Speaker 1: The quest for the three feat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're going to running back.
Speaker 4: To get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven d and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vaseas.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: After the Dodgers complete the three games sweep of the Diamondbacks to begin the twenty six campaign three to two. The final score tonight at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. Phone lines are open at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. You know what's incredible is the Dodgers sweep the Diamondbacks and Showho Tani only had one hit in the first three games of this series. Freddy Freeman tonight broke out after hitting the ball hard. Not a lot to show for it, but he continues his process and look, by the end of the year, Freddy Freeman will be hitting two ninety five, three hundred with you know somewhere between thirty seven doubles and forty one doubles, and tonight Freddy Freeman had three hits. He almost had a fourth if it wasn't for the ball just dining out there in right center field, he would have had his first home run of the year. But he drove in his first run of the year in the seventh inning to chip away at the Diamondbacks lead. That point it was two to one, and then walk off will Smith, who has become, in my opinion, the most clutch batter in all a Major league baseball hard to argue when he got called up in twenty nineteen and the most memorable weekend of twenty nineteen was called walk off Weekend and will Smith hit a walk off home run that weekend against the Rockies. Remember Verdugo baty walk off weekend against the Rockies in twenty nineteen. Since then, Will Smith, including that weekend in twenty nineteen, has five walk off home runs in the regular season. He has fifty three go ahead home runs in the regular season, not to mention how clutch he's been in the postseason, including the go ahead home run in the eleventh inning in Toronto and last year's Game seven World Series. Without that home run, who knows where that World Series goes. And tonight was that Bobblehead Night giveaway. And oh, by the way, it's Will Smith's thirty first birthday. So Saturday night is Will Smith's night here in Los Angeles as he hits a huge, two out, go ahead, two run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning, which was set up by out two out walk by Mookie Beds. Give him a lot of credit too, So it's not always just about the home run. It's about what's happening in front of Will Smith or whoever hits that home run, and Mookie a great at bat to draw that two out walk to keep the line moving and have Will Smith and Freddie Freeman have the opportunity to come up in that bottom of the eighth inning. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Will Smith doesn't love to talk, but he's gonna have to talk tonight. He's speaking to the media in front of his locker on sports and at LA.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, he you know, he's always been good. We always talk about stuff. Yeah, he's give me the day off. I just kind of dropped the bubble hood card if my bellhead tomorrow he let me in there.
Speaker 7: Special?
Speaker 5: Was it get the go ahead home run your bubble tonight and birthday?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, regardless of you know, being my bibblehead night or anything. It's it's cool to put your team ahead. I'm gonna win get this week, that's more. You know what I was more excited about imertally to people that you spoiled a lot of pitches, kind of wait until you saw the one that you wanted. Anyway, it's pretty emblematic of this entire lineups approach.
Speaker 7: What do you think goes into that?
Speaker 6: You know, a lot of hard work. Uh, you know, I kind of haven't felt great for a week or so, so I put a lot of swings in, you know today in the cage, a lot of work with the guys, hitting coaches. You know, let's kind of reap the benefits a little bit on that, I guess, but you know, just just trying to get back to who I am. You know, controlled zone, you know, spoil good pitches, you know, drive the pitches you should. That's who we are. That's that's the Dodgers, that's you know, we preach day in and day out, you know, one through thirteen guys who was on the roster, and uh you know, that's that's how I win ball games. Can you take those cold pictures?
Speaker 5: Ever before that swing was sort of telling you about how you're sort of seeing where you have.
Speaker 3: That's what we're bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you know, he's he's good. He throws hard, he's got to get slider, you know, too, fastball kind of guy. H Yeah, you know, I think I was just kind of building confidence throughout the day. You know, coming in I was working a lot in the cage. It was kind of lacking it. But I know, you know, in the game you can just go compete and you know, after a few good takes, it's kind of like all right, kind of seeing it better, kind of stick to you know, seeing the ball a little bit deep, knowing I can still catch up to a hundred and uh yeah, I got the brow on the ball.
Speaker 3: What's the mood, the attitude in the dug out in the late.
Speaker 8: Innings, you know, knowing you guys have done this so often before.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think there's just you know, we never feel like we're out of it. We keep we keep taking good at bats, you know, keep believing in each other, keep believing someone's gonna come up with a big hit. The bullpen always keeps us in it. You know, they're so good down there and you know, not letting the game get away. Yeah, it's just kind of a team effort.
Speaker 3: All right. There's Will Smith. Tonight's heero.
Speaker 2: It seems like every night there's somebody new, especially on this loaded Dodger team. Will Smith in that at bat against Juan Morio in the bottom of the eighth inning with two outs, he described it perfectly. He took two sliders in a row after being down two in the count, fouled off a couple of ninety nine mile an hour fastballs, and then on the seventh pitch of the at bat, timed it up perfectly and hit it four hundred and fourteen feet one hundred and five miles an hour off the bat and the Dodgers had a three to two lead on Will Smith's thirty first birthday, on Will Smith's bobblehead night. So if you're at Dodgers Stadium, you don't want to go anywhere. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a fighter, all right. Besides Freddie Freeman and Will Smith, Kyle Tucker saved a big run when he robbed gabrielle Moreno of what would have been a home run over the short fence in right field.
Speaker 3: That was in the fifth inning.
Speaker 2: Tucker in this series already as made a huge difference defensively. He came through with the infield in last night and delivered the go ahead base it in the eighth inning, So he's made his presence felt. But how about Edwin Diaz in that ninth inning tonight and last night? Did you ever waiver that he wasn't going to get those three outs? And I know the Diamondbacks hit a few balls hard to the outfield, but they were outs, and it's a big outfield here at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers have a bona Fie closer for the first time in five years since Kenley Jansen saved three hundred and fifty career saves. And Kenley Jansen's prime, I know he might not like to hear this. His prime was probably twenty fifteen to twenty nineteen, and during those years.
Speaker 3: There was no.
Speaker 2: Doubt when you heard California Love, the Dodgers were going to win that game. He was going to get it done. There was gonna be no doubts about it. And these last two nights with Edwin Diaz in the bullpen coming out to save games, you have that same feeling again for the first time in five years. That's a very different feeling than trying to mix and match and match up. There's something to be said about guys that know how to get three outs in the ninth inning. It's not made for everybody. I think we've all witnessed that, whether it's on the Dodgers or other teams. Yeah, there's three outs. Yeah you might be facing the same hitters. But some guys can't handle the ninth inning. But Edwin Diaz did it on the biggest stage in New York, and he's doing it on the biggest stage. This is the brightest lights in baseball with the Dodgers, and he hasn't flinched. Just feel that feeling, not only the timmy trumpet, which is a great feeling, the light show, everybody's excited. I love the entertainment value of all that. But once he's on the mound. His heart rate is very low. Ever see him get too rattled or the game speeds up, and that's a closer in the ninth inning. That feeling has not been felt by anybody with the Dodgers in five years since Kennley Jansen was here. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight. Hi, Noah, you were at Dodger Stadium. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: What's up, David?
Speaker 9: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Phenomenal second Dodger Talk of the day and going strong on adrenaline.
Speaker 9: That's good. So I was gonna talk about Will, but now I'm like ready to overreact about the bullpen.
Speaker 3: Overreact in a good way, in a good way. Yeah, go ahead, overreact.
Speaker 9: I just feel like the with Edwin Diaz being the closer, pressure goes off. Bessie Tanner, Scott Jack Dryer, all those guys can turn into like good setup men and they can breathe knowing that Edwin's gonna plan during the ninth.
Speaker 3: Well pump the breaks.
Speaker 2: Vesia is the highest leverage of highest leverage relievers. Left you Alrighty, that's not the guy I was talking about. He can get outs in the ninth inning. But yeah, it allows the Dodgers to deploy him earlier in the game to get outs and also allows them to deploy Tanner Scott in different innings.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Noah, he just when you have a closer like Edwin Diaz, similar to when Kenley Jansen was here. If you're Dave Roberts, you start counting outs backwards. You know you got three and if you have a lead by the sixth or seventh inning, you're counting outs. Let's go to Bob, who is at the game tonight. Hi, Bob, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Uncle Daves.
Speaker 10: What a knight to be out back at Dodgers Stadium. You know you knew it was gonna be a good night. Started out getting all the staff there rings, which was exciting to see mister Bobblehead on his birthday does his job.
Speaker 7: Edwin Diaz comes out.
Speaker 10: It taught you how to tape blow trumpet out of the outfield up. The place was packed. It was absolutely electric. You know how you always say when show Hay is pitching, it's an event. Tonight Dodger Stadium. This year first three games. This was an event tonight. It was packed, the place was electric. And when Will popped off, Man, what is it? Is it guys named Will Smith like slapping guys around in public in front of everybody. I mean, Will just slapped that ball out. It was exciting, man. I was pumped to be there, happy to be back at Dodger Stadium with his team. Fun night all around.
Speaker 7: Dave really really enjoyed it.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: All right, Bob, thank you for the phone call. I'm usually the guy that crosses that line. You did a great job of doing it this time, So thank you, Bob. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, Will Smith's career walk off home runs in the regular season. He did it twice in twenty nineteen. Hector Narris. He got him on June first, and then the walk off weekend off of Scott ober of the Rockies. Pinch hit walk off home run July twentieth, twenty to twenty one off of Tyler Rodgers to beat the Giants. Pinch hit walk off home run twenty twenty five. Last year, in fact, beat Robert Suarez. Remember that of the Padres pinchhit walk off home run and John Curtis. How about that four of the five walk off home runs in his regular season career. Will Smith has delivered as a pinch hitter twice last year off of Suarez of the Padres and John Curtis of these Diamondbacks. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Malibu. Chris, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Chris.
Speaker 11: DV Doing really good? Buddy. Hey, I'm the guy that always goes to the pegros and money like showcases and brings the bobs at tequila and stuff and everything. So I just want to idd where's mine?
Speaker 3: I haven't got one in a long time?
Speaker 11: You know what I know? Did you ever get to one? I did give him? Did he ever give that tea?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 11: Anyone to the hill? I could probably add that to the hill. But anyways, what I wanted to say tonight is I've been a Dodger fan for years. I'm sixty six years old, and I'll tell you what this is. I believe, top to bottom the best Dodger team ever. I mean, when you just said that thing about the reliever, you know, with Evands and all that, there's no holes here. And what's crazy is they haven't played that good at all in these first three games, and you still knew they were going to win. And so it just feels really different this year that like, there's no holes in this team. And so it's just a very you know, exciting feeling to know that this is an exciting time. This is the best team, in my opinion ever for the Dodgers. What do you think about that it has? Which opinion?
Speaker 2: It has the potential, has the potential, But they got to win the World Series to be considered in that group.
Speaker 3: So let's let the season breathe a little bit, Chris. But I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I don't see any vulnerabilities right now. And it feels like the Dodgers definitely were in a different weight class than the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: Poorly constructed team.
Speaker 2: You're in the same division as the Dodgers, and you don't have a high leverage reliever in your bullpen. And oh, by the way, I did not hear a lot of clapping coming out of the far booth here in the press box tonight eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse with you on Dodger Talk. After Will smith two out, two run home run in the eighth inning gave the Dodgers the lead and the win three to two. They sweep Arizona in the opening series of the season. They will take on the Guardians of Cleveland on Monday night to close out this first homestand let's go out to Inglewood.
Speaker 3: Joseph, you're on Dodger Talk with David vass Hi.
Speaker 8: Joseph, Hey, David, So, I'm just calling it.
Speaker 5: I'm incredibly excited for the season. I kind of agree with the last caller, but of course got to let the season breathe a little bit before before saying all that. My take is that Kyle Tucker is gonna have a career here. He doesn't have to be a superstar on this team. He's you know, I think he's gonna he's gonna best his his RBIs and run scored easily. I think he he has, you know, one hundred and fifteen runs scored, one hundred and thirty five RBIs this year. It's gonna be an incredible year for Kyle Tucker. And I'm just excited to see it. That's that's all I gotta say.
Speaker 3: All Right, I like that thinking.
Speaker 2: I mean he should considering he's sitting behind show hey Otani and in front of guys like Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman and Will Smith. So uh yeah, this would be the team to do all that kind of stuff. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have one line open. After the Dodgers sweep the Snakes with a three to two win. And let's remember this as well. I mentioned this during the Clubhouse show. Were down early in all three of these games and came back. They exploded for two four run innings on opening night. Last night they had a four run inning thanks to a three run home run by Mookie bats and a solo shot by Alex Freeland in the fourth inning. And Kyle Tucker with a big late hit last night in the eighth inning. So Arizona had a small lead, but the Dodgers came back in all three. They were down two nothing early and all three of these games and they came back. It just feels like, as our old friend Nick Coletti liked to say, the games are too long for the opponent. And that was evident in these three games against Arizona. Let's go out to Nathan, who is at the ballpark tonight. Hi, Nathan, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: So David, how's it going, Hey, when.
Speaker 2: You're hosting Dodger Talk during the golden era of Dodger baseball, It's all.
Speaker 7: Good, awesome, awesome.
Speaker 12: I wanted to talk about I personally think, well, Will Smith will definitely have a better season and Will I'll perform Cayl Rowley.
Speaker 7: I want to know what your opinion is on that.
Speaker 3: Say it again, I think Will Smith is going to outperform Cal Rawley this season.
Speaker 7: What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: I think I'm not saying that he's going to hit sixty home runs. I mean, cal Raley probably hits forty, but that's not Will Smith's game. If I had to choose between those two guys as far as a hitter, if I need, I'll go this way, Nathan. If I needed a hit with the game on the line, I'm taking Will Smith over cal Raley. And I think it spoke volumes that. In a winner take all game in the World Baseball Classic, Mark de Rosa went with Will Smith instead of Cal Rawley. I think that that just shows you what the opinion is around baseball who they rather have in a big game. Thanks for the phone call. Eight six six eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. I can't believe I just referenced the World Baseball Classic to make a point. Don't ever, don't ever allow me to do that again, especially when I say, Mark de Rosa, Okay, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue more of your phone calls At eight six sixnine eight seven two five seventy, we'll check in with Jose Mota and you'll hear part of our conversation with Miguel Rojas. We were out at WSS and Boyle Heights. It was a great day. We had a Dodger talker earlier today. You can hear that on the iHeartRadio app. And we're going strong doubleheader for Dodger Talk tonight, and it's well worth it thanks to Will Smith. On his birthday and Bobblehead Night. He hit a two out, go ahead, two run home run in the eighth inning and the Dodgers sweep the Snakes three to two. On AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 3: To Paul two strike pitch from the Rio to Smith.
Speaker 2: Will swings HiT's a high drive center fielding deep this Paul back this pop.
Speaker 1: Will Smith, Happy Birthday. Dodgers lead three to two. Wanna go ahead home run at the bottom of the eighth with two outs. Have two strikes.
Speaker 2: Saturday Night belonged to Will Smith as he helps the Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks tonight three to two with a go ahead, two run home run with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, and the Dodgers sweep Arizona to start the season. They have Tomorrow off and then we'll start up again on Monday night to take on the Cleveland Guardians. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com. Use the keyword home run to enter your chance to win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, when you we look at this Dodger lineup, there just is nowhere to exhale.
Speaker 3: And when you have to.
Speaker 2: Face guys like Mookie Betts and Will Smith and Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: There's really nowhere to turn to.
Speaker 2: And Will Smith is a guy that you know, can really see some pitches in and at bat, and he fought in that at bat after Mookie Bets drew a two out walk that was huge by Mooky as well.
Speaker 3: Will Smith does not get.
Speaker 2: The opportunity to even come to the plate if Mookie Betts makes it out, and we may have the Dodgers first loss of the season. Now, remember last year, speaking of Dodgers starting out hot, the Dodgers were undefeated in their first eight games of.
Speaker 3: The season last year.
Speaker 2: So this is nothing new except for the fact that after the first six weeks of the season the Dodgers cooled off. Their bullpen gave up a lot of late leads and that prevented them from really staying on a roll. Because the Dodger offense was putting up a lot of runs, the bullpen was just giving up late runs late in games, and that's the reason why, you know, they never really really took off after the first six weeks of the season. But it's much different. I mean you look at the confidence Will Klein has now after what he did in the World Series and the way he was celebrated after the World Series. He's the winning pitcher tonight. Alex Vesia is back. He's pitching for a lot more than baseball. You got Tanner Scott now in a role that can thrive sing a lot of lefties. And it all starts because the Dodgers went out and signed Edwin Diaz. You know, if on the Mets, how do you let Edwin Diaz walk away for Devin Williams. I mean, Edwin Diaz is your guy. He identified with the Mets and you you didn't value him, and he walked away right into the arms of the Dodgers, similar to Mookie Beds, similar to Freddie Freeman. You know, Edwin Diaz, I would argue was a bigger signing than signing Kyle Tucker. The Dodgers could have kept going without Kyle Tucker. I mean, you look at the minor league outfielders they had, like James Tibbs the third. You could have signed another outfielder as well, but there was no other closer on the free agent market as good as Edwin Diaz to solve a lot of the problems from last year. And like I said, in the ninth inning, now nobody is nervous. There's no heart attack kids going on. In the ninth inning, Edwin Diaz gives you the confidence to know that he is going to get those three outs similar to the way Kennelly Jansen did in his prime. And ken Ley recorded three hundred and fifty career saves with the Dodgers, more than any other picture in their franchise history. So that's the feeling now. In that ninth inning, everybody was pumped up for Timmy Trumpet, and nobody blink deny that Edwin Diaz wouldn't be able to get those final three outs. That's the feeling in that dugout, That's the feeling in the stadium, and it's all because of one guy that has closed games in a big market in New York with the Mets and now under the brightest lights in LA with the back to back World champion Dodgers. Can't stress enough how much Edwin Diaz has changed the complexion of games for the Dodgers this year. Let's go out to Sacramento. Frank, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Frank?
Speaker 7: I'm doing phenomenal days yourself.
Speaker 3: Hey, couldn't be better. I think we've established that.
Speaker 11: Hey, happy birthday.
Speaker 7: Do the jiggy one. Will Smith the first Prince of la He told the Diamondbacks tonight to keep the name his name out of their mouth.
Speaker 3: See what you did there, Frank, See what you did there. I think we got it.
Speaker 2: I love that you stayed on hold for twenty two minutes to put all that together.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Frank.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Braxton, who is at the game tonight? Hi, Braxton, you got any more? Will Smith puns?
Speaker 8: Hey, No, I don't have any Will Smith funds. My last name is Smith, though, and my house calls him cause he Will.
Speaker 3: All right. I like that. I like that. What do you think about walk off Will? I'm going with walk off Will now.
Speaker 8: I think couz you Will is amazing. My little girl loves this. She exsa shares his walk up music. She loves us so much. But what I want to talk about night they've is the fan base. I'm a season ticket holder. I go it's about fifteen games a year or so, and I got to say that us being down the way we're down, you see a lot of fans leave in prior years, and this year it's awesome, like we've been down every game and everybody's hanging on and everybody knew like we're going to come back and win this. So number one, the awareness of the fan base and excitement. I love that. And number two one major play was Moreno's almost home run. How aware was the fans this year? To everybody, If you go back and watch that, everybody backed off, everybody backed off from gave him room. I thought that was incredible. So shout out to the fans of that.
Speaker 2: All right, Braxton, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, I remember last year in the postseason or in a tight game, fans got out of the way for an opposing outfielder to rob a Dodger down the left field short wall. Yeah, the fans got to know the game. When it's an opposing outfielder trying to rob a Dodger home run. Do whatever you can to knock that ball out on the glove is in the stands, but yes, kudos to the fans over there in right field on the short wall to give Kyle Tucker all the room he needed to rob that home run, which certainly was a big home run, no doubt. Eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number Freddie Freeman tonight his first three hits of the year. He drove in a run in the seventh inning, and like I mentioned during the Clubhouse show, I am keeping track of the doubles for Freddy. That was his five hundred and forty eighth career double. He ties Alex Rodriguez for thirty third on the old time doubles list in baseball history. And like we mentioned earlier as well, Freddy in his career has averaged forty one doubles per season. So if he does that by the end of this year, he should be cracking the top twenty of doubles. And you know he wants to hit three hundred. He values batting average and I think we can all appreciate that and what Freddy does, and I mean, come on, the guy has the distinction of being the only player in baseball history to have two walk off home runs in.
Speaker 3: The World Series.
Speaker 2: Let's go out to Lars, who is at the game tonight. Hi, Lars, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 13: David a big fan, first time calling and first time with Dodgers season tickets, And man, have we been rewarded. We went opening day, we went tonight. I took my five year old son up. We caught a foul ball. He was sitting on my lap.
Speaker 8: When Mookie Bets was up and I told him, Mookie's.
Speaker 13: Walking and Will Smith's going to hit a walk off, game winning home run here to celebrate his birthday and celebrate the bobblehead. And man, We've been to hundreds of games, but this was some of the most fun I've ever had in the Dodger game. In fact, we like it so much where we're find to DC and we're going to see the Dodgers series there, so maybe in DC and it's here on the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Nationals Park is actually a really good stadium, Lars, You're picking a good one. It's not one that people talk about all the time off the tip of their tongue, but I enjoyed going to Nationals Park. I've walked around the concourse and uh yeah, I like Nationals Park a lot.
Speaker 3: I think you're going to enjoy it.
Speaker 13: My brother is actually an architect and helped design Nationals Park, and I was the first manager of media relations for the Washington Nationals and they moved from Montreal. Hey, we got lots of friends and family coming out of the game, but we are lifeli Dodgers fans now, so it's been great.
Speaker 3: Lars.
Speaker 2: Were you in that Netflix documentary about how they torpedoed Montreal and got to Washington? Were you part of that?
Speaker 7: Said?
Speaker 13: And I came on board right after the team was announced to move to DC, and I got to fulfill my dream not just to have a team in my hometown, but to get to work for him and work with Frank Robinson and Jim Bowden. Just had an amazing experience. But living out in LA and better in all of sports, then.
Speaker 3: Working for Jim voting was a dream job. I don't know about that.
Speaker 13: Frank Robinson was and just just working for the Nationals and getting to work at baseball, but now to share it with my son and see his love of the game, his love of the Dodgers and the memories we're making together at Dodgers Stadium. It's been really special in fulfilling.
Speaker 3: All right, Lars.
Speaker 2: So we'll see out there in our nation's capital. Can't wait for that road trip because after the Dodgers go to Washington, DC, they'll be headed back to Toronto.
Speaker 3: That's right, the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: First road trip of the season will take them back to where they won the World Series last year. It's going to be a week from Monday when the Dodgers open up a three game series in Canada. That should be spectacular. You don't want to miss any of those games, and they are the first two games of the series. You can listen to them right here on seventy LA Sports and the iHeartRadio app at four oh seven. First pitch on Monday and Tuesday, April sixth and seventh, and getaway Day is Wednesday April eighth. That'll be at twelve o seven here in LA. And speaking of going back to Toronto, we'll see if Will Smith and Miguel Rojas have any issues going through customs, whether or not those Canadian Mounties hold what they did. They're heroics in Game seven against them. But earlier today we had our first Dodger talk show of Saturday eleven to one at WSS and Boyle Heights. It was a great time out there. Great to see all the true blue Dodger fans, great to have some vas tacos, and especially great to have World Series Hero Miguel Rojas there to meet and greet with all the fans that came out. There was one fan that actually camped out at five am. He was the first person in line at WSS after camping out at five am. And here was part of our conversation with World Series Hero Miguel Rose earlier today at WUSS and Boil Heights.
Speaker 12: Yeah, my mindset is empty the tank every single day. I don't have a I don't have to worry about what going to happen next year. I already talked Dave rovers anything that you need from me, pulled me in the game at any any chance, any any opportunity you have, Just get me in there, because I'm not going to be complaining about being tired or anything like that because I can't rest after after this year. But definitely that's that's the way that I'm kind of approaching it and spring training. I knew it was all about getting ready for the season and all that, but I feel like it's my opportunity to kind of like give.
Speaker 3: It all out.
Speaker 12: And that doesn't mean that I didn't before, but I feel like right now it's like I'm enjoying every single game like it's my last one because it's a last opportunity of doing everything almost every single day. So for me, that's the way that I'm going to approach it and looking forward.
Speaker 1: To uh to to win.
Speaker 12: The last game of the season.
Speaker 2: Again, no doubt that's what the dot goals are. But they take it every they take it one game at a time, and they never stop working. I posted a video three hours before first pitch this afternoon and the Dodgers were taking infield, Max Munsey, Santiago Espinal at third base, you had Mookie Bets at shortstop. You had Rojas and Alex Freelan at second base, and Freddie Freeman at first base. Three hours before the game, you had those names putting in work. Before the third game of the regular season, Dalton Rushing was doing the catching behind the plate. He obviously hasn't played in a while, so that was valuable for him. But that's what separates and that's what people that just want to have these hot takes about bashing the Dodgers and all the money they spent. They don't see the work these big name, high priced players put in to be able to deliver to back World Series championships. That's something special that separates them from every other team in baseball. And I'm with these guys and I get to the ballpark early. Yeah, there's guys putting in some extra work, but you don't see the superstars doing what the Dodgers are doing on a consistent basis. That's the difference maker. And if you want to hear the full conversation with Miguel Rojas, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. And I did bring up to him the fact that we saw Jeff Hoffman give up a game tying home run in the ninth inning last night with one out as the Dodgers were getting his rings, and he said, actually, Dave, have you ever heard of social media?
Speaker 3: I saw it.
Speaker 2: Somebody actually did a split screen on social media and one of his friends sent it to him as the Dodgers were getting their ring.
Speaker 3: Somebody did a split screen.
Speaker 2: Cold as Ice Jeff Hoffman giving up that game tying home run to the Oakland A's Shane Langley as Rojas and the Dodgers were getting their ring. Yeah, that's out there on social media, so I wasn't breaking any news to him. What he doesn't know, though, is how I got to WSS and how I got to Dodgers Stadium tonight.
Speaker 3: In all three games, I got.
Speaker 2: A brand new Hyundai Tucson from my guy Sam at Downey Hunday. I rolled up to WSS and that thing today. So Miguel Rojas don't know about that. Might know about Jeff Hoffman, but he don't know about Downy Hunday, now you know.
Speaker 3: So thank you to my guy Sam.
Speaker 2: Who has hooked me up all season long to get to Dodger Stadium this year, and I appreciate that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks tonight three to two thanks to a go ahead to run a home run by Will Smith with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, set up by a two out walk by Mookie Betts. So a big night for the Dodgers as they continue to wear down the Diamondbacks and Tyler Glass now started the game tonight. He was strong, six innings, two earned runs, six strikeouts. Will Climb, though, gets the win in Reliefjuan Morio gave up the two run home run that was the difference in the game in the eighth inning, and Edwin Diaz, for the second straight night, records the save without any drama, and everybody loves that as well. All right, let's check in with our guy, Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Moda, what a night at Dodgers Stadium. But I made this argument, and I feel like I have a pretty good argument to make that the signing of Edwin Diaz was more important for the Dodgers than signing Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 7: I agree with you. Nothing against Kyler Tucker, obviously, the Dodgers of the Brett wellstat offense even before Tucker welcome him. But Diaz is a one guy that allows you to do one thing. Shortened the game. And as you mentioned regarding that Colletti, when the game gets too long for the opponent, well the game gets short against the opponent too. When you have guys that are going to go out there and just shut the door. I remember when Edwin came up with the Mariners heart throwing guy, he was pretty much thinking too much about mechanics. If you look at his mechanics, it's nothing pretty about him. But he understands who he is. He needs to know where the arm needs to be a dag and a guy that is. I got to meet him, you know, being in that same division for many years with the Angels. He just said, moment telling is quite simple. And one thing he does pretty well is he watches other bullpens. He wants to watch the guys starting make throwing their bullpens with a catcher set up. What he can learn about relief points, where the ball lands. He pitches to ground balls. This guy pitches. He's not just a thrower. He knows how to pitch, even though he does have in his career what eight hundred and forty one strike us in prover twenty in a third. But it's just also the angle of his arm that just does not allow the opponent to see the ball very well in a consistent basis. He is down at nineteen degrees, which is Dave, pretty hard to watch ninety seven to ninety eight goal by you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that, Jose, because we all knew what the bread and butter was for Kenley Jansen and Mariano Rivera the cut fastball. Maybe you could share with us how we know Edwin Diaz is on his game and why he has such margin for air even when he may not.
Speaker 3: Have his best stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this might sound a little crazy about sometimes his slaughter needs to go the other way, so it needs to be like a backup slaughter against righties, and he's fine with that because sometimes his delivery gets a little bit fast. But because his arm angle is low and he's able to finish up hitters and down on the zone, his slide of the backs up, as we say it's a mixer, is efficient against rightis and lefties. Down on the zone obviously can do a little bit of trouble if he hangs it like everybody else in baseball. But what allows them to be consistent is the ball exploding from that low end go down and up in the zone, which is hard to guess because now you're looking at the four seamer that is never straight, it's running away and left. He's an up and in on right is and when you see the games of Trachos, he comes into high leverage and guys are amped up when they see fastballs.
Speaker 11: He beats a.
Speaker 7: Lot of guys just above the hands because of the way he prepares everybody with that slider. So when you sit outside of going the other way is not a bad thing. I learned that remember earlier in my in my broadcast career. But also when you don't see the hard fastball, considered that this guy knows how to pitch by getting ground balls very consistent down of his zone.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: It was fun to see uh Narco playing the first last two nights here at Dodger Stadium and Edwin Diaz getting the save. And there's just a different feeling, Jose. When a guy like Edwin Diaz comes into the game, You're confident that you're not going to have to burn another reliever. You're confident in a one run game that he's going to get the job done. It's just that that makes such a huge difference for a team like this.
Speaker 7: It's big David now also going back to DS and as he mentioned, his efficiency in so many ways, he gets into the head of other managers. But for this reason, if they want to stack him against lefties and have their empty their bench, as we say in the ninth inning, lefties in his career one sixty nine average three hundred slugging by the same token, he's able to bury in and out, never a guessing game with him not predictable at all. Sometime when he's a ratic, he's also very good. But nonetheless he can utilize writers and lefties in the same way by being able to execute pitches on a consistent basis and knowing that. One more thing about his personality, Dave, this guy lets it go as quickly as anybody. When it's not going well, he'll be the first one standing in that locker answering questions. When it's going very well, he'll get more credit to the guys behind the plate calling and framing for him. And also when is going well, he doesn't take it. We've got to know that the other teams are also making adjustments. There's a lot to learn from erin just giving me a little heads up on him. But he keeps it quite simple because he can turn the page with the best.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's what the best closers do.
Speaker 2: A short memory Jose Mota is joining us after the Dodgers sweep the Diamondbacks tonight, the final score three to two. Tyler glass Now started this game, and I kind of feel like he's kind of one of those forgotten names, even though on any other team, or at least twenty five other teams, he probably could have been their opening days starter. In his last tune up for the regular season, he really had his curveball working, maybe not the fastball. What did you see from Glass now? And do you feel like this might be a big year for him?
Speaker 7: I think so. He just needs to stay in one piece, and the fact that he's thinking a little bit less and being less mechanical, it's going to be good for him. I mean that frame of six a the least point the extension sometimes going to get out of way. But I think the less he thinks about stuff like that, the better off he is. I'm going to take the last start against the Angels in preseason, when he had the eleven strikeouts, he said in his mind, I'm going to go work on my curveball. He was facing a team very anxious hitters. They chased a whole lot. Today he didn't try to force and try to get the strike out today when the curboll was not working the Dbacks, knowing very well more disciplined hitters in the Angels, he goes to the curveball early. They're not swinging at it. There's a couple missed, very close misses. They're not biting at all. He goes through his two seam fastball. He threw nineteen sinkers, fourteen for strikes. He topped out at ninety six. Remember tug in six eight run on top of the release point, and then this fastball, which naturally sometimes cut his four seamers in, made it even better. So I think overall there's a time last year in early September when he missed a start and I think that was pretty much the growing that he needed to do and get the ear full from Dave Robbins say do this who we need, we need you to be. I think he's taken off from that, and today was a good example about not chasing strikeouts, being a complete picture and going back to the other side of the book and finding that two seam fastball later in the game because he had a very good outing again.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, thanks for checking in. Enjoy Sunday and we'll talk to you Monday night.
Speaker 7: Austin Lego, mister Dodger talk two hours and now you're the best man. Keep going?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Best team in baseball might as well keep it rolling. Thanks for the checking in, Jose. Jose does a great job on the Dodgers Spanish radio. Don't miss the Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park on April fourth, Big payouts, full fields, NonStop action, Save now at Santa Anita dot com slash events. Jose brought up a couple of really good points. The Dodgers needed what they got from glass Now tonight after Emig Sheen only went three and a third innings last night. Glass Now saved the bullpen tonight by going six innings and keeping them in the game. Don't lose sight of that. That was just as big as anything else tonight for glass Now to go six innings and not have Dave Roberts use seven or eight relievers to cover as many innings as he needed to cover last night, not to mention the day off tomorrow. So that's a double bonus for the Dodgers. And you'll have Edwin Diaz available Monday night. If needed for a safe chance. But on Monday night as well, it's Roki Sasaki making his first start of the season, and he was very erratic with his fastball command in spring training. Some of the Japanese media told me today as well, a ratic in his bullpen session. So Justin Robleski has been throwing his bullpens the same day Roki Sasaki has been, So you would expect Justin Robleski to be on standby to cover a lot of innings if necessary on Monday night. So what glass Now did tonight very important. And like I said, this guy glass Now there's a different look about him. There was just something different about him in spring training. I believe he's gonna have a big year, and I don't think he's gonna get in his own way.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna compete all season long.
Speaker 2: And two years ago, his first year with the Dodgers, he made a career high twenty two starts. He made the All Star team that year in twenty four. People forget that because he missed the entire second half of the season. He I think he's gonna exceed that. I could see Glass Now making a new career high and starts. I could see him making at least twenty five starts this year. All right, Tomorrow day off. Roki Sasaki will take the mound on Monday night, going up against Cleveland's twenty five year old Parker Mesik Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock on Monday, with first pitch at seven to ten.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being with us in case we couldn't get to you a callback Monday night. Thank you to everybody that came by WSS and Boyle Heights earlier today at eleven am. Feels like another day. Thanks for coming out earlier today at eleven am. Thanks to everybody at WSS for their great hospitality. And thanks to Colin Yee, who also was part of the Dodger Talk doubleheader today. He was there earlier for us back at the Burbanks Studios. He's still there for us tonight. So thank you, Colin. And thank you to Dwayne McDonald who is always here at Dodgers Stadium. He never leaves. You'll be here tomorrow too, I'm sure. I mean he might just hang out until Monday anyway. Great night at Dodgers Stadium. It was Will Smith's night, his birthday, his bobblehead night, and he gives the Dodgers the win with a go ahead, two.
Speaker 3: Run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning with two outs.
Speaker 2: So what a night for Will Smith, What a start for the Dodgers as they are three and oh after sweeping the Diamondbacks in the opening series. Can't wait to talk to you on Monday. Enjoy Sunday, Palm Sunday. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 3: Once again.
Speaker 2: The final score the Dodgers the Diamondbacks three to two.
Speaker 3: See us by six.
Speaker 1: The legs don and I'm on this leftist camp.