Speaker 1: This is America's Trucking Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 2: Welcome aboard, Thanks for tuning in on this first show of November. I want to take a moment here briefly and talk about the devastation down in Jamaica. Up to this point, there's something like the number right now is fifty eight people that are dead, twenty eight in Jamaica and then twenty eight in Haiti. The estimates are currently Melissa has turned out to see it's not even on the radar screen anymore.
Speaker 3: And as a matter of.
Speaker 2: Fact, the National Weather Service is saying that there are no tropical cyclones in the Atlantic at this time. Cyclone activity is not expected for the next seven days. But the pictures and the devastation down there in Jamaica is just absolutely incredible. In our hearts and prayers go out to them. I mentioned this is our first show of November. It is Turkey month Thanksgiving at the end of the month of late this year, so which means we're gonna have a short holiday season or a short buying season between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But again, my favorite time of the year. It is one of my favorite holidays. I have a tremendous amount of happy memories being in the kitchen with my mom helping her cook. Going back to when I was a kid, I've mentioned before that I used to go grocery shopping with my father and enjoyed doing that. I'm one of the few men I know that actually enjoys grocery shopping. But when Thanksgiving came around, I got four other brothers and so there were seven of us in the family, and my dad's job was pretty much to keep everybody out of the kitchen so that Mom could get stuff done. But I would always notice that she'd get a little stressed and you know, trying to put together the meal, not only for the seven of us, but grandparents would come over, her mom and dad, and then usually we would have two or three other guests, and sometime even more so putting everything together and making sure everything came out on time. So when I got to be I don't know, maybe ten eleven, twelve, maybe ten or eleven, I started helping out in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: And there are benefits to that.
Speaker 2: You know, you get to lick the spoons, and you get to you know, you know, eat all the stuff as you're preparing.
Speaker 3: But I picked up a lot and learned some.
Speaker 2: Of the stuff that she does, did followed some of her recipes and helped her out and that sort of thing. My mom used to cook two turkeys, complete with the stuffing, because she would buy the hens, which are a smaller turkey, because she thought that She said that she thought that the meat was a lot more tender and that it was a lot better. So preparing two turkeys and stuffing them and getting them ready and all that was quite a task, and so I used to help her out. Now, when my wife, Tara and I got together, we decide it at one point that we were going to have the family because we'd moved in with a bigger house. We had a nice dining room, and thought, you know, rather than having other relatives and so on. My family was up in Columbus. Her family was down here, well over in northern Kentucky where I live, and so we thought, well, all right, we can't get up to Columbus, so let's have everybody here. And so we planned to have this Thanksgiving dinner. So, you know, we'd been watching all these cooking shows and everything, and you know, when you watch these cooking shows, it make it look so easy, and you think, oh, yeah, we can try that.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and do that.
Speaker 2: So we scrounged, were not scrounged around, but looked around for some recipes and got some stuff together and went out and bought everything the weekend before and made sure that we have it everything that we had the turkey and time to thought and all that sort of thing. But I was looking around for looking around for recipes and stuff. Now I had my mom's cranberry recipe. Now we used to call it cranberry's but I don't even know what to call it. It's kind of like a cranberry salad. It's not a compote or whatever, but it's it's got cranberries, it's got yellow and of course sugar in there, celery apples and pecans, and it goes into kind of a mold if it sets up properly, but even if it doesn't, it's still very tasty and very good. But a lot of times it'll mold, if you you know, because it's a bit well. I usually do a bigger batch so it molds together and looks pretty cool. But I love it, and so I had that recipe. I kind of had an idea what my mom's recipe was, because I'm having helped her in the kitchen and everything I knew she used, well, of course butter, but onions and celery. As far as the dressing was concerned, stuffings. Let's be clear here, I'm talking about stuffing. We're not talking about dressing. We're talking about stuffing in the bird. But and she would add stage to but we were looking around for a recipe, and we and Tara had this cookbook. I don't even know where we found it, where we were it popped up from. It probably came with a magazine subscription or something, and when I found it or when we saw it, apparently got gotten in some moisture and maybe fell in a sink or something like that, so it was part of it was well, you could tell it had been wet. But I started going through that and I was looking for just some maybe some dessert recipes. But I came across this recipe for a what they called a hurt herb stuffing, and then all this how to stuff in terms of when to get the bird, how long it takes to thought, how many hours it's going to take to cook it stuffed, and unstuffed, and then this recipe for this herb stuff this herb stuffing.
Speaker 3: And so got together.
Speaker 2: You know, in addition what my mom used, this stuffing has parsley and it almost sounds like a time a Garfunkle song, parsley sage, rosemary time plus Marjoram which is a spice, onions and celery. And so we got all planned ahead, and we got everything all together, and I did the cranberry stuff because it's got it. It takes a couple of days for it to set up, so you got to usually prepare that on a Monday, and then it'll firm up on between Tuesday and Wednesday, so it's nice and firm come Thursday. So we got that mostly done, chopped up, and gotten ready. But on that Monday, my wife got sick and started getting sick, and we're not really sure what it was and how bad it was going to be. So we just continue to get all the preparations done and chopped what we could ahead of time so that we'd be ready to stuff the bird on Thursday. And by Tuesday it was pretty clear that she was really getting sick and that we weren't going to be able to have this, so contacted her sister, and her sister said, well, you know, we've been having Thanksgiving up here before and we've been having different holidays, so you know, have everybody come up here. So I went ahead and I wound up flying solo that day, but it was and getting everything together. We got the shoot, I had the mashed potatoes, the sweet potatoes, and of course it did the dress, did the stuffing, and did the cranberries, and had everything prepared and then just packed it all up and took it up to her sister's house and she wasn't too far away, so it didn't it didn't cool down too much, but.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was, Uh, it was quite a day.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that when you think back on it on stuff, that when it's going to be when it seems like it's going to be overwhelming, when it seems like it's going to be a disaster. And fortunately this turned out very well, which then cave is kind of this incentive and everybody liked how the thing turned out, and so they said, all right, from now on, you guys are going to have the Thanksgiving every year. So it's evolved into that and we've been doing it for Hanush it's been about thirty four years now now as a real treat coming up here in the next segment, we're going to be talking with Michael Maddox. He is the Butterball Turkey talk line expert, and we're going to talk a little bit about Thanksgiving, how to prepare and all this sort of stuff. And my words of encouragement is that even though it may seem a little intimidating, but if you follow the recipe, if you go by the plan, it really turns out well. And when you hear people talk about how difficult Thanksgiving is, with a little bit of planning and a little bit of help, especially from the family members and taking the time to do it, it is certainly well worth it. Plus you are in control of the leftover turkey for sandwiches. Later on, I'm Kevin Gordon America's truck A Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: I mean this reward on America's Drugging Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: It's a tribute to the NASCAR champions. It is quite a weekend at Phoenix Raceway. Corey Heim posted a twelfth win of the season, sweeping the first and second stages of the truck race and led a race high one hundred of one hundred and sixty one laps to wrap up the twenty twenty five NASCAR Crash from Truck Series title in the second overtime at a race.
Speaker 5: So Thankle for a trick on Garage, Toya for taking a chance on me years ago, and Safe Flight, Mouble one, Yahoo, Celsius for every bit of their support. I just I was so stressed out and ever since we win the role vote because I knew we had to defend this insane you have been having and I've been like so terrible to just talked to as a person, been so stressed out, But this just is such a relief.
Speaker 4: Jesse Love captured the twenty twenty five Infinity Series championship, turning in the ultimate season book Ends by winning the opening race of the Exfinity Series at Daytona and closing it out with a bigger win at Phoenix.
Speaker 3: To take the title.
Speaker 4: Love passed his best friend and ten race winner Connor Zillage for the lead with twenty four to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's my best friend in the whole world. But but when not when we're racing each other, and we raced each other hard but fair, and yeah, I knew I had to take it there. I knew he was gonna put on my door. I knew how to throttle up and just try to get my nose ahead. So yeah, here it is. I mean, he was running a really good race site. My car was just better tonight and allowing me to roll the center and get off.
Speaker 3: The corner better.
Speaker 4: Kyle Larson is a two time NASCAR Cup Series champion. After finishing third and Sunday's Cup Series finale at Phoenix. It's the fifteenth series title for team owner Rick Hendrick, and Larson becomes the third driver to win multiple titles for Hendrick Motorsports.
Speaker 6: Really, I'm just features.
Speaker 7: I can't believe it. We had an average car best and then uh we had the right front go down, lost lap, got saved by CAUSA, did the wave around, and uh, unbelievable. What a year by this Indrid Motorsports team.
Speaker 1: What need This is the racing report on America's drug A Network on seven hundred WLWI Sake Denniser reporting for.
Speaker 8: A t N You're one stop for advertising called eight four four eight four four iHeart.
Speaker 9: Federal guidelines have nearly doubled the number of Americans eligible for lung cancer screening. Insurance companies are required to cover these tests for those ages fifty to eighty who currently smoke or used to smoke. Along with new treatments. Lung cancer screening saves lives if you are fifty to eighty years old, in smoke or use to smoke. Talk to your doctor about lung cancer screening. For more information and to find a screening center near you, visit ACR dot org slash my lcs. That's ACR dot org slash my LCS.
Speaker 2: I'm Kevin Lord in America struck a network seven hundred.
Speaker 3: WLW Hey folks.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned in the previous segment, We're in the We're in November Thanksgivings right around the corner twenty three days in counting some folks, including what is it? Twenty one percent of holiday hosts say they're intimidated by cooking. Since it's launched in nineteen eighty one, Butterball Turkey Talk Line, it's helped millions of holiday hosts. So to make that turkey less intimidating. So let's turn to the experts for some advice and a preview of this year's hottest hosting accessory. Michael Maddox, Butterball Turkey talk Line expert, joins me to dish on the day and serve up some tips.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the program, Michael Greedy.
Speaker 10: Thank you for having me as a pleasure to be here, and we'll be with your listeners and yourself.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: I always look forward to talking to somebody from the Turkey talk Line every year. I've been doing this for hash more than a decade. Couple of decades actually, But let's begin at the beginning here. Let's start with the game plan. What tips do you have to stress for your holiday? I found it amazing twenty one percent of people are intimidated by doing a turkey I would assume this is first timers or even people that do this on a regular basis.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Sure, it's a lot of times it's the first time could easily be seasoned veterans per se.
Speaker 11: It's he's in hosts per se because you know.
Speaker 10: Maybe have a host of this many people. We see larger gatherings together and all of those first time hosts maybe they're inviting their family or in laws or parents and those kinds of things. Like everybody, right, you want to have to get it right right.
Speaker 11: You want to make it perfect. You want to have great, great butterball turkey and the great side dishes and of course dessert.
Speaker 10: And so our goal is at ease to stress, right were don't make it easy by contacting us at the Butterball Turkey talk Line. A good trip or a trick or a tip that I share with individuals that are hosts and things like that is to you have your to do list, take some things off that list and ask friends or families ver you invited, hey, can you bring this side dishes or can you bring the dessert or can you bring beverages and just kind of lightens up their load and gives them a little more confidence so that that they can focus and you.
Speaker 11: Know turkey right, And it's to the larger size bulky. But it's very easy if you follow some steps like that.
Speaker 10: And we actually have a wonderful couple of open paand method that we use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and from experience wise, I mentioned in the previous segment that I've been doing this for probably it's been about thirty four years now, and it was amazing how the first time I did it, just following the steps, taking your time, following the instructions. How well everything turns out. Of course, you got to do a little bit of prep ahead of time. So as part of that, how do you know what size of turkey to buy?
Speaker 11: Yeah, great question, you know. So for us, we say about a pound and a half to two pounds of turkey, and that.
Speaker 10: Gives you some leftovers, and so you can kind of look and kind of think about how much you want to have.
Speaker 2: You can also go to Now wait a minute, Michael, well you can't talk about just some leftovers.
Speaker 3: We got to have lots of leftovers. We got to have plenty of turkey sandwiches.
Speaker 10: I am a thousand percent I'm a leftover pain. I'm doing different things with it. And even you know, a couple hours that takes them out of the refrigerator and have a little snack as you're getting in there getting something to drink.
Speaker 11: The little snack is always tasty.
Speaker 2: Exactly what's the best time to buy the turkey right now?
Speaker 10: Butterball has a plenty of supply for the season like that, So if you're going to go with the frozen turkey, you can buy that anytime right now and put that in your freezer. So you have it, and then also thinking about the twentieth the week before Thanksgiving, November twentieth, a butterball calls that National thaw Day, and you can take that out of the freezer, leave it in the packaging, and put it in a pan and put it in the coldest part refrigerator or a secondary refrigerator.
Speaker 11: And allowing that to thaw.
Speaker 10: And a good little rule of thumb is four pounds per day, so if you have a twenty pound turkey, takes off five days of thought. So once a butterball turkey is totally thought out, you have up to four days to use it, which is great for the holidays like that, whether it be December or for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's kind of the perfect timing because you know, again it's a balk item and it's pretty big, so you got to kind of go ahead of time and kind of clear some stuff out of here freezer or refrigerator in order.
Speaker 3: To be able to accommodate this.
Speaker 2: But it's well worth it because you want to do it properly and you don't want to speed up the process. You don't want to wait till the last minute and have that stress on top of everything else, but again being stressful. I understand you guys have partnered along with Headley and Bennett, you've created this a first for the hosts.
Speaker 10: Yeah, some fun, some fun, building some confidence for them and where the idea is getting the holiday host giving them a leg up per se. And we've partnered with them and we actually have some Thanksgiving hosting pants and these are fun pants that have our butterball blue and yellow, even have some turkeys loot the turkeys on there as well, and we're actually giving those away for free and they're going to be available on the next couple Mondays at tenth and the seventeenth of November and they're available at twelve o'clock eacht in time, and you would go to Thanksgiving hosting pants dot com you can get a free pair of these pants will bias last. And what's kind of fun is that they have uh a place for your thermometer which is extremely important, place for your towels, some other gadgets if you wish, and even has a little bottle open on there for for hydration.
Speaker 2: You're hosting pants. It was your basically built in tool belt, so to speak.
Speaker 10: One hundred percent and we even have a kind of fun as there's a little emblem on there that's actually put on their upside down on purpose, so that way you can see the twenty hundred.
Speaker 11: Butter ball numbers. So in case you got to sneak out and call us and help you solve an issue or hey, what do you think about this.
Speaker 10: Or what's your So that's why they're calling one of the one of us, one of the fifty experts here.
Speaker 3: That is great, That is fantastic.
Speaker 2: The number upside down so you can look down is kind of a little cheat sheet there.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic.
Speaker 11: We'll help helping the host.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, well, Michael Maddox as a Turkey talk line expert, what's what most common mistakes people make?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 11: And you had mentioned that earlier. It just when to all that out.
Speaker 10: And that's why I recommend that National Quality is put that in your phone, right simple, put a little alarm on your phone on the.
Speaker 11: Twentieth of November.
Speaker 10: If you're doing that in December, just kind of does a little backwards map there four pounds per day. And even myself I put that in my phone as well, and so that way to remind me, hey, pull the turkey out wherever you're going to have that, and that four pounds per day, so that throwing not calling that out early enough. We do have a cold water method which will also work, and you're still working.
Speaker 11: With that to do that. Another item.
Speaker 10: Sometimes people will stuff that turkey in advance too early, and we want to recommend that you stuff it right before you put that in the oven. You can have the stuff and pressed and ready, have the turkey ready to go, but don't stuff it into your record where you put that.
Speaker 11: In the oven.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing you're a turkey stuffer then I do like it.
Speaker 11: I'm a fan of that.
Speaker 10: You know, it depends, but you know, butter Ball has some great products because if you have a small, small gathering, they also have a bone in breast. They have some bonus breast and buy meat as well. So it depends on the You mentioned sandwiches of things. That's a great thing as well. So having that addition to the turkey, you can have a couple of other items as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems to be one of the things. Is kind of like this toss up. I love to do a poll out there, how many people prefer this stuffing the turkey, and how many people prefer not to stuff the turkey. Now, what's interesting, I'm we with the gatherings that we've had, We've we've done well, We've stuffed the turkey and then made some on the side. And I'm telling you what the difference in taste. You can put the same ingredients in, you can even add some broth to it. But I'll tell you what, you just can't beat the flavor of it being inside the turkey and getting those juices that is just incredible.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And the key of that stuff turkey is then take a little longer to cook and maybe buy that whole turkey. We actually have a little chart on there as far as timing stopped or unstuffed.
Speaker 11: Give you an idea, and you guys in the in the.
Speaker 10: End, we're looking for one hundred and seventy degrees in the breast and thigh, which is just wonderful eating quality. And then the stuffing if you still that minimum one sixty five, which is wonderful for that stuffing minimum one sixty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And with the various thermometers and stuff and the availability of the cooking tools, it's not hard to figure that out. I mean you just do the you know, stick the thermometer in there and know and then you know when to gauge, and it'll, I mean it'll it is right on the money. When you follow the instructions and do it to the proper temperture, it's going to come out moist. And I think that's one of the things a lot of people have a problem with Michael Mannix and Butterball Turkey Expert talk talk line Expert. A lot of people are intimidated because again, a lot of turkeys sometimes are dry. But if you follow the instructions, it's going to come out great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: We even you have a how to videos at butterball dot com on where to probe with the thermometer in the different areas of the leg and the high and the deepest part of the breast as well as the stuffing. So if you're not quite sure, go to butterball dot com and you can see some videos how to do that and just give you kind of that confidence and everything right.
Speaker 2: And what are some of the strangest questions you guys have gotten over the years.
Speaker 10: I would say I had a couple that had called and they were hosting for the first time and they had family over and everything.
Speaker 11: Like this, and they weren't sure. And all of a sudden I was.
Speaker 10: Talking to them, and again they got very quiet, almost a whisper. I could barely hear them. They were hiding in the closet behind the winner coach, asking me questions because their in laws that just arrived and they weren't sure about how to cook it properly and everything.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's great.
Speaker 2: Well, I know our time is short, So where can my listeners go to learn more about this?
Speaker 10: Sure, you can contact us at Blaine hundred Butterball Party top line, and we're opening opening to the beginning November all the way up to December twenty fourth, from eight am to eight pm Central Standard time. On Thanksgiving, we're going to be open longer for that day. You can also go to butterball dot com, and you can also go to Hosting Thanksgiving hosting pants dot com. Those free hosting dants Walt supplies last on the tenth and the seventeenth at noon Eastern time, they've come available.
Speaker 3: And you can do that online.
Speaker 2: There will be a link there on the line on the website toward of those Okay, yeah, if you can.
Speaker 10: Go to thanks give me hosting dance dot com or if you go to butterball dot com there is a link to get you there as well, but that will just be a weals of bly last on the tenth and the seventeenth, those Mondays.
Speaker 2: Coming up, I've got to try to get a pair of those, yes for sure as well, Michael Maddox. It has been great talking to you, Michael Maddox, Butterball Turkey talk line expert. All the best and I hope you enjoy the day and I hope you have a stress free holiday as well.
Speaker 11: That they're a ball.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Kevin, to you and your listeners, I wish you a great holiday season and enjoy some butterball.
Speaker 2: Turkey exactly, absolutely my favorite day of the year. Michael, thank you so much for joining us. I certainly appreciate it you too. Thank you all righty, I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: Traffic and Weather News Radio, seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: The government shutdown enters, it's thirty fifth day. Well if your twelve thirty three parts, I'm Lee Mawen breaking now forty two million Americans wondering where their next food will come from feder where workers continue to wait for the paychecks. And now across airports nationwide they're dealing with major air traffic control staffing shortages.
Speaker 13: Thirteen thousand controllers and more than sixty thousand TSA agents are not getting paid, many now calling out sick. Rebeca Pearson traveling from Colorado to Grand Cayman with her husband and three young children.
Speaker 6: We missed our flight yesterday, so when they told us to come back, they said get her five hours early.
Speaker 13: In the Northeast, it was the worst weekend for air traffic control staffing since the shutdown began, thousands of delays stacking up at Newark JFK and Philadelphia.
Speaker 8: From Lakewardia Airport in New York, ABC's went Johnson.
Speaker 12: Now the lateis forecast from the Train Heat and Cooling Weather Center on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: And into Tuesday morning, We've got clear and cold conditions seven am temperature at thirty five. Our election day is going to be filled with sunshine, then a few clouds, a high at sixty one at night, clear skies, and we dropped to forty seven from your severe weather station. I'm nine first warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: It's clear and forty degrees.
Speaker 8: A driver in a two vehicle crash last month and I seventy five has been arrested. Paris Cooley's blood alcohol level was measured at point three forty four when the crash happened October fifteenth at the Glendale Milford Road exit on I seventy five South. Cooley also had his two kids inside the car during the crash. He was arrested over the weekend for child engagement and OVII charges, and Cooley was slated to impeer in court yesterday. Our next update is that one I'mley Mawen News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Trucks cost of fortune, and if your job is to keep them running, you need assurances that the fluids you put in them are the right ones.
Speaker 15: Starfire forecast for the Try State and the rest of the country. In the Try State over night mostly clear, the low down to thirty six. Clouds will increase Tuesday and high of sixty one. Sunshine Wednesday, high of sixty eight. More Sunday skies Thursday with highs since the upper fifties, then rain enters the forecast Friday a high of sixty four. Nationally, the northwest and northern California seen unsettled weather return with an increasing threat for heavy rain Tuesday into Wednesday, while the coast of northern California will also see strong winds.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred wl W. I'm Kevin Gordon. This is America's struck A Network. By the way, if you miss their previous segment or any of our shows, hit up that iHeartRadio app Of course, that's brought to you by our friends at Rush Truck Centers.
Speaker 3: We certainly appreciate.
Speaker 2: That that was such a whot to speak with Michael Maddox, Butterball Turkey talk line expert. And I'm telling you during the entire time and getting ready for it, and talking getting ready for the interview, all the flood of memories of over the Thanksgiving years, going back to with my mom and then the Thanksgiving we took over, and I guess I failed to mention first I was looking through my notes. I failed to mention that my initial solo where my wife got sick and I had to wind up doing it by myself. We were cooking, We cooked for twenty people that year, and I was absolutely shocked exactly how well it came out. I mean, you know, again with a little bit of planning and a little bit of forethought ahead of time. Then over the years, last few years, her son, who's a chef, decided that he was going to take it over and do it, and of course him being at a certain facilities and he'd having to prepare the stuff for that facility for that day.
Speaker 3: We would go over there or then eventually go to his house.
Speaker 2: For the last couple of years it's been he's taken over the duties, but he moved out of town and his daughter is still living here and she can't get off. So he said, hey, how about if we have it at your house? And it's fine. So we're back at it. We're back cooking the meal this year.
Speaker 3: So I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a lot of fun, just all the like I said, all the memories of all the different times and the actual preparation and putting it together and then having everybody all around the table and the enjoyment of the day, and then of course the leftovers.
Speaker 3: Can't forget the leftovers. But it was always a lot of fun. I always look forward to it every year.
Speaker 2: So again my thanks to Michael Maddocks and I hope you got a lot out of that. I will be posting some information about that on Facebook in terms of where you can contact. Of course, you a Butterball Hotline and I'll tell you what it is a great resource. They will walk you through just about anything, and there's how to videos as Michael mentioned, and really great.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, I'm really getting excited.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can tell, but I'm really getting excited looking forward to Thanksgiving holidays, and I hope you are too.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of you that are out on the road. You have to postpone your things. I know a lot of people that are in the sort of food service industry and it's kind of difficult when that is the big day. Then you have to kind of plan your holiday different from the actual Thanksgiving celebration.
Speaker 3: And those of you that are out there on the highway.
Speaker 2: Those of you that will be on the road making sure that our holiday that we have the food on the shelves that we can get in order to be with our families. I hope a lot of people out there appreciate it. When you're traveling back and forth, if you're going to visit relatives and you see these trucks on the road, know that they are out there working so that you can have a great holiday. And of course they have to postpone theres either have there's the weekend before or then the weekend when they get back off the road. So again it's always a great time of year. But appreciate all those restaurant workers, service industry people that actually have to work on that day, So hats off to them and knowing full well that they're going to have to celebrate their days different than the rest of the country. Last week we got the US weekly jobless claims and again this is what the third or fourth week that the government shut down now in a full month. And again I can't emphasize that. I can't I've mentioned it before, but I've been interested in the fact that these numbers they keep talking about, Well, you got to depend on the Bureau of Labor Statistics for this, and you got to depend on the Conference Board for this information, the Census Bureau for this, and all this government stuff. And I keep emphasizing the fact that the federal Reserve has twenty three thousand employees. Now, I don't know what the hell they do, but they sure aren't doing anything for our economy. They're not doing anything in terms of well, I'm sorry, and let me take that back. They are doing something for the economy, they're screwing it up by having our.
Speaker 3: Interest rates to darnheigh.
Speaker 2: I keep emphasizing the fact that if you compare our interest rates to the rest of the world, to the Western world, to the democracies out there. You look at Japan, you look at Europe, you look at their their exchange, their exchange rate, and their overnight funds rate, it's all in the one and a half to two percent range. So ours at three point seventy five to four percent, is almost double that. And if you're talking about spurring the economy, which we will be talking about in some of these stories, you know, this is the thing that would spur the economy. And every time they talk about these things, I'm surprised that, you know, it doesn't sink into their thick heads at the Federal Reserve. And that line, Jerry Powell finally decides that okay, you know, he claims their mandate is to make sure that inflation is under control and that the job market is steady. Well, the way you keep inflation low, I think I said inflation low. Keeping inflation low is making sure there's enough productivity. If the amount of productivity is high and the demand is steady, those prices go down. And if the interest rates are low, people have more money in their pocket. They can go out and buy things. They can go out and buy a car, they can finance an equipment for their business, or buy a new truck, or buy some trucks for a fleet. Those are the things that stimulate the economy. And then they claim that their other mandate is to make sure that the job market is strong. Well, if people are buying stuff, that means stuff's going to have to be made. If stuff's going to have to be made, there's going to have to be employees there to make that stuff. And once the stuff is being made, then it's got to be transported by people employees. Then it has to go to the warehouses, go to the stores, and the people in the stores have to be there in order to do so. That grows the economy. And I don't understand why this doesn't get through their thick heads, but again again a big proponent of supply side economics. Number of Americans filing for applications for unemployment benefits fell last week, economists estimated on Thursday. Now again this is falling. Okay, it's all within a range. So what happened to all this stuff about oh, if terriffs going to effect, if Trump does, is on Liberation Day when you saw what the well on Liberation Day April the second, the stock market tanked, I mean it went down what more than a thousand points and everybody was in a panic. And now, including that downturn, just since the first of the year, the stock market is up thirty four percent, in record highs day after day after day. Maybe a pause here, but they've been setting record high not for the week, not for the month, not for the year.
Speaker 3: But historically in the history of the stock market.
Speaker 2: And then you look at unemployment, and they're claiming that, oh, well, there was going to be all this unemployment, there was going to be a recession.
Speaker 3: As a result of these teriffs.
Speaker 2: And yet we've got unemployment well within the range, and the initial job of claims all within the well. The range that has been there has been for a number of years. Let's see where was I here? Assessmated Thursday and I see national filing application. Unemployment benefits fell last week. Economists estimated on Thursday the new job opportunities for those who are laid off remained scarce amid reluctance by businesses to boost hiring because of interest rates.
Speaker 3: I'll add that JP Morgan calculated.
Speaker 2: Let's see initial job as claims for state unemployment benefits dropped to a seasonally adjusted two hundred and nineteen thousand for the week ended October the twenty, down from two hundred and thirty two thousand the previous week. Estimates from Goldman Sachs and Nationwide were within that ballpark. Claims data were unavailable for Arizona, Massachusetts. Massachusetts again was late last last week with their numbers and now added to the list as Washington d C. Conomists made assumptions for the three in line with what the Labor Department would normally do when data is not available. Despite the US government being shut down for almost a month, states continue to collect the claims data submitting it to the Labor Department. Economists are accessing the data and using seasonal adjustment factors. The government published early this year to make the weekly claims assessments estimates, so they're able to do this. We don't need to wait on the Bureau of Labor Statistics to do this. Goldman Sacks, JP Morgan, I think City Bank last week, that'll mention them here. But Goldman Sacks and Nationwide are doing this and pretty much doing a fairly decent job. Claims that current estimate levels suggests the labor market remain stable and would argue against additional interest rate cuts from the Federal Reserve. Says who it's a good time to stop here, because we'll pick this up on the other side. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: This is Jim Hello, gym started.
Speaker 2: This is America'structing Network, seven hundred WLW talking about this unemployment claims and again, one of the sentences in here labor market remains stable and would urge against interest rate cuts from the Federal Reserve. Why if you're trying to spur the economy. And as we talk about when we talk about oil and gas prices, they always say, and it's like so many of these articles if you read them on a regular basis. If you fall all of this particular economic news and stuff, you will notice that it's like they have this boiler plate story available, and all they do is they go back in and they drop in the current numbers. Because a lot of the phrases are the same, a lot of the stuff that they talk about is the same. Whenever they talk about interest rates and they talk about how they will say interest rates, having interest rates low will stimulate spending by the consumer and actually increase demand as far as the oil is concerned, which could lead to additional oil prices. Now that is from an investors standpoint, somebody who has invested in the oil market and so on. For us having the demand there and with the supply available that is available, those prices have been coming down, as we've been seeing through some of the numbers. But again, it seems like every time somebody tries to, well, gee whiz, maybe we want to slow this down over.
Speaker 3: Here, put a little bit of pressure over here, they.
Speaker 2: Wind up brewing things up instead of the market taking care of itself. And as they keep talking about in here, they keep talking about in all these different stories, how the American public is resilient unbelievable. Getting back to this particular story again, job was claims fall economists estimate they'd gone down from down to two hundred nineteen thousand, down from two hundred and thirty two thousand the previous week, or in Klatchkin financial market economists at nationwide. This will boast through the view that those at the FED who think another rate cut isn't necessary in December. US Central Bank on Wednesday of last week cut benchmark overnight interest rate to another twenty five basis points to three point seventy five to four percent range. FED Chairman Lion Jerry Potwell I put Lyne Jerry in there. That wasn't part of the story, but it should be told reporters the further reduction of the policy rate in the summer meeting was not a foregone conclusion. No materials shift towards employment contraction, which is what they said was going to happen as a result of tariffs. They also said that there was going to be rampant inflation, that there was possibly going to be a recession. None of that's on the horizon right now, unless, of course, you listen to the spoon federal urgitators in the mainstream media, who, in my opinion, keep trying to manufacture a recession. But we're not letting them have We're not letting them, We're not having any part of it. Still, there has been a pickup and layoffs, with economists blaming low demand for labor because of economic uncertainty, tariffs on imports, and companies embracing artificial intelligence. Let me just go off on a little bit of tangent here. I've been seeing a lot of stuff, you know, obviously, in artificial intelligence has been in the in the discussion over the last several weeks, and a lot of companies are moving to that and trying to eliminate different physical presence of employees and replacing that with artificial intelligence. A little bit of word of caution out there. I've been seeing some stuff where people have relied on some of the chat, GBT, GPT and some of these other things for their information or to write certain documents for them, and some of the stuff, and with apparently, I guess people have assumed that this information is right, because after all, it is artificial intelligence, right, And so what they found is that some of this information has been wrong, and they've been quite embarrassed in their presentations that you know, making a proposal or something and your information is wrong and that people know it's wrong.
Speaker 3: That's pretty embarrassing.
Speaker 2: So this this business, you know, artificial intelligence, it's a matter of algorithms. It's a matter of input. And the old thing, going back to the days when computers were first being talked about, it's garbage in, garbage out. Once you put the garbage in, unless if you change it, you're just gonna get garbage out.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: It depends on who's programming this, what type of schematics they're putting into it. And I'm telling you what, when you start using stuff, I don't care whether you're trying to use your remote on your TV and coordinate between your streaming service and your cable service, or if you're trying to do a Bluetooth connection, as I have done in the past, trying to maybe record an interview that I can't. You know, you can't interview somebody at midnight, So a lot of times if they're unavailable, I'll record the interview ahead of time, so I have to do that via Bluetooth and trying to get that up and running. My wife and I will joke all the time about you know, stuff having to do with the computer where the computer freezes, and we'll say the path thing between us is thank god we're not in an airplane, because by the time we get this rebooted and get back up and running either the television, the remote, coordinating these things and whatever, we'd have crashed by then.
Speaker 3: And so we get more and more reliant.
Speaker 2: I saw a story the other day where one of these agencies they say there was a glitch was at ASW that had overnight. They had this glitch because they instead a lot of companies, instead of having their own servers, they are runting space on an Amazon server and apparently supposedly, you know air quotes, there was a glitch with that. Some people claim that it possibly was hacked. But something like between thirty three percent and fifty percent of communications back and forth dropped off. People couldn't make transfers, couldn't make money transfers. People that people who haven't actually rely on the software to control the temperature of their beds. The beds actually got up to one hundred and ten degrees and they couldn't get into their phone and they couldn't you adjust it they couldn't change it. I guess they would have had to have unplugged it at some point in time to be able to sleep. But this reliance on technology, and I believe it was last week when we were talking to Louis Pugh about some of the technology and how some of this stuff is supposed to work but doesn't. He goes and they think you're going to have a driverless vehicle, a driverless truck in the next two to five years, are you insane? And me, I cannot imagine ever getting in a car that does not have a driver. I'm sorry that I don't believe in machinery that much. So anyway they're talking about here, so some of these companies are relying on artificial intelligence, and so they'd be thinking in terms of laying their employees off or laying people off. I'm telling you what, I think this is going to be a if people are If companies are jumping onto this to save a few bucks, they are making a big, big mistake because the human element, the intelligence of human beings is far superior to some nameless, faceless program computer that is going to be dictating. They're seeing Amazon laid off talking about cutting up to fourteen thousand jobs rooms global corporate workforce. Laughs are also happening automobile sector. American companies have announced more than twenty five thousand job cuts this month. According to Michael Hanson economists at JP Morgan, labor market will appear far away from the material still appears to be far away from material shift towards a contraction and employment that might signal an imminent recession, despite some recent headlines. So we're far away from any kind of a recession, but they still want to throw that out there.
Speaker 3: Let's see, Well, regular.
Speaker 2: Claims remain likely estimate the more more than one hundred and fifty thousand workers as far as now get this, as far as the federal workers are concerned, they estimate that over one hundred and fifty thousand dropped off the payrolls. But according to the numbers the analysis, because they're in a separate group and that's reported separately rather than the normal jobless claims. But that number that reports the federal job jobless claims, initial job as claims only went up ten thousand last month. So where's this one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: I don't know. So they're going to have to dig it a little bit more into that. By the way.
Speaker 2: Also, I want to mention also before we get out of here, America's truck a Network supports a mission or res across America. You can hear us every truck and Tuesday at five am and ten am Eastern on REES across America Radio, available on the iHeartRadio app. Search the word rese for Rees across America Radio. And thank you to all our truckers who support the mission of Reese across America. So again, folks, we're up against clock here, but I do want to say that oil and gas markets are pretty much holding steady. There's been a little bit of a shift, not much increase and so on. Things are pretty much holding steady. We'll get into a little bit more of that tomorrow. Well, folks, that wraps it up for us. Stay tuned for EDIE Radio Top the Hour. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's truck In Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: It's Election Day America. With the top of the Hour reports, I'm Lee Mowing Ricky Now