Speaker 1: Well, the cold is here. We've had the snow, people still apparently not knowing how to drive in it. Stores of something like eight different people. And this is not funny over these last couple of days, as we've had some snow ended up plowing into some snow plows in and around Ohio. At least according to Odd extra time when the snow comes and we may see more sooner than later, the al Nina in what we're dealing with in some frigid cold. I guess it's time. The Christmas season is upon us. How you doing? It's Sterling stepping in normally. Dan Carol will be here about this time and I'm back in my normal time Friday Saturday afternoon as well. My name is Sterling. Mister Joe Waddell producing updated news. About twenty one minutes from now. Was Sean Gallagher up in on what's going on? Terry Nelson going to join us busy guy getting ready for Crosstown shootout. You just heard him Coach Wes Miller and Dan Horde and the coach a show talking about bearcats, musketeers, the history, the energy, the angst, the excitement, everything that goes into it. And they've been getting it on for a long long time, and we'll pick his brain coming up and after the nine thirty report, that's Terry Nelson gonna join me. Dave had Or, cybersecurity expert from seven hundred wlub, you gonna join us also after ten o'clock talk about AI privacy, new gear, gadgets, security and all the stuff that goes with that, and how all this new technology can help make our lives simpler. It's not just maybe about scaring us or getting into our business or everything else. And to speaking of the holidays, Godadal dot Com, Dev Shapiro have him unusually this time of year. Well, the bells are ringing, so we'll get to Dev after eleven o'clock talking about where the deals are the best deals now that we are in I guess cyber Week, which used to be a cyber Monday, which came after the Black Friday, And if you are of a certain age you can remember it used to be people would be eagerly getting the Sunday Inquirer and every other publication they can, looking for leaked ads and everything else to be able to figure out exactly where the best opportunity was to save money and get whatever it is that you want for you and yours over the holidays. Times have changed, But Dev Shapiro is all over like a two ton heavy thing. So we'll pick his brain about that soon enough. I want to give you a chance to sound off. I find that this new story that there's a lot of ways to look at this. My entire life has been an engagement of war in this country on drugs. The war on drugs. In fact, if you're a kid of the eighties coming up depending and subsequently, you remember those ads where they'd say, this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs, and then they crack an egg into a hot skillet and you see it sizzle up, and they go, oh, my god, that's gonna happen to what's inside my head if I get on dope. Don't smoke the dope, bluie. But you know, the things or not as they once were, and so on. So this war on drugs is continued. We're in a period of time we've dealt with the opioid crisis. There's ventanyl issues and all sorts of problems that people have to sort of navigate. People still digging out of what was the oxy codone problem and everything else after litigation and thousands and thousands and thousands of people dying. Now we are blowing boats out of the water in the Caribbean and elsewhere that are allegedly filled with cocaine or fentanyl or whatever else that apparently is destined for our shores and our communities, because, let's be honest, Americans like to get high, Americans like to get drunk. They like to get effed up in a whole lot of different ways. And maybe we ought to start working on that hunger that need to somehow, you know, the sab to fix that itch that scratch for numbing ourselves and maybe possibly also whatever psychological problem going on with it where we want to self medicate. That being set, I have a question over the last couple of days with higher ups at the Pentagon in private meetings showing videos to lawmakers, there is apparently a split. Some lawmakers are saying, hey, blowing those boats out of the water, taking another shot with more of our very expensive, high tech and very precise weapons to finish off the job of one of those boats. As this whole engagement started, and so he was, oh, it's a war crime. Well, I don't even though they've called it the War on drugs. There is no official like declaration of war that I know of, and I would imagine that anyone who's looking for a pleasure boat cruise, or if you're in anywhere in those areas looking to go fishing or scuba diving, you might want to think twice and look up in the and see exactly where US forces are. But my question is this, President Trump says he's fine with releasing the video for all of us to see to make up our own minds. Here's what I wonder, though, because you see what we have seen in the report has been that there was apparently two survivors on that boat, or at least off the boat, that were in the water trying to somehow hold on to the wreckage at sea, whether to get on and call for help or get on and say, hey, save the dope. We don't want the you know, drug lords to come after our families or whatever else. I don't know about the idea of war crime, and I don't think that the family members of those people who lost their lives are worried about war crimes, are trying to figure out what happened to their people. But what I want to know is this, do you want to see the video one more clearly without edits and without fuzzing over and blocking out the carnage that took place at the hand of our military looking to make us safe in the order so that they were following.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 1: Do you have a problem because I've heard so many discussions. I just had an odd discussion in the cold walking my dog with the neighbor. This was yesterday afternoon before he came in for the Christmas party, and he's telling me. He says, he thinks it's absolutely horrible and everything and it's inexcusable and everything is that, Well, we don't know what we don't know, And overall I'm just wondering. Look around, you know the history of this country. You see the issue of drug added people. Maybe there are drugs on these boats that have been blown up. I would think if you're in the business of transporting drugs, you might want to reevaluate. If you're listening on the iHeartRadio app someplace in that part of the world, if you hadn't already figured out that it's not a good idea, well now you probably know. Do you have a problem with us blowing these boats out of the water. Should they? I mean, I don't know who they're going to communicate with that they've identified party A, Party B. However, many on those boats with said drugs to somehow warm them. But if it's not our waters, if it's not our shores. We've talked about taking the fight to terrorists elsewhere. Is this a terrorist endeavor? Do we trust that these people are in fact, you know, drug dealers or traffickers for one of a better way to describe it. More trafficker, I guess than dealer. Dealer may be selling it, transporting it would be the trafficker in some fashion, right, And then whoever hear stateside distributes and so on five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one, pick up the phone, give it the finger. You can talk back the iHeartRadio app. I have to say, if it's a legit threat, that's fine, but you've got to go after also. And this is where there's some hypocrisy. It's all about the war on drugs, and they say we're under siege, but they have cut programs to help those that are drug addled or the addicted. They've closed some of these facilities already that were government tax dollars that were going in to try to keep these people going in a healthy, more positive direction. There's no question that something needs to be done about the hunger for the high I don't know what else to say about it in that regard, but that comes from schooling and from the home and whatever else it is to give people, you know, an understanding of just say no, which a lot of people thought was a joke, but it worked for some. But desperation and sadness and mental health issues and not getting care that they need, and you know, we like to drink, a lot of people like to numb themselves in a whole lot of different ways. And until that hunger in that market where people are willing to cough up cash money for said drugs and stuff, people are going to supply it, regardless whether it's farmaceutical companies domestically or elsewhere bringing it here legally and then having it used and abused in some fashion, or whether it's drug dealers and manufacturers who couldn't care less that it's just a commodity, no different than oranges or coffee or oil. It just happens to be that substance that you know people are looking forward to alter themselves. I want to know what you think, guys. I mean, I say, if you can handle your drugs responsibly, do your drugs. Not A lot of people are able to necessarily handle their drugs for too long in a way that doesn't cause harm to others and those around them. But I'm in the mindset simply of freedom of choice and liberty and doing what you want until you start acting out and hurting others around you, regardless of it being a smart choice or not. It should be up to you and me and the people around us to do that. And as far as you know, blowing up the people that are tracked picking these drugs, it probably in some ways looks better if they're here or closer to our shores inbound, rather than closer to the shores they're leaving. Because the question that everyone has who has doubts about it, as are these really drug vessels? And imagine if someone was blowing Americans out of the water headed towards somewhere in the Bahamas or somewhere down further Central South America or whatever it is, and they were doing it close to our waters in the international waters, but it's still just the same. My guess is that a lot of us would have a different view as to the aggressive nature of these operations, even though we want to stop the flow of the abuse of drugs and the harm that it causes. Am I crazy? Am I insane? Am I making sense? I want to know what you think because we don't all know everything that maybe some of us would like to know about this, and that leads me to agreeing with President Trump. Put the video out for all of us to see, and then go from there. Five point three seven four nine, seven thousand, eight hundred The Big One, Your chance to get interactive quick break come back later on dev Shapiro godadeal dot com about saving some cash holiday shopping still yet to be done. Dave Hatter Cyborg Security about privacy, new gear, gadgets and productivity. And Terry Nelson basketball Bearcat Gonna join us tak Crosstown shootout Musketeers Bearcats tomorrow night at Sentas on the campus of Xavier. And you'll hear it right here on seven hundred WLW join us in first morning forecast on the Big One. It's cold, feels like winter because it is, uh, well, I don't know it's actually it's not officially winter yet, I don't believe, but it's coming, you know, and the sooner than later, the days we'll start getting longer. In the meantime, more frigid, a serious so called polar vortex. Cold is coming down to twenty tonight, thirty three Tomorrow, mid thirties on Saturday, close to forty on Sunday. Bengals are on the road, so most of us be inside watching the who day. It's twenty five right now, your severe weather station seven hundred w WELW Sterling hanging out. Glad you're here. Fine. Thursday night back Tomorrow night, Saturday afternoon. My normal spots, Dan Carroll, it was on earlier. So that's why I'm doing this asking you about these drug boats that getting blown up by our US military. People are very upset, some of them wanting to I don't know if they want documentation. They want to see pictures of the cocaine or the fentanyl or whatever else. More clearly reports now in the Pacific and other four people killed. It's come out with more video in the Eastern Pacific intelligence confirming that this vessel's carrying illicit narcotics. Turns transiting along known NARCO trafficking route in the Eastern Pacific five three seven, four nine eight hundred The big one. I mean, people like, well, they were climbing on the boat, or you know, this first attack on the boat, and people are very upset saying, well, what were they gonna do? All I know is if I had been on that boat, I would I you're at sea, if you ever been out at sea, even on the Great Lakes, if you're far enough away and something bad happens, whether it's hell fire from a missile brought from the US or a bad storm, my guess is if you are trying to survive, you might try to cling onto that boat. Neighbor was telling me he thought it was egregious, that it was horrible that they shouldn't have gone after him. They've since said in their private hearing and questioning that there was no so called kill order. But I mean, if you're gonna blow stuff up and try to get the enemy someplace, I would think you want to finish the job. The question is is this the right job and the right way to go about it? I suppose where do you fall on this five three seven, four nine eight hundred the Big One first, David read up. After that, we'll try to get Richard and Dayton as well before the nine thirty report, and then Terry Nelson joins us talking a Crosstown shootout on the Big One tomorrow night at Sintas, Cats and Musketeers getting it on. David, appreciate the holding man what you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's disheartening, disappointing to see Trump going down this path after he ran so fervently in twenty fifteen twenty sixteen against the lies of Iraqi WMDs that Bush pushes down because it's basically the same thing. This is Trump dep stuff that it's not really real.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: The narcotics cartel that.
Speaker 3: They claim in Venezuela doesn't exist.
Speaker 5: It's not real.
Speaker 3: And any kind of narcotics that Venezuela is moving, if not coming to the United States, they're kind of known to maybe move as a transit point to move narcotics to Europe. And there's no you know, Venezuelan coastline in the eastern Pacific. You know, that's that's Colombia, all right.
Speaker 5: We know where this stuff's coming from.
Speaker 3: It's coming from Colombia through Central America and Mexico.
Speaker 4: And so Trump is doing the Gulf.
Speaker 3: Of Tonkin just like happened in Vietnam. He's doing Iraqi, WMD's, He's doing everything that he ran against.
Speaker 5: And so it's.
Speaker 3: Heartbreaking to see it because he's got Marco Rubio in as his sex k of State and he's part of the.
Speaker 2: You know, the Cuban.
Speaker 3: Community there in Miami, and they have an agenda right.
Speaker 5: Which is against and I love it.
Speaker 3: I look forward to nothing about, you know, killing socialists and communists and armed conflict. But we got to do it the right way, and lying and being fake and phony like the bushes is not the right way and it's a disgrace to America.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the call, David, thank you. I mean, there's a lot to wagh through there, and we're against the long time read Richard others. My my management time was poor. Good thing. This is not like a football game. We're trying to win before the bell in the final whistle, nine third reports straight away. We'll try to get you guys on the other side sooner than later. Also, we got to Terry Nelson talking basketball Crosstown Shootout Musketeers and those basketball Bearcats at Sentas this time looking to get it on Tomorrow night after the news, we'll talk to Terry. Seven hundred WLW. Glad you're a long fine Thursday night, Sterling, seven hundred WLW. Tomorrow night, seven thirty Centas Center, It's happening again. The ninety third time University Cincinnati basketball Bearcats Xavier Musketeers. Right here, seven hundred WLW, A former Bearcat on the hardwood, a Final four basketball Bearcat does TV stuff. You're hear him with Dan Horde. Heard him earlier with Dan and of course Wes Miller and that coaches show.
Speaker 5: We own.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW. Terry, welcome back. I appreciate you making time. I know you're sort of like doing two things on the same evening, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Sterling, I was just finishing my belt kool aid, you know, I had to have that red.
Speaker 1: Why that's all right. I'm easier to deal with after a couple I've been told, so it's all.
Speaker 5: Right, Montgomery and is really good. Thank you, Tom Gregory.
Speaker 1: Absolutely I am. Now I'm salivating thinking about like some chicken and chips and maybe a half slab, but that's fine. I'm here in a room with a window, always blackened scallops.
Speaker 5: Blackened scallops over over some caesar salad and a sweet potato.
Speaker 1: See that's healthy, that's good, that's balance. You got all those. Yeah, all right, And I have one more question because we just got finished before we get to like game stuff, because you mentioned it about the sweet potato. I just had this argument sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie when you think about Thanksgiving.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm not one that always has to have an either or. If you put both of them out there, they're both going to be eaten.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm with you. I'm in the same boat because that's the answer I have. Give me both, and I'm fine. Just give me a spoon and.
Speaker 5: A coupe and people will ostracize you. They look at you like you're crazy, what fucking bot?
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 5: Give me long as you get merkle up or whipped cream, whatever it is. He'spraaying on top. I'm good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you said that about ostracizing. It his flashback to being a tiny sterling. So I remember that, told you. All right, So let's I want to start here because and we talked about a little bit. I guess it was last year leading up to this game. The game has changed the business of the game. Whether it's my neighbor's teenagers who were keeping track of this stuff way way closer than I remember doing at their age because they're middle schoolers and so forth. As far as guys being transient and moving around, not here for a full four necessarily, how does that change the passion the understanding of such a rivalry. When we're talking about the ninety third meeting of Bearcats and Musketeers.
Speaker 5: They don't know, the coast doesn't know. You know, you got two. Coach West is the fifty years he kind of knows now. He had no idea coming into it. Richard Patino, there's much film as he looks at he'll look at the intensity, he'll look at some of the stuff that Sean Miller did. He'll look at different scenarios. But you don't You never know until you walk into that environment. It's just a different environment. I don't care what the records are. You throw the records out, throw the rankings out, None of that ever matters. It's always about that time in that particular place and who shows up that day. Because sometimes the team with the with the with the best records doesn't play the best. They come into the game. Sometimes they're low cocky. Sometimes they'll be like, you know, we got this. We can a due what we've always done and get the same results. But then there's the underdog, whoever that is in the series. It's like, no, we're gonna, you know, be extra careful in our box offs, We're gonna make sharp passes. We're gonna you know, we may go down, but we're gonna fight back. Like, there's different factors that go into the Crosstown shootout. And as much as coaches like to say it's just another game, they know they're lying to their teeth. They know the pack to this game. It's like Ohio State, Michigan and football. You can win the national championship, but people want to know did you beat Michigan? Did you beat Ohio State? That's all they care about. And if you in this game. As much as the fans for Cincinnati on their side, they're grumpy and grumbling about, you know, how they played thus far this season, if they win against Xavier all as well.
Speaker 1: Terry Nelson is, of course, one of the voices of your basketball bearcats on the Big One. Of course. He also and I want to make sure this is still accurate. Executive director C Club working to deal with the Letterman and those letter winners sort of a coming and reconnecting you.
Speaker 5: They stripped me up my powers. I'm no longer doing that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay, so I have old information. I am sorry that they say you stripped. They stripped you. That's a whole other conversation. So I don't even know like they took it. I was like, you didn't give it back, they took it. It sounds bad. So I don't know if I'm not trying to go into a bad area. So let's just leave that.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: They released me of my duties to hire another fundraiser, okay. And the beautiful momentum that we had that I was building with former athletes and doing parties and collecting information and all that. They're still trying to do it. But there's nobody like Terry.
Speaker 1: No, that's true. Oh no, I agree, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: So I was just looking at these things. I was trying to give you your props. So I apologize. I just scratched that right off the list. But he did it in the past, so there you go. All right, So yeah, with these young guys and they're out there first of all playing in the Big twelve. Some of them, you know, they have bounced around, they've been other places and so forth, and putting together a team Whi's been interesting on the outside looking in, Terry Nelson is seeing how Wes Miller has gone out and find found these different guys who bring different skill sets in some fashion different experiences to this team and seeing in the early part of this season, in the last couple sort of how it all comes together and that gelling of them. Xavier's dealing with this all all these schools are at this point. How challenging is it? Do you think as a coach, is they try to sort of find cohesion with the units such as this.
Speaker 5: Very challenging because you know Richard Patino has the same thing. The NIL and transport portal area has ERA has really changed the game because you know, now the most important thing when you first get your team is now team buildings. So now you've got to spend money on taking them to top golf, taking them out of town to different things, and doing team building exercises, trying to build camaraderie and unity and get guys to trust each other and understanding and conflict resolution, all these things that you didn't really necessarily have to put at the top of the totem bowl when it comes to building your team before, but now because you're only going to have your team for a year, and it's very rare that guys come back because they're playing up to their left and they're trying to up their nil value metric and so they play well, they average fifteen points six rebounds or whatever they're hitting the portal because if they're doing to that UC, then maybe Duke may want me at that same level. Maybe I can do fifteen and six that Duke, and that goes from being two hundred thousand at UC to eight hundred thousand a Duke. That for those numbers, and so it's not so much about legacy, like man, I love Cincinnati, I want to retire. I mean, when I finish my career, I want to be here and come back for alumni Association and all these events and all that. Now guys are playing at five and sometimes six different schools during the COVID era, five four for sure, but five and six different schools I'm like, who are you gonna go to with when it comes to, you know, alumni events, you're gonna pay fifty dollars a month to six different schools or whatever, or you just not gonna give anything, because it's it's just crazy that there's no loyalty from either side because if a player is not doing what he's supposed to do, the coach will have that conversation like, look, where can I help you go because we're gonna just recruit over you. And then so that's what's happening to my son, who's that bowling green with Eddie George right now. They told him he's gonna have to hit the portal because they're gonna bring in our own guys from Tennessee State or wherever they're gonna bring them from. So in this era, it's hard to coach when you know you're only gonna have a guy for not even a full year, like from the beginning of September when you first go to class to the end of March, and at the end of March, they're in the portal. Whether you like them or not, they're in the portal, and it's just like, good God, like, how can you build something here. I don't end college coaches.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm glad these guys are being able to make a living and in some cases a very good living, and hopefully bank some of that money because there's no guarantee on the future, and it's been well deserved to be able to have some earnings out of what, you know, the work that you've done, and all these other guys do to reap some of those rewards. Talking to Terry Nelson, Crosstown Shootout tomorrow Bearcats Musketeers sentas where it's at this year ninety third matchup and here on seven hundred WLW was Sterling one more question before we get back to the shootout, specifically because the bouncing around hard enough on the court, as I mixed metaphors for these guys to be able to gel and find their way and for coaching and everything associated with that. And you know, I've moved around a bit doing this work, but it's a bit of a different animal over the years, just acclimating and so forth. How does that work? And how do these guys handle their studies because they're also having to devote even maybe more time where it is a ton of time just trying to get their game where it needs to be. Also, we're talking no, no, I heard you, I got you. I just want to make sure you were okay. But the silence for a minute was like pointing. I'm like, uh, oh, Terry is okay. I'm here dealing with everything to get it right on the court with all that transient menoportal movement. How is it for these guys trying to find their way academically or is that lost? I mean they still have to do what they have to do in the classroom.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, these guys are graduating earlier. Right So, doctor Joe Lucky is one of the best in the country. Ever since he's come to University Sincinnati from Memphis, the University of Cincinnati athletic department has been either number one or number two in overall department GPA in the AAC and the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: So doctor Joe Lucky makes everybody go to the summer school at least six hours. Its whole philosophy is, if you take eighteen hours and you take six in the summer, you're graduating four years. If you take a little bit more, take a little bit more in the summer, and you can have a chance of graduating three and a half years and still have time to know finish your masters. So there's some people that take twenty one credits and they go to summer school because they can stay here and get the meal plan and the whole nine and left and do the whole thing. Because they're dedicated to their crafts. They graduate in three years and they get that by the time they finish their playing career, they can have their master's degree. So and then a lot of the basketball players are taking online classes. So because doctor Lucky says it's not fair for an athlete to fly in and snowstorms and all the other stuff in the winter months when basketball is played and you know, being playing delays and all that and get there and have to go to an eight o'clock class or ten o'clock class or whatever when you just landed at two in the morning and you got to get unpacked, go to sleep the whole nine and then have to get up and be at school at ten in the morning. Get them an online classes so now he can send one of his staff members to go on every tip they go and check their work with the laptops and everything that's provided for them. So it's been much better because guys are they're not missing classes. Everybody has over it three point zero and everybody's getting their stuff done and he makes it. And Doctor Lucky has been empowered as a senior associate athletic director that he can pull a guy from a game and the coach has nothing to do with it. So if a guy is not going to class, if he's not getting his work done, doctor Lucky can can call in and be like, hey, he's until he gets his paper done. He can't come to practice, he can't come to a game, and the coach has nothing to say about it because that's his job now. And so because there's a standard like that, now, guys they take it serious and they get their work done.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing thing. Way before anything like this was going on, I remember just at right stage seeing these guys in class and I'm like, you guys played last night. I listened, I watched, and they're in there hitting the books and more focus than I was. And I was like, I am obviously not getting it done.
Speaker 5: And now we're trying to be models. They're in their sleeping brother, come.
Speaker 1: On, some mus I might have fallen asleep too. For that matter, I'm thinking about talking to Terry Nelson the Crossown shootout tomorrow. All right, So these guys who are not familiar when you walk into another campus and you walk onto that court at Sentas and these guys who haven't felt this matchup in this energy in the ninety third meeting of Musketeers and Bearcats, and they're looking to get it on tomorrow night on seven hundred WLW. Does that energy just soak into them and they get it? How long do you think it takes before they start to feel that energy from the crowd, from the alums, from everybody else there who may you know, have already experienced this for you know, a couple of seasons, two years.
Speaker 5: It gets real when they get there in that ninety minutes before and they're doing shoot arounds and they're doing their pregame stuff, and the Xavier students will be there drinking signs, you know, having signs held up calling them out their name, trying to get them off their game, you know, trying to jar them a little bit. It'll it'll hit them because some of these guys have been in the environments where even if they were the opposing team. People knew who they were and they were like wanting to see a show. So they may talk a little trash until they show that they are like that and this is the reason why they're going D one or whatever. Then they'd be like, Oh, everybody's clapping for the guy who's making to play. Regardless of what side they're on. Xavier is different. They're gonna realize that Xavier don't care if you have a forty point game. They're gonna talk bad about you the entire game. They're gonna say stuff about you. They're gonna try to get into your head. And they have to be mentally tough because only mentally strong and mentally tough teams going to Xavier and win. So if in the crossounds shootout situation, don't get intimidated by the crowd because normally you go to a gym at ninety minutes before, it's not that pack. It's just some of the service workers. It's a couple of college students coming in there. Xavier, it's the student section is gonna be packed. They're gonna be there waiting. When I played Memphis was like that they had signs, they had you know, they were drinking they had newspapers, they put their face, you know, hide their face. They want to see you. Navier is the real deal. This environment is gonna be good for them because for some of them it's gonna be shocking. So we're hoping that once they see that and they get into a game, they make a shot early or get a block early or still early to settle them down, because they're gonna want to prove to themselves that they're gonna want to shut the fans up so bad that they forced the issue. Like Kobe Bryant in Game seven of that two thy eleven Championship against the Celtics, where he couldn't make a shot yep, but he still got an MVP of the series, but he wanted it so bad that his nerves overtook him and he couldn't make a shot. It took ron our test to win a game, you know, from them to get that championship. It's gonna be nerve wrecking.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to giving an earful tomorrow. Bearcatch look to make it back to back. They won by three sixty eight sixty five last year. They'll do it at Sentas Tomorrow night, seven thirty tip off It's always great hearing you. Good to talk to you. I appreciate you making time. It's tear Nelson. He is a legend until he'll be calling the game with Dan Horde tomorrow. Right here on seven hundred WLW whi's the Crosstown shootout. Terry, thank you for making time. I really do appreciate it. I hope you have a great night.
Speaker 5: Done.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir. All right, news time straight away. Sorry I'm a little bit late. We'll have Dave Hatter on the other side talking to cybersecurity issues. Where the Bengals play Sunday here seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. Can you hear that? That's the sound of lots of electronic toys, communication technology on the wrist, in the hand, in the backseat, in the bed at night with that blue light when you're supposed to be trying to sleep or the kids are supposed to be getting ready for school tomorrow, rather than like who knows what they're doing there? Maybe buying games and stuff on your dollar. There's a lot including shopping. Is we continue to hit the store cyber week, I guess is what we're calling it now. How you're doing at Sterling on a Thursday Night. Dave Patter, cybersecurity expert seven hundred WLW Hicks credentials or an alphabet soup of things. I have no idea what the hell they are.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He's an architect of software, consultant, educator and he's a self described nerd, which I I think we're maybe brothers from other mothers. Dave Patter, how are you? How's everything?
Speaker 4: I'm good, stirring, thanks for having me on. And you know I was gonna say, but you said it better than I could. You could just condence all of it down. I'm going to just kind of a nerd, you know, cool hat wear nerd. When you get right down to the brother.
Speaker 1: It's all right. You're well dressed. We saw you at the Christmas party. It was good and I'm like, man, I don't know why I didn't ask it like you have you on then, but I was like, just shiny objects, jingle bells and all. It was too much And I are absolutely and you were headed out. I think you had some type of mayor business to deal with, because you know you you are that guy, which is pretty nice too for it, right, right, So I.
Speaker 4: Had to get out of there. You are correct, for a city council meeting, you know, before it got too crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I try to avoid the crazy, but it maintained some sense of the court. Somebody's got to do it, so as mayor for instance, as well as an expert in cybersecurity. And I have friends who had issues with the water bill, not in Ohio but elsewhere recently where apparently their water company or whoever provides their water service apparently got jacked, which has caused them problems. This being the holiday shopping season, lots of new gear as well, aside from just going either on a device of choice or actually going to the store, which I like to do a little bit of both, there's a lot of issues with people's credentials being stolen and emails and phishing scams and everything else. And I don't mean like I'm going to take a trip to go do some fly fishing. We're talking about fishing of other types. What's the biggest threat or concern that you see right now now, Dave Hatter, Well.
Speaker 4: You always see elevated risk around any type of big time shopping event. Prime Day for example, when Prime Day hit this year, a cybersecurity firm had done so research and in this place right into what I'm going to say next. But they did some research and found that over two hundred thousand, two hundred thousand fraudulent websites were created around Prime Day at a four month period. And there's two key things, and then I'll come back to the Christmas season here. First off, the average person who's not in the business like me and a nerd like you to spend thirty plus years do with this, doesn't realize how easy it is to create something that is spooked, something that looks legitimate to the naked eye, but it is fraudulent. Whether it's an entire website like these two hundred thousand websites, whether it's an email, whether it's a text message, whether it's a phone call. And thanks to AI, it's getting easier and easier to do these things. But it's very easy to create something that looks like it's legit to the naked eye, and unless you're fairly technical or we know how to dig into it, you can't tell it's not legit. The bad guys notice. And when you get into these again, these shopping oriented seasons, they will frequently set up fake websites. They will you know, send out hundreds of millions of phishing emails because it's cheap and easy to do, and it's easy to make them look very realistic. I would bet you every single person you're listening audience has gotten one or more frauds with texts in the last couple of days. I'm de loused with these things. You know, your package didn't get delivered, you owe a told the sheriff wants to see you about whatever.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, it's very easy to spoop a phone number, and it's nearly, you know, almost free to send out texts, so you know they're coming at you from every angle. They're on social media, they're in kids' video games. But when you get into these shopping seas, its right when they know people are looking for deals. In many cases, you've got guys like me who wait to the last minutes to buy something for their wife. You know, they're playing off all these angles. They're putting all this fraudulum stuff out there, But it's really the stooping and then the social engineering that goes along with it. Whether it's the this deal is too good to be true. You have to act by five pm to day or your package has been delayed or whatever. They create things that look very realistic and then and you know, they engineer you with either a deal it's too good to be true, or there's some sort of disaster that's about to happen to you. And you know that's how they suck people into this stuff, and then it just gets elevated around the You know it's never ending, but it's really elevated these times a year because they know people are ready to spend money and they're out there looking for good deals.
Speaker 1: Talking to Dave had her cybersecurity expert of the Big One, Stirling on two hundred thousand fraudulent websites. That's hard to process. But the bell that rang in my head as soon as you said that is that someone very close to me, an elderly or elder relative of mine, tells me is she was getting on one of her insurance websites that apparently they had spoofed that site and had different phone numbers and even a link that she caught early, but was concerned even calling that wasn't sure that what number was right because they were just a number or two off for transposed, and not everybody. I was surprised. She reached out to me. I'm like, I don't know if I'm the right person to call this, but what do you tell so what about that? And you would think that a big insurance company would have a way to protect themselves from that very issue, if nothing else, by using you know, all the dot biz, dot everything else to avoid anything close to being faked.
Speaker 4: Well, you're you're on the right track, Sterling, And in many larger organizations with deep pockets that can go out and register a bunch of different domains will do that right to keep people from setting up these doppelganger domains and these spoof websites for something similar. But there's there's two major problems with this that make it an almost insurmountable task. Again, even if you're like a Kroger p and G someone with very deep pockets, you might register a Kroger dot com, Kroger dot biz, Kroger dot whatever. Right, here's here's the thing that the bad guys know that the average person doesn't, and it really gets to the heart of this spoofing issue. Again. You can I could go out right now and with very little skill get a get a free tool that would allow me to clone to literally copy everything off the seven hundred wl do website, put it on a server somewhere and then now, of course, the trick is, how do I register a domain that looks like seven hundred wow dot com or you know what I'm saying. Sure, well, okay, here's part of the trick if you think about it. Other languages have different characters, right, Spanish has a different character set. You know, it overlaps with English, but they have certain characters with umlautz and umloutz. German but things like that, right, German has you know, umlountz. When you look at other characters and from other character sets, right, Like, if you get a keyboard that's set up for German, it will allow you to enter these German characters. So this is the idea of a character set. Well, there's character sets for every language known. Demand I could go out and I could try to register a domain seven hundreds of a little tricky because they're just zeros. But I might rEFInd a character set where the upper case letter O to the naked eye looks like a zero. The computer knows that's not a zero, but the human being does not know that's not a zero. I might register domain name like city Bank, where the A is actually like a different character from another language, looks very similar to the English A. If you know what you're looking for, and you look very carefully, you'll see a very very tiny difference. But the average person A does not even know this is a thing. And secondarily, unless you're paying extremely careful attention and you're just a total tinfoil hat nut like me, you're not going to notice this. The bad guys know this, of course, so I think, and that's you know, that's why one of the reasons why I very much appreciate you letting me come on to talk about this. But the best defense against all of this is awareness. Awareness that this is happening, That this is not some stuff some nut like me made up. This is real. It's happening all the time. These people that are behind it are very smart, right, and they're playing off the fact that the average person doesn't understand any of this. So I create a website like target dot com, for example, and instead of the A, I use the krillic right, it looks almost exactly like an A. So and to answer your question specifically, there is it would be almost impossible to register every possible combination of a domain with every character set known demand to try to block someone from creating a doppelganger site that's using that technique. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: This is a difficult It absolutely does, and it doesn't really make me feel a whole lot better about any of this. To be honest with you're talking to Dave had or cybersecurity expert. But yeah, I understand, you just have to be It's sort of like with telling someone that you know when they tell you they're not going to call you, that they're really not going to call you and ask you for information out of the blue or text you for certain information and so forth.
Speaker 4: I want to go down that path because I think that's super important and it ties into this. But there's one last thing I want to throw out. And even if they don't use a different character set, they're sometimes so crafty. They might register let's say Microsoft dot com and they'll use a lowercase R and a lowercase end because unless you're looking very carefully, it looks like a lowercase M when they're right next to one another. Yeah, that's how that's how creative these folks are. So again, knowing these kind of scams are out there and knowing that you should be extra aware and on heightened alert year when they're sending out the deal that's too good to be true and you got to act on it today. Right, If you're just aware and skeptical, you're going to be a lot better off than most people. And then to your point, like, don't take the call. So this just just in the headlines. Recently, Apple has been warning that there are tech support scams out there. This tech support scam is not new, but it doesn't have to be tech support. No big company. Apple will tell you on their website. Google will tell you on their website. Microsoft will tell you on their website. And if you don't believe what I'm about to say, neck try to call them and see if you can get help from them, much less them sitting around going huh, looks like Sterling's computer might have a virus. Hey, Sterling, this is Apple. You might have a virus on your computer. Well, I'm just letting me get in there and fix that thing up for you. That is never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. If you get a call like that, you know, you get a call from your bank going back you mentioned irrelative. I'm sitting on accounts one night with my wife and she gets a call from our bank quote unquote USAA, hey, there's broad on your accounts. Blah blah blah blah. My hang up, it's a scam. She's like, no, this sounds legitimate. It's a scam.
Speaker 5: Trust me. Hang up.
Speaker 4: Your bank is not going to call you. They're not going to text you, and if they do, right, you should not act on that. You should hang up, don't take the call, get out your credit card, call the number on the credit card, get your bank statement, go to the app on your phone that you use every day, Go to the website that you use. Don't take debate folks, because they are professional con artists.
Speaker 1: That's their job. It'll be nice if they use their powers for good, but they don't. I guess it's part of the fun. They've had. Her final question, We're short on time, and I appreciate the insight. And I could talk for hours on this, which I'm sure would put you to sleep, because this is what you're life. I just live in fear and don't answer my phone, so yes or no answer. Effectively, smart toys are everywhere. AI is everywhere. Do you trust smart toys with your kids in twenty twenty five going into twenty twenty six, this gift giving holiday season.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, not a chance I would buy any sort of internet connected toy, especially if it has a AI in it for my children or grandchildren. Not a chance I would buy something like that. Way too much risk, not just because of the AI, but because of the surveillance they're recording the freaky, weird people that could potentially access your kids through it. I would avoid that stuff like the plague. And if you look at any kind of consumer ambassy groups that looks at this, they will tell you the same thing, stay away from next stuff.
Speaker 1: How can people find out more about what you do and reach out if they in fact need the help of one day've had or cybersecurity expert here the big.
Speaker 4: One, Well, I'm easy to find on x Dave at dave had LinkedIn or intrust dash dot com.
Speaker 1: There you go, Thank you, my man. I hope you have a fantastic night. And I feel see you're supposed to make me feel better. And even Joe Waddell was producing He's like, I don't feel much safer at all, So that's great, I guess fear is great. TV is good at scaring people. I guess we're getting better at it. Two here Dave had her Thank you.
Speaker 4: Sir, always my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Ster Thanks, take care of yourself. Quick break coming up ten third to report, other side more to do plus Dev Shapiro talking about got a deal and saving money for you this holiday season. Sterling seven hundred WLW. Hey, how you doing, Sterling? Hanging out fine? Thursday Night, seven hundred WLW. Somer Night Basketball bear Cats Crosstown shoot at face off against Xavier's Musketeers Sinta Center seven thirty tip conversation earlier with Terry Nelson, of course, one of those voices of the basketball bear Cats that are on the program for a long time than they're part of that final four team back in ninety two. As well. You can listen back to the podcast talking to him about that matchup and everything else with that podcast to be up at the show a little bit later as we get into atn after midnight. Also a bit stuff with Dave Hatter or cybersecurity expere with a whole lot of people shopping and so forth for new gear and a lot of concern and people out there looking to high star stuff our identities in our pockets for sure, looking to rip people off. So that'll be worth listening to as well. Coming up in about twenty seven minutes or so, Deb Shapiro from godadeal dot com going to talk about saving money and where the best deals are this cyber week and what's left of it and leading up through those holidays where were let to take care of the ones that we care about, the ones we love, and it maybe even a little good stuff for ourselves as well. Appreciate you hanging out speaking of such a larra Lee Mallen came in. I'm sorry, I just said a brain cramp. He comes in to the studio and he says, you're looking for like a ramp for like laptops and desktop computers and so forth. AI, which is supposed to be the savior for everything unless you're in like hospitality business with a lot of jobs, will be made a lot easier with the help of AI and all the technology with it helping to make stuff faster, complicated solutions found much easier, and so forth. But streamlining workflows and of course rationalizing expenses for individuals, for small business and certainly big business of the world is changing and changing fast, but this is disturbing if you're someone who likes to mess around with your own technology, your laptop, your desktop. Maybe you're a gamer somebody like that, where you want to maybe put some ram in, maybe soup up your stuff without actually buying new gear overall, new laptop, new desktop. I've been one of those people who go to microcenter, go online, maybe somewhere else order look for the best price for the stuff, something quality. And apparently the idea of cheap RAM, at least for the time being, is not going to be back anytime soon, depending on what you're looking at. And they say that's because of a generative AI data centers. Apparently it's sucking up all the world's memory and storage supplies and jacking up prices with it. It's not just going to be our electricity or issues with water to cool down all these hard working technologies. Apparently it's also going to hurt people who like to mess around and build their own stuff or tool it or whatever else they're saying. Now price is up five hundred percent for SSD and overall mets from a CyberPower pc and a bunch of others. May we had to have Dave Hatter on about this too. My guess is he's one of those like fix him up type of people. That's crazy. So in the midst of all this change and evolution, if you will, that's going to be something to look forward to, apparently cheaper to just to buy new stuff, which is where we are in a lot of ways, disposable society. I mean, you know, take the time to fix something or order it, you know, from a pick up place or go to the store, and you can buy new for less than it would be to fix some stuff used to be. You know tube TV's I hear my elders tell me about. Oh yeah, I remember when you go you have a TV repair man come to the house, they plug tubes in, get it fixed up. And you know that you keep a TV that was the size of like, I don't know, maybe my first apartment or something. Now you get a TV the size of your wall, and if it goes on the fritz, depending, you just go get a new one. So it's a weird, disposable kind of world in which we're living in a lot of ways, and apparently laptops and other stuff for that ram that gets popped in and out. If you wanted to sort of soup up your gear, it's going to be a situation where it might be cheaper to go buy something new overall and forget about it. So that's something leading into the holidays. And if you've got somebody who's big into gaming and so forth, they probably already known this. It's been a while since I've actually, you know, souped up one of my bits of equipment. And when Lee came in here, I was like, what are you talking about? I'm like, oh no, let me see. So I started looking at prices. Yeah, it is steep. It is happening five three seven nine seven eight hundred. The Big One. Your chance to get interactive, the iHeartRadio app. If you're streaming there and it's Thursday, you know what's happening live. And if you're looking at a podcast, we can still talk back by clicking on the microphone into certainly leaving a message there. I'm going to bring something and you can sound off on anything that we've talked about. Basically tonight. Five three seven nine, seven thousand, eight hundred. The Big One. Pick up the phone, give it the finger. Like my good friend mister K used to say, I want to revisit something I mentioned earlier, because I have gotten a good number of communicate by way of X in direct messaging also and to some conversations that just in general, and I sort of led with this early on, talking about those Pentagon officials, higher ups in the military generals and stuff with a whole lot of decorations on those chests. You may have seen video of this already closed door meeting with lawmakers discussing those attacks on what they're calling drug boats in parts of the Pacific. They got another one today, killing four and apparently putting the kaibash on some drugs coming stateside. At least that's the idea, whether from Columbia or elsewhere, whether it's from Venezuela over in the Caribbean. Of course, when all these attacks started, which is what this hearing was about, and these conversations and probing questions with these military generals and so forth who were a party to these decisions and continuing that operation, that's onward and forward at this point. Here's what I want to know, because the idea of the war on drugs, right, it seems like as long as I've been alive, they've been talking about a war on drugs, which means that a whole lot of people still looking to get hopped up on the goofballs of one type or another and enjoying the drugs and stuff. And it doesn't seem that the hunger is going away. So I'm just wondering, because you know, this was not far from but certainly the ravages of the opioid epidemic and still fentanyl issues and car fentanyl issues, and people still like the cocaine I understand, and there are probably some other drugs I don't even know about that people like to get hopped up on. The concern is not knowing the power of some of these. And there was a whole lot of talk that it was from China before China, China, China, China, China. We kept hearing it was from China. Then we heard it was coming through Canada, so they sealed up that border. Apparently they sealed up the southern border. Now they're going after like cigar boats and everything else. That reminds me of reruns of Miami Vice that's pretty much streaming twenty four hours a day. What I want to know is this, what do you think this is going to somehow help limit the supply of drugs here Stateside, my guess is they'll find another way to get it in here. I'm just guessing cargo containers, whatever else it is, and law enforcement, DEA whatever, they're working hard trying to end all of this. But what I want to know in addition to that is, are you concerned about so called war crimes? Are you concerned that somehow in international waters we're just blowing these vessels up and leaving people to fend for themselves, if not killing them immediately, letting them drown, or whatever else goes into it. If you've ever been out at sea any distance where you can't see shore anymore, probably can't swim the shore. We certainly know that the drug problem here State site is an issue. Is this going to help curb it? Just raise prices for the dope? Is this something that we should be doing with our military? I asked, because a lot of people are upset, A lot of people are up in arms, you know, and a lot of people are thinking that somehow we have crossed a line, and that includes lawmakers, some from both sides of the aisle in relation to this. So I'm just curious I have seen the ravages of what drugs do. Whether it's legal drug like alcohol booze. A lot of people hit the bottle. More people kill themselves drinking than just about anything else. Hell, they kill a lot of other people too when they get behind the wheel. Whether it's you know, prescription medications used and abused, whether it's some other type of pharmaceutical that is cooked up someplace, methamphetamine or otherwise. People like to get high. They have always like to alter their minds. It starts as early as the playground and spinning around on do you call it a marrow go round? Whatever, the things that spins around, and then you know, or even I've seen kids and I remember doing this spinning around and then you know, you fall down because you're dizzy and disoriented. That's the first time a lot of kids notice that they're altered, not feeling like they once did, a little woozy or otherwise. So one is this going to make a difference? Should there? What can we do differently? And do you give a damn about people being blown up in the Caribbean or in parts of the Pacific by our military if they are in fact putting an end to an influx of the illegal drugs that is leaving the wake of carnage, death, suffering, illicit trafficking on the streets of Cincinnati, in Newport and Covington and Dayton, Ohio, or anywhere else across the country for that matter, thirty eight states after dark listening to me on the Nation station or effectively the world and the iHeartRadio app. People have been looking to get drunk and high in one way or another forever. So what difference is this really going to make? And if you are on vacation or heading some place in the Caribbean, are you more or less likely to take a fishing vessel out in a boat to go check out and to see if you can't catch some big fish or maybe do some scuba diving. I've been to Cosmo, I've been to other places in the Caribbean and had a chance to do with some of that. I like to fish as well. My biggest worry was losing a pole, running out of air, getting the bends. I never thought that in that situation I might be looking from above to see if it was my ass that was going to be blown out of the water, which is what people in these countries are now are saying that they're fishermen and not drug dealers or traffickers five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred the big one. Does it matter to you that this is going on? And the idea that it is a war and the question of war crimes is that you'd have to have a declaration of war, which I don't recall we've done, even though it has been the war on drugs for as long as I've pretty much been alive. To Clifton and Kevin was sterling on seven hundred WLW Kevin, what's going on? Appreciate you listening to being a part of the show.
Speaker 7: Spelling. You hit it on that. You hit it on the head man, you hit it one hundred on the head Tarling play style Montown listener, Uh, thank you you and Donna, you guys right. Appreciate Now here's the thing. Own property, well, my family does in the caravan and I'm afraid spelling, I am afraid. I'm afraid. I'm usually Kevin, but now I'm afraid because them pulling the boats and I guess I can't go out on the boat.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: The good thing is I don't swim that well, so I probably wasn't going on the boat anyway, It's probably not going to work out. I don't think I'll start targeting planes because I do fly and those are really small. Post story, I am. I am at a loss as to whether or not those are the kind of boats are the problems for the millions of pounds of drugs coming to the US on an annual basis. I just I don't see it.
Speaker 1: There is a hunger. I would think that there would be an effort in some way, because I mean, listen, we don't want it coming here. Although I say, do what you want and handle yourself appropriately and if you you know, if you want to do some drugs, do them. Just don't put anybody else in harm's way and live your life. That's just my view, right. But on the other side of it, do you have a problem with them blowing these people out of the water in general, if in fact they can confirm that it isn't you know, something inbound to the States or no.
Speaker 7: So look, I mean you know the so first off, I have a massive degree in public public administration, right, so the only thing I know is policy, and I don't know if any policy that allows for them to do it, and that's the concern. Listen, if you do it within the regulations of our great United States, right, the Constitution, and you do what it's constitutionally appropriate, I have no problem. But not being from this country does not mean you don't have those same inalienable rights. Right. That's why our founder fathers came up with that document to say, Hey, this isn't just for the people in the United States, this is for all people. So blowing somebody up in the middle of the water without giving them a trial, yeah, that rubs me the wrong way, the same way as is right somebody where it's down the street and do something nefarious to somebody related to you, right, because to me, it's the same thing.
Speaker 1: You know what, I absolutely do. I get it. I get it, and I appreciate the perspective and what you bring. I hope you'll call again. I appreciate you the kind words and listening into a great perspective. Kevin. I hope you have a fantastic night you too. Merry Christmas, Happy holidays to you as well. Christmas time is here for sure, your chance to get interactive on this and other stuff coming up as well. Dev Shapiro Gidadeal dot comm gonna join us, talk about saving money for you and yours and the deals still left for Cyber weekend, whatever else between now and Christmas time and Hanukkah and Kwanza and whatever makes you happy in these United States, It's a Thursday Sterling Crosstown shootout. Tomorrow night, bear Cats, Musketeers sentas and here on the nation station comes Sunday. What else Bengals bills from Buffalo one o'clock, seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. There we go, one final hour to get going to spend this fine Thursday night. Kevin Gordon, America's trucking network in the distance getting warmed up after midnight, kind enough to give us some time sterling hanging out here. Dev Shapiro, it's been way too long, close to a year from godadeal dot com. Welcome back to the big One. How are you. How's a holiday season treating you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great? How are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: I have no complaints. We're supposed to connect. I think it was last week and you were You're in Dallas. For those who don't know, you were in the midst of like some serious like thunderstorm action. We were thinking snow and you were dealing with a different type of storm scenario. So you survive.
Speaker 2: Problem, Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 6: Probably about two miles away from my house, another house was struck by lightning calm fire. Luckily didn't do too much damage. But yeah, I'm in Texas, so you know, the weather gets crazy. It's forty degrees here right now, but you know, supposed to warm up later next week.
Speaker 2: So it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Forty Almost sounds warm me right now, but I'm whining. I complain if it's too hot. I complain if it's too cold. I mean, I got problems, as you know. Def Shapiro from gotadal dot com was sterling on the big one. All right, So here we are. We are in full on cyber week mode. You've been through Cyber Monday, You've been through the Black Friday Deal. You know, people may still have in their memory those times when people would be looking for leaked ads that you were willing and able to share with the masses, which is I think how we initially started talking. Because you would get copies of these things in one way or another, which I think a lot of these companies leaked the ads at the time. Early but it was back when people were waiting online at these stores often Thanksgiving Day, ditching out on meals, maybe even having catered meals in some cases outside of a pick a store type of scenario. But it's a different world we're living in now. How is the business now? With some retailers stocking up before some of the tariffs kicked in or before or they were changed or yanked away or were never necessarily enacted though they were talked about. Uh, because prices have been so high with inflation. A lot of different types of pressures in regard to inflation, and I'm always looking to save money. Is waiting better or no?
Speaker 6: You know, I think with the tariff situation, you know there are some issues out there, But you know, I've been monitoring the big box retailers and they've not really had too much problem with stock issues or anything. I think Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, those big retailers in your area, I think they did a pretty good job of stalking up. And I think a lot of the overseas factories we're very preemptive of sending a lot of stock here to the States. I've not seen much, but I've also too seen some of the deals that are not really there, you know. I mean there's some of like the deep cuts on the TV has not really been there this year, But on other you know items, there's been some really good deals. So it's a lot of a hit and mess.
Speaker 1: Def Shapiro from Got to Deal Tom was stirling on the big one. So what are the product sectors you mentioned? Television's electronics, that's always this sort of thing leading into say Super Bowl, which of course is a little ways away yet, but that and a lot of college hoops and just in general it's the gift given season a lot of people look to do it. So any particular product sector that seems to be the most tantalizing with deals or is that one of those that it depends on the retailer as much as it does the product sector.
Speaker 2: Depends on the retailer.
Speaker 6: And you know, as you said opening the segment up, we're in the middle Cyber Week, Cyber Monday. I think you're going to start seeing a lot more deep, deep discounts coming out next week. We got Honkkah starting in about ten days, so we got you know, our Jewish friends and relatives that are going to be celebrating that so I think a lot of the retailers are going to start slashing prices for that, and then I think the retailers are going to get panicted nervous towards the big day towards Christmas. So I think you're going to see a lot more sales coming about and coming online. And that's kind of the beauty of where we are right now in the world. Everything's so electronic, so they could just decide at the last minute to you know, hey, we're going to discount this this product line or you know, this section of products that we have. I'm like, way back in the day when you and I started, you would have to you know, plan it, print an AD and stuff like that. I think with the retailers, they're going to just you know, flip on and flip off the switch.
Speaker 1: Kind of a strange thing. Time changes everything. Talking to Desha Biro fromgodadeal dot com, so what about this thing? And when I was I work in the automotive industry a little bit too, and they were just coming into the front end at that time of sort of pricing for a marketplace, so you could see automatically what the other competitors ad and where you were and sort of find you know, that price. And now we see in other forms of retail that sometimes if they noticed that you've been looking on one device or another and they're tracking you, depending that prices may vary from me to my neighbor because of what we've bought previously in how we're shopping. How much does that play into this compared to going into the store and just seeing what's on the shelves, and so many of us are just waiting for somebody to drop it off and hope to not be victimized by a porch pirate.
Speaker 2: You know, it plays a lot.
Speaker 6: I think you know, I always tell people, and I've told people this for many years now. You know, intelligence and information is more valuable than gold. So as you're surfing the internet, on Facebook, on the socials, on the Gram and stuff like that, you know these companies are tracking you. They're tracking you know, your habits and stuff. And I think a lot of retaillers have that technology. I know Walmart does, I know target desk to where they may give you an extra discount. I'll give you a great example. There was a book on Yiddish New York.
Speaker 2: You know New York.
Speaker 6: Yiddish back in the you know, back in the day, and I've been looking at this book. It's it was in my favorites list. It went from you know, I think it went from like forty dollars to thirty and then all of a sudden, I get a message from Amazon saying, hey, I there's a fifteen dollars off coupon you need to use in the next four hours. So I was able to get that book for a very very reasonable price. But you know, these these companies, you know, collect information on you, and and you know, I always tell people that, you know, Google knows when you're sick, and knows when you have cancer and stuff like that, or when you're going to get a divorce before even your spouse does or your significant other, because everything's all on that computer and you search stuff, and you so the retailers know where the market staff and where to like, you know, take a hit on some items just to get you in there and to buy stuff.
Speaker 1: Now you're just talking to our cybersecurity expert. A little earlier, Dave had into now talking to Dev Shapiro, And it's funny how all of these type of topics in conversation that we've been touching on are somewhat interrelated. And I'm not trying to be the profit of doom dev but you said something quite interesting. So because they know what we're looking at, what we're reading, and all the things that go in with AI, they know what you're sick of, or whether you're researching because of a family member or whatever else. It's very much in our business and aware of our lifestyle situation and where we are and catering to us. On one hand, there's a benefit. But on the other hand, if they know that you're in desperate need of something, supply demand says that it has more value than they can obviously put the screws to you, rightly or wrongly. How much does that play into the retail game?
Speaker 6: That plays a lot into the retail game, because the whole thing about our retailer is they want to get you in the door, whether it be in the cyber door of surfing their website or in the door physically. And like I said, with that book on Yidish New York, yeah, I mean it's a very specialized book. But when I bought it, I also too bought a few more iems because I was like well, well I'm here. I'll just you know, put several stuff from my card and I was looking for a Stax Christmas album that I wanted, so I paid full retail for that, and there was a few other things I needed for the house. So yeah, so besides buying the Yiddish book, I got several other things that I paid almost close to full retail for. So you know, it did their job. It did the job that they wanted to.
Speaker 1: And for those who don't know, I mean, there's a whole lot of words in our regular everyday you know slang laden American lexicon of English as such that it is where there are Yiddish words that are everyday thing. So it sounds like a fantastic read. And our families are both sort of mixed up a little bit. I love Christmas, I love Hanukah, I love all the holidays in general. Pick one and I embrace it. So's it's pretty interesting. Now I'm like, man, I need to get that book.
Speaker 6: We also do have Quansa as well, and our friends that celebrate Kwansa, So you know, December is a really interesting and fun time just to celebrate everything that we we love, celebrate our friends and our family, and that's.
Speaker 2: Really what the holidays is about.
Speaker 6: And you know that's what gift giving is about too, is you know, getting something special for that friend that you know, modeor lawn when we are on vacation, or you know, our significant other or whatnot. That's what's all about here.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I have two things here. One is we've discussed this before, the fear of missing out, and it's a powerful feeling. We are viscerally affected and controlled by our pleasure and pain and the pain associated with missing out. Whether it's that one gadget toy, whatever it is that the kids may want that we love and wanted to make happy, or whether it's that idea of missing out on the best deal. If someone's you know, obviously, if it's a limited items for some reason this season, whatever the particular toy or whatever device it is, you want to get it because if it's in short supply, then you're stuck and it's gone correct correct.
Speaker 6: But I'm not really seeing anything in short supply. It's not like the Elmo dolls or the Cavish fash dolls that our parents fought for. You know, I'm not seeing any of that short supplies. You know, I haven't seen in several years. Maybe there's that one particular toy. You know, I'm a forty six year old single guy, so I don't have kids and I don't buy for kids. But you know all of our you know, we don't have any kids in our family. But you have not seen anything in like short supply or anything like that.
Speaker 1: What do you tell someone who is of the opinion that maybe it will turn a week from now to two weeks from now, leading closer to Christmas in the midst of Hannah at that point you mentioned Kwanza even if you're just you know, against the holidays but want to save a dollar, what do you tell someone to get something now? Can you go back to a retailer and say, hey, you discounted it more. Can you get the difference or is it just you got it when you got it, so suck it up and deal with it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's you got it when you got it.
Speaker 6: So a lot of these retailers have clauses in their return policy and their price matching policy that they do not, you know, do any of that price matching during the holidays.
Speaker 2: You know, if it's.
Speaker 6: Something that you really want or you really want to give you know, whoever that gift, I would go ahead and get it pulled the trigger because that joy you're going to have given it to that person and seeing their reaction is going to stay with you for the rest of your life. But you can also too go to godideil dot com. So we have a message board there that if you're looking for a particular item, you can say, hey, I'm looking for this grill or I'm looking for a book, or looking for something, where can I find it the best price? And we have people that will jump on every day, people that will jump on and help you find that item at the good best price possible. And that's what the beauty of goodideil dot com and has been for the last twenty plus years.
Speaker 1: What have I not asked that you think is relevant to was somebody looking to find that best deals kind of scenario? Because even you may be loaded, I mean, but I always want to I want to say.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, you may be loaded, or somebody may be loaded, but some of the richest people in the world they you know, look at Warren Buffett. He goes to McDonald's and he uses coupons of McDonald's. So It's all about how you be smart with your money. But the biggest thing I've been telling friends.
Speaker 2: And families look local.
Speaker 6: You know, we talk about tariffs and stuff like that, and we've kind of talked about this in the past, but look at local, local gift shops, local businesses. They're suffering too, and they need to be able to put food on the table and close on their body. But you know there's also two. You know, your local sporting teams will have deals in their pro shops, but also two for tickets for you know, the following sporting year. Museums have a lot of great deals. You know, workout facilities like the JCC here in Dallas and a lot of the jccs around the Jewish Community centers around America that are having Cyber Week specials on discount of membership. So there's a lot you can do if you shop local. You don't have to shop at the big buck stores.
Speaker 2: Local.
Speaker 6: You know, this is how our economy runs as local businesses, and we need to keep those folks and you know in business now.
Speaker 1: I mean they are the largest employer in the engine to this economy. There is no question friends neighbors, So it's all about keeping up money moving around and whether it's restaurants or gift shops of one type or another, something specialty or even the you know, the deli or the bakery around the corner. Got a deal, said Dev Shapiro was sterling on seven hundred WLW. I want to switch gear. So I think we've covered some stuff and we've always discussed off the air about maybe doing something on the youre talking about filmfest stuff, and you travel around in the film industry in one way or another. You know, I'm curious, are you ever or have you ever made it to Cincinnati for the Cincinnati Film Fest? Are you considering this? Is it possible that you can do it twenty six?
Speaker 2: Well, that is next that is on my list next year.
Speaker 6: I mean I always wanted to come to your area for nothing but great things about your lovely city, and so that is a goal next year. And I'd love to come and to let to meet you in person. Maybe we could talk about films in person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be fantastic. Anything else I haven't asked or about film stuff. Anything you got. This is your time, and I appreciate you making it, and uh, you know, I just you're just a good guy, and you've always made yourself available and I have great information your good egg.
Speaker 6: But I really do appreciate it. I would say, you know, you know, just shop around. I mean, the biggest thing that I would tell people is know what you're.
Speaker 2: Going to buy. Do your research.
Speaker 6: You know, we have the Google machine and Reddit and gottideal dot com. So know what you're going to buy. Do do research on prices and you know, price history, and that's the best way you can arm yourself against getting cheated or getting scammed. Also to just you know, change your passwords to your you know, shopping accounts, making sure your credit cards are up to date on those shopping accounts. You know, just be you know, the holidays, we get in such a big rush, and this kind of goes with your cybersecurity. Guys, you'll agree with me. Just just be careful, don't click on any links you see if it's too good to be true. It is too good to be true ninety nine point nine percent times. But yeah, just keep on the lookout for deals and shop local. I am finding a lot of good deals locally on bicycles and you know, hand crafted items and stuff that you know that it's just as cool as a big screen TV. I think with all the years you and I have talked, you know, Black Friday, I think all of us have enough TVs in our house and we don't need any more TVs where we're gonna put them, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I have a wall or two there might be open, so we'll just see exactly how that goes. Got adeal dot com you can find out more about saving and it's selling. Filmnews dot com two, which is the other site with the combination of all kinds of stuff, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have selicfilmnews dot com where we do film reviews and we cover film festival coverage. And then we also too have seleakfilm News on YouTube where we have Larry King style sit down interviews with all of these wonderful independent filmmakers. A lot of great films came out this year and there's a lot of creative energy. There's a good sit down interview with Rippincindar for Flight one eighty two, which is a short film narrative short film about the Flight one eighty two disaster nineteen eighty five, who the filmmaker Ripping has a close Hi's family ties. It but just a lot of great stuff out there, a lot of great movies on these streaming services this holiday season, so you know, catch a movie and does not catch a movie in person, because he's theaters did your business as.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true. An that big thing of popcorn and a super sized doctor Pepper. So I have to get my own catheter as a part of it. Consis you gotta be careful. You get like a gallon of soda or whatever it is, and then you get a two and a half hour movie. It's it's tough when you get to be a guy of a certain age, don't you.
Speaker 6: It is and you say dr Pepper, you're from Texas. I mean that's a Texas drink. Dr Pepper.
Speaker 1: I mean I liked Texas, but no, I've not never yet had a chance to call it home. I appreciate you making time. We're dead out of it though, Deb Shapiro gotadeal dot com. Take care of yourself and we'll catch up again sooner than later.
Speaker 2: My man, you too, Happy holidays.
Speaker 1: Happy holidays, more Sterling coming back. Sorry I'm a little bit late. Don't hate me. Eleven't third report straight away seven hundred wlw L after along Sterling hanging out by Thursday night at Nation Station seven hundred WLW. Dan Carol often here this time, but he was a during the day, so I'm here now back again Friday night. That's tomorrow, following Crosstown shootout basketball bear Cats Musketeers at Sentas seven thirty tip off. I will follow it here. Talk to Terry Nelson, earlier basketball bear Cat broadcaster. He does a little of everything. He was there for the final four for those bear Cats in the early nineties. Always a great conversation. Listen to the podcast later about that. Dave Hatter of course cybersecurity joining Dev Shapiro looking for deals from godadeal dot com. All that after the podcast posts following the show leading into America's Truck of Network, which follows me with Kevin Gordon behind the wheel. Appreciate you being along. It's been a wild night. Anderson's raptors fell unfortunately, unless you're an Avon Eagles fan. And actually I think an eagle was actually a raptor too, right, It's a different type of killer bird. I know that my mother is watching multiple eagles nests now in Australia as well as here in the United States. As these birds either taking care of babies or otherwise. But Avon thirty seven, Anderson twenty and just an incredible year all the way around for Anderson as well. But the congratulations to Avon for doing what they did tonight Saint X and all in Tangy Orange tomorrow night looking for Ohio State High school football championship that starts earlier. So what have results for that if not during the crossdown shootouts? Certainly following what else tonight? Oh Thursday night football, Cowboys fall thirty forty four, Lions all over them up in Destois or Detroit, depending But it was a French name, Dytoa, That's what they called it. Just so you know, not that I'm like mister French, although I did take French in high school at one of my five high schools, and I did not retain much. What I have you can't really say openly because it's probably bad words. I just know that my French teacher was mochen Hot and I was distracted way too much.
Speaker 2: Either way.
Speaker 1: Lions now seven and five and Cowboys I think six and five, so a great game earlier if they had a chance to check that out. Let's see what else. Oh uh, I want to. You know, there's always talk, I mean, the wonder our Olympics are coming up, and I am always interested in the new sports, the new activities, the new endeavors of competition that are brought into the fold, often their exhibition sports or activities or competitions, and then the ones that are really successful they sort of bring into the fold. They did that with snowboarding and a lot of other stuff in relation to that too. I don't know that this will ever get there, but I am enamored by this. I have never heard of this what I'm about to tell you, and I find it interesting beyond no compare. I like the water, I like the sea, I like the I like to eat fish. I like to scuba dive. I've gone diving and actually caught my own lobster who grabbed it actually, which seemed really weird, but it was tasty after, so you know, that's the way it goes. And done some fishing that way as well. This is wild chess event underground. A guy by the name of Neeman. He's an American and his name's Hans Neeman. He yesterday won the underwater chess exhibition at the freestyle Chess Grand Slam Finals in Cape Town, South Africa, where the world's top tier players have gathered before this big event. They call it diving chess. It was created or devised at some point. I'm sure someone had done it someplace else at some time, but back in twenty twelve by an inventor by the name of ETN Illfield or Illfeld in London, who is the guy behind mind Sports Olympiad apparently, and this is from Reuters. There's all kinds of different events or whatever else. Now, if you've done some swimming, whether it's in the summertime, or maybe you go to the y or belong to a club, or you got an indoor pool, some high schools certainly do. I have friends that have been competitive swimmers and so forth. I remember going to a lore center and Dayton when I was a kid coming up, hanging out with my cousins, and we would throw coins, and they had these other weighted items they would toss into the pool, and then we would spend time going down and retrieving them and trying not to get stuck in the drain, which occasionally hear horrible stories about. It never occurred to me that I would play a board game under the water in the pool. I kind of see this as maybe being a pay per view event. I don't know, I may be kind of crazy, but I'm thinking of like all the other things, it could be brought into the fold that you could do underwater. And there's a lot of people got married underwater.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: They used to have the idea a couple of locations they You even do a search on YouTube or whatever old films of the people with these hotels where you would be underwater in an area where obviously there was air that was enclosed, but you could get out and do other stuff, and you'd see people do things. This is wild. There is a raining World Diving Chess Champion by the name of mcl Masquerades. It was there but only as an advisor in the midst of this. If these guys were playing chess matches can take a long time, my guess is they were able to like dive down. Because I haven't seen the video, I've just seen still photos of this. You see the chess board with the timer like clicker on the floor the bottom of the pool and someone just diving down. They make their move. I guess they come up, get air. The next player comes down, and I'm guessing they give them maybe a little bit more time to sort of figure it out. But players from all over the world. Is Bekastan, I mean, it's an odd place, but from there in India and a bunch of other places, Germany and so forth, or into this. So perhaps there's a future in underwater chess. When I went to write State, I took rocks for Jocks who was geology. I had a choice of the sciences. I could have taken biology or chemistry, but I'd done that in high school. I went for the underwater basket weaving that was one of mine in radio and then some other stuff. But it never occurred to me that you could do chess underwater. That's pretty wild. I'm just wondering would that be something you'd watch? And I would imagine you could wager on that. I mean, you can bet on all sorts of stuff. I don't know how above board all of it is. And you know, you hear about all these corruption of different things in one type or another, But I mean, I find this oddly interesting in gauwker type of like the behavior and so forth, compared to some of the other stuff that's out there. This is good. You can you know, you can wager on like table tennis, don't call it ping pong. The table tennis players of the world that are serious about this don't like it when you somehow like lower it to a level of what we may do in our basement or maybe in like you know, the garage or whatever else that you if you're into the ping pong, or at least you call it the ping pong, they frown on that. They think it's somehow demeaning or somehow not top notch. I mean, I could play checkers maybe competitively. Chess not so much. I mean in multi layered chess anyway, not for me, but regular chess maybe I could get by. But then you got to hold your breath and you've got to maintain your you know, your level, to stay at the bottom of the pool, make the move and come back up, and keep it all in your head. A lot of different wheels moving all at the same time, which seems maybe a little bit beyond my capabilities. But maybe there could be a future in it. Could be it could be one of those trial sports exhibitions in future, if they were ever going to bring it into it, and apparently they already have the Chess end of it altogether. So there is that at Sterling Radio one X. If you want to get interactive, you can certainly do that. Do you remember the movie it? I know there's like what is a dairy deal or whatever? I think, I don't know, one of the streaming things. I know it's in my list now. It's like an episodic thing about that whole thing that started out as a Stephen King novel if I'm not mistaken, and then has gone into multiple iterations. Subsequently, there's a guy who was convicted of wearing a clown mask, which creeps a lot of people out for a whole host of reasons. Crown clowns are generally just creepy and make me uncomfortable and unnerved in general. And it might go back to my time going to the circus as a kid and having them like run up on me in my grill, in my face, and I'm like, you need to get away. And you see kids sometimes and they get in that close proximity. Things are way different in the way you interact. And this story out of Albany, New York, or at least nearby All County, not far from where the Bengals will be playing the Bills sooner than not in Buffalo, much shorter drive than here. There's a guy thirty five years old who was found guilty of first degree menacing, third degree criminal possession of a weapon going back to the first of May. He was sentenced for February sixth, apparently is when that hearing is going to be. We'll see how long he goes away, could be up to seven years. In the lock up, he had a chainsaw and he was wearing a clown mask, which is just creepy and uncomfortable and apparently was menacing people, very threatening and involved in some type of near fisticuff's kind of engagement with somebody else. He wore that to clown mask. He had a football jersey on in a red chainsaw in the middle of the afternoon, which apparently he was engaging people or people were like, hey, dude, what are you doing. He also apparently supposedly had metal knuckles in some other stuff, which is pretty disturbing, and took off the plastic sheath from one of a better way to describe it, off of the blade of the chainsaw and then you know, it was quite threatening, and if you've ever worked with the chainsaw, you know it does quick work of like trees and stumps and stuff like that. My guess is, you know, wielding that in general is not a good idea. I mean, I remember it wasn't that long ago. It was like a pitchfork that was used in crime somewhere in the Try State. I remember talking about it, and then there was somebody else that had like a machete. And occasionally you hear about these lunatics that use these old school weapons to engage each other. You know, knifings are back too, people getting stabbed, But you don't hear much about the way of clowns carrying chainsaws, thankfully, because sleeping is hard enough to dream about a creepy clown with the chain saw chasing people through the streets. Better in New York than here, and certainly better the guys locked up and looking to go away for at least two years, but could go away for much longer than that. That's that's pretty wild. That's all I have to say about that. Straight away, your a midnight report. We'll see if it's another tandem tag team news event. Travis Laird, maybe Lee Mallen. I don't know who's got next. Maybe they'll do it together as they did just at the top of the or the bottom of the hour following the news. You know Joe Waddell is gonna keep us on time and online. Appreciate his help. Then you get to Kevin Gordon, an America's truck and network warmed up, ready to roll after midnight. I'm sterling back again tomorrow following Crosstown shootout Bearcats Musketeers. Right here tip off seven point thirty Nation Station or the Who Day plays Sunday in Buffalo. News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati