Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show by calling eight sixty six seven hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David Bassey.
Speaker 3: We are not in Siritos. No, we are not at a BJS in Siritos. We are at the Sportsnet LA studios where I just finished access Sportsnet Dodgers and we were joined by three time, three time World Series champion Max Muncy, and we will share part of that conversation with you coming up at seven point fifteen at the bottom of the hour, we are going to be joined by the PCL Pacific Coast League. For those that don't know, the Pacific Coast League Player of the Year and now added to the Dodgers' forty man roster, Ryan Ward. Yes, that Ryan Ward. And the reason why we're having Ryan on the show is because I don't want to harbor this type of resentment to a guy I don't even know, to a guy that had a great season. And the reason why I harbored minimal amount of resentment towards Ryan Ward is the fact that probably from I don't know, July, after the All Star break until maybe even the Wildcard series, somebody called the show somebody at the stadium would ask me about him. One of the broadcasters would ask me, why aren't they calling this guy up? Why is he not up here? Why is Michael Conforto in left field? And quite honestly, I didn't have a great answer, but all I could relay is the fact that the Dodgers were sticking with Conforto. Well, Confordo's gone and Ryan Ward now on the forty man roster. And now Ryan Ward is going to be on the show tonight, and we'll see what Ryan Ward is all about on the show tonight as a personality, as a guy that we're going to get to know. And we'll see how much of an opportunity Ryan Ward gets this season. A lot of it is contingent on you know who the Dodgers are able to either trade for or sign this offseason to help upgrade not only their outfield defense but also their offense. Their offense was not very good the second half of the season. They scored almost twenty five less runs in the postseason this year than what they did when they beat the Yankees and went through the postseason last year in twenty twenty four. So Andrew Friedman is very aware of the fact that their offense wasn't very good the second half of last year, and he wants to make it better, and there are a few guys on the free agent market that can help him make it better. There are opportunities on the trade market that could help him make it better. So the Dodgers are not done adding, but there's no rush because there are a number of different ways the Dodgers can pivot now. I've been a big advocate for the Dodgers to sign Bo Bishett, but it seems like the Phillies now are the team that are emerging as the front runners to sign Bishett. The Phillies, in case you missed it, hired former Dodger manager and more recently, former Blue Jays bench coach Don Mattinglee to be their bench coach, and from what we can gather out of Toronto is that Bo Boshett and Don Mattinglee had a very tight relationship and that may have played into why the Phillies hired Don Mattinglee, among other reasons, to be their bench coach. Now and Bob Bashett is scheduled to have either a video call or an in person call with the Phillies coming up next week. According to John Hayman, his camp is looking for three hundred million dollars. I don't know if that's true or not, but Phillies players are reportedly texting Bashett encouraging him to sign with them. And the Phillies are a very left handed oriented team, so they could use a really good right handed hitter like Bo Bashett, who is only twenty eight years old and already in his career, has led the league in hits two different times. And that's why I'm a big fan of Bobashett. I think the Dodgers had some level of interest in Bobashett. It may still do, but it feels like the Dodgers are focusing on the outfield and we hear so much about Kyle Tucker. Look, Bobashett isn't going back to Toronto, so the chances are very high the Blue Jays are zeroing in and closing in on a deal for Kyle Tucker. Now we've heard, and I've told you this before, that the Dodgers have this saying amongst their front office people that Andrew Friedman coined is hanging around the backboard in case a guy like Freddie Freeman doesn't re sign with his team, or a guy like Mookie Bets becomes available in a trade among others. So if Kyle Tucker and the Blue Jays can't come up with a significant number, maybe Kyle Tucker does settle for a three or four year deal. If that was the case, I feel like the Dodgers would be definitely interested, and that's the reason why you're hearing their name. But it seems like the Blue Jays are going to sign him. We haven't mentioned Cody Bellinger in a while on this show, and I feel like a reunion from what I can gather, a reunion with Cody Bellinger is still not out of the question.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The Yankees really need Cody Bellinger to come back, but the Yankees are a mess now. According to a few different reports, Scott Boris is seeking a seven year deal from the Yankees for Cody Bellinger at an annual average salary of thirty million dollars. So that would be seven years, two hundred and ten million dollars. I don't see the Dodgers doing that. Maybe the Yankees are desperate enough to do that, but I could see the Dodgers saying, okay, thirty million dollars a year for Cody Bellinger, how about three years, how about four years? Things are being equal? If the Yankees are not going six or seven years or even five years, why wouldn't Cody Bellinger want to come back? And I can understand, and I've mentioned this the sentiment of let's turn the page on those Dodgers. Let's turn the page and move on. From Justin Turner, from Kenley Jansen, from Corey Seeger, from Cody Bellinger. I can understand that the Dodgers have won back to back World Series championships without those players. But Cody Bellinger is still only thirty years old, and he was a really popular player here. He won the MVP and talking to Cody, keeping in touch with Cody, he's become a way more mature player in person since he left the Dodgers after what the twenty two season, And let's not forget Cody Bellinger came up with a lot of big hits for the Dodgers in the postseason. They don't advance to the NLCS in twenty twenty one if Cody Bellinger doesn't come up with a huge hitting game five of the NLDS in San Francisco, to name one, of many. How about the twenty twenty postseason catches home runs. I mean, he wasn't the same for a while after hitting that huge home run in the NLCS and Keik Hernandez giving him a shoal forearm shoulder shiver. It seems like he has He hasn't returned to the player before that, but he's become a better player and he knows himself a lot better than he did when we last saw him in a Dodger uniform. So one way or the other, whether it's Kyle Tucker, whether it's Cody Bellinger, whether it's making a trade for a Brendan Donovan or a Lars Noubar, Andrew Friedman is going to upgrade the offense. And he still has a lot of options on the board of outfielders to name just a handful that are out there that are still available and huge impact players. So there there, it's incredible to say this on January eighth, one eight day. I'm celebrating Yamamoto one eight day, by the way, but on January eighth, and we are just a little over a month from when the Dodgers report to camp, Kyle Tucker Cody Bellinger are still on the board. Lars new Bar and Brendan Donovan have not been traded, so to put it lightly, there are still as many options on January eighth as there were on December first, So the Dodgers are not feeling the urgency. Now there is a player of interest that did not come to an arbitration agreement with his team. We'll let you know who that is. We'll let you know how far apart the two sides are and how that may change the dynamic of his availability in the trade market. We got Max Munsey coming up next, and at the bottom of the hour, Ryan Ward David vass live from the Sports net LA studios with you until eight o'clock tonight right here, seventy LA Sports. David Vassa with you until eight o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. Thanks to the folks here at sports net LA for inviting me back for access sports Net Dodgers, and thanks to them for allowing me to squat in one of the offices here to host Dodger Talk until eight o'clock. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, Pacific Coast League MVP and Dodger nerd Cult legend Ryan Ward is going to join us and can't wait to meet Ryan Ward. Can't wait to talk to him coming up at the bottom of the hour. You know, I mentioned this on Petro some money. I went back to my alma mater last night, Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks. It wasn't as bougie when I graduated there in nineteen ninety four, but still a grade school, A great place to send your kids if you can. But I went back because my cousin who's like my sister, her son now is a grown man and teaches there and is an assistant basketball coach for the varsity team. So I decided to go back there support the school, support him, and they embarrassed me. They blew a sixteen point lead going into the fourth quarter and lost by a point to Loyola. But that's a that's not the highlight of the day. I actually saw my old dean of boys at the school, and he turns out to be now the president of Notre Dame High School, Rob Thomas. No, not that Rob Thomas. Mister Thomas is now the president of Notre Dame High School. And I always try to stander the radar, and I said, hey, I remember you. You were the Diana Boys when I went to school here. He's like, yeah, when'd you graduate? What's your name? David Vasse ninety four? I listened to the show, Well there we go. So high school ever needs me because of you know, their president, Rob Thomas, I would be there for them. Great guy, a man of strength and dignity and class, Rob Thomas. All Right. I mentioned that Trek scooble Well. I did not say his name, but I mentioned a player did not come to an agreement as many players did for to avoid arbitration. Scott Boris, Scott Trek Scougbell's agent exchanged a number of thirty two million dollars with the Tigers. The Tigers came back with nineteen million dollars. That's a big disparity, right there. Not Usually a gap like that does not happen in arbitration trying to avoid arbitration. Just in case you're wondering, the record for a pitcher in these type of situations was David Price back in twenty fifteen, who got nineteen point seven five million dollars. So the Tigers, you know, ten eleven years later, want to pay Trek's Scouble less than what David Price got for being, you know, equally as good of a pitcher at that time, maybe less than twenty fifteen. That's a thirteen million dollar cap gap between the Tigers and Schoolball right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Gonna say this is going to trigger anything to change significantly as far as the Tigers trading Schooble. But if they do go into an arbitration hearing and what happens there is the team basically tears down the player to try to get the arbiter to side with them to pay the player less. That can get very contentious. And that's the reason why Andrew Freeman for the most part, has avoided arbitration hearings with the majority of his players outside of War one or two, going back to his days with the Rays. So I'll say this, if the Tigers and school Bowl go into arbitration and the Tigers are going to try to poke holes in Tarrek's Schoolbull's game to try to bring him down to closer to their offer of nineteen million dollars, I can assure you number one, Trek Scuble will not re sign with the Tigers when he becomes a free agent and the chances of him being traded go up significantly. Now, I don't think it's going to get there, because they have until the end of the month to try to compromise on a number. But certainly Scott Boris, this is an indicator of Scott Boris asking for thirty eighty two million dollars to avoid arbitration and the Tigers submitting nineteen million dollars that Scott bores not only is trying to set a record in arbitration, but I can assure you Scott bores Is trying is going to try to set a new record to top the contract of Garrett Cole and Yoshi Yamamoto for Schooble in free agency. That's what all this signals to me, more than Schooble all of a sudden being traded to the Dodgers, the Mets or anywhere else. That's what it tells me. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Would you want a reunion with Cody Bellinger? I've laid it all out for you. Would you want a reunion with Cody Bellinger? Or are you of the thinking that the Dodger should just turn the page from those group of players that Lefia free agency or, in Bals case, the Dodgers decided not to tender uh back in twenty twenty two. Where do you stand? Are you open to a Bellinger reunion or do you believe it's time for the Dodgers to move on and find somebody else. I'm of the mindset that Cody Bellinger should be back in a Dodger uniform if it makes sense. Four year deal. I'm all in four years at thirty million dollars, I'm all in bring him back. He could play all three outfield positions. He's a playoff player, he knows the culture of the Dodgers. He's a great guy. The players would love to have him back. And if you're talking about giving Freddie Freeman more days off at first base, who better than Cody Bellinger to give him those days off? Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Cody Bellinger was part of the twenty twenty World Series championship that was Max Munsey's first three World Series championships. Max Munsey, a three time World Series champion, part of the dodgers first ever back to back World Series Championship team joined us on Sportsnet LA, myself, Jerry Harriston Junior, and Kirsten Watson, And here's part of our conversation. And I asked Muncie, how difficult was it to repeat as champions? Now that you've had some time to exhale and celebrate, how difficult is it to repeat as world champions?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's it's something that you can't really discuss in like a short segment, like there needs to be a long talk about it one day. But you know, as I mentioned, the off seasons get short, and that's what you want. But when your off season is so short, you don't have, you know, the full time to recover. Most guys when when the off season comes, they'll take you know, anywhere from like two weeks to a full month off before when they get back into training.
Speaker 1: And for us, we don't have that time.
Speaker 4: You know, you have to get right back into training, and so your body is not getting a full time to recover.
Speaker 1: And you know.
Speaker 4: That's where with the long season you start seeing some of the guys break down a little bit. There's just not enough time to recover, and you know, there's not really anything you can do about that. We're trying to be smarter about how we're managing guys and you know, workloads and that kind of stuff. But at the end of the day, you have to get recovery. And you know, for us, when in that that that first World Series, you know, we started in Korea and then you win the first World Series, and then we start in Japan and win another World Series.
Speaker 1: So you're talking about, you know, our season was already longer.
Speaker 4: Than anyone else, just as you know, as it was just starting overseas, and then we went to the World Series and you know, so that's back to back years of having just the longest season possible. It takes a toll on everybody, and that's why it's so hard to go out there and keep winning. And that's why you saw a lot of the dips, you know, as this season went on. It's just it's tough. It's tough to keep that.
Speaker 5: You know, Max, you spoke on Superman, who we all know he was probably the greatest player to ever play this game in Shoyo Tani, and you got a couple other superstars like obviously Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman. But when you speak on and you're a star in your own right, but when you speak on the other guys, because it took everybody last year and really the year before, but especially last year, it took everybody to win that World Series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really cool for me to, like, you know, the small times I've had to reflect on it, it's really cool to look back and just realize, we don't win that World Series without every single person that participated in it. You know, every single guy on the roster played a key part in winning that World Series. It wasn't just one guy taken over, you know, the World Series and past Freddy kind of took over for us, and this year it was literally every single guy played at least one role throughout the entire postseason. And you know, you could just name a guy on the roster and you can say, oh, that guy made a play. You look at just Dean in center field with you know, the ball that got stuck. You look at Will Klein, who was in Arizona for every series prior to the World Series. You know, Tommy making defensive plays, Mookie doing what he did Ashore and then having a big hit in Game six and.
Speaker 1: Seven for US, and.
Speaker 4: You know, every single guy played a role to where if we didn't have any one of those guys, we don't win. And that's a really cool thing for me to look back and just realize how much of a team effort it was.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, you just said that you've only taken small parts of your off season to reflect on the World Championship, something that hasn't been done in twenty years. To repeat, what have you been doing? One see that you're so busy that you can't reflect. Max, feel free to yell at him. Yell at him.
Speaker 1: Don't worry. He gets yelled at all the time.
Speaker 2: He knows it.
Speaker 1: I've been I've been busy, man. We got we got maybe number three popping out any day here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I've been trying to train and get get you know, get ready for the season, and you know, the holidays, it's it's a whirlwind.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I feel like we've only had like a week off from when the end of the season happened. And you know, it's already it's already January and we're going to be in Arizona before you know it. So it's ah, you don't really have time to just sit around and you know, just gloat about it.
Speaker 1: You have to. You have to start getting ready and prepare for the next season because it comes quick.
Speaker 6: Maxally formulas you always have a quick one for you. We all happen to know. There were some tattoos that of course made the way around the world. If you guys go back to back to back, are you committing to getting a tattoo as well?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not gonna catch that. I don't I don't do needles. I can't do it.
Speaker 4: So you know, there might be some other guys that will commit to it, but I'm not going to commit to that.
Speaker 1: You will not see me on that table with my pants down.
Speaker 3: I'll promise you that I can able the procedure for you, Max, if you need me to.
Speaker 4: Oh, if you're there, you definitely will not see me. You know, if you're there to day, I probably will be at the party. Let's be honest, Max, We thank you as always.
Speaker 6: We can't wait to see you here shortly what only a month, Not that we're counting down or anything, so enjoy the rest of your off season. We're wishing the best to you and Kelly. Hopefully baby number three is here soon.
Speaker 3: So thank you.
Speaker 1: As always us Rutch. Of course, love you, Dave. You know, I give you crap all the time. You're the man.
Speaker 3: Muncie there he is, Max Munzie. I love you too, Moncie. And Max is in La his wife Kelly, who's a great woman, getting ready to deliver their third child, and their great parents, great people. And you know, during this offseason, I've gotten more questions about whether or not Max Munsey hates me or not. He does not hate me, And that's the beautiful part about it. We want you to believe he hates me. He has taken the torch from Andre Ethier with the insults, and nobody can figure out whether or not Munsey's being serious and is disdained for me, or hate if you want to use a stronger word, or whether or not he's just fooling around. Well, I'd like to believe he's just messing around. And you know, maybe some days there is some you know, basically not feeling great towards me days. You know, I feel like there's some days of resentment towards me, no doubt, but Munsey and I find a way to coexist, and he's a great guy. And without his home run in game seven, and Jerry even asked him this in the interview. It's one of the most overlooked home runs of Game seven. If Munsey doesn't pull the Dodgers within one run, there is no ninth inning, there is no Will Smith, there is no epic Game seven finished. So Max Munsey's home run and Game seven is just as important as any other home run in that game, because without it, the climb was going to be almost impossible to come back down to your last six or nine outs eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Like I mentioned, the door is still open for a reunion with Cody Bellinger. Do you want a reunion with Cody Bellinger or do you believe it's time to move on. We'll get into that and more, but coming up next we will check in with Ryan Ward. Yes, that Ryan Ward that you called in about every single night during the summer. When is Ryan Ward going to be called up? How can the Dodgers keep Ryan Ward down? Well, you're gonna hear from that Ryan Ward next on Dodger Talk right here on a five to seventy. LA Sports. Thank you to Max Muncy for joining us on Access Sportsnet. Dodgers on Sportsnet LA. They already have posted the interview on their Instagram page so you could check out the full conversation with three times World Serio. He's champion Max Moncy. But you know, we got Dodger Talk for you until eight o'clock and our next show is going to be next Tuesday night. We're on next Tuesday and Thursday next week. And it's gonna be a fun road up to spring training because not only are the Dodgers bringing back so many of the core players from their back to back World Series championships, but have talked about giving some of their young players opportunities to earn spots roster spots during the season to contribute to a three peat run. And one of those men is going to join us right now. He was born and will Chester, Massachusetts and now is living in Millbury, Massachusetts. Maybe he's neighbors with Milton's own Rich Hill. But he was the PCL Player of the Year, and like Eric Carros and Mike Piazza have won that award in the past. As Dodger farm hands, he hit thirty six home runs drove in one hundred and twenty two runs for the OKC comments and had a unique disposition on this show last year where somebody asked me every day for three months about him, and that is the one and only Ryan Ward. Ryan, Welcome to Dodger Talk and great to have you on a show that so many were calling and asking about you last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi, guys, I'm happy to be here. Thank you for having me. I'm excited for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited too. I mean I feel like I know you already with the way everybody's been pumping you up to me. What was last year like for you to have that type of season at Triple.
Speaker 2: A, Yeah, it was. I mean, it was a fun year. We had a great team too, So it was just a lot lot of swing changes and approach decision decisions that I made like during the offseason and really committed to during the year. So being able to see it all pay off and see the right results was really cool for me, and then just just continuing to try and build on it.
Speaker 3: Your season actually started with Team USA the Premiere sixteen where they were playing in Japan, and your manager was Mike Soosha. One of your coaches was Dino Ebel, who's the Dodgers third base coach. How much did that experience help you get ready for the season and the one that you had, the big, you know, coming out party that you had in Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think incredibly. I mean those guys, that whole staff, including them, like the baseball knowledge was insane, so so being able to pick their brains and talk about things, whether you're on the field or not, like watching something happen and kind of learning from them seeing the way they see the game was huge and I tried to take advantage of it as most as much as I could.
Speaker 3: How much did Rich Hill try to buddy up to you being from Massachusetts and try to brow out that you guys are Bostonians.
Speaker 2: That was one of the first things we talked about, and then we became pretty close throughout that tournament, and we've actually been on a couple flights together, whether it's coming home for All Star Break or heading back out, so we've been able to kind of stay in touch and it's been awesome.
Speaker 3: Ryan Ward is joining us, Yes that Ryan Ward is joining us on Dodger Talk. You can follow him on Instagram our Ward oh twelve on Instagram and really get to know him through social media. Get to know him right here on Dodger Talk, and you will get to know him during this upcoming season because he is going to be in big league camp. You are on the forty man roster. Did you believe the Dodgers were going to add you to the forty man roster or did you believe that they were going to you were going to move on and get an opportunity with another team. What were your feelings after the season.
Speaker 2: You know, I really wasn't sure what was going to happen, especially with the Dodgers. I mean, they make so many moves you never really know what's going to happen. So, you know, I was kind of just sitting there on that last day of kind of just sweating it out, wondering which way it was gonna happen, what was gonna happen, which way it was going to go. And I eventually got the call that they aded me, and I was excited. I mean, forty man Dodger or forty man roster for the LA Dodgers is no little thing. So I'm excited to get back out there and get on the field and just continue playing and having fun.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know how you felt Ryan, But I'll let you in on something. You may have heard me say this when you were on hold, but literally every day for the last three months of the season, as you were exploding and having your tremendous year, I literally got a phone call on this show, or somebody would stop me at the stadium, or even some broadcaster would ask me. Every single day I had a Ryan Ward streak going where somebody would ask me about Ryan Ward and why he wasn't called up to the Dodgers. I'm sure you got that more than I did. How did you handle all that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was getting I was getting a lot of dms from people, you know, asking why I'm not up there and all this stuff. But you know, it was It's a tough spot because, like I can't control any of that stuff, so so me thinking about it and pondering it is something I try not to do. Obviously I think about it all the time, but I try not to like sit there and think about it twenty four to seven. You know, just just focus on My big saying is control what I can control, and that's going out every night and doing my best. You know, can't can't control moves that are being made or decisions being made. I can control how I prepare for the game, how I play game, and that's kind of where I direct all of my focus.
Speaker 3: Do you use it as fuel for motivation? Do you play with a chip on your shoulder because you still haven't got that call yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I feel like I've always played with a chip on my shoulder. It's just something that you know, gets the fire lit underneath me and just pushes me to be better every day. And I just try to go out there and carry that chip around and leave it all out there every night, whether it's the preparation before the game, the play during the game, looking at stuff the next day about the game before and trying to make changes, and you know, just continuing to build. So I'm always trying to find ways to be better and push myself to be better.
Speaker 3: Since you are from Boston, obviously a crazy sports town, especially for the Red Sox when you were growing up, did you have a favorite player on the Red Sox or on another team who who inspired Ryan Ward to want to become a professional baseball player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously Red Sox fan. Growing up. I was a big big Dave Artis fan, just because I was I was a lefty. He was the lefty power guy, like it was. David Ortiz was like like he was an icon around here. So David Ortiz for sure, it was my favorite Red Sox growing up. I mean I watched him all the time. And yeah, I'd say David Ortiz for sure.
Speaker 3: Were you old enough to remember Dave Roberts stealing that base in two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Four, Well, yeah, I've watched that thirty for thirty documentary one hundred times, you know, like lest four or five times in a row and then they shit and the homer all of it.
Speaker 3: Have you have you spoken to Dave Roberts? I know you haven't been in big league camp. Have you had many interactions with him?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I've been in I've been in big league camp for I think the past two years.
Speaker 3: That's right. I apologize. I must have introduced myself to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, no, no, no, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Alex Friedland and Gavin Stone try to dominate my time. I forget you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, that's definitely fair. So yeah, we've had a couple of conversations like during spring training for sure, here and there, But no that's never came up, so I'm sure will at some point, but just hasn't yet.
Speaker 3: Ryan Ward is our guest. He was the Pacific Coast League Player of the Year in twenty twenty five. Looking to make a big impact for the Dodgers in twenty twenty six, and I'm sure this has got to be a huge step closer to you realizing your dream. Ryan. With the Dodgers outfield situation in flux, especially in left field, you got to feel optimistic that this is going to be the year that you get an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean especially kind of like you said, being put on the forty man like gives you a real shot. Granted they can do it during the year with all those news and everything, but being on it already is huge. And you know, like trying to get my body into the best spot it can be strength wise, getting all my recovery done and get my swing right in, you know, just trying to show up with my foot on the pedal all the way to the floor and then just give it everything I got and leave it out there. But trying to have fun with it too, you know. I mean, you can't go in there and then just play under pressure from myself day after day. It's because it's that's going to hurt me. So just trying to have fun with it, enjoy it and learn from all those guys and talk to the guys. And I kind of liked earlier I said, picked their brains about certain things, and you know, just improve and chase my dream every day.
Speaker 3: No doubt, you must be doing something right. Ryan Ward to hit thirty six home runs for Oklahoma City last year. Before I let you go, I got to ask you this, since you were part of the organization last year. Where were you watching number one, the eighteen game when Freddy hit the walk off home run? And number two? Where were you watching Game seven of the World Series?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the eighteen inning game. I was at home, and I was having flashbacks too because the before I got dropped about dollars, they played the Red Sox and had like that seventeen eighteen inning playoffs. Yeah, so I was having flashbacks to that while I was watching it. But Game seven, I was actually at my buddy's house. There was a group of us all sitting there watching the game. So it was a really cool environment to be able to watch it. I mean, that was one of the craziest game sevens I think I've ever seen in my life any sport. So we able to watch it with some of the guys and have something to celebrate with them. Was pretty cool, was.
Speaker 3: That In you're talking about some of the guys that you were teammates with at Oklahoma City?
Speaker 2: Well, were we were. I was with friends from home back in Massachusetts, but a lot of us from the OKC team or in a group message and we're all texting throughout all the games and everything. So it was cool to be able to like integrate my OKAC friends and my friends from home, and everyone's kind of rooting for the same thing. So it was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: How invested did you feel watching the Dodgers in the World Series.
Speaker 2: I felt pretty invested. I mean a lot of the guys I've played with because of their either down in rehab or during spring training or I was down in a stay hot camp for all the series up until the World Series, so I was there staying ready in case something happened. So I was pretty invested in what was going on with them.
Speaker 3: Did you see this coming with Roki Sasaki when he was, you know, making his way back at Oklahoma City before he came back in September and did what he did in the postseason.
Speaker 2: When he really got going and kind of got his strength back. And it was in a role down in Okay. See, I mean, nobody was touching him. He was he was throwing strikes, he was town zone. He's throwing hard. His split was unbelievable, and I was just kind of like, we're all kind of stitting there like, oh, like, oh, I think he's ready. I think he's ready to go back up there. It was really fun to watch while he was down there.
Speaker 3: That's so great, great perspective from a guy that everybody wants to see make his major league debut this year with the Dodgers, and that is Ryan Ward. Thanks a lot for the time, Ryan. Can't wait to see you again in big league camp like I have the last couple of years, and I'll I'll box out Stone and Freedland and say, hey, we need some alone time here, all right, let me focus on this guy from Boston.
Speaker 2: That sounds good to me. Thank you for having me on. I appreciate it, No, my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the time, and we'll see you in a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see in a few weeks.
Speaker 3: All right, there he goes, Ryan Ward. Are you happy I got Ryan Ward on the show for you? See? This show is for you. And Ryan Ward made his Dodger Talk debut tonight. You can follow him on Instagram at r Ward oh twelve. Great guy And yes, I have seen him in big league camp. He had to remind me, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Everybody was getting me so flooded with why isn't he up in the big leagues last year? And look, there were other factors in play, and the Dodgers were a really talented team. Conforto teased them a few different times like he was coming out of his slump, but it never really materialized. Conforto was a very popular and positive teammate as well. And if you called up Ryan Ward, you're basically just saying goodbye to Michael Conforto and the bet that you made on him for seventeen million dollars. So that was part of the factor. I mean, this is not high school baseball. There is business at play, there are contracts at play, there's a resume of track record, all those things. But you know, at the end of the day, the Dodgers gave Michael Conforto every opportunity to come out of his season long slump, and he never did, and they left him off the postseason roster. And I feel like that's another area that will have a residual positive effect as Andrew Friedman goes through this off season to add to the Dodgers' offense, whether it's in the outfield, probably the outfield and the infield is getting the Dodgers more options off the bench. His son Kim, he may be part of this equation. Justin Dean was on the bench for the Dodgers and certainly was a defensive replacement. But if you told me last year in spring training that those two guys were going to be on the Dodgers World Series roster, I would have laughed at you. I would not have believed it. And I think that's part of what the Dodgers are looking at as well, to strengthen their bench and to give Dave Roberts more options than he had at the end of last season. And that's why it's kind of comical when people I never even heard this, but I guess there were some second guessers out there saying Dave Roberts should have pinch hit for Miguel Rojas in the ninth inning before he eventually obviously hit that game tying home run with two outs or one out in the ninth inning. But who was Dave Roberts going to go to. Was he going to pinch it Kim for Rojas? I wouldn't have done that. Was he going to pinch it justin Dean? He may have been out of the game by then. He had no other options, no better options than allowing Miguel Rojas to hit in that situation in the ninth inning of Game seven. So that's something that the Dodgers have had such a big strength of having the depth to be strong one through twenty six, have a great, strong bench, whether it was Chris Taylor when he was going good, Jock Peterson, Keik Hernandez, those type of guys that the Dodgers did not really have as options last year. Whether it's injuries or just poor production, they just didn't have those options at the end of last year. And let's let's make it clear the Dodgers the last two or three years have more have had more of a set everyday lineup than they did the previous five or six years. They are not platooning in different positions because they got guys that get hit lefties and righties. And oh, by the way, speaking of lefties and righties, if you're worried that the Dodgers have too many lefties and they should stay away from Cody Bellinger, well, he has continued a trend that he started with the Dodgers of hitting left handed pitching. It doesn't matter if you're a lefty or righty if you can hit left handed pitching. And that's something that Cody Bellinger has continued to do. In fact, last year, Cody Bellinger hit three point fifty three against lefties and his OPS was over a thousand against lefties. His OPS against right handed pitchers was just seven forty one, and he only hit two forty four against righty's last year. So when you're talking about stacking a lineup of trying to find somebody that can hit behind Otani, especially when the opponent brings in a left handed reliever to face Otani specifically and pitch around Otani, Cody Bellinger is a dangerous guy to have hit behind Otani because of how good he has been against left handed pitching. So you could have a lineup of Otani, Bellinger, and Freeman in your first three, and say, wait a minute, what you're stacking three lefties. It doesn't matter when you have three lefties that can hit lefties better than some right handed hitters can hit lefties. Otani hits lefties, Bellinger certainly hits lefties, and so does Freddy Freeman. So that doesn't concern me at all. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I bet you didn't realize that Cody Bellinger last year has continued to mash against left handed pitching. He hit three point fifty three, he slug six' oh one against left handed pitching last. Year that's. Remarkable I'm i'm convincing myself even more that bringing Back Cody bellinger is more right than. Ever and if you ask me right, now IF i had to pick a, player whether it Be Kyle tucker Versus Cody, bellinger, LOOK i Know Kyle tucker is a really talented baseball, player BUT i would Take Cody. BELLINGER i would Take Cody bellinger because of the, versatility the guy that has played big in the, postseason And tucker was a big part of The astros run in, nineteen no doubt about. It but you, Know tucker has played in The World. Series he has been a good playoff. Performer but it just seems like all signs are pointing To tucker going back to or going To, toronto especially now with the reports that The phillies And Bo bischett conversations are really heating, up With bishett scheduled to meet with them and the relationship he has With Don. Matte so, yeah it's, uh it seems Like tucker's going To. Toronto it really. Does and The dodgers have the door open for A bellinger reunion if if the years make. Sense eight six six, nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone. Number as we are getting closer to the top of the, hour our next show is going to Be tuesday night and then next Week thursday as. Well so that'll do it for us tonight On Dodger. Talk in case you missed any of the, show you can find it on The iHeartRadio app and that's where you can listen and stream Live iHeartRadio. App make us your number one pre. Set we will keep you updated on all The Free agent. News as guys Like, Bishett tucker And Bellinger frembervaldez have not been. Signed Ron Hare Suarez Ranger suarez has not been signed. Either so there's a lot of guys still on the market that we're there when free agency, open and The dodgers and every other team out there has a lot of options still at their. Disposal and The dodgers are in a great spot because they have the best player on the. Planet they've, got you, know two Other hall Of famers in their lineup And Freddie freeman And Mookie. Betts i'm a firm Believer Mookie betts is going to have a big comeback season next. Year Anti Oscar hernandez is going to have a big comeback season next year to, help you, know bring The dodger offense back to where it was the first half a last. Season All, right we'll keep the hot stove going Next tuesday, night coming up Next Fox Sports. Radio thanks again To Ryan ward And Max munsey for joining. Us we will talk to you Next. Tuesday see you