Speaker 1: Do you want to be in a county it's flowing me back on seven hundred, w adaddie, Man. We got a lot to get to today, for sure, this is a really interesting story. We have seen a lot of street razors and street takeovers in Cincinnati, and I'm yeah, I'm not sure if more younger people are doing it today than you did back in the day, or it could just be that we see it because cameras are everywhere, and these people are putting it online and it is a problem for sure. So what do you think about this? In Kentucky, lawmakers are working on a bill there that would allow the state to seize and destroy vehicles used in street racing or street takeovers. From a civil libertarian perspective, does a punishment fit the crime. It's a good idea. It's a good to turn on that From Newport Is, Kentucky Representative Matt Lehman, Democratic, Campbell County, Matt, welcome. How are you. I'm doing fine. I think we have the same temperature. No, kidd, it was like third to walk the dog yesterday. Man, it was thirty degrees. It felt like it was eighty.
Speaker 2: I know what. That was a nice tot break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to get forty late next week. It's going to feel like we live in Palm Springs. Before I get into the crushing of cars used in street racing real quick, I want to touch on something you're voting on, and that is the new landlord bill in Kentucky law that would terminate a rental agreement in three days notice when law enforcement or fire protection emergency services are dispatched more than three times within a six month period to the same location, and it's because of the tenants conduct. I think that's really good laws the landlord myself, because on this side of the river anyway, at least in Cincinnati, they expect the landlord to essentially be a babysitter. If you're a grown adult and you're running a property, you know, I shouldn't get in trouble because you're speeding or doing a streets takeover. Yet when you're in my property, it's like, well, wait a minute, these are growing. I could see if I neglected the property, but that's about it. I can't control the comings and goings of an adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now it's you're right, and and actually the bills proposed in Kentucky is actually pretty similar to some of the surrounding states, so that you know, this is Kentucky's in some ways a little bit behind on this. And and you know, look, I anytime I hear a bill that the landlords are pushing, Look, sometimes I'm a little skeptical. You know, they have their own interest, but it's but you're right. So the way a lot of municipal walls are, it puts all the burden on the landlords. So it's if you own a property and it's a nuisance or your tenants a nuisance, it becomes the landlord's property. And the landlord doesn't always have the tools, uh to remove a tenant that is a true problem and a nuisance to the neighborhood. So this this would help and kind of reduce the timelines, uh, you know for evicting a real problem tenant. Two issues that I you know, I've talked to the bill sponsor, we may say, you know to two issues that were brought to me. One was actually from the city of Newports, the mayor Tom Gadilly Junior. I mean he mentioned, look that the the largest number of calls for police in the city and Newport is actually parking in fractions, and so we don't you know, we don't want to be evicting people that you know, they've had three calls because their neighbor doesn't like where they're parking. You know, I don't think we got to make sure this is balanced, that you know that there's real infractions and the real problem in the neighborhood and not just you know, your neighbor doesn't like and keeps calling the cops. And the other one is, you know, make sure that you know, we don't want to have the landlord making the call say hey, you know, I think rent's gone up. I could get a better tenant and you know, allow of the landlord to make three calls and uh, you know, try to get that out. But well, you know, I think there's some we'll get the bill in pretty good shape. And I think it's got a good chance.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, good, that's all I think. That's I think that's good legislation. Matt Lemon. Let me pivot then to the issue at hand here, and that is, if you're caught up in a street race or a street takeover, uh, it's not a three strikes And now this is interesting. So the first defense if they catch you doing this is up to one thousand dollars five six months in jail and ninety day vehicle impoundment. Second time, it's a year in jail, two thousand dollars fine, license suspension, and the state takes your vehicle. Why why the second time? Why not? The third time is usually it's three strikes in, you're out. This is two strikes in, you're out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I so we passed a bill in the House last year pretty similar to the building proposed. It didn't make it through the Senate last year, so we've kind of made it, tweaked a few changes, and I think it made Look I voted for it last year. I'll vote for it again, you know. And I know people, you know, when you're taking property and so on, it's you know, civil libertarians get real cautious. But you know, I mean, this is very dangerous activity. I mean, we're talking about residential neighborhoods, cars going at very high I mean, these are souped up cars that can go one hundred hundred and fifty one hundred and sixty miles an hour, and it's just, you know, this is how people die. And you know, we've had real problems with this in certain parts of Kentucky, especially like in Louisville. So the bill sponsored bipartisan bill. There's two co sponsors from Republican and the Democrat. In fact, the Democrats. She was previously the mayor of Shively, which is a suburb of Louisville, so she you know, she she's been a mayor and now state legislator Beverly Chester Burton, so you know she understands it. I mean, there has to be as it's you know, it's not cool. I mean, and I think, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: We saw cam Taylor britt right, do you know what three times, you know, a third time he was a passionor but it's the car flipped over the other two times he's driving like two hundred miles an hour in the street.
Speaker 2: You can't have it, Yeah, agreed. And I and I just think, yeah, look, I mean sometimes three strikes is fine that you know that he's lucky he got a third try. I mean, you know, we just yeah, I mean, it is tough, but I think it's it's a very serious problem. And then we're going to address it really head on.
Speaker 1: So has this done anything to stop it in Louisville since introduced us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we'll see. And you made a good point. So after we did not pass it through the Senate last year, the City of Louisville passing unisial ordinance. You know, the mayor was on TV summer crushing a I think it was like one hundred thousand dollars dodge, you know, street racer. You know, right, we'll see, I mean to be honest, you know that this went into effect in the City of Louisville, I think in the spring. So we've seen it, you know, about nine months, so we'll see. We'll see if it's working. Anecdotes say it does seem to be and especially like I said, when we saw the mayor crushing that car, it got a lot of attention in Louisville. So yeah, we're hopeful that we'll be able to give the tools, not just to the City of Louisville, but you know, other other cities around.
Speaker 1: Well, we know that you know, you know, murder is not the capital punishment is not a deterrent for people. I don't know if this will generally thinking, oh, this will be a deterrent. There's there's plenty of knuckleheads out there. They'll continue to do that now. Now, granted, not all the cars, and certainly I would think it's a very small percentage of the cars involved in driving this fast, our one hundred thousand dollars vehicles, right that can go. Typically it's going to be someone in a you know, souped up Honda or something like that. Right.
Speaker 2: I think that's where you know, when you think I don't know, Look, I mean there's been street racing forever and I when I was in high school and you'd see it, I guess the place to do in northern Kentucky when I was growing up without in Florence and Dream Street and you'd see that you have souped up Hondas and stuff. But no, I think this is getting much more sophisticated and becoming And that's when it started to become a real like it's not just you know, teenagers behaving, you know, unsafe. It was like nearly semi professional. I mean, these are cars that were meant for racetracks, right, lots of money going into it, well organized as well, you know, they'd organized on social media, you know, and have these events. So it was really getting to a point where this this had to be strong, measureds needed to be taken.
Speaker 1: I got you. And so the is it is it getting worse? What is the day to say? Because you kind of harkened, hey back in the day people that used to drag race back tell you American graffiti from the nineteen fifties. Well, they're doing the same thing that that younger people are doing today. It's nothing new. But is it getting worse?
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, it's getting almost more professional. The cars are much more like these are street cars, I should say race cars or near race cars. They're able to go very high speeds, and like I said, they're you know, collecting crowds or organizing on social media. It was not just like I said, it's kind of a you know, just on a whim, We're going to go out to the countryside and find an open stretch of road and you know this is like I said. So, I don't know the data says it's more often, but it's certainly much more professional, with much higher specification cars going at much higher speed and a lot more people involved.
Speaker 1: He is Kentucky. Ret Matt Lehman out of a Newport, represents Campbell County and there's a proposal out second time around because it failed in the Senate. I believe you mentioned Matt last time, and that is to deal with the issue of street takeovers and street racers. And so if you're engaged in drag racing or takeover, first penalty is pretty stip six months in jail, ninety day impoundment, and up to a thousand dollars five Second time, they could very well take your car and destroy it. And that is the eye catching part. They seize your property, find you, maybe jael you, but also they're going to take that thing and smash it in a million pieces, regardless of what it's worth and how much you know, how much I could get for it in the market. And that for a second offense, how do you balance that, Matt with And that's a pretty severe penalty. The concerns about due process and proportionality, and of course the Eighth Amendment, which is the excessive fines concern that's an interesting constitutional question. I'm sure someone would challenge this lawn that the Supreme Court, I think in Indiana a few years ago said the excessive fine clause applies to states and vehicle forfeiture can violate that eighth Amendment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a couple of things. So one I do want to point out in the state law that we're proposing in the House, it would actually allow either for the crushing of the car or the sale of the cart auction, and then the money from that sale would actually go to a defense victims fund. So you know, it's it's not just about crushing the car and wasting money and making a point. You know, there is a mechanism that, yes, we could the state could collect after selling the car and use it for a good purpose. You're right. I mean, look, we always try to balance with the crime and the punishment. Like you said, eighth Amendment concerns. But and I do think that's been appropriately handled. First of all, again, this is a second offense. So you know, you do it once, it's you know, it's a it's a stiff fine. You do it twice. I mean, you you've been warned, you've done it once. I mean there is a I mean, look, there is a process. We don't just take the car and crush it. You know, it does have to go to the court. You have to be i mean convicted. So it's you know, this isn't just you know, when when you get into some of those issues, it tends to be you know, when there's like that civil forfeiture sor you know, when the police take something before you've had your in court. That's not the case here. So this is a pretty well established it would be a well established process, goes through full court process. You know, you get your day in court and the hearing. And like I said, this is only if this has happened the second time. And don't minimize I mean this, this is very very dangerous activity.
Speaker 1: No question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I think the different going over one hundred miles an hour. We're not talking about screwing around. I mean this, this is people die.
Speaker 1: And yeah, well we saw you know the Campdale brid thing I brought up earlier. There's in the streets as opposed to maybe the nineteen fifties, there's nowhere to go. It's the streets are more crowded and there's more people around and vehicles, so the screw streets are jam packed and it's only a matter of time. And now you know the breath will this include the people who are taking like them at intersection where they're doing burrons like donuts?
Speaker 2: No, so this is I and you know I'd have to take better. We worked on how to define what street racing is. This isn't just you know, driving too fast. This is I mean, we have plenty of laws about you know, speed driving. This is really about when it's organized and it's intended to take over the street for racing and like these kind of organized events. It's not just a driver driving in appropriately off and on.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought that might include that as well, because there's some leeway and read through the bill, looks like that that the criteria for what the standard is in that bill would meet those that are doing donuts in the streets. So is there something else say at play here?
Speaker 2: Too?
Speaker 1: Is that I remember when like kids were rollerblading or skateboarding and parking lots, so we had this huge ban and they can't skate. We're criminalizing skating. And then Minispela said, well, maybe we offered them on alternate, Maybe we build some skate parks. Do we need to do that with like, I don't know, there's plenty of land of race tracks. I mean, you know, maybe hey, look, I think give an outlet. If you're going to do it, here's a place to do it safely.
Speaker 2: That's actually not a bad idea. And we actually have the Kentucky Speedway that closed down a couple of years ago. If you've been down that, and maybe that's not a bad idea, and that the uh you know, and you can do it safely and make sure it's at the right place. Yeah, I'm not against that. And maybe maybe you have a good idea there.
Speaker 1: We'll throw throw it in there. You got to get people alternative, Like if you're want to do it, you want to do it, well, you sign a waiver and you can hear here's the strip and no one's going to get killed. You put some guardrails up or whatever. And if you're out there and you get hit, that's on you, it's not on us. And you know, we have plenty of we have plenty of paved road around that. Doing much or parking lots wherever it might be probably wouldn't be easy. Command you could get in with the car clubs that want to sponsor this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that may not be a bad idea.
Speaker 1: There's that, that's your idea. I'll tell you go ahead.
Speaker 2: I think so I'll call it the Scott Blown Memorial. Pre Racing ville or I'm still yeah, well, I mean you've got to get people an alternative otherwise.
Speaker 1: Now if you you know, because well where are we going to go do this? Well, there's nowhere to go do it because privately people can't afford the insurance. But certainly from the municipality or a government standpoint, you have the opportunity or something like that. I think. So, yeah, the other side, the other side of this, of course, when you talk about civil asset forfeiture, what bothers me is and you say the antent of the spirit of the law is this. But we know that municipalities, especially today, when they're when they're they're crunch or cash. I mean, look at the speed camera scam that's been going on for too long that they will look at as a revenue stream. And so now anyone caught and maybe look like they're racing, or two people driving fast at the same time at a highway or road, hey, now we're gonna nail you and seize your vehicle or hit you with a huge fine.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And if we get you a second time, great, we're gonna We're gonna simply take your vehicle. And to think that somehow we're not going to abuse that it can be abused. I mean, I will look at some cases around CVG for example, the DEA. Now that's federal, not local. But DIA got caught red handed not long ago. It's CVEG shaking down what taking eleven thousand dollars on the passenger. There's a huge case and I think it was Oklahoma or a deputy. There's a guy out raising money for a Christian refugees and orphans and they took fifty three grand in a traffic stop. He's on his way to the bank. Never charged him, never had his day in court. They kept the damn money. This happens all the time, and it's such a big problem. In the last twenty years. You may not know this, but in the last twenty years, something like seventy billion dollars has been seized from individuals like this, including vehicles. How do you make sure this doesn't turn into a case of abuse by the government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you bring up Look, the civil forfeiture issue is a real problem. I agree with that. This is not again, this isn't the case here. This is going to be a state crime and it's it. And you're like, I mean, at the end of the day, you have your day in court, you get your car back if you're found not guilty. Right, you know, at some point we have to trust our legal process in our course. And you're right, it's a balance. So I'm not going to quaim it will never be a case of a city trying to abuse this in Kentucky, and certainly we don't intend that to be the case, and certainly that we have our courts and have high level of faith in our courts to see through that. But like I said, this is very dangerous activity that's detecting people's live and again right now, it's been a real issue in Louisville, right and it comes up off and on, and you know, we just want to make sure that there are the tools to make sure people are safe. And again, this isn't just a nuisance activity. This is a deadly activity. So let's we have to kind of put that in balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it's a big problem in Louisville, probably Lexington, and you know, you're closer to Cincinnati than you are Louisville because you're a newport and you look across the river. Not your problem, but you see what's happening in Cincinnati, also in Dayton and elsewhere. So it's a problem across the country and in spri state for sure. We'll see where this goes, and I appreciate you joining the show. We'll probably follow up on this. I'm guessing the future. Is Kentucky Representative Matt Lehman joining the show here on a Newport Matt, thanks again for the time. Man, It's been great anytime. Thankscott, appreciate you. Be well. We'll get to a news update then we'll talk about this with you. And if you think that this is good law or could be right for abuse, my civil libertarian side of the thing hates it. I'll be honest with you. I'll tell you why. Also, if time allows the pause on ice in Springfield, not the cold weather ice rather, but of course immigration and customer enforcement that's been on pause because of a judge and maybe an angle on this. It has been considered yet I'm going to offer, and that are actually something called the facts of what it is we're dealing with. For those who compare this to what's happening in Minnesota, it's entirely two different things. And I'll explain why next seven hundred ww plony back on seven hundred WLW thanks again to Matt Layman, representative out of Newport Campbell County, to talk about this proposal that involves seizing a vehicle and crushing it if you're involved in street racing, and that would be for the second offense, not the first offense. Up to one thousand dollars fine for the first defense, six months jail, ninety day vehicle impoundment if you are caught speeding, if you've caught well racing. I should say in granted, it's a large problem, but I think there's a bigger problem this than that is. I look at this as someone who just doesn't trust government. I'm kind of old school that way. I'm a less government kind of guy. Today we have people who claim we want less government, but have no problem with more government as long as the people they support and voted for are doing it. And the problem with that logic. Rather than calling out those we supported and voted for, and without calling them out and saying, hey, listen, this is this is not acceptable. That's what occurs is something like this becomes law and it becomes abused because this is ripe for abuse. We've seen this before I mentioned that CBG, there was someone there's a few years ago guys got like eleven thousand dollars cash on them, not connected to a crime. You know, it's US legal currency. There's no reason to suspect this person was involved in crime at all. And yet because it was that amount of cash, they seized it and there was no hearing, no due process, nothing whatsoever. They keep it to the point where seventy billion dollars in the last twenty five years has been seized by the FEDS with absolutely no remedy to get that money back. I mean, you know, we know that state budgets, local budgets are squeezed, So doesn't that give the government more incentive to be more liberal in their application this law if they're looking to increase their bottom line. Hey, we need money, we need roads, we need cops, we need speedcare. Speed camera is a great example of that where it wasn't about stopping speeders, it was about getting revenue, revenue enhancement. And if you simply go, well, my guys supporting this, my girls supporting they are my person's against this, then this is what you wind up getting. And it does fit into what's going on to some degree right now in Springfield, Oh, this is on hold, and I'll tie the two together here, same same example. And what is happening with those TPS households in this ringfield areas? So as you well, where about this point the judge, a federal judge, is ruled against any action in Springfield right now, the administration is going to appeal because they want agents to go into Springfield. And I think they had three out of there's up to fifteen thousand. I think Haitian immigrants there, and there's three hundred of them allegedly they're looking at, but it could be more. And if there's three hundred people doing wrong things, you know, you want to enforce the laws in that regard. But I think that could be done locally. I'm not quite sure. You know, it's like the folks that are fighting in Minnesota right now, protesting. It's like, you know, not all the people that they're rounding up are good people. You know, you may be well putting your life on the line or screaming and protesting to protect someone who's getting hauled off, who certainly deserves it, who's not only here illegally but also is involved in a felony. Why would you why would you want that person living in your neighborhood. It doesn't make any sense. But the way this whole thing has been handled, it doesn't make any sense at all. And the opposite side is true as well. Now we are conflating because again we have to be loyal to a person or a party as opposed to the constitution. What's happening is the same thing with ICE is like, well, wait, hold on, just a second, ICE and temporary protective status, that those are two different things. You know, someone's here legally and the breaking the law. Now most people would say, well, just by being here legally, you're breaking the law, And sure, I suppose you are, and we deserve to know who is on this side of our border, otherwise we're not a sovereign nation, right. I think you can do this, probably a little bit more surgical as opposed to a catch all. But that is the chaos that has taken root in America today, for sure. I think when it comes though to those going, well, ICE is in Minnesota, so we want to do the same thing in Springfield, It's an entirely different situation, all right. So temporary protected status that is something that our government. Now maybe it certainly was under a different administration. And you can end this because it is temporary, But why are we into get right now? And I bring it up because if the conditions in Haiti and they're still in a state of emergency by the way, I think since twenty twenty four they went in a state of emergency and the State Department is still warning Americans not to visit Haiti because of kidnapping, crime, terrorism, civil unrestings like that. Gangs still control about eighty percent of the capital city of Porta Prince, and they've killed more than well thirty five hundred people in the first in about six every six months. Haiti has not had a president since the assassination of the president in July twenty twenty one. Last time they had elections was ten years ago. So going hey, you know what, it's temporary, everything's okay, you need to go back. It doesn't look that doesn't pass a sniff test, and so what does that say about us. Comparing this and equating this to what ICE is doing across the country is silly because it's not the same thing. These are people who were invited here and brought here by our government and did so in places like Springfield that was a dying community, and now I don't know if it's thriving. I've been in Springfield a while, but it's certainly a lot better off with the immigrants there. And I bring this up because my bottom line is the bottom line. It's about money, it's about capitalism, it's about enriching our tax space and having people in the country that want to do stuff and be productive, regardless of where they come from. If you came here legally, it's a different story. But these people were brought here legally by the United States government. And so all right, let's wave the magic wand and get rid of some ten to fifteen thousand people. I don't know if they're can get roll of them. It could just be a few hundred at this point. Again, again, there is just so much extreme extremes and exaggeration that it tends to drown out what the facts are. And I tend to look at the facts. So if you look at TPS whole an employment rate, this is nationally. I don't have the Ohio data in front of me, but the rate of those people who come this country under temporary protective status, their employment rate is ninety five percent. Ninety five percent. The other five percent maybe I don't know, stay at home parent could be someone who winds up becoming disabled. But ninety five percent employment in that community is astounding, which goes to show you what they are here to work and do jobs that the rest of us really think are beneath us. So for those that think, hey, we know, we got to throw them all out because they're eating dogs and cats, which is absolutely that's insane. What's going to happen to Let's say the building trades construction because a lot of the folks who come here from those countries. In this case we're talking about Haiti. Our men are in the construction field. We're talking industries like you know, building in grounds, clear landscaping. Landscaping is a really hard job. They're in the transportation that some truck drivers, manufacturing retail. Food service is a big one. Healthcare is a big one. There are thirteen thousand of them are nursing assistants, eight thousand caregivers. There is are Haitians alone who are taking care of our parents who are in assisted living or something on a situation like that. Agriculture of course another big one as well. Some fifteen thousand Haitians are in agriculture. These are jobs typically that we look at going, yeah, swinging a hammer, I don't know, working out in these elements, driving a truck. You know, they're in truck drivings, a noble ocuams, So they are all noble occupations. Healthcare is certainly a noble occupation, which we need more of those bodies. So what happens if we do this and now we're seeing the effects of this, the chilling effect that it has is all these Haitians are winding out, leaving, going somewhere else because they affer they're afraid they're going to get swept up, because they're conflating with what Ice is doing. And that may or may not be true. But again, if you're like, hey, and these people bought houses, I mean, the real estate market there turned around that I know about, Springfield's doing great. And because Haitians came in and starting to manufacturing, came in and created seven thousand jobs. Because say, hey, we've got a steady base of people here who want to show up to work, who are passing drug screening tests. That's what we need to build stuff to get stuff done, and we're doing it in Springfield, and now we want to turn that off. The question would be why, Well, because temporary okay, but why are we ending this now? The situation in Haiti is still as bad as it ever was. And this is not from me, This is from the Department of State. Now DHS is saying, well, conditions are proved enough, safe return. But you talk to us, it's like, well, they're still an emergency under State of Emergencies. Still don't have a president in the last ten years. The capital is completely run by gangs. Doesn't tull like an area you should go to, But they're telling Americans not to go there. Why are we evoking temporary protected status? You know, that's all driven by elections. It's driven by you know, getting out your core voters if you're Trump. But I wonder too, in this climate and with the midterm elections coming up, that's a smart thing to do in Ohio. If you know the election is going to be decided by razor thin margins, it's it's not a good look. You know, go ice doing what they do and finding bad people and rounding them up. That's what President Trump was elected to do. No, no question about it. Could you do it a little bit more gently and persuasively and surgically, absolutely, But that that is not in the nature of these guys. They tend to do things and make a big deal, you know, tends to be more well, maybe more shows sometimes in actual execution, we just throw stuff out there and see what sticks. But yeah, I get it, you know, not not all the people were protests. There's people they're protesting and do you know who you're fighting for? I guess it'd be the question that particular individual, what's their story? Well they seem like a nice guy, yeah, but wanted unfallily charges, you want them living in your neighborhood. But we're gonna fight for him anyway because it's us v them And that is the blindness instead of just looking at it going the problem is really government. We give them too much control. This is what happens, and when they do things like this and we don't call them out in their bs even if we did vote for them, then what's going to happen when the tide turns and the opposition gets into power. So you want all this stuff change, and you're a Democrat and a Republican gets in and we're gonna go okay, well, that's just going to give them more ammunition. I bring up the thing that Matt Lemon was just talking about, and that is civil asset forfeiture. Okay, it's bipartisan. He's a Democrat, Republicans are as well. But what scares me about that is giving the government up power and going, hey, second time we catch you speeding, we're gonna seize your car and crush it. Wait what Okay, Well, we know that the roads are dangerous out there, more congestined than ever before, and we've got idiots out there like Cam Taylor Britt. That's a great advertisement for what it does they want to do. I get that, But what scares me is as budgets get thinner and thinner and thinner, aren't thinking to use those laws to maybe stretch a little bit and go, well, yeah, maybe I we think you were speaking, we think you were drag racing. Well, what makes you think that? Why you're driving fast?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: And it's not codified in this bill? Hall, what is that I'm doing fifty and a forty five? Is it eighty and a forty five? Is it double this with there's no it's kind of just up to us. That I don't like because then it opens the system up for abuse. And if you encourage the stuff and turn a blind eye because it's the person who supported and voted for when the tides turn, it's they're not gonna go, well, we got to go back the way it was. No, they don't. They simply give government power. They don't give that away. The next party in power simply goes, we're gonna use it even We're gonna use it to the same level, if not more, And then people get tired of that and swing the next party and as it goes. But againually it's the continual erosion, like boiling of You know how you cook a frog. As you turn the heat up slowly, you don't throw it in boiling a wat it'll hop out, But if you turned it out slowly, the frog stays in and dies because the water's odd enough to kill it. And I think it's the same thing here as a matter of fact, anyway, So that's on pause right now. We'll see what happens later in the show. I want to get into the Savannah Guthrie thing. I guess it's Nanty Guthrie. And now, of course anything and everything is tied to Cincinnati. Every time we have a huge story, there's some connection, weird connection to Cincinnati. And we learned that Nancy Guthrie, the eighty fourth of the mother of Savannahuthrie, I from MDC News, as they noted, d in academy graduate so as roots here in the Tri State, which makes the story have a bitle of a local feel to it, if you will. But it is certainly bizarre. We'll get into that after eleven o'clock this morning on the Scotslan Show on seven hundred Wow. Here's the story that I did not get a chance to talk about the other day. And it's fascinating me because you tend to focus on the wrong thing. So we had a I got a space where I think a couple college students that you see broke in the fifth third and arena and tried to steal some alcohol. Makes sense, college students, and then you have a dude breaking into pay course stadium attempting to steal merchandise and food forty two to Antonio. Churchill arrested Sunday after he was caught on security camera breaking in the pay corps. He forcefully opened the door into the stadium and walked through the stadium until he was stopped by officers, responding, he's charged with breaking an entry. It's like, Wow, the guy's in the pay corps in February stealing stuff, and yeah, it's going to be in jail. He's he's locked up right now. As a matter of fact, I think the bigger question to me would be he was stealing merchandise. Okay, there's a merchant and food. The Bengals season ended in December and they're not going to open things back up in the stadium till August. Is the real crime this guy breaking in? Or is the real crime? Wait a minute, there's food sitting. If you're holding on to food for five six months, what are you gonna do with that? Are you gonna I need to know what kind of food this is now. I know that there's events that they host, different things there, maybe in some of the sweets, and you know there's players that show. I don't know how many are there this time of year, but you know they have food in the But from what I understand, this is like happened in the stadium area, not where the Bengal's offices training facilities are not conn be wrong about that. It's kind of a hard It's just a weird story. It's something wait, hold out, is the real this guy breaking here of the fact that these guys are holding on the on the hot dogs from last season?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Please tell me it's like not hot dogs. We need I think as a because maybe the person who reseat, like Alisia Reese or somebody like that, and find out this needs a deep die. I need to know what kind of food and where the food was and what it was for, because I don't know if I want those nachos, certainly not getting the sushi to put it that way. News on the way in about five minutes, the other things to keep me up at night. How about you coming up next to the show. I'm seven hundred WLW. You may have heard this story. Ohio Representative Adam Byrd from right here in Middletown is wanting a ban on this name, image and likeness thing for high school students. And this is quickly coming to a head in Columbus and it begs a whole bunch of quat question, is okay? Well, how prevalent by the way are these high school deals and do we need to ban it? How many people are being affected by this whole thing? And I also contend speaking of the Constitution, now it's your name, image and likeness. If you can make money off it, it's America. You should be able to do that, regardless of what the state of allegedly amateur athletics is. We'll getting to Adam Bird's head about that coming up, and just minutes here, quick time out. More to follow on the Home of the Red seven hundred WT. Since now here we go it Scott's flowing back on seven hundred W all that, but just how much you get through this, sour Julie Balki. A little bit later on our curs Shirpo will get into the Nancy Guthrie abduction and thoughts on that coming up first, though, Ohio high school athletes were allowed to accept nil deal since November. That's when the Ohio High School Athletic Association responded to a lawsuit from a jamiir Bron who is an OSU commit and they saw the writing on the wall one I don't think we can win this, and so we'll give in and we'll allow name, image, and likeness deals as we do in college. For high school students. We had a new bill out that would ban anil deals less than a year before they started. One of the people who are co sponsoring this is our buddy representative Adam bird the Birdman out of New Richmond and Claremont County.
Speaker 3: How are you, hey, Scott. It's great to be with you and looking forward to seeing what we can do to protect our students in Ohio from what is happening in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw what's unravelly college and some may say, well, you know, let's go back to the way it used to be. I don't think you could put the two space back in the tube, but it comes a little bit different in reality. How many kids in high school high schools is this going to impact? Really, it's not that many, is it, And therefore, if that's true, why don't we need to roll this back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no way to know how many this effects because, as you mentioned just a second ago, it's only been in effect for a couple of months, and so I do believe that this is going to unravel, and I don't think that we can allow the stand for the for the benefit and protection of our young people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what is it you're trying to protect them from exactly explain?
Speaker 3: Well, that's yes, and so you know, I believe that athletics and high school are an extension of the classroom. They're co curricular activity that is responsible for helping to teach students about character and discipline and work ethic and communication skills and all of those things, and fitness. And so that's the reason why we provide these opportunities for our young people. It's not about how much money that they can make, and that that kind of situation will destroy amateur athletics and the good things that we've got going on in high school.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'll push back on that, goough, both of those can exist at the same time, can't that. I mean, we can put an emphasis on the classroom and character and discipline, and probably even more so if money is involved. And it's not gonna be a lot of money for most of these kids. It's gonna be a little bit of money save maybe a couple athletes along the lines that are so good at what they do and are so coveted by colleges and professionals sports teams that they're going to get some money throwing them, no doubt about. But the bulk of kids just simply are looking for something to do extracurricularly. This wouldn't affect them at all. But for those few that would re benefit from the NIL deal, how does this go against what you mentioned in the learning And it doesn't to me, It doesn't change it at them.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, if you're going to have certain kids on the team that are benefiting and others that are not, you're going to degrade the team work like atmosphere that exists in amateur sports that have a team approach, like football, like basketball. And it's important that we protect what we've got right now. And then the other thing that I would say, Scott, is this will turn into a recruiting situation, a recruiting war where let's say a wealthy alumni of a certain school that has a business wants to sign a student to an NIL deal and on the on the presumption that you will transfer to the school of my choosing, and and so that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Virtually unavoidable at this point. And so when the school is not allowed to know about this, we don't they're not going to create collectives like they do at the college level, and so the coach is not going to supposedly know about it, the athletic director, the school administrator is not going to know about it, and so they're going to have a hands on approach. You're going to have a I believe, a recruiting war based on who has alumni that are wealthy enough to affect who attends what school.
Speaker 1: But isn't that going on now?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: I remember stories when I went to high school and presumably you as well. What they're schools right now. I won't name anybody in particular, but their schools now tend to be more private and Christian. But they do this now. Well, they'll take, you know, bring the family in, they recruit an athlete and they'll put them up for free, like like in housing. And so it's going on now.
Speaker 3: Well, I agree there is recruiting going on now, and yet it's not supposed to happen, and it's supposed to be investigated by OHSAA. I don't think that they can handle it. It's beyond their stripe and so this will just make it worse, It will exacerbate it, and there will be a recruiting war to create all star teams based on who has wealthy alumni that are willing to take their school down that path. And I just think we see how this has ruined college athletics, and it's going to have the same impact at high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if it ruined it. What we're in flux right now. I think that's the thing. And what's college and athletics look like in five or ten years will be the question. We don't know, because it's again, it's changing so quickly before eyes. It seems like it's broken right now, but it may not be ultimately. If you're a student or the parents of a student, shouldn't you be able to profit off someone's namage? And like the why? Why why is the money? Why is it a bad thing? I mean, I guess the team unity and things, but you know, let's face it, we have we have kids who are poor playing sports with kids who are rich and kids you know have you know, fifty thousand dollars cars and the other kids got to walk to practice. So we already have that disparity. That's nothing new.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not opposed to kids making money off of their ability. But if they want to do that, they ought to go to the Olympics, they have to join a professional tour. They ought to go go get enrolled in college early and get college in IL money. But we want to protect what has been a pure amateur situation in Ohio high school. And and you know that's you see what it's happening. Like, let's use the University of Cincinnati Bearcat quarterback who just transferred to I think it was Texas Tech. He didn't transfer for a better educational opportunity or a better major. He transferred because that other school was willing to offer him five million dollars And he's going to make more next year than the Cleveland Browns starting quarterback over his entire five year contracts. And this is this is to just continue to take us down the wrong path.
Speaker 1: Well should we be celebrating? I mean I look at that and go wow, good for that kid. That's like getting a full ride scholarship to Harvard I suppose. And the educational side of this thing, and we don't look at that going oh, grey, well, this kid's doing really well. Or you know they're there kids that win science fairs and the company goes and buys their ideas. We celebrate that. I don't distinct make that much potential in that and what's going on in sports.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, I guess we may have to disagree on that, Scott, because I believe that we need to protect our students from agents. We need to protect our students from tax advisors. We need to protect our students just like we do in child labor laws. We protect them. And this is the people are going to come after them. They're not ready psychologically or mentally to handle this kind of pressure. We've seen how over the last a couple of decades it's the number of suicide among college athletes is doubled. And so we need to protect them from this kind of pressure, protect them from becoming some kind of influencer, and they should be there to learn and grow and not to earn an income.
Speaker 1: Represent of Adam Bird out of Clement County of the show proposing to stop nil for high school athletes here in the Buckey States, CO sponsored that piece of legislation. You know, I look at this and okay, name age in life. I don't know how much your typical high school athlete's going to get, if anything, it could be like fifty bucks or something like that, because most schools in Ohio are rural and maybe I don't know, there's a local oil change place goes okay, fine, we'll give you. I don't give you like one hundred bucks a month. It's that that big a concern because I would dig typically. You know, you mentioned the outliers, the kids making millions of dollars, which are it's extremely rare. But if a kid does get one of these things, it's only going to be for a little bit of money. Anyway. Is this a you know, killing an aunt with a sledgehammer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think. I mean, you made some assumptions there, and I'm I'm going to push back on you a little bit. I don't think that you can just assume that it's going to be fifty dollars. I don't think that you can assume that's going to happen in rural areas. I think the rich will get richer so to speak, when it comes to talent at certain schools. And you know, it should not become a bidding war, a recruiting war based on money. It should be about, you know, where it's the best educational choice. Option for my child so they can grow and be ready to contribute to society. And so we're trying to protect the children. We're trying to protect the school opportunity, and we don't want this to become a recruiting war based on money, the way it's happened in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think too, it's already become that. And if you're to go back, I think the problem is mom and dad have leaned into this themselves in a sense. Is that okay, in banning the n will be one thing, but to really address the root costs of the problem. And you said, you know this is about amateur sports. I don't know how amateur it is. When you have you know, trainers and coaches and agents and you're not you can't ban that. The competition from you know, youth on to get in a travel league, to get in this to are pushed to have a calling to play a particular sport or sports. And of course, the more mom and dad invest in their athletic career, the more that they see as at stake. And a lot of parents think wrongly so that their kid's going to get a college scholarship and go play professional sports when odds are you know, very very much against Rocky Boyman could talk about how hard that is here on seven hundred WW this afternoon, But I look at it and go, well, you know, if this is about the semantics of education putting that first, didn't mom and dad throw that out the window a long time ago?
Speaker 3: Well, there's no doubt that mom and dad are spending a lot of money on their children's travel team. And you know, if you're going to add in there and a presumption now that mom and dad are investing all of this money in your travel team and your travel opportunity right that now you're going to help reimburse mom and dad based on what you might be able to earn. I think that's tremendous pressure on a young person that we don't want.
Speaker 1: And again, but it's happening. I know it's happening right now.
Speaker 3: Well, no, and IL is not happening right now. Kids are not getting paid right now. And OSSCA would like to take us down this path. And may I remind you Scott that they are only doing this because one judge in Hamilton County issued or ruling and so they made a change. And I don't think that we should take the entire state of Ohio down this path because one judge and Franklin County made this decision, and I believe that this is an important enough issue that the state legislator should weigh in on this. And if my colleagues decides that I'm wrong, then at least we considered it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I mentioned it's happening now in the sense that you know, their schools even before this NIL deal was struck, that we're essentially paying the parents to come move here and stay of getting their district and go to school academies and things like that. I mean, it is happening now. It's also happening that you know, there's tremendous pressure for kids, not just in the athletics, but especially academics, as you mentioned, where kids a suicide rate and the mental health issues among college students out of all time high, simply because of that pressure that's put on them by people in there inner circle name their own families. I don't know if NAL's it probably will contribute to that somewhat, but that's already the reality for a lot of college students. Whether there's student athletes or not.
Speaker 3: Well, there's there's scientific data out there that show that college athletes are committing suicide at double the rate that they work twenty five years. Again, that is a scientific fact. And we are putting tremendous pressure on these people at age nineteen, twenty twenty one. And I don't think that we should do that to fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen year olds. And we're trying to protect our children from people who want to come down and take advantage of them based on their athletic skills. And we need to protect our kids from these kinds of people that want to come in and take advantage of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and okay, it's double where it was, but the suicide rates for college students who aren't student athletes are paced up there. It went up like something like sixty percent over the last twenty years. That's increasing at the same ratio. And so it's not student athletes. It's all college students, and that is because of the tremendous pressure we put on college students, not let alone those who are student athletes. It's all college models. The problem is that we think the way to you know, having a perfect life is to go to college. We know that's that true. We're starting to rethink those whole things. It's about, you know, the person themselves, as opposed to the degree that you're having on the wall. We've overvalued college education and we're starting to see that come back down, and I think the athletic part certainly fits into that. I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know this bill is about returning the the OHSAA amateur status law to what it used to be. I don't want to micromanage OHSAA. I don't want to oversee their every move, but I do think that we need to say no, we're going to move backwards. And I might remind you to Scott that we have done this twice in the past when it comes to transcender eligibility and the state legislature said no, we're going to protect our girls. We also said no to OAHSAA a couple of years ago on the issue cash when you attend the game, and we require them to accept cash when you.
Speaker 2: Want to enter.
Speaker 1: Isn't this going to create a black market again? I mean it existed before. There's schools out there that were doing this long before. Nil Adam Bird that we're recruiting kids from different districts or held different states of that matter, finding jobs for mom and or dad, putting up at places, and essentially they're getting de facto payment, maybe not cash, and maybe some walking around money from the booster's life for very powerful schools, not necessarily public schools, private schools. How would that apply to the how to fix it? Wouldn't this just create a black market? They just go back to the way they've voiced done it, and then you still have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that there's there's been that kind of situation. Maybe there has and I'm not been aware of it. Lady mom or dad. Yeah, so you know, I don't think that we should I don't think that we should add to that. Again, this is about protecting our kids from a situation that they're not prepared for. You we're talking about teenagers here. They're talking about teenagers that's going to need a tax advisor, They're going to need an agent, they're going to be entering into contracts, and you've got to be careful about protecting our young people from the people that want to take advantage of them.
Speaker 1: Now, well, I think they also get some if they're getting big money, they're getting some of those too. It's not like they're complete victims. Well, I mean the composition's pretty good.
Speaker 3: I want to do that if you want. If you're so uber talented that you're capable of taking advantage of the athletic giftedness, then you need to go to the Olympics. You need to go to a tour, a professional tour. You need to go to college early and go Aaron College.
Speaker 2: And I owe money.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the protection thing, so doesn't that I mentioned the model that existed for a long time where at private schools that they do this. I don't know how how often it does, but it still has happening right now as a matter of fact, where you have, you know, kids recruited from other areas to move back to the district in order to play for their team, and then of course the family winklink is taken care of. How would this protect them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean you point out that recruiting is happening today and yet OHSAA deems that are legal, and so recruiting happens anyway. And I don't think that they're going to be able to police the situation that they're putting in place here, and they're not going to be able to investigate all of that. You're going to put You're going to put now a burden upon the school administrator, the athletic director of the coach to help police this, to make it to inform OHSAA on these kinds of things. And I just we're opening a can of worms that I don't think is the reason why the public tax payer pays or weight rooms, stadiums, gymnasiums so that they can have an extension of the classroom. And now we're going to allow people to take advantage of these young children that well they're not young children, but they you know, they're not of age, and take advantage of them based on facilities that have been sent by the text player.
Speaker 1: Adam final point is is this a nanny state issue? Does this feels like nanny state to me?
Speaker 3: Well, I think we have a duty. Okay, we have a duty and responsibility as a government to protect our children. And we've got people that want to use the situation to take advantage.
Speaker 1: But my point is if the parents are okay and they lean into this, going wow, I've got the next year borrow here, we can get some money, Well, how is it? Why is it the state's obligation to protect that child from their own family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do this all the time. And you know, we can talk about multiple examples of how we try to protect children and and so you know, it's again, they're not emotionally stable, they're not ready for the kinds of pressure that we're going to place upon them. And we want to protect the reason that we created these athletics in a first place, which is an extension of the classroom. It's not it should not be, I believe, and I hope to convince my college league that it should not be about allowing these young people to be preyed upon. We went and protect them and preserve what we've had in the past.
Speaker 1: Are you hearing a lot from constituents supporting it or is it just simply too early?
Speaker 3: You know, mostly I think people constituents are listening and learning. But who I'm hearing mostly from our school administrators and coaches who are very much opposed to this. And remember that there were a couple of hundred schools who have stained from this vote. They did not want to go down this vote. Others have told me that they didn't want to vote yes, but they voted yes because they felt strong armed by OHSAA. So most of the people that I'm hearing from are those that are actually in the school community.
Speaker 1: Now they're worried about this Jimy Brown laws that's going Hey, you know, win in violation of that. It's going to cost us a lot more money. We just acquiesced, even though we think it's wrong. But no, I'm interested to see Adam how this thing plays out. I appreciate coming on this morn and answered tough questions, and we'll continue the discussion probably at the other date. Add Richmond, I'm sorry, Adam bird out in New Richmond, claimout Conney, thanks again, but I appreciate coming on absolutely. Scott, thanks, thank be well be well. I've got to get a news update in. I'm sure this story has legs. Yeah, I'm not convinced this is this is the remedy. But anyway, quick time out. We got a news update, very latest with weather moving in yet again. Winter will not give up. Seven hundred WLW helping you navigate.
Speaker 6: The rocky path the fulfilling employment.
Speaker 1: Here's our career. Sir Julie Bouki and my friend Julie is back this morning on seven hundred w wel W braving the weather and warmer climates. How are you good, lying?
Speaker 4: I am fantastic good.
Speaker 1: We've often talked in the past about well, for example, the CEO and the CFO that we're you know, at the at the at the concert and then they were banging and they got probably got fire. They had resigned. It was a big ugly thing. And also we've had people posting stuff on social media that's gotten them fired. We know the boundaries there. There's a local case here. I think it's a little bit different though. This guy's a mail carry out of Fairfield. Jason Thompson has been a mail care for more than two decades. They put him on leave after the last big snowstorm because he posted his frustrations on Facebook about working in conditions that were not optimal, and they said, hey, they showed up. They're no trucks, there's nothing to deliver. But they wanted us to dig out our trucks by hand without any equipment to do so. I'm sixty years old. I'm not in the best shape, you know, I'm sixty. Everything hurts at this age. I get you. They plowed a lot, but pushed all the snow up against the trucks they were supposed to dig this alid by hand. And he complained about this on Facebook during this level two snow emergency that we had, and the end result is the postal Service pulled him off the job for a little bit of time, I think a few hours anyway, before the union got involved. But you know, this feels like a whistleblower thing to me as opposed to an actual, you know, doing something stupid on social media. How does this work in the real world in the workplace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we've talked to I think we've referenced this, but there is there are so many cases winding their way through the system right now of people who were fired for posts on their private social media and the courts were you know, it is. It is a mess right now in terms of what really does violate your company's code of conduct or ethics or contract or whatever it is when you post it. And you know, I can give you points on both sides as why it's from or why it's right, but in this case, it's interesting he simply posted this is unsafe, this is dangerous, this is unsafe, and you know, like you said, they they put them on leave for a few hours. Then the union got involved, or the post office realized, oops, you know, we're not going to win in the court of public opinion here, or we don't have a leg to stand on, and so we need we need to put the genie back in the bottle if we can. And you know, if I was thinking about this, can you know this whole rain or sleet or even snow that we.
Speaker 1: That's not true anymore?
Speaker 4: What are so used to looking outside and the mailman's trudging through two or three feet of snow, And but I start thinking about the mail I get in my mailbox every day because so much is available online. I'm not gonna I'm not going to miss the flyer for a window replace if it doesn't deliver for a day or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, a couple of generations ago. You go to the mailbox, Oh, I got bills, I got a I got two dollars from Aunt Dorothy for my birthday. I got that doesn't happy give out to the mailbox. It's depressing because ninety nine percent of its trash and the other they are bills. Like, I don't want to go to my mailbox anyways. It's a box of depression.
Speaker 4: Julie, but you know, like you said, us be the highlight of the day. I remember we used to get when I was grown up. We got the newspaper in the morning and the newspaper in the evening, and like so much had changed during the day, but it was like we would go oud look for it because it was our only source, the only way we got bills. We got that card from Aunt Martha, and we understood what was happening. And so the world has changed so much, and I understand that that, especially if you're older, you still may as I am, but I don't. I get most everything online, and I get that service from the post office, which is wonderful that tells you what's coming in your mail and so you can see it online what's coming before it shows up. So the world has changed in terms of how we get information, and so I think it's time as we look at this what makes sense. It's not what makes sense in terms of employee safety. What makes sense in terms of you know, what the people expect, And there's very little we can't live a day without, especially when we get so much paperless anymore. So I think it's you know, in this space, I'm like, come on, the guy expressed his opinion, his opinion, and I think clearly they looked at it and said, Okay, you know we're not going to win here, because if you're being asked to dig your time out by hand give to take people their advertisements, there's something I think they need to purse my personal opinions. They need to step back and take a look at what are the expectations. I know there's been talk about limiting the mail to three days a week. You know, all those sort of things have been talked about, and we will get there someday. But I think when you look at your people and clearly they have a union for this, that's reasonable. You know, if the whole town is shut down, if Kroger is shut down, I think we've got to look at reasonableness instead of standing on this rain, sleep, snow, hurricane. You know you will get your advertising.
Speaker 1: I don't think, honestly, I don't think that's the way. I mean, moneys don't. We didn't get mail at our house, A mailman didn't, and a jeep I don't think that. I think that hole in the rain are still seats now. I think it's like if we get you most days of the week. We're good. I think I think the model's changed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and not.
Speaker 1: Only that's I'll point out to Julie in this case, he said, there are no trucks coming to drop stuff up. We had nothing to deliver. They're just making us clean our trucks out, to clean our trucks out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'm sure it was. Well, we're paying you, we're going to have you do something right. Well, Susan, what case is leadership or whatever you want to call it, We'll just call it loosely leadership of organizations. And the more you know, it's a government organization, right, and so there's not generally a lot of agility or a lot of thinking around is what we're doing still makes sense. And believe it is not just government organizations. It is many, many, many that are really stuck in this is the way we've always done it. And that is that's really dangerous because you can't. You've got to keep up. Whether you agree or not with what's going on in the world, you have to keep up if you expect to attract and retake retain good people. And this generation, these people you're trying to attract to take on these mail routes.
Speaker 3: They're not going to do that.
Speaker 4: And again, rin your hands, clutch your hurls. But you can't argue against what is. And so what can you do to change your environment, change the culture, change the expectations. And if you are in a situation where it is a real disaster for you if you miss your mail for one day. You have someone who's who's pretty adept at technology, have them help you learn how to do things online, do things paperless. Right, It's I mean, it's yeah, there's a little bit of a learning curve if you're not used to that, but it's going to reduce the anxiety. And people are even send your birthday cards by my text now.
Speaker 1: So right, you just get a text happy Birthday with some emojis. Good enough, She Julie Balki Our career Sure up every Wednesday morning on the Scots Slone show. Today it's about this Fairfield postal worker that got suspended for a little bit because he posted pictures of them having to digular on trucks of a lot and so that we don't do that. It's like and I'm older and it's like they didn't give us any shovels and the snow is really high and we're not delivering stuff anyway. With that was the plant of this because he saw it as a safety issue. Is that the distinction here? I mean, you post, you bleep, post stuff about your employer, You're probably going to get talked to. You make it yelled at, you make get suspended, you might get fired. But if it's a safety issue, is that different.
Speaker 4: I think it's harder to it's harder to make it stand up if you are asking someone to do something that you know that literally they're saying to everyone, stay at home, stay off the roads, just just for your safety, you know, don't don't get out there. You have to look at what is what the community at large is being asked to do, what the school's doing where I mean companies were. I mean you have to look at what's reasonable inside of that instead of taking a stand and saying no, you know, get out there and clean off your vehicle. It's I mean, be treat your people like the humans they are. If you have bad performance or bad behavior, that's one thing. But if somebody, if somebody raises what could reasonably be called a safety issue, I think you have to instead of just responding and saying you're suspended, you have to step back and say, you know, so and so raised a good issue. We you know, will take a step back and look at this, and you know this this I'm I'm a leader, I'm your boss, I know the best, do what I do, what I tell you to do. That style is not working anymore. And again, if you don't like it, sorry, but it's it's just the way it is, and there's got to be some room for flexibility and reasonableness.
Speaker 1: Now we only know part of the story here too. It could very well if that person went to management and said this is well, why are we doing it? And that's to shut up and do it anyway, then that's valid. But if they, instead of complaining, decided to put pictures up on social media, they may have a legitimate compliant. Does that change things?
Speaker 4: I mean maybe, because people.
Speaker 1: Often will jump to social media's for you know all escalator rightther and going hey, what about the you know, the passive aggressive thing. So many people now are passive aggressed of like, well, why wouldn't you just tell me that this is a problem instead of going and making a big deal out if you had asked me, I would go, hey, maybe you're right about what what happened, just you know, communicating communication. We don't know if that happen here though, we.
Speaker 4: Don't know, we don't And I think it's you've got to look at this and say this Probably going to the leadership at the local level and saying this makes no sense is probably not going to get to anywhere. Let's be honest. I mean, maybe the union as a whole could take this to the table, into the conversation. But we are seeing and this is not always good, but we are seeing that public pressure has a really strong impact on companies, on humans, that we're seeing it in every sector of society. And again, you know, it's sometimes it's so cringey and other times like yeah, I mean once, once your bad behavior was put into the into the spotlight, you had to change your behavior because you weren't going to do it any other way. So we're seeing that play out in real time in every sector of life. So I'm actually not surprised if they said see you later and then they you know, and then they said, oops, never mind, come back to work. So this is something that someone has to be the one to surface the problem, and then the power the people that have the power have to decide or get to decide. I guess what to do about it. And they might say go back to work, but don't ever do that again or you'll get fired. They might say that, you know, and but it's social media gives us incredible power, and it's sometimes used for good and it's sometimes not so much. And that's all that's I would say, I'm so glad it wasn't the thing when I was Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's always changing. That's that's the nature of it. Children. Yeah, in that regard, I look as go, okay, well, so what's the take away from someone working right now? I was like, well, this thing at work? Should I put something up online? I mean, what, what's what should be the checklist in your mind for stuff like this?
Speaker 4: If I post this is what I think all the time about what I post.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's the worst.
Speaker 4: Thing that could happen now when we are in our emotions, when we are feeling like this is wrong and I got to tell the world about it. If we don't take that extra step to sit back and say, okay, I want to post this. If you're really strongly about it. What's the worst thing that could happen? In this case, he might have said, I could lose my job. Is it worth losing my job for? And he might have said heck yes, Or he might've not even had that extra thought. He might have just an other world needs to know about this. So thinking about the downside before you post, and then decide, am I okay? Like if you post something and what if this goes What if this goes viral? What if all of a sudden, you know, tens of thousands of people are posting this and coming in and give my giving my business a one star review?
Speaker 6: I live with that.
Speaker 4: So you really have to imagine am I always going to be proud of what I posted? Am I going to be willing to defend it? And so that we see examples of this everywhere where you think what were you thinking? That goes through my head so many times a day when I see things people post like what what? What is the thinking here? And a lot of times there isn't any thinking, And the other time maybe there is. And I don't care what people you know, I don't care what kind of backlash I get to. You get to decide that. But then you have to live with the consequences of what you do.
Speaker 1: Is it tend to be more generational because I think, you know, younger people, there is the time my daughter's posted stuff and going take that stupid what are you doing? You're going to You're not thinking of the implications of this, you know, and you'll go, yeah, yeah, you know, you're right, Well I feel this way. Well, just because you feel that way doesn't mean you know, you're employer could look at this and go, yeah, we got some problems right there. Yeah, you can exercise your First Amendment rights, but it is not an absolute right that you have. There are limits in your eployer. If it's your employer, you got problems there. On the other hand, you know, we often talk about especially the older workers, and I think you know, when we start talking about term limits for presidents, be it you know, seventy or seventy five, whoever it might be, I think that's a good idea because the older you get, the more out of touch you get with the with the current state of values, and it's always changing. It's never don't give me this, it's the way it used to be. It's never going to happen America is always changing for that reason, so as we get older, we get less in touch with what the current zeitgeis to the current fields are, or the the way the direction the country's headed or or communities headed. That's just natural. It's always happened, happened when we were well, we didn't have this when we were younger. Yeah we did. It was just it's not as extreme or different than this because our parents and grandparents bitched about how stuff was when they were kids, and then we just looked at them and all, please stop. And it's that's the way we evolve in America. And so I think the same thing is here too, is that. Yeah, maybe younger people not thinking about it, But then there's older people that are putting stuff up there. They are saying things that wind up getting in trouble for because they think this is the way it used to be and it's not anymore. So I think the two ends of the spectrum are the reality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, it's when you get older you don't sometimes really understand how it works. How There was this case, this thing recently that happened a furniture store in Clarkfield, Tennessee.
Speaker 6: The guy's wife.
Speaker 4: Posted something really horrible and like everybody who shows up to a protest deserves to be shot. I mean it was like it was that that like direct and guess what the backlash against his furniture store, their furniture store, even though it was the wife and I don't know how involved he all, but the backlash was and he came out there and tried to quell it. But I'm sure I'm sure she's mortified that she's Look, she still may think that way, but I'm sure she's mortified that she posted it and put it out there in public, because I don't think and these people are probably in their fifties, I would guess, so just we don't think about we get so in our own bubble that we don't think about how the person who thinks one hundred and eighty degrees differently than we do, all they might respond to this, and what the backlash might be.
Speaker 1: And extremes are I Matt, with extremes, that's the that's the probable. And you know what's really weird about that story. It was in where the Carolinas, I think, and you know, I'm sure the woman's mortified. She canna be more mortified when she's got to live out of her car because they're gonna close that store. Is there's a furniture store I think in Northern Kentucky or Kentucky that had the same name, and people were dosing that store and guys like, that's that's not We're not the same company, and I'm not the same guy. And so you know, people just lob handgrid at each other now without even getting it right. It's incredible. She's Julie Bouki. Our career shirp. But for more or if maybe you're looking for some consulting or looking for some answers to your career, your your trajectory, she'd be the one to reach out to at the Baukigroup dot com. That's b a UK. The Baukigroup dot com jumps on the show every Wednesday morning. It's Julie on the job on the Scotsland Show. All the best friend, be warm, stay well, talk to you next week.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: With news on the way in five minutes, full forecast coming up in just seconds. Here I also get into and just talking this out with you is the latest on the Nancy Guthrie abduction. Because this is something you just don't see anymore. You used to see it more often, and you don't see it anymore. And that is allegedly the ransom. What so the dynamics behind this to me are fast. And I was talking to a law enforcement professional who she'll rename be named nameless. I guess I should say, I talk for a living, don't worry about it, and it's some interesting stuff they pointed out you may not think of when it comes to trying to find out the person responsible. Of course, bring this lady back alive. That's on the way after news on seven hundred WW since now five thousand dollars that's the average amount of money people in the Scott's loan. This is seven hundred w wel w on this midweek morning, about halfway there. Baby almost made it, almost made it to the tipping point. So much going on in our world, but also this, this is one of those things that you look at and it's just a horrible sit situation obviously, but I think we're all fascinated to some degree by it. And of course talk about the disappearance of Notre Dame Academy alumni Nancy Guthrie, the mother eighty four year old mother of NBC's Savannah Guthrie. And people I know that work for NBC who have an after an interactor, they said, she is the real deal, Like Savannah Guthrie is one of the nicest persons, the nicest people in broadcasting. And of course even if you're not, do you deserve your eighty four year old mother to suddenly become missing. I mean, here's Savannah Guthrie is supposedly going to go to Italy for the Olympics, and now she's not going to be able to do that because her priorities as such as her mom is missing and she's got to be there for her. So she's in Arizona. The very latest on this, we do know that her Nancy Guthrie's DNA or blood was found at the scene, namely in the front near the front door. Police do heavy what they think is a ransom note, but they're not sure it's real. I don't know what that means in evidence, of course, indicating she was removed against her will, and it's not dementia related. Why said she just simply physically has not been able to walk like fifty yards. But she's sharp as attack mentally, which we all hope to be at her age. And of course the narrative about kidnapping comes first and foremost, because that's what it feels and smells like. But it is getting increasingly more common, and I shouldn't say common, that's an exaggeration. But there was a time in America where ransom kidnappings happened all the time. If you go back to like the nineteen twenties and thirties, it was big back then. And in nineteen thirty two, Charles Lindbergh's baby was kidnapped. I'm sure you know that story. He is twenty months old and was taken later found dead, and Bruno Hopman, of course, was the individual controversially executed for his abduction and murder, and there's some controversy surrounding that they got the wrong guy. But nonetheless, what happened in thirty two. Up till thirty two, it happened all the time. People in Cincinnati were getting kidnapped, and not for as much money as you would think, just because they would do it. And so what happened in thirty two, because it gripped the nation, the Feds got involved and they made kidnapping a federal crime, meaning it was in the pervian jurisdiction of the emerging FBI and now you have federal resources behind you. And the penalties were increased during that with that law to include the death penalty for kidnappings resulting in death, and it created somewhat of an effective deterrent through aggressive prosecution, and that ended pretty quickly after nineteen thirty two. Today we're starting to see a little bit of resurgence, and that is because technology and you know kid well, you think about what's preventing them too, is you know technology, they had the kids, digital tracking, amber alerts, we have a massive surveillance infrastructure. Hell, we're talking about putting more cameras up and all these going to be on the show to our console person who wants more cameras up maybe in relation to or indifference of the curfew center that's costs like three hundred and eighty thousand dollars. She's going to come on the show tomorrow to talk about that. But again, we have more license plate readers and sell town to sell tower triangulation. You have GPS, you've got ring door bells, everybody's cameras are always on. It's harder for criminals to do what they do, plus the digital trails and forensics and things like that, and it's become unprofitable because there's a really high likelhood because of that, you're going to get caught and you're facing a life sentence or death penalty and the fencer behind this, and so we're starting to see it maybe a little bit of a resurgence in this. So recently there's an alarming new trend, at least for the first half of the last starting last year, we're starting to see a spike and domestic kidnapping for ransom cases. They think the economy is largely behind this, but the technology that eventually catches up the law enforcement uses catches up for the bad guys as well. And so the digital landscape makes it easier for criminals demand payment through untraceable means. We're talking cryptocurrency and anonymous banking apps, and so now they look at it go, well, it's hard. You know, they can't trace the you know, the serial numbers of the bills anymore like they used to. It's all crypto. And so now that gives them going, well, if we can hold somebody for random some using crypto, that could be a game changer for us, and there are individuals trying that. I don't know if that's the case with Nancy Guthrie, but the speculation that that is the case. Who knows at this point, and so you could see the pendulum start to swing the other way. I don't think it will, simply because there's just so much attention and the FBAT told but we just simply don't negotiate. We don't give brands some money like we used to. And that is the Canada with Patty Hurst, for example, and that you know, it doesn't work out well usually, as the case may be. I think what's interesting. I talked to someone in law enforcement about this, not on one with any direct knowledge of the case, and we chewed the fat for good twenty minutes about this, and I thought it was really really interesting about what this individual thinks is going on that by now, at least in the first forty eight hours, you know, you could be hundreds and hundreds of miles away for sure. So this is why you've got the border patrol involved, because this is an Arizona and the border's a pretty close and so border patrol good. They have active air surveillance, but they're also going to do some financial deep digging here. So Savannah Guthrie makes like eight million dollars a year, she's worth tens of millions of dollars, And so instantly you think of an abduction for ransom. In most cases, in the fewer, maybe the growing number of ransom cases we have, generally it involved, believe or not, children that are being held for ransom. Now in this case, as an elderly woman who needs your medication, and so the thought is, well, this person may be an individual who is close to her in the sense of knowing because they knew the house, they knew what time she was going to be home, she knew all these things about her. They did break in obviously, and then the as you mention the ransom note, if it is indeed a ransom note, I don the police kind of describe that awkwardly. I'm not quite sure what it means. I think they're not convinced it is indeed a ransom, And maybe a decoy is that if that individual has knowledge, because you know, you're up against the clock with her medicine. She only has a limit amount of time she needs medicine to keep her alive. The speculation is or they say, well, look at is does this person, because they have intimate knowledge of Nancy Guthrie, do they have the medicine she would need to survive. They left the medicine behind thinking she doesn't have access to it, and that puts more of a time constraint on meeting the person who is holding yours demands, if that's indeed the case here. And I thought that's interesting is if they knew then they got her the medicine she needs, knowing what she's on, they would leave the bottle behind and that would make her think she doesn't have it when she actually does. Which is a lot to think about if you're like me or you. But now this is an investigators do all the time. Obviously, they have to locate the vehicle, shoes, transport in her car, her cell phone, her wallet, all of that stuff was left back, keys, everything left behind. She has mobility issues. She's sharp as attack mentally, but mobility is a problem for her because she's eighty four years old. So finding the you know, iiding the car. We see that now with plate readers and everything else, and how they're rather quickly able to piece together the vehicle and get a tag and a hit on a tag. And it happens all the time that someone's out walking and they wind up, you know, spotting them getting vehicle and they want up now on them. The guy who's you know, the we just had a case of that as a matter of fact, and it was all done by you know, cameras on poles somewhere. And I think, you know, looking at this and talking to the individual I spoke to, I think it's interesting that, you know the timeline of this investigation. Someone almost had to know she was home alone, uh, and so who had access to her schedule? And you know, they're going to be looking at people in her church. They're going to be looking at relative speculation there maybe a relative involved in this, who who did service calls to her house or visitors deliveries, all that stuff, and establishing whether or not that ransom communication is is that if it's a ransom note indeed, or it's a decoy, or maybe it's not even a ransom note at this point, so they're you know, hospitals all on the alert as well, and they're looking at cell phone data and all that stuff. The person I spoke to speculated now knowing what we know publicly had granted, the information that law enforcement has in Arizona is a lot more detailed than we have, because, as you know, they only release certain things to the public, so there's a lot more information they're sitting on. They aid in their investigation, and knowing that, they said, well, there's higher likely, the most high likelihood at this point. Know, what we know is that it's a targeted a targeted abduction by a known individual. Because of that, you know there's forced entry, but limited forced entry. Knew her limitations and schedule and all those things as well, and so they would look at that first. And that's also now. Secondarily they're looking at less likely a financial motive for this thing because Savannah is high profile. She's had her mom on her show. I guess those around that area and Tucson know that she is Savannah Guthrie's mom because she's semi famous, and so you see that and go, oh, she makes this kind of money. I need money. If I'm going to hold someone ransom, it would be someone like this. Plus your elderly can't really fight back. That's why it tends to be children and elderly folks, and so you know, they also said, I think it's interesting too, that doesn't strike them as like a professional criminal who researched the target that much because of some of the mistakes that they made. No normally if it's I get you know, like like the the individuals who burgled Joe Burrow's house. I mean, hell, there was a cop out front, and they got in, they got out, knew exactly where they're going, what time of day, how to disabled everything, They did their research, they did their homework, still got caught. But according to them, this does not look like it is someone who like some sort of gang or organized activity, that they would be that good in getting this individual. And of course then there's a personal vendetta against Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 4: In that.
Speaker 1: You know, journalists who make enemies, You have political extremists, you have people maybe upset by her anger, her interviewing she did interview with Trump, for example, that she did interviewed Biden. Maybe someone took that the wrong way and saw this as a personal vendetta against Savannah Guthrie. Although you know, you look at the nature of this whole thing, and why would you take someone, you know, if you're gonna if you're gonna do harmon trying to ruin someone's life and make them hurt because you're so twisted you think that physical violence is the only way to save your reputation or get back at someone for reporting on something, which is absurd. But they're crazy people in the world, and if you look at it in that regard, and why why would you capture someone and take them as suppose to just killing them? And fortunately it's an abduction because there's still hope that this lady's alive. And then ultimately, finally it's like a crime of opportunity that you know, someone observed her scene and going in maybe made that connection. Could be local criminal activity, recent parolice and stuff like that. So the problem is there's so many, so many strategies and theories out there. And the sheriff said, this isn't a ransom, but there was a ransom note what to make of that, we don't know, but they get they would start with their social and church connections and someone that knows because she went to dinner and then I guess drop off and she was gone later that night. And again that's like a long period of time from the evening till the next morning or next afternoon I should say noon when she didn't show up to church when they figured, hey, something's going on here, and so she's been gone for a long time. Could be anywhere at this point. But it's such a fascinating story in my opinion, because hey, you often don't see this. You know, you see people being you know, children for example, being held against their world, people being abducted and held in a house somewhere as some sort of you know, weird sex slave or something like that. But abductions for ransom or in the appearance of ransom anywhere extremely rare in this country. Used to be fairly common, but not anymore, although they are making a resurgence for the reasons I mentioned. But it certainly is a gripping and interesting story and of a sad at the same time, because, like I said, the person who had interacted with Savannah Guthrie, she's a really, really nice lady. And even if they weren't, you know, you wouldn't wish to sign your worst enemy, because could you imagine getting a call that your mother has been abducted? Wait, what, your mother's missing and we think she's been abducted, you better get out to Arizona. That had to be and still is one of the worst things you could possibly hear, because at eighty four, she's pretty frail and needs her medicine. And we have no idea yet what the endgame is here, but the speculation is running rampant, which, of course, as we deal in here on the show and on this radio station, it's simple speculation, but these are based in fact, and you wonder what was going through the mind of the individual or individuals that abducted her, and what is this they seek to gain by holding captive an eighty four old woman. I mean, financial gain comes to mind instantly. The second would be some sort of retribution because of what Savanah Guthrie does for her job. But the family, I guess, is heartbroken. So TMC is reporting a possible ransom note demanded millions of dollars in crypto at a verified bitcoin address. So this just broke just now as I was talking about this, and I was speculating that well, cryptocurrency bitcoin, it's much easier to do this today before, But the FBI is very, very good at what they do, and they are there to help. According to Keshptel, the FBI director, to help in this case. Now, if you're holding someone ransom and wanting crypto, that certainly does invoke the FBI here, and they're pretty good despite what we believe in how you know what justice looks like. FBI still pretty good at getting this stuff. Hopefully I find an answer here holding her hostage for some cryptocurrency. I just wonder how organized the group holding here is in that particular case. Anyway, So we got that going on today coming up in a few minutes. Here Sarah Lisa is in and this is a snort report, I imagine because she is such a front runner we're going to talk about. We're going to talk about her all the modern Miami University and they remain undefeated. I think next up. I think they got Marshall next if I'm not mistaken, and not how many games they got left in the schedule. But it's awfully tough to go undefeated. So she's here talking about that. I'm sure some Joe Burrow Pro Bowl stuff in the mix as well. The Nicholas nickolasche was on My show yesterday at eleven oh seven at this time and dropped his song about wanting to the Bengals to sell the team, presumably to him, and he denied it. But I like, I don't know. You've got friends, you got investors, you know if you're in la you know sin you're famous like Nick Laay. You know people who got money. You got some money. But you pull all together by the team. Is it for sale? That's a question. So we'll talk to Sarah about that coming up in a few minutes. And of course the news that ah Suarez is back in a redg jersey is giving us some hope that one of our sports teams is going to be successful here and maybe that maybe fcfc's about registered the season too, But our hopes hang on our red legs and some degree FC coming up as they kick off the season. By the way, pitchers and catchers reporting just days away. Despite what the weather's like outside, the minute you hear Baseball Day Baseball on seven hundred WLW from Arizona, it feels like summer. Let's say it all on your mind, it all melts away, It all melts away. Early on the show, if you missed it, I had a couple of interesting guests. I had Ohhi representative Adam Bird on at ten o'clock, so you can catch out on the podcast, follow the show via the iHeartRadio app and downloaded for free. Or if you're listening to show right now and you're going somewhere, you can pop your earbuds in and take us with you. Regardless. Anyway, representative of Adam Bird out of Claremont County was on and proposing an NIL band for high school athletes in Ohio. Now, the Athletic Association just ruled and said, hey, listen, you know what, you can't fight city Hall. And you can't. It's awfully tough to go to war against the law because the law is ruling in favor of individuals or at least one kid who's an always you recruit that Hey listen, I want to make money off my namage of lightness, and I'll take you to court to get that. And so they acquiesced and said, okay, uncle, and now the legislator's look in this going, well, you know what, we think it could destroy high school athletics, the sanctity of high school athletics, and it was present. Adam presented a great case. I thought in that his line of thinking is this is about protecting the institution of education of higher learning about amateur athletics and the like. And I think that it sounds good, it feels good, it feels right, But you know, at the end of the day, I guess I have a problem overall with the state telling parents what to do with their kids. And I look at it going, well, if your kid is so exceptional that he or she is going to be offered not only a scholarship and hopefully, most likely if things play out the way they are, some sort of pro contract, why can't I capitalize that on now? And the idea here that the state knows more than the parents do. It's kind of a horn to me in that regard, like you can't prove a lot of harm being done by a kid taking money. Yeah, well they got to get an agent, and then they got tax guys, And well, how many people who are adults right now go, well, that's a good problem to half, that's rich people problems. I got to get a tax account and an agent. Damn, I hate my life, said no one effort. So I don't know if the state is staying why the state would be in the way of doing that to protect the children. And I always loath of people when they say it's about protecting the children. And I'd also contend that there are schools in our listing area right now that are doing the same thing under the radar and have been for a long time when it comes to bringing kids in from out of district or out of state, even because they're so exceptional at the sport that they play. And then of course taking you the boosters take care of the parents, and there's housing and maybe some stipends and things like that. And directly, I say, if you're going to do that, then you've got to go after that as well, because you are just creating the block market that we seek to fix in the first place. Scott's Loan Show with News and five here we got snow moving and yet again seven hundred w.
Speaker 2: Yes smarted.
Speaker 1: Lots of sports today report. Thank you Sarah Lisa. You are from the kid Chrisha one of two seven e d and social media slash sports this midweek morning. How are you happy day? You are way extra today? What is going on?
Speaker 6: I'm just really caffeinated and well rested.
Speaker 1: Holy cow, you are just coming. You're like eleven on a scale of nine.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of you old dudes around here are like on a scale of one to tend.
Speaker 1: Now that you're forty, you've joined.
Speaker 6: The not yet not yet twenty nine plus tax. Okay, take it easy.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of tax. You are in California.
Speaker 5: It's tax plus shipping and handling a few other things here and there, some tariff stuff going on.
Speaker 6: But excited about our Red Hawks Mi Alma Mater. Baby. They moved to twenty three and no after a big win last night.
Speaker 1: Win last night.
Speaker 6: It was a nail bier. They they they're going to.
Speaker 1: Have some nails and some luck to be perfect.
Speaker 6: And you know what, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: No one runs the table.
Speaker 5: If it means that you're going to be undefeated and a little bit of luck comes your way, than by all means how.
Speaker 1: Many games left?
Speaker 5: Ooh, a few, We've got a few. I don't have the schedule put up in front of me, but I knew. I know that they are back this Saturday. They're gonna be back on the road. Then they'll be back at home after that.
Speaker 6: I don't know. You have to pull up the sketch. Yes, it is seventy three to seventy one.
Speaker 5: Over Buffalo is the final. They are fired up, they are super fired up there and.
Speaker 1: They're losing their minds at Miami right now. Eight games.
Speaker 6: There are eight games, loft, that's a lot.
Speaker 5: They can do it, just keep winning and it's one game at a time. How do you eat an elephant.
Speaker 1: With a knife and fork?
Speaker 6: One bite at a time?
Speaker 1: Oh, one bite at a time? How do you eat at that elephant?
Speaker 6: Anyways, they're at Marshal on Saturday if.
Speaker 1: You can there. Yeah, Marshall on Saturday. Okay, got it?
Speaker 6: And they are fourteen and eight should be another nail better?
Speaker 1: Well, you're a way too yep. Huntington's a tough place to play football, especially.
Speaker 5: And I believe that the RedHawks are twenty eight No at Milette.
Speaker 6: How cool is that?
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool? Nice? All right?
Speaker 6: So I was there on Saturday and I felt very old.
Speaker 1: Here's yeah, no kidding, right.
Speaker 5: I hadn't been back to my college campus and quite some time. Went up to High Street and it was a bunch of kids running around like in onesies and drinking beer, and I was.
Speaker 6: Like, I really feel old?
Speaker 1: Do you feel how how many years after graduation you go back to your alma mater? And you feel like a creep.
Speaker 6: You go back for like alumni weekends.
Speaker 1: You feel like a creep.
Speaker 6: You don't just go just to go.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I did feel a little creepy, even though I was with people that are my age, and you know, it was alumni basketball weekend and there were plenty of other adults there. But watching all these kids running around, I'm like, oh my god, they.
Speaker 1: Look like, baby, you're the age you could have a kid.
Speaker 6: I could have a kid there. This is true. I could have a college kid, now, do.
Speaker 1: I if you know who the mother was?
Speaker 6: Absolutely not no kids for me ever, no things.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see no thank you.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I was giving back and you know, hitting up skips and bricks situation.
Speaker 1: When you go back, you can go back to my alma mater. You go back to your alma mater. And it's like you go back like the first year after like still snows some people, right, and that's fine, and that's fine. But by the second or third year you go back and you go, man, I'm old. I mean, it happens quickly.
Speaker 6: It really does. And they don't look like they're eighty.
Speaker 5: I mean they looked like they were like thirteen, Like, man, these kids are looking younger than ever.
Speaker 1: Well, we're getting older faster.
Speaker 6: And I think that's what's going on.
Speaker 1: When I go there now, they hold doors open for.
Speaker 6: Me and stuff like their do you need a wheelchair?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you here for the are you of the clinic?
Speaker 6: You're there for? Like nurse students?
Speaker 1: Did you go back like homecomings? Michelle and I met at BG. You went to Bowling Green.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we played guys in the twentieth button and.
Speaker 1: So you know, you go back there and you feel that way. But it's funny when you go back when you went back, like or you're on campus, let's say, yeah, and they like a homecoming and you see like the class from nineteen fifty coming in. Wow, those people are really old. Oh huh, Now I'm that age. I'm like, damn okay, And.
Speaker 6: Time really does fly.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 5: But it was really good to be back on campus and to be at the game. And I'd never seen a crowd that big at Malette before, No one has. They' set a record of ten thousand and six forty Pretty cool stuff. I love what's happening in Oxford right now.
Speaker 1: If if the RedHawks lose what bandwagon you can jump on this.
Speaker 5: This is not a bandwagon when it's literally my college.
Speaker 1: I never talked about him before they go undefeated. That's front running.
Speaker 6: They had never been waiting like this before.
Speaker 5: There's a reason why we're leading with the Reds, the Bangles, and I know what you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna do if if and I'm not saying they are, but if Miami.
Speaker 6: Loses, which I'm sure that they will offenually.
Speaker 1: We're going right to the Reds.
Speaker 5: I guarantee well, we are going to go right to the rest right now because good vibes, baby es. He's so back, and this is exactly what this team needed. He was the answer to all of our prayers. Now, granted, is he gonna how many runs is he gonna get?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: He got forty nine bombs last season. You come to great hot hitter, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because you get great hitters at GBP unless they're wearing the opposite uniform. Similarly, don't do well. I don't know why that is. And it's been that way since Junior came here.
Speaker 5: I just here's my thing with Gino, Like I love his good vibes, and you know, I hope that he can bring all the bomb stats to GBP, Like that's really cool. But I wouldn't expect this guy to go like four or four every time a book.
Speaker 1: But you got the guys line can hit too, and maybe that takes the pressure off of Ellie and other guys.
Speaker 5: I think, Yeah, he is a perfect fit for this team. And he said, you know, it's good to be back here. This is where my wife and I had our baby and got our family started. It feels like home. And Nick Krawl last night said, great clubhouse guy. Great guy with the vet.
Speaker 1: Element is very underrated too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a vet.
Speaker 5: Now you come in and he's coming in at thirty four years old, and I think he's probably one of the older guys on.
Speaker 1: The team, working with ke Brian Hayes a little bit at the base and you know, spread it around and be that guy, be the guy. And he doesn't have You're right, he doesn't have to rake. You know, whole season. It's like somebody's got to.
Speaker 6: Hit someone, and I do think it will be I am so.
Speaker 1: And in credit to the Castellini's for going. Hey, listen, you know what, the fans are not happy. We didn't sign Schwarbur anywhere else, and this is not the top let's face it. It's kind of like, you know, the best remaining hitter available. We waited until Yeah, and they spent more money they planned, but they see an opportunity here and you know what, you've got to give the Reds credit for that.
Speaker 6: Totally worth it.
Speaker 5: And yeah, definitely a lot of credit to the Ruds, like this was a great move by them.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I pitching, you got the bullpen squared away, you've got depth, you got the outfields, like be exciting, let's go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I do think that's wos. We'll get people in the seats that man.
Speaker 1: Winning will get people this winning.
Speaker 6: Does ever fact look in Oxford ten six four zero.
Speaker 1: I went, hey, listen to fans, but reach Nation wasn't happy about this. We're gonna spend more money than we budgeted for because we think there's an opportunity here. And it was smart or smart with their money, but they listened to fans. I think a lot of that is driven by the anks the fans had we had about going in and so they listened unlike our football team.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, because I mean, were you excited about any of our hitters this year, who were you most excited about? Ellie we strike out, Spencer.
Speaker 1: Steer to be better than he was, and a couple of the guys.
Speaker 6: And Matt McLean can only get.
Speaker 1: Black and McLean is another one, right, I would hope for should get to figure it out. Yeah, but maybe this also takes pressure. So that good news for the Reds. I like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I know that the you know, the team, they're all excited about having their guide back, familiar face, and you know, the Red social team obviously very excited to be posting. I mean, they made twenty five posts about him yesterday and of course Gina reunited with his bestie Jim Day.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you saw that, but.
Speaker 1: It was cute, very cute.
Speaker 6: Does Dave have the clip of that by chance? Their interaction? I would be impressed if Dave had that clip on hands.
Speaker 1: Not sure three two one he doesn't have in front of you ever. Mind what did what did gino saying.
Speaker 5: That he was like, oh Jim, good to see you again, and they just you know, hugged it out and just like old besties.
Speaker 1: See you again. Okay, there you go. There's a clip that's Yeah, that's what it sounded like.
Speaker 6: He was happy to see the snow.
Speaker 5: He's got his wife and his too, his two kiddos with him, so I'm all very very excited.
Speaker 1: He's really happy about this. Look at you, man, Wow, it's nice. What do you think of the snow on the field?
Speaker 2: Like, yes, happy time.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: As happy as I am.
Speaker 5: It's been a long time now. Jim Day has like a really good interviewer.
Speaker 1: Gino's reaction was like, Jim Day, you're still alive.
Speaker 6: You have a job here.
Speaker 1: How the hell are you still employed? You're terrible. I love Jim he is the best suck you used to work here. Oh my god, you said it, not me. No, I love Jim Dave. If I didn't know Jim Day, I wouldn't be breaking as chopped like that. That's funny. So anyway, that reaction and he in the clubhouse.
Speaker 6: I think I can't.
Speaker 1: You're right, I gotta laugh. I didn't even get a snort out of that. I need a snort.
Speaker 5: Come on, woman, I think, Gino, he will get seg out of this place and back to the club house, I really do.
Speaker 1: But he's back, so I go Tuesday. Thank you.
Speaker 6: She really brings them all up.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. I bet I hope Jim does like one of the you know, the the ones that they used to fill the rain delays with.
Speaker 6: Oh you know that's coming.
Speaker 1: I mean he's so good. I love that. I love that because it's you know, look forward to with rain delay. But you know there's gonna be content there.
Speaker 6: That's when you turn on l W and you those guys.
Speaker 1: Because he knows the backstories. No, no, I think he's still here. Do you think Jim Day is terrible? I've always enjoyed.
Speaker 5: Does all you bud so Wow Pitchers and Gadgets report next week to Goodyear and they've got their first game against the Guardians on the twenty first, and it was truck Day yesterday on their social page as well, So they got the truck all piled up with the gear and mister red Legs is driving the whole thing.
Speaker 6: If you see him on seven, when.
Speaker 1: Does the head come off? And the media op he's driving it? You're driving a big rig with a Oh my.
Speaker 6: God, do I have time for a quick head story?
Speaker 1: What thank you?
Speaker 6: When I was in Bristol.
Speaker 1: That's not what I think you're going okay, well maybe it's going somewhere right.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, when I was in Bristol, let's go. I've got a good head story. I was in Bristol last year and of course, you know, the rain was the name of the game, and I'm in this room, like the media room, and we're just you know, on lockdown, and somehow the mascots were locked in with us, you know, like they can't go out and get the head, you know, wet and the outfit and everything. So like they're still in there as mascots and when they're in public, even with just the media, they have.
Speaker 6: To be performing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So like mister Red Legs and Rosie and Gaper and everybody, Like they're just sitting there with all these like very you know, serious media people and they're just you know, waving and kind of playing batty cake and whatnot. I'm like, dude, you can take off the head like it's really okay, like we will not judge.
Speaker 6: But no, they stayed in character. It's party. Yes, it's exactly like Mickey and Disney.
Speaker 1: You cannot take it off because you're scared of kids.
Speaker 6: That is my head story.
Speaker 5: I don't know what their heads in real life look like but they are baseballs in my world.
Speaker 1: You should see standing next to Gapper, like in the restroom and he has to keep the head on.
Speaker 6: They look over to each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's you can't see your but he's bumping his head is like he's going he's flying blind against a journal because the face is pushing up against the wall. Just don't let the bats your equipment, all right, So at least it's the smart report this morning on seven hundred W. But she's just trashing for some reason.
Speaker 5: That is all you. But Joe Burrow real quick, if he's happy in Cincinnati, dun't dunt dun stop.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: We had Robin Burrow on not long ago to talk about the Marty Girl.
Speaker 6: And he's happy.
Speaker 5: He's playing with those guys t Higgins and Jamar Chase of course last night playing with them in the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 6: But yeah, Joe was asked if he's happy, and he goes, yeah, I am.
Speaker 5: I think you know everybody has bad days, right right, he said sometimes they fall on press conference days, which we've definitely seen some.
Speaker 6: Bad days for Joe Burrow dealing with the press.
Speaker 1: He wants to win and he goes.
Speaker 6: So that's how it goes sometimes. All right, it was fine.
Speaker 5: I don't think we need to look into this any further. I don't think anyone should be worried about Joe Burrow leaving Cincinnati time.
Speaker 1: He knows who he plays for and what their commitment is or isn't at this point, as we all do.
Speaker 6: And what about our guy Nicholas Chef him?
Speaker 1: Like the Pro Bowl? It talk about burying the Tuesday night Pro Bowls?
Speaker 5: Why are we burying the lead? Who cares about the Pro Bowl? When Miami is undefeated and we have Gino back, it's.
Speaker 6: Way more important.
Speaker 1: You brought up Joe Burrow and he played last night in the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I watched the intros. Then I saw Tee Higgins get a touchdown. Then I go to bed. The thing stopped. This thing started at like nine o'clock a night.
Speaker 1: I though, I need to share how little this after that it was, it looked like there was heldon's all, like somebody's practice bubble in San Francisco. There's ten thousand, not even there's like five thousand people.
Speaker 6: There, maybe five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really realining, but I get it. It's like they realized the Pro Bowl is not like it can't you can't do it in the NFL. I turned in the flag football is a good ad for their flag football thing.
Speaker 5: So this score was like fifty to forty. I mean it was wild truly. It's yeah, guys, not ticket it. Seriously, It's like, no.
Speaker 6: Should you You shouldn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't want to get hurt because you know, that's that's what we always worry about, especially seeing Joe Flacco and Joe Burrow out there, like keep the QBS.
Speaker 1: You have one more thing, the Nicolas thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I heard your guy Nicholas on yesterday.
Speaker 1: Not Happy. He's got that song out.
Speaker 6: Fuel to fire Field. That song is way too it's way too.
Speaker 1: I said, it's more like baby naked music than it is.
Speaker 6: A Yeah, he's got to like ramp it up, all right. If we want to make this like a one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it shouldn't be like a r and it sounds if it sounds, you know, the musical ability is great, but it's like, man, it needs to be more like scream.
Speaker 6: Oh but he's he's not. Yeah, he needs like a slip Knot influence on this song.
Speaker 5: Head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I don't hearing screamo though I.
Speaker 5: Don't think he has it really good to hear from Nikolache, even though we shouldn't care about what he has to say. I feel like he made really good, valid points and he goes, look, I know that the Bengals will probably never hear this, and I don't think they'll care if they do hear about it, and he's like, but they don't care about Cincinnati. That's pretty much everything that wraps up with what he had to say, But we do.
Speaker 1: Sarah especially cares about Cincinnati so much. She is leaning into the Miami RedHawks and Oxford Scott Sloan show. She's back on the Kid Christio tomorrow on one of two seven EBN where she attacks where she attacks Jim Day and probably other Reds broadcasters on that daily basis, Oh you Willie is on the way next seven hundred ww