Speaker 1: Welcome to Dodger Talk and great to have you on a show that so many were calling and asking about you last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hi, guys, I'm happy to be here. Thank you for having me. I'm excited for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited too. I mean, I feel like I know you already with the way everybody's been pumping you up to me. What was last year like for you to have that type of season at Triple A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. I mean, it was a fun year. We had a great team too, So it was just a lot of swing changes and approach decision decisions that I made like during the offseason and really committed to during the year. So being able to see it all pay off and see the right results was really cool for me, and then just just continuing to try and build on it.
Speaker 1: Your season actually started with Team USA the Premiere sixteen where they were playing in Japan, and your manager was Mike Soosha. One of your coaches was Dino Eble, who's the Dodgers third base coach. How much did that experience help you get ready for the season and the one that you had the big, you know, coming out party that you had in Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredibly. I mean those those guys, that whole staff, including them, like the baseball knowledge was insane, so so being able to pick their brains and talk about things whether you're on the field or not, like watching something happen and kind of learning from them, seeing the way they see the game was huge and I tried to take advantage of it as most as much as I could.
Speaker 1: How much did Rich Hill try to buddy up to you being from Massachusetts and try to brow out that you guys are boss Bostonians.
Speaker 2: As one of the first things we talked about, and then we became We became pretty close throughout that tournament, and we've actually been on a couple of flights together, whether it's coming home for All Star Break or heading back out, so we've been able to kind of stay in touch and it's been awesome.
Speaker 1: Ryan Ward is joining us, Yes that Ryan Ward is joining us on Dodger Talk. You can follow him on Instagram our Ward oh twelve on Instagram and really get to know him through social media. Get to know him right here on Dodger Talk, and you will get to know him during this upcoming season because he is going to be in Big League camp. You are on the forty man roster. Did you believe the Dodgers were going to add you to the forty man roster or did you believe that they were going to you were going to move on and get an opportunity with another team. What were your feelings after the season.
Speaker 2: You know, I really wasn't sure what was going to happen, especially with the Dodgers. I mean, they make so many moves you never really know what's going to happen. So, you know, I was kind of just sitting there on that last day of kind of just sweating it out, wondering which way it was going to happen, what was going to happen, which way it was going to go. And I eventually got the call that they added me, and I was excited. I mean, forty man Dodger or forty man roster for the LA Dodgers is no little thing. So I'm excited to get back out there and get on the field and just continue playing and having fun.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know how you felt, Ryan, but I'll let you in on something. You may have heard me say this when you were on hold, but literally every day for the last three months of the season, as you were exploding and having your tremendous year. I literally got a phone call on this show, or somebody would stop me at the stadium, or even some broadcaster would ask me. Every single day I had a Ryan Ward streak going where somebody would ask me about Ryan Ward and why he wasn't called up to the Dodgers. I'm sure you got that more than I did. How did you handle all that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was getting I was getting a lot of dms from people, you know, asking why I'm not up there and all this stuff. But you know, it's a tough spot because like I can't control any of that stuff, so so me thinking about it and pondering it is something I try not to do. Obviously I think about it all the time, but I try not to like sit there and think about it twenty four to seven. You know, just just focus on My big saying is control what I can control, and that's going out every night and doing my best. You know, can can control moves that are being made or decisions being made. I can control how I prepare for the game, how I play in the game, and that's kind of where I direct all my focus.
Speaker 1: Do you use it as fuel for motivation. Do you play with a chip on your shoulder because you still haven't got that call yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I feel like I've always played with a chip on my shoulder. It's just something that you know, gets the fire lit underneath me and just pushes me to be better every day. And I just try to go out there and carry that ship around and leave it all out there every night, whether it the preparation before the game, the play during the game, looking at stuff the next day about the game before and trying to make changes and you know, just continuing to build. So I'm always trying to find ways to be better and push myself to be better.
Speaker 1: Since you are from Boston, obviously a crazy sports town, especially for the Red Sox. When you were growing up, did you have a favorite player on the Red Sox or on another team who who inspired Ryan Ward to want to become a professional baseball player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously Red Sox fan. Growing up, I was a big, big David Ortis fan, just because I was I was a lefty. He was the lefty power guy. Like it was. David Ortiz was like he was an icon around here. So David Ortiz for sure was my favorite Red Sox growing up. I mean I watched them all the time. And yeah, i'd say David Ortiz for sure.
Speaker 1: Were you old enough to remember Dave Roberts stealing that base in two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I've watched that thirty for thirty documentary a hundred times, you know, d like least four or five times in a row and then they shit and the homer, all of it.
Speaker 1: Have you have you spoken to Dave Roberts? I know you haven't been in big league camp. Have you had many interactions with him? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been in I've been in big league camp for I think the past two years. That's free.
Speaker 1: I apologize. I must have introduced myself to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, no, no, no, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Alex Friedland and Gavin Stone try to dominate my time. I forget, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, that's definitely fair. So, yeah, we've had a couple of conversations like during spring training for sure, here and there, But no that that's never came up. So I'm sure I'm sure will at some point, but just hasn't yet.
Speaker 1: Ryan is our guest. He was the Pacific Coast League player of the year in twenty twenty five, looking to make a big impact for the Dodgers in twenty twenty six, and I'm sure this has got to be a huge step closer to you realizing your dream. Ryan. With the Dodgers outfield situation in flux, especially in left field, you got to feel optimistic that this is going to be the year that you get an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean especially with kind of like you said, being put on the forty man like gives you a real shock or int that they can do it during the year with all those news and everything, but being on it already is huge, and you know, like trying to get my body into the best spot it can be, strength wise, getting all my recovery done, get my swing right in, you know, just trying to show up with my foot on the pedal all the way to the floor and then just give it everything I got and leave it out there. But trying to have fun with it too, you know. I mean, you can't go in there and then just play under pressure from myself day after day. It's because it's that's gonna hurt me. So just trying to have fun with it, enjoy it and learn from all those guys and talk to the guys, and I kind of like earlier I said, pick their brains about certain things, and you know, just improve and chase my dream every day.
Speaker 1: No doubt, you must be doing something right. Ryan Ward to hit thirty six home runs for Oklahoma City last year. Before I let you go, I got to ask you this, since you were part of the organization last year. Where were you watching number one, the eighteen inning game when Freddy hit the walk off home run? And number two? Where were you watching Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the eighteen inning game. I was at home, and I was having flashbacks too, because the before I got dropped about dollars, they played the Red Sox and had like that seventeen eighteen inning playoffs. Yeah, so I was having flashbacks to that while I was watching it. But a Game seven, I was actually at my buddy's house. There's a group of us all sitting there watching the game. So it was a really cool environment to be able to watch it. I mean, that was one of the craziest Game sevens I think I've ever seen in my life any sport. So we able to watch it with some of the guys and have something to celebrate with them. Was pretty cool, was.
Speaker 1: That In you're talking about some of the guys that you were teammates with at Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: Well, we were. I was with friends from home back in Massachusetts, but a lot of us from the OKAC team or in a group message and we're all texting throughout all the games and everything. So it was cool to be able to like integrate my OKAC friends and my friends from home, and everyone's kind of rooting for the same thing. So it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: How invested did you feel watching the Dodgers in the World Series.
Speaker 2: I felt pretty invested. I mean a lot of the guys I've played with because of they're either down in rehab or during spring training or I was down in a stay hot camp for all the series up until the World Series, so I was there staying ready in case something happened. So I was pretty invested in what was going on with them.
Speaker 1: Did you see this coming with Roki Sasaki when he was, you know, making his way back at Oklahoma City before he came back in September and did what he did in the postseason.
Speaker 2: When he really got going and kind of got his strength back, and it was in a role down in Okay. See, I mean, nobody was touching him. He was he was throwing strikes, he was town his only throwing hard. His splitter was unbelievable. And I was just kind of like, we're all kind of sitting there like, oh, like I think he's ready. I think he's ready to go back up there. It was really fun to watch while he was down there.
Speaker 1: That's so great, great perspective from a guy that everybody wants to see make his major league debut this year with the Dodgers, and that is Ryan Ward. Thanks a lot for the time, Ryan, can't wait to see you again in big league camp, like I have the last couple of years. And uh, i'll i'll, I'll box out Stone and Freedland and say, hey, we need some alone time here, all right, let me focus on this guy from Boston.
Speaker 2: That sounds good to me. Thank you for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: No, my pleasure. Thank you for the time. And we'll see you in a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see in a few weeks.