Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy LA Sports and on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is the Petros and Money Show. You are one of the kind, hosted by Petros, Papaday guests left school after sixth grade and the voice of the Bolts not Money Smith.
Speaker 2: The answer is on money. There is nothing you can do. You know it's coming. This is the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 3: On the home of your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Make us your top preset on the iHeartRadio App. I am actually crying and it's just that because now says even more annoying than they usually are, and you keep them plees man personally personal, personally.
Speaker 4: On the line.
Speaker 2: Can't do it selling dumb ass for shame football.
Speaker 1: When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.
Speaker 2: Bummy you Spetro some money sel A Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It is a Modello Meet you a lot on Monday. If it is not a meets you, a lot of is not made with Modelo A reward for those with a fighting spirit. Medello is the mark of a fighter. We are your home right now. All we need is a bell, you know, Matt, Yeah, they ring the bell on the street. You don't have to fight, you do. This is your first baseball game, baseball game. We are your home of the first baseball game. Back to back, two times World Series champion Dodgers Opening Day just three.
Speaker 1: I don't know why days away James Outman's dad keeps playing in my head. But every time somebody says anything about baseball, I always think in my head, is this your first place? Is your first baseball game?
Speaker 5: Is this your first?
Speaker 1: And generally the answer is no. You know, most people have been to a baseball game' that's a recordable but this is America. He's gotta be pretty young. It's one thing. It's like your first. This is your first high halai event. Well, yes, yes it is. You know, I'm this is foreign and I stumbled into it. You know, I saw the intro in Miami Vice, but that's all I know of it. But baseball, like, you're not. I mean, that's kind of an insult if you say that to somebody, because you know most of us have been to a baseball I do would precede that now now that I'm thinking about it, Yes, possibly preceded that statement for it to be to quote anarky, to quote Atlantis. Morsette Matt, yeah, I really do think.
Speaker 5: Is this your first?
Speaker 1: I think he would meant to be snarky.
Speaker 2: All right, Baseball's back, so a lot more, mister outman.
Speaker 1: Baseball's back, and we got Modello back on board. Somebody's getting paid, which is great for that person. Matt and I.
Speaker 2: Not much. It's time, you know, as much things change.
Speaker 1: The more things changed, the more them I remained to see it. They say it is time for the final hour fun fast in fact, Yeah, three fun facts brought to you by Concordia University, Irvine, Masters in Coaching. Who's Got the podcast tim kaits eighty four guests got the goods they do when it comes to enhancing and sharpening your coaching and administrative skills. Go to see dot edu slash coaching to sign up for the summer session.
Speaker 2: We think about the Internet as being ubiquitous. It's with us everywhere we go. We seemingly use it all the time in our daily lives, whether it's at work with the emails or the zooms, or the teams calls or the GPS. Half of the daily Internet traffic.
Speaker 1: Whatever my computer or whatever on every Sunday tells me how many hours I spent. Oh, yeah, you're on my phone or whatever. I'm like, does that include my books on tape?
Speaker 2: Does that includes everything? Include like your GPS? You know? Yeah, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: Badly as I think, Yeah, how do I get to the road the.
Speaker 2: Red Oh I don't know. Every single day, half of the daily internet traffic in North America is used by YouTube and Netflix.
Speaker 1: Half people leave it on. You know, I wake up in the morning some guy like screaming about an electric bike at four in the morning that no one bothered to turn off life it is time for quick its everybody you know speaking of leaving something on TBS and all that no longer has the NBA, right and then, but it does have the tournament. So this morning when I went downstairs, I was like, oh, it's Charmed.
Speaker 2: I missed Charmed, you know, so I feel like.
Speaker 5: TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys, man, they're having such a good time behind the scenes, yucking it up. When that guy's out there with his poocha.
Speaker 1: I thought that people in light beer commercials were having fun, but not as fun as the guys. What is that called real life.
Speaker 2: Pranks, prankster gangsters, something like that on when they're behind the scenes and they're like, she's not gonna say it, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, he so I can't take it. I watch it's always on mute and they're always just freaking out, all right. Dodgers Angels Freeway Tonight, Dodger Stadium, Rookie Sosaki on the mound, Dodgers on deck and five, first pitch at six, We'll talk to Gooby Mark Goobaza, our dear friend coming up next for our set hop of the season, our annual Hey, let's check in season preview with Gooby. Well, the owner said, you guys don't want to spend a lot of money, So what do you say? What do you do? What are you saying?
Speaker 2: Wow? You know, like the competitive spirit of.
Speaker 1: This now come now, we're young, We're gonna come.
Speaker 2: I feel good about the pitching, you know, I haven't really had pitching in the last Uh goodry, We're.
Speaker 1: Gonna set them off. The Lakers are forty six and twenty five. They have one nine in a row. They're really cracking the whip. They're taking on Detroit right now. The best team in the East they are playing great basketball. They're coming off the last second went over the MOCKI co on Saturday.
Speaker 2: I think the Lakers can win it.
Speaker 1: Well, here's JJ Reddick. We'll see if he feels similarly. It's all felt. I think rewarding to see the growth for the group. But it's it's it's onto the next thing.
Speaker 5: You got to.
Speaker 3: There's a lot we can get better at from tonight. There's a lot we can get better at from Miami. I do think growth wise. I thought our defense in the second half was on par with where we need it to be. But yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It's all.
Speaker 3: It's all kind of blends together, and you've got to enjoy the good moments.
Speaker 2: He's a hell of a coach man, you know, he's a hell of a coach. I'm not sure he's a hell of a coach. I don't care what Lebron says. That he dragged his guy away and that gravity rolled with him, and that's why Luke was open. I believe JJ drew that play up to perfection. I don't think it was gravity. I think you just did what you were told.
Speaker 1: But the NBA rescinded Luca's sixteenth technical foul so he didn't have to sit out a game.
Speaker 2: Why tech for me? Speaking of Luke, oh what happened?
Speaker 1: We would give me a named Western Conference Player of the Week for the second straight.
Speaker 2: Week, which is why they rescinded it.
Speaker 1: He scored thirty plus points in every game the Lakers nine game win streak. The Lakers are the only story keeping the NBA's nostrils over the water while they college basketball tournament is going on. He is the first player in NBA history.
Speaker 2: Clearly, you're not paying attention to the Spurs who have won twenty of twenty two. I mean, everybody is all over that story. They are all over that story that has escaped It is just the story of the year.
Speaker 1: So much escapes me. The Clippers aren't one hanging around one game under five hundred. They're at home denied versus the Milwaukee Bucks. Milwaukee bucksat tank. They can't beat the tanking teams. Teams are trying to tank and the Clippers are giving them victory. So whether Ampel's thanks for nothing now the Bucks an attempt to tank. Joannis too proud, too proud of a basketball player to sit it out to proud Greek, the Chiefs pro Bowl tight end. Another man of great pride. Let's go Chee. Travis Kelsey has signed his contract. Yes, yeah, let's go Chee. Just locking his stiff ass up for twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Say, man, I can't wait to hear what he's got to say on the podcast about it.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't even have to wait. It's it is a three year, fifty four point seventy three million dollar deal. Here he is with his message for Chiefs fans, Chiefs Kingdom. Let's go baby, it's official.
Speaker 5: He excited for twenty twenty six and just excited to put on and she's uniform in front of you guys again.
Speaker 1: Let's get arrowhead rocking baby. We'll see you guys in a few months.
Speaker 2: He started out, He started out four years ago, hip hop Instagram modeled Dayton Travis Kelsey, and then he remembered who he was and he kind of settled back into you know, straight down the middle, sensitive sweater wearing Taylor Swift. Marriage.
Speaker 1: Is that who he was?
Speaker 2: Travis Kelcey. Listen to the open when he's like, yoah, we'll see y'all. Oh, and then he like back did uh?
Speaker 1: So you think he went harder? He went harder, jump off of it and then remember it, put his forty down yes, and then picked up his mimosa. Indeed, let's hear it apparel sprints one more time, please, Jeeves Kingdom. Let's go baby, it's official.
Speaker 5: Excited for twenty twenty six and just excited to put on a uniform in front of you guys again.
Speaker 2: Let's get arrow ahead, rocking baby.
Speaker 1: We'll see you guys in a few months. Yeah, he had to pull back. He said, you know what, that's a little too much urban flavored. Figure out what I'm doing here? Who am I? I don't know, I'm Jean Valjo.
Speaker 2: I want a desperately beat my old meat.
Speaker 1: UCLA was ousted by yukon last night, seventy three to fifty seven. Second straight year the Bruins couldn't make it out of the first week end of the tournament.
Speaker 5: How do you know that?
Speaker 1: Well? Is make on a hot seat. That was a topic on Rogan and Rodney. Is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Nice try guys, like if they were scared to buy de Sean Foster out Terrible for thirty five dollars and a jolly b gift card. Just because McK cronin's number moves a little bit in about a month does not mean he's gonna get fired.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 1: Sorry, not unless Patino wants to come out here and set up organized crime in Westwood.
Speaker 2: That's Katese's guy. But did you see what the number falls down to. I mean it dramatically goes down patrols selling it. I mean, do you know what it goes down to though?
Speaker 1: Twenty one to eighteen yes, eighteen million dollars buying.
Speaker 2: Okay, chump change.
Speaker 1: Speaking of struggle of che scoops at the ES, well, that to scoops and some more and the deed to the building. Uh here is uh McK cronin. After the game? Do you feel like.
Speaker 2: Anything needs to change with the approach, roster construction or the way.
Speaker 4: You're I have no right now. I'm worried about tonight consoling the gosh.
Speaker 2: We'll stay here in the front row.
Speaker 4: I'd like about five more million, there's my answer.
Speaker 6: You're telling me there's not one person who can stroke a twenty million dollar check right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, he not even asking for that, and this is UCLA basketball.
Speaker 4: I'd like about five more million.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're telling me there's not one person who can stroke a twenty millillion dollar chuck right now.
Speaker 4: I'd like about five more million.
Speaker 1: If your number one donor wasn't just exposed this is sexual deviant.
Speaker 4: I'd like about five more million.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't have to say that, Bumpy.
Speaker 6: You're telling me there's not one person who can show a twenty million dollar chuck right now.
Speaker 1: I know one, but he's in a little bit of he's a little bit of a tight spot right now.
Speaker 4: There's Miles.
Speaker 2: You need to call Candy coach, see how they hell he got that check stroked.
Speaker 4: I like about five million.
Speaker 6: You're telling me there's not one person who can stroke a twenty million dollars chuck right now.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not telling you anything. Couldn't dare five million.
Speaker 1: The NCAA tournament is off to its best start.
Speaker 2: Utah States ad ten million, So Mick is like, I just need five million. You to States like I need ten million, five more million, five more mill.
Speaker 7: I'd like about five more million, more more. There's Miles, so you might have to strike check for all twenty. Yeah, the tournament's doing great. Despite Charles Barkley talking to a wrinkly basketball.
Speaker 2: I'm holding this.
Speaker 1: I'm hey, give me a kiss that, Chuck. Come on, I kiss your pot?
Speaker 2: What am I doing today? Seth, shut up and hold this basketball and don't say a word. All right, it's gonna be a great comedy bit with Chuck. But I want to give analysis. Shut up, Seth and hold the face, you idiot.
Speaker 1: Despite that, despite doing a number of very stupid things and putting Nate Berlison in a no host chair, no win situation.
Speaker 2: But I want to provide analysis. Just be happy you're there, man, Just be happy they included you on.
Speaker 1: This five percent increase from last year. That must have been that wrinkly scrotem basketball that Charles Barkley was spending time with. I mean, if you can't have Charles Barkley on TV and have success, like you're you've done something like I've done a lot of bad TV on cable television, Like this is really bad. Like I was like, wow, I wouldn't do that, and I'm a whore, Like I wouldn't do that, and I wouldn't hold the wrinkley basketball. I would be like, guys, there's no way this is gonna work.
Speaker 2: It's like this is special effects. It's freaking low pan floating around in big trouble in little China. It's that wild looking ahead. I'm like, what is this? Shut up, seth and hold the ball. People love it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been no. I think the games are just good.
Speaker 2: They are incredible games.
Speaker 1: U c l A Football announced the twenty twenty six Spring Game will take place on Saturday. Mason, we're at We're at at James Madison University. Let's go, coach, everybody's going back east to Virginia Sparnburgers, Coach.
Speaker 2: The mission is going to be free. That's not what it says. It's not a jmu Are you sure?
Speaker 1: I'm positive I heard that Thomas Jefferson here skeleton is going to ride a horse around the track.
Speaker 2: It's it's at the.
Speaker 1: Rose Bowl, not it's so far and Mason is free is free? Parking is one hundred dollars. Ob If you'd like, oh, b what's up? Ob Hey? Let me ask you a question. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you see my face? One word? Go ahead? Uh, you got some for us? I won't have both of those things.
Speaker 2: You're very very nice.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I asked the cameraman if I was in focus, he said, unfortunately, yes, you are in focus.
Speaker 2: Hey, guy's funny man.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with lurn Park is not coming up down with me? What's up?
Speaker 2: Baby?
Speaker 1: This is Petro Send.
Speaker 2: Money on to Man demand mand Man Metro saying money AM five to seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Got play by play all over the place. Tonight Dodgers v Angels first pitch, Dodger Stadium six ten pm. And on our sister station, AM eleven fifty Clippers versus Bucks will tip off at seven thirty. A reminder, good vibes and better deals are at BJ scored Delicious Entree, A warm Gouey PAZOOKI just thirteen bucks, so they got it all Smash Burger's Depasta the Ultimate Steel only at Pj's.
Speaker 1: Calling All Angels. He bit his time for our preseason right on the doorstep of twenty twenty six check in with one of our favorite baseball people. Surry works for a different team than we have here on the station, but that's truth. There are no borders in our hearts when it comes to Mark Gubazaw. He's in the ring of honor in Kansas City. It's the World Series champion. When he pitched, he hated hitters, but now he's been loved by everybody. And he had a glove had Yes, he did go out there with a glove on his hand. Sit his time for Mark Gubazan on the Southern California tell you to need a celebrity hotline Freeway series tonight. What are the angels like? What does Gooby think about things? In general? Here? He is on Petters some money? What's cracking, Gooby? How are you? It's great to hear from you.
Speaker 5: Petro. It's Matt. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 5: And yeah, it's surprisingly. I did bring a glove out there every once in a while to the mat. I don't know why, but I did.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, you have to punch the ball with your fist.
Speaker 2: Ah, make it a little hard, close broken bones.
Speaker 5: Ball is despy my body to break things. That's what it would used to be. That's how I got out.
Speaker 1: You know, Gooby, you've been doing this a long time now. I remember when you were doing like, you know, maybe a third of the games or whatever it was decades ago. It feels like and you've been doing this quite some time. You're a grandfather. Now you're the best looking grandfather, probably at least in California. But overall, what keeps you coming back to the ballpark every day? Gooby? What keeps you inspired to keep going to baseball? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't you know what I think part of it is. You know, it's been doing it for so long, and I always joke around, I need an itinerary this survive in life. Tell me somebody's got to tell me where to be. So this is the best way to do it. Is I got a baseball game coming up, or practice, adding practice, something that give me a reason to get up and keep my brain going. So I love what I'm doing. I mean, I love being around the guys. You know, this is like the third year in spring training. I got to put on a uniform and get get to talk to some many younger players on the team and be kind of part of that family. But also just be able to be in the broadcast of all the guys and girls from you know, in the truck and the people were working with from Wayne Rendazo and Erica Weston and Patrick O'Neill and you know, Tim Salmon, Garrett Anderson, all the guys. It's just fun to be around a group. And I think that's part of the reason why this keeps me going, because I love being around and love talking baseball, and I love the game.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, we would have understood and answer of I get to go to a ballpark and watch Mike Trout play every day as a viable answer to what would keep you going? Do how does Mike look? And and kind of where do you think he's at gooby in his career. You know, it was, like I said, five years ago, this was the best player that we thought may have ever played the game of baseball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Matt, I think the last seven or eight games of the season last year, after he hit his four hundred career home run, he found his swing. And then now he's back in centerfield where I think he's most comfortable being at it in center field. And I know they moved him over to a corner outfield position to take a little bit off his body, but he feels he's better suited for the game itself mentally and physically in center field. And you know, he had a nice game yesterday at a couple of hits going on the right field, one left field. I feel he's going to have one of those seasons you always feel a great player has at least one tremendous run in him still, and I think he's got that in him right now. And you know, I talked to a lot of people. I mean, we all know where the All Star Game is this year. It's in Philadelphia. I mean, it looked better way for Trouty to put it all together and go to and represent the Angels in the All Star Game too, in Philadelphia this year. So I think it's going to be a special year for trout this season.
Speaker 2: You always talk seems like every time we do this are before the season, check in Gooby, we're talking about pitching and there's excitement about young pitching. How about this year? Is is it the same? Does it feel different? How's the depth? We know that's an issue for any team.
Speaker 5: I think this year I feel pretty good about it. I mean, I think the biggest acquisition the Angels had all off season. Really what you think about is Mike Maddocks is their pitching coach. I mean, his track record speaks for itself. Last year, the Rangers, I mean a Texas Rangers, a team that's always known for their hitting led the America League in era, and he's worked with a couple of guys that has bullpen al ready for you guys know, Kirby Yates was with the Dodgers last year, but he was tremendous with Maddox down there in Texas. But there's so many really good arms in the system and they're a couple going to make the roster now with a couple of guys on the IL to start with. But you can always say great stuff, but you got to develop them and you got to perform. And that's the bottom line. If you don't perform at the level where you're supposed to be able to, it doesn't matter how much talent you have. So I think Maddix is the guy that can tap it out of them, and I think that's why they're gonna be a lot lot better this season.
Speaker 1: Great Mark Gubaza is our guest to me calling the game Tonine on fan Duel, and you'll hear him all season long, chopping it up with the Dazzler and whoever else doing Angels baseball, and we always appreciate him. What are your impressions of Kurt Suzuki so far, Gooby, what do you think he's going to bring to the table as a young manager.
Speaker 5: And I think the thing I liked about him the most immediately in the clubhouse with those guys. He's obviously he's a young manager, but a lot of times you see managers or former catchers so they're managing the pitching staff on the field as a player. But I think he's allowed and he's delegate a lot of authority to his coaching staff in general, which allows me to think that he's listening to the coaching staff. They feel they're part of it, they have information, you know, you know John Gibbons, it's the bench coach has been around for a long long time. Mentioned Mannex already. But I look the fact he listened, because sometimes the game speeds up on you as a manager and you might think you know everything's going on, but something's happened so quickly you're not prepared. But he's really been good about having those guys feel real comfortable saying, hey, this is what I think you need to do, or you might want to get this guy up. You might want to you know, loosen up this guy to get come in to pinch it, or pinch run, all those things have worked out pretty well from them so far. And he's got the young guys and it's the best conversations I've seen from this this entire you know, group of players in a long time, where they all feel they're on the same page with the manager and they're and they're comfortable with what his voice is right now as far as getting his team going and not fighting into hey, this team's not any good. They're gonna lose us such a such amount of games that you know this when today we're going to turn it around. He hasn't believe in that why not us type of mentality this year? Why shouldn't we be a competitive team. Why shouldn't we be talking about winning a division? So I think that's what all the players feel that for once, it's not about, hey, we just want to be competitive. No, he's talked about I want this team to win because there's no reason why we shouldn't believe they can win.
Speaker 1: The one and only Mark Goober is a friend to all and a friend of great sports talk. There's no doubt about it. We always have these conversations for many years. We talk about the Angels and then we move on to the Dodgers. And our question about the Dodgers is, gosh, Gooby, they're so close, but they can't get over the hump. What's wrong with the Dodgers and the playoffs? Well, certainly that's not the narrative anymore. Now. The narrative is, are the Dodgers ruining baseball? You're right here, you have a front row seat to it in town, Gooby. What do you make of what they've built?
Speaker 5: You know what, I'm one of those people. I can't believe people say the ruin of base So I think what they've done is tremendous. They've done things within the parameters of baseball to be successful. And that's why. I mean, when you look at last year in the World Series, they were a team that was under control. They could have easily lost that World Series game six inn games. Basically they should have lost those games.
Speaker 2: But they didn't.
Speaker 5: Why because they didn't panic. They didn't you know press. They went out and they had starters pitching and relief for him, and pitching tremendous for him. They had guys like Miguel Rojas hitting a three to two slider out to tie the game up. I mean, they did everything well. I think what they're doing for baseball for me is great. It's it's like what I came up it was the Yankees were the same way. I mean, I couldn't wait to face the Yankees. I know there's a lot of pitchers out there that can't wait to face the Doctors because they have so many superstar players that elevate your game. I mean, I would joke around last night if you were at George Clausen, your your first five guys are facing a light up is show Hay Tucker beats Freeman and Smith. I mean, what are you thinking of it? I mean, that's unbelievable what they do. And then you're talking about you got like Hernandez hitting seven and months he's down to the bottom of the line up. I mean, they're that deep. But it's also motivates you as a pitcher and a player to play your very best game. I mean, we look at the Angels last year. It wasn't a good year by any stretched imagination, yet somehow, some way, they won all six games against the Dodgers because they bring out the best in the players when you face them. So I think I'm gonna be I'm gonna say this too forever that I think they're great for the game of baseball because they've done everything you're supposed to do to win games and give an opportunity for the fans to say, hey, listen, this team is great and we're gonna win every night.
Speaker 2: Yeah and goofy. It feels like, you know, and I know it happens in occasionally for a team or two in every offseason, but it really does feel like the Dodgers have sort of spurned this this this arms race. You look at the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Cubs, the Braves, like all of these national fan base sort of baseball blue butt bloods added to their rosters look like they're contenders for their division. And it does feel like it's a response to what you just kind of mentioned that if you want to play in the World Series, you're probably gonna have to contend with that kind of lineup.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's the thing. It's the beauty of the game too, because as forces clubs and owners that are willing to do so to do whatever it takes to put on a winning product. You can throw the New York Mets in that conversation too. Clubs that want to win know that to win a World Series right now, you have to go through the Dodgers, especially if you're in the NASH League and the NL West and any any team that gets in the post. I mean, the Phillies easily could have won their series against the Dodgers last year too, but they they turn a great wheel play. They did everything well to win that series against the Phillies. So baseball is the one sport I think, no matter how good you are, if somebody's on on the mountain, the opponent on the other side and he's dealing, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You're not winning.
Speaker 5: We saw that in the World Baseball Classic. How incredible that was that. You know, the Dominican Republic team had the best lineup I think I've ever seen in my life, yet they didn't win. They didn't did where they score one run against Team USA. It's just it's just a matter of putting yourself in position to win. The Dodgers have done that. Now every team is trying to catch up to him.
Speaker 1: Mark Gubazza, there's nobody better, and there's nobody we appreciate more. David Vasse said he was making fun of your jacket was that warranted Gooby or what was the deal there?
Speaker 5: Well, of course he was because he was wearing another free shirt he always had every single day. So that's why I was giving him grief. I said, you know what I'm dressing. I'm trying to dress the part, and you're getting free stuff. I said, and why don't you pass some of that free shirts around to me and maybe a couple that might fit you better.
Speaker 2: Well done, You could have.
Speaker 5: Killed He's gonna killed me for that one. He's gonna kill me for that one. You know that one.
Speaker 1: He deserves it. Nobody deserves it more.
Speaker 5: Yes, he does.
Speaker 1: The great Mark Goubaza will be listening tonight. It's always a pleasure to watch Gooby do his thing. And another great season from Gooby Collin Angels game with the Dazzler. We love your Gooby. Have a great weekend, I mean a great week and have a great Freeway series.
Speaker 5: Thanks Petros mad You guys are the best man. I love talking.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows more baseball than us. You know, we're a couple of ree. I mean, there's like moneyball here every day Brad Pitt and Jonas it is. Yeah, it's awesome. We thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more Petros and money. We'll do the Dead in the Live Guy Birthday other day, and then we'll get it to Tip Kates with Morocco Casino Dodgers on deck with this we that will meet you a lot of Monday mercifully coming to an end. All the sponsorship is back. Southern California's most listened to sports talk show. This is Money on Demand. Thanks for listening, everybody. It's Petro send Money saying good night, and we will be back on tomorrow. Hold on your back to back World Series Champion Dodgers opening days three days away. Right now at Verizon you can lock in your low prize for three years so you can save big. Visit your So Cal Verizon store today. Freeway Series tonight for you Yowling Baseball Cats and World Freeway Series Action tomorrow where we will start at two and only go to four. So a flex alert again tomorrow. Wellert, but for you Clipper types, do not despair. The clip ship is sailing. Yeah, we got it there on that they are.
Speaker 2: Taking on a pack of Bucks wild Bucks. With tumult, strife and discord in their ranks, They're.
Speaker 1: Gonna have to shell them from the Armory.
Speaker 2: Yes they are. That is tonight at seven thirty pm. It'll be on our sister station. I am eleven fifty because sometimes you just gotta laugh. And when we see the Dodger.
Speaker 1: Sometimes ball season comes, you get sent back to OKAC like Camp, Hey, Adam, how's it going over there on eleven fifty with a hay song Camp.
Speaker 2: I'm not into it right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I bet you're.
Speaker 2: Not now beating out Matt.
Speaker 1: No, your dead guy birth there o the day is nat Reid. Uh Matt Reid actually the name of a really cool uh Art Deco kind of postmodern artist in the Palm Springs area. But in this case, Matt Reid is an outlaw nickname Texas Jack well not to be confused with Texas Jack Vermillion of Tombstone fame. Here are a couple of other Cosmopolitans. May I introduce Creek Johnson and Texas Jack Vermilion, also known as shoot your eye Out Vermilion, famous from the Wyatarupdate. Now, this Texas Jack was a little bit different. Nathaniel Reid was a nineteenth century outlaw would have been one hundred and sixty four today who went robin folks, and he really enjoyed it. His dad died fighting for the Union in the Civil War in the West. At twenty one, he moved to the American Frontier, working jobs in Oklahoma, Idaho, and Wyoming. He first robbed a train, convinced by his foreman to do so in Junta, Colorado, and he took to it. Matt, you know like some people, you know Sineta Piano.
Speaker 2: He did what he loved, robin people.
Speaker 1: He made six thousand dollars on that robbery, and he said, this outlaw life is for me. For nine years he formed a gang, robbed banks, robbed stage coaches, rob trains, even captured a large shipment of gold Bouleon right here in California.
Speaker 2: I like a good bullon But everything.
Speaker 1: Changed in a robbery of a train that had some gold on it. Whoa at Blackstone Switch. He had Tom Root, a full blooded Cherokee Indian with him who was known for his size and strength. He was supposed to break open the strong boxes when he got on the train with his brute strength and his hands, but Jack flipped the switch too early and the train guy saw the light change and he was able to stop the train. Well, there's nothing to fix. They started running towards the train, shooting and a hollering, but there was no gold on the train. Instead, there was a bunch of armed guards because they heard about the robber. Oh no. A gunfight lasted for an hour. One of Texas jacksman died. He was shot escaping and left behind, and much like many westerns that we've seen over the years, nurse to Hell by an Indian woman, Oh American Express put out a price on his head, which is why he only went to places where they took visa. He escaped, went to Arkansas, swore off crime, turned state's evidence, served about a year in prison. The guy, well, the guy that shot him in the botched robbery, was the famous law man Bud Ledbetter Root died in a shootout later on. Later in life, Texas Jack became an evangelist, preaching the rewards of a respectable, law abiding life, and toured with a series of wild West shows which Matt and I are destined for. Later in life, it seems Planting. His memoirs were published in nineteen thirty six, and Texas Jack died in Tulsa in nineteen fifty at eighty seven. So not a te sip to Tulsa, which is the newswats.
Speaker 2: Whyted to shed that t sip label? You know, die with honor in Tulsa. Well, you're a live guy. P. Eighty one and he's still doing it. One of Hollywood's all time great screenwriters. Six Oscar nominations for screenplay, one for Best Picture, three more for co writing screenplays. Happy Birthday, Eric Roth. Quickly, we'll get one of the most memorable scenes he penned brilliant dialogue from one of those Oscar nominated movies. Here's Mike Wallace losing his ass from the inside.
Speaker 1: He cut the guts out of what I said? Where's the rest? Where the hell's the rest? Cut the guts out of what I say? You cut it? What you do? You cut the guts out of what I said?
Speaker 6: Was the time.
Speaker 8: You corporate lackey who told you your incompetent little fingers are the requisite skills.
Speaker 1: To edit me? Mike. I'm trying to band aid a situation here, and you're not. Mike. Mike, Mike, Mike.
Speaker 8: Try, mister Wallace. We work in the same corporation, doesn't mean we work in the same profession.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do.
Speaker 8: Now you're gonna finesse me, lawyer me some more. I've been in this profession in fifty years. You and the people you work for are destroying the most respected, the highest rate of the most profitable show on this network.
Speaker 1: Mike, Mike cut the guts out of what I said.
Speaker 2: Our man wrote that. Uh, today we celebrate Eric.
Speaker 1: Mike Wallaston.
Speaker 2: Uh, he did the Insider. He did Forrest Gump. Here's his bio. Born in the big town. Pops was radio writer.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's better than Gump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, considerably.
Speaker 1: Thanks for giving me age.
Speaker 2: Leon Roth was his dad, a film professor and producer. Eric grew up boxing. He was a hell of a boxer, but he was like, I don't like this New York thing. I'm out of here. So he went to UCSB and then u c L Film School. He got his first script picked up at twenty five, to Catch a Pebble.
Speaker 1: But they cut the guts out of what he said when they made the movie.
Speaker 2: His first big break was the Nickel Ride in l a noir nominated for the Palm Door It Can.
Speaker 1: I might have to check that out.
Speaker 2: He was only twenty five twenty six. He did drowning Pool.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a good one. That's uh, that is a.
Speaker 2: Paul Newman I believe, Yeah, Paul Newman plays lou Archer.
Speaker 1: That he moved it to a different place. It's supposed to be in southern California. But that's a Ross McDonald mystery. And Ross McDonald is the best Southern California mystery writer in the same line as like Raymond Chandler.
Speaker 2: Well our man. Eric Roth was able to adapt it for the.
Speaker 1: Silver State, moved it to Louisiana. Did appreciate He did.
Speaker 2: The Onion Field with James Woods. That was Ted Danson's debut. The nineties in the yachts were his thing though. Ninety four Forrest Gump, ninety seven Costner The Postman, ninety eight Redford in The Horse Whisper.
Speaker 1: Let's just skip by that. I loved it. Hey, that guy we had like the restern Star was in The Horse Whisper.
Speaker 2: Oh nice?
Speaker 1: Remember the one we had on Friday?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh that's right, you don't remember. I do? Remember how you do? Ninety nine The Insider two thousand and one Lee, Oh five Munich, So am I Murderer?
Speaker 1: Oh eight?
Speaker 2: Curious Case of Benjamin Button he did the remake of A Star is Born, the remake of Doune parts one and two. There's eighty one still writing, freaking done. They don't say much No, I guess that's why you can do it at eighty.
Speaker 1: One speak Sandama Mountain.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: He ride at a giant worm and I cannot hear.
Speaker 2: The executive produced House of Cards for its entire run. Three Riders Guild Association awards, one OSCAR about fifty nominations. He lives here in Santa Monica. Five kids, some of them are in the business. He lost his fortune in the Bernie Madeoff Ponzi scheme.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why he had to do the Dune.
Speaker 2: I can write that. Don't worry, don't worry about it. I got this covered.
Speaker 1: I gotta sand him out.
Speaker 2: He's eighty one today, Eric Roth.
Speaker 1: I heard Mike that even though he's old, it didn't stop Spacey from grabbing it his pozzo too. I'm gonna take it. I'm gonna take a swipe with this. I'm Spacey and take a swipe at everybody's boots.
Speaker 2: I'll care for you.
Speaker 1: The grab at it right now, It's like I feel like I'm working at the Uh working at the farm. Pull him out all right, we'll be back with more Petro send money tomorrow that it's another two o'clock show. Thank you for Modello coming on back and sponsoring Modelo. Meet him a lot of Monday. And a big thank you to Kevin Spacey for not grabbing our boots.
Speaker 2: That's right, Thank you, keV.
Speaker 1: We're telling me back on tomorrow.