if we thought about those things, I think Australia could be way a really unique opportunity, a really vibrant opportunity and an opportunity that's different to others, but not in a way that, you know, doesn't show an economic return in investment in Australia, but that that actually enhances what we can do down here and the stuff that we do really well.
S1: Yeah. No. Here. Here to that. That's, uh, that's great insight there. Uh, okay. Like two more, uh, topics. Uh, and then I want to jump to the quickfire round. So first one, uh, I so like you think about hype cycle in the investment world and I it's it's super hot. Uh, you know, personally, I kind of feel that it's a bit more genuine than some of the previous ones, like the sort of Web3 or blockchain or whatever came before that. Um, what's your view? And I. And are you using it internally? Yeah.
S2: I, I'm just a bit over fads again. Look, I think, I think ChatGPT is going to do some really interesting stuff. I think it's going to eat a bunch of different things that we haven't thought about. Um, personally, I don't want to imagine a world where I'm. I'm reading content that was written by a machine to get me to do something that was written by machine, like I. There's a bit of old school ness going on in my world where I get wrapped around the axle on that stuff. I think there's absolutely good uses for it, but to me it's it's again, it's just a tool of a thing. It's not an actual it's not a machine that does anything. It it doesn't save anyone, solve anyone. Like, sure, it'll run a bunch of algorithms and maybe we we understand the thing better. Great. Guess what? You're still going to need a machine to action all of that data and Intel. And so I just find the constant obsession with software just just odd. I just yeah, I don't get it. I want us to focus on things that actually do stuff with the data, or create the data or use the data to actually affect change, rather than another software algorithm that needs humans to interact with it so that it can interact with itself. I just don't get it.
S1: Um. All right. So last question. Um, is around again, back to the founders. Um, and, you know, one of our, uh, our new investor at deluxe, Cam Cavanaugh, um, sent this, um, post around on WhatsApp talking about it was iconoclastic founders. Now, if you're not sure what that means, it was kind of like quirky founders with a bit of a glint in their eye. Uh, and we do reference you in this, and I'll take you back to the, um, this moment. But we were in Thredbo, uh, about two years ago at the summit retreat. So we took, I think, about 30 founders away to to Thredbo to, uh, you know, just hang out with each other and learn from each other. Um, and one of the nights we we got to know each other, and we played this game. Two truths in a lie. Uh, and I got to admit, there was a few margaritas involved, but, uh, I can't remember that. What? The three of you, there's two across the table, and your story was. I was the Kansas coleslaw wrestling champion, North Carolina. And we were like, uh, North Carolina. Sorry. Um, and we were like, well, that can't be true. So we started asking questions about it, and your answers were just so specific. But the answer is it's true. Um, which I found amazing. So I'd love to hear a little bit about that. But it did get us thinking. And this the post that cam sent around was pretty much to that point. It's like the best founders have something quirky or impressive, or just there's a glint in their eye or some discipline that just shows that they can burst through walls in order to achieve their outcome. So maybe tell us about the coleslaw wrestling. Uh, and then touching the, uh, is is that the trait that founders should have?
S2: I am fortunate to have had a very difficult life. So I was poor and living in my car, and I needed money. And there was $1,000. If you won the wrestling and coleslaw, um, event. And so I actually it's a little upside down. I didn't actually win it. The reason why it was my lie, because I wasn't the champion. I wrestled and I got, I got beaten by the chocolate pudding champion of the beat. But it was a it wasn't actually I wasn't actually beaten. I held her down twice. Um, but it was actually a setup because they never let anyone win. And this chick was six foot four and they'd never seen anyone beat her. And so she just would kept three other bucks and they kept the rest. And so there was this big uproar at Raleigh, uh, Raleigh radio the next day in, uh, North Carolina with a bunch of good old boys curling up and being like that goddamn Australian. She the one that she she beat that girl. And so, um, but, yeah, I, I wouldn't have wrestled in coleslaw, but I had no money and I had no food, and I needed to because I had a border collie and this four year old living in a key area. So I think, you know. I have a tenacity or an appearance of tenacity, because my resilience to really shit times is higher, because the worst of the worst day of my life is probably worse than most people's. And I think that's why immigrants probably tend to be founders, because they've come from, you know, places where there's less or not as much fortune or privilege. Um, they've had to struggle and fight for something and, or their parents have. And so they have that sort of past to them as a way of life. And so there's a different way or an approach to what surviving or making, making it means. Um, and I think, you know, just fortunately, my misfortune has given me that, uh, that pragmatism. But, um, you can't make it up, I think is the big one. And I think that's where sometimes it gets a little lost in the assessment of a founder. Um, you know, tenacity isn't necessarily boldness. Um, it isn't necessarily brashness or, you know, being loud or vivacious. It's sometimes the quiet ones that'll get you. I'm not a quiet one. Let's be real. But, um. No, but that, you know, I think. Yeah, you can't you can't bottle that stuff.
S1: But do you think it is broadly true that? I mean, I kind of think it is like the the best founders have something about them that is a little bit different. Yeah, you have.
S2: To because particularly in climate tech founded like imagine, a climate tech founder has seen a world that nobody else can see, a climate tech founders sitting in a black swan event every day and imagining the solution that solves for it. The problem with climate tech is that nobody agrees what that future is. If you ask ten people what a climate change world looks like, they'll give you ten different answers based on a variety of different inputs. But a climate tech founders looks forward and seeing the future and found and determined a solution for that future. And so they have to, but in some regard, not only be a contrarian, which is somewhat easy if you want to be, but they also have to be resolute to that belief and a doggedness to knowing that that's true. And, and and then I know that what's been most difficult is the ability to believe that you are right in the face of a thousand no's, a thousand people who have stopped believing in you and pulled the plug or backed away or whatever. Um, and then you've got to somehow go, they're wrong. All of them, nay, singular, still right, so still tenacity. And somehow that that specialness has got to be about staying alive and staying true to that belief. So yeah, they've got to be really fucking different.
S1: Yeah. Love it. Um. Thank you. All right. Um, and and thank you for being you. I mean, like, I think what you're doing for the community and for climate change and for women founders and deep tech founders is incredible. So, uh, you know, huge fan of what you're doing, Olympia. Um, if if someone wants to find out more or get a job or, uh, do anything else, we're working to find things easiest.
S2: Or you can get me on whatever. Cosmo.
S1: Yeah, or just Google Olympia. There's probably not too many of you.
S2: Know, I'm actually outranked. The neighbor's chick called Olympia. Now, on their you go search, which is nice.
S1: You are the only Olympia I know anyone.
S2: That matters in.
S1: Yeah. That's right. Um, now, we should do the quick fire round. I didn't actually check what you'd said before feeding, so maybe the questions are slightly different.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Oh, you got some new ones. Right. Great. So let's let's get some recommendations. So, uh, are you a book reader? If so, what would you recommend?
S2: Uh, I always recommend women who run with the Wolves. Um, I can't remember the woman's name it writes about. I read the damn thing at least once a year. And for any female, if you want to understand women and you understand, or you're a woman and want to understand yourself, knock yourself out.
S1: Women that run with the wolves. I will check that, um, podcast. Do you listen to podcast?
S2: Uh, I can't go past authentic. Uh agtech. So what?
S1: Oh that's Sarah. Sarah snorts. Yeah. She's cool. Yeah, yeah, yeah. No, she is a great investor and a great person. Uh. News source. What do you use to stay up to date? Zero.
S2: Still.
S1: Is that right? You are the first one. I think that said that. And why? Why did you choose him?
S2: Al-Jazeera is the only journalistic, uh, medium right now that's still pursuing, uh, the use of non quantitative language when describing the news. So they won't use things they don't they don't use the word like guerrilla or insurgent. They just say combatants or um, and so they don't try to lead you to an assumption through connotation.
S1: Interesting. We'll check that out. And productivity tool. How do you stay efficient?
S2: Oh I hate productivity tools. Um, when we just moved over to notion and I can't not like it. It's actually really good. Yeah.
S1: Okay. Cool. Yeah. Uh, who is your favorite CEO?
S3: Tom Loeffler from.
S2: Hobart or Kate? No. Coming from, uh, black eye.
S1: Uh, yeah. Keaton is, uh, he's, uh, one of our portfolio companies. Great guy.
S2: And absolutely super.
S1: Smart. Yeah, yeah. Love what he's doing. Um. Favorite app? What do you do for fun in your phone?
S2: I, uh, escape from reality with Instagram, which I am ashamed, ashamed to admit. Yeah. So gardening and horse riding Instagram are cool.
S1: And, uh, are you a content producer, too? Like, can we follow you and you can follow me?
S2: I'm not a I'm a terrible content producer. I'm the world's greatest boya. Um, but yeah. Yeah.
S1: Um. Yeah. Interesting. I've got to admit, I've never got into Instagram. I've tried it a few times. Maybe I just need to be younger or less dorky, or some old LinkedIn and a bit Twitter. For me.
S2: I think it's I think it's absolutely more about, um, the just the dopamine scroll thing for me. Um, and yeah, with a husband in Special Forces, I cannot be on TikTok, so.
S1: Right. Yeah, that's who we are.
S2: Yeah.
S1: I mean, I quite like the YouTube shorts. I mean, they do a pretty good job, and they seem to know, you know, what you like, you know, and it's just weird how they kind of get on this. You know, I watched one sumo wrestling match on YouTube, and then for weeks, all I saw was sumo wrestling. Yeah. And, you know, I quite liked it, but then I kind of go over it, and I think YouTube realized I was probably getting over it and then showed me Norwegian death diving. Yeah. Which like so yeah.
S2: It's like the algorithms are annoying because it's like, I don't want to be in an echo chamber. So again, I usually I'll like scroll for about ten minutes and then I'll try to change my own algorithm to something else, which is always just a big fun game. So.
S1: Yeah. Exactly. Um, all right. We're almost there. Um, TV show, what do you watch if you got time?
S2: Oh, God, I'm so predictable. Yellowstone is sort of the fave. Um, has been the fave for the minute. Um, and and I really, really like Vikings.
S1: What was that?
S2: Flying kicks Vikings.
S1: Oh Vikings.
S2: Right. Yeah. Unashamedly.
S1: And why did you like Vikings.
S2: I just I know a bit of aggression. It was well done. It's well developed but mostly the aggression a bit of violence just kept just shocked and not thinking about go.
S1: Yeah those they were they were good conquerors the Vikings.
S2: Yeah for sure.
S1: Yeah I think I've got some Viking blood in.
S2: Oh look out. You know you'd have to be because I came around and got knocked you guys all the time.
S1: And my mom's maiden name is Anderson, so she's kind of definitely something. Interesting.
S2: Yeah. Cool. Yeah.
S1: All right, last question. Uh, and I don't know what you answered the last time, but your TEDx topic, if you got asked to do a Ted talk, what would you talk about?
S2: Oh, God. Um. I think these days, I, I probably talk about I always get stuck here because it's just always, like, such a it feels to, um, so I, I reckon it'd be something along the lines of like what, what what building climate tech means and how to how to think about building climate tech. It has to be something along those lines these days. Yeah, I.
S1: Was going to say it's got to be in the climate. Oh, it doesn't have to be. I mean, I would be surprised if it wasn't in that space. Yeah. Um. All right, look, we're approaching the era, so I think we are officially out of time. Uh, I love doing it. Next time, we should do it face to face. Yeah, that'd be fun. Audio quality. It'd be better. Um. And it'd be nice to get down to Canberra. You know, there's some great deep tech startups in Canberra. Uh, awesome.
S2: Good ones. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Including, um, you know, uh, yeah. Uh, from centre. Yeah. So another, uh, woman led deep tech company, like, again, it's a, uh, deluxe portfolio. So we saw them, uh, when I was down there last week, and they're just doing an amazing job. Yeah. Um, so big fan of hers. Um, and Canberra, just generally. I mean, I think it's it's a little under some, uh, in the startup arena, but the Anu and some of those, um, uh, science schools are churning out some great companies. Yeah, yeah.
S2: No, there's some really good stuff out there. It's going to be a hell of a good year. We just need to make sure they get funded.
S1: Yeah. Agreed.
S2: All right.
S1: Olympia. Thank you. Take care. I'll see you soon. And thanks, everyone for tuning in.